Author Topic: League Cup and Club World Cup.  (Read 182538 times)

Offline Raid

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Mental people on here turning their noses down at cups. Fucking win them all, Supercup, Charity Shield, Club World Cup ect.... it's what football is about.

I can't wait for these finals.

Agree. We went seven bloody years without one.

Go get em all Reds.

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
We waited 7 years to win a trophy and suddenly people are turning their noses up at a chance to win one?

You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline El Ninos Black Eye

• Legacy Fan
  • What we do in life, echoes in eternity!
Used to be played over two legs as well.  Although in 84 we only played one leg v Juve at their ground and the same in 86 for Steau v Kiev, for some reason (wasn’t played in 85 after Heysel). Then went back to two legs. They eventually back to one with the Final in Monaco for a number of years
Also wasn’t held in 81 after we beat Real as well. Not sure why possibly fixture congestion and not being able to fit it in
« Last Edit: June 4, 2019, 07:57:09 pm by El Ninos Black Eye »
"I'm being watched by the Secret Police and wondering when they’re going to come and take me away"

Offline RedSamba

• Legacy Fan
  • EUROPEAN ROYALTY
win all the fuckin trophies!!! I almost forgot what it feels like and now i cant get enough of it

Offline SinceSixtyFive

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We are Liverpool. Resistance is futile.
Mental people on here turning their noses down at cups. Fucking win them all, Supercup, Charity Shield, Club World Cup ect.... it's what football is about.

Its up. Turning their noses up. Apart from that totally agree.

Offline AttaRed

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
I can remember this being played on a Friday night in Monaco. The group stage draw would take place in the afternoon, and then this game in the evening. Used to be dubbed the curtain raiser for the European club football season.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
win all the fuckin trophies!!! I almost forgot what it feels like and now i cant get enough of it

I know, fucking idiots on here crying about our participation in different competitions, absolute mings. Win them all.

Offline Onward Liverpudlian

• Kopite
Yeah the super cup is a waste of time, a bit like the community shield

Would love us to win this one

Always thought that myself as well.

My priorities for next season are as follows;

Joint 1st priorities: Premier League and European Cup - I love the European Cup equally to the league title so many great memories of 70's/80's and 05 with ol' big ears and it's funny how much us winning it this year has pissed off Manchester City despite them not having a bad season themselves. Don't get me wrong i'm desperate for the league but for me they are equally important.
3rd Priority: FA Cup
4th priority: FIFA World Club Cup - I really want us to get this out of the way before it gets all so very important in 2021
5th Priorty: League Cup
6th priority: FA Community Shield
Last priority: Super Cup

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
We might as well win it.

Offline Ocean Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • What doesn't kill you, makes you...stranger!!!
The uefa super cup and fa community shield are just glorified friendlies really with a trophy. But winning the fifa club world cup officially calls you the best club side in the World. It is a competition with all the champions from all the other continents, i really want to win It, plus we have never won it. It is the hardest competition to qualify for as you have to win the Champions League to qualify for it.

Offline Hoenheim

• Legacy Fan
  • Lovely cushioned header for Gerrard...
Without Hazard they'll get proper stuffed, August 14th can't come soon enough.
I love Emre Can more than both of my children. Fact

Offline Lofty Ambitions

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Its up. Turning their noses up. Apart from that totally agree.
;D

WIN.THEM.ALL.
The Boy from Brazil!
Redeem us in your stone arms
Float like Papillon
Transfer Haiku by Bud P Austin

Offline Lotus Eater

• "The first picture of you! The first picture of summer. See the flowers scream their joy!" Father of Water Melon Eater.
  • Kopite
  • Yer Ma wears army boots
Objective #1 - don't pick up any injuries that may keep key players out of >1 game
11 September 1999 - Slater Street. 2 beers, a packet of crisps and a truncheon please.

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
I know, fucking idiots on here crying about our participation in different competitions, absolute mings. Win them all.

Sure you’d be delighted with injuries to our players and it fucked up our season but yes, we are all mings
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline my usenme changed?

• Self-appointed moderator for comic topics
  • Kopite
  • RAWK Librarian
Sure you’d be delighted with injuries to our players and it fucked up our season but yes, we are all mings

It’ll be either the 2nd or 3rd game of the season so I doubt injuries to the squad at that stage will be a huge factor.

It’s another trophy, let’s win it!! If anyone gets the chance too, google the image for the original super cup trophy, it’s bonkers, wish they had kept it!
Mid-Ulster Kopite  ---  BELIEVER

77 * 78 * 81 * 84 * 05 * 19
Follow me on Twitter for stuff about LFC and, er, Libraries. www.twitter.com/@cahalboyd

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
It’ll be either the 2nd or 3rd game of the season so I doubt injuries to the squad at that stage will be a huge factor.

It’s another trophy, let’s win it!! If anyone gets the chance too, google the image for the original super cup trophy, it’s bonkers, wish they had kept it!
Damn that is bonkers.

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
Just to save the main board being clogged up for now with separate threads for these three.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool to play in Qatar this December for the Club World Cup
« Reply #337 on: June 4, 2019, 10:35:47 pm »
So tell me this because its before my time.
There was a fella on the radio today, a Liverpool fan who sounded like he was in his 60's at least. He made a point about this competition I had never even considered.
He said he really wants us to win this because in 50 years from now, it could be a huge thing to win, giving the example of the Champions League/European Cup 50 years or so ago.
He said Madrid won that a lot in the 50's, but that most teams then weren't too bothered about it and were more concerned with winning the FA Cup. But now, its just said Madrid have won the European Cup 13 times, and no one remembers that 5 of them were when it wasn't considered the main prize.
Is that true ?

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
Details of these so far:

Community Shield.
Vs Manchester City.
Date TBD (likely to be 4 August 2019)
Wembley Stadium

European Super Cup
Vs Chelsea
Date 14 August 2019 8pm
Vodafone Park, Istanbul

World Club Cup
Teams confirmed - Liverpool FC (Europe), Monterrey (N America), Esperance de Tunis (Africa), Al-Sadd* (champions of host country), Hienghène Sport (Oceania). Champions of S American and Asia TBD. Al-Sadd will not participate if a different Qatari team wins the Asian Champions League (in which case the runners up of that competition will also be invited to attend).
LFC to enter at the semi-final stage and will avoid the champions of S America.
Dates 11 to 21 December 2019.
Qatar.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
If Al-Sadd wins the AFC Champions League, does the second team in Qatar or the AFC runner-up get the invitation then?
Linudden.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
People keep talking about  how people treat this outside Europe but Real Madrid the biggest club in the world who are in Europe take it seriously just like Barca do as well and last I checked, they are both in Europe. This is typical English arrogance and supremacist mentality. It's the Brexit mentality.

Wish people would stop with this whole brexit rubbish to explain everything, especially when the example is a country who colonised ther other quarter of the world.
« Last Edit: June 4, 2019, 11:09:50 pm by Coolie High »

Offline JerseyKloppite

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
If Al-Sadd wins the AFC Champions League, does the second team in Qatar or the AFC runner-up get the invitation then?

AFC runner up.

Wiki says:
Al-Sadd won the 2018–19 Qatar Stars League on 4 April 2019. However, if a team from Qatar wins the AFC Champions League, the runners-up of the AFC Champions League will be invited in place of Al-Sadd. Therefore, the participation of Al-Sadd will only be officially confirmed after the last team from Qatar other than Al-Sadd themselves (Al-Duhail) is eliminated from the 2019 AFC Champions League.

They don't want two teams from the same country in the tournament, I think.

So no idea what they do it two Qatari sides meet in the final.
« Last Edit: June 4, 2019, 11:28:40 pm by JerseyKloppite »

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Qatar has a professional league?

Who knew.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline iAnfieldRoad

• Legacy Fan
  • JUSTICE IS COMING
Liverpool is made for winning trophies a great man once said.We go to win everything otherwise whats the point in playing games.
Justice for the 97
You`ll never walk alone

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan

Nobody is turning up their noses at cups but its a matter of what is realistically possible and what isn't. We don't have the squad to compete on 4 fronts let alone anything additional to that. Winning the Community Shield and Super Cup wouldn't be detrimental as it's at the early stages of the season and it's not interfering with the busiest period of the season.

The Club World Cup is a different matter all together
1. the timing
2. the location
3. the fixture congestion later on
4. the lack of depth to compete in all competitions and compete with City for the main ones.

So don't take things out of context to suit your own agenda.

The bread and butter is the league and the Champions League, unless we can match City and the size and quality of their squad, challenging in all competitions is not possible for us. it's why Klopp rotated the fuck out of the side against Wolves in the FA Cup, and had we gone past Chelsea he would have continued to do so with that as well

Some of you are behaving as this shit is just being made up by the rest of us and like you're following the club for the first time. You know good and well what happens every December and January with fixtures and injuries, its something that Klopp has repeatedly talked about

Offline Smellytrabs

• Sme-llytrabs....what are they feeding you? It's not your fault! Has an anus that looks like a *
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
Until last weekend we hadn't won a trophy under Klopp. By Christmas we could have 4. I want them all. I want the team photos to look like the ones I had on my wall growing up in the 80's. Big fucking row of silverware in front of the players.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
There was a fella on the radio today, a Liverpool fan who sounded like he was in his 60's at least. He made a point about this competition I had never even considered.
He said he really wants us to win this because in 50 years from now, it could be a huge thing to win, giving the example of the Champions League/European Cup 50 years or so ago.
He said Madrid won that a lot in the 50's, but that most teams then weren't too bothered about it and were more concerned with winning the FA Cup. But now, its just said Madrid have won the European Cup 13 times, and no one remembers that 5 of them were when it wasn't considered the main prize.
Is that true ?

Madrid’s first 5 EC’s were basically against teams invited by La Equipe, at the behest of the Real Madrid president Bernabeu.

Most of the teams weren’t champions of their leagues, and there’s a lot of speculation it was all massaged towards Real winning.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Big fucking row of silverware in front of the players.

This please! Hoping we grab the lot.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Scottish-Don

• Maggie May, Kez, Kopbird, LFCMunkee and gerrardspetal in any order
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'Cause he's a dedicated follower of fashion
Someone posted this on Twitter, this gold badge will be on our new kit if we win the fifa club world cup. Looks good.

With all the patches we will earn next Season's kit will be like this

Follow me on Twitter - @achtung_davie

Offline Fairytale of 2005

• Legacy Fan
Win. All. The. Cups.

Offline Carra23

• Legacy Fan
May as well win them all.
Sent from my laptop using my fingers to type

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
Madrid’s first 5 EC’s were basically against teams invited by La Equipe, at the behest of the Real Madrid president Bernabeu.

Most of the teams weren’t champions of their leagues, and there’s a lot of speculation it was all massaged towards Real winning.

Yup very dodgy organsational things at the time..backhsnders..powerful men using clubs to enhance their club and estalishment status in undemocratic countires.....unlike now.

Offline Huytonian

• Kopite
Yup very dodgy organsational things at the time..backhsnders..powerful men using clubs to enhance their club and estalishment status in undemocratic countires.....unlike now.

Absolutely, proven to be very corrupt, those first five Real Madrid wins shouldn’t count.
We’re not English. We’re SCOUSE.

Offline RSoares21

• Kopite
  • ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
The main problem is obviously the club world cup. We will have games postponed and with the fa cup in january its even more congested. Hopefully we get better luck in the domestic cups this year where we get lower league teams instead of 2 prem clubs in the 1st to rounds we are in them. Like that we can rotate and stay in the competitions.

But defo, The sextuple is ON!!!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Offline Smellytrabs

• Sme-llytrabs....what are they feeding you? It's not your fault! Has an anus that looks like a *
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan

Yer dirty get.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
Absolutely, proven to be very corrupt, those first five Real Madrid wins shouldn’t count.

Bearing in mind Spain was under a right wing dictatorship ( until 74) and Di Steffino had signed ( or agreed to) for Barcelona...until made an offer he couldnt refuse by ' Madrid"

Offline FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan
to be honest I could live without these games but if we must..lets win 'em...think Paisley said he rehretted not taking the World Club Final more seriously .

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan

Yer dirty get.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-ZB4JvOkaDo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-ZB4JvOkaDo</a>
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline roots99

• Main Stander
Is that true ?

True enough. The FA didn't want English teams playing at all. The English champions (Chelsea I think) were made to swerve the 1st edition all together. That mentality seemed common in English football.

In Spain Barcelona had just come off a period of around 5 la liga titles in 10 years at the time the European Cup began. They'd also won a couple of Latin Cups - basically a mini European Cup for France, Spain, Italy and Portugal - just before. However, their best player, László "the man who built the Camp Nou" Kubala* got old around the time RM got hold of Di Stefano and bagged the first 5. 

It's always slightly annoyed me Liverpool have never officially been World Champions. It's something the club should be looking to correct this season.

*I believe his is the only statue outside the Nou Camp though they are currently making a Cruyff one.     
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in." - Bill Shankly

Offline roots99

• Main Stander
Bearing in mind Spain was under a right wing dictatorship ( until 74) and Di Steffino had signed ( or agreed to) for Barcelona...until made an offer he couldnt refuse by ' Madrid"

He signed for both. His parent club River Plate sold him to Barcelona and his 'loan' club Millonarios sold him to RM. Both River Plate and Millonarios believed they owned his registration. The Spanish FA's arbitration suggested Barcelona and RM share the player and Di Stefano swap teams every season. Barcelona rightly thought this was ridiculous and essentially walked away, sacking all the board members involved in the fiasco.

They might have fought harder if they knew how good he'd go on to be. 
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in." - Bill Shankly