Author Topic: Prematch Thread: Chelsea v Liverpool Sunday the 6th of May, Kick off 16:30  (Read 43370 times)

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
                                          VS

Sunday 6th of May--16:30 kickoff

The Battle For Champions League Qualification

Liverpool perspective:

So after the exceptional high of getting through the Semi Final vs Roma, Liverpool turn their attention to the League. Jurgen Klopp will be waiting for news of any additional knocks post match. He will pick the strongest side at his disposal. No time for resting players now.

For Liverpool a draw will do, baring Chelsea scoring a massive amount of goals their next two matches and we lose to Brighton as well. Brighton should be on the beach by the time they play us as they have Man Utd H, Man City A, then Liverpool at Anfield.

However we can lose to Chelsea and just beat Brighton to qualify as well.

We have all the options. Jurgen will want to wrap top four up this weekend. Jurgen has taken us to Stamford Bridge twice in the League and we've won both times. Three draws at Anfield. With no defeats. So his record as manager v Cheslea is 2W, 3D, 0L.

The players looked leggy towards the end of the match v Roma. However, we are on a roll and the positivity of making the Final should give those legs impetus to perform vs Chelsea. Let's hope the lads bring their scoring boots. The travelling Kop will have their voices with them. Reminding all and sundry, We've conquered all of Europe. Jurgen need not worry about support from us.

Chelsea perspective:

Reigning League Champions have stuttered since the first of the year. Losing in the League to Bournemouth, Watford, Man Utd, Man City, and Spurs. But they've won their last three in a row, four if you add in the FA Cup semi Final. So are they gathering a bit of steam to push for a Champions League spot?

Antonio Conte seemed to have lost the edge in the side. Various rumors of Antonio leaving the end of the season haven't helped. But they righted the ship versus some lower half sides with not playing particular great football along the way. More pragmatic in their play.

They should be up for the match this weekend. They know that they need to win their last three fixtures to have a chance. They're well rested as well before they play three matches in eight days. Will their heads drop should we take an early lead? Time will tell and hopefully we ask that question come Sunday with a couple of goals early.

Match Stat: Chelsea are winless in their last six Premier League meetings with Liverpool (D3 L3). They last had a longer run without a victory against them in the top flight between 1985 and 1990 (10 matches).

The Referee:

And now a word on my favorite subect, the Ref.

Referee: Anthony Taylor
Assistants: Gary Beswick, Adam Nunn
Fourth official: Craig Pawson

So we have Wythenshawe of greater Manchester born Anthony Taylor scheduled for our match. We actually don't have a bad record in the League when he's officiated our matches 16W, 9D, 4L. Our away record with him is 8W, 5D, 3L. So 50% of the time we have won the away match with him in charge.

He has officiated this fixture once back in Novermber 2014 at Anfield and Chelsea won 2-1. Balotelli led the line, Can scored early, then Cahill levelled it, Costa with the winner. He handed out 5 yellows that day.

He has a similar favorable record when doing Chelsea league matches; 11W, 6D, 2L. At Stamford Bridge he has yet to ref when Cheslea have lost: 6W, 3D, 0L.

Hopefully Anthony Taylor knows a handball when he sees it. Unlike some recent Refs we've had.

Summary:

Everyone knows what is at stake. Will our lads have enough in the tank on Sunday? Will Jurgen freshen the side a bit?

Fortunately this is not an early kickoff where our record has been 1W, 5D, 2L. So we won't be sleepy for this match.

I predict the lads will once again show why Liverpool Football Club is a Top Four side and will qualify for the Champions League through league position.

Let's put this to bed and party like it's 1999... 8)
« Last Edit: May 3, 2018, 03:13:15 am by 4pool »
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
Top OP, Cheers :wave

Offline Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
Dreading this one and we'll be fatigued but buoyed after the result.

Midfield same old but for me Bobby or Salah rested. I'd play Solanke through the middle as he'll want to prove something to his former employers. Clyne in for TAA as he needs a rest. Don't think Moreno gets a shout. Klavan might come in for Lovren.

Won't be easy but get the win or a  draw and we can rest and focus on Kiev.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
I'd play same team.

We have nothing really on bench. Maybe Clyne to play.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Dave D

• Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich
  • Legacy Fan
11-0 Liverpool

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
Rest the players who need it. Players will need game time ahead of the final still but avoiding injuries is the most important thing.
« Last Edit: May 3, 2018, 09:45:01 am by Chris~ »

Offline A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming. Isn’t as good as Divock Origi. Can we sell him?
  • Legacy Fan
If Conte approaches this game as he did Man City, where he basically gave them the points that'd be nice...

Strongest team available and lets secure European Cup footy again next year. Besides it'd be nice to do that in front of and at the expense of their notoriously lovely bunch of fans.

Offline Eliit

• Kopite
Play the strongest team. They will have plenty of rest after that and you can't fear for injuries every time you enter the pitch. Get this top 4 place sewn up as soon as possible.

Offline mkingdon

• Legacy Fan
Tricky one this.

Does Klopp back us to win at home vs Brighton and rest a few here?  Personally I don't think he will.

There's a week between this game and Brighton and I think he'll ask the first 11 to go again for one last effort to get CL secured.

I expect minimal changes, Clyne for Trent maybe, and that's it.  Mainly as we have no other midfielders who can play in this than those who played in Rome.

Karius

Clyne     Lovren     VVD   Robertson

Henderson

Wijnaldum             Milner

Salah            Bobby         Mane

Offline Kelvinlfc

• Legacy Fan
  • #JFT96
Get a point and wrap the most important players in cotton wool until the final.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
We’ll be full strength against Brighton as then a 13 day gap

Rest whoever needs one. Don’t risk injuries

If we scrape a draw, delighted. If not we have two one off matches to qualify for next years CL. Exciting times

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
They need to win so the game should be quite open, so lets hope we can exploit that. At least a draw would be good as I can't see us getting nothing from the Brighton game or them eating up our massive goal advantage.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline Reds Flag

• Legacy Fan
We've got two games between now and the 26th, play the best team that's fit. A draw would seal CL qualification for us for next year (given goal difference) and allow us 20 days to think of nothing but the final, with a bonus training match at Anfield the weekend after to keep us sharp.

Also, needless to say, I can't stand Chelsea or their horrible fans and don't want to see them celebrating a victory over us whatever the circumstances.

Offline A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming. Isn’t as good as Divock Origi. Can we sell him?
  • Legacy Fan
They need to win so the game should be quite open, so lets hope we can exploit that. At least a draw would be good as I can't see us getting nothing from the Brighton game or them eating up our massive goal advantage.

I can't see it being open, more of a stifle our front 3 playing deep and looking to be efficient in attack by taking their chances. I suspect Conte would look to keep tight lines between midfield and defence so we don't have a great deal of space to burst into, whilst flooding the midfield so when they do have possession they have plenty of options to work the ball up the pitch gradually without committing too many players in front of play, to ensure there is not a lot of space left in behind should they lose possession.

They'll be looking for a clean sheet and an a efficient 1-0 / 2-0 win, i'd be surprised if they had more than half a dozen shots on target.

We got an insight into Conte's thought process against City where he explained it was suicidal to give them space to justify his defensive approach. He'll set his team up with his first thought to nullify what we can do to hurt his team.

In context of the game last night, the lack of rotation options in our midfield and forward line, i'd almost be inclined to reverse our gegenpressing approach, and conserve energy in the first period of the match, lure their full back forwards - lull them into a false sense of security, then as they feel comfortable coming further forward, switch on the press as the space appears - then push the forward line up against their defence out and exploit that space.

If we come out the blocks going at them, not only will they expect this - we'll end up playing 90 minutes against a low block with little space to utilise our greatest asset - speed on the break.

Offline Byrneand

• Kopite
It's a shame for TAA that Clyne should probably come in for this all things being equal irrespective of his performance. It's the only rotation on the team where there isn't a big drop off in quality and so it just makes sense.

For the record, I think TAA has played brilliantly this year, seems to have a great character and is destined for big things if he keeps performing and improving the way he has this year.
If you can't walk in a straight line.... you shouldn't be playing for Liverpool. End of

Offline ShanklysBest

• Boys Pen
  • A Liverbird upon my chest...
Barring any niggles from last night I'd go full strength. Let Salah run riot against the team who tossed him away. Wonder would he celebrate?
"How can you tell your wife you are just popping out to play a match and then not come back for five days?"- Rafa Benitez on test cricket

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
Normally I would say go full strength and get CL boxed off. However, the way the games fall I think if we want to rest any players then the Chelsea game makes more sense than Brighton. Due to the 13 day gap between Brighton and the CL final I think Klopp will want his main players to play against Brighton. Not sure you want a 20 day absence of playing time before the biggest game of the season.

It could be that we rest some players against Chelsea and play the full team against Brighton. Or play a full strength team in both games.

If we box CL off this weekend, he may use the Brighton game to give certain players 45 minutes. The front 3 or the midfield 3 not playing any part at Brighton (if fit) doesn't seem like a Klopp thing to do. Obviously you are a bit restricted in this scenario due to only having 3 subs.

I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Barring any niggles from last night I'd go full strength. Let Salah run riot against the team who tossed him away. Wonder would he celebrate?

Same. There’s no way we don’t score in this game .

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
go for the win....do not lose

how do we play this? they are smart, they know how to win and will be well rested for this. All this talk of Conte going I don't think has phased them that much, they seem to have got their heads back on the job, they'll want to play in the CL next season especially after watching what we've just done.

not to mention getting one over on us is something they always enjoy.

This has to be completely professional from us, no stupidity at the back.....take our chances when they come and no bad decision-making. Easier said than done  ::)

They're not a high pressing team. But they can exploit spaces so we have to keep it narrow and force them out wide....and win our battles on the pitch

Complete concentration.

We should set up how we set up yesterday
(without the complacency in the 2nd half)

2-1 reds
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
Moreno and Clyne should definitely play this. May Ings for one of the front three. Otherwise, we should go full strength with Lallana hopefully getting a little run out towards the end if fit.

Offline kopite 1

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • those were the days my friends
90th minute winner from Salah to break the record against them lot would be great, Then play a very weak team against Brighton
support the fight for justice dont buy the sun

jft96

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
Players need to get used to playing all these super important games toward the end of season while being really tired. Just 3 games left, no need for rotation, adrenalin and momentum will get us through, let's keep the party going.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Do we really need to play this? Really?

Could rest all our main players and gamble on Brighton but it would be nice for that home game to be an exhibition and get some minutes into Clyne and Lallana’s legs.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
Players need to get used to playing all these super important games toward the end of season while being really tired. Just 3 games left, no need for rotation, adrenalin and momentum will get us through, let's keep the party going.

How do you get used to being tired exactly?
Don’t think anyone could accuse this group of not giving 100% - the exact opposite. They’re one of the most committed lfc teams I’ve watched... and yet they’ve faded badly in the second half of their last 4 games
Why didn’t adrenalin and momentum stop that happening?
Ultimately attitude doesn’t overcome biology and - understandably - our first eleven are tired

I don’t think there’s an easy answer as to what to do with the limited options he has. When push comes to shove the final has to dictate what ever choices we can make

Offline rojo para la vida

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
Excellent OP, just the right length.

We want to wrap up top four and we want to wrap up Mo's Golden Boot and I want one more pay day from the bookies for Mo to score two or more please.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me

I dont think you're allowed to just not turn up 😂
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
I find it absolutely bizarre top athletes are treated as if they are pub players fitness wise

Chelsea Brighton and CL final full strength to end the season, 3 games in 25 days, there's absolutely No problem with that. If it's injuries that's the concern well then why play anyone ever.

If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
Probably has to be the same team as last night providing they're all ready to go

These are shite and have dropped a lot of points at home this season. A draw would be fucking great, let's get to the Brighton game already there and give them a fucking send off

Into these fucking horrible bastards redmen
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
I'd go as strong as possible for this. We really don't want or need to be going into the final game having to win. Let's put it to bed here and leave next week to be a real party and a send-off for the lads ahead of Kiev.

We can make certain changes, but without a pretty sizeable drop-off in quality necessity probably dictates that it'll be fewer than we might expect. I'd like to see Clyne start and you can argue a case for Klavan as well. If we choose to rest one of the front three then that at least gives us a viable option from the bench (assuming it's not through injury), although i'd hope it's only the one change, if any, there due to the drop-off mentioned, no disrespect to Ings and Solanke. If the three of them start then i'd probably opt for holding back Moreno as a wildcard attacking option, purely for the pace and energy that he could introduce in the wide areas. If Gomez is fit and you're concerned about minutes with Robertson, Gomez in after 60 and either him or Clyne switching to the left would be an option. If we need a change in the midfield then it really is down to Trent and whether or not he's able to go again after last night. Perhaps more of an option last thirty, depending on the scenario. It's a balancing act for Klopp, this, and not one that I envy him for. On the one hand he needs to look after people with Kiev looming amidst the context of a depleted squad, and on the other he needs to get minutes and rhythm into the lads on the fringe, any of whom could still end up being needed at any point, including the final itself. Ultimately that balance needs to be struck in a way that gives us the best chance of getting the result we need at Stamford Bridge on Sunday.

Here's what I would probably go for: -

Karius

Clyne        van Dijk     Klavan       Robertson

Henderson
          Wijnaldum          Milner

Salah                                            Mane
                        Firmino

Subs:
Mignolet
Gomez
Lovren
Moreno
Alexander-Arnold
Ings
Solanke
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
Clyne and Moreno in for TAA & Robertson.

Possibly Klavan for Lovren.

Those are the only changes we should be making. I'd be playing the full team in all 3 games remaining if possible but with only 3 full days rest after Roma then we have to allow some rotation.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan

Could rest all our main players and gamble on Brighton but it would be nice for that home game to be an exhibition and get some minutes into Clyne and Lallana’s legs.

Why would we want to gamble on top 4 against Brighton.

We've seen the West Brom and Stoke games.

Full strength.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
I'd be tempted to put Salah on the bench for this one, he's been off the pace the last two games and looks like he needs a rest.  Keep it level and then bring him in with 20 minutes left.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
Same XI but Clyne in for Trent. We need an option there.

Let's twat these plastic twats.
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Let's get a point, it's all we need. don't care about anything else, just get it done.

Karius

Clyne
Van Dijk
Lovren
Moreno

Henderson
Wijnaldum
Mane
Salah

Firmino
Solanke

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
A draw will do, please make it happen! Don't mind an away win either.
Believer

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
Those going..give the 5 times song loads, .....limited oppurtunity left to use it!! ;)
« Last Edit: May 3, 2018, 02:20:19 pm by FlashingBlade »

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
I'd be happy with a 0-0 borefest
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline QR350

• Definitely NOT one of the "irregulars".....RAWK Queen: spends a lot of time on the throne!
  • Kopite
Hope we smash these. Literal meaning of the phrase turd that won't flush.

Offline Macca201188

• Kopite

Don't think he did at Anfield, but then that may have been due to the problems in Egypt at the time.
The reds are comin up the hill boys....

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Park the bus, park the bus, Liverpooooooool.

May be too early for Lallana, but feel he will be required at some point. Our midfield 3 have had a rough few weeks, and two of them have played over 40 games this season.