Author Topic: PL: Southampton 0-2 Liverpool (Bob 6'. Salah 42')  (Read 35276 times)

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: PL: Southampton 0-2 Liverpool (Bob 6'. Salah 42')
« Reply #400 on: February 11, 2018, 11:09:48 pm »
3 LOVELY POINTS. Oh happy days.

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #401 on: February 11, 2018, 11:12:30 pm »
massive win today. Tough first half but much better performance 2nd half and should have won by more. Great result and puts pressure on the teams around us.
alf a pound of braeburns!

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #402 on: February 11, 2018, 11:16:56 pm »
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Gaz123456

• Legacy Fan
  • 2005 - The best and worst year of my life
    • Elite Financial Planning Consultants
« Reply #403 on: February 11, 2018, 11:54:55 pm »
All in all, a good weekend. decent performance without being spectacular, three points and some of our rivals slipping up.

Onto Porto and the next ride on our rollercoaster

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #404 on: February 12, 2018, 12:24:05 am »
Boring boring Liverpool. No comeback from the opposition team, solid goalkeeping, ahead from the 6th minute.

Where's the entertainment? Disgusting.
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #405 on: February 12, 2018, 12:24:36 am »
We can always improve, but it looks like we may have finally found our new leader at the back. With VVD in the team, as that leader, we will find a suitable partner for him. If we haven't got him already, we will find him. Our problem has been that this role has not been filled. We have bought Lovren, Sakho, Matip and Klavan and it's like all of them have been the support player rather than the leader. It's the same in defensive midfield. We have tried a bit of everything, but there is no clear hierachy. Once we get that defensive midfielder in, this will get even better.

You hit the nail on the head there as defensively I think we are pretty much set as have 7 or 8 players all vying for the start in the backline so cover everywhere virtually but add a DM to the mix as well then you have the defensive cover in midfield we badly lack in certain games / moments in games where we panic. Also while Karius had a very solid game today I still think we need a leader btw the posts too as its probably the most important position on the pitch. Karius could light the world on fire and become that leader but will not happen overnight and no way should we go into next season without adding a beast to fight for the #1 spot with Karius.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #406 on: February 12, 2018, 12:56:20 am »
We seemed to have played at 65% pace.
Giving more possession to Soton. 

Efficient 3 points.
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline whiteboots

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #407 on: February 12, 2018, 01:02:41 am »
A good win in what amounts to a home fixture, now on to the important stuff- Europe.

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #408 on: February 12, 2018, 01:05:12 am »
Delighted with the win an 3 points, solid defence, could have scored a lot MORE! together with Utd loss make a perfect weekend!
Believer

Offline KopThat

• "See Tom turn red, See Tom run, Oh happy days."
  • Legacy Fan
  • He who laughs last, didn't quite get the joke...
    • GameFaceMe
« Reply #409 on: February 12, 2018, 01:19:07 am »
Two quality goals and nice work by Karius meant we held off Southampton in the first and cruised in the second half.

We have given up too many late goals and should be comfortably second, but pressure is on for the last 3 of top 4 places.

Offline Walk on, walk on

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll never walk alone.
« Reply #410 on: February 12, 2018, 02:14:39 am »
We put in a bid for Lemina yet?  ;D
Liverpool don't turn up against shit teams so Wenger picks the shittest line up possible.
The man is a genius!

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #411 on: February 12, 2018, 02:58:44 am »
It didn’t matter but Atkinson gave us fuck all today. Shocker. Booked Can for a clean tackle and no fouls on Bobby

Yep.. thought Bobby had shagged his missus before the game.. Didn't give him anything.. At least 3 fouls in quick succession before the penalty shout..
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
« Reply #412 on: February 12, 2018, 04:18:14 am »
Win with a midfield of Emre and Wijnaldum... Haha!!! Can't get more happier than that.
Lallana was pushing forward, driving the play to the side while Milner calmed
things down, slowing the tempo (maybe purposedly with the specific and timing
instruction from Klopp who knows) while still after that, still managed to get
Wijnaldum fired over as Liverpool looked for a third... Not like our City or Spurs
performance, maybe a bit boring without stunning actions but we cruised it
professionally. That's really professional I would say.

But need to mention here as an icing on the cake. Best thing tonight also is Rafa's
army done the job and Shelvey bossing it around, you fucking beauty!!!
Hahahah!!!! United Lol!!!  :lmao :lmao :lmao
What a day!!! Deserves a celebration!!!
Shelvey like aa...  :D

It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Offline Advil

• The Pain in Houllier's Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kopite Family
« Reply #413 on: February 12, 2018, 06:20:20 am »
Amazing second goal.  Can see it on repeat multiple times.

Now onto Europe.  Hopefully can get a convincing away win so we can rest a few player in the home match. We will have a match at OT 3 days after the home Porto clash.
None but a noble man treats women in an honorable manner, and none but an ignorant man treats women disgracefully.
-Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #414 on: February 12, 2018, 08:16:52 am »
Boring boring Liverpool. No comeback from the opposition team, solid goalkeeping, ahead from the 6th minute.

Where's the entertainment? Disgusting.

Aye. More where this came from please !  I remember the number of league titles we won with winning games without breaking sweat and with scrappy wins.

Lovely 2 nil win
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Simplexity

• Do we need the xity? (apparently not)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #415 on: February 12, 2018, 08:38:15 am »
Literally cannot remember the last time we won 2-0, very atypical Liverpool game.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #416 on: February 12, 2018, 08:54:05 am »
Literally cannot remember the last time we won 2-0, very atypical Liverpool game.

It was exactly a year before yesterday, against Spurs.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #417 on: February 12, 2018, 08:55:06 am »
At half time, if I was offered the 2nd half of my choice, that's the one I would have chosen.
We've seen Liverpool go on and blitz teams, and to be fair, had we scored a couple of our presentable chances, it would have looked like a blitzing.
But what we really wanted was drama free control. Not giving them a sniff. No risk of blowing a lead then having to beat them again.

We showed signs of this V Spurs, obviously a better side than Southampton, but we defended well against them and a week later we carried on.
I think as the team continue to learn how to manage games better, we'll see more of this type of performance. Having Van Dijk helps us look so much more assured too, he has a calmness and presence, and I'm sure his signing will help this side of our game to evolve further.

I think we'll always be explosive and able to blow teams away, but next year I expect to see us gain more "routine" 1 and 2 goal wins. Games which since the Rafa days we have made difficult for ourselves.

Hope those off to Porto have a great time. Lucky bastards  ;)

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #418 on: February 12, 2018, 08:56:47 am »
Sloppy for long periods & couldn't keep hold of the ball too,despite that..strangely,we were in control.
Karius had his best & most assured outing,fuck this rotation lark for 'keepers..if he is playing into form,he needs to stay between the sticks vs Porto.
VVD looks to be that defender we have yearned for since Sami left..looks to have it all,dominant..composed..Alan Hansen would have a field day with his cliche's.
Mane's doing his utmost & he wil get there no doubt,not thro lack of trying again..keep going lad!
Gini was unspectacular but effective.
Mo..fucking hell what a player,danger personified..come to expect something special every time he gets the ball now.
Lastly Bobby,we knew he had tge work rate when he came here & he certainly shows that..that reverse scoop flick was magical in his assist for Mo's goal..brilliant & motm too.
We won at a canter yesterday in the sense we didn't get out of 2nd gear,no full press needed & a lot of energy saved for Porto.
Up the Reds!!
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Red Bird

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #419 on: February 12, 2018, 09:01:16 am »
More of the same, please.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #420 on: February 12, 2018, 09:30:25 am »
YAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Tactical review ^

Our quality players showed why they were better on the day. Not all the time, but when it mattered...and excellent game management in 2nd half.

More of that please
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #421 on: February 12, 2018, 09:42:52 am »
You hit the nail on the head there as defensively I think we are pretty much set as have 7 or 8 players all vying for the start in the backline so cover everywhere virtually but add a DM to the mix as well then you have the defensive cover in midfield we badly lack in certain games / moments in games where we panic. Also while Karius had a very solid game today I still think we need a leader btw the posts too as its probably the most important position on the pitch. Karius could light the world on fire and become that leader but will not happen overnight and no way should we go into next season without adding a beast to fight for the #1 spot with Karius.

Imagine if we could get a real first pick keeper (Karius or someone else of the right quality) and that defensive midfielder this summer... We'd have all the players we need for a very good spine. VVD looks to be the real deal and if he is, that will mean a lot to us and our chances.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #422 on: February 12, 2018, 09:55:36 am »
At 0-2 wth 15 mins to go I would have taken that scoreline over 1-3 or 1-4 etc

That clean-sheet gets a monkey off VVD's back (not that he seems arsed but you never know) and breeds defensive confidence 3 days before a tricky Euro away against a team with more firepower in Vincent Aboubakar then the whole Southampton front line put together.

Fair play to Jürgen making that first sub which anyone who'd ever watched a game of football should agree with.  Milner did more in 5 minutes than Ox did in his hour or whatever.

Not having a major pop at Ox, it just wasn't his best of days and was rightly hooked.

Who got MOTM on Sky?

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #423 on: February 12, 2018, 09:56:27 am »
At 0-2 wth 15 mins to go I would have taken that scoreline over 1-3 or 1-4 etc

Than clean-sheet get a monkey off VVD's back (not that he seems arsed but you never know) and breeds defensive confidence 3 days before a tricky Euro away against a team with more firepower in Vincent Aboubakar then the whole Southampton front line put together.

Fair play to Jürgen making that first sub which anyone who'd ever watched a game of football should agree with.  Milner did more in 5 minutes than Ox did in his hour or whatever.

Not having a major pop at Ox, it just wasn't his best of days and was rightly hooked.

Who got MOTM on Sky?

Mo
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline pathetic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #424 on: February 12, 2018, 10:01:03 am »
Interesting to see that Gini is not getting many mentions, yet he was superb today.

That's because you won't find many people agreeing with you (me included). I thought our midfield was abysmal. Absolutely no control and we let a dire Southampton team control and dictate the game.

The chance we had at the end were he left the ball for Mane instead of trying to score himself epitomises what an absolute gutless player he really is.

Offline daggerdoo

• Kopite
« Reply #425 on: February 12, 2018, 10:03:13 am »
Had a strong feeling it was gonna be 0-2 and that's what i predicted. Didn't realise it had been so long since our last 0-2/2-0. Not predicting a scoreline for Porto, but i think we'll score more than one.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #426 on: February 12, 2018, 10:05:55 am »
That's because you won't find many people agreeing with you (me included). I thought our midfield was abysmal. Absolutely no control and we let a dire Southampton team control and dictate the game.

The chance we had at the end were he left the ball for Mane instead of trying to score himself epitomises what an absolute gutless player he really is.

:-\
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #427 on: February 12, 2018, 10:10:04 am »

We won at a canter,we didn't need to boss it & apart from a couple of decent saves from Karius we were in control.
One eye was defo on midweek & there wasn't  any need for a full throttle press.
Perspective & a bit of foresight wouldn't go amiss.
Bashing players after winning 2-0.   ::)
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #428 on: February 12, 2018, 10:36:00 am »
Comfortable as you’d like, excellent stuff. I’ve criticised Wijnaldum and Karius a lot this season, but credit where it’s due they were both really good yesterday.

Offline mkingdon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #429 on: February 12, 2018, 10:38:28 am »
This sort of result have been rattled off by the likes of United and Chelsea (in their pomp) for years. Why are folks still moaning?

We have a huge CL game midweek, it was a game we needed to win with Spurs getting three points and we did the ultimate professional job in an away game at a side fighting relegation.

Two good goals, a clean sheet and barely a sweat broken.

Firmino and Mo were outstanding, VVD imperious and Karius had his best game for us.

Matip continues to look weak and unconvincing though.

All in all a calm, measured away win which we need a lot more of in the run in.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #430 on: February 12, 2018, 10:39:11 am »
Imagine if we could get a real first pick keeper (Karius or someone else of the right quality) and that defensive midfielder this summer... We'd have all the players we need for a very good spine. VVD looks to be the real deal and if he is, that will mean a lot to us and our chances.

Integral to every team is a spine that you basically rely on week in, week out where certain players will rarely get rotated or rested. We have Salah, Firmino, (had Coutinho but now will be Keita), Henderson, VVD and Karius. That is our current spine penciled in for 2018/19 and its up to Klopp to add a couple of more to enhance it so we can close the gap on City. As you said a DM plus a goalie perhaps would gel the spine even more securely together as yesterday we got a glimpse of how good the attack and defence can be when cruising in 2nd gear. No point harping on about the midfield too much even though there is a couple of lads there who need to be impressing on days like yesterday as they are not guaranteed starts in the BIG games. A nice run out before the Porto game, no injuries and a wee jab to our confidence.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #431 on: February 12, 2018, 10:41:17 am »

It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #432 on: February 12, 2018, 10:59:54 am »

Pathetic pathetic

Offline redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
« Reply #433 on: February 12, 2018, 11:04:54 am »
Oh and I know of our record with this kit, but I hate it. If it was just orange I'd except that, but its day glow orange. Not good.  ;D

What you talkin about Willis ! 😉

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. As you say a winning record in this spectacular kit!

Debut in Slovakia. Maribor 0 Liverpool 7.  Our biggest away win ever in Europe over 60 years.

West Ham 1 Liverpool 4
Stoke City 0 Liverpool 3
Arsenal    3 Liverpool 3
Soton.     0 Liverpool 2

But for a mad 6 minutes we would be 100% win. Early first goals as well.

Can't wait for our next outing in it. OT?

We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Offline dogeibbor

• Anny Roader
  • He wants to come
« Reply #434 on: February 12, 2018, 11:06:46 am »
We put in a bid for Lemina yet?  ;D

I think soton totally lost their pressure on us when he had to go off. Haven't seen him before, but they looked so much weaker without him.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #435 on: February 12, 2018, 11:09:46 am »

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #436 on: February 12, 2018, 11:18:39 am »
Lovely stuff that really. Just what you want before a huge midweek game. No nightmare clangers, no stress, some very well taken goals, a clean sheet, and no injuries. Perfect. Nice to be relegated to the back end of MoTD2. I know there was only 3 games to choose from, but still. All in all, a good solid response to the farce of last week, which will burn a hole in my eyes every time I look at the table till the end of the season (if they weren't burnt already).

So often, before a big European tie, attention can wander and maybe things aren't as sharp or incisive as they may be otherwise, but when required, we stayed switched on for the most part. Wasn't a bullish destruction, or an easy stroll, but the quality we have up top made the difference. Good to see Karius come off his line to make that block in the first half - after that lovely opener, we sort of disappeared, which is when you don't want your keeper to do the same, so that was encouraging.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. As you say a winning record in this spectacular kit!

I love this kit too. Always like to see us in it for some reason. Could be the results, but just think we look good in all orange. I'd be quite happy to see us ditch the red altogether. The Mighty Marigolds - has a kuriously good ring about it.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #437 on: February 12, 2018, 11:45:06 am »

There was a 15-20 min spell in the 1st half where the game was end to end. You could argue that we didn't control the game well enough in that period.

In the 2nd half we literally controlled the pace of the game and snuffed out any threat Southampton had.With more clinical finishing the 2nd half was  epitome of what you want from an away performance in the Premier League. Very similar to the Huddersfield away game in that regard.

I really don't get where you are coming from in the above. Do you expect us to smash everyone 5 or 6-0 every week? If not, we haven't played well? Those type of performance are what makes title winners in 99% of leagues. I get the impression that too many people have been brought up on Barcelona circa 2008-2014 and think that's the way most team win a league. {probably doesn't help that this season City are playing in a similar vein.

In terms of Wijnaldum, I agree on the chance that he dummied. He should have hit it. I can see where the frustration comes from with regards to Gini. He can go 'missing'. He can be peripheral on occasions. Yesterday wasn't one of them. He played reasonably well. 7 out of 10 type of performance. If you go away from home  in the Premier League to the bottom half of the table team and everyone throws in a 7 out of 10 performance then you'll win the majority of the time. You don't need to be brilliant 100% of the time, in every match to be a good player or team.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #438 on: February 12, 2018, 11:47:32 am »
16 shots in total we had. Southampton had 6.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #439 on: February 12, 2018, 11:48:49 am »
On another day we would have scored 5, we had that many quality chances despire not being at our best