Author Topic: Alberto Moreno: Ghost in the Shell  (Read 449573 times)

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
Re: Alberto Moreno: Ghost in the Shell
« Reply #240 on: August 15, 2016, 06:16:06 pm »
I doubt scything the opposition down and giving away a penalty or heading to them to give them an almost one on one with your keeper, are the orders.

Klopp made the right move yesterday in keeping him on, taking him off would of probably destroyed him, however - things have to change for Alberto and ultimately it is only him that can do that.  Back him - of course, berate him - some will, but don't blame him for all the ills of Liverpools poor football.

Good point.  He is not responsible solely for our problems with conceding restart goals.  Also, he has proven to be capable of not getting stripped and playing quickly ---- although he almost set up Lovren yesterday for a hospital (predictable), he can play to feet and be composed on the ball in the middle third.

I will be the first detractor to say this, he is not the only problem with LFC....  He might be the biggest one at the moment... until Karius gets back and we see who is better.
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline BeautifulGame91

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #241 on: August 15, 2016, 06:22:58 pm »
Think this is getting way overblown now .

We have won at Arsenal for what ? Only the 2nd time in last 10 years and all we doing is comparing  about Moreno . Ridiculous.

He had a poor game but the hyperbole on the media is ridiculous and some fans are just lapping it up.It's as if we are still wound up over the Europa league defeat which is understandable but not really helpful.

One can understand such criticism after a loss but after winning our toughest away ?

We have plenty of time between games this season .So will have lot of time to work on his defensive ability and to avoid the stupid challenges .I am sure if Klopp thinks he is a liability he will find a different solution one way or another .

Also in his defense he wasn't that bad in the league last season.Didnt cost too many goals either despite the hyperbole (only Norwich away and Chelsea away sticks in mind)
It was more in the Europa League against tactically better opposition he struggled badly .

We challenged for the title with Cissokho ffs .

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #242 on: August 15, 2016, 06:24:18 pm »
Good post. Agree with all your points and especially that Moreno should be converted to a winger. Although he has not shown too much promise in attack but that could also be down to the fact that he has to worry about defending. He looks to have the attributes needed to become a winger. The only problem is that we are very short on the LB position and Moreno is probably the only player who can play there right now. So, we definitely need to go out and buy another LB that can push Moreno out of the LB position. The other problem Moreno would face is the number of attacking mids we currently have and the fact that Coutinho currently plays sort of a LM role.

We also now have Gini who Klopp is playing as CM who will more often than not wander into the opposition box which means we need our FB's to be stronger defensively and less marauding forward to help with the attack.

Aye, this is true. But I would just prefer Milner there for a while to ensure we have a good start. Milner is a far better makeshift LB than Moreno unforunately.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: August 15, 2016, 06:26:23 pm »
I haven't read all seven pages but thought I'd throw in my two pennies worth

Moreno is clearly a good attacking player but that's his priority. He is a left back and his first thought should be stopping the oppo scoring

The thing that gets on my nerves is in 18 months I see no sign of improvement or even willingness to learn.

Yesterday he had a poor header across box followed up by a rash tackle that could easy have ended up in a penalty, he conceded a penalty with a rash tackle, he made a needless foul in the right back area of Arsenal to relieve pressure and he gave the ball away time and time again. It was a stinking 45 minutes

He had a better second half but alot of that was down to the fact we got total control across the pitch

Whilst he remains a Liverpool player and on the pitch he'll get support but if he continues to make rash decisions and show no signs of learning he'll get slated by fans and press alike.

He doesn't lack self confidence so I'm not having the press or us criticising is going to cause him issues. He needs to knuckle down and develop

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #244 on: August 15, 2016, 06:27:52 pm »
There's people who know a lot more about tactics and football than me who has written in this thread, but anyone can see that his decision making is not good. I love him but he's not good enough. Those regular two-footed, studs up lunges are almost comical. It might work two or three times, but the one after that leads to a penalty, or a goal.
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #245 on: August 15, 2016, 06:31:08 pm »
Think this is getting way overblown now .

We have won at Arsenal for what ? Only the 2nd time in last 10 years and all we doing is comparing  about Moreno . Ridiculous.

Why do people think it's just been one game?

Offline Gerry83

• Meff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Used to be Jeff, too much crystal
« Reply #246 on: August 15, 2016, 06:31:34 pm »
We will get a new LB or play Milner there. If we dont its one of the biggest over sights or showing of, what i believe to be misplaced, confidence in a player in years!

I find myself totally agreeing with Gary Neville yesterday when he said we are starting a goal down with him in the side. He is handicapping the team and causing defensive issues. Not just with him being out of position but with other players having to fill in / track back and therefore move out of attacking positions. How many teams are going to target that left back position now. Hes an obvious weak link!

He is not going to get any better over night! He's had 2 years to improve and he consistently makes the same mistakes over and over again!

I'm all for giving a player support but only when hes has proved himself worthy of support and that support is going to make a difference! You can't just give a player support by default after countless mistakes. Thats accepting mediocrity. If i consistently make mistakes that cost my business i dont expect my work colleagues to pat me on the back and tell me chin up. If i make one or two, then yes, but this isnt the case with Moreno.

TL:DR?
Call a spade a spade. Hes costing us points and hasnt learnt lessons. He'll be constantly targeted by other teams. He may still have a place at this club but we need an upgrade on that position asap!

Offline Anfield Ed

• Middle name "Dick". Wants it hard, wants it fast.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Warrior #224
« Reply #247 on: August 15, 2016, 06:32:16 pm »
Playing Moreno is like starting a game a goal behind.

He has no in game intelligence, he has poor reading of the game, he lacks concentration, he can't tackle, his decision making is abysmal, his marking and positioning are abysmal.

However the biggest thing for me is that because of his poor performances that weakens our confidence not just in defence but throughout the team because he will be targeted by the opposition as the weakest link and we have to adjust accordingly.

Moreno is just a very bad player.

As for support yes once the game starts he gets my support as do all the players - however that doesn't not mean we cannot criticise before and after.

Offline N0rnIr0nRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #248 on: August 15, 2016, 06:37:42 pm »

That is what is doing my head in about this. People can't have such short memories.
The lad was a defensive liability for the majority of last season.
"I usually have a second pair of glasses but I can't find them because it's hard to find glasses without glasses!" Jürgen Klopp

Offline lorenzo

• Kopite
« Reply #249 on: August 15, 2016, 06:38:55 pm »
Klopp clearly don't agree with most of you and thankfully he's the one in charge. We have the money and no one in the world can't tell me we can't find a LB if Moreno is as bad as you all make out yet until this point we haven't.

Offline BeautifulGame91

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: August 15, 2016, 06:46:09 pm »
Where did I say it's one game ?

Offline scouse neapolitan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: August 15, 2016, 06:46:48 pm »
Unfortunately, criticism of players has always been around and even some of our club's true icons have taken loads over the years.

Those of you who remember the infamous Watford  FA Cup knock-out in 1970 might also remember the stick that was dished out at some of the players  in the days after the match, and we're talking about the likes of Ian St John, Rowdy Yeats and Roger Hunt here. This was basically when Shanks realised that he was going to have to break up the team of his own creation because he knew that they were coming up to their sell-by date.
Having said that, although I was only a 10-year old kid, I still remember that despite the whinging and criticism  it was done with far less hatred and aggression than nowadays. Self-regulation was part of the way life used to be, and anyone thought to be over-doing it was told so in no uncertain terms.

Moreno probably feels like dog-shite himself at the moment. He 's probably been feeling like that since May. Can't imagine what he's feeling after the win yesterday. The atmosphere should be brilliant in the dressing room after a first away win at Arsenal, but I'm sure he'll be a bit confused. Just as well his English is so appalling that he can't read some of the stuff that's been churned out about him on here.
 But then again.  I suppose he'll have Lovren, Lucas, Henderson and Mignolet telling him that the most knowlegeable fans in football will come to love him one day. And if the keyboard Guardiolas are worried about our manager not noticing any of this, I feel sure that Jurgen is well aware of Moreno's shortcomings and knows full-well that the lad is no Roberto Carlos.

I think it's inevitable that anyone who isn't thought to be up to scratch is going to have a hard time from the supporters. Nevertheless, the way it's done is telling. Vile and abusive shite is not the Liverpool way, or at least it never used to be.     'kin  hell! Hate to  imagine what it would have been like if we'd lost.

Offline Curtisinho

• Main Stander
  • YNWA
« Reply #252 on: August 15, 2016, 06:47:42 pm »
That is what is doing my head in about this. People can't have such short memories.

Last season? Moreno has been a defensive liability since he joined us, and his ability going forward has been overstated. He's not good enough for Liverpool plain and simple. I don't know why that issue hasn't been addressed yet...I don't know of any fans outside of Liverpool that actually think he's even a decent player. Most want us to re-sign him like we did Mignolet. He's completely clueless defensively, rash in challenge, can't win headers, and often makes very bizarre decisions going forward. He's the biggest liability on our team and I can't see us winning anything significant as long as he's there. Had Arsenal actually forced things to the right side where Walcott was often in acres of space behind Moreno they'd likely have come away with a better result.
Walk on with hope in your heart and you'll never walk alone.

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #253 on: August 15, 2016, 06:50:49 pm »
Those trying to second guess Klopp's opinion of Moreno might be wide of the mark as well. Just because he is currently starting for us is not an indication that the manager rates him or sees him as the long term solution. Rather it could be because there is a shortage of available fullbacks of sufficient quality. We also don't know how a fit Milner and Gomez will be utilised by Klopp. It is too simple to say that we know the manager's intentions with the left back position. We don't.

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #254 on: August 15, 2016, 06:51:05 pm »
He does need our support given he's clearly trying but fuck me is he frustrating....
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: August 15, 2016, 06:52:09 pm »
This thread is becoming like an appeal for the Dogs Trust

They've not intentionally hurt anyone, look at their little faces
A win for the Liverpool country

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #256 on: August 15, 2016, 06:54:42 pm »
Last season? Moreno has been a defensive liability since he joined us, and his ability going forward has been overstated. He's not good enough for Liverpool plain and simple. I don't know why that issue hasn't been addressed yet...I don't know of any fans outside of Liverpool that actually think he's even a decent player. Most want us to re-sign him like we did Mignolet. He's completely clueless defensively, rash in challenge, can't win headers, and often makes very bizarre decisions going forward. He's the biggest liability on our team and I can't see us winning anything significant as long as he's there. Had Arsenal actually forced things to the right side where Walcott was often in acres of space behind Moreno they'd likely have come away with a better result.

I just posted this in the shitchat thread but it makes far more sense here. I saw two key times we exposed badly on the right and it mentions both of those.

Interesting thing on Arsenal´s first goal yesterday. It happens in Moreno´s area of the pitch and he is caught ahead of play. He is easy to blame there to a lazy pundit. How it comes about though is far more interesting.

We win the ball and try to counter against Arsenal before they can get into their defensive shape. Moreno pushes forward on the left and the ball goes to Henderson on the half space to the right. Henderson loses the ball. Moreno is already ahead of the ball at this point and starts running back. As we were transitioning from defence to attack our shape is a mess and as Henderson (our sitter) was the one giving the ball away, we are badly exposed in the middle with nobody  protecting zone 5. Players move to try and protect these key areas, ball goes to Walcott who scores before Moreno ever has time to get back there.

1. If Moreno is instructed to get forward in our transition phase, is he responsible for being ahead of play or is Klopp?
2. If he isn´t instructed to do so, why would he ALWAYS do so and why would Klopp let it happen?
3. So we have to reasonably assume he is following tactical instructions. Therefore how is he responsible for that goal?

Also, communication between Klavan and Moreno looked a problem all game yesterday. I remember before we equalised, Moreno saw a runner in Klavan´s blindspot and then had to move over and behind him to cover. This left a huge space on our left open which neither Coutinho or Wijnaldum dropped in to fill. Thankfully our pressing stopped someone switching the play into the unmarked player there or it would be 2-0. If it was, Moreno would be blamed again despite him correctly marking the greater threat running from out to in of a central area. The fact that Klavan didn´t see or react to this threat or (I assume) didn´t react to Moreno´s call or Wijnaldum and Coutinho didn´t react to Moreno having to vacate that position completely were all problems. Moreno making that covering run though was not.

Moreno makes stupid, rash decisions at times and Klopp will believe with training he can fix that. Tactically though, he must be following his instructions or he would be shit canned quicker than you can say 'sign Hector please'.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline Cid

• Licks cuban heeled shoes but doesn't want anyone to know about it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: August 15, 2016, 07:00:19 pm »

Since he joined to be honest.  I remember stating a long time ago that while Moreno was a good attacker he wasn't good at positioning and didn't seem to have the instincts of a defender.    This was while comparing him to Manquillo, who was quite the opposite...an instinctive and talented defender who choked up the field.

Manquillo was scapegoated by the manager of the time (a tactic that his mentor Mourinho has used throughout his career to motivate a squad) and ditched while Moreno has largely gone backwards yet kept his place.

Moreno has made practically every defender who plays his side look shite.  The only ones who learned to cope were players like Sakho who practically played left back in his place (as Klavan ended up doing most of the second half).
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 07:02:35 pm by Cid »

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #258 on: August 15, 2016, 07:04:10 pm »
Snip

All well and good.....but it was Lallana who gave it away.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline RedWood65

• Main Stander
« Reply #259 on: August 15, 2016, 07:11:01 pm »
I just posted this in the shitchat thread but it makes far more sense here. I saw two key times we exposed badly on the right and it mentions both of those.

I was just looking to link your comments to this thread.
I think this goes back to what Klopp asked of all of us...'to believe'.   I clearly don't have the technical nous of BabuYagu, let alone Klopp, but what they write, say and do makes sense when I see it.

I don't know if we can get a better LB, but I believe Klopp knows what he is doing. I believe he communicates clearly with each player and they know exactly what is expected of them and how they are doing.

Yesterday Klopp took responsibility for goals 2 & 3 after celebrating too early on Mane's wonderful goal.  He mentioned how he had sent the wrong message to our team, to AFC and their fans.  I believe Wolcott's goal was a team mistake as well, with Moreno the second last in line to stop it.

I may not believe we will win the league, but I believe we have what we need to do so. 

Offline RedWood65

• Main Stander
« Reply #260 on: August 15, 2016, 07:13:45 pm »
 ;D
sorry for the amateur posting technique. I'm clearly not practiced enough in posting, only lurking!

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #261 on: August 15, 2016, 07:15:22 pm »
Playing Moreno is like starting a game a goal behind.

If you're going to make an argument at least keep it grounded in some form of reality rather than recycling some Gary Neville Sky Sports 'look at me' bollocks

If Moreno is a "very bad player" why didn't Jurgen Klopp who happens to be a 'very good judge of a player' sell him in the summer?

He's rash and he makes mistakes.
He also has good qualities and is one of the most explosive full backs in the league.
He probably shouldn't be our first choice left back...we probably should buy another one.....Beyond that there's nothing to merit the level of hysteria in here

Offline BeautifulGame91

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: August 15, 2016, 07:20:47 pm »
Nice article by Tony Barrett on Times about Moreno .As usual common sense article from him when most media are going for ridiculous hyperbole.Q quoting just a part of it as its behind paywall
Klopp offered an insight into his own outlook earlier this summer when he insisted he was ready to be patient with those players who need most improvement. Moreno undoubtedly falls into that category but he is also a player who has shown a willingness to learn, even if that isn’t always apparent in his performances, and that is a quality that Klopp believes gives him something to work with.
Other managers might have already written Moreno off, it is hard to imagine José Mourinho putting up with him for example, but Klopp keeps on working with Moreno on the training ground, keeps on picking him and handing him responsibility and, most telling of all, has shown no inclination to replace him. The only conclusion to be drawn from that is Moreno offers Klopp more than most realise and if, as seems likely, that is the case maybe a reassessment is in order, not to try and change the multitude of minds that have long since closed against him but to take his strengths into account as well as his weaknesses at the very least.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/moreno-attacked-from-all-sides-but-klopp-still-has-faith-0r59dwhxz

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #263 on: August 15, 2016, 07:21:36 pm »

Interesting thing on Arsenal´s first goal yesterday. It happens in Moreno´s area of the pitch and he is caught ahead of play. He is easy to blame there to a lazy pundit. How it comes about though is far more interesting.

We win the ball and try to counter against Arsenal before they can get into their defensive shape. Moreno pushes forward on the left and the ball goes to Henderson on the half space to the right. Henderson loses the ball. Moreno is already ahead of the ball at this point and starts running back. As we were transitioning from defence to attack our shape is a mess and as Henderson (our sitter) was the one giving the ball away, we are badly exposed in the middle with nobody  protecting zone 5. Players move to try and protect these key areas, ball goes to Walcott who scores before Moreno ever has time to get back there.

1. If Moreno is instructed to get forward in our transition phase, is he responsible for being ahead of play or is Klopp?
2. If he isn´t instructed to do so, why would he ALWAYS do so and why would Klopp let it happen?
3. So we have to reasonably assume he is following tactical instructions. Therefore how is he responsible for that goal?

Also, communication between Klavan and Moreno looked a problem all game yesterday. I remember before we equalised, Moreno saw a runner in Klavan´s blindspot and then had to move over and behind him to cover. This left a huge space on our left open which neither Coutinho or Wijnaldum dropped in to fill. Thankfully our pressing stopped someone switching the play into the unmarked player there or it would be 2-0. If it was, Moreno would be blamed again despite him correctly marking the greater threat running from out to in of a central area. The fact that Klavan didn´t see or react to this threat or (I assume) didn´t react to Moreno´s call or Wijnaldum and Coutinho didn´t react to Moreno having to vacate that position completely were all problems. Moreno making that covering run though was not.

Moreno makes stupid, rash decisions at times and Klopp will believe with training he can fix that. Tactically though, he must be following his instructions or he would be shit canned quicker than you can say 'sign Hector please'.

Hey Babu!

First, it was Coutinho who played Lallana (who got stripped by Coquellin and then to Iwobi).  Second, I think we do have a sample size of Moreno getting forward too quickly from the back third --- Villarreal is one and seem to recall a few more (I want to say at Hull 2 years ago as well --- although we tend to blame the one who turns it over --- quite rightly, Moreno just got done conceding a pen....  not the best time to start charging forward). 

Second, whatever Moreno is doing, it is not easily fixed.  As most here suggest, there is a strong psychological component to this particular player which causes repeated and I mean repeated fuck ups in crucial situations.  We all know he is fast.  We all know he is hard.   But the pace comes at a cost as he very quickly gets out of position and exposed.  And his hardness comes at a cost of recklessness.  He should be much better than he is, but he is a bit of a meathead... I call this Napolean's complex --- little guy needs to prove he is man on the pitch.  Well, why he is proving he is a man we are getting scored upon and giving up senseless plays of position and possession.

Time to make a more permanent change... again there are at least 15 plays to point to in his career where one and done should have been enough (and learning takes place).  The evidence suggests it has not and will not.  To have faith in his development is to more information than the informed supporter gets. 
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 07:25:19 pm by Trendisnotdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline newrosswaterford

• Kopite
« Reply #264 on: August 15, 2016, 07:22:53 pm »

Seems simple enough to me. Good post. Saying that Henderson looks a bit lost defending the box, clearly a better presser than reader of the game from the middle.

I had to laugh at Neville's commentry at the first. Failed manager talks shit on Sky Sports. Ha who knew.

Moreno needs to calm down a little, once he does he will be a very good player. Alba and Alves had similar problems.

Offline N0rnIr0nRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #265 on: August 15, 2016, 07:23:27 pm »
Nice article by Tony Barrett on Times about Moreno .As usual common sense article from him when most media are going for ridiculous hyperbole.Q quoting just a part of it as its behind paywall
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/moreno-attacked-from-all-sides-but-klopp-still-has-faith-0r59dwhxz

You see he has a redeeming feature in that he is useful going forwards.

Problem is if we are using him as an attacking outlet we need him to be at least adequate when tracking back and being a defender.

He isn't good enough as a left back. Period.
"I usually have a second pair of glasses but I can't find them because it's hard to find glasses without glasses!" Jürgen Klopp

Offline GOD-9

• Biff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robert Bernard Fowler
« Reply #266 on: August 15, 2016, 07:24:07 pm »
People are acting like it’s Moreno’s fault that we conceded 3 goals, but he wasn’t at fault for a single one of them.

Where do you even start with this ?   :butt

Youll Never Walk Alone

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #267 on: August 15, 2016, 07:24:12 pm »
He's a battler, he's got talent, he's a speed merchant, Real Madrid want him.

It's up to Klopp to teach him to defend.

Kill the humourless

Offline Isaacsways

• Anny Roader
« Reply #268 on: August 15, 2016, 07:26:04 pm »
Klopp clearly don't agree with most of you and thankfully he's the one in charge. We have the money and no one in the world can't tell me we can't find a LB if Moreno is as bad as you all make out yet until this point we haven't.

When we're using Milner as a makeshift left back when he's fit again that'll tell you all what Klopp thinks of Moreno

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #269 on: August 15, 2016, 07:26:10 pm »
He's just brainless with no composure.

The witch hunt is boring though.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Isaacsways

• Anny Roader
« Reply #270 on: August 15, 2016, 07:26:44 pm »
He's a battler, he's got talent, he's a speed merchant, Real Madrid want him.

It's up to Klopp to teach him to defend.

Real Madrid want him?

Offline BeautifulGame91

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: August 15, 2016, 07:29:31 pm »
You see he has a redeeming feature in that he is useful going forwards.

Problem is if we are using him as an attacking outlet we need him to be at least adequate when tracking back and being a defender.

He isn't good enough as a left back. Period.

Tracking back isn't a major issue .Most attacking left backs leave space behind and have issues tracking back.And with the way we play it's natural our full backs will be caught out of positions at times .

His major issue for me is his brain freezes and the stupid challenges he commits inside the box.

Either way I would prefer him to be replaced as much as anyone else.But if Klopp thinks he is good enough and should be persisted with then that's good enough for me .He then deserves time and no point complaining .End of debate .

I just posted that article becoz it was a very sensible article rather than usual hyperbole.

Offline dotheoffski

• Anny Roader
« Reply #272 on: August 15, 2016, 07:29:40 pm »
Moreno just cannot defend.  He ball watches and does not concentrate on his man.  Then lunges in unnecessarily,  he does not need our support but needs to learn the basics of defending.  It is so frustrating to watch.

He may of not been to blame for the first goal but was very lucky two were not lost due to mistakes by him prior to this.  A left back is no use if he cannot defend.

To sum it up he tackles with his left foot by going across his body when people go inside him on his right side, this is ludicrous for a professional footballer.

I think some people need to stop making excuses for him.  he's young...he's been playing professionally for a number of years now.  He will get better, no he wont, there is simply no evidence to prove he is learning.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #273 on: August 15, 2016, 07:31:48 pm »
Considering Milner was likely to start at left back if he was fit doesn't suggest Klopp wants one full back to bomb forward or that Moreno is following tactics because there's no way Milner pushes up as early as Moreno did.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline SC04OCT

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #274 on: August 15, 2016, 07:32:29 pm »
Where do you even start with this ?   :butt

What?

He wasn't, was he?

Offline lessthanmatt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: August 15, 2016, 07:34:34 pm »
Moreno just cannot defend.  He ball watches and does not concentrate on his man.  Then lunges in unnecessarily,  he does not need our support but needs to learn the basics of defending.  It is so frustrating to watch.

He may of not been to blame for the first goal but was very lucky two were not lost due to mistakes by him prior to this.  A left back is no use if he cannot defend.

To sum it up he tackles with his left foot by going across his body when people go inside him on his right side, this is ludicrous for a professional footballer.

I think some people need to stop making excuses for him.  he's young...he's been playing professionally for a number of years now.  He will get better, no he wont, there is simply no evidence to prove he is learning.

If he could just learn positioning and not to lunge in, he could be solid. The latter seems like it would be a relatively quick habit to break. Positioning, though - it's hard to see him improving on that any time soon.
"I want to get off Mr. Rodgers Wild Ride"

Offline N0rnIr0nRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #276 on: August 15, 2016, 07:36:13 pm »
Considering Milner was likely to start at left back if he was fit doesn't suggest Klopp wants one full back to bomb forward or that Moreno is following tactics because there's no way Milner pushes up as early as Moreno did.

Milner doesn't have the pace in him anymore to push that fast that early on the counter :lmao

Seriously though I would have James Milner at LB when fit. Not ideal at all, I want a left Back to be playing left back. When does Gomez return from injury? He had a real good head of composure on him from what I saw at the start of last season.

Offline BeautifulGame91

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: August 15, 2016, 07:38:11 pm »
There was nothing to suggest Milner was likely to start if he was fit .

If anything the quotes  where that he was considered as back up

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #278 on: August 15, 2016, 07:40:14 pm »
If he could just learn positioning and not to lunge in, he could be solid. The latter seems like it would be a relatively quick habit to break. Positioning, though - it's hard to see him improving on that any time soon.

Is his positioning bad though? As has been pointed out he's instructed to bomb on at any opportunity - he wouldn't still be doing it if he hadn't. If you ask full backs to play high they're going to get caught up the pitch it just comes with the territory.
His positioning is actually pretty decent when our defence is set isn't it?

The worry that his psycological flaws can't be coached out is the bigger one for me. Not sure what you do with a 24 year old who can't stay on his feet because he thinks the only way to defend is to jump in. It's really weird because you can't imagine he hasn't been told

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #279 on: August 15, 2016, 07:40:44 pm »
Milner doesn't have the pace in him anymore to push that fast that early on the counter :lmao

Seriously though I would have James Milner at LB when fit. Not ideal at all, I want a left Back to be playing left back. When does Gomez return from injury? He had a real good head of composure on him from what I saw at the start of last season.
Gomez isn't a left back either though, he'd mainly played right back and centre back when we signed him but Rodgers started him at left back.

My biggest concern about playing Milner or Gomez left back is that they're both right footed and it takes away that ability to cross first time accurately (although Milner is pretty good for a righty).
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."