Author Topic: Emre Can  (Read 293210 times)

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: Emre Can
« Reply #2960 on: November 14, 2017, 01:10:50 pm »
Well, Fernandinho is 32 so will only have a couple years left so Can would be a natural replacement for him at City.  Khedira, Marchisio, Matuidi are all 30+ so Juve will need to replace them sooner rather then later.  And if he ends up at Bayern he’ll be rotating with Martinez (who’s 30 next year) and Sule at the #6 depending on who their next manager is and their tactical setup. 

For me, I think he’ll have no problem playing in his preferred position wherever he goes.  He has the talent and the potential to be a top player, and at 23, his best years are still in front of him.  The fact that so many on here are ok with him leaving is pretty mind boggling to be honest.  There’s a reason why 3 of the top teams in the world are interested in signing him and it’s not just because he’ll go there on a free.   

Yet under multiple managers he hasn’t been able to force his way into his preferred position ahead of a player who many don’t consider all that good, even when that player has had long spells out through injury.

But yeah, of course he’ll get into the sides you say are some of the top in the world.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #2961 on: November 14, 2017, 01:22:14 pm »
Yet under multiple managers he hasn’t been able to force his way into his preferred position ahead of a player who many don’t consider all that good, even when that player has had long spells out through injury.

But yeah, of course he’ll get into the sides you say are some of the top in the world.

By multiple you mean 2 don't you Craig.

As for Can forcing his way into his preferred position ahead of Henderson ? I presume.

Well that multiple managers all of a sudden becomes 1 because Henderson certainly wasn't Rodgers first choice.

Let's get real here Can arrived as a teenager and in 3 and a bit seasons has played 144 games. If we lose him on a free it will be a big blow. He should of been tied down to a long term performance related deal that suited both the player and the club.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2962 on: November 14, 2017, 01:30:21 pm »
By multiple you mean 2 don't you Craig.

Are you going to try and argue two isn't multiple now?

As for Can forcing his way into his preferred position ahead of Henderson ? I presume.

Well that multiple managers all of a sudden becomes 1 because Henderson certainly wasn't Rodgers first choice.

Let's get real here Can arrived as a teenager and in 3 and a bit seasons has played 144 games. If we lose him on a free it will be a big blow. He should of been tied down to a long term performance related deal that suited both the player and the club.

Not sure why you've quoted me then argued some other point, which I don't disagree with, about what we should have done 1-2 years ago now.

Just surprised you've managed to post without mentioning Edwards.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #2963 on: November 14, 2017, 02:04:26 pm »
Are you going to try and argue two isn't multiple now?

Not sure why you've quoted me then argued some other point, which I don't disagree with, about what we should have done 1-2 years ago now.

Just surprised you've managed to post without mentioning Edwards.

It was a silent Edwards.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline BigTroubleInLittleChina

• Main Stander
« Reply #2964 on: November 14, 2017, 02:26:39 pm »
I think if Hendo wasn`t captain, we`d see Can alot more even if Hendo was fit. Next year with Naby in (if the Goretzka rumours are true also....) we probably won`t see him start many games. But i can see Can being picked before Hendo next season if he is still here.
The way she goes, boys.

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2965 on: November 14, 2017, 02:29:57 pm »
Would not mind him replacing Fernandinho at City at all. Doesn't have the passing or energy to play as their 6 and their midfield would become impossibly porous.

Offline G a r y

• Sexist Pig. Wants to mate with Dan Bilzerian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #2966 on: November 14, 2017, 02:36:54 pm »
If he doesn't want to sign, sell him in January and try and get something for him.

I'm sure we could get £10m for him on January 1st.

It isn't a huge blow and I won't be losing much sleep over it. I'd sell him and Coutinho in January if they want to go. Spend the money on the back - obviously try and get the deals done now (for players coming in) rather than being classic Liverpool and leaving ourselves short.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2967 on: November 14, 2017, 02:38:52 pm »
Putting aside the transfer fee, would anyone really be upset about Can going if Keita and Goretzka end up coming in? Seems like a huge upgrade to me.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #2968 on: November 14, 2017, 02:40:37 pm »
If he doesn't want to sign, sell him in January and try and get something for him.

I'm sure we could get £10m for him on January 1st.

It isn't a huge blow and I won't be losing much sleep over it. I'd sell him and Coutinho in January if they want to go. Spend the money on the back - obviously try and get the deals done now (for players coming in) rather than being classic Liverpool and leaving ourselves short.

That's pocket money now mate, that probably wouldn't pay for someone from the Championship
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline G a r y

• Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #2969 on: November 14, 2017, 02:42:53 pm »
That's pocket money now mate, that probably wouldn't pay for someone from the Championship
Absolutely, but it is what we paid for him. With 6 months left on his contract we aren't really in the position to argue are we?

I'd rather not have him around, offer the £10m to Leipzig for Keita?

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #2970 on: November 14, 2017, 02:53:58 pm »
Absolutely, but it is what we paid for him. With 6 months left on his contract we aren't really in the position to argue are we?

;D

Keita isn't coming to Liverpool in Januuary. Why would Leipzig take an extra 10 mill to lose him for 5 months. They aren't poor, and more importantly they are 2nd in the Bundesliga, they want to make sure they stay in the automatic CL qualification spots this year, and keeping Keita is important to that. That's worth more to them.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2971 on: November 14, 2017, 02:56:01 pm »

That's what I mean though, at this rate its probably better having him in the squad for 6 months than to try and work out a replacement for those six months
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline M7 Heckler

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2972 on: November 14, 2017, 02:56:17 pm »
Been finding it really difficult to sleep recently with this whole Emre Can situation.

Offline G a r y

• Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #2973 on: November 14, 2017, 02:57:49 pm »
That's what I mean though, at this rate its probably better having him in the squad for 6 months than to try and work out a replacement for those six months
Fair enough, do you think he starts when all midfielders are fit though? £10m is £10m, i'd rather put it towards a replacement

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2974 on: November 14, 2017, 02:59:57 pm »
Fair enough, do you think he starts when all midfielders are fit though? £10m is £10m, i'd rather put it towards a replacement

Nah I don't but until the end of the season we've got Hendo, Can, Wijnaldum, Lallana, Coutinho and Grujic and pretty much all of them are prone to an injury or two.

I'd rather just keep him until the end of the season and then whatever happens, happens.

Offline G a r y

• Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #2975 on: November 14, 2017, 03:01:01 pm »
They certainly are all injury prone. Can see both sides

Offline The Test

• 6'3" tall, very strong but also pretty quick seeks soulmate with GSOH. Priority given to Mormons.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Coutinho's cousins mates tennis partner
« Reply #2976 on: November 14, 2017, 03:26:00 pm »
My only issue with him leaving is the subsequent lack of height /strength in midfield. We're already tiny.  Add Keita to the midfield mix next season and Anfield's going to look like Lilliput when the West Broms and Watfords come calling. Can't be that hard to identify a player with similar stature but a tad more mobility.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #2977 on: November 14, 2017, 03:26:48 pm »
They certainly are all injury prone. Can see both sides

Not sure I Lallana both sides, though...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2978 on: November 14, 2017, 03:29:31 pm »
My only issue with him leaving is the subsequent lack of height /strength in midfield. We're already tiny.  Add Keita to the midfield mix next season and Anfield's going to look like Lilliput when the West Broms and Watfords come calling. Can't be that hard to identify a player with similar stature but a tad more mobility.

Denis Zakaria, there done. Easy this scouting lark  :P

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #2979 on: November 14, 2017, 03:36:53 pm »

It's fine I think Leon Goretzka is 6'2. Plus West Ham's midfield will be too busy chasing Naby Keita's shadow to be worried about how big they are.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #2980 on: November 14, 2017, 04:09:59 pm »
Who said Leon Goretzka is coming to Liverpool?

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2981 on: November 14, 2017, 04:14:27 pm »

No one.  There was some comments about him wanting to move to the premier league at the end of his Schalke deal made by Oliver Bierhoff , but he since backtracked and said he was talking hypothetically.

There will be about 20 clubs making approaches for him in January.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #2982 on: November 14, 2017, 04:41:39 pm »
Hahahahahaha city, juve, bayern, dortmund not top sides  ;D ;D ;D emre can average player hahah jesus

picking up at £30-40m asset for free might be something to do with it.

*rolling eyes emoticon*

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2983 on: November 14, 2017, 04:43:50 pm »

I’m not sure I would use a manager that played Firmino as a wingback as an argument against a player being good enough or not to play in his preferred position. 

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #2984 on: November 14, 2017, 04:45:41 pm »
Was Coutinho as consistent as he is now 2 seasons ago?
He wasn't.

Why the double standard for Can? Cause he's set to leave?

not really sure what your point is here as it's framed so vaguely.

did coutinho look like he'd be a world beating AM two years ago?  yes, he did.

does handsome emre look being a world beating MF now? not to my eyes as he just doesn't seem quick enough in mind or body for the premiership.

do i want to keep him?  sure but i'm not massively arsed if he goes either.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #2985 on: November 14, 2017, 04:46:22 pm »
Not really a double standard, Coutinho was always better than Can. I mean he played a big part in our team when we were a couple of pts away from winning the PL. Coutinho was better back then- a lot better - than Can is now. But of course he’s stepped it up a lot as well since.

hello baz - haven't seen you on here for ages ;D

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #2986 on: November 14, 2017, 04:59:36 pm »
I think if Hendo wasn`t captain, we`d see Can alot more even if Hendo was fit. Next year with Naby in (if the Goretzka rumours are true also....) we probably won`t see him start many games. But i can see Can being picked before Hendo next season if he is still here.

henderson will be 28 next season.  hardly time for the knackers yard.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #2987 on: November 14, 2017, 05:01:00 pm »

don ballon from spain yesterday.  it has been picked up by all the usual suspects.

Offline macnianios

• Kemlynite
« Reply #2988 on: November 14, 2017, 08:33:42 pm »
started as right back for Germany agaisnt France

doesn't look good so far

Offline Curtisinho

• Main Stander
  • YNWA
« Reply #2989 on: November 14, 2017, 09:49:36 pm »
started as right back for Germany agaisnt France

doesn't look good so far

to be honest Can is not a very good footballer. I know a lot of people are in love with his talent and physical ability but he's got no toolbox and his lack of quickness of movement and thought make his strong attributes lackluster.
Walk on with hope in your heart and you'll never walk alone.

Online smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2990 on: November 14, 2017, 09:54:04 pm »
to be honest Can is not a very good footballer. I know a lot of people are in love with his talent and physical ability but he's got no toolbox and his lack of quickness of movement and thought make his strong attributes lackluster.
How can he not be very good? He plays for Germany and Liverpool?

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #2991 on: November 14, 2017, 10:00:36 pm »
Will he ever be good enough to play in his best position?
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline Curtisinho

• Main Stander
  • YNWA
« Reply #2992 on: November 14, 2017, 10:06:08 pm »
How can he not be very good? He plays for Germany and Liverpool?
Both teams play better when he's not playing for them, IMO.
Walk on with hope in your heart and you'll never walk alone.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #2993 on: November 14, 2017, 10:40:17 pm »

Yeah.. let the preemptive revisionism begin.

Some of our best moves in the last couple of seasons have involved Can's quickness of thought.

Can's key weaknesses as a midfielder are that he's not good when being pressed and is too casual tracking back.

The former is unfortunately an issue with two of our midfielders, Henderson being the other. The fact that the two of them do often player together, exacerbates the problem.

I think we'd be okay if Can left, because I don't think he's a dream fit for the way we play, but there's no denying that he's very good.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2994 on: November 14, 2017, 10:47:01 pm »
Yeah.. let the preemptive revisionism begin.

Some of our best moves in the last couple of seasons have involved Can's quickness of thought.

Can's key weaknesses as a midfielder are that he's not good when being pressed and is too casual tracking back.

The former is unfortunately an issue with two of our midfielders, Henderson being the other. The fact that the two of them do often player together, exacerbates the problem.

I think we'd be okay if Can left, because I don't think he's a dream fit for the way we play, but there's no denying that he's very good.

I agree. He's certainly a good footballer and anyone who says other is plain mad. He's making passing combinations through the midfield and has a good shot on him. His biggest weakness is his agility. So as you say, when he gets pressed, he struggles to get away from his man.

I think one of the biggest problems he's had at the club is not having a real focused position. Started with being used as a full back and a RCB under Brendan and more recently too much switching between no.6 and no.8. I don't think being used for utility is the best thing for young players. Seems he has the same issue for Germany.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2995 on: November 14, 2017, 11:02:14 pm »
I agree. He's certainly a good footballer and anyone who says other is plain mad. He's making passing combinations through the midfield and has a good shot on him. His biggest weakness is his agility. So as you say, when he gets pressed, he struggles to get away from his man.

I think one of the biggest problems he's had at the club is not having a real focused position. Started with being used as a full back and a RCB under Brendan and more recently too much switching between no.6 and no.8. I don't think being used for utility is the best thing for young players. Seems he has the same issue for Germany.

Althought it's that versitility that may well earn him a spot for Germany in the world cup, as he's probably 3 or 4th choice for the number 6 role for them.

Problem for Emre is that he always seems to be in this situation, even with Leverkusen, he played a number of games at fullback and some in a more number 8 midfield role. So far in his career he's always had this utility tag, which I guess can be a hindrance as much as a help sometimes.

Offline joekim87

• Truly gone shark fishing.....
  • Kopite
« Reply #2996 on: November 15, 2017, 01:35:11 am »
I can't see why we shouldn't have him a couple of games in the centre back position instead of Lovren or Klavan. It would make send to have him there no? Or perhaps he doesn't like it there?

Offline Lar Salty

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2997 on: November 15, 2017, 01:42:55 am »

You're right. You probably see what Liverpool, Juventus, and the German NT can't see.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2998 on: November 15, 2017, 02:00:47 am »
I can't see why we shouldn't have him a couple of games in the centre back position instead of Lovren or Klavan. It would make send to have him there no? Or perhaps he doesn't like it there?

why? Is there anything to suggest he'd be any better there than players who've played there their whole careers?

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #2999 on: November 15, 2017, 02:16:11 am »
Althought it's that versitility that may well earn him a spot for Germany in the world cup, as he's probably 3 or 4th choice for the number 6 role for them.

Problem for Emre is that he always seems to be in this situation, even with Leverkusen, he played a number of games at fullback and some in a more number 8 midfield role. So far in his career he's always had this utility tag, which I guess can be a hindrance as much as a help sometimes.

I think he needs to just play for a team that will make the most of his strengths while protecting his weaknesses. In the same way that Salah couldn't achieve his potential playing for Mourinho, maybe Can can't achieve his potential with the way that we play. All players need this to varying degrees, and in a way it's to Can's credit that he's been an important part of our squad despite not necessarily having the requisite skill set to excel in the way we play.

So, I'm relatively relaxed about him leaving. We can replace him with someone who will suit the way we play better, and he'll hopefully achieve his potential in a league far away from us. It's a shame that we might get no money for him, but you can't say we wouldn't have gotten good value for him, having paid £10m.