Author Topic: Wolverhampton Wanderers  (Read 65439 times)

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Re: Wolverhampton Wanderers
« Reply #440 on: May 21, 2021, 02:26:25 pm »
Yeah I always found the Nuno hype a bit odd. Wolves play shit on a stick football. Can’t see how this is a great move for Spurs

yeah, doubt it’s even on the cards, it’d make no sense after what Levy said.

I quite like Nuno, seems a decent bloke, and should rightly be very popular amongst wolves fans for the work he did. But the football is awful, and maybe it is just a case of taking it as far as he can with his way of playing, and that is fair enough. 

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #441 on: May 21, 2021, 02:26:46 pm »
Or that. Although there’s a good squad at Wolves for Gerrard to play with and he’s probably done all he can at Rangers. Feels like as good an opportunity as he’ll get to join a decent, relatively stable PL side with a good squad (if he was to be offered).

No. He should stay at Rangers next year to retain the title and see if he can get them into the Champions League proper. Don't think he'd get much say in transfers at Wolves either, unless he wanted some specific Portuguese players!
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #442 on: May 21, 2021, 02:34:20 pm »
Maybe it's not a bad time for him to go but can't see them getting 7th again any time soon personally. May not have been pretty but results wise he smashed it for them.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #443 on: May 21, 2021, 02:49:05 pm »
I'd take Conor Coady back as cover for our CB's.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #444 on: May 21, 2021, 02:52:12 pm »
His stock fell a small bit this season but he seems a great guy so i hope he gets a PL side.

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #445 on: May 21, 2021, 03:40:31 pm »

He's really not that good and I've been been banging this drum for ages. He gets massively protected playing centrally in a back 3/5 for a defensive team. He wouldn't fair any better than Phillips playing in our system albeit better with the ball (but worse with his head).
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #446 on: May 21, 2021, 03:41:56 pm »
I think selling Jota and buying a kid who'd just learned to walk for the same money was an odd move *cough Jorge Mendes*
Combine that with Raul Jiminez's injury meant they were hobbled attack-wise. Adama Traore was a huge disappointment this season too.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #447 on: May 21, 2021, 03:51:52 pm »
Whenever I've seen him Coady has been poor in a back 4, and would be really exposed playing a high line. He's comfortable and plays well as essentially as a sweeper in a back 3/ back 5, but there's absolutely no reason for us to look to sign him.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #448 on: May 21, 2021, 03:54:10 pm »
Stevie to Wolves is doing the rounds. Would be a cracking move.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #449 on: May 21, 2021, 03:56:21 pm »

Is Steve Morgan still involved there in any way.

Could go either way Wolves. In theory they’re now established and could kick on but at the same time the Mendes link is dodgy and at some point you feel all his clients/a lot of the Portuguese players could want out and they’d be in a spot of bother.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #450 on: May 21, 2021, 03:58:25 pm »
No idea mate but I doubt it. They got new owners a while back.

Does Stevie speak Portuguese?

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #451 on: May 21, 2021, 04:00:06 pm »

He'd be little better than keeping Philips there, he's the same glaring issue which is a lack pace.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #452 on: May 21, 2021, 04:02:34 pm »
Is Boly decent? Not seen too much of him this season.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #453 on: May 21, 2021, 04:05:21 pm »
Wolves in talks with Bruno Lage as Nuno prepares to depart as manager - Guardian
Former Benfica manager Lage and Conceição are options

Nuno Espírito Santo will leave his role as Wolves head coach after Sunday’s season finale against Manchester United. The Midlands club are in talks with the former Benfica manager Bruno Lage over potentially taking over.

Lage, out of work since his Benfica contract was terminated last July, is the favourite but further discussions are planned and it is not certain he would qualify for a work permit under post-Brexit regulations. Over the past five years he has worked as an assistant at Sheffield Wednesday and Swansea and as head coach of Benfica B, before getting the senior Benfica job.

Two other Portuguese coaches are in the early running to succeed Nuno, whose departure was described by Wolves as by mutual consent. The Porto manager, Sérgio Conceição, has held talks but those stopped and the question is whether they are revived. Rui Faria, a former assistant to José Mourinho at various clubs before a spell as manager of Al-Duhail in Qatar, could be an option but again a work permit could be an issue.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #454 on: May 21, 2021, 04:40:33 pm »

Especially when he sells us Neto.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #455 on: May 21, 2021, 04:58:10 pm »
Wolves in talks with Bruno Lage as Nuno prepares to depart as manager - Guardian

Nuno Espírito Santo will leave his role as Wolves head coach after Sunday’s season finale against Manchester United. The Midlands club are in talks with the former Benfica manager Bruno Lage over potentially taking over.

Lage, out of work since his Benfica contract was terminated last July, is the favourite but further discussions are planned and it is not certain he would qualify for a work permit under post-Brexit regulations. Over the past five years he has worked as an assistant at Sheffield Wednesday and Swansea and as head coach of Benfica B, before getting the senior Benfica job.

Two other Portuguese coaches are in the early running to succeed Nuno, whose departure was described by Wolves as by mutual consent. The Porto manager, Sérgio Conceição, has held talks but those stopped and the question is whether they are revived. Rui Faria, a former assistant to José Mourinho at various clubs before a spell as manager of Al-Duhail in Qatar, could be an option but again a work permit could be an issue.

They're aiming rather low
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #456 on: May 21, 2021, 05:11:48 pm »
LOL, what did you expect?  Whoever manages Wolves has to contend with the fact that it's real reason for existing at the moment is to line Gestifute's (Mendes) pockets while staying in the PL.  Nuno deserves a lot of respect for dealing with this and still getting results on the field.  I think most other managers wouldn't and any links there for Stevie or Lampard are laughable because of that.

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #457 on: May 21, 2021, 05:16:18 pm »
Is Boly decent? Not seen too much of him this season.

Boly? Probably
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #458 on: May 21, 2021, 05:25:55 pm »
No chance Gerrard moves there.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #459 on: May 21, 2021, 05:27:28 pm »
No chance Gerrard moves there.

Yeah I don't see it. Wolves are hardly the sort of club you leave a successful Rangers for.

That's not to say that Gerrard wouldn't take up a job at a club like that but not yet.

Offline palimpsest

• Kopite
« Reply #460 on: May 21, 2021, 05:29:41 pm »
Would Stevie really leave Rangers after the season they've had to go to Wolves? I don't think he'll be going anywhere for a couple of years. He probably wants to see how far he can take Rangers in the CL.
We had dreams and songs to sing...

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #461 on: May 21, 2021, 06:17:19 pm »
No idea mate but I doubt it. They got new owners a while back.

Does Stevie speak Portuguese?

I reckon he treats the family to a Nando’s now and again so he’s mastered the basics.

Online Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #462 on: May 21, 2021, 06:22:10 pm »
Odds on favourite to be the new Spurs manager!  :wave
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #463 on: May 21, 2021, 06:42:11 pm »
Odds on favourite to be the new Spurs manager!  :wave

I think Nuno wants to go home to Portugal. Reports pointing out that he’s been away from his family all through the pandemic and has found the whole situation a struggle.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #464 on: May 21, 2021, 06:56:17 pm »
Nuno seems a great fella, wish him well. Can't see Stevie being interested if Wolves were, not sure how much say there is in transfers there and don't think he's the type to walk out on what he's building at Rangers, CL football potentially, more trophies etc and not for a mid table battle that's for sure.

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #465 on: May 21, 2021, 08:33:53 pm »
12th in the Premier, he's bought through some great players and made the team decent

Who do they think they are ?
A win for the Liverpool country

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #466 on: May 21, 2021, 08:52:12 pm »
12th in the Premier, he's bought through some great players and made the team decent

Who do they think they are ?

Maybe he's chosen to leave and they're not sacking him?

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #467 on: May 21, 2021, 08:54:40 pm »
Maybe he's chosen to leave and they're not sacking him?

Certainly hope so
A win for the Liverpool country

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #468 on: May 21, 2021, 08:54:59 pm »
Writing was on the wall last year when they sold Jota and replaced him with 2 teenagers who had played about 10 games between them. Their only ambition is to be a stepping stone club to the top 6.

Santo has done himself well over the last 4 years and I assume he'll get a top job back in Portugal at some point, maybe even the national team.

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #469 on: May 21, 2021, 08:57:38 pm »
The football they have played this season has been dreadful. 35 goals scored in 37 games, borefest of a team. Interesting to see what direction they go to next.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Online Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #470 on: May 21, 2021, 09:47:30 pm »
They are missing Jimenez,Jota and even Doherty's attacking output badly,Semedo hasn't been able to do anything in offence.

Neto is decent but doesn't score nearly enough,Silva came for big money but looks to be far from ready if ever and no one else has stepped up,Traore has regressed to his old non-productive self.

Granted they couldn't anticipate losing Jimenez,they need a reliable proven no 9 type and those aren't cheap,or get lucky with one of their young unproven punts they seem to do.

In hindsight Origi could have done well for them this season,their top scorer had 5 so not a high bar to beat.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 07:09:33 am by Tobelius »

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #471 on: May 22, 2021, 11:15:34 am »
Seems like he was living on borrowed time after getting beat by WBA.
A good coach limited by his squad. Jimenez’ injury was the big blow. They never replaced him, (or Jota tbf).
They seem to be more a vehicle for the agent. I think they might go down within a couple of seasons as Nuno had them punching above their weight.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #472 on: May 25, 2021, 03:00:03 pm »
Sounds like they're talking to Bruno Lage, the ex Benfica manager.

Another Jorge Mendes client of course.

Online Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #473 on: May 25, 2021, 03:03:45 pm »
Sounds like they're talking to Bruno Lage, the ex Benfica manager.

Another Jorge Mendes client of course.
Goes without saying! Would be an interesting appointment. One of the only Benfica managers in recent memory not to win the domestic title - second to Porto last season and third behind them and Sporting this.

Nuno is a top bloke - his stance over the Lee Mason nonsense early this year proved as much. Hopefully he gets a good move and continues to develop his reputation, as well as his admittedly dour style of play. Wolves could be in for a rocky period if the appetite to invest by Fosun is diminished - which it appears to be. Most of the major Chinese players who've dipped into the European Club Football market are doing hard withdrawals at present - the same is going on with Inter.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #474 on: May 25, 2021, 03:27:33 pm »
Nuno going, Neves allegedly available for £35m. Could see these struggling next season

Online amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #475 on: May 25, 2021, 03:45:48 pm »
Would I be right in saying Neves has stagnated a bit this season? £35m for him a year or two ago would have gathered a lot of top level interest, now I'm not so sure.

Online Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #476 on: May 25, 2021, 04:10:12 pm »
Would I be right in saying Neves has stagnated a bit this season? £35m for him a year or two ago would have gathered a lot of top level interest, now I'm not so sure.
You would - the argument could even be that he's regressed; he's done worse season on season for all of the key metrics you'd associate with a deep-lying playmaker. I think this is symptomatic of Wolves' general problems and the structure they've played in this season, it's limited the risks he can take and absolutely limited the targets his considerable range of passing has had available. The regression has been the whole team, he'll bounce back in a more suitable environment.

Jimenez was the key loss but they really, really didn't replace Jota and that's killed their penetration up front as well as their ability to hold the play up and bring runners into the mix.

£35m is a pretty good price for him considering he's 24, a full Portuguese international and you know he's capable in this league. He'd be an upgrade for 7 or 8 of the teams that finished above Wolves this season. The Athletic are stating that he's available for that fee to 'fund a rebuild.' I'm not sure what type of rebuild they think can be done in the Premier League for that amount of money. Really does feel like Fosun are starting to withdraw and it's not good news for Wolves.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline lfc_bhoy

• muppet
  • Legacy Fan
  • You is getting twatted, possibilities no-FS
« Reply #477 on: May 25, 2021, 04:25:15 pm »
You would - the argument could even be that he's regressed; he's done worse season on season for all of the key metrics you'd associate with a deep-lying playmaker. I think this is symptomatic of Wolves' general problems and the structure they've played in this season, it's limited the risks he can take and absolutely limited the targets his considerable range of passing has had available. The regression has been the whole team, he'll bounce back in a more suitable environment.

Jimenez was the key loss but they really, really didn't replace Jota and that's killed their penetration up front as well as their ability to hold the play up and bring runners into the mix.

£35m is a pretty good price for him considering he's 24, a full Portuguese international and you know he's capable in this league. He'd be an upgrade for 7 or 8 of the teams that finished above Wolves this season. The Athletic are stating that he's available for that fee to 'fund a rebuild.' I'm not sure what type of rebuild they think can be done in the Premier League for that amount of money. Really does feel like Fosun are starting to withdraw and it's not good news for Wolves.

His passing is really top notch, but his general game isn't as well rounded it turns out. Not a very prolific presser, positionally can get caught out, pace is rather poor really. Reminds me of Can a bit, talented no doubt in very specific areas but not a great system fit in many modern setups. Jimenez being out and unable to make the solid outlet runs in behind and into channels has removed the major benefit of Neves in the system. Could see him doing a job at a Leicester or even an Arsenal in the end, especially with a Partey to do some dirty work for him. Getting a more well rounded player in and Moutinho's wages off the books after the next season as well and they'll be in a good spot for a midfield rebuild.
"Because like Bill Shankly, on more days and nights than those expert pundits ever care to recall, he made the people happy."

"There was no other color in the middle of the field except the red of Liverpool"

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #478 on: May 25, 2021, 04:25:55 pm »
£35m is a pretty good price for him considering he's 24, a full Portuguese international and you know he's capable in this league. He'd be an upgrade for 7 or 8 of the teams that finished above Wolves this season.

Unless £35m is the floor price for a bidding war, he'll be gone quickly at that price. Most will take into account Wolves' other issues this season (unable to replace Jota; Jimenez being injured)

The Athletic are stating that he's available for that fee to 'fund a rebuild.' I'm not sure what type of rebuild they think can be done in the Premier League for that amount of money. Really does feel like Fosun are starting to withdraw and it's not good news for Wolves.

Wolves reportedly paid £35m last summer for Silva. They'll need a wiser transfer strategy

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #479 on: June 9, 2021, 12:24:05 pm »

LOL, what did you expect?  Whoever manages Wolves has to contend with the fact that it's real reason for existing at the moment is to line Gestifute's (Mendes) pockets while staying in the PL.  Nuno deserves a lot of respect for dealing with this and still getting results on the field.  I think most other managers wouldn't and any links there for Stevie or Lampard are laughable because of that.

So, the appointment of Bruno Lage has been confirmed today:

https://twitter.com/Wolves/status/1402551039337902080

Wolves @Wolves

Introducing our new head coach. #WelcomeBruno

10:00 AM · Jun 9, 2021

I must admit, I know absolutely nothing about Lage but for the couple of minutes I've just spent on his Wikipedia page.  Looks like he's spent a long time cutting his teeth in youth/backroom roles, before winning the title (impressively) as caretaker in 2018-19 but bombing in 2019-20 and getting sacked.  Nothing against the bloke, but it stinks of nepotism and I'd be a bit concerned if I were a Wolves supporter...

Under Espirito Sancho they looked like they had a fair chance at establishing themselves as an upper/stable mid-table Premier League side, with barely any concerns about needing to look over their shoulder (some relief for the supporters, who've probably been through it a bit in the last 20 years!).  Feels a bit like their bubble could be about to burst.
« Last Edit: June 9, 2021, 12:26:30 pm by jackh »