Author Topic: Naby Keita Watch  (Read 1897079 times)

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Re: Naby Keita Watch
« Reply #10360 on: May 11, 2021, 12:38:15 am »
If shankly was in charge this guy would have been binned 2 years ago

So after a season where he played a part (and yes, not as big as we wanted, but still a part) in Liverpool putting up one hell of a league season and then winning the European Cup, you think Bill Shankly would have sold him 2 seasons into his career here.

I think you wrote that to get some bites, but didn’t actually think it through. And really, crass to even bring Shanks name into it for the sake of having a dig.

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #10361 on: May 11, 2021, 12:47:17 am »
He has 24 months on his contract come June.  I'd be floored if he got extended but then again Phil Jones just got another extension so who knows.  I'd guess a loan where we pay his wages but he plays in the hope it gets a price we want with only 12 months left or he just rots on the bench as he's certainly seems out in the cold but that goes for a lot of players these days.....

Offline aw1991

• Legacy Fan
  • Love Firmino, hate bastards
« Reply #10362 on: May 11, 2021, 01:55:33 am »
Doubt it, but either way, we are currently managed by Jurgen Klopp, and up to now I didn't hear too many complaints so let's not contemplate what Shanks would have done and trust what Klopp is doing.

Offline blago

• Main Stander
  • Oh when the reds...........
« Reply #10363 on: May 11, 2021, 08:41:59 am »
If he could stay fit, he would really add a lot to our midfield and attack. Sadly it looks like one of his injuries has ruined him. Either that or he has become very injury prone. I really like his style of play but we can't assume he is suddenly going to stop getting injuries based on what we have seen so far. I'd sell if there is a decent offer of say £30m plus.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10364 on: May 11, 2021, 09:22:10 am »
I've said it before, but being a big fish for a national side is a significant extra risk for a club investing big money on a player. Especially a side that plays AFCON which is sometimes in the middle of a European season.

National managers are usually trying to build/maintain their own reputations and when the player in question is at national icon status there's also lots of politics around availability and selection.

It's bad enough the players that England have injured for us without Guinea picking and playing him when unfit.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10365 on: May 11, 2021, 09:36:41 am »

Can you confirm this?

Offline seenitall

• Main Stander
  • Liverpool FC has the most knowledgeable supporters
« Reply #10366 on: May 11, 2021, 09:53:47 am »

For someone who probably never saw Liverpool play under Shankly that’s a pretty bold statement,
especially as Shankly took too long to break up his great 60s team when a number of the players were way past their best.

Offline johnj147

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10367 on: May 11, 2021, 10:55:28 am »
For someone who probably never saw Liverpool play under Shankly that’s a pretty bold statement,
especially as Shankly took too long to break up his great 60s team when a number of the players were way past their best.
.nope slightly before my time ..but seen plenty footage and many story's of shankly. He didn't take any pussy footing around...

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10368 on: May 11, 2021, 12:11:33 pm »

Shanks couldn't abide injured players, whoever they were or whatever they'd done for him in the past. They were absolutely no use to him, to the extent he shunned them when they were on the treatment table. Sent the injury prone Jack Whitham away to train on his own, lest he 'contaminated' the rest of the team.

Given that, it's fair to say Shank's patience would have been sorely tested by Keita.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #10369 on: May 11, 2021, 12:15:37 pm »
Shanks couldn't abide injured players, whoever they were or whatever they'd done for him in the past. They were absolutely no use to him, to the extent he shunned them when they were on the treatment table. Sent the injury prone Jack Whitham away to train on his own, lest he 'contaminated' the rest of the team.

Given that, it's fair to say Shank's patience would have been sorely tested by Keita.

If we had any sense as a club we should fine Keita three and sixpence and two shillings for every game he misses, maybe send him down the mines for a week and confiscate his car and insist he cycles to work on his penny farthing
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10370 on: May 11, 2021, 12:22:11 pm »
If we had any sense as a club we should fine Keita three and sixpence and two shillings for every game he misses, maybe send him down the mines for a week and confiscate his car and insist he cycles to work on his penny farthing

Yes, I think that might be worth a try.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10371 on: May 11, 2021, 12:36:53 pm »

Put him on a pay-as-you-play contract.

Offline KMKYWAP

• Kemlynite
« Reply #10372 on: May 11, 2021, 12:39:38 pm »

;D

Oh we used to dream of training in't corridor

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10373 on: May 11, 2021, 12:39:41 pm »

Good idea that, you should discuss it with the club when you're telling them not to sign Konate :)
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10374 on: May 11, 2021, 12:41:36 pm »
Good idea that, you should discuss it with the club when you're telling them not to sign Konate :)

I don't care how good you are if you are constantly injured.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10375 on: May 11, 2021, 12:42:10 pm »

Ok?

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10376 on: May 11, 2021, 12:43:31 pm »

FA's not that good.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10377 on: May 11, 2021, 12:47:09 pm »

He'd earn more working in Aldi so, mind you he'd probably get injured packing the freezers on aisle 5.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10378 on: May 11, 2021, 12:48:23 pm »
He'd earn more working in Aldi so, mind you he'd probably get injured packing the freezers on aisle 5.

There are no freezers on aisle 5.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10379 on: May 11, 2021, 12:52:04 pm »

Thing is he's not that good or certainly hasn't shown it. You could forgive Sturridge so much because of the lads talent but ive yet to see Keita dominate a single game since we've signed him. The club is facing a few tough years with the financial covid situation and we simply can't afford to be carrying passengers on big wages.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10380 on: May 11, 2021, 12:54:31 pm »
Thing is he's not that good or certainly hasn't shown it. You could forgive Sturridge so much because of the lads talent but ive yet to see Keita dominate a single game since we've signed him. The club is facing a few tough years with the financial covid situation and we simply can't afford to be carrying passengers on big wages.

:lmao :lmao :lmao

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10381 on: May 11, 2021, 12:56:15 pm »

Go ahead so, tell me why you think he's so great.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10382 on: May 11, 2021, 12:59:40 pm »

I love Studge as much as anyone but what a ludicrous comparison :D He had about three decent games in his last three seasons here

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10383 on: May 11, 2021, 01:07:31 pm »
I love Studge as much as anyone but what a ludicrous comparison :D He had about three decent games in his last three seasons here

Sturridge was a key part of our exciting 2014 team. He performed in many big games, therefore, he had credit in the bank.

Naby has been here for 3 years and I can't remember him dominating any big game which is why we paid £50m for him. The only top top performance I remember was against Burnley in December 2018.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10384 on: May 11, 2021, 01:12:54 pm »
I’ll take Naby being a bit part on a club that actually won the biggest prizes in football rather than a player who was a key part of an ‘exciting’ team for one season  :P

Studge was great back in that season for sure, but my god, he makes Naby look like the fittest player in the world.

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10385 on: May 11, 2021, 02:08:55 pm »
Sturridge was a key part of our exciting 2014 team. He performed in many big games, therefore, he had credit in the bank.

Naby has been here for 3 years and I can't remember him dominating any big game which is why we paid £50m for him. The only top top performance I remember was against Burnley in December 2018.

He was our best midfielder when returning from the Covid break last year - and in that time racked up 2 goals and 3 assists in a time when the rest of the team basically went on holiday after sealing the title win. 

Or compare that to his performances for RB Leipzig, when he was considered in the best 2 midfielders in the BUundesliga for a season or 2 (yes, alongside Thiago and ahead of the likes of Goreztka, Kimmich,etc) - and that as a 21 year old in a new team in a new country.

So yes, whilst you may say that you haven't seen him play "in a top game and dominate it for us", to me there is plenty of evidence to show that there is a very good player in there from both his team at RBL, and the odd occcasion he has been fit for long enough to player 4-5 games in a row for us

So now the question is probably - do we try and sell him this summer at a loss, or hope that with a proper pre-season he can either improve to the point he is more useful for us, or we can sell him for more next summer.  If we assume we are losing Gini this summer (who has been poorer than Keita these past 18 months IMO), Hendo and Fab have both shown that they are capable of getting niggles here and there, and Thiago has consistently been injury prone for 5+ seasons now (in the previous 6 seasons for Bayern as mostly first choice, he started 23 or more games only in 2 seasons), I can see why people would want us to cash in and go for someone who can walk straight in and strengthen our first 11 whilst remaining fit for longer.

My thought is we have other areas we should look to strengthen this summer (CB, attack with  Salah and Mane missing 6 weeks of next season and Bobby's form disappearing), so keeping him is preferable

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #10386 on: May 11, 2021, 02:42:01 pm »
I’ll take Naby being a bit part on a club that actually won the biggest prizes in football rather than a player who was a key part of an ‘exciting’ team for one season  :P

Studge was great back in that season for sure, but my god, he makes Naby look like the fittest player in the world.

Studge played a bit part role in 18/19 in fairness.

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #10387 on: May 11, 2021, 02:46:42 pm »
I thought absence makes the heart grow fonder?
But looks like the opposite is happening on here wrt Naby lad!
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10388 on: May 11, 2021, 03:42:48 pm »

I think Keita is fantastic, I would pretty much take him being fit and available over another realistic midfield signing we could make.

But I don't think a debate of how good he is or people questioning how good he is should be a surprise. He has been here now 3 years and whilst he has put in some very good performances there isn't really a stand out, obvious game or a run of games he has had. He hasn't really come in and transformed the way we play or turned the game around (or even steadied it).

He has been in games where he has played well when we have played well (you could argue he is a reason we did play well), but we are still waiting for that breakout performance.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10389 on: May 11, 2021, 05:15:40 pm »
He was our best midfielder when returning from the Covid break last year - and in that time racked up 2 goals and 3 assists in a time when the rest of the team basically went on holiday after sealing the title win. 

Or compare that to his performances for RB Leipzig, when he was considered in the best 2 midfielders in the BUundesliga for a season or 2 (yes, alongside Thiago and ahead of the likes of Goreztka, Kimmich,etc) - and that as a 21 year old in a new team in a new country.

So yes, whilst you may say that you haven't seen him play "in a top game and dominate it for us", to me there is plenty of evidence to show that there is a very good player in there from both his team at RBL, and the odd occcasion he has been fit for long enough to player 4-5 games in a row for us

So now the question is probably - do we try and sell him this summer at a loss, or hope that with a proper pre-season he can either improve to the point he is more useful for us, or we can sell him for more next summer.  If we assume we are losing Gini this summer (who has been poorer than Keita these past 18 months IMO), Hendo and Fab have both shown that they are capable of getting niggles here and there, and Thiago has consistently been injury prone for 5+ seasons now (in the previous 6 seasons for Bayern as mostly first choice, he started 23 or more games only in 2 seasons), I can see why people would want us to cash in and go for someone who can walk straight in and strengthen our first 11 whilst remaining fit for longer.

My thought is we have other areas we should look to strengthen this summer (CB, attack with  Salah and Mane missing 6 weeks of next season and Bobby's form disappearing), so keeping him is preferable

He was our best midfielder when the league was already won and, hence, when we were no longer under pressure. Says it all.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10390 on: May 11, 2021, 05:28:26 pm »

;D

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10391 on: May 11, 2021, 06:15:43 pm »
Go ahead so, tell me why you think he's so great.

I take it you’ve never seen him play then?  You probably also think Thiago isn’t good because he doesn’t score or assist.

Offline Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10392 on: May 11, 2021, 09:15:55 pm »

If we add two midfielders in the summer maybe he will be given another chance but if we only bring one midfielder to replace Gini then IMO keeping him will be a huge risk especially if the new midfielder is not as fit as Gini.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10393 on: May 11, 2021, 09:22:10 pm »
Borrowed time definitely. Talent is there, he’s just not applied it with any degree of consistency whether through form or injury.

Expect he’ll be given one final chance until January to step up or else be cut loose with the club taking a hefty loss.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10394 on: May 11, 2021, 09:23:42 pm »
FA's not that good.

But can he play centre back?
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10395 on: May 11, 2021, 10:28:31 pm »

No need to use the great man to criticise one of our players. I suppose if you were at Watford in 1970 you would have been the first to slag him off for not binning St John, Rowdy and Tommy Lawrence two years a go. I think Jurgen knows what he's doing.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10396 on: May 11, 2021, 10:36:48 pm »
No need to use the great man to criticise one of our players. I suppose if you were at Watford in 1970 you would have been the first to slag him off for not binning St John, Rowdy and Tommy Lawrence two years a go. I think Jurgen knows what he's doing.

to criticise Jürgen Klopp more like. It was a crass remark, shameful.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10397 on: May 11, 2021, 11:05:00 pm »
I think Keita is fantastic, I would pretty much take him being fit and available over another realistic midfield signing we could make.

But I don't think a debate of how good he is or people questioning how good he is should be a surprise. He has been here now 3 years and whilst he has put in some very good performances there isn't really a stand out, obvious game or a run of games he has had. He hasn't really come in and transformed the way we play or turned the game around (or even steadied it).

He has been in games where he has played well when we have played well (you could argue he is a reason we did play well), but we are still waiting for that breakout performance.

He’s our third most expensive signing ever, the bar for him is going to be very high but he’s barely a decent squad player because he’s so fragile, if he was a 6/10 but ever present then you could make a case for him but he’s not able to play regularly for us, if we get half his fee back we should take it and move on, he will no doubt dazzle elsewhere but He’s not built for Klopp football

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10398 on: May 17, 2021, 11:42:06 am »
Any official news on Keita. Yes I know water is wet, but havent had an update on his progress since being hauled off vs R Madrid.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10399 on: May 17, 2021, 11:43:56 am »
Any official news on Keita. Yes I know water is wet, but havent had an update on his progress since being hauled off vs R Madrid.

He was on the bench for a few matches after the Madrid game.