Author Topic: Team Analysis: Jürgen Klopp’s Liverpool Tactics (*)  (Read 934069 times)

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Team Analysis: Jürgen Klopp’s Liverpool Tactics (*)
« Reply #7000 on: April 13, 2018, 10:23:06 pm »
Reckon Klopp gives Lallana another season to prove himself again?

Surely if he does start next season like this we should  consider selling in Jan. He's on high wages and contributing nothing as sturridge is.

for sure he will give him another season. that said - Lallana's age profile and injuries will give him very little rope with Klopp next season.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7001 on: April 14, 2018, 05:58:01 am »
we're actually so fucking good
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7002 on: April 14, 2018, 02:07:53 pm »
Reckon Klopp gives Lallana another season to prove himself again?

Surely if he does start next season like this we should  consider selling in Jan. He's on high wages and contributing nothing as sturridge is.

Another season to “prove himself”?  I would say that Lallana doesn’t need to “prove himself” at this point.  The only reason he hasn’t contributed anything this year is because of the injuries, one of which was caused by rushing him back too soon.  I don’t think there is anyway that he’s not an important member of the squad next year. 

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7003 on: April 14, 2018, 02:23:41 pm »
Another season to “prove himself”?  I would say that Lallana doesn’t need to “prove himself” at this point.  The only reason he hasn’t contributed anything this year is because of the injuries, one of which was caused by rushing him back too soon.  I don’t think there is anyway that he’s not an important member of the squad next year. 

We'll see, but I suspect Lallana isn't as ’safe’ as we assume. Can, Milner, Henderson, AOC and Wijnaldum have all played more than him and we are getting Keita too. Lallana may still be a member of the squad next season, but the importance is something he will have to justify.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #7004 on: April 14, 2018, 02:30:42 pm »
We'll see, but I suspect Lallana isn't as ’safe’ as we assume. Can, Milner, Henderson, AOC and Wijnaldum have all played more than him and we are getting Keita too. Lallana may still be a member of the squad next season, but the importance is something he will have to justify.
And Lallana has been better than pretty much all of those. I cant see him not being a squad member at the very least  next season.
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #7005 on: April 14, 2018, 02:49:24 pm »

Not sure that is true. It is more just the nature of long term injuries that on the path to recover there will be stumbles and further falls.

Lallana wasn't rushed back, by all accounts we were very cautious and even held him back at times for his own good. However at his age, having done very little running in the past 6 months, breaking down when he returns is a very real and normal scenario regardless of how long you give the muscle to recover. A part of it could very well be Lallana needing to adjust to the fact his body can no longer do what he wants it to do. We saw the same with Lucas too.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #7006 on: April 14, 2018, 03:08:31 pm »

Next year is his last here I reckon.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Suareznumber7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7007 on: April 14, 2018, 04:38:00 pm »
Not sure that is true. It is more just the nature of long term injuries that on the path to recover there will be stumbles and further falls.

Lallana wasn't rushed back, by all accounts we were very cautious and even held him back at times for his own good. However at his age, having done very little running in the past 6 months, breaking down when he returns is a very real and normal scenario regardless of how long you give the muscle to recover. A part of it could very well be Lallana needing to adjust to the fact his body can no longer do what he wants it to do. We saw the same with Lucas too.

I’m pretty sure Klopp confirmed that he was played too soon and got re-injured.  Think it was when he made his first comeback to the squad over the winter.  My timing could be off but I’m pretty confident Klopp confirmed it. 

Offline Suareznumber7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7008 on: April 14, 2018, 04:38:40 pm »
Next year is his last here I reckon.

Why do you say that?

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7009 on: April 14, 2018, 04:54:52 pm »
Why do you say that?

age and injuries maybe?

he is almost with injuries for the whole of this season and by next season he is already 30. Pretty sure moving forward Klopp is already looking at alternatives in midfield next season.

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #7010 on: April 15, 2018, 01:23:01 pm »
Noticed something interesting yesterday in our build up play - and don't think it was accidental.

We talked before how in our system there needs to be three at the back. This is usually split CBs and then the #6 drops between them. Napoli have a stay-at-home full back who plays RCB effectively in their build up. Or some sides simply play a back three.

Yesterday I noticed our CB's shifting side to side and one of our #8's (usually Gini, but Ox did occassionally also) was dropping in ball far side. This keeps our best aerially dominant players center in Lovren/VVD, removes the need for the #6 to be good in the air. The downside is of course that one of your #8's is ball far side and on the deepest line of your shape where they are unlikely to influence the game. Imagine next season, for example, would you rather have Ox & Keita fulfilling that role? Or a #6 comfortable dropping between them?

It won't show up on the heat maps because they were not picking up much if any touches back there as they tended to be opposite side of the ball. It was happening though. I will try to get some gif examples of it to show. It was definitely something we have been working on though as you could see one dropping back a bit once the other started moving forward. Henderson had a freer role in midfield - which I mentioned before is better for players who are weaker tactically, like Alli & Pogba, albeit he was roaming in a deeper position than a higher one on the pitch.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 01:24:58 pm by BabuYagu »
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline CowboyKangaroo

• aka WayneSkippy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7011 on: April 15, 2018, 01:30:01 pm »
age and injuries maybe?

he is almost with injuries for the whole of this season and by next season he is already 30. Pretty sure moving forward Klopp is already looking at alternatives in midfield next season.

Yeah, but we can keep a very talented 30 year old as a squad player even if he is injury prone.
shut up clown. Naby Keita can buy your life and throw it away.

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #7012 on: April 15, 2018, 01:46:14 pm »
age and injuries maybe?

Maybe it was throwaway but listening to the way klopp was speaking about Gini as the 6 before the City away game had me thinking that there's only chamberlain at the club who'd fit his ideal makeup of a midfielder who plays on the sides of the 433. That would leave me thinking that the likes of Lallana will gradually fade into the background of this team.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #7013 on: April 15, 2018, 02:18:26 pm »

Yesterday I noticed our CB's shifting side to side and one of our #8's (usually Gini, but Ox did occassionally also) was dropping in ball far side. This keeps our best aerially dominant players center in Lovren/VVD, removes the need for the #6 to be good in the air. The downside is of course that one of your #8's is ball far side and on the deepest line of your shape where they are unlikely to influence the game. Imagine next season, for example, would you rather have Ox & Keita fulfilling that role? Or a #6 comfortable dropping between them?

Was it both sides that the 8 dropped in?

Might have been to position as cover for the wide defender after the cross field ball from the opposition...

As well as Trent played against City, he almost always had cover on the inside toward which he ushered Sane...

Klopp/Krawietz might have decided to use quicker midfield players as cover in that situation rather than central defenders while simultaneously keeping the better aerial players more centrally positioned, as you noted...

Ox and Gini are also both quite mobile and capable of pinching in weak side then getting forward to support the attack after we win back possession...

Would be interested in the gifs...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #7014 on: April 15, 2018, 02:41:46 pm »
Anyone else think Lascelles would be a good long term partner to Van Dijk?
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #7015 on: April 15, 2018, 02:43:22 pm »

No.

We've got enough centre backs to be getting on with and I'd rather see Gomez get an opportunity before we go and spend more money on the position. 

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7016 on: April 15, 2018, 02:51:10 pm »
Ox and Keita on both sides of the 6 is a mouth-watering thought no? now who is the 6 going to be? I would be ok with Wini maybe Henderson playing there against the low-block teams. They would never dare leave their half. But to play against elite teams who who should we be looking at?   

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7017 on: April 15, 2018, 03:40:50 pm »
Noticed something interesting yesterday in our build up play - and don't think it was accidental.

We talked before how in our system there needs to be three at the back. This is usually split CBs and then the #6 drops between them. Napoli have a stay-at-home full back who plays RCB effectively in their build up. Or some sides simply play a back three.

It won't show up on the heat maps because they were not picking up much if any touches back there as they tended to be opposite side of the ball. It was happening though. I will try to get some gif examples of it to show. It was definitely something we have been working on though as you could see one dropping back a bit once the other started moving forward. Henderson had a freer role in midfield - which I mentioned before is better for players who are weaker tactically, like Alli & Pogba, albeit he was roaming in a deeper position than a higher one on the pitch.

I think I'm missing something here. Do you mean when we have the ball? Why would we need to focus on our #6 to be good in the air then? I can understand the benefit with having the CBs in the center of the pitch. We don't want a repeat of what we saw for City's goal last week.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7018 on: April 15, 2018, 03:54:12 pm »
I liked Henderson's role yesterday. Seemed a bit more attacking. He's very good at those diagonal cross/long passes that land around the penalty spot. He created a fair few chances and Mane's goal if I recall.

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7019 on: April 15, 2018, 04:26:59 pm »

I was going to ask in this thread how folk saw our midfield operating yesterday. It seemed more dynamic, attack-wise. Henderson seemed freer and more aggressive and vertical (is that the word ?). Gini covered, side to side,wherever he was needed and (to me) seemed to sweep up allover the place. Get the ball and serve it to the providers. As for Ox, he too seemed to roam and really attacked from the middle. It brought a live threat from the middle and could have created more danger from the front as the opposition had to now deal with this as well as the chaos merchants up front.
I would assume this relates to the opposition as well and also that it is a degree of change rather than a new policy. Any thoughts?

Offline Magix

• Partial to Tarts
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just 5 points away
« Reply #7020 on: April 15, 2018, 04:57:01 pm »
The sheer mobility and movement of yesterday's midfield seems to suggest this is one of the ways we'll get round the low block or teams bus-parking at Anfield.

Online peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7021 on: April 15, 2018, 05:16:16 pm »
I liked Henderson's role yesterday. Seemed a bit more attacking. He's very good at those diagonal cross/long passes that land around the penalty spot. He created a fair few chances and Mane's goal if I recall.

Those crosses are far more dangerous than Mo just sending in an in-swinger when we have a corner that side. Obviously we can't do it every time as teams will get wise to it but if teams aren't going to cut it off we should just keep working that ball to Henderson to put it.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7022 on: April 15, 2018, 06:34:44 pm »
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but our high line defending free kicks is unbelievably effective which the whole team deserves credit for because it takes proper guts. It relies on every single player refusing to drop any deeper before the ball is played but we have managed to master it. I can’t remember such a situation not resulting in an offside over the last 10 matches.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #7023 on: April 15, 2018, 06:36:10 pm »
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but our high line defending free kicks is unbelievably effective which the whole team deserves credit for because it takes proper guts. It relies on every single player refusing to drop any deeper before the ball is played but we have managed to master it. I can’t remember such a situation not resulting in an offside over the last 10 matches.

The defence has been really switch on over the past few months with offside calls in general.  We rarely seem to get caught out these days.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7024 on: April 15, 2018, 06:56:11 pm »
Ox and Keita on both sides of the 6 is a mouth-watering thought no? now who is the 6 going to be? I would be ok with Wini maybe Henderson playing there against the low-block teams. They would never dare leave their half. But to play against elite teams who who should we be looking at?

From the players linked I think Jorginho is a great option, will nit be cheap but he's superb on the ball and would elevate how well we move the ball

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #7025 on: April 15, 2018, 07:04:01 pm »
I reckon we might go back for zielinski though....

We were very interested and he’s done very well in Italy...

We do tend to keep our eye on players...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7026 on: April 15, 2018, 07:19:48 pm »

Disagree, think we will sign a higher caliber player than that.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #7027 on: April 15, 2018, 08:01:54 pm »
From the players linked I think Jorginho is a great option, will nit be cheap but he's superb on the ball and would elevate how well we move the ball

Yesterday’s midfield had the look of a fluid trio of 8s more than we have seen before. Jorginho may fit into that even better than as a 6. Him (or another), Keita, Hendo, Gini, Ox and possibly Milner will give us some interesting options for a midfield three whether against bus parkers or the Man Citys of the world.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #7028 on: April 15, 2018, 08:45:39 pm »

i thought he was playing as an 8 with wee gini anchoring MF as the 6 which might explain the tactical shift at the back babu pointed out.

hendo definitely looked good against bournemouth.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #7029 on: April 15, 2018, 08:47:19 pm »

great defensive numbers as well as attacking flair which seems very klopp.  can't see him being cheap though as deal runs to 2021.

but do we need to be thinking about signing more brits this window with some of our older MFs perhaps coming to the end of their cycle?

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #7030 on: April 15, 2018, 08:49:25 pm »
Yesterday’s midfield had the look of a fluid trio of 8s more than we have seen before. Jorginho may fit into that even better than as a 6. Him (or another), Keita, Hendo, Gini, Ox and possibly Milner will give us some interesting options for a midfield three whether against bus parkers or the Man Citys of the world.

jorginho started out as an 8 and wears that shirt for napoli so very much on message.

Offline aka_da_saus

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • follow me on twitter @aka_da_saus
« Reply #7031 on: April 15, 2018, 08:49:47 pm »
great defensive numbers as well as attacking flair which seems very klopp.  can't see him being cheap though as deal runs to 2021.

but do we need to be thinking about signing more brits this window with some of our older MFs perhaps coming to the end of their cycle?
prob one of the reasons why James Maddison on our radar (rumoured)
we hate nottingham forest
we hate everton 2 THERE SHIT
we hate man united
but liverpool we love u
all together now

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #7032 on: April 15, 2018, 08:55:35 pm »
prob one of the reasons why James Maddison on our radar (rumoured)

he reads well in the papers but i've never seen him play - any good?

Offline nico 8

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7033 on: April 15, 2018, 08:59:19 pm »

What you have noticed is something I suggested when discussing Jorginho and his weakness in the air. When he pushes up, Gini drops back into his position. Maybe not between and splitting the CB's. Could it be whichever side the no. 6 pushes into that no.8 drops back to play on the left or right as the last part of a 3rd CB.

Offline aka_da_saus

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • follow me on twitter @aka_da_saus
« Reply #7034 on: April 15, 2018, 08:59:41 pm »
he reads well in the papers but i've never seen him play - any good?
only going by you tube myself !
we hate nottingham forest
we hate everton 2 THERE SHIT
we hate man united
but liverpool we love u
all together now

Offline nico 8

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7035 on: April 15, 2018, 09:07:38 pm »

If or when WBA go down - any thoughts on Salah's Egyptian teammate, Hegazi at CB and the Polish no.6/ defensive midfielder in Krychowiak.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 09:28:37 pm by nico 8 »

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #7036 on: April 15, 2018, 09:11:30 pm »

It's close but I think we're definitely better now?
:D

Offline slotmachine

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7037 on: April 15, 2018, 09:57:36 pm »
Christian Eriksen is the player we need to replace Phil. He is double digits in goals and assists every season. A top notch free-kick taker and is superb shooting with either foot. He would be excellent on either side in the front 3 and also can really play in the midfield 3 and would be an excellent lock-picker similar to Citys Silva's and DeBruyne. He as always had the quality on the ball from when he was at Ajax but i always thought he was a bit of a show pony but over the last 3 years under Pocchetino his work rate and is tactical awareness without the ball have been excellent and for me he is now a complete player. He has only 2 years left on is deal at 70k a week so Levy is going to have to offer a new contract with a significant increase in wages which leaves Spurs vulnerable to a big bid which they would have to accept because the players value only decreases inside the last 2 years. I would easily pay 50 to 60m to have someone like that.

I also like Lemar but i would prefer Eriksen and while their is no indication by the usual sources that Klopp is interested just think he would be perfect as a creative force in our squad. Its going to be interesting to see who Klopp gets to replace Emre and Phil. Lemar, Jorginho, Zielinski, Draxler Brandt and Pulisic have all been on our radar since Klopp took over. Will he go back in for any of these?

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7038 on: April 15, 2018, 10:01:40 pm »
Christian Eriksen is the player we need to replace Phil. He is double digits in goals and assists every season. A top notch free-kick taker and is superb shooting with either foot. He would be excellent on either side in the front 3 and also can really play in the midfield 3 and would be an excellent lock-picker similar to Citys Silva's and DeBruyne. He as always had the quality on the ball from when he was at Ajax but i always thought he was a bit of a show pony but over the last 3 years under Pocchetino his work rate and is tactical awareness without the ball have been excellent and for me he is now a complete player. He has only 2 years left on is deal at 70k a week so Levy is going to have to offer a new contract with a significant increase in wages which leaves Spurs vulnerable to a big bid which they would have to accept because the players value only decreases inside the last 2 years. I would easily pay 50 to 60m to have someone like that.

I also like Lemar but i would prefer Eriksen and while their is no indication by the usual sources that Klopp is interested just think he would be perfect as a creative force in our squad. Its going to be interesting to see who Klopp gets to replace Emre and Phil. Lemar, Jorginho, Zielinski, Draxler Brandt and Pulisic have all been on our radar since Klopp took over. Will he go back in for any of these?

There is absolutely zero chance of us signing Eriksen.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #7039 on: April 15, 2018, 10:02:24 pm »
I would easily pay 50 to 60m to have someone like that.

Given it's Daniel Levy, I'd probably add another £30-40m to that.

And even then, Levy is not selling a player like Eriksen to us.