539 (72.8%)
Don't Know
10 (1.4%)
Don't Care
15 (2%)
I don't live in the UK
97 (13.1%)

Total Members Voted: 740

Author Topic: Brexit: "Vultus inanis est et mori in fossa ego sum!"  (Read 1469581 times)

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Cummings has some cheek. Bit of fame off the back of Cumberbatch and now he and the world think he is Alan Turing.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Cummings has some cheek. Bit of fame off the back of Cumberbatch and now he and the world think he is Alan Turing.
If you read a couple of his blogs, he always saw himself as some sort of modern scientific Thatcherite visionary/revolutionary. He'd already established a superior persona working for Gove in Education, which he used in the Vote Leave campaign (as portrayed by Cumberbatch) and he's certainly now using that portrayal to cow more opponents. I'm not sure whether he's the evil genius or pseudo-intellectual he's alternately painted as, but he's certainly capable of dominating and directing most politicians.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
No end to the incompetence. And all the while J
Boris is trying to go Full Cromwell.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
This is what I think will happen:

Johnson/Cummings want Parliament to block a 31/10 No-Deal Brexit, and Parliament will oblige (because they will feel they have no choice)

The UK will request a further extension from the EU (which they'll agree), with Boorish laying it on thick that it is Parliament and anti-Brexit MP's who have blocked the UK from leaving by 31st Oct (thus denying 'the will of the people' [vomit])

He'll then engineer a VONC to trigger an election, which he'll fight on a 'the people versus Parliament' ticket to whip-up all the Brexit bozos.

Given the leadership of the Opposition, he will very likely get the Parliamentary majority he wants.

He'll then cut-adrift the Bowler-Hatted Bigots and agree with the EU a CU for NI, with the hard border being down the Irish Sea.

That will allow him to implement a 'Canada-style' hard Brexit.

He'll declare this a massive victory.

The flag-waving cretins will swallow it all hook, line and sinker

« Last Edit: August 7, 2019, 02:48:22 pm by Nobby Reserve »
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Online Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
There are only two possible ways to thwart this:

1) Johnson and the Tories are defeated in a GE. With Corbyn still Labour leader, this is doubtful. It would need Remain supporting voters to vote tactically across the country - and to put their faith in Labour where they are the closest challengers to to the Tories.

2) Anti-Brexit MP's to coalesce around a common alternative 'soft' Brexit and 2nd Reg to ratify or reject, then 'take control' of Parliament before 31st Oct to vote for this - with the proviso of a 2nd Ref. Boorish could still ignore, especially if he goes for a GE

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
This is what I think will happen:

Johnson/Cummings want Parliament to block a 31/10 No-Deal Brexit, and Parliament will oblige (because they will feel they have no choice)

The UK will request a further extension from the EU (which they'll agree), with Boorish laying it on thick that it is Parliament and anti-Brexit MP's who have blocked the UK from leaving by 31st Oct

He'll then engineer a VONC to trigger an election, which he'll fight on a 'the people versus Parliament' ticket to whip-up all the Brexit bozos.

Given the leadership of the Opposition, he will very likely get the Parliamentary majority he wants.

He'll then cut-adrift the Bowler-Hatted Bigots and agree with the EU a CU for NI, with the hard border being down the Irish Sea.

That will allow him to implement a 'Canada-style' hard Brexit.

He'll declare this a massive victory.

The flag-waving cretins will swallow it all hook, line and sinker

With the idea of a Government of National Unity seemingly dead in the water, the odds of exiting without a deal going on 31st October must be very significant.

Can Parliament force Johnson to ask for an extention? I haven't seen anything to indicate it can

Will Parliament force him to hold an election so that a new government can be in place before 31st October? Also seems dubious given Labour don't appear motivated to push for an election pre-Brexit.

I think if the current government isn't worried about pushing the "constitution" to the limit, the government of national unity option is the only one likely to stop our headlung rush towards the cliff.

My bet now is we will leave with No Deal on 31st October because that is what the leadership of both major parties wants to happen.
« Last Edit: August 7, 2019, 03:02:02 pm by filopastry »

Online Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
With the idea of a Government of National Unity seemingly dead in the water, the odds of exiting without a deal going on 31st October must be very significant.

Can Parliament force Johnson to ask for an extention? I haven't seen anything to indicate it can

Will Parliament force him to hold an election so that a new government can be in place before 31st October? Also seems dubious given Labour don't appear motivated to push for an election pre-Brexit.

I think if the current government isn't worried about pushing the "constitution" to the limit, the government of national unity option is the only one likely to stop our headlung rush towards the cliff.

Johnson really doesn't want a No Deal Brexit. He and his people know it would be a shitstorm, potentially catastrophic, and would destroy the Tory Party for a generation - and likely Brexit with it (as we'd quickly rejoin the EU). Much as he's an egomaniac, he doesn't want that as the epitaph to his political career.

His talk of No Deal is partly to give it one improbable throw of the dice with the EU to get an improved WA; but mostly to help set his credentials as a no-nonsense, union jack-waving, Brexiteer patriot to get the Brexiteer vote in the GE that he desires. His bluster will be augmented by a propaganda campaign by the right-wing, anti-EU media (the Torygraph is already in full flow; the Daily Heil has always been, the Express will ramp it; and Murdoch's rags will delightedly join in) to portray the GE as a high-noon battle between the democratic will of the British people, against the pro-EU establishment and their gravy train politicians.

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Johnson really doesn't want a No Deal Brexit. He and his people know it would be a shitstorm, potentially catastrophic, and would destroy the Tory Party for a generation - and likely Brexit with it (as we'd quickly rejoin the EU). Much as he's an egomaniac, he doesn't want that as the epitaph to his political career.

His talk of No Deal is partly to give it one improbable throw of the dice with the EU to get an improved WA; but mostly to help set his credentials as a no-nonsense, union jack-waving, Brexiteer patriot to get the Brexiteer vote in the GE that he desires. His bluster will be augmented by a propaganda campaign by the right-wing, anti-EU media (the Torygraph is already in full flow; the Daily Heil has always been, the Express will ramp it; and Murdoch's rags will delightedly join in) to portray the GE as a high-noon battle between the democratic will of the British people, against the pro-EU establishment and their gravy train politicians.

Johnson thinks he can consolidate the Brexit vote behind the Tories and wipe out the Brexit party if he delivers a No Deal Brexit, a lot of Tories stared into the electoral abyss at the european elections and that became the driving focus for a lot of them.

The Hard Brexiteers aren't a majority of the British population, but equally there have to be a fair number of people outside that group who just aren't going to vote for a Corbyn led Labour party.

I don't think delivering Brexit without a deal is necessarily considered electoral suicide (sadly)

He has pretty much talked himself into the No Deal corner now (whether he wants to do that or not) unless Parliament stops him from carrying through on that pledge, and I am not optimistic on that front
« Last Edit: August 7, 2019, 03:22:46 pm by filopastry »

Online Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
but equally there have to be a fair number of people outside that group who just aren't going to vote for a Corbyn led Labour party.

Would you vote for a Corbyn-led Labour Party if it meant blocking Brexit?

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Labour wouldn't block brexit. They don't appear to be opposed to leaving the EU. If a vote for them meant that, I suspect more people would be announcing that interest in polls.

They've said a vote for Labour would mean attempts to block no-deal brexit, and then potentially campaigning to leave the EU Labour-style in a future referendum

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

A Corbyn-led Labour party isn't going to block Brexit, at best it is going to get a softer form of Brexit (although not a soft Brexit by any means)

Equally if we leave on 31st October, its hard to see what the LibDems can offer to meaningfully differentiate themselves on Brexit, its not as if they can realistically campaign on rejoining the EU straightaway. That would be a massive negotiation process ending in a worse deal than we have now, that is unlikely to enthuse as many people as Revocation of Article 50 or a second referendum did.

Online Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
A Corbyn-led Labour party isn't going to block Brexit, at best it is going to get a softer form of Brexit (although not a soft Brexit by any means)

That's not what key figures like McDonnell and the 'big unions' have said, and it's not what the vast majority of the PLP believe, and the majority (78%?) of the membership want.

The Corbyn position has progressed to the point now of the official line is a 2nd Ref.

I still struggle with the concept of voting for a Corbyn-led Labour Party at the present time (although I agreed with almost all of the 2017 manifesto and voted Labour then for the first time in over 2 decades). But if I was in a potential swing seat between Labour and the Tories I'd vote Labour without hesitation.

Similarly, if I were in a Tory-Lib Dem marginal, I'd have no hesitation in holding my nose and voting Lib Dem.

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
That's not what key figures like McDonnell and the 'big unions' have said, and it's not what the vast majority of the PLP believe, and the majority (78%?) of the membership want.

The Corbyn position has progressed to the point now of the official line is a 2nd Ref.

I still struggle with the concept of voting for a Corbyn-led Labour Party at the present time (although I agreed with almost all of the 2017 manifesto and voted Labour then for the first time in over 2 decades). But if I was in a potential swing seat between Labour and the Tories I'd vote Labour without hesitation.

Similarly, if I were in a Tory-Lib Dem marginal, I'd have no hesitation in holding my nose and voting Lib Dem.

Even when the insanity of the Labour position was pointed out for everyone to see in the European elections, the best that could be dragged out of Corbyn was an oppositon to that good old "damaging Tory Brexit", but if Labour win an election they want to go off and renegotiate Brexit themselves.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Well the majority of members wanted Labour to oppose brexit in the past two years, so that doesn't always feature in the planning of the leaders office. Labour have been very clear that they would try to negotiate a better deal, and then if there's a referendum with Labour-deal versus remaining they might campaign to leave.

I don't think we know what the majority of the PLP believe. I'd like to hope that if things continue down this path we'll find out, and hopefully the majority are more interested in staying in the EU than Corbyn et al

Online Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
Well the majority of members wanted Labour to oppose brexit in the past two years, so that doesn't always feature in the planning of the leaders office. Labour have been very clear that they would try to negotiate a better deal, and then if there's a referendum with Labour-deal versus remaining they might campaign to leave.

I don't think we know what the majority of the PLP believe. I'd like to hope that if things continue down this path we'll find out, and hopefully the majority are more interested in staying in the EU than Corbyn et al

I think there are some EU rules that would thwart some key Labour policies (eg, of state-ownership and assistance to certain industries) and Corbyn wants a go to negotiate exemptions.

Personally, I don't think that's possible (and don't really agree with 'cakist' picking & choosing, but then I want us to remain as full members full stop) but I can appreciate his intentions.

And given the votes against Corbyn in the recent past, I doubt there are that many pro-Corbyn Labour MP's.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan

In 'any/all circumstances', or is it still caveated with 'a no deal/Tory Brexit'?

I'm in a Labour/Lib Dem marginal where the Labour incumbent is a steadfast remainer and resigned a minor shadow ministerial role to be able to vote 'remain' at all opportunities. Doesn't matter who I vote for, or which of them is elected.

Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Online Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
In 'any/all circumstances', or is it still caveated with 'a no deal/Tory Brexit'?

I'm in a Labour/Lib Dem marginal where the Labour incumbent is a steadfast remainer and resigned a minor shadow ministerial role to be able to vote 'remain' at all opportunities. Doesn't matter who I vote for, or which of them is elected.

I'm a safe Labour seat, so have got used to voting for who I want without any care that anything but a Labour MP will be elected. I'll be voting Green next time (unless Corbyn has been toppled, and someone takes over who is unequivocally pro-Remain but embraces that same left-ish manifesto  8))

Edit - int first past the post a pile of shit?

« Last Edit: August 7, 2019, 04:40:35 pm by Nobby Reserve »

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I'm a safe Labour seat, so have got used to voting for who I want without any care that anything but a Labour MP will be elected. I'll be voting Green next time (unless Corbyn has been toppled, and someone takes over who is unequivocally pro-Remain but embraces that same left-ish manifesto  8))

Edit - int first past the post a pile of shit?

Yep FPTP is fucking horrible.

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
No-deal Brexit: 'Big unanswered questions' for UK music

No-deal Brexit on 31 October could make life "very difficult" for the UK music industry says the BPI.

The organisation, which represents UK record companies - including Warner, Sony and Universal - believes copyright laws might be "thrown in the air."

They say "chaos" could ensue for British artists touring in Europe too.

"Planning for a whole range of possibilities which we are not sure will ever materialise is extremely difficult," says the BPI's Ian Moss.

At the most basic level, Brexit raises concerns about the ability of musicians to tour overseas. And unless you're The Rolling Stones or Beyonce, touring teams don't come much bigger or work more often than orchestras.

Classical musicians agree no-deal could mean uncertainty over work permits, delays at European borders and complications with moving instruments across the continent.

"The nice and simple crossing at Calais, with 100 musicians and no obstacles," could instantly become a thing of the past by Halloween, says Mark Pemberton, director of the Association of British Orchestras.

"We've got orchestras that are going on tour in November who do not know what the work permit restrictions and extra costs are going to be in, say, France or Germany. In terms of their preparation, there are some very big unanswered questions."

Even if work permits are granted, he believes European concert halls may look elsewhere as "there's only so much they're prepared to spend on booking an orchestra".

"If we become more expensive [extra costs-wise] than a German or Italian orchestra then guess what? We're going to lose the work."

"The saving grace for us, ironically," he laughs sardonically, "is the is the weak pound, because we're all now cheaper! [performance fee-wise]"

Another obstacle touring musicians could face is having to pay for a permit, known as a carnet, for every instrument they take into Europe - to prove they are not trading them internationally.

Tales of musicians bringing back broken strings from the US and Japan, to satisfy officials they had not sold any of their equipment abroad, are already part of touring folklore.

Moss suggests carnets could also prompt bands to ship their merchandise, which is often made in Asia, directly to Europe to collect en route, rather than paying to bring it over the border.

Believe it or not, some instruments taken into Europe by British musicians contain small amounts of "endangered species" like ivory and rosewood.

After Brexit these would need declaring, but the ABO claim they've been told key ports, including Dover, Calais and Holyhead, are not set up to inspect the necessary paperwork, meaning further delays or re-routed trips.

Pemberton thinks even if orchestras plan their diaries carefully, they could still end up scrapping whole days of work.

"Let's say you're a busy orchestra," he ponders, "with a concert in London on the Sunday, booked into a recording studio to do a film score on Monday and then you're off to Paris to perform. The recording session is now gone because you need Monday to guarantee you're going to be in Paris."

He suggests an "emergency fund" should be set up by the government during this "make or break" time.

"We're flagging up all the problems that they need to start thinking about. We're prepared to break even but if we lose money going on tours then that's not viable."

The BPI is petitioning the government "to ensure people can work and freely move abroad in the EEA (European Economic Area) area without visas for 90 days within any 180 day period, so they can tour and work abroad".

While they deal in people - aka recording artists - the BPI also deal in goods and services. Moss notes most of the physical products made for the UK music industry - CDs, vinyl, cassettes, etc - are manufactured within the EEA and that the plummeting pound had already pushed up costs by a "significant amount".

The Intellectual Property Office - the government body responsible for intellectual property rights - last year published guidance on copyright in no-deal situation.

A spokeswoman says UK copyright laws do not depend on membership of the EU.

However, Moss maintains copyright is a "central issue" and has been a real "concern" for BPI members in discussions with officials.

Before he became Prime Minister, Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson voiced his disapproval of the new EU copyright law, which made services like YouTube liable if users uploaded copyrighted material without permission. In a tweet, Johnson called the law "terrible for the internet" and said copyright was an area where the UK could "take back control".

His stance understandably gave the music industry cause for concern.

"We would not want to see anything that creates uncertainty and the government should not take this opportunity to start throwing copyright law up in the air and reconstructing it," says Moss.

"Our real concern, though, is through trade deals - particularly with the US. There's the potential for importing very unhelpful copyright legislation which they have in the US, where we don't get broadcast public performance rights [royalties for songs played on radio and TV]".

"So it's important to keep copyright stable whatever other chaos is going around."

No-deal Brexit is a very British concern, but it could pose problems for foreign musicians working in the UK, too.

Creative Scotland believes "working internationally" and attracting the best talent to Scotland is key to the development of homegrown talent "and the ability of artists to exchange ideas".

They do, however, note the UK's Creative Sector Tax Reliefs will not be affected by Brexit.

Last year musician and Womad festival co-founder Peter Gabriel criticised the UK government's approach to handling visas after a string of international acts were forced to pull out of the festival.

"It is alarming that our UK festival would now have real problems bringing artists into this country," he told The Guardian, claiming many "no longer want to come to the UK because of the difficulty, cost and delays with visas, along with the new fear that they will not be welcomed".

One year on, festival director Chris Smith tells the BBC there is "no indication of what will happen in a no-deal fantasy land".

"From an artist perspective, we will be back in a situation where EU-based artists simply won't want to commit to travelling to the UK.

"In the current climate who can blame them?"

Music industry representatives have been attending briefings with the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.

A DCMS spokesperson said: "Preparations for leaving the EU, under all circumstances, are now the priority of all government departments.

"We recognise the importance of mobility and the temporary movement of goods for major events, tours and productions, and we continue to engage closely with the music industry to ensure impacts are understood and plans in place for when we leave the EU."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-49239002

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan

REVEALED: ‘Anti-elite’ Dominic Cummings lives in Ł1.6 MILLION Islington townhouse

Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson’s ‘anti-elite’ chief of staff Dominic Cummings lives in a luxurious Ł1.6 million townhouse in the heart of Islington – and his wife’s family owns a castle.

Cummings, who ran the official Vote Leave campaign, regularly rants about taking on a rich and powerful “Establishment” on his blog.

But the Red Roar can reveal that he lives in a Ł1.6 million townhouse in leafy Islington, a short walk from the posh restaurants and cocktail bars of Upper Street. Shortly after moving in 2013, Cummings got an extension designed by high-end architects Hamish & Lyons that features a “tapestry room”, along with a “formal living room” and reading room.

Cummings is no stranger to grand designs: he is married to Mary Wakefield, deputy editor of The Spectator and daughter of Sir Edward Humphry Tyrrel Wakefield, a baronet who owns Chillingham Castle in Northumberland.

Sir Humphrey’s staff write that he has “two sons and a daughter who are frequent visitors, along with their many friends”, while EU documents show that the castle grounds are home to a herd of CAP-funded cattle.

https://www.theredroar.com/2019/08/revealed-anti-elite-dominic-cummings-lives-in-1-6-million-islington-townhouse/

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Brexit voters are like a brainwashed cult.

You ask them about why they voted Brexit - what are the advantages and they come back with the same old lines (Pretty much word for word) and then don't defend / clarify

* I am older than you and have I have more experience
* I understand things better than Remainers do
* Remainers are traitors
* Remainers are negative
* Remainers don't believe in the UK
* We need to take back control
* I am patriotic and believe in the UK

And a new one on me that has just started appearing 'Project Fear 666' (Which I assume is trying to label Remain voters as devil worshippers or something?!?!)

Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Ł350m a week for the NHS has now become Ł800m a year

Utterly pathetic
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
UK economy shrinks for the first time since 2012

The UK economy contracted 0.2% between April and June, its worst performance since 2012, the Office for National Statistics said.

The surprise contraction came after a boost to economic growth in the first three months of the year because of Brexit stockpiling.

Rob Kent-Smith, head of GDP at the ONS, said manufacturing output fell and the construction sector weakened.

The pound slipped after the data was released, raising fears of a recession.

A recession occurs when the economy contracts in two consecutive quarters.

Economists had not been forecasting a contraction in the economy in the second quarter, but had expected it to stagnate, with the consensus forecast for 0% growth.

The economy had shown 0.5% growth in the first quarter after manufacturers' stockpiling ahead of Brexit helped to boost output, when the manufacturing sector recorded its biggest quarter rise since the 1980s was recorded.

The ONS said GDP had been "particularly volatile" so far this year because of the changes to activity sparked by the original Brexit date of 31 March.

The statistics body said its latest figures showed that those increased stockpiles had been partly run down in the second quarter and that a number of car manufacturers had brought forward their annual shutdowns to April as part of contingency planning, which also hit growth.

Mr Kent-Smith said: "Manufacturing output fell back after a strong start to the year, with production brought forward ahead of the UK's original departure date from the EU."

He added that "the often-dominant service sector delivered virtually no growth at all".

Analysis
By Faisal Islam
Economics editor
The economy has contracted over a quarter for the first time since 2012, raising the risk that the UK might be in a technical recession.

The numbers do contain some distortions that flattered growth in the first quarter, and have depressed it in the second, including stockpiling for a no deal Brexit.

They also contain the post no deal shutdowns of car factories around the first Brexit deadline in March.

But there are some real and enduring weaknesses in this number too, some of which is down to poor levels of investment, and some down to poor global growth.

This figure though is set to be the worst in the G7. The UK should avoid a recession if expectations of growth in this quarter are fulfilled, but that is not guaranteed. It is not the welcoming present that a new chancellor and PM would have wanted.

The data comes at a time when there are signs other economies are slowing. For instance, data on Friday showed that French industrial output also fell more than expected in June.

Chancellor Sajid Javid said: "This is a challenging period across the global economy, with growth slowing in many countries.

"But the fundamentals of the British economy are strong - wages are growing, employment is at a record high and we're forecast to grow faster than Germany, Italy and Japan this year."

But John McDonnell, the shadow chancellor, said the "dismal economic figures are a direct result of Tory incompetence".

"The Tories' Brexit bungling, including Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson now taking us towards no-deal, is breaking the economy."

The employers' body, the CBI, said the contraction was "concerning".

Alpesh Paleja, CBI lead economist, said: "Growth has been pushed down by an unwind of stockpiling and car manufacturers shifting their seasonal shutdowns.

"Nonetheless, it's clear from our business surveys that underlying momentum remains lukewarm, choked by a combination of slower global growth and Brexit uncertainty.

"As a result, business sentiment is dire."

The Federation of Small Businesses - which is calling for an emergency Budget - said that if the Treasury delays action until after 31 October, the date for Brexit, its efforts are likely to prove too little, too late.

"Time is of the essence. Unless the chancellor steps in imminently with radical action, we could be heading for a chaotic autumn - and a very long winter," said the FSB's policy and advocacy chairman, Martin McTague.

Chris Williamson, chief business economist at IHS Markit, said the data showed "an economy in decline and skirting with recession as headwinds from slower global growth are exacerbated by a Brexit-related paralysis".

Geoffrey Yu of UBS Wealth Management said that while the global picture was "becoming more gloomy", anyone looking for positive signs for the economy could look to "robust private consumption, reflecting a healthy labour market".

Household spending rose 0.5% on the quarter. Samuel Tombs, chief UK economist at Pantheon Macroeconomics, agreed that household spending was still growing at a "robust rate" said it was not time to panic.

He said the stockpiling was dragging on the economy, which was "sluggish and had not stalled".

The pound - which has been at two-year lows on Brexit uncertainty - fell 0.2% against the dollar to $1.2106.

The currency also falls if there are expectations that interest rates will be cut. Mr Tombs said the market now sees a 70% chance of an interest rate cut in January, when Mark Carney is due to leave as the Bank of England's governor.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49290926

Offline vblfc

• "Verily, behold! Liverpool Football Club!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic
At end 2015 Ł was 1.43 Vs €. I see today its at 1.07 and continues to drop towards par I guess.  I’m no accountant, and I know many factors impact exchange rate, but surely there is a clue somewhere in this 30% drop.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Brexit Magic Flying Rainbow coloured Unicorn jolly tip-top-ho! Gosh! Thread.
« Reply #23945 on: August 10, 2019, 12:01:35 pm »
At end 2015 Ł was 1.43 Vs €. I see today its at 1.07 and continues to drop towards par I guess.  I’m no accountant, and I know many factors impact exchange rate, but surely there is a clue somewhere in this 30% drop.
”the pound was overvalued” - Nigel Frottage

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
Re: Brexit Magic Flying Rainbow coloured Unicorn jolly tip-top-ho! Gosh! Thread.
« Reply #23946 on: August 10, 2019, 12:45:39 pm »
 From a professor of public law, Mark Elliott, some legal analysis of the options ahead in Parliament to prevent 'no deal'.

https://publiclawforeveryone.com/2019/08/08/can-parliament-prevent-a-no-deal-brexit/

The upshot is that a vote of no confidence could well end up triggering a general election that takes place after 31 October, meaning that a vote of no confidence on its own provides no guarantee against a no-deal Brexit.

We have seen so far that by passing a motion of no confidence in the Government, Parliament may — subject, of course, to political considerations — be able to prevent a no-deal Brexit by producing a change of Government, either directly or following an early general election. The other main option open to Parliament is enacting legislation. As noted above, the political difficulties that would be involved in legislating in the face of Government opposition should not be underestimated, albeit that the Cooper-Letwin Bill shows that it can be done.

What, then, would work? There are only really three possibilities. First, Parliament could legislate to revoke Article 50. Of course, politically many MPs would balk at such a prospect, but such legislation would be the best means by which Parliament could absolutely guarantee against a no-deal Brexit. Such legislation could be rendered politically less unpalatable from a Leave perspective by, for instance, recording within the preamble an intention that the legislation is intended to be a precursor to a confirmatory referendum. (I recognise that the CJEU’s Wightman judgment requires revocation to be unconditional, but it not clear to me that an aspirational statement regarding a possible future referendum in the preamble to a statute would breach that requirement of unconditionality.) Legislation along these lines, if enacted, would provide a cast-iron guarantee against a no-deal Brexit because it would, presumably, impose an unqualified and immediate duty upon the Prime Minister to revoke the UK’s notification under Article 50.

Second, Parliament could legislate along the lines of the Cooper-Letwin Bill by requiring the Prime Minister to seek an extension of the Article 50 period. However, this would not provide any guarantees, since it would be for the European Council to decide whether to accede to such a request. Legislation that went no further than requiring the Government to seek an extension would thus reduce the likelihood of, but would not rule out, a no-deal Brexit. That leads on to a third possibility: namely, a hybrid of the first two. Such legislation might require, in the first instance, the Prime Minister to seek an extension. However, it might go on to provide that if no extension had been granted by a given date (e.g. 30 October), the Prime Minister would be legally obliged immediately to revoke the UK’s notification under Article 50. This sort of approach, with extension as the preferred option and revocation as a last-resort failsafe, would presumably be politically less unpalatable to some MPs than legislation that required revocation without more. 
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 12:49:31 pm by Zeb »
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #23947 on: August 10, 2019, 01:57:40 pm »
The Times saying that Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson is devising a bailout fund for businesses in the event of a no-deal Brexit

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23948 on: August 10, 2019, 02:00:35 pm »
The Times saying that Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson is devising a bailout fund for businesses in the event of a no-deal Brexit
Public funding of businesses.... urrrgh

In a scheme that had ‘no downsides’
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23949 on: August 10, 2019, 02:05:55 pm »
I wonder how many MPs are regretting not supporting Labour's opposition motion from a couple of months ago. It was defeated 298-309.

Keir Starmer (Holborn and St Pancras) (Lab)

I beg to move,

(1) That, on Tuesday 25 June—

(a) Standing Order No. 14(1) (which provides that government business shall have precedence at every sitting save as provided in that order) shall not apply;

(b) precedence shall be given to a motion relating to the Business of the House in connection with matters relating to the United Kingdom’s withdrawal from the European Union;

(c) if more than one motion relating to the Business of the House is tabled, the Speaker shall decide which motion shall have precedence;

(d) the Speaker shall interrupt proceedings on any business having precedence before the Business of the House motion at 1.00 pm and call a Member to move that motion;

(e) debate on that motion may continue until 2.00 pm at which time the Speaker shall put the questions necessary to dispose of proceedings on that motion including the questions on amendments selected by the Speaker which may then be moved;

(f) any proceedings interrupted or superseded by this order may be resumed or (as the case may be) entered upon and proceeded with after the moment of interruption.

I move the motion in the names of the Leader of the Opposition and of the leaders of the SNP, the Liberal Democrats, Plaid Cymru and the Greens, and I am thankful for the support of the right hon. Member for West Dorset (Sir Oliver Letwin).

This is a genuinely cross-party motion—so much so that for a short while at least it appeared even to have the support of one of the Conservative leadership candidates, the Secretary of State for International Development, but I assume that after a phone call from his Chief Whip he thought better of it.

The motion makes a simple proposition: that, on 25 June, Parliament and not the Executive will have control of the business of the House. That would ensure an opportunity for the House to bring forward a further business motion to set out, at that later date, a schedule for the stages of a parliamentary Bill relating to our departure from the EU.

http://bit.ly/2RcX82Y (links to Hansard)

https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commons/2019-06-12/division/932D265A-A4BD-457C-AE3A-DD37C6A903C6/LeavingTheEUBusinessOfTheHouse?outputType=Party

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23950 on: August 10, 2019, 02:06:55 pm »

Yeah that'll be paid for by us too.

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23951 on: August 10, 2019, 02:07:44 pm »

If that doesn't say working class rebellion against the establishment, I don't know what does. #standup4shareholders

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23952 on: August 10, 2019, 02:29:09 pm »
the party of fiscal responsibility right there

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23953 on: August 10, 2019, 03:02:56 pm »
Brexit: Email slip-up reveals no-deal fishing patrol 'uncertainty'

There is "a lot of uncertainty" about the UK's capacity to patrol fishing waters after a no-deal Brexit, a government memo mistakenly emailed to the BBC has revealed.

The memo, from the Department for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, says there are just 12 ships "to monitor a space three times the size of the surface area of the UK".

Meanwhile Fuckwitted Pob lookalike Michael Gove has said there will be a government support fund to help British businesses in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

The UK is due to leave the EU on 31 October. A "divorce" deal - which sets out how the UK leaves - has not been agreed and Prime Minister Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson has pledged to leave whether one is reached or not.

In the event of leaving without a deal, the UK would become an independent coastal state and leave the Common Fisheries Policy, which states the EU's shared rules about how much fish countries can catch and where.

But ministers said they are confident security will be enforced after Brexit.

Defra's internal email mentioned a number of media stories, including one being worked on by a freelance journalist for the Independent.

According to the memo, the story planned to look at the preparation being made to deter EU fishermen from UK waters in the case of a no-deal Brexit, and also whether the UK will enforce the exclusion of foreign vessels.

The note reads: "While our public position on this wider issue is already clear and widely communicated, in that post-Brexit we will be an independent coastal state with control of our waters, both policy and MoD have indicated we are not on an overly strong footing to get ahead of the potential claims that could arise from this story.

"At this stage, there is a lot of uncertainty about the sufficiency of enforcement in a no-deal because we have 12 vessels that need to monitor a space three times the size of the surface area of the UK."

Admiral Lord West, a Labour peer and former First Sea Lord, said the email appeared to show the UK has "insufficient assets to patrol and look after our exclusive economic zone for fisheries, and also our territorial seas".

"This will be thrown into stark relief if we should cease to have an agreement with the EU on fisheries."

He added: "This is something a number of us have been saying for some time now, but it has always been denied by Defra and the government."

However, Barrie Deas, the CEO of the National Federation of Fisherman's Organisations (NFFO), said any EU vessel would be "foolish" to fish in UK waters - even without a deal in place.

He told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "Under international law, the UK would automatically become an independent coastal state with the rights and responsibilities of that status and there is an obligation under the UN Law of the Sea for countries that share stocks to co-operate.

"So I think there will be a fisheries agreement post-Brexit between the UK and the EU, but on a different basis from the Common Fisheries Policy."

A government spokesperson confirmed an internal email concerned with the "veracity and details of media enquiries" had been "inadvertently sent outside of Defra".

They said: "Britain is leaving the EU on 31 October with or without a deal.

"We are confident that we will have the ships and the expertise we need to properly enforce security in UK waters."

Mr Gove, the cabinet minister in charge of preparations for a possible no-deal Brexit, spoke openly for the first time about a government support fund for British businesses during a visit to Northern Ireland on Friday.

The support package, known as Operation Kingfisher, will help companies deal with any "bumps in the road" that might occur as a result of a no-deal Brexit.

BBC political correspondent Jessica Parker said the plans predate Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson's premiership but few details have so far been revealed - including how much money will be made available and where the cash would come from.

According to the Times, the government has compiled a list of companies it believes could be most exposed financially if the UK leaves the EU without a deal and may need of help. It is said to include a number of firms in the construction and manufacturing sectors.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49302778

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23954 on: August 10, 2019, 05:26:17 pm »
Fuckwitted Pob lookalike Michael Gove suggested closing British banks the day after Brexit to prevent financial chaos

Government minister Fuckwitted Pob lookalike Michael Gove reportedly considered declaring a bank holiday on November 1, the day after the United Kingdom is due to leave the European Union, to reduce the financial chaos caused by a no-deal Brexit..

The Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, who is in charge of no-deal Brexit preparations, told business leaders he was considering the plan, according to reports on Friday from The Times and Sky News.

According to two sources, Gove said: "I don't know if this is a good idea at all.

"Tell me if it isn't. What about a bank holiday?"

Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, who became prime minister in July, has committed to taking the UK out of the EU on October 31 with or without a deal, despite warnings the country — particularly business — is not fully prepared for such an outcome.

A bank holiday would mean financial markets remained closed for 24 hours after the UK left the EU, which could soften the short-term impact and disruption on Britain's economy.

Downing Street sources last night insisted Gove's suggestion was not government policy, the Times reported.

One of the business representatives present in the meeting reportedly welcomed the idea, especially because France already has a bank holiday on the same day.

Others allegedly said the proposal would not protect Britain's financial markets because international markets would still respond negatively to a no-deal exit.

A Downing Street spokesperson told the Times: "Business round tables are an important forum to allow business to suggest and discuss ideas. While we welcome open discussion, a bank holiday on November 1 is not government policy and will not happen."

https://www.businessinsider.com/michael-gove-discussed-closing-banks-the-day-after-no-deal-brexit-2019-8?r=US&IR=T

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #23955 on: August 10, 2019, 06:04:33 pm »
I wonder how many MPs are regretting not supporting Labour's opposition motion from a couple of months ago. It was defeated 298-309.

Heh. Can point to several opportunities to take control of business. That's still possible all the same, whether by hijacking government legislation (unless Johnson tries to skip that and rely upon emergency powers post-Brexit, which would be a wild ride for everyone) or creative interpretations of what emergency debates allow, and it's more likely to have numbers in September and/or October than it did in late June prior to Johnson/Cummings making it clear they've no intention of negotiating with the EU. Question which is more concerning is what the legislation is for and how it will bypass government intransigence.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23956 on: August 10, 2019, 07:34:59 pm »

:lmao
W

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23957 on: August 10, 2019, 07:56:33 pm »

http://bit.ly/2RcX82Y (links to Hansard)

https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commons/2019-06-12/division/932D265A-A4BD-457C-AE3A-DD37C6A903C6/LeavingTheEUBusinessOfTheHouse?outputType=Party
Including those Lexit c*nts.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #23958 on: August 10, 2019, 08:00:16 pm »
Fuckwitted Pob lookalike Fuckwitted Pob lookalike Michael Gove suggested closing British banks the day after Brexit to prevent financial chaos

https://www.businessinsider.com/michael-gove-discussed-closing-banks-the-day-after-no-deal-brexit-2019-8?r=US&IR=T

'Kinell

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23959 on: August 10, 2019, 09:48:53 pm »
Fuckwitted Pob lookalike Fuckwitted Pob lookalike Michael Gove suggested closing British banks the day after Brexit to prevent financial chaos

Imagine if Blair, Miliband or Corbyn came out with this shite, the right would destroy them.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke