Author Topic: Football commentator/pundits  (Read 57026 times)

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Football commentator/pundits
« Reply #760 on: May 14, 2024, 03:43:11 pm »
Had Peter Drury on our game last night. He is an improvement on Tyler he is fine when just commentating but some of his scripted stuff is painful, ten minutes in and he was quoting Buzz Lightyear because Tom Hanks was in the crowd.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #761 on: May 14, 2024, 10:16:38 pm »
I was switching tonight between the TV and radio for that game, but I heard both Jamie Carragher and Danny Mills give Man Of the Match to Ortega for a save against Son. Is that really enough for a MOTM award now ? Or is that just the equivalent of the lazy give it to the striker who scored the only goal of the game MOTM award

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #762 on: June 1, 2024, 10:10:09 pm »
Christ I thought the quality of the analysis from BT tonight was as bad as its ever been. From "Fletch" stating the bloody obvious like - "there's a competitive nature out there" or "Toni Kroos won't want to be on the losing side tonight" only beaten by after 40 mins  "bringing in Rio Ferdinand for his expert analysis who wants to make a point about Vinicius Juniors performance", only for Ferdinand to tell us that he has done nothing, but he's one of them players who can change the game in a flash.

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #763 on: June 1, 2024, 10:21:05 pm »
It’s a shame he was mixed in with them (and for being a gobshite in general), but I liked Mourinho again. The rest are all banter pricks, from Laura Woods, through to all the pundits and commentators.

Maybe not Hargreaves, but I just think that’s because he has no personality in general. Beige in human form.
AHA!

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #764 on: June 1, 2024, 10:30:44 pm »
It’s a shame he was mixed in with them (and for being a gobshite in general), but I liked Mourinho again. The rest are all banter pricks, from Laura Woods, through to all the pundits and commentators.

Maybe not Hargreaves, but I just think that’s because he has no personality in general. Beige in human form.

I didn't even listen to or watch any pre game or half time stuff to hear Mourinho, but as a pundit I've always found him brilliant. He's a massive twat as a manager like, but he knows his onions when he's talking about football. I can't get my head around Ferdinand though and why they keep saying they're bringing him is for his expert opinion. he's absolutely dreadful.

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #765 on: June 3, 2024, 09:16:33 am »
I don’t know what you mean, I think this is great analysis…

https://x.com/footballontnt/status/1797178287413702885?s=46

:butt :butt :butt
AHA!

Offline 9 kemlyn road

• Main Stander
« Reply #766 on: June 3, 2024, 10:01:33 am »

God Almighty,that is what passes as expert analysis?
Thick as pigshit .stealing a living .

Offline DarkOfTheManatee

• Anny Roader
« Reply #767 on: June 3, 2024, 10:31:21 am »

The crazy thing is that becoming the punditry equivalent of those football YouTuber 'react' videos isn't actually a deterioration of his previous worthless standard. Sky, TNT, Talksport and the like have done a great job in assembling a cast of unlikeable, attention-seeking 'celebrity' pundits to maximise engagement without alienating any viewers with actual analysis.

Separately, I was listening to the CL final on Five Live, and was amazed at what Paul Clement offered as their expert pundit. A lot of successful coaches/managers like Mourinho, Rafa etc. are good pundits, but Clement's input was mostly along the lines of "I've worked with Carlo, and I know he'll want Real to play better" or "Dortmund need to put away their chances". Really uninspiring to listen to as well. Maybe he was told to keep it simple by the BBC, but it did make me understand why he might not have been able to make the jump from successful assistant to successful manager, as he wasn't remotely interesting or insightful.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #768 on: June 3, 2024, 01:37:33 pm »

what the fuck even is that.

The absolute state, look at him looking around for reactions, and no one will engage with him.

Punditry on English channels be it Sky or TNT is pathetic, the long (and unending) banter era of football in itself is pathetic, and they are a big part of the problem, employing thick, gormless pricks like him.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #769 on: June 3, 2024, 01:59:38 pm »
Ferdinand is one of the stupidest men I've ever seen given a platform to speak. I guarantee if Vinicius misses a few sitters in a group stage game next season he'll talk about how his finishing always lets him down and he's peaky. He turns like a weathervane. Reactionary Rio.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline spen71

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #770 on: June 3, 2024, 02:03:47 pm »
Is Rio on something there?   His eyes look a bit glazed

Offline oldman

• Kopite
« Reply #771 on: June 3, 2024, 03:07:13 pm »
Christ I thought the quality of the analysis from BT tonight was as bad as its ever been. From "Fletch" stating the bloody obvious like - "there's a competitive nature out there" or "Toni Kroos won't want to be on the losing side tonight" only beaten by after 40 mins  "bringing in Rio Ferdinand for his expert analysis who wants to make a point about Vinicius Juniors performance", only for Ferdinand to tell us that he has done nothing, but he's one of them players who can change the game in a flash.

Ferdinand takes bad punditry to a new low