Author Topic: Joël Matip (Job Joël André Matip)  (Read 539367 times)

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Re: Welcome to Liverpool, Joel Matip!
« Reply #720 on: November 21, 2016, 01:50:11 pm »
Just read this on twitter and after youtubing the song (I'm too cool to know it), I'm fully behind this.

We've got a center haaaaalf
His name is Joel Mateeeeep
He comes from Camerooooon
And he plays it, into feet
-Adele, Rolling in the Deep

I'm all in on this.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #721 on: November 21, 2016, 02:25:08 pm »
I'm all in on this.

Had it in my head for 24 hours. And I do not care for Adeles music.

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #722 on: November 21, 2016, 02:32:39 pm »
Much as I do like it, he doesn't actually come from Camerooooon.  ;D

Half his geeeeenes do, but there's bound to be a killer line just waiting to be discovered for that bit. Would also probably be the first good song in ages, properly singable by a bunch of highly unmusical footy fans, that's based on a modern track. If only for that reason alone, I'm onboard.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #723 on: November 21, 2016, 02:37:07 pm »
When I grow up, I want to be Joel Matip.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline rhylred

• Here, There and Everywhere Bar Hull City.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #724 on: November 21, 2016, 02:40:13 pm »
Love the song,love the player,one of the best individual performances I've seen for a very long time on Saturday....

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #725 on: November 21, 2016, 02:50:15 pm »
If I may, I'd like to propose "he's six foot fucking fiiiiive" as an alternative 3rd line  :D

And if you wanna have it fit exactly with the original song's chorus, just add "in his socks" onto it.

Would be fucking amazing if half the crowd were doing the "You're gona wish you / never had met us" backing bits!  8)
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline greyfade

• "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe....."
  • Legacy Fan
  • ★★★★★
« Reply #726 on: November 21, 2016, 03:30:56 pm »
Firmino, Matip, Can.

All three top quality signings, Karius and Klavan too early to judge. I wouldn't mind if we only signed Bundesliga players from now on :D

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #727 on: November 21, 2016, 07:34:58 pm »
Firmino, Matip, Can.

All three top quality signings, Karius and Klavan too early to judge. I wouldn't mind if we only signed Bundesliga players from now on :D

Funny, I came in here just to say that while I have a full-bore man crush on Ragnar Klavan (so functional, from his play to his haircut) he's kinda been forgotten behind the star man that is Dirk Diggler.....errrrr, I mean big Joel- the big man is class through and through.

Reed Rothchild: Want to hear a poem I wrote? "I love you, you love me. Going down the sugar tree. We'll go down the sugar tree, and see lots of bees: playing, playing. But the bees won't sting, because you love me." That's it.
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #728 on: November 21, 2016, 08:33:42 pm »
I think it's his smile I like the most. There, I said it.

Offline xRedmanLFCx

• Legacy Fan
  • Of the glory, round the fields, of Anfield Road!
« Reply #729 on: November 21, 2016, 10:59:36 pm »
This lad is going from strength to strength. What a signing.
I always said we had the best two teams on Merseyside… Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #730 on: November 22, 2016, 12:47:08 am »
Big test for him on the weekend against Anichebe, will be interesting to see how he handles the physical challenge.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #731 on: November 22, 2016, 08:27:15 am »
Big test for him on the weekend against Anichebe, will be interesting to see how he handles the physical challenge.
"Big test"?

Having pocketed Kane, Costa, Zlatan, Benteke, Deeney, Austin, already this season, I hardly doubt he'll be having issues with the mighty Anichebe

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #732 on: November 22, 2016, 08:30:28 am »

:D he's one of the worst to ever play the game! He's been playing out wide for them anyway apparently.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #733 on: November 22, 2016, 12:17:35 pm »
Are you Ron Manager?

I never thought I'd see the words 'Anichebe' and 'big test' together in a sentence that wasn't taking the piss.  ;)
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #734 on: November 22, 2016, 12:21:03 pm »
^Nailed on ags now  :)

Matip has been imperious so far

Offline Carlito Roberto

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #735 on: November 22, 2016, 01:51:18 pm »
Big test indeed.

On the plus side we should thank our lucky stars they no longer have Jozy Altidore.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #736 on: November 22, 2016, 02:08:40 pm »
Big test indeed.

On the plus side we should thank our lucky stars they no longer have Jozy Altidore.
"Big" test ::)

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #737 on: November 22, 2016, 03:49:58 pm »
Haha seeing the likes of Skrtel bullied by the big CF has left me shook but Anichebe will provide a different test in terms of strength. David Moyes described Anichebe in the same breath as Drogba and that man is a football genius he knows what he's on about.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #738 on: November 22, 2016, 06:15:46 pm »
"Big test"?

Having pocketed Kane, Costa, Zlatan, Benteke, Deeney, Austin, already this season, I hardly doubt he'll be having issues with the mighty Anichebe
Shut up shut up shut up  :D

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #739 on: November 22, 2016, 06:45:57 pm »
Shut up shut up shut up  :D

exactly, watch him get a hat trick now :P

Offline Desert Red Fox

• Legacy Fan
  • Orange and Red!
« Reply #740 on: November 22, 2016, 08:56:14 pm »
He doesn't know who Alan Hansen is, get rid ASAP!

Just kidding (obviously), but I'm sure some people will take offense to that -of all the things- instead of focusing on all the good things about Matip on that interview. Such a cool guy - does his job with minimal fuss and maximum efficiency.

Offline King Klopp.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Doubter To Believer.
  • Super Title: And back to Doubter
« Reply #741 on: November 22, 2016, 09:09:44 pm »
It is a bit weird that he hasn't heard of Hansen. The clubs greatest ever CB. You'd have thought he'd have at least heard of him if he had done any research about the club whatsoever but he obviously hasn't. A little disappointing because personally I like to think the current players value and learn about the traditions of the club etc but ultimately means very little. He's absolutely boss on the field and that's all that matters.

Think it does show however that our history means pretty much fuck all when you are trying to sign players. The greatest CB in one of the most dominant teams in the history of elite level football anywhere in Europe and Matip hadn't even heard of him.

And on a side note, nice to hear him talk about Lovren in positive terms again. Really uilding a good partnership between them.
Believe

Offline simbo

• Kopite
« Reply #742 on: November 22, 2016, 09:19:45 pm »
"Big test"?

[/b]

The players you over look are the ones who cause you the most problems

Offline KingKolo

• usernamechangefullcirclejerk
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #743 on: November 22, 2016, 10:15:03 pm »
He doesn't know who Alan Hansen is
Ugh man, that is fucking depressing. I must be getting old if it's becoming ok for footballers to be coming out with shit like that.

Love him as a player though, obviously.

Offline Desert Red Fox

• Legacy Fan
  • Orange and Red!
« Reply #744 on: November 22, 2016, 10:42:09 pm »
Ugh man, that is fucking depressing. I must be getting old if it's becoming ok for footballers to be coming out with shit like that.

Love him as a player though, obviously.

I think it's an easily solvable problem, in any case. Nothing that a crash-course on Liverpool's last title winning season can't fix ;D

On the other hand, I also think it's a bit of an expected problem with people around my age (born during the late 80s or early 90s) - we never saw Liverpool being dominant while we grew up (except, maybe, winning the Champions on '05, but eventhat could be argued as a David-against-Goliath in terms of actual squad depth and kwalitee) thus every reference to LFC's glorious history is always... well, always in reference to the past. And for a guy that didn't grow up supporting LFC probably the first things that come to mind when asked about the club are Istanbul, Gerrard and maybe Suarez - it's all "recent" history, why should he care about Hansen, or Barnes, or Yeats, or Hughes when he wasn't even born when they were dominating everything on their path? So if you (not you personally) reply "well, he should read up on the club's history a bit after signing up so he doesn't come out with daft statements like that", then I agree but also refer to my first point: it's something easily solvable. It shouldn't be that way, but I guess the long decline of the club after the glory years had some nasty lasting impact on its image for people -like me- who aren't even from England.

Anyway, I'm rambling, so I apologize for that ;D

Offline RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #745 on: November 23, 2016, 01:03:24 am »
When Torres arrived we locked him in a hotel room for a couple of days (I think we may not yet have finalised the agreement with Atletico) and gave him books and DVDs of Liverpool's past to read and watch. He said that was a big factor in his understanding the club.

Course he already had the armband and all, so he would have been a step ahead of Joel in his LFC knowledge to begin with, I guess.

Offline vinothmct

• Kopite
« Reply #746 on: November 23, 2016, 06:04:20 am »
When Torres arrived we locked him in a hotel room for a couple of days (I think we may not yet have finalised the agreement with Atletico) and gave him books and DVDs of Liverpool's past to read and watch. He said that was a big factor in his understanding the club.

Course he already had the armband and all, so he would have been a step ahead of Joel in his LFC knowledge to begin with, I guess.

I very much doubt even Klopp cars much about what happened before. He said something along this lines in his first interview "History should be kept in backpocket it doesn't help me now. I'm more focussed on creating a new era of success" Something like this. I really feel he is right .

Lets win the Title soon and talk about current players how good they are .. Talk of barnes can remain in history boards of how good they are etc

Offline Frizzo

• Having a Bad Hair Life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #747 on: November 23, 2016, 06:46:41 am »
He doesn't know who Alan Hansen is, get rid ASAP!

Just kidding (obviously), but I'm sure some people will take offense to that -of all the things- instead of focusing on all the good things about Matip on that interview. Such a cool guy - does his job with minimal fuss and maximum efficiency.
Lol...then lo and behold the very next post.

He's a young fucking kid from another country, coming from playing football in yet another country.

He'll learn about the club while he's here. People expecting him to research the history of players from the club from decades ago before he plays for us? Lol.

Lol.

Lol.

Offline the good half

• these days is hard to find so please be gentle with this half of mine
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #748 on: November 23, 2016, 07:59:32 am »
This just means he can only improve.
He'll pop into the club shop and buy a load of DVDs with Jocky in his pomp.
Make a few notes.

Be like being in a band; then someone giving you a Beatles album for the first time. can only help.

Offline KingKolo

• usernamechangefullcirclejerk
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #749 on: November 23, 2016, 10:02:36 am »
People expecting him to research the history of players from the club from decades ago before he plays for us? Lol.
Totally agree.

I'm just gutted to be getting to an age where major players of my childhood are unknown to players of today.
I'm closer in age to many of the pundits these days... :)

Offline Frizzo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #750 on: November 23, 2016, 10:11:11 am »
Totally agree.

I'm just gutted to be getting to an age where major players of my childhood are unknown to players of today.
I'm closer in age to many of the pundits these days... :)
Hahah yeah I got your post and completely understand the sentiment :)

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #751 on: November 23, 2016, 10:11:58 am »
Lol...then lo and behold the very next post.

He's a young fucking kid from another country, coming from playing football in yet another country.

He's from Germany. Your point stands, of course.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Frizzo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #752 on: November 23, 2016, 10:13:55 am »
He's from Germany. Your point stands, of course.
My mistake. Assumed he was born in Cameroon.

I'm a bit of a disgrace not knowing simple things about the next Alan Hansen :D

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #753 on: November 23, 2016, 10:15:50 am »
My mistake. Assumed he was born in Cameroon.

I'm a bit of a disgrace not knowing simple things about the next Alan Hansen :D

I bet Karius knows all about Elisha Scott. And you should hear Firmino talk about Albert Stubbins...
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #754 on: November 23, 2016, 11:57:41 am »
What a buy from Klopp, finally we have a proper centre back!
Believer

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #755 on: November 23, 2016, 12:19:47 pm »
It is a bit weird that he hasn't heard of Hansen. The clubs greatest ever CB. You'd have thought he'd have at least heard of him if he had done any research about the club whatsoever but he obviously hasn't. A little disappointing because personally I like to think the current players value and learn about the traditions of the club etc but ultimately means very little. He's absolutely boss on the field and that's all that matters.

That's old hat mate, he may know that Liverpool have strong history and whatnot and appreciate that and the feel around the club but he's not gonna know the squads of yesteryear like we do, he wasn't even born when Hansen was last at Liverpool I believe.

As long as he comes in and does a job and is a proper professional, I am happy and he seems to be doing that so happy days.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #756 on: November 23, 2016, 12:22:54 pm »
I bet Karius knows all about Elisha Scott. And you should hear Firmino talk about Albert Stubbins...

Would he know about Sepp Maier though?  ;D

Seriously though, I think it has to do being from another country but mostly down to being a bit of football crazy and eager to know football history.

Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #757 on: November 23, 2016, 01:30:55 pm »
The way he moves on the ball. A centre back who is as smooth as silk. We've seen that at Liverpool before.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #758 on: November 23, 2016, 02:47:15 pm »
Signing of the season so far for me.

Exudes calmness at the back and throughout the team.

Lets the rest of the lads confidently get on with scoring shit loads of goals.

Vital cog already.

Offline redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
« Reply #759 on: November 23, 2016, 04:03:00 pm »

Think it does show however that our history means pretty much fuck all when you are trying to sign players. The greatest CB in one of the most dominant teams in the history of elite level football anywhere in Europe and Matip hadn't even heard of him.

And on a side note, nice to hear him talk about Lovren in positive terms again. Really uilding a good partnership between them.

I think it's an age thing.

How many Reds born after 1990 know who Klaus Augenthaler was?

A defender, libero, and medal winner extraordinary.

https://fcbayern.com/en/club/hall-of-fame/klaus-augenthaler
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 04:10:30 pm by redtel »
We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!