539 (72.8%)
Don't Know
10 (1.4%)
Don't Care
15 (2%)
I don't live in the UK
97 (13.1%)

Total Members Voted: 740

Author Topic: Brexit: "Vultus inanis est et mori in fossa ego sum!"  (Read 1466547 times)

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
There is zero chance of Corbyn accepting anyone else as PM. After all, he (and the nutters around him) really do not give a shit about a National Unity government or the UK crashing out of the EU.

But I do like the suggestion of Lucas as a non-partisan choice for PM. Makes a lot of sense.
Thinking about this point a bit more now it's been raised. maybe Corbyn is slipping up badly insisting he has to be PM. the Lib Dems ,greens and SNP will argue this is not about party politics, we have no intention of discussing party politics, it's about saving this country from a disastrous no deal. Corbyn and his cabinet ignore what they say and insist they will only join a coalition if Corbyn is leader. all the other parties now say fine, if that's what it takes to stop a no deal then Corbyn is now PM.
The election campaign begins, the Greens, Lib Dems+SNP tell voters the Labour leadership put party politics ahead of stopping a no deal. they explain what happened.
Chris Bryant

It feels as if the major from Fawlty Towers has taken over the Tory campaign.
10:42 PM · May 25, 2024
·

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
Thinking about this point a bit more now it's been raised. maybe Corbyn is slipping up badly insisting he has to be PM. the Lib Dems ,greens and SNP will argue this is not about party politics, we have no intention of discussing party politics, it's about saving this country from a disastrous no deal. Corbyn and his cabinet ignore what they say and insist they will only join a coalition if Corbyn is leader. all the other parties now say fine, if that's what it takes to stop a no deal then Corbyn is now PM.
The election campaign begins, the Greens, Lib Dems+SNP tell voters the Labour leadership put party politics ahead of stopping a no deal. they explain what happened.
And I thought I was given to flights of fancy! :)
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
And I thought I was given to flights of fancy! :)
Not with you,
Chris Bryant

·

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
The key point is that any coalition that is cobbled together after a VONC has to command the confidence of the house. So the majority of MPs will have to be in favour. That's why it's so tricky. Rather than Lucas (who is expecting to remain in politics) I think an elder soon-to-be- retiree, who clealry does not have designs on leadership and who can claim that they will stand down as soon as their job is done (getting the extension and instigating a GE), and be believed, is more likely to succeed in garnering the necessary votes. Beckett, Harman, Clarke etc

There's still the thorny question of the whip being withdrawn from those who vote for an alternative leader to their party leader. Will enough MPs have the guts to go that far, knowing they could well be shunned and even deselected in the aftermath?
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
Not with you,
I just mean that I cannot see Corbyn going through such a thought process. I know that you were not really suggesting that he would. I fully expect that he just 'slip up badly'.
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I just mean that I cannot see Corbyn going through such a thought process. I know that you were not really suggesting that he would. I fully expect that he just 'slip up badly'.
:) Well there's a real possibility this may well happen, if Corbyn wants to argue I have to be the boss then it's going to come over as rather childish as the whole country knows the reason the coalition was formed, they also know the coalition will only last days.
Chris Bryant

·

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
:) Well there's a real possibility this may well happen, if Corbyn wants to argue I have to be the boss then it's going to come over as rather childish as the whole country knows the reason the coalition was formed, they also know the coalition will only last days.
I hope you are right about that. I'd love to be proven wrong in such circumstances.

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I hope you are right about that. I'd love to be proven wrong in such circumstances.
:) I wish i could say Corbyns Labour will see the big picture and leave party politics out of it for the sake of the countries future and agree to a coalition, ive no idea what they will do.
Chris Bryant

·

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
to be fair that’s probably why it won’t be formed and he and the Labour Party will take the hit

Offline Brissyred

• RAWK's Great Uncle Google......
  • Legacy Fan
It's shit like this that caused this mess, and these people just get away with it again and again.

A Brexit Party MEP put a shocking claim about the EU on Facebook so we checked it out.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/brexit-mep-nathan-gill-lies-16691692

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
to be fair that’s probably why it won’t be formed and he and the Labour Party will take the hit
I suppose it will be one of the small consolations of us crashing out on Nov 1st,
 if we do crash out then I will be looking forward to the election debates after we have left.
Chris Bryant

·

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
Simon Jenkins believes that Cummings and Milne - the De facto deputy leaders of Johnson and Corbyn’s respective camps - are both using Trotskyist strategies.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/aug/05/boris-johnson-brexit-deal-eu-election?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
Raab has written an editorial in Canada's paper of record, The Globe and Mail, about strengthening relations post-Brexit between Canada and Britain. It's going down like a lead balloon based on the early comments and social media response (Brexit bots notwithstanding) from prominent Canadian political writers/bloggers
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/amp/opinion/article-after-brexit-canada-and-the-uk-will-become-even-closer-friends/

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Raab has written an editorial in Canada's paper of record, The Globe and Mail, about strengthening relations post-Brexit between Canada and Britain. It's going down like a lead balloon based on the early comments and social media response (Brexit bots notwithstanding) from prominent Canadian political writers/bloggers
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/amp/opinion/article-after-brexit-canada-and-the-uk-will-become-even-closer-friends/
We are trying to keep the trade deal we have now as members of the EU, Canada have refused to roll over the deal. same with many countries, how people expect us to get better trade deals when we can't even keep the deals we have now is beyond me.

Brexit blow: Canada refuses to roll over EU trade deal for UK - trade officials ‘furious’
CANADA has dealt a massive blow to the UK after refusing to roll over its trade deal with the EU in the event of a no deal Brexit, leaving officials “furious”.

By Paul Withers
PUBLISHED: 00:00, Thu, Jul 4, 2019
Chris Bryant

·

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
We are trying to keep the trade deal we have now as members of the EU, Canada have refused to roll over the deal. same with many countries, how people expect us to get better trade deals when we can't even keep the deals we have now is beyond me.

Brexit blow: Canada refuses to roll over EU trade deal for UK - trade officials ‘furious’
CANADA has dealt a massive blow to the UK after refusing to roll over its trade deal with the EU in the event of a no deal Brexit, leaving officials “furious”.

By Paul Withers
PUBLISHED: 00:00, Thu, Jul 4, 2019

The Canadian government spent years working out an agreement with the EU. The only chance Raab has of getting anything like what he wants is if the Conservatives win a majority in the upcoming federal election and I doubt the moderate ones, aside from the Reform Party fringe element, have any interest in bending backwards to give a deal

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
Brexit: No 10 rejects EU's view of talks

The government has rejected claims it is unwilling to negotiate with the EU and wants talks to fail to allow a no-deal Brexit.

It comes after the EU said UK demands to remove the Irish backstop from Theresa May's deal were unacceptable.

EU negotiators told European diplomats there was currently no basis for "meaningful discussions" and talks were back where they were three years ago.

Downing Street said the EU needed to "change its stance".

The European Commission said on Tuesday morning it was willing to hold talks in the coming weeks by phone or in person, "should the UK wish to clarify its position in more detail".

A spokeswoman added the agreement negotiated by Mrs May - rejected three times by MPs - was the "best possible deal", and could not be re-opened.

A No 10 spokesperson said: "The prime minister wants to meet EU leaders and negotiate a new deal - one that abolishes the anti-democratic backstop.

"We will throw ourselves into the negotiations with the greatest energy and the spirit of friendship and we hope the EU will rethink its current refusal to make any changes to the withdrawal agreement."

New Prime Minister Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson has pledged to leave the EU by the deadline of 31 October, with or without a deal.

BBC Brussels reporter Adam Fleming said the meeting on Sunday between officials and diplomats was a debrief from discussions last week between the EU, UK Brexit Secretary Steve Barclay and Mr Johnson's European envoy, David Frost.

A senior EU diplomat told the meeting a no-deal Brexit appeared to be the UK government's "central scenario", according to the Daily Telegraph and the Guardian.

"It was clear UK does not have another plan. No intention to negotiate, which would require a plan," the diplomat is reported to have said.

Mr Frost reiterated the prime minister's stance that the backstop element of Mrs May's plan must be abolished, and stressed that Mr Johnson's new ministers were not bound by commitments made by the previous government.

He also raised concerns about the UK's "divorce bill" and the proposed role of the European Court of Justice, the EU's top court, after Brexit.

Further talks between the two sides have not been ruled out, and Adam Fleming said the G7 summit in France at the end of August could be the moment of truth - the point at which a no-deal Brexit becomes inevitable.

Meanwhile, Mr Johnson is meeting his first foreign leader since entering Downing Street - Estonian Prime Minister Juri Ratas.

The country's Foreign Minister, Urmas Reinsalu, said earlier that while the "reality" was the withdrawal agreement - including the backstop - had been jointly agreed by EU member states, there was still a need for continued dialogue in the coming weeks to avoid a no-deal Brexit.

He told BBC Radio 4's Today programme alternatives to the backstop could be discussed after the ratification of the withdrawal deal.

The meeting follows an interview with Health Secretary Matt Hancock, who said he believed Parliament could no longer block the UK from leaving the EU without a deal.

Prominent pro-EU Conservative Dominic Grieve has insisted there are still a number of options available to MPs to block a no deal - including bringing down the government with a vote of no confidence.

He told BBC Radio 5Live the idea that Mr Johnson might refuse to resign even if he lost such a vote and another PM secured the confidence of the Commons was "breathtaking, stupid, infantile, and it won't work".

"Quite frankly, I'm astonished to hear these suggestions coming out," he added.

Meanwhile, Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab will begin a tour of North America on Tuesday as part of a bid to "fire up" the UK's trade relationships with countries outside the EU.

Mr Raab said the foreign ministers he saw at a meeting of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations in Thailand last week expressed a "consistent warmth" for the UK and a "desire to work more closely with us".

However, the former US treasury secretary, Larry Summers, said the UK was "delusional" if it believed it could secure a post-Brexit trade deal with Washington.

He told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "Britain has no leverage, Britain is desperate... it needs an agreement very soon. When you have a desperate partner, that's when you strike the hardest bargain."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49240809

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
Brexit: EU 'refusing to negotiate', says Gove

Cabinet minister Fuckwitted Pob lookalike Michael Gove says the EU "seem to be refusing to negotiate with the UK" over a new Brexit deal.

Mr Gove, who is responsible for no-deal planning, said he was "deeply saddened" that Brussels was, in his words, saying "no, we don't want to talk."

It comes after the EU said UK demands to remove the Irish backstop from Theresa May's deal were unacceptable.

Irish PM Leo Varadkar has reiterated that the withdrawal deal, including the backstop, cannot be renegotiated.

The European Commission said it was willing to hold further talks, "should the UK wish to clarify its position".

Theresa May's deal has been rejected three times by MPs and as things stand, the UK will leave the EU on 31 October whether it has agreed a new one or not.

On Sunday, EU negotiators told European diplomats there was currently no basis for "meaningful discussions" and talks were back where they were three years ago.

A senior EU diplomat reportedly said a no-deal Brexit appeared to be the UK government's "central scenario".

Addressing those suggestions, Mr Gove said: "At the moment, it's the EU that seems to be saying they're not interested, they are simply saying 'no, we don't want to talk'.

"I think that's wrong and sad, it's not in Europe's interests", he added.

Speaking on Tuesday in Belfast, Mr Varadkar told reporters he did not accept that a no-deal Brexit was unavoidable, adding there were "a number of ways" in which it could be avoided.

He said these options included ratifying Mrs May's deal, further extending the UK's EU membership, or the UK cancelling Brexit by revoking Article 50.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49251257

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The Canadian government spent years working out an agreement with the EU. The only chance Raab has of getting anything like what he wants is if the Conservatives win a majority in the upcoming federal election and I doubt the moderate ones, aside from the Reform Party fringe element, have any interest in bending backwards to give a deal
I think CETA has conditions that will impact any Canada+UK trade deal as well.
We are back to basic logic we all knew 3 yrs ago, who has the most bargaining power. 65 mill customers or 550 mill people. countries around the world are not letting us roll over our existing EU trade deals because we haven't got the bargaining power.
Chris Bryant

·

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
A lot of potential trading partners will just sit tight and see how badly we get screwed in negotiations by either the US or EU before starting serious negotiations over a long term deal

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
All the messaging about the EU not wanting to negotiate getting out now. I'm sure the targeted ads will follow online soon too.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
Those looking for the comments (and they are quite impressive), they are on the non-mobile version of the page:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-after-brexit-canada-and-the-uk-will-become-even-closer-friends/#comments

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The comments section shows how low the rest of the world sees Britain, don’t think those brexit were quite realised how much this country’s arrogance has pissed the rest of the world over the decades, now it’s time for them to pillage us, cheers guys, sure you’ll be fine tho

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
Brexit: Legal bid to prevent Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson shutting down parliament

A group of politicians has started a legal action aimed at preventing Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson shutting down parliament to force through a no-deal Brexit.

The group of 24 parliamentarians include Liberal Democrat leader Jo Swinson, SNP MP Joanna Cherry and independent MP Heidi Allen.

They lodged legal papers at the Court of Session in Edinburgh last week.

Their petition is being considered by a judge who will decide whether to allow the case to proceed.

The UK is currently due to leave the EU on 31 October, with the prime minister saying Brexit will definitely happen on that day regardless of whether or not a deal has been agreed with the EU.

Most MPs at Westminster are opposed to a no-deal Brexit, and there has been speculation that Mr Johnson could try to get around this by closing parliament in the run-up to 31 October.

This is known as proroguing, and would require the permission of the Queen.

The group of pro-Remain politicians involved in the legal action at Scotland's highest court argue that shutting down parliament in this manner would be unlawful.

They have instructed the same Good Law Project team that won a victory at the European Court of Justice last year over whether the UK could unilaterally cancel Brexit by revoking Article 50.

The legal papers claim that proroguing parliament ahead of Brexit would be "both unlawful and unconstitutional" and would have "irreversible legal, constitutional and practical implications for the United Kingdom".

And they stress that the petition "clearly concerns a live constitutional issue on which there is a real and practical necessity to have the court's determination as a matter of urgency".

It is understood that the case has been brought in Scotland because the Court of Session continues to sit over the summer, while the equivalent court in England is on holiday.

Mr Johnson has refused to rule out proroguing parliament, arguing that all options must be left on the table in order to ensure the EU referendum result is respected and the UK leaves on the scheduled day.

Speaker of the Commons John Bercow has said the idea of the parliamentary session ending in order to force through a no-deal Brexit is "simply not going to happen" and that that was "so blindingly obvious it almost doesn't need to be stated".

According to paperwork lodged at the Court of Session, the parliamentarians bringing the latest action are the MPs Joanna Cherry, Jo Swinson, Ian Murray, Geraint Davies, Hywel Williams, Heidi Allen, Angela Smith, Lord Hain, Baroness Jones of Moulescomb and the Right Honourable Janet Royall, the Baroness Royall of Blaisdon.

They are joined by Lord Winston, Lord Wood of Anfield, Debbie Abrahams MP, Rushanara Ali MP, Tonia Antoniazzi MP, Hannah Bardell MP and Dr Roberta Blackman Woods MP.

Other parliamentarians listed as bringing the action include Ben Bradshaw, Tom Brake, Karen Buck, Ruth Cadbury, Marsha Cordova, Ronnie Cowan and Neil Coyle MP.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-49251511

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
They are joined by Lord Winston, Lord Wood of Anfield, Debbie Abrahams MP, Rushanara Ali MP, Tonia Antoniazzi MP, Hannah Bardell MP and Dr Roberta Blackman Woods MP.
Isn't he busy fucking up Man Utd?
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
Isn't he busy fucking up Man Utd?
Lord wood of Goodison surely?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
'Britain has no leverage. Britain is desperate. Britain has nothing else': Trump will exploit the UK in trade talks, former US treasury secretary says

https://www.businessinsider.com/larry-summers-us-will-exploit-uk-in-post-brexit-trade-talks-2019-8?r=US&IR=T

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
'Britain has no leverage. Britain is desperate. Britain has nothing else': Trump will exploit the UK in trade talks, former US treasury secretary says

https://www.businessinsider.com/larry-summers-us-will-exploit-uk-in-post-brexit-trade-talks-2019-8?r=US&IR=T
Short Blair video giving people the facts of life on trade.
https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1134480402561753088
Chris Bryant

·

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
I wish they hadn’t headlined that ‘furious’.  It isn’t furious.  As he says, it’s just a fact.  But now there will be morons who think they’ve landed a hit.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
I wish they hadn’t headlined that ‘furious’.  It isn’t furious.  As he says, it’s just a fact.  But now there will be morons who think they’ve landed a hit.
And 'tirade' might imply that he was somewhat unhinged (which he wasn't). He was just assertive and understandably exasperated (as are most of us).

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Never gave much thought to the headline but you're probably right, it's not a good way to describe Blairs point.
And 'tirade' might imply that he was somewhat unhinged (which he wasn't). He was just assertive and understandably exasperated (as are most of us).
Yeah, Blairs points were clinical, he understands and explains the impossible situation this country will face after Brexit.. a Nation alone sitting down on a table and asking for a trade deal with the USA. maybe China, India have already told us our immigration rules are too strict and any deal depends on us relaxing them.
I think it's obvious whats coming if we crash out, as the EX USA Treasury secretary says.we will be desperate to sign trade deals after Brexit, we will sign bad deal after bad deal and the Tories will argue they've singed a fantastic deal.far better than the deal we had before.

Chris Bryant

·

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Full of replies from dipshit maga loving Yanks.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline leroy

• Legacy Fan
It's basic logic.  Like he says, power is power and Great Britain is no longer a powerful nation.  Leaving a larger entity makes you weaker not stronger.

Online Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
It's basic logic.  Like he says, power is power and Great Britain is no longer a powerful nation.  Leaving a larger entity makes you weaker not stronger.
It's like a single soldier leaving a powerful army and going solo and then thinking he'll be stronger alone than as part of the army.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
Never gave much thought to the headline but you're probably right, it's not a good way to describe Blairs point. Yeah, Blairs points were clinical, he understands and explains the impossible situation this country will face after Brexit.. a Nation alone sitting down on a table and asking for a trade deal with the USA. maybe China, India have already told us our immigration rules are too strict and any deal depends on us relaxing them.
I think it's obvious whats coming if we crash out, as the EX USA Treasury secretary says.we will be desperate to sign trade deals after Brexit, we will sign bad deal after bad deal and the Tories will argue they've singed a fantastic deal.far better than the deal we had before.
Worse than that, Pelosi has made it clear that if the UK reneges on its GFA commitments, there is zero chance of Congress agreeing to any kind of Trade agreement. There is little reason to believe that this position would change under a new government.

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
The stat about the UK being the 5/6/7th largest economy in the world always sounds  a lot more impressive than it is in reality in showing how much negotiaqting power the UK has with the big trading blocks.

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
Brexit: Food industry seeks no-deal competition waiver

The UK food industry has asked the government to waive aspects of competition law to allow firms to co-ordinate and direct supplies with each other after a no-deal Brexit.

The Food and Drink Federation (FDF) said it repeatedly asked ministers for clarity on a no-deal scenario.

Existing rules prohibit suppliers and retailers discussing supply or pricing.

The industry says leaving in the autumn could pose more supply problems than the original Brexit date last March.

The FDF, which represents a wide range of food companies and trade associations, said: "We asked for these reassurances at the end of last year. But we're still waiting."

The boss of one leading retailer told the BBC: "At the extreme, people like me and people from government will have to decide where lorries go to keep the food supply chain going. And in that scenario we'd have to work with competitors, and the government would have to suspend competition laws."

The FDF's chief operating officer Tim Rycroft told the BBC that in the event of a no deal, there would be "selective shortages" of food that would go on for "weeks or months".

"It may be the government is going to come to us and say, 'can't you guys work together to ensure that remote communities or the elderly or children - at risk groups - don't suffer from these shortages'," he said.

"We're happy to help, but the CMA can fine companies up to 10% of turnover if they are guilty of anti-competitive behaviour. So we wouldn't be able to do that without some pretty cast iron reassurances."

He said the industry had asked for these reassurances at the end of last year, but despite "support" from the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, they were still waiting.

A government spokesman said: "The UK will be leaving the EU on 31 October and our top priority is supporting consumers and businesses in their preparations for Brexit.

"We are working closely with the food industry to support preparations as we leave the EU."

There is a precedent for the government or competition authorities to act in this way, with the government pointing to four previous examples of such orders having been made - three in relation to the defence industry (one of which was subsequently repealed), and a fourth made regarding arrangements for the supply of oil and petroleum products.

But John Fingleton, the former head of the Office for Fair Trading, warned: "The last time something like this happened was in relation to dairy prices in 2001 when companies incorrectly thought government words about higher prices for dairy farmers would protect them from competition law. It did not."

As a consequence, supermarkets faced huge fines for price fixing.

The cross-party Exiting the EU Committee has warned that a no deal could mean "damaging consequences" for sectors such as:

Car industry
    Food industry
    Services businesses
    Farming
    Pharmaceuticals
    Chemicals
    Technology
    Higher education

It comes after Domino's Pizza Group said it had spent £7m stockpiling ingredients, including tomato sauce, in case a no-deal Brexit disrupts supplies.

The company, which imports the tomato sauce for its pizza bases from Portugal, said the probability of shortages of ingredients had increased since March.

The FDF said it has repeatedly asked government to direct the CMA to issue a "letter of comfort" to the industry that such co-ordination would be considered legal, in the public interest and that the strict letter of the law would not be enforced in this situation.

The industry claims that the government, in internal discussions, has played down the impact a no-deal Brexit would have on the overall food supply.

One industry member said that a year ago: "Food was part of the conversation in terms of what to prioritise in a no-deal Brexit".

That has changed with the government now privately acknowledging there may be an impact on price and choice rather than overall availability.

The change in date for the UK to leave the European Union from the end of March to the end of October is also causing problems for the food industry as it relies more heavily on Europe for fresh food at this time of year.

There is also a lack of warehouse space available for stockpiling.

One retailer said that 31 October "is about the worst day you can pick," because warehouse capacity is at 105% in November, versus 75-80% in March.

They said that the UK would need 30 massive empty warehouses to store just a week's extra food supply.

Lord Haskins, former chairman of Northern Foods, told the BBC: "The government thinks food will flow normally in the event of a no-deal Brexit. I have my doubts.

"I think there will be some panic buying, that will create shortages. I am very worried about the supermarkets getting a priority, we have to remember the schools are very important, the NHS is very important… restaurants and catering. All of them have very complex distribution systems. I don't see how that can be left to the private sector to deal with frankly."

But the government spokesman said: "Half of the food we eat is produced in the UK. The rest of our food is imported, with 30% coming from the EU and 20% from other countries. There will not be an overall shortage of food in the UK after we leave the EU."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49258852

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
So will the Tories abandon their beloved free market principles or let granny starve?

Offline DJBrenton

• Legacy Fan
So will the Tories abandon their beloved free market principles or let granny starve?

Surely letting granny starve is well within Tory principles too?

edit - I'm not wholly comfortable using two of those words in the same sentence.
I have no children on RAWK. Anyone claiming to be my daughter is a blagger trying to bask in reflected glory.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
If only someone had told those fucking muppets that the deal was set in stone and non-negotiable months ago. Could've stopped them from making themselves look the bluffering fools they are.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Online Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
A lot of potential trading partners will just sit tight and see how badly we get screwed in negotiations by either the US or EU before starting serious negotiations over a long term deal

They’ll wait until we try trading on WTO rules then rip the guts out of the farming industry for a start. We are now run by the stupidest bunch of c*nts in the history of stupid c*nts.

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.