Author Topic: Naby Keita Watch  (Read 1904783 times)

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Naby Keita Watch
« Reply #10440 on: May 23, 2021, 10:37:56 am »
I'll bet on less than half.

It's a shame really because he can be a top player, just not on a regular basis. In terms of what we've got out of his signing, and what he cost, I think he's been the worst value for money since Joe Cole.

Carroll.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline jacobs chains

• Legacy Fan
  • The fight will not be attaining dreams.
« Reply #10441 on: May 23, 2021, 10:40:50 am »
Carroll.

Ha, just modified my post to throw Balotelli under the bus. ;D

Carroll cost less, and in my opinion, gave more. But it's marginal at best ;D

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10442 on: May 23, 2021, 10:46:26 am »
Ha, just modified my post to throw Balotelli under the bus. ;D

35m in 2011.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10443 on: May 23, 2021, 10:54:26 am »
35m in 2011.

Still amazed we managed to get half that back.

Carroll actually scored the winner against the BS in the semis of the FA Cup.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10444 on: May 23, 2021, 11:02:48 am »

It's a shame really because he can be a top player, just not on a regular basis.

50% of the posts in this thread are updates to Keita suffering another injury, and 50% are posts exactly like this one.

Offline jacobs chains

• Legacy Fan
  • The fight will not be attaining dreams.
« Reply #10445 on: May 23, 2021, 11:03:20 am »
35m in 2011.

Record signing for a forward at the time. I think Naby is still our record for a midfielder. Virg and Becker are the only players in our history to have cost more, I think. Might be wrong.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10446 on: May 23, 2021, 11:10:05 am »
I've no patience left for him. It's clear, though on evidence the skill is there, he'll never be the lynchpin of our midfield we hoped he would be. He's not reliable enough to claim that number 8 and make it his own. So now we're between 'too expensive for rotation' and 'too unreliable to build around him'. Any reasonable offer and I'd sell him immediately. Three years of this is quite enough to draw a line under and move on to a different player. Even one less talented is better for us if we can rely on him and build permanent relationships on the pitch with other players.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #10447 on: May 23, 2021, 11:27:39 am »
Very talented player but injured way to much and to be honest never really looks that driven/determined type of player needed in a Klopp side .

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10448 on: May 23, 2021, 11:38:03 am »
I think Jones is why we’re letting Gini go. You can see it in how he is being asked to play and where.

Our replacement for Wijnaldum on the starting XI is Thiago, next to Fabinho and Henderson. I expect that Jones will be developed into Thiago's successor. If we sell Keita, I expect that we will sign a player to replace him directly ...

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10449 on: May 23, 2021, 12:25:24 pm »
He’s not happy here, he wants to play a more creative role and there’s no point keeping someone who isn’t motivated

Bissouma + A quality creative midfielder leaves us stronger than Gini + Keita

How do you know that? 

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #10450 on: May 23, 2021, 12:25:27 pm »
I'll bet on less than half.

It's a shame really because he can be a top player, just not on a regular basis. In terms of what we've got out of his signing, and what he cost, I think he's been the worst value for money since Joe Cole/Balotelli.

There have been far worse value for money.

Cos even though his ridiculoud injury issues have made it a signing that didn’t work, he did contribute, even if it wasn’t a lot, to the club winning the two greatest prizes in football.

The likes of Markovic, Downing, Carrol, Benteke, Ballotelli, to name a few, now those where awful value.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #10451 on: May 23, 2021, 04:57:35 pm »
There have been far worse value for money.

Cos even though his ridiculoud injury issues have made it a signing that didn’t work, he did contribute, even if it wasn’t a lot, to the club winning the two greatest prizes in football.

The likes of Markovic, Downing, Carrol, Benteke, Ballotelli, to name a few, now those where awful value.
There is truth to that, but we shouldn't be judging contribution by the outcome. Winning the CL and PL have a component of luck and other things. Had we not won those, you would put Keita in the same category, right?
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10452 on: May 23, 2021, 05:01:40 pm »
How do you know that?

Precisely. How anybody can condemn a player based on media speculation is ridiculous, you might as well believe the milkman as that. It might be true or it could be a load of bollocks. Leave it at that and wait until something happens or the player speaks for himself.

Offline Wilmo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10453 on: May 23, 2021, 05:05:32 pm »
50% of the posts in this thread are updates to Keita suffering another injury, and 50% are posts exactly like this one.

And I'll be honest, I don't think he's often been that good when he has played. Likely due to the injuries, but still.
'History has always shown that when we stay together we can sort out problems. When we split then we start fighting. There was not one time in history where division creates success.' - Klopp

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #10454 on: May 23, 2021, 09:02:37 pm »
There is truth to that, but we shouldn't be judging contribution by the outcome. Winning the CL and PL have a component of luck and other things. Had we not won those, you would put Keita in the same category, right?

that’s just a weird argument that I will have to re-read 100 times before I can get my head around it! 

I may reply if and when I get my head around it. 

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10455 on: May 23, 2021, 09:08:59 pm »
that’s just a weird argument that I will have to re-read 100 times before I can get my head around it! 

I may reply if and when I get my head around it. 
You are Harry Maguire and I claim my 5 quid. ;D

Seriously though the end doesn't justify the means.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10456 on: May 23, 2021, 09:09:08 pm »
If we do list him there’ll be plenty of competition to sign him. Plenty.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10457 on: May 23, 2021, 09:10:54 pm »
Yeah it's better for everyone if he leaves. Somewhere where expectations aren't very high and trainings aren't very intense. His career could get back on track and continue to be a very good player that he is.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10458 on: May 23, 2021, 09:14:28 pm »
Agree with that, although its a matter of valuation - the lower it is, the more clubs will be interested. And he's a very good player who is, sadly, rarely available. He can do well in more technical and less physical leagues. The question is whether we should try to cash in (give up on him) or not. I don't know what the right answer is, just my feeling is that we should sell if a decent offer comes in.

Offline Phineus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10459 on: May 23, 2021, 09:45:19 pm »
Think Bayern or Dortmund will be interested in him.

As talented as he is, and as much as I’d love to see him consistently put a run together in the team, it makes sense to raise funds for a player who can be contributing week in week out.

Offline Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10460 on: May 23, 2021, 10:12:44 pm »
In the post covid era no club will touch him with his injury record.

Loan and option to buy at a club like Southampton is the only scenario I can see if Klopp has given up on him.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10461 on: May 24, 2021, 07:35:07 am »
I hope you’re right Roy. Dortmund or the likes perhaps, a league where he’s known/remembered. But let’s not kid ourselves, this has been a big 3 year ‘gap’ on his footballing CV and we’re going to take a massive bath on that £45m regardless.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10462 on: May 24, 2021, 08:10:03 am »

What? No way. We won the CL and league with Naby. Not even close

Offline The Test

• 6'3" tall, very strong but also pretty quick seeks soulmate with GSOH. Priority given to Mormons.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Coutinho's cousins mates tennis partner
« Reply #10463 on: May 24, 2021, 08:15:11 am »
Aquilani... our Xabi replacement.  :butt

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10464 on: May 24, 2021, 08:17:58 am »
I hope you’re right Roy. Dortmund or the likes perhaps, a league where he’s known/remembered. But let’s not kid ourselves, this has been a big 3 year ‘gap’ on his footballing CV and we’re going to take a massive bath on that £45m regardless.

Be happy to take a massive bath on it and get him a move to club where he can start again and we can start again. I've convinced myself it'll be Dortmund. Maybe Paris will buy him or something mad.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10465 on: May 24, 2021, 08:35:59 am »
It sounds like the club physios made a tailored programme for his hamstrings so as to avoid the constant niggles, then he missed the final few weeks with a hamstring niggle.  It may just be a reaction to the training but it sadly sums up his time here.

My worry is that even if we manage his fitness perfectly he will still be flogged by Guinea and we have the AFCON next season.  It looks like one of those that just wasn't mean to be but it would be sad if his final appearance was being subbed in the 43rd minute.

Offline mickeydocs

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Klopp - best Liverpool coach since Paisley
« Reply #10466 on: May 24, 2021, 09:12:17 am »
Our replacement for Wijnaldum on the starting XI is Thiago, next to Fabinho and Henderson. I expect that Jones will be developed into Thiago's successor. If we sell Keita, I expect that we will sign a player to replace him directly ...

Expect or suspect?
It’s easy to believe when it’s going well.

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #10467 on: May 24, 2021, 09:38:55 am »
Just hasn’t worked out for him, shame as he was such a beast at Leipzig.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #10468 on: May 24, 2021, 09:55:47 am »
If it's true Keita has a hamstring injury I don't see someone buying him this summer.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10469 on: May 24, 2021, 01:04:47 pm »
And I'll be honest, I don't think he's often been that good when he has played. Likely due to the injuries, but still.

I was firmly in the camp who thought he was worth persevering for, until this season. With the shitshow all over the pitch we could really have used Keita to finally show some resilience and help us out in MF when Fabinho was seconded to CB. But no, he never was able to and the bottle job away to Madrid (and let's not forget back-spasms away to Napoli a few seasons ago are another sign of mental/bottle issues) was the coup-de-grace for me. And didn't he have to come off early vs Barcelona too?

I'm now strongly in the camp of "get rid even if it means losing half our money on him". There just seems to be a little sign that his attitude is starting to go off too. The question marks were already there over his supposed slowness in even trying to learn English but now there seems to be a little whinging about Klopp going on. Get him out the door asap.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10470 on: May 24, 2021, 01:06:54 pm »
When he's on it he's brilliant. But he's always injured. Was so happy when we got him as well. Been such a let down due to injuries. Can't help but feel his internation team aided in all that. Playing him injured was ridiculous.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #10471 on: May 24, 2021, 01:25:57 pm »
When he's on it he's brilliant. But he's always injured. Was so happy when we got him as well. Been such a let down due to injuries. Can't help but feel his internation team aided in all that. Playing him injured was ridiculous.

Has he been brilliant though?  He's put up good numbers when he's played but I can't think of a single match where he's been crucial to us getting a win or him coming on and turning the tide.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10472 on: May 24, 2021, 01:29:36 pm »
Accidently clicked on the first page of this thread instead. Makes for sad reading in hindsight.

It's like waiting for Santa to put the gifts under the xmas tree but by page 262 realising it's just your creepy uncle wearing a Santa costume getting you to sit on his lap and asking if you've been a good boy.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10473 on: May 24, 2021, 01:34:10 pm »
I was firmly in the camp who thought he was worth persevering for, until this season. With the shitshow all over the pitch we could really have used Keita to finally show some resilience and help us out in MF when Fabinho was seconded to CB. But no, he never was able to and the bottle job away to Madrid (and let's not forget back-spasms away to Napoli a few seasons ago are another sign of mental/bottle issues) was the coup-de-grace for me. And didn't he have to come off early vs Barcelona too?

I'm now strongly in the camp of "get rid even if it means losing half our money on him". There just seems to be a little sign that his attitude is starting to go off too. The question marks were already there over his supposed slowness in even trying to learn English but now there seems to be a little whinging about Klopp going on. Get him out the door asap.

The back spasms were a direct result of an injury he got playing for his national side. The mentality aspect is something that people threw at Sturridge as well.

The problem is his ability to stay fit consistently. Not his lack of bottle.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #10474 on: May 24, 2021, 01:47:50 pm »
I thought he looked very happy yesterday.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #10475 on: May 24, 2021, 02:03:33 pm »
Accidently clicked on the first page of this thread instead. Makes for sad reading in hindsight.

It's like waiting for Santa to put the gifts under the xmas tree but by page 262 realising it's just your creepy uncle wearing a Santa costume getting you to sit on his lap and asking if you've been a good boy.

Go to page 81, after his first game. The optimism was (quite rightly) high.

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=336392.3200

Unfortunately, I think he peaked in his early appearances for us.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 02:05:07 pm by JC the Messiah »
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #10476 on: May 24, 2021, 02:51:47 pm »
Ah well, we'll always have the plane tracking

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10477 on: May 24, 2021, 06:43:18 pm »
The back spasms were a direct result of an injury he got playing for his national side. The mentality aspect is something that people threw at Sturridge as well.

The problem is his ability to stay fit consistently. Not his lack of bottle.

Hate them mentality stuff. Sturridge is washed up at 31 because of his constant injuries and its hard to see Keita being any different. We need to take a haircut and move him on.

Gomez, Matip, Ox and Keita form a core of extremely injury prone top class players and we need reliable options in those positions. Gini going removes a consistent option in midfield which makes it even more important to cut our losses on Keita. I still think hes a marvellous talent though.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10478 on: May 24, 2021, 07:02:12 pm »
Never listening to the RAWK xG and stat gurus when we sign a new player again. I was going around telling everyone that would listen that Keita will be the best midfielder in the league because of yous.

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #10479 on: May 24, 2021, 07:05:24 pm »
Never listening to the RAWK xG and stat gurus when we sign a new player again. I was going around telling everyone that would listen that Keita will be the best midfielder in the league because of yous.

For Naby it was never about xG unlike the forwards.  More that he filled in all the "stats" boxes at elite levels to a degree not usually seen.  Still does when he plays but he just never plays so /shrug.