Author Topic: Most underrated footballers (excluding Liverpool players)  (Read 20035 times)

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
Re: Most underrated footballers (excluding Liverpool players)
« Reply #120 on: June 15, 2019, 01:56:10 pm »
You sure you don't mean Dejan Savićević? Stankovic was bang average  ???

Stankovic was phenomenal in his last season at Lazio, but then got a more hidden role at Inter. Bit inconsistent, but definitely was a really good player.
Linudden.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #121 on: June 15, 2019, 01:58:27 pm »
Laughable that someone can say Ronaldo is underrated. :lmao

All they have to do is check that Youtube video of his only season Barcelona and see the 40+ goals he scored that season at 20 years old as the starting point of many ridiculous videos of him there.

I remember watching that game live on Sky when he was Barca and he scored that amazing goal that left Bobby Robson literally gobsmacked, 1st season of Spanish football on Sky and it was the season of Ronaldo at Barcelona, then we got to see him on channel 4 on Sunday afternoons with Italian football.

He's top 3 of all time, never have i seen a player with all the attributes rolled into one of pace strength skill balance and finishing.

Like Messi is today, he was a cheat code in real life football.

Underrated in comparison to where he should be amonst the top players of all time.
Too many put lesser players above him,that's why he is underrated.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #122 on: June 15, 2019, 02:01:19 pm »
Even though Pavel Nedved won the Ballon d'Or once, I feel like he didn't get the credit he deserved. He was extremely influential in taking Lazio to the double in 2000 and then replaced Zidane at Juventus as if though nothing had happened. The difference between him and Zizou was that he didn't show up as much in the biggest games, but for a regular league stroll, he was fantastic. Also, as far as international honours go, don't forget he's Czech (small nation) and still he got to one Euro final and was desperately unlucky not to defeat Greece in 2004, when he, Rosický, Poborský and Baros had playtime until that game.
Linudden.

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #123 on: June 15, 2019, 02:01:42 pm »
Norberto Solano -- Love this type of player.  Wingback, right back, press, work, pass and stir the pot

Romario - within Brazil's pantheon of players needs more recognition (he had it all)

Elias Figueroa - CB for Chile (immense presence - world class)

Silvio Marzolini - Argentina's best left back in history

Papa Bouba Diop - A Hard Man in the middle of the park

Ruben Sosa - Left footed artist with a thunderbolt or two in his arsenal

Eduardo Hurtado - Most capped male South American ever

*** these selections were brought to you by the drafters of the COPA/AFCON draft in the Flagpole Corner. They are not meant to influence any extra voting in this draft, but if you decide to participate these blokes are deffo underrated.

This advertisement was paid for by the Friends of Trend --- helping him adjust to losing in most every draft he competes in.  Because if you do not know who the fool is in the room, its you.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 02:21:46 pm by The Piss-artist Formerly Known As Trendisnotdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #124 on: June 15, 2019, 02:03:18 pm »
Jean-Pierre Papin.

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: June 15, 2019, 02:08:12 pm »
Zico. An absolute maestro.

If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: June 15, 2019, 02:12:40 pm »
Jean-Pierre Papin.
If anything, he was overrated at the time for me

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: June 15, 2019, 02:13:54 pm »
Rui Costa was underrated imo. Amazing midfielder, he should've gone to bigger teams way earlier

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #128 on: June 15, 2019, 02:15:50 pm »
I thought I'd also nominate David Villa.

Had he gotten his transfer to Real Madrid in his prime and gotten to play as the main man up front rather than Benzema, with those surroundings, he'd banged in 40 goals per season. Had everything in the game on the floor, the speed, technique, two feet, long-range efforts and stuff. No wonder Spain won so much when he was around. Even in secondary wing roles at Barcelona and Atlético, he never failed to deliver, although it was in the central role at Valencia he really carried them and was unbelievable. At Barca he was forced to be Messi's wingman and that didn't suit him as well in terms of goalscoring.
Linudden.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: June 15, 2019, 02:21:58 pm »
Le Tissier. Not sure you could away with his defensive invisibility in this day and age but I was a schoolkid when he was doing his thing and he was the talk of the playground. Use to basically keep Southampton up by himself, scored 49/50 penalties and 208 goals in total in 500 odd games.

Remember reading an interview with Xavi where he said he was his favorite player as a youth.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: June 15, 2019, 02:26:20 pm »
Edin Dzeko is another one for me

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: June 15, 2019, 02:33:01 pm »
I am probably one of the few here who thinks this, but even though he's a bit of shitbag for work rate/and how he handled leaving West Ham, I think Dmitri Payet could have been one of the world's best.

One season, he was responsible for me watching more West Ham games than I had seen in my entire life (both a Pyrrhic victory and a nauseating prospect).   He dribbled through defenses, weaving his way to glorious goals, hit some unbelievable world class free kicks, and had a deft pass or two for his teammates.

Not really underrated, but in the category of woulda,shoulda, coulda, Payet could have exploded into an entire other category.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/QZMSSeK2RA0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/QZMSSeK2RA0</a>
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 03:16:36 pm by The Piss-artist Formerly Known As Trendisnotdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: June 15, 2019, 02:34:35 pm »
Wayne Rooney.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: June 15, 2019, 02:36:50 pm »
Wayne Rooney.

Underrated or overrated?
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Cu Chulainn

• "It's Peanut Butter Fascist Time!" (thinkaboutit). greedy, stupid, selfish capitalist pig who hates the poor and wants to euthanise the disabled.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: June 15, 2019, 03:15:21 pm »
Wayne Rooney.
Brilliant player but self-inflicted; his fitness fell off a cliff. If he had (Portuguese) Ronaldo's dedication, he could've been better for a lot longer. 

Online Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #135 on: June 15, 2019, 03:23:14 pm »
Thread dedicated to discussing some of the most underrated footballers (excl LFC players).

I’ll kick things off with 2 of my favourites. Neither get included often enough in the greatest ever lists.

Roberto Baggio >> the ponytail, the magician, dribbler extrordinaire.

I don't think Roberto Baggio was underrated, he was a wonderful player and at the time of Italia 90 he was the world record transfer.

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #136 on: June 15, 2019, 03:33:26 pm »
So this is where all the drafters are hanging out  :D

Stefan Effenberg for me. Mostly just remembered as a hard as nails midfield general - which he sure was - but he also posessed incredible vision and deep lying playmaking skills akin to our Xabi's.

Here's a nice video of his passing range:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/TRH1w65ej6c" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/TRH1w65ej6c</a>
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: June 15, 2019, 03:41:12 pm »
Andreas Moeller, Chapuisat and Jurgen Koehler

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #138 on: June 15, 2019, 03:41:46 pm »
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: June 15, 2019, 04:11:25 pm »
So this is where all the drafters are hanging out  :D

Stefan Effenberg for me. Mostly just remembered as a hard as nails midfield general - which he sure was - but he also possessed incredible vision and deep lying playmaking skills akin to our Xabi's.

Here's a nice video of his passing range:

He was also a bit nuts.  The intensity with Kahn, Effenberg and the usual Bayern suspects had to have been off the charts.
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: June 15, 2019, 04:12:44 pm »
Juan Carlos Valeron

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: June 15, 2019, 05:12:55 pm »
Miroslav Klose (scored and scored)
Vincent Kompany (yes, I went there)
Dennis Bergkamp (missed him more when he was gone)
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #142 on: June 15, 2019, 05:14:09 pm »
Niall Quinn

Quinn & Phillips was quite a pairing

Offline beardsleyismessimk1

• Owner Of A Messy Room!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is for living, so live it
« Reply #143 on: June 15, 2019, 07:22:34 pm »
Denílson de Oliveira, known simply as Denílson, is a Brazilian retired footballer who played as a left winger. In a 16-year professional career he played mainly with São Paulo and Real Betis; who made him the world's most expensive player in 1998.
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Offline Zimagic

• Legacy Fan
  • Liar, liar with your drawers on fire......
« Reply #144 on: June 17, 2019, 09:46:22 am »
Dennis Bergkamp (missed him more when he was gone)

Good shout. I think his aversion to flying and never having won anything major outside of England counts against him but he was a beautiful footballer.

That goal against newcastle....
"Truth, Justice, Freedom, Reasonably-Priced Love and a Hard-Boiled Egg!"

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #145 on: June 17, 2019, 10:01:11 am »
Denílson de Oliveira, known simply as Denílson, is a Brazilian retired footballer who played as a left winger. In a 16-year professional career he played mainly with São Paulo and Real Betis; who made him the world's most expensive player in 1998.
Two things from this:
1. Don’t think he was particularly underrated.
2. Real Betis broke the World Transfer record. Crazy times.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: June 17, 2019, 07:21:03 pm »
Two things from this:
1. Don’t think he was particularly underrated.
2. Real Betis broke the World Transfer record. Crazy times.

I actually thought Denilson was overrated. Whenever i watched him he was seriously bad. Just did a million stepovers and no end product.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: June 17, 2019, 07:56:55 pm »
I am probably one of the few here who thinks this, but even though he's a bit of shitbag for work rate/and how he handled leaving West Ham, I think Dmitri Payet could have been one of the world's best.

One season, he was responsible for me watching more West Ham games than I had seen in my entire life (both a Pyrrhic victory and a nauseating prospect).   He dribbled through defenses, weaving his way to glorious goals, hit some unbelievable world class free kicks, and had a deft pass or two for his teammates.

Not really underrated, but in the category of woulda,shoulda, coulda, Payet could have exploded into an entire other category.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/QZMSSeK2RA0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/QZMSSeK2RA0</a>

His FK against Palace, the last one in that video, still leaves my jaw on the floor to this day whenever I watch it.

Defies logic and physics.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: June 17, 2019, 08:06:14 pm »
Wayne Rooney.

Good one 😂😂👍👍👍👍
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: June 17, 2019, 08:06:34 pm »
How can a balon d'Or winner be underated?

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: June 17, 2019, 08:38:58 pm »
Roy Keane. c*nt like, But If anyone brings up an all time 11 convo, he comes to mind to hold midfield. With Souness of course. Mancs love him and rightly so, but outside of that you don't hear much and during their purple patch he was their best player for me.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: June 17, 2019, 08:41:30 pm »
Roy Keane makes most all time premiership 11s.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #152 on: June 17, 2019, 08:47:21 pm »
How can a balon d'Or winner be underated?

Michael Owen, by Liverpool fans?! :D

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #153 on: June 17, 2019, 08:49:11 pm »
Zico. An absolute maestro.

A poor second to the original Zico.

Though we can't mention him in here.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: June 17, 2019, 08:50:42 pm »
Michael Owen, by Liverpool fans?! :D

Not underrated just a massive plum

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #155 on: June 17, 2019, 08:56:16 pm »
Not underrated just a massive plum

Fair. But I think that does sometimes stop us reminiscing about him the way we do about our other top quality strikers. You kind of forget how reliable he was for a sustained period. Then again he never hit the peak numbers those others did over a single campaign.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #156 on: June 17, 2019, 08:57:42 pm »
I actually thought Denilson was overrated. Whenever i watched him he was seriously bad. Just did a million stepovers and no end product.
Am inclined to agree. Was one of the players to watch at World Cup 98 yet did nothing.

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: June 17, 2019, 09:02:30 pm »
Marcos Senna

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: June 17, 2019, 09:05:03 pm »
Roy Keane makes most all time premiership 11s.

I donn't think he makes most, a quick google search says he's in a few, but pickers aren't looking for a DM they want Gerrard Lampard and Scholes.

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: June 17, 2019, 09:06:17 pm »