Author Topic: The Klopp Template  (Read 1091265 times)

Online dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Klopp Template - How many decades will it last?
« Reply #3440 on: August 27, 2019, 08:21:48 am »
Sorry if this has already been discussed.

What is this bullshit story that Sky are trying to twist and push about Klopp wanting to leave after his current contract expires?

Like all things good that happen to Liverpool, the media suddenly start to try and rock the boat to try and knock us back down again.

Can anyone elaborate?

non story really

he was interviewed last week or so as part of receiving German sports coach of the year and hinted at calling it a day at the end of his deal. it was more "dont be surprised if...."

He's never left a contract so there is no story to interrupt our flow for three years at least.

Its as you described...media trying to generate a story to rock the boat

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #3441 on: August 27, 2019, 10:55:57 am »
https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?board=2.0
What is this bullshit story that Sky are trying to twist and push about Klopp wanting to leave after his current contract expires?

Klopp told German sports magazine Kicker: “[Taking time off after Liverpool] It looks like it. Who can now say if I can give it my all in three years’ time? If I decide for myself that I can’t go on any more, I’ll take a break and in that year I’d have to make a definite decision [over my career]."

Sky are shit-stirring holidays now

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #3442 on: August 27, 2019, 11:53:27 am »

Like all things good that happen to Liverpool, the media suddenly start to try and rock the boat to try and knock us back down again.

Can anyone elaborate?

He didn't say at the end of this contract, he said that after he leaves Liverpool he'll take a break.

It's funny how the English media have picked up on this now, cos this isn't a new thing he's suddenly thought of - he's said this before. In fact he said it in an interview last year that when he leaves Liverpool he will take a year out, as he promised his wife and family, and he won't go back on that promise.

I know for sure I've posted that very story here ages ago.  So this has been on the cards since the day he signined for Liverpool.

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3443 on: August 27, 2019, 05:05:05 pm »
So today's Echo big splash is Klopp hinting at leaving LFC in 2022 and Gerrard taking over.   I hope Klopp stays longer but I think he feels burn't out.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3444 on: August 27, 2019, 07:16:32 pm »
So today's Echo big splash is Klopp hinting at leaving LFC in 2022 and Gerrard taking over.   I hope Klopp stays longer but I think he feels burn't out.

The Echo is unbelieavable, utter trash.
Not only hawking the clickbait about Kloppo - which they will be loving, but touting Gerrard, come on now. Pathetic. Don't even give them the time.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3445 on: August 27, 2019, 07:31:27 pm »
He didn't say at the end of this contract, he said that after he leaves Liverpool he'll take a break.

It's funny how the English media have picked up on this now, cos this isn't a new thing he's suddenly thought of - he's said this before. In fact he said it in an interview last year that when he leaves Liverpool he will take a year out, as he promised his wife and family, and he won't go back on that promise.

I know for sure I've posted that very story here ages ago.  So this has been on the cards since the day he signined for Liverpool.

Yep old news. Sky and the rest don't like the fact that we are on 9 out of 9pts already, battered Arsenal and their little darlings are already 5 pts behind us and look as shit as they have ever done.

The only thing that matters is that the club make plans in case he does decide to leave at the end of his deal.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Red-Dread

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #3446 on: August 27, 2019, 07:37:42 pm »
Jurgen can have his year off, no worries at all...

...as long as he comes back for another seven straight afterwards
first ever avatar..... ben(d)oak

Online lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3447 on: August 27, 2019, 10:34:32 pm »
A week is a long time in football. He's here for three season at the very least.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #3448 on: August 28, 2019, 01:36:35 am »

With no more transfer talk it has really been a slow news week (Issues with Bury/Bolton notwithstanding) so they've just jumped on this. They should re-read the rumour - Klopp might leave in 2022! The way it's been written it's as if he might leave next year! Not sure if anyone else in the prem has a contract that takes them past 2022 but it is 2 full seasons after this one.

We could be on 22 titles and 9 European Cups by then. I'll enjoy whatever Klopp has left to give us and take our chances with whatever comes next!
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline demain

• Shambolic
  • Kopite
  • 'à quoi bon ?'
« Reply #3449 on: August 28, 2019, 02:20:54 am »
With no more transfer talk it has really been a slow news week (Issues with Bury/Bolton notwithstanding) so they've just jumped on this. They should re-read the rumour - Klopp might leave in 2022! The way it's been written it's as if he might leave next year! Not sure if anyone else in the prem has a contract that takes them past 2022 but it is 2 full seasons after this one.

We could be on 22 titles and 9 European Cups by then. I'll enjoy whatever Klopp has left to give us and take our chances with whatever comes next!

When does Moyes' contract at Manchester United expire ?
'Ever bought a fake picture, Toby?'
'Sold a couple once.'
'The more you pay for it, the less inclined you are to doubt its authenticity.'

Offline SteveZissou

• "Anyone who knows the game..." exactly what game is a mystery. Underwater Bell. The Life A-Twat-Ic. Thinks "irony" means "like metal". Shite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • you might be on B Squad, but ur the B squad leader
« Reply #3450 on: August 28, 2019, 02:03:17 pm »
The best way to deal with the Klopp situation (I know, I've said this before):

Give him a year rest AND give him a contract extension to come back in a year.
I don't really care who comes in for a year, and I don't care if we finish 10th that season, as long as Klopp returns to get everything quickly back on track.
I know many on here don't want to discuss what's going to happen 3 years down the line, and you don't have to respond. There's no reason to panic in any way, and the club has to give a relaxed stance so that the players and all concerned can chill and have confidence in the future.

One of the many additional reasons it's important is that we want key foreign players to stay at the club and we don't want a transition period... in these times it can take 3 to 5 years to get back on track with a new manager. That is a relatively ok estimation. In some cases, certain clubs can take 10 to 20 years to fix issues caused by the wrong appointment.

Like I said I don't care who comes in temporarily. Makes sense for the assistant to temporarily take charge for a year, but if Gerrard or Carra wants to come in then I don't have any issues with that. Yes, dudes, I give you my official permission, so it's okay. The club just needs to keep Diouf away from them, and things will be ok.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 02:05:40 pm by SteveZissou »
Following Liverpool since the mid 80s.

Offline L.Suarez

• Kopite
  • When there snow hope, support.
« Reply #3451 on: August 28, 2019, 02:35:10 pm »

I don't really care who comes in for a year, and I don't care if we finish 10th that season, as long as Klopp returns to get everything quickly back on track.
I know many on here don't want to discuss what's going to happen 3 years down the line, and you don't have to respond. There's no reason to panic in any way, and the club has to give a relaxed stance so that the players and all concerned can chill and have confidence in the future.

One of the many additional reasons it's important is that we want key foreign players to stay at the club and we don't want a transition period... in these times it can take 3 to 5 years to get back on track with a new manager. That is a relatively ok estimation. In some cases, certain clubs can take 10 to 20 years to fix issues caused by the wrong appointment.

Like I said I don't care who comes in temporarily. Makes sense for the assistant to temporarily take charge for a year, but if Gerrard or Carra wants to come in then I don't have any issues with that. Yes, dudes, I give you my official permission, so it's okay. The club just needs to keep Diouf away from them, and things will be ok.

Klopp is not the kind of person to rest peacefully and not get involved knowing he's due to come back the next year. If he's taking a break that means he's not coming back soon or at all.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3452 on: August 28, 2019, 03:15:14 pm »

He won't come back. When he leaves, he leaves, he'll go home. It's a mad idea (no offense), when he leaves LFC, the club have to move on.  He has no ties to the area either, so once he's done working here, he and his missus will leave and go back to Germany.

I'd not be surprised if this is the last club job he does anyway. So when he decides he needs a break, that is it.

Offline Talking Reds

• Main Stander
« Reply #3453 on: August 28, 2019, 11:57:24 pm »

How do you tell the players, with their short careers and limitless ambition, we're just taking a year off without a proper manager because Klopp wants a break?

Offline PhiLFC#1

• The Messiah! He rawks amongst us
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3454 on: August 29, 2019, 11:23:54 am »
How do you tell the players, with their short careers and limitless ambition, we're just taking a year off without a proper manager because Klopp wants a break?

Obviously it wouldn't be spun that way

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #3455 on: August 29, 2019, 12:32:20 pm »
Obviously it wouldn't be spun that way

By a player's agent, it certainly would...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline trav2591

• Main Stander
  • YNWA
« Reply #3456 on: August 29, 2019, 02:09:45 pm »
Could see him leaving after his current deal and taking a few years off before being appointed the manager of the German NT.

Would kind of complete his arc.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #3457 on: August 29, 2019, 10:34:11 pm »

I said this earlier in the thread as well.

But to be honest, it has never been done before and it's not really something Liverpool could do. Once he moves on, we have to move on and get a proper replacement in. You cannot say - even behind the scenes - that we take a "holding year" with a caretaker manager of some sort, to keep the club warm while Klopp is off. A club like ours can't do that, or spin it in any way.

No I think Klopp is all in, until the end of his contract and then gone - and that MIGHT be 2022.

If it is he'll get the maximum out of Salah, Firmino and Mane, VVD etc, then we'll be set for a new face...

Means we should live in the moment, buy him any player he wants in Summer 2020 and enjoy the present days.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3458 on: August 29, 2019, 11:15:59 pm »
Klopp is great but Liverpool doesn't need to be so insecure and clingy that they can't let go. Many more great managers will follow.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #3459 on: August 29, 2019, 11:27:25 pm »
I said this earlier in the thread as well.

But to be honest, it has never been done before and it's not really something Liverpool could do. Once he moves on, we have to move on and get a proper replacement in. You cannot say - even behind the scenes - that we take a "holding year" with a caretaker manager of some sort, to keep the club warm while Klopp is off. A club like ours can't do that, or spin it in any way.

No I think Klopp is all in, until the end of his contract and then gone - and that MIGHT be 2022.

If it is he'll get the maximum out of Salah, Firmino and Mane, VVD etc, then we'll be set for a new face...

Means we should live in the moment, buy him any player he wants in Summer 2020 and enjoy the present days.

One concern I would have is bringing in players when they don't have the certainty that they'd be playing for Klopp in one or two years time. I think that would definitely affect our transfer strategy as his contract approaches its end (whether that's in 2022 or later).

What that means is we really only have one summer transfer window (next year) - possibly two (in the second they'd only have the confidence he'd be around for one more year) where we can count on Klopp as a pull for new faces. We are going to have to factor that into our succession planning.

That is the number one reason I was disappointed we didn't do more in the market this summer. Getting one or two more additions in would have taken a lot of the pressure off next summer, particularly if we don't end up winning the league. The number of years a group (not just Klopp) has together is only so many.

Klopp is great but Liverpool doesn't need to be so insecure and clingy that they can't let go. Many more great managers will follow.

On one level this is true - we do need to know when to let go, and we will have great managers in the future.

But between Kenny's first stint and Rafa, we had three managers of varying levels of quality, and again between Rafa and Klopp. In that whole period we won the league zero times and the CL zero times. There were more bad times than bad.

The point is, the good times are not here to stay just because we're enjoying them now. We have to plan effectively to ensure that the good times do continue past this current era, and this is the very beginning of that.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 11:33:25 pm by Redcap »

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3460 on: August 30, 2019, 12:00:44 am »

On one level this is true - we do need to know when to let go, and we will have great managers in the future.

But between Kenny's first stint and Rafa, we had three managers of varying levels of quality, and again between Rafa and Klopp. In that whole period we won the league zero times and the CL zero times. There were more bad times than bad.

The point is, the good times are not here to stay just because we're enjoying them now. We have to plan effectively to ensure that the good times do continue past this current era, and this is the very beginning of that.

Oh I don't mean to suggest that there shouldn't be a plan. But the plan  can't be giving Klopp a year off and pining for him to return, it should be a clean break with a process in place to replace him definitively (which admittedly is very hard to do, but that's what the upper management are there for).

---Rilke

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3461 on: August 30, 2019, 10:39:26 am »
A new Tifo Football video.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/vw_8zTxr1qs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/vw_8zTxr1qs</a>
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Sharado

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3462 on: August 30, 2019, 10:46:29 am »

The malaise we found ourselves in post Rafa and pre Klopp [one league cup in all that time, between 3 different managers] suggest otherwise. Truly great managers are incredibly rare. I hope he stays beyond 2022 like you can't believe.
Football, like life, isn't about getting what you want or even deserve. It's about appreciating what you have.

Offline free_at_last

• Legacy Fan
  • we all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3463 on: August 30, 2019, 10:58:50 am »
He did do the diplomatic thing at Dortmund saying he just wanted a year out..but did he want other challenges?
I hang on his every word when he mentions LFC as a special club with special history.
Hopefully he'll be so in love with Liverpool(not hard to do) by the time 2022 comes along that he'll want to build a dynasty and stay on.
Mind you...fans are fickle...if we have a bad season some will forget everything and want him gone...a la Rafa.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3464 on: August 30, 2019, 11:17:05 am »
He did do the diplomatic thing at Dortmund saying he just wanted a year out..but did he want other challenges?
I hang on his every word when he mentions LFC as a special club with special history.
Hopefully he'll be so in love with Liverpool(not hard to do) by the time 2022 comes along that he'll want to build a dynasty and stay on.
Mind you...fans are fickle...if we have a bad season some will forget everything and want him gone...a la Rafa.

He's always been kinda open about coaching the national side someday. But it's hard to see what other coaching challenges he'd want.

He has fallen hard for the 3 clubs he's coached, he said after Mainz he'd not get so emotionally invested cos it was painful to leave, but same thing happened at Dortmund and now at Liverpool, it is just who he is.

His love for LFC wouldn't have much baring on how long he stays. It'll be about how he feels and what his family want before anything.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #3465 on: August 30, 2019, 12:35:03 pm »

His love for LFC wouldn't have much baring

He'll wear Ronaldo knickers when announcing he's leaving?
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline GoldenGloves25

• Kopite
  • You are a reptile, Carmichael!!
« Reply #3466 on: August 30, 2019, 12:38:43 pm »
Not sure if this has been posted before, but its a nice insight into the personal and influential factors Klopp has on his associates and teams. Great listening.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/inside-the-liverpool-culture-of-jurgen-klopp/id1190000968?i=1000447601671
A slave to rhythm and the fickle nature of charm.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3467 on: August 30, 2019, 10:20:14 pm »
The malaise we found ourselves in post Rafa and pre Klopp [one league cup in all that time, between 3 different managers] suggest otherwise. Truly great managers are incredibly rare. I hope he stays beyond 2022 like you can't believe.

I don't know, I feel like wanting more than Rafa and Klopp within a decade of each other is getting a little greedy. Not many clubs (with budgeting limits) have better strike rates. I do of course hope that we don't have to go through another Hodgson, but I'd be happy to have another memorable season with a Rodgers again. In any case, my point was that Liverpool is bigger than Klopp and will remain so even when he is a cherished memory.
---Rilke

Offline SteveZissou

• "Anyone who knows the game..." exactly what game is a mystery. Underwater Bell. The Life A-Twat-Ic. Thinks "irony" means "like metal". Shite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • you might be on B Squad, but ur the B squad leader
« Reply #3468 on: August 30, 2019, 11:09:16 pm »
Well, I read what you guys responded with now regarding the idea of a Klopp taking a 1 year break and returning. Well, you all think that's impossible. I think you're right.

And on the same note, my wife isn't getting younger so i'm going to take a break from her. And by that i dont mean i could return in a month or week, it means move to another country, see some 18 year old fine art students on campus and get back what I've been missing during these days of just slogging it out 9 to 5 at my work and all these house responsibilities. It's time for a real break for me too.

Okay, it's either that or I'm going to live out my other ambition - which is to become a monk in Bhutan.
Following Liverpool since the mid 80s.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #3469 on: August 31, 2019, 07:29:10 pm »
Benefits of having a same group of players together for a while was quite visible today.

Every single player knows their own job inside and out. Familiarity shows , misunderstandings are reduced to minimum these days. Buying for buying sake makes no sense especially when you almost don't have a bad spot in your first XI.

Online kasperoff

• Legacy Fan
  • What happened to Sabu?
« Reply #3470 on: August 31, 2019, 10:22:35 pm »
How badly have we handled PR in the the past? There was a potential story in the game today with Mane's reaction when he was subbed-off and Klopp put it to bed with 3 sentences in his post match interview.

The man is a football genius. This has been evident for a good while, but he is more than that. He's savvy, intellectual, forward-thinking. Talk about seeing the bigger picture! He knew what that episode may have been interpreted as and he resolved the whole thing in front of the cameras straight after the match. How many times would you hear "don't want to talk about that", or "It's a private matter", only for the media to fill in the blanks and create a mountain out of a molehill? Klopp gave them some honesty and defused the whole thing.

It's unfortunate, but staying on side with the media is essential in football today and Klopp is an absolute darling. He's got them eating out of the palm of his hand.

We've had a history of shooting ourselves in the foot when it comes to media engagement in the past. It's so good so see us deal with them so well in the last few years.

Kudos to Klopp our owners and leadership!
I think the same, can't stand him, but if you could have a £1million pound cheque or steve bruces head hollowed out and filled with pound coins which would you have?

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3471 on: August 31, 2019, 11:01:43 pm »
How badly have we handled PR in the the past? There was a potential story in the game today with Mane's reaction when he was subbed-off and Klopp put it to bed with 3 sentences in his post match interview.

The man is a football genius. This has been evident for a good while, but he is more than that. He's savvy, intellectual, forward-thinking. Talk about seeing the bigger picture! He knew what that episode may have been interpreted as and he resolved the whole thing in front of the cameras straight after the match. How many times would you hear "don't want to talk about that", or "It's a private matter", only for the media to fill in the blanks and create a mountain out of a molehill? Klopp gave them some honesty and defused the whole thing.

It's unfortunate, but staying on side with the media is essential in football today and Klopp is an absolute darling. He's got them eating out of the palm of his hand.

We've had a history of shooting ourselves in the foot when it comes to media engagement in the past. It's so good so see us deal with them so well in the last few years.

Kudos to Klopp our owners and leadership!

Great point, & agree with every word there.

Offline penga

• What you get if you cross Pingu with Jenga.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3472 on: September 1, 2019, 02:44:25 pm »
Being hypercritical here, the fluidity in our play is not as good as Abu Dhabi FC partly because our midfield is not as creative both in passing and dribbling and partly because the front 3 doesn't link as well as it could with each other (particularly Mane and Salah) even though it already seems at a very high level and it comes down to decision making because we know they have the skill. We've sort of being forcing our goals in with our counter-pressing, deep crosses and set pieces a lot whereas Abu Dhabi FC create more goals with their build up play and intricate movement and passes around the box with a sense of inevitability. As good as the chemistry between the front 3 already is, I believe it can be better. MSN when that was around was a good example even though Neymar started off more as an individual showman, the decision making between the front 3 was probably as good as it could get with their interplay and setting each other up. The numbers of goals/assists for all of them showed it but to be fair they individually had a higher technical level.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #3473 on: September 1, 2019, 03:45:36 pm »
As of the weekend, Jurgen has reached a 57.5% win rate as Liverpool manager. The only manager to have surpassed that at the club is Kenny, on 59.1%, combining the two reigns. Now let me be the first to admit that I am crap at maths, and the last person to disrespect our great leaders, but I suspect this is the year he becomes the greatest manager of Liverpool we have ever had, statistically. Of course it says nothing about his improvement rate, which is off the charts year on year.
« Last Edit: September 1, 2019, 03:55:54 pm by markedasred »
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3474 on: September 1, 2019, 04:34:00 pm »
Already got 13 straight wins in the league and counting. A club record. 

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #3475 on: September 1, 2019, 04:37:27 pm »
Klopp will do what he wants to do ultimately, he is a great person and a sensible thinker about football/life and career.

It's a philosophical question for the owners, do you move heaven and earth and try and get him to sign a new, longer contract or accept that what he has built will have to be built on again - Bob Paisley style - after 2022.

LFC has a fantastic platform to build on now, and well into the future so we should, perhaps, not worry, but enjoy it!
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #3476 on: September 1, 2019, 05:07:09 pm »
More tactical analysis, less worry over what we already knew!  :D

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #3477 on: September 2, 2019, 06:48:25 pm »
We've sort of being forcing our goals in with our counter-pressing, deep crosses and set pieces a lot whereas Abu Dhabi FC create more goals with their build up play and intricate movement and passes around the box with a sense of inevitability.

Much like our "pace goals", the goals we are forcing through counter-pressing count just as much as any other, doesn't matter if you think City's have more of a sense of inevitability about them.

Even if we ever beat City to the league, I'll bet we won't quite look as much as if it was a Playstation game during our campaign. What they're doing requires oil state money, it isn't natural.

« Last Edit: September 3, 2019, 07:09:49 am by Bjornar »

Offline penga

• What you get if you cross Pingu with Jenga.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3478 on: September 3, 2019, 07:55:31 am »
Much like our "pace goals", the goals we are forcing through counter-pressing count just as much as any other, doesn't matter if you think City's have more of a sense of inevitability about them.

Even if we ever beat City to the league, I'll bet we won't quite look as much as if it was a Playstation game during our campaign. What they're up to requires an oil state, it isn't natural.
There's no problem with forcing in the goals and they all count, just highlighting possible areas where we can still improve to score more. It's clear Abu Dhabi have more potential to score goals than us as they scored 106 and 95 in the last 2 seasons whereas we scored 84 and 89 and in both seasons they had higher XG at around +15. People might point to us having a better defence but we only beat them there by 1 goal last season and still had worse XG against.

Every area we can look towards to improve brings us closer just like the throw-ins coach we hired last season clearly helped our player's technique and our play around throw-ins. 

Strengths/Weaknesses vs City:
+ Set piece and 2nd phase goals
+ Creativity from fullbacks
= Goals from pressing
- Goals from midfield
- Creativity from midfield
- Attacking depth

People will say our midfield does more work to cover our back 4 which also allows our fullbacks to go forward more which is true but at the end of the day City still create more in attack and their system still limits chances against them better than ours even if we have better defensive personnel. So what are the possible solutions for us to score more goals?

- Tactically playing higher line and having our midfielders making more forward runs - which has apparently been happening this season but leads to increased risk at the back.
- Hendo/Gini to improve their attacking output? So far this season not much evidence that this will happen.
- Ox/Keita/Lallana force their way into the team regularly (looking a bit unlikely at this stage as Hendo/Gini are locked in) to bridge the gap to the likes of KDB/Silvas/Gundogan.
- Front 3 improving their interplay to create even more chances (just my opinion they don't seem as fluid as the could be despite their already high output)
- Playing 4-2-3-1 to fit an extra attacking player in the system like we did last season when we struggled a bit with the 4-3-3 and gave Shaqiri more of a run (unlikely atm as it might disrupt our 4-3-3 system which is currently working well again)
- More goals from defenders: Matip and VVD have improved a bit with their attackers headers. Still yet to see goals from Trent and Robbo getting forward.

Solutions for future seasons:
- New personnel in attack e.g. Sancho to allow us to rotate the front 3 more effectively/cover for injury/stronger bench or to be able to play 4-2-3-1 more effectively with 4 high class attackers.
- New personnel in midfield that provide significantly more in attack/creativity but are also good in defence.
- Bonus: new personnel who would actually get game time (unlike Harry Wilson) and is better at direct free kicks than Trent.

So realistically do people think our front 3 can improve their decision making, passing, interplay and runs or do you think they have reached their peak? Because there might not be that much scope elsewhere to improve to score more goals this season unless we get some serious help from the midfield.
« Last Edit: September 3, 2019, 07:58:32 am by penga »

Offline Carra-ton

• Carrington, who plays there! derrr!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3479 on: September 3, 2019, 11:57:55 am »
Really need a good song for Klopp. I don't like the idea that in three more years his era might end, and there might not be a single worthy song sung about him from LFC supporters.
Hats off to Bill on his throne,
He set the club's standards in stone.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!