Author Topic: Wrestling Thread (AEW, NJPW, WWE, etc) (*)  (Read 469651 times)

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Re: Wrestling Thread (AEW, NJPW, WWE, etc) (*)
« Reply #1520 on: April 1, 2020, 04:42:53 pm »
When is this tournament happening? Might just be the only bunch of wrestlers who are available to participate right now.  Sammy or Darby should absolutely be the first two picks for this title.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #1521 on: April 1, 2020, 05:02:48 pm »
When is this tournament happening? Might just be the only bunch of wrestlers who are available to participate right now.  Sammy or Darby should absolutely be the first two picks for this title.

They've given themselves until the end of May at the PPV to get to two finalists, so only have to fit 6 matches in what, 8 weeks of Dynamite? But yes, it's possible that some people who would have been involved have been left out due to the ongoing situation.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Kip Sabian and Jungle Boy in the other side of the draw as further young hyped talent (not quite with Sammy or Darby's exposure but about one rung behind), but with Cody in there, it's possible you put MJF in the mix... he's the top heel not currently involved in the title picture.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1522 on: April 1, 2020, 05:35:20 pm »
Meant to ask this before mate but which PPV is meant to be their WrestleMania?  ;D

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #1523 on: April 1, 2020, 08:24:11 pm »
I'm not sure, they've never hyped any of the PPVs like that on their shows (I don't follow any behind the scenes wrestling news). Wrestlemania had the advantage of predating the other WWF PPVs by a couple of years, so it being regarded as the 'main' one I guess came organically from that? AEW is in a different position in that they outright stated they'd have quarterly shows and we've only been discovering the names of them as we go along. If any of them have a claim it's Double or Nothing, seeing as last year's was their first PPV (and it's at a similar time of the year).

Does a promotion really need a 'primary' annual PPV anyway? Isn't that just putting a heap of extra pressure on everyone involved?
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1524 on: April 1, 2020, 08:42:34 pm »
Does a promotion really need a 'primary' annual PPV anyway? Isn't that just putting a heap of extra pressure on everyone involved?

It works well from a narrative and financial standpoint, there's a reason it's so big.

WCW had Starrcade and TNA had Bound for Glory.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1525 on: April 1, 2020, 08:53:30 pm »
Agree with Claus to a point but imagine putting up BOUND FOR GLORY as a equal against STARRCADE.  ;D

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1526 on: April 1, 2020, 09:15:17 pm »
For matches that never happened:

Undertaker vs. Sting
HBK vs. The Rock
Steve Austin vs. Hulk Hogan
Ultimate Warrior vs. Brock Lesnar (I just want to see this)
Goldberg vs. John Cena
Kurt Angle vs. Bret Hart
Chris Jericho vs. Owen Hart
CM Punk vs. Roddy Piper
Ric Flair vs. AJ Styles
Randy Savage vs. Daniel Bryan
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #1527 on: April 2, 2020, 06:46:49 am »
Anniversary of the greatest PPV in WWE and wrestling history

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/srhd2fZyDB4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/srhd2fZyDB4</a>

That promo still gives me goosebumps.

If WWE can recapture even 5% of that feeling then they will be on the right track

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1528 on: April 2, 2020, 12:04:31 pm »
WWE will never come close to that again. It was just a great time to be a wrestling fan. Was watching a video of all Wrestlemania intros (link below) and it's depressing to see how gradually, the energy and excitement in the crowd gets less and less. Also reminded me how much I miss JR on commentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arp6k8qOdm8

Offline Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #1529 on: April 2, 2020, 01:48:45 pm »
So the other 4 guys in the tournament are:

Kip Sabian vs Dustin Rhodes

Lance Archer vs Colt Cabana

Dustin's an odd choice but if the idea is to start a Kip push then beating an established name is a decent move. Archer/Cabana another weird one as Colt's been on a bit of a roll (and has had a recent run in with Kip that could play into a potential semi) but Archer is a brand new monster heel so having him lose early would be strange (unless he loses via dq or something).

It's a decent looking set of quarter finals because you could believe anyone could go through and almost all of the potential semis would have some backstory or potential angle to them.

Oh yeah, and Darby took out Cody after they lost the tag match. I don't see a heel turn coming, but...

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #1530 on: April 2, 2020, 09:28:33 pm »
Expecting a Darby Allin v Lance Archer final. Shawn Spears needed a win over Cody when they first had that feud a year ago so I hope he finally gets it.

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1531 on: April 3, 2020, 09:02:32 am »

If WWE can recapture even 5% of that feeling then they will be on the right track

They Debra storyline in the middle was very typical of the attitude era, a pointless side-story in the feud.

Austin cut through all that bullshit in the promo and made it about the title.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #1532 on: April 3, 2020, 07:56:40 pm »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/srhd2fZyDB4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/srhd2fZyDB4</a>

Those were the days

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #1533 on: April 4, 2020, 09:39:05 am »
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #1534 on: April 4, 2020, 02:06:15 pm »
They Debra storyline in the middle was very typical of the attitude era, a pointless side-story in the feud.

Austin cut through all that bullshit in the promo and made it about the title.
There are two downsides to that promo and the match itself. One is the Debra angle you mention. The other is the ending. I consider Austin’s heel turn a disaster. He himself has said that the best finish would have been to accept the interference from Vince but still give him the stunner. It would show the lengths Austin was willing to go to for the title and yet keep him a face.

After that match came the beginning of the end for Austin. The heel turn devolved into a comedy storyline with Kurt Angle, then the wasted Invasion months and then you’re not far away from the first of the insufferable “What?” chants.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1535 on: April 4, 2020, 04:24:05 pm »
Heel Austin was fucking gold.

I know people didn't boo him and it fucked up the business etc but the actual character was really well done until the Invasion stuff.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1536 on: April 4, 2020, 06:46:41 pm »
There are two downsides to that promo and the match itself. One is the Debra angle you mention. The other is the ending. I consider Austin’s heel turn a disaster. He himself has said that the best finish would have been to accept the interference from Vince but still give him the stunner. It would show the lengths Austin was willing to go to for the title and yet keep him a face.

After that match came the beginning of the end for Austin. The heel turn devolved into a comedy storyline with Kurt Angle, then the wasted Invasion months and then you’re not far away from the first of the insufferable “What?” chants.
I think the real issue was that Rock was going at the same time and Jericho was still a mid-carder, meaning there were no big faces left to have a top-level feud with Austin. He was missing the top babyface that would have really allowed him to get over as a bastard.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1537 on: April 4, 2020, 06:47:52 pm »
Heel Austin was a joke. Austin himself admitted it pretty much.  ;D

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1538 on: April 4, 2020, 08:31:12 pm »
So is Mania tonight? Feels like they've completely screwed it up

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1539 on: April 4, 2020, 08:52:01 pm »
So is Mania tonight? Feels like they've completely screwed it up

Yes tonight and tomorrow. I have no idea which matches are for which night as they haven't been marketing it as "Night 1 and Night 2" on social media like every other wrestling company that runs double headers.

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1540 on: April 4, 2020, 09:36:47 pm »
I'm watching wrestling for the first time in over a year tonight.

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #1541 on: April 4, 2020, 09:49:54 pm »

The greatest match in WWE history too

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #1542 on: April 4, 2020, 10:24:26 pm »
The other is the ending. I consider Austin’s heel turn a disaster. He himself has said that the best finish would have been to accept the interference from Vince but still give him the stunner. It would show the lengths Austin was willing to go to for the title and yet keep him a face.

Austin’s heel turn wasn’t a disaster, his booking once turning heel was a joke, not to mention Rock was gone so he had no big babyface to feud with.

That idea from Austin on his booking sounds like trash imo, he gets help from Vince (someone he hates and has feuded with since 1998) and then stuns him? It makes him look like a chicken shit babyface which wouldn’t work.

And if Vince doesn’t interfere and Austin stays as a face then no logical way for him to win the match, it wouldn’t make any sense having Austin (in 2001) going over the number 1 babyface in the company in The Rock.

Austin turning heel with Vince and ‘killing the Rock with steel chairs was a amazing shocking moment. The booking that followed sucked but the turn was one of the best Mania moments of all time.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1543 on: April 5, 2020, 12:26:28 am »
WELCOME TO WRESTLEM THE PERFORMANCE CENTRE.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1544 on: April 5, 2020, 12:34:33 am »
It's so weird. But still feels flat.

They should've genuinely had psychadelic drapes or something that removes all the black and makes it look colourful. Just feels like a regular Covid Raw/Smackdown still.

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1545 on: April 5, 2020, 12:35:19 am »
So not sure if anyone has mentioned it here but the tag titles are being defended in a singles triple threat match

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1546 on: April 5, 2020, 12:36:21 am »
Why do they stand on the stage and pose and look out at a crowd that isn't there? These guys like Corbin been taught only one way to perform from the start and it shows.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1547 on: April 5, 2020, 12:39:06 am »
This is like watching your favourite Sitcom without a  laughing track and realising it sucks

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1548 on: April 5, 2020, 12:41:20 am »
I honestly think they should've delayed Mania and hold another "PPV" tonight. WRESTLEMANIA doesn't deserve this.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1549 on: April 5, 2020, 12:43:52 am »
So not sure if anyone has mentioned it here but the tag titles are being defended in a singles triple threat match
I just saw that when flicking through the pre-show and kinda thought "well the rules for the world are out the window".

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1550 on: April 5, 2020, 12:51:16 am »
I honestly think they should've delayed Mania and hold another "PPV" tonight. WRESTLEMANIA doesn't deserve this.

The way things are going over here, the next Mania will be the same

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #1551 on: April 5, 2020, 12:56:00 am »
This is awful, they could have created a set atleast

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1552 on: April 5, 2020, 01:49:47 am »
Great triple threat match there! Mentality monsters doing that type of match with those bumps in front of no fans. Morrison of course is a veteran of these situations having worked in TNA for the last few years.

2 hours into Wrestlemania and not one straightforward clean finish yet.

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #1553 on: April 5, 2020, 03:06:53 am »
That main event was amazing, loved it

Taker vs Sting next year in this setting please

Offline SheikhMo

• Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #1554 on: April 5, 2020, 03:42:07 am »
Wow that Boneyard match was the best thing the wwe have produced in the last 10 years!
"If you're struggling in a game you can either do two things, send your centre back (Robert Huth) up front as a centre forward or use Luis Garcia between the lines." - Rafa Benitez

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1555 on: April 5, 2020, 05:40:59 am »
Undertaker v Kane or Sting in that setting would be amazing, he should end his career like that.

It's a shame Wrestlemania has come to this, just doesn't feel right. Also hope that's the last we see of Goldberg, don't think he could've done a jackhammer on Strowman even if he tried

Offline kloppagetime

• Is severely disappointed with Liverpool’s performance levels in 2020, especially pre-season.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1556 on: April 5, 2020, 09:38:31 am »
Surprise surprise Becky Lynch burying talent once again  ::)

Bet Charlotte beats Rhea tonight, the woman's division booking is fucking garbage same two talentless hacks always bury everyone and are constantly shoved down our throats
« Last Edit: April 5, 2020, 09:41:58 am by kloppagetime »

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #1557 on: April 5, 2020, 09:59:47 am »
The ladder match was the best thing until the AMAZING Boneyard match!

Who saw something that good coming??

It was like how WWE's movies should've turned out  :)

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #1558 on: April 5, 2020, 10:13:36 am »
Yeah without a live audience, it's basically a movie. Wonder if this is the route they'll go down longer term too
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #1559 on: April 5, 2020, 10:51:13 am »
Yeah without a live audience, it's basically a movie. Wonder if this is the route they'll go down longer term too

Alvarez had a good shout that Taker could do this every year. He said 5 years, but if he ever wants to retire PROPERLY I'd love something like this next year against (no offence to AJ, who was great here) someone meaningful. 5 years is a bit much - he's 55!