Author Topic: The Daniel Sturridge  (Read 293132 times)

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Daniel Sturridge
« Reply #1240 on: November 14, 2018, 10:08:03 pm »
dont really know about thr semantics of the whole fiasco but it was a joke on all parts even the club with their T-shirts iirc.

You don't know the whole semantics but you used that as part of your point to say there is clear bias against Liverpool from the FA? A bit daft that don't you think?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1241 on: November 14, 2018, 10:49:57 pm »
Have we ex-communicated him yet?

Offline GucciMane

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1242 on: November 15, 2018, 04:41:11 am »
You don't know the whole semantics but you used that as part of your point to say there is clear bias against Liverpool from the FA? A bit daft that don't you think?
I was in my feelings dont have the same belief any more.

Offline markthescouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1243 on: November 15, 2018, 08:41:11 am »
Some random fella stakes ten grand on a move to inter. If the bookies were that worried about inside info - just refuse the bet or put a cap on it. The reason why they didn't is either greed or they were safe in the knowledge that if the bet won, they could make a case for the bet being based on inside knowledge. Cake and eat it. Wankers.

Good point this and it got me thinking that as the bet lost, if the fella who stuck the money on the inter move was able to prove that it was a bet based on insider knowledge would, it the make the bet void and the bookies would have to pay back his stake? He’d also have some sort of punishment of course, but probably a small fine given that it’s not some sort of cindicut and he’s on a low wage (if reports are correct).

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1244 on: November 15, 2018, 09:36:57 am »
Good point this and it got me thinking that as the bet lost, if the fella who stuck the money on the inter move was able to prove that it was a bet based on insider knowledge would, it the make the bet void and the bookies would have to pay back his stake? He’d also have some sort of punishment of course, but probably a small fine given that it’s not some sort of cindicut and he’s on a low wage (if reports are correct).

No. The bookies would still keep the money in this event. They would void it if the bet won, but they don’t refund it if the bet loses. They do this with people who have duplicate accounts, people who match bet and people they ban etc.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #1245 on: November 15, 2018, 12:39:12 pm »
I remember that, especially when they were all in a huddle and then up popped a smiling Glen Johnson.
:lmao

what a post that was
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Entropicity

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1246 on: November 16, 2018, 02:15:10 am »
Have we ex-communicated him yet?

We will give him 1 hour grace before that.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1247 on: November 19, 2018, 08:09:01 pm »

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1248 on: November 19, 2018, 08:12:24 pm »
Wait, so it wasn’t even a winning bet? I mean surely if he was going to provide info on where he was moving to then he’d be ab;e to provide the right destination.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1249 on: November 19, 2018, 08:43:27 pm »
On the face of it this is a surreal charge.  People within his family talked to each other, resulting in one family member spunking £10k down the drain on a duff bet and one family member making some money on a different bet.

So Sturridge didn't place a football bet.  He didn't even place a bet on a different sport.  In fact, he didn't place a bet of any description.  And yet he's being charged with betting because he talked to somebody in his family about a loan move he was perhaps about to make.

Surely there must be more to it.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #1250 on: November 19, 2018, 09:24:51 pm »
Probably bet against him moving to Inter in all fairness.
:D

Online RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1251 on: November 19, 2018, 11:33:26 pm »
I remember that, especially when they were all in a huddle and then up popped a smiling Glen Johnson.

We could win the league this season, but it won't mean much unless just as Hendo lifts the trophy out pops a smiling Glen Johnson.

Offline simplyred84

• Holding back the years, but unfortunately not holding back the nonsense
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #1252 on: November 20, 2018, 03:16:03 am »
This episode is embarrassing for the FA. There are far deeper issues within the game and an issue like this is getting prominence? What a joke.

Offline theMilkman

• but doesn't deliver.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1253 on: December 5, 2018, 09:53:01 pm »
Thought he had a very good game. He's probably one of our most creative players.
"But the most important thing that we all must remember is that this football club is much more important and bigger than anybody."~ King Kenny Dalglish

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1254 on: December 5, 2018, 09:53:18 pm »
Was quality in his new position.

Some great touches and through balls.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #1255 on: December 5, 2018, 09:56:53 pm »
More and more looking like he’s not got the pace to be an out and out striker anymore, but has the touch and passing to be fantastic deeper

Superb in that second half
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #1256 on: December 5, 2018, 09:57:44 pm »
Much better as a 10, just couldn't get into the game until we made the switch.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1257 on: December 5, 2018, 09:58:15 pm »
He was decent but could have been a bit more incisive. Got to love him though.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1258 on: December 5, 2018, 09:58:20 pm »
Brilliant, not sure i'm watching the same game as some, many were acting like he did fuck all when in reality he was dropping deep and feeding players all game which is exactly what we've been wanting Bobby to do

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1259 on: December 5, 2018, 10:00:33 pm »
Game of two halves tonight. First half much to sloppy for me, couple of fancy touches aside. Then second half he lost the ball failing to hold it up and went down easy, didn't get the free kick and then from that they win a corner and the goal come a about.

After that he was much improved but I think It helps with more quality around him, more movement etc

My long term problem with the deeper role would be he loses possession, he's to nonchalant and looks for the free kick and alot of the time doesn't get it.

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #1260 on: December 5, 2018, 10:01:25 pm »
had about 5 clear fouls on him that the ref just didn't give, great second half performance
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1261 on: December 5, 2018, 10:35:05 pm »
More and more looking like he’s not got the pace to be an out and out striker anymore, but has the touch and passing to be fantastic deeper

Superb in that second half

Yeah the pace is gone either physically or mentally or both. But he can be a playmaker.

Offline YNWA_O

• Main Stander
« Reply #1262 on: December 5, 2018, 10:46:34 pm »
Brilliant, not sure i'm watching the same game as some, many were acting like he did fuck all when in reality he was dropping deep and feeding players all game which is exactly what we've been wanting Bobby to do

this

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1263 on: December 5, 2018, 10:53:24 pm »
Agree he needs movement around him. Never been a fan of him playing with another striker (i.e. Origi). Bad for both of them.

Offline grossagain

• Main Stander
« Reply #1264 on: December 5, 2018, 11:33:49 pm »
Yeah his touch and passing were superb tonight. Won't be able to do enough defensively to play the 10 role against better sides, but when we're against a team parking the bus then he's very well suited to it in terms of creativity.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #1265 on: December 6, 2018, 12:00:19 am »
Agree he needs movement around him. Never been a fan of him playing with another striker (i.e. Origi). Bad for both of them.

Not sure that's generally true - they've done well together quite a few times in the past haven't they? Was a big ask with how little football they've both had to hit it off. I think Sturridge thrives with a partner who can stretch teams in the way Salah did when he came on.

Offline The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1266 on: December 6, 2018, 12:14:54 am »
Not sure that's generally true - they've done well together quite a few times in the past haven't they? Was a big ask with how little football they've both had to hit it off. I think Sturridge thrives with a partner who can stretch teams in the way Salah did when he came on.

Agree; I thought this forum had reached that conclusion a while back (and that was back when he still had pace: him alone upfront now is a no no for me).

I thought he and Origi weren't too bad: just rusty. I'd start both of them againstore lower placed teams for rotating purposes.

Offline El_Pelusa_10

• Kopite
  • Diego Armando Maradona-Greatest Player Of All Time
« Reply #1267 on: December 6, 2018, 12:50:05 am »
Looked so much better as 10. I wonder could he be an option there for some games. He was involved in everything good as soon as he dropped back and had Mo up top to run onto things

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #1268 on: December 6, 2018, 03:25:47 am »
He's a good player to have on as a no.10 when we're in the lead. If the opponent is chasing the game, he's probably one of our best players for moving the ball on the counter into and around the final third.

But he's not a lockpicker. I don't think his passing and dribbling are so good that he'll create loads of space and chances on his own.

My view has been for some time that he's had a long mental transition from a no.9 to a no.10, because he's been stuck in limbo still thinking like a 9 with pace and tricks, when he's got the brains and and skills to be a 10. Off the top of my head he's got:

* Very good first touch
* Probably the next best through ball in the team after Firmino and Keita
* Best finisher in the team
* Just enough skill, although not the pace, to create some space on the ball for himself to crack a shot

I find it hard to see him as the kind of unstoppable 10 Coutinho could be that would be double or triple marked, but he's smart and savvy enough to do a job.

I'm still really keen for him to get a new rolling contract (one year with an option for one), because I'd love it if he could be a part of a league winning Liverpool team.

Online jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1269 on: December 6, 2018, 03:43:28 am »
had about 5 clear fouls on him that the ref just didn't give, great second half performance
So glad to see him able to get up from the tackles, undamaged!   :)
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1270 on: December 6, 2018, 06:37:19 am »

I think its the other way around in that I dont think he has been effective when playing up on his own. He had a few games in 12/13 when he played well on his own up front but generally his best form has been when he ays with another striker and between them they give each other more space.

Offline Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1271 on: December 6, 2018, 07:46:30 am »
I thought he was excellent in the second half when he dropped deeper. He’s lost his pace and the acceleration he had, but he still has undeniable quality on the ball.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1272 on: December 6, 2018, 07:49:13 am »
Could he be retrained as a number 10. A bit like Dembele of Tottenham who was a striker but kept going further back.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #1273 on: December 6, 2018, 07:50:36 am »
Reminded me of John Barnes circa 94-97. Lack of pace but a quality left foot just sitting in behind the younger lads.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline Kansti

• Legacy Fan
  • Stargazer
« Reply #1274 on: December 6, 2018, 08:07:57 am »
He's a good player to have on as a no.10 when we're in the lead. If the opponent is chasing the game, he's probably one of our best players for moving the ball on the counter into and around the final third.

But he's not a lockpicker. I don't think his passing and dribbling are so good that he'll create loads of space and chances on his own.

My view has been for some time that he's had a long mental transition from a no.9 to a no.10, because he's been stuck in limbo still thinking like a 9 with pace and tricks, when he's got the brains and and skills to be a 10. Off the top of my head he's got:

* Very good first touch
* Just enough skill, although not the pace, to create some space on the ball for himself to crack a shot

I find it hard to see him as the kind of unstoppable 10 Coutinho could be that would be double or triple marked, but he's smart and savvy enough to do a job.

I'm still really keen for him to get a new rolling contract (one year with an option for one), because I'd love it if he could be a part of a league winning Liverpool team.

Hard to disagree with any of that. I sincerely hope that he comes to a realisation that he doesn't have the pace and power to be a no9 for us. What he is though is just a hell of a player. Like you have mentioned, he has got the skill, technique and vision to still be an attacking threat. What I like the most about Sturridge, is that he has the ability to suddenly slow the game down and force defenders into playing at his own pace. (I don't really know how to describe this aptly, but the closest example I can think of is Ozil). Now that may sometimes be detrimental to our tempo when we are looking at building a rhythm, but if applied correctly, I think its a brilliant tool to unlock defences. I hope Sturridge is on board with the idea of reinventing himself. Legs have definitely gone, but he still has a lot in his arsenal to be a quality asset. Maybe more of a bergkamp than a henry. 

Offline Oberyn_Martell

• Desperate for it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1275 on: December 6, 2018, 09:20:24 am »
Baffling how he manages to be so good despite having lost the primary weapons which made him one of the quickest ever players to 50 goals for us.

He should rotate in game between 9 and 10 he can still score but he can’t get chances inside the box often enough and when he gets one he’s inevitable rusty. He was brilliant as the 10 though. New contract please.
Mods can you change my name to Melissa x

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1276 on: December 6, 2018, 09:24:47 am »
Great to see him smiling at the end.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1277 on: December 6, 2018, 09:27:07 am »

* Very good first touch

But to be honest, what 28/29 year old striker is going to be on Coutinhos level as a 10? That's hardly a bad thing and cannot be the level expected of him because its just unbelievably unrealistic.

You said his passing and dribbling aren't that good he'll create loads of space and chances on his own but he managed it last night and if he's got the best through ball in the team after Firmino and Keita, how much better does his passing need to be to be 'that good'?

He's more than good enough to play in that false 9 role in my opinion, one of the most skillful players we have, very good passer and has wonderful game intellegence, for someone playing in the hole pace really isn't something crucial and he has a shot that will always be threatening from distance. He seems more than comfortable dropping off rather than insisting on trying to run in behind.

The only criticism I have for last night is he lost the ball too easily a couple of times, but again... that's generally comes with someone in the 10 role as they take a lot of risks.

Offline simplyred84

• Holding back the years, but unfortunately not holding back the nonsense
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #1278 on: December 7, 2018, 12:03:50 am »
Reminded me of John Barnes circa 94-97. Lack of pace but a quality left foot just sitting in behind the younger lads.

Brilliant comparison!

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1279 on: December 7, 2018, 06:51:54 am »
But to be honest, what 28/29 year old striker is going to be on Coutinhos level as a 10? That's hardly a bad thing and cannot be the level expected of him because its just unbelievably unrealistic.

You said his passing and dribbling aren't that good he'll create loads of space and chances on his own but he managed it last night and if he's got the best through ball in the team after Firmino and Keita, how much better does his passing need to be to be 'that good'?

He's more than good enough to play in that false 9 role in my opinion, one of the most skillful players we have, very good passer and has wonderful game intellegence, for someone playing in the hole pace really isn't something crucial and he has a shot that will always be threatening from distance. He seems more than comfortable dropping off rather than insisting on trying to run in behind.

The only criticism I have for last night is he lost the ball too easily a couple of times, but again... that's generally comes with someone in the 10 role as they take a lot of risks.

I dont think Coutinho is a number 10 to be fair, not in the free role sense.