Author Topic: Harvey Elliott (Harvey Daniel James Elliott)  (Read 617784 times)

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
Re: Welcome Harvey
« Reply #3680 on: September 3, 2022, 06:41:22 am »
Incredible how this lad has bounced back from that horrific ankle injury. What a talent. Very exciting future.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #3681 on: September 3, 2022, 07:46:08 am »
Obviously its only a handful of games for both Elliott and the team but if there is a continuation in his form then for me it makes it clear that what we need is a more defensive minded midfielder, or at least one with a lot of energy that can help in transition.

I guess the counter could be that generally these sorts of players will cost less and you could get both.
Yeah, Henderson as LCM has played quite cautiously, making our setup looking a bit like a 4-2-3-1 (although Harvey does drop next to Fabinho in defense). Henderson plays more like Gini used to. This is necessary, because Harvey does not have the defensive capacity of Henderson. Making Harvey play more cautiously would be pointless, because his creativity is the main reason he should play at all. If we just want a midfielder to cover ground and keep the ball, we shouldn't play Harvey.

What we really miss IMO is someone like Henderson a few years ago, with lots of intensity and the ability to press for 90 min. None of the three young ones will ever be that player.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3682 on: September 3, 2022, 08:50:43 am »
If we can get Thiago fit and keep Fab and Elliot fit we’re going to be very, very good in midfield. Thiago does the control thing from LCM so we’ll, Elliot can run and run and make stuff happen in the final 3rd. We’re just desperate for someone who can do what Thiago does from LCM to take some of the burden off Harvey in a defensive sense, because he’s not great at that yet. Hopefully Arthur gets up to speed quickly.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #3683 on: September 3, 2022, 10:22:50 am »
If we can get Thiago fit and keep Fab and Elliot fit we’re going to be very, very good in midfield. Thiago does the control thing from LCM so we’ll, Elliot can run and run and make stuff happen in the final 3rd. We’re just desperate for someone who can do what Thiago does from LCM to take some of the burden off Harvey in a defensive sense, because he’s not great at that yet. Hopefully Arthur gets up to speed quickly.

The only issue with that 3 is that it’s slow - will be great in possession but they’ll struggle in transition - as we have this season (which Arthur does nothing to help)
You can play it and obviously it could be world class with the ball but I think you’d have to change what the full backs are doing

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3684 on: September 3, 2022, 10:34:16 am »
The only issue with that 3 is that it’s slow - will be great in possession but they’ll struggle in transition - as we have this season (which Arthur does nothing to help)
You can play it and obviously it could be world class with the ball but I think you’d have to change what the full backs are doing
I think we should if we're playing someone as attack minded as Elliott in midfield anyway. You don't need your full backs providing as much attacking threat with him on the pitch

Offline DefJack

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3685 on: September 3, 2022, 02:42:47 pm »
Utterly baffled by his continued selection, utterly baffled his delayed withdrawal.

His technique is superficially impressive, but fails him under pressure - he repeatedly turns the ball over in the first phase under even the vaguest sense of pressure.

His attacking passes are superficially promising, but his poor alignment (tendency to play towards the sides - rather than the centre, of the pitch) and propensity to push attacking passes either to feet, or force receptions to be carried away from goal, ultimately ensures that most offensive situations including him come to nought.

His attacking work around the box looks superficially exciting, he's demonstrated an ability to fake shots to create better opportunities for himself, yet his dreadful shooting and weak duelling ability leads to underwhelming shots and continued turnovers when he attempts to go 1v1 in the final third.

His defensive work looks superficially acceptable, yet he lacks any "feel" for the defensive aspect of the game, consistently failing to engage proactively and win challenges, and consistently failing to "read" and prevent opportunities for the opposition.

His physical ability can be described as little more than appalling, and his ability to offer transitional cover is ultimately non-existent.

It is clear to me - yet I doubt this will be a popular opinion, that he is actively suppressing our results this season. I'm certain that when he is finally removed from selection, the path to victories will be smoothed immeasurably.

Don't be taken in, he currently is far from good enough.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #3686 on: September 3, 2022, 02:50:13 pm »
Utterly baffled by his continued selection, utterly baffled his delayed withdrawal.

His technique is superficially impressive, but fails him under pressure - he repeatedly turns the ball over in the first phase under even the vaguest sense of pressure.

His attacking passes are superficially promising, but his poor alignment (tendency to play towards the sides - rather than the centre, of the pitch) and propensity to push attacking passes either to feet, or force receptions to be carried away from goal, ultimately ensures that most offensive situations including him come to nought.

His attacking work around the box looks superficially exciting, he's demonstrated an ability to fake shots to create better opportunities for himself, yet his dreadful shooting and weak duelling ability leads to underwhelming shots and continued turnovers when he attempts to go 1v1 in the final third.

His defensive work looks superficially acceptable, yet he lacks any "feel" for the defensive aspect of the game, consistently failing to engage proactively and win challenges, and consistently failing to "read" and prevent opportunities for the opposition.

His physical ability can be described as little more than appalling, and his ability to offer transitional cover is ultimately non-existent.

It is clear to me - yet I doubt this will be a popular opinion, that he is actively suppressing our results this season. I'm certain that when he is finally removed from selection, the path to victories will be smoothed immeasurably.

Hahaha well done- this really cheered me up
Funniest thing on here so far this season

Offline Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3687 on: September 3, 2022, 02:51:08 pm »

One of the worst posts I've read here.

Absolute drivel.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #3688 on: September 3, 2022, 02:52:33 pm »
More like DefDumbAndBlindJack.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline DefJack

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3689 on: September 3, 2022, 02:52:43 pm »
One of the worst posts I've read here.

Absolute drivel.

Thank you for your stunningly insightful refutation of the points I offered.

If you wish to look for drivel, look no further than your own post.

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #3690 on: September 3, 2022, 02:53:44 pm »

https://www.thesaurus.com/

Offline Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3691 on: September 3, 2022, 02:54:49 pm »

That was all the refutation it warranted.

Offline Huyrob

• Main Stander
« Reply #3692 on: September 3, 2022, 02:58:37 pm »

This post , superficially is from a knob.

Offline Avens

• Look around you! Clearly knows his Gary Gum from his Anti-Gary Gum.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3693 on: September 3, 2022, 03:00:54 pm »

BlindJack would be more apt. I say this after reading some absolute shockers recently, but this is one of the worst posts I've ever read.

I started trying to respond to each of the points but I realised each one is just a terrible take on a supremely talented young player, who is obviously highly regarded by many, including JK - and if Klopp's view on him isn't enough to convince you, I realise none of us will change your mind. All the best.
« Last Edit: September 3, 2022, 03:04:09 pm by Avens »
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now. - Jurgen Klopp

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3694 on: September 3, 2022, 03:01:48 pm »

What points?

Oh you mean the utter shite you posted?

Offline dirkster

• Legacy Fan
  • Dirk Kuyt. Working Class hero
« Reply #3695 on: September 3, 2022, 03:05:04 pm »

I think your post is superficial. Wholly lacking in any constructive insight and appreciation of what Harvey brings to to this team. I do wonder whether you're an envious supporter from another team. Jealousy can be a cruel mistress

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3696 on: September 3, 2022, 03:07:15 pm »
Jesus fucking christ, there seems to be idiots infecting every single thread on this board.

Offline MJD-L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Mellor, lovely cushioned header...For GERRAAARD!"
« Reply #3697 on: September 3, 2022, 03:07:23 pm »

He's been arguably our best player this season you absolute fucking helmet.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3698 on: September 3, 2022, 03:18:27 pm »
To be honest, I at least agree that something isn't right when he's in the team, our record with him on the pitch is not great, though it's a small sample size to be fair and there are other factors to account for in his games this season.

You'd think having someone who spends so much time in that top right area of the pitch would lead to more productivity from there but Salah and Trent have both looked worse with him on the pitch, we rarely see little one twos that get a player in behind, instead everything just looks so static. It's often Elliot making overlapping runs instead of Trent now, and he just isn't capable of making the most of it as Trent has a far better right foot. It also probably doesn't help that having three players all clumped together allows the opposition to put more defenders over there, congesting that area of the pitch and forcing Salah wider to get some space.

We seem to be weaker defensively with him playing that role and no better in an attacking sense, which begs the question of whether we should be using him how we are at all. That's not to say he hasn't been good, just that him being good hasn't necessarily been a benefit.

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #3699 on: September 3, 2022, 03:20:03 pm »
More like DefDumbAndBlindJack.
Sure can play pinball
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3700 on: September 3, 2022, 03:20:09 pm »

You should write a letter to Mr Jurgen Klopp an d tell him you know what you're talking about and he's a clueless German moron.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3701 on: September 3, 2022, 03:21:54 pm »
To be honest, I at least agree that something isn't right when he's in the team, our record with him on the pitch is not great, though it's a small sample size to be fair and there are other factors to account for in his games this season.

You'd think having someone who spends so much time in that top right area of the pitch would lead to more productivity from there but Salah and Trent have both looked worse with him on the pitch, we rarely see little one twos that get a player in behind, instead everything just looks so static. It's often Elliot making overlapping runs instead of Trent now, and he just isn't capable of making the most of it as Trent has a far better right foot. It also probably doesn't help that having three players all clumped together allows the opposition to put more defenders over there, congesting that area of the pitch and forcing Salah wider to get some space.

We seem to be weaker defensively with him playing that role and no better in an attacking sense, which begs the question of whether we should be using him how we are at all. That's not to say he hasn't been good, just that him being good hasn't necessarily been a benefit.
We've been so off with any number of combination of players playing that it's a bit pointless isolating individuals as the cause of any of it

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3702 on: September 3, 2022, 03:22:22 pm »

Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #3703 on: September 3, 2022, 03:23:05 pm »

Well that's certainly one take on it.

Offline PEG2K

• Could be Stan Boardman. Hates the Germans.
  • Kopite
« Reply #3704 on: September 3, 2022, 03:27:10 pm »

I basically said this a couple of pages ago.

We're sacrificing defence and control in the middle to accommodate his position on the right side of the pitch. By doing so, his attacking output better be like a KDB or a Messi. It's clearly not. It looks even worse today with Carvalho doing the same thing on the left side. Both of them can't defend. Fabinho was left gassed at the end trying to fill every hole.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3705 on: September 3, 2022, 03:28:24 pm »
Obviously that view is extreme but I still am in the not convinced camp. I dont like that right hand side set up and he certainly is not a central midfielder.

Offline Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3706 on: September 3, 2022, 03:31:14 pm »
Obviously that view is extreme but I still am in the not convinced camp. I dont like that right hand side set up and he certainly is not a central midfielder.

Yes he is, which is why he's playing there and has done since he came back from the loan at Blackburn.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3707 on: September 3, 2022, 03:32:01 pm »

You're not convinced by anything though.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3708 on: September 3, 2022, 03:32:21 pm »
Yes he is, which is why he's playing there and has done since he came back from the loan at Blackburn.

Not in a 2, which he did second half. For us he has been playing as an attacking midfielder as we play some lop sided 4-2-3-1.

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3709 on: September 3, 2022, 03:33:50 pm »

I can see what we've tried to do with him by overloading that area of the pitch but it just hasn't worked, it's far too predictable. Henderson is much better at creating those overloads because he picks his moments to join in, and being right footed he can overlap quite well. When Harvey just sits in that area for 90 minutes it seems to lead to a lot of short passes and eventually moving the ball off to the other side of the pitch.

Offline 12Kings

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3710 on: September 3, 2022, 03:43:52 pm »
I think the lads boss but he likes the ball at his feet a lot. He needs to learn to look for a pass sooner, like lightening fast!  as he’s drifting a lot out of position, usually overlapping Trent and Mo.

Offline PEG2K

• Could be Stan Boardman. Hates the Germans.
  • Kopite
« Reply #3711 on: September 3, 2022, 03:45:42 pm »
No he isn't. Have a look. Taken from the Liverpool Midfield thread:

Putting him on the RCM position completely disbalances the midfield. Same thing for Carvalho on the left side. Put them both together and you get this abomination of a midfield.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #3712 on: September 3, 2022, 03:46:06 pm »
Play him as a pure 10 instead of this weird 8/10 hybrid that's confusing our entire team.  I'm going to keep saying it till it happens.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3713 on: September 3, 2022, 03:49:44 pm »

Yes he is, which is why Jurgen Klopp is playing him there.

Maybe the manager is just not seeing something that you are. But he clearly views Harvey Elliott as a CM, which is why he's playing him there.

Offline Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3714 on: September 3, 2022, 03:59:52 pm »

Putting him on the RCM position completely disbalances the midfield. Same thing for Carvalho on the left side. Put them both together and you get this abomination of a midfield.

That is absolutely horrific. Don't the maps for most of our games this season look pretty similar, bar maybe the LCM tending to be a bit more central?

Harvey has been individually excellent this season so far but I think if we're planning to play him as a RCM then we really ought to be looking at someone significantly more mobile in the #6 position, plus someone with a bit more bite at LCM, because as it is I'm struggling to see how a Fabinho-Elliott-[insert any other LFC player] midfield doesn't get routinely destroyed on the counter or completely overrun when teams come out to contest the middle of the park. Fine in games where he have the opposition absolutely hemmed in and they have no meaningful outball, but we're way too easy to play through right now.

As Schmidt says, you could maybe justify the approach if we were reaping attacking dividends, but Trent and Salah have been well below par. How much of that is form, and how much of that is them being rendered less effective by the change in the system is probably up for debate, but they're clearly being asked to (or forced to) take up positions that I just don't think play to their strengths at all.

It's a bit of a weird one in that I think both Harvey and Carvalho would probably be best in a position we don't use, and which Klopp seems dead against trying.

Offline Bob Sacamano

• Legacy Fan
  • Alleged Manc and/or Gooner
« Reply #3715 on: September 3, 2022, 04:33:14 pm »

I wouldn’t go that far, but I sort of agree his elite progression stats are not telling the whole story. He’s not a klopp midfielder for me, just doesn’t have the physical stature or athleticism to cover enough ground and win enough duels that you need to in this system. Looks a like a pure no. 10 to me, but we don’t play with one. That could be a problem.

He has some nice synergy with salah and Trent but with those 3 the right side is begging to be countered through.

Offline Knight

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3716 on: September 3, 2022, 04:44:01 pm »
But this whole 'typical Klopp midfielder' doesn't really fly given the rest of our midfield options. Because at this stage, literally NONE of them are a typical Klopp midfielder.

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3717 on: September 3, 2022, 04:48:57 pm »
I wouldn’t go that far, but I sort of agree his elite progression stats are not telling the whole story. He’s not a klopp midfielder for me, just doesn’t have the physical stature or athleticism to cover enough ground and win enough duels that you need to in this system. Looks a like a pure no. 10 to me, but we don’t play with one. That could be a problem.

He has some nice synergy with salah and Trent but with those 3 the right side is begging to be countered through.

Does he though? They just seem so static together, no one is really moving or able to find space, the overlapping runs seem to have dried up and Trent is finding himself more infield while Salah is stuck out on the touchline.

Offline Knight

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3718 on: September 3, 2022, 04:57:29 pm »
There was a moment today where Salah at RB played a pass to Trent who was in a sort of half space area where Salah would often be. Trent promptly lost it because he’s no good on the half turn and then we were countered on. It was a moment that sums up the weird dysfunction we’ve got going on right now.

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #3719 on: September 3, 2022, 05:10:42 pm »
We're using the same tactics as we did last year that saw us score a ton of goals and have a great campaign. Hendo played the RCM just the same, Keita as well just they have a bit more defensive nous to their game. Harvey is great at RCM assuming you have competent DM and LCM play. Unfortunately that just hasn't happened consistently(if at all) this season. To point the finger at him is kind of ridiculous considering the rest of the issues.