Author Topic: Grenfell Tower Fire  (Read 140544 times)

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Grenfell Tower Fire. Please no Party Political Point Scoring.
« Reply #1200 on: November 23, 2018, 02:18:23 pm »
'No sprinklers in 96% of London high-rise council blocks'

Nearly 18 months since the Grenfell Tower fire, only 4% of London's high-rise council blocks have sprinklers, according to Labour Party research.

The data seen by the BBC shows 32 out of 837 council-owned buildings above 30m (98ft) have sprinklers fitted.

According to Ms Jones research, before the Grenfell fire on 16 June 2017 only nine towers that are ten storeys or higher had sprinklers fitted.

Several councils across London, including Lambeth, Brent, Camden, Waltham Forest, Wandsworth and City of London, say they have plans to install sprinklers following Grenfell.

After Grenfell, 23 tower blocks have had sprinklers installed with the majority in high rise buildings owned by Croydon Council.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-46311842

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1201 on: March 28, 2019, 05:01:47 pm »
And the hits keep coming.

Grenfell Tower study: Cancer-causing chemicals found nearby

Grenfell Tower is known to have contained asbestos

Toxic chemicals which could cause cancer and asthma have been found close to Grenfell Tower, a study has found.

Research by the University of Central Lancashire (UCLan) says dust and debris from the fire have polluted the surrounding area.

People living near the tower have complained of health problems from vomiting and coughing up blood to skin complaints and breathing difficulties.

The government said the risk to health was "generally very low".

Soil samples were gathered six months after the fire by Professor Anna Stec, who said the levels of toxic chemicals found were "many times higher than normal".

She said: "Fires release a rich cocktail of pollutants, many of them acutely or chronically toxic.

"There is an increased risk of a number of health problems to those in the local area, from asthma to cancer."

Soil and debris samples were taken from six locations up to 1.2km from the Grenfell Tower

The team from UCLan analysed soil and debris samples taken from six locations up to 1.2km from Grenfell Tower.

The study uncovered "significant environmental contamination" in the surrounding area, including in oily deposits collected 17 months after the tragedy.

Based on the level of chemicals discovered, researchers concluded there was an increased risk of a number of health problems to those in the area.

'Upsetting to read'

Natasha Elcock, chairwoman of Grenfell United, said the findings were "alarming and hugely upsetting to read".

She said: "Twenty-one months after the fire the government has yet to carry out a single soil test or offer a proper health screening programme to the community.

"When this report first came to light in October last year, it was left to the bereaved and survivors of Grenfell to fight for government and professional experts to meet with our community.

"Testing in the community must start immediately and by immediately, we mean yesterday."

Researchers said the substances were discovered in quantities that could indicate they resulted from the burning of specific materials used in the 2016 refurbishment of the tower.

Prof Stec said there was a need for further analysis to "quantify any risk" of conditions such as cancer, asthma and other respiratory problems.

She added: "There is undoubtedly evidence of contamination in the area surrounding the tower, which highlights the need for further in-depth, independent analysis to quantify any risks to residents.

"It is now crucial to put in place long-term health screening to assess any long-term adverse health effects of the fire on local residents, emergency responders and clean-up workers."

£50m will be used to help support people's physical and mental health needs following the tragedy

Public Health England has been monitoring air quality around the tower since the fire and said in a report last week the "the risk to public health from air pollution remains low".

The government announced that further environmental checks were to be carried out around Grenfell Tower last year.

A spokesman said: "We take Professor Stec's findings extremely seriously and fully appreciate the ongoing health concerns.

"We have established a comprehensive programme of environmental checks to fully assess the risks and take appropriate action.

"Professor Stec is part of an independent group of scientists overseeing this work and her findings will inform the checks we are conducting."

My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1202 on: October 4, 2019, 01:04:54 pm »

Grenfell Tower report to be released a day before Brexit deadline

Conclusions of public inquiry into fire that claimed 72 lives published on 30 October

The long-awaited public inquiry report into what happened on the night of the Grenfell Tower fire is to be released the day before Britain is due to leave the European Union.

Conclusions about the disaster in west London on 14 June 2017, which claimed 72 lives, will be published and laid before parliament on 30 October, leading to fears among survivors and the bereaved that important lessons will be overshadowed by the possibility of the UK crashing out of the European Union.

The chairman of the inquiry, Sir Martin Moore-Bick, and his legal team have been drafting the report since the first phase of the inquiry hearing ended in December 2018. The prime minister, Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, wrote to the retired high court judge this month saying he must publish the report no later than 30 October.

A good time to bury bad news  ::)

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #1203 on: October 19, 2019, 09:08:36 pm »
Stunned and angry at the comments made by Dame Doreen Lawrence to Channel 4 News

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1185202315218825225

In a nutshell she has stated that had the tower block been full of white people the London Fire Brigade would have done everything to get them out.

I used to respect the woman, shes been through a lot in her life, but to even think racism played a part in the fire brigades response, let alone to come out and say it, ignorant and quite frankly a kick in the teeth to those who literally risked their lives to save people on that night.

Whilst I'm at it as well, fook you Channel 4 for even going with this!!  :no
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline exilescouse

• Lack sufficient letters for real testicles.....
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #1204 on: October 20, 2019, 03:39:38 am »
Stunned and angry at the comments made by Dame Doreen Lawrence to Channel 4 News

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1185202315218825225

In a nutshell she has stated that had the tower block been full of white people the London Fire Brigade would have done everything to get them out.

I used to respect the woman, shes been through a lot in her life, but to even think racism played a part in the fire brigades response, let alone to come out and say it, ignorant and quite frankly a kick in the teeth to those who literally risked their lives to save people on that night.

Whilst I'm at it as well, fook you Channel 4 for even going with this!!  :no

I wasn't aware of this until I saw a Tweet from a London firefighter about her comments, absolutely disgusting to suggest such a thing and to tarnish a whole organisation of brave men and women that were doing their best in a nightmare situation beggars belief. She should be ashamed of herself and apologize or have her honours removed..

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1205 on: October 29, 2019, 11:49:07 am »
Anyone know who brought in the "Justice for Grenfell" banner last season? Would be great to bring it out tomorrow.

Really disgusted the Telegraph released the findings a day earlier than intended. Very saddening the Fire Brigade seem to be getting a large share of blame for something that shouldn't have happened in the first place.
YNWA.

Offline Shite Name

• With a post history to match it.
  • Kopite
« Reply #1206 on: October 29, 2019, 12:49:13 pm »
Blaming the ppl who ran into a burning building to save as many ppl as they could, this country is rotten to the core.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #1207 on: October 29, 2019, 01:03:03 pm »
Blaming the ppl who ran into a burning building to save as many ppl as they could, this country is rotten to the core.

The report isn't blaming the firefighters who tackled the blaze, more the like of direction and management on the night. And Dany Cotton didn't help by saying she wouldn't do anything different if it happened again i.e not change the advice to stay put.

Having said that if the building had been renovated properly the stay put advice would probably have been sensible.

Offline Fortneef

• Palace Fan. Punka wallah?
  • Kopite
« Reply #1208 on: October 29, 2019, 06:28:43 pm »
I would prefer the fire brigade to base their firefighting and evacuation policies on evidence rather than organisational pride.

Isn’t “stay put” is a necessary fiction to pretend that single staircase towers are safe.
In other types of building it’s “GTFO ASAP by unaffected exits” isn’t it ?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1209 on: October 29, 2019, 06:39:02 pm »
I would prefer the fire brigade to base their firefighting and evacuation policies on evidence rather than organisational pride.

Isn’t “stay put” is a necessary fiction to pretend that single staircase towers are safe.

Like every hotel you stay in?

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #1210 on: October 29, 2019, 07:17:45 pm »
The report is laying the blame squarely at the boots of the fire brigade, that stinks.

They were faced with a fire of unprecedented magnitude, never seen before in this country yet somehow they end up getting fingers pointed at them.

I know the London Fire Brigade Commisioner is in the firing line, but what exactly were they expected to do?

It honestly makes me sick that this stinking government will blame the same people who they are repeatedly cutting their resources of, yet the real people at fault, the fat cat company bosses, are not mentioned.

I remember reading at the time one of the firefighters wrote his name on his helmet before entering the building, convinced he would die inside there, fookin hell, how can you even begin to imagine what was going through that guys head.

"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #1211 on: October 29, 2019, 08:32:04 pm »

No it isn't. The Fire Brigade and Fire Safety advisors base their evacuation design on evidence and in a properly maintained building, staying put is the best advice.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1212 on: October 29, 2019, 08:35:16 pm »
No it isn't. The Fire Brigade and Fire Safety advisors base their evacuation design on evidence and in a properly maintained building, staying put is the best advice.
Surely the failure here was not to recognise that their plan wasn’t appropriate in this case and that they should have adapted it to the situation?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1213 on: October 29, 2019, 09:40:31 pm »
Surely the failure here was not to recognise that their plan wasn’t appropriate in this case and that they should have adapted it to the situation?

That was one of the highlighted failures.

The suggestion was that the "stay put"  plan should've changed by 2am, as the fire was clearly spreading and not behaving like predicted. 

Apparently, the on-site commander was somewhat lacking in experience in regards to that type of situation.  However, these points would've been moot if the building wasn't in breach of safety regulations.

The report should be putting most of the blame onto the cost-cutting refurb and the combustible cladding.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 02:27:16 pm by Red-Soldier »

Offline Fortneef

• Kopite
« Reply #1214 on: October 30, 2019, 11:40:07 am »

I don’t think the evidence supports faith in building maintenance.

Anything with one means of escape is a death trap.

Thinking of those poor bastards on that dive boat.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1215 on: October 30, 2019, 12:17:17 pm »
I don’t think the evidence supports faith in building maintenance.

Anything with one means of escape is a death trap.

Thinking of those poor bastards on that dive boat.

What does a dive boat have to do with anything?

Bad maintenance and bad construction will kill people regardless of the number of escape stairs.

Do you have two doors out of your bedroom? Does your house have two staircases? Most deaths in fires are in houses.

Horizontal and vertical escape strategy is based on science and experimentation. I'll wait for the second part of the report but in my view, Grenfell appears to be an exceptional event resulting from badly designed and installed cladding that created a chimney effect up the outside of the building. 
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline Fortneef

• Kopite
« Reply #1216 on: October 30, 2019, 01:01:33 pm »
Since bad maintenance and construction are endemic, buildings need multiple escape routes.

Houses and low rises you can jump out the window, if not the fire brigade can reach you.

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1217 on: October 30, 2019, 01:55:38 pm »
The report is back to front. No firefighter wrapped the building in flammable panelling, it was a deathtrap before any firefighter entered and yet the headline blame goes onto the firebrigade.

The whole postwar firefighting methods rely on compartementalisation, on staying put, ive been to hundreds of highrise fires and stayput works practically, this was something completely out of the ordinary and ive done 30 years in one of the busiest urban brigades in Europe, there's not much firewise i haven't seen and as i saw the first tragic pictures from Grenfell, I thought that can't happen, fire doesn't spread like that and I wasn't alone non of my experienced mates weren't shocked at the firespread.

However new building techniques have seen new things such as small multistory buildings with wood structure instead of concreate, new forms of cladding and  many new challenges at a time when the likes of Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson have presided over unprecedented cuts to fire service budgets, a general move away from enforced regulation, Austerity and housing policy changes,causing poverty deregulation, poverty is a massive cause of fires. In Merseyside, with a massive structural change seeing thousands of student flats coming into the city centre , cuts meant the brigade wanted to close the city centre fire station of a night, till the FBU pressurised Labour councillors that it was a disaster waiting to happen.

with research there have been warnings that stay put needed to be re thought in specific circumstances but the voices haven't been heard by Governments who are more concerned about budgets, the last few years in the fire service have all been about downgrading, cuts, savings, we have the tragedy of grenfell as experience yet hundreds of blocks still have similar cladding and yet nothing is done as there are arguments over who pays etc. There is a general feeling amongst firefighters that the cuts leave us dangerously exposed but too often our voices are unheard. Merseyside had over 45 appliances when i started, as i left it was nearer 20, if Grenfell was in Liverpool we'd have struggled getting 30 fire appliances to the job there were occasions when of a nightime, we only had 5 or 6 covering Liverpool, a normal house job could take up 3.

The findings that if stay put had of been changed may be valid but seems over simplistic taking no account of how many would be killed by the smoke which is unbreathable containing cynides and allsorts of poisons before they got to a place of safety, generally smoke not fire kills people in fires

We'll have to wait for part two of the report but the extracts from part one doesn't fill me with confidence that the need to address the larger questions of why this happened will be answered and if that's not done the likelihood is there'll be further tragic events, you can't run fire brigades on the premise that most of the time well get way with it, firefighters experience tells them that s not good enough now its for government to realise that
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #1218 on: October 30, 2019, 02:29:34 pm »
Skynews saying there is relief that the first part of the report isn't a Whitewash personally I think any Whitewash that may happen will be in the 2nd part when they start looking at the council and Government roles in safety standards and the cladding etc
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Fortneef

• Kopite
« Reply #1219 on: October 30, 2019, 03:01:28 pm »
Alan-X: sorry im being a grump. Im fixated on the idea that single stair high rises are just plain wrong. It may be my own morbid fears.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1220 on: October 30, 2019, 03:45:22 pm »
That was one of the highlighted failures.

The suggestion was that the "stay put"  plan should've changed by 2am, as the fire was clearly spreading and not behaving like predicted. 

Apparently, the on-site commander was somewhat lacking in experience in regards to that type of situation.  However, these points would've been moot if the building wasn't in breach of safety regulations.

The report should be putting most of the blame onto the cost-cutting refurb and the combustible cladding.

I was on a Fire Warden course the morning following the outbreak of the fire at Grenfell. Obviously it became a big discussion subject during the course. As the instructor said to us, the staircase would have been filled with superheated air and smoke, telling people to go out into that was the same as signing their death warrant.

ALL the blame needs to be put on the cost cutting and cladding.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1221 on: November 1, 2019, 06:14:43 pm »
The report is back to front. No firefighter wrapped the building in flammable panelling, it was a deathtrap before any firefighter entered and yet the headline blame goes onto the firebrigade.

The whole postwar firefighting methods rely on compartementalisation, on staying put, ive been to hundreds of highrise fires and stayput works practically, this was something completely out of the ordinary and ive done 30 years in one of the busiest urban brigades in Europe, there's not much firewise i haven't seen and as i saw the first tragic pictures from Grenfell, I thought that can't happen, fire doesn't spread like that and I wasn't alone non of my experienced mates weren't shocked at the firespread.

However new building techniques have seen new things such as small multistory buildings with wood structure instead of concreate, new forms of cladding and  many new challenges at a time when the likes of Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson have presided over unprecedented cuts to fire service budgets, a general move away from enforced regulation, Austerity and housing policy changes,causing poverty deregulation, poverty is a massive cause of fires. In Merseyside, with a massive structural change seeing thousands of student flats coming into the city centre , cuts meant the brigade wanted to close the city centre fire station of a night, till the FBU pressurised Labour councillors that it was a disaster waiting to happen.

with research there have been warnings that stay put needed to be re thought in specific circumstances but the voices haven't been heard by Governments who are more concerned about budgets, the last few years in the fire service have all been about downgrading, cuts, savings, we have the tragedy of grenfell as experience yet hundreds of blocks still have similar cladding and yet nothing is done as there are arguments over who pays etc. There is a general feeling amongst firefighters that the cuts leave us dangerously exposed but too often our voices are unheard. Merseyside had over 45 appliances when i started, as i left it was nearer 20, if Grenfell was in Liverpool we'd have struggled getting 30 fire appliances to the job there were occasions when of a nightime, we only had 5 or 6 covering Liverpool, a normal house job could take up 3.

The findings that if stay put had of been changed may be valid but seems over simplistic taking no account of how many would be killed by the smoke which is unbreathable containing cynides and allsorts of poisons before they got to a place of safety, generally smoke not fire kills people in fires

We'll have to wait for part two of the report but the extracts from part one doesn't fill me with confidence that the need to address the larger questions of why this happened will be answered and if that's not done the likelihood is there'll be further tragic events, you can't run fire brigades on the premise that most of the time well get way with it, firefighters experience tells them that s not good enough now its for government to realise that

I think it would be good to have a tightly moderated review of the second part of the report when it cones out. I've worked a lot at the design end and you have the practical experience. I know there are other people on here who have informed opinions to offer.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1222 on: November 1, 2019, 06:22:08 pm »
Alan-X: sorry im being a grump. Im fixated on the idea that single stair high rises are just plain wrong. It may be my own morbid fears.

No need to apologise.

This is what I do for a living. If I design a building that's unsafe and between the client, design team and building control we fuck up the means of escape then people die.

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1223 on: November 16, 2019, 10:29:59 am »
I await the findings on this fire from during the night. No reported casualties, but descriptions of the fire climbing up the exterior cladding.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-50438177

Bolton fire: Crews tackle huge blaze at student flats
4 hours ago

Crowds of students were evacuated from The Cube in Bolton when the fire broke out at about 20:30 GMT on Friday.

At its height about 200 firefighters from 40 fire engines were tackling the blaze which was affecting every floor.

A witness said the fire was "climbing up" the six-storey building. One person was rescued by crews using an aerial platform.

Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) said two people were treated by paramedics at the scene.

It said six fire engines remained at the scene at 05:30 as firefighters "tackle the last few pockets of fire".

Area manager Jim Hutton said "hardworking firefighters" had prevented the fire from spreading to an adjacent building.

"Our crews have done a fantastic job bringing this fire under control, in what have been very challenging circumstances," added Assistant Chief Fire Officer Tony Hunter.

One witness said the fire was "climbing up" the building
University of Bolton student Shannon Parker, who lives in the building, said she was in her room when the fire started.

"I heard the fire alarm going off but it kept on going off so I just thought it was a drill at first until one of my flatmates shouted down the corridor that it was a real fire," the 22-year-old said.

"So I ran out the flat as quickly as I could and I saw that it was one of the flats below mine and we went out by the fire exit."

She said she was being relocated to either a nearby hotel or another student accommodation building.

GMFRS has asked residents of The Cube to register at Orlando Village Student Accommodation and contact family members to let them know they are safe.

The University of Bolton said it was supporting students who had been evacuated and had given people temporary accommodation at the Orlando student halls and in some hotels.

Prof George E Holmes DL, president and vice-chancellor of the university, said: "University colleagues have worked through the night to make sure support is in place for students over the weekend.

"We have also arranged to provide necessities such as toiletries for all students affected and are opening the university over the weekend so students can be supported. We will also provide food for them."

He said The Cube was not owned by the University of Bolton and that it was owned and managed by a private landlord.

Witness Ace Love, 35, said the fire "kept getting more intense, climbing up and to the right because the wind was blowing so hard".

"We could see it bubbling from the outside and then being engulfed from the outside," he added.

"A lot of students got out very fast, someone was very distressed, the rest were on phones calling for help.

"The fire got worse and worse, to the point where you could see through the beams, it was just bare frame."
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #1224 on: November 17, 2019, 03:01:57 am »
Sure you'll have seen on local news rob, but it's a different form of cladding to the one which contributed to what happened at Grenfell. That said, it opens the question again about what's been waived through as 'safe'. Bolton's Cube was covered in this stuff which Huffpost was raising concerns about a few weeks back: Huffpost.

"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1225 on: November 17, 2019, 11:19:03 am »
Sure you'll have seen on local news rob, but it's a different form of cladding to the one which contributed to what happened at Grenfell. That said, it opens the question again about what's been waived through as 'safe'. Bolton's Cube was covered in this stuff which Huffpost was raising concerns about a few weeks back: Huffpost.

and that’s not the only type, there’s a building near the big roundabout with wooden cladding where the owners are getting £30k bills as a result of huge failures in government policy under the last labour government and this tory one

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1226 on: November 17, 2019, 12:01:42 pm »

That is what is so worrying, is any of this cladding safe? I look out of my office window and all I see is highrises covered in cladding. We cannot be putting the residents and firefighters at risk in these buildings.

Another concern is that the students became so used to the alarm going off everyday they thought nothing of it.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #1227 on: November 17, 2019, 12:08:29 pm »
That is what is so worrying, is any of this cladding safe? I look out of my office window and all I see is highrises covered in cladding. We cannot be putting the residents and firefighters at risk in these buildings.

Another concern is that the students became so used to the alarm going off everyday they thought nothing of it.

The issue is not the material, but the who has designed and specified which specific materials are to be used, whether that be a regional or national standard.

As with most disasters - shortsightedness and money always come to the fore in the inquest.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1228 on: December 4, 2019, 04:28:42 pm »
Theres been a fire at a Travelodge in Brentford, in the binstore next to the building. They Fire Brigade are saying they don't think that the cladding fuelled the fire, but it can be seen that the cladding looks like it was on fire and it is charred

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-50655106
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #1229 on: January 29, 2020, 04:11:06 pm »
Interesting legal quandary thrown up in the Inquiry preliminaries.

Lawyers acting on behalf of the architects, builders and the client on the works - witnesses for the inquiry - have written to the inquiry chairman to obtain an undertaking from the Government that anything they say will not be used in any subsequent prosecution. Otherwise, the witnesses will claim privilege against self-incrimination and refuse to answer questions.

It apparently wouldn't be the first time such undertakings have been provided at high-profile inquiries, but it puts key people in a difficult position.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline sidneyroughdiamond

• Legacy Fan
  • There is a light that never goes out
« Reply #1230 on: February 10, 2020, 09:02:41 pm »
There are so many people culpable for the inadequate cladding on this building. All trying to dodge the blame now. It absolutely stinks.
Well, this piece is called "Lick My Love Pump".

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1231 on: February 10, 2020, 09:30:44 pm »
One of the American companies (cladding I think) are trying to get out of their responsibilities by claiming that some of the dead had pre-existing conditions .

Fucking scum.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1232 on: February 10, 2020, 09:50:43 pm »
They put profit before people's lives.

I'd love to be able to push a button which duly hands out the punishment that these people deserve.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1233 on: February 10, 2020, 10:55:41 pm »

American firm facing court action over Grenfell fire claims tower victims may have died due to 'pre-existing medical conditions'

It made the statement in a bid to get out of legal action lodged by Grenfell survivors

The US-based parent company of the firm which made insulation put on Grenfell Tower has claimed residents of the West London building may have died in the horrific blaze because they had "pre-existing medical conditions".

It comes after families of the 72 people who died and survivors of the devastating fire in June 2017, launched a law suit against US based Saint-Gobain Corporation, the parent company of the British based Saint-Gobain Construction Products UK.

Saint-Gobain Construction Products UK owns Celotex, makers of the insulation in the tower's cladding.

The legal action has been launched by the estates of the victims, survivors, their spouses and children.

It is thought the firms are being sued for their alleged role in "causing woeful death" and that the residents could stand to win damages for emotional pain and distress caused to them and for loss of earnings and the cost of therapies and support the fire has entailed.

The insulation was put on the 24-storey tower as part of the “refurbishment” done for Kensington and Chelsea Council, which owned the building, which was built in the 1970s. The Tower was managed by the arms-length management company Kensington and Chelsea Tenant Management Organisation which ran council homes across the borough.

Saint-Gobain Corporation is bidding to be removed from the legal action which is due to be fought out in court in the US.

In papers filed at court in Pennsylvania it said “it is improperly named as a defendant in this action because it did not design, market, manufacture, or sell any of the products at issue in this action and further states that neither it, nor “Saint-Gobain North American,” are or were doing business as Celotex”.

The legal response to the claim also states that: “Claims are barred, in whole or in part, to the extent damages, if any, were the direct result of pre-existing medical conditions, and/or occurred as a result of circumstances over which Defendant had no control. “

The court papers also said that lawyers for the bereaved and survivors “have not named any Celotex entity as a defendant in this action”.

A statement from Celotex on its website reads: "As we approach the second anniversary of the Grenfell Tower fire, Celotex re-affirms our deepest sympathies to everyone affected by the fire.

"We are continuing to cooperate fully with the Public Inquiry, which will be considering in Phase 2, a large number of complex and inter-related issues concerning the refurbishment of Grenfell Tower, including the design and installation of the rainscreen cladding system, of which insulation made by Celotex formed one element. Celotex remains committed to providing all relevant information to the Inquiry to assist it in its work.

Celotex is a UK business and the Celotex insulation used at Grenfell Tower was manufactured and sold in the United Kingdom. Celotex learned on Friday 7 June 2019 of an action being initiated in the United States against a group company, Saint-Gobain Corporation, and other parties, involving allegations in connection with Grenfell Tower. Saint-Gobain Corporation has issued its own statement.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #1234 on: September 7, 2020, 10:18:05 pm »
In a surprise to absolutely nobody -

Keir Starmer
@Keir_Starmer
Tonight, Conservative MPs voted against putting into law the implementation of the Grenfell Inquiry Phase I recommendations.

But surely the MP for Kensington Felicity Buchan would have voted for it?

Erm.. Nope

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1235 on: September 8, 2020, 12:24:02 pm »
I know the thread title says no political point scoring, so delete this if necessary - but this makes my blood boil.

The sheer hypocrisy of these rancid vermin in government, lighting up Downing Street just a few months ago to mark the anniversary, then voting down an amendment to get phase 1 recommendations implemented.

Angela Rayner calls them out:

https://twitter.com/AngelaRayner/status/1303241211667460096
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1236 on: September 8, 2020, 01:25:22 pm »
I know the thread title says no political point scoring, so delete this if necessary - but this makes my blood boil.

The sheer hypocrisy of these rancid vermin in government, lighting up Downing Street just a few months ago to mark the anniversary, then voting down an amendment to get phase 1 recommendations implemented.

Angela Rayner calls them out:

https://twitter.com/AngelaRayner/status/1303241211667460096

No surprise really.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
Re: Grenfell Tower Fire
« Reply #1237 on: September 10, 2020, 10:15:33 am »
Please no Party Political Point Scoring is no longer in the title. The Government deserve no protection from the reaction to their votes in Parliament.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1238 on: September 10, 2020, 10:34:41 am »
Please no Party Political Point Scoring is no longer in the title. The Government deserve no protection from the reaction to their votes in Parliament.

:thumbup

Online Brissyred

• RAWK's Great Uncle Google......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1239 on: February 24, 2021, 01:20:02 am »