Author Topic: Joël Matip (Job Joël André Matip)  (Read 538660 times)

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I miss you Digger, even more than Peter Thommo
Re: Welcome to Liverpool, Joel Matip!
« Reply #360 on: September 17, 2016, 10:50:34 am »
That was Sturridge, wasn't it?

Yes it was.
Hang your head in shame El Lobo  ;D

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #361 on: September 17, 2016, 10:56:45 am »
Nah it was defo Matip :D

Everyone had cleared up the pitch
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline lucas65

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #362 on: September 17, 2016, 11:32:46 am »
The new Hansen more like.

Let's hope, he does have ability and calmness on the ball but early days. Great start though and a bargain too. What's not to like?:)

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #363 on: September 17, 2016, 11:55:45 am »

Good call.  He's made a seriously impressive start.

Offline JimmyGrunt

• Transgender Asylum Seeker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #364 on: September 17, 2016, 11:57:58 am »
Its very early, but he looks like he has everything.
PSN ID = JimmyGrunt

Yea mate just put your sky box on top of the fridge, put an egg in the microwave then wave your satalite dish around on the roof worked for me lad.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #365 on: September 17, 2016, 01:42:03 pm »
So far he's easily on par with John Stone as a ball playing defender. Apart from a sliding tackle in the penalty box, everything else he did last night was excellent.

I rather Joel's defensive qualities too!  Far calmer than Stones is so far in defence.

All the money spent on central defenders this summer, the like of Stones, Luiz, Bailly, Mustafi, I am very happy with Liverpool's decision to go with Matip, as he already looks so classy.

Offline emrolfc

• Kemlynite
  • i have a good mentality
« Reply #366 on: September 17, 2016, 02:53:48 pm »
Agree, that's a good shout.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #367 on: September 17, 2016, 03:07:12 pm »
Him and milner free signings. Boss.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #368 on: September 17, 2016, 03:10:22 pm »
Too early to really make a call but he has looked very impressive so far. Could go onto become a legend.
#JFT97

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #369 on: September 17, 2016, 03:26:02 pm »
Think he's brilliant, liked what I saw of him when he was Schalke and he's settled in at Liverpool superbly.  Getting him on a free transfer looks an outstanding bit of business by the club.

He and Lovren look a very promising partnership.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #370 on: September 17, 2016, 03:32:49 pm »
Reading this thread thinking 'wonder what the posts would have been if he'd still done that on the goal but we'd lost 1-0'.... nothing to do with Matip ... just musing on the nature of forums

Offline TheSpionKopNC

• Main Stander
  • Boom
« Reply #371 on: September 17, 2016, 03:44:19 pm »
Had a great game yesterday imo....take away the slide for the Costa goal, and very few mistakes.  Should've stayed on his feet for that one...don't think Matic had that many clear options to cut back to.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #372 on: September 17, 2016, 04:43:02 pm »
I hope him and Lovren play on tuesday to be honest. We need the two to get games under their belt together and keep increasing their understanding.

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #373 on: September 17, 2016, 06:06:44 pm »
One thing that stands out for me (in addition to his calmness) is how everything he does has purpose. When heading the ball, it's usually a cushioned header to a team mate, or an angled (and targeted) header to keep possession - he doesn't just go for height and distance to clear his lines. Similarly, when under pressure with the ball at his feet, he rarely (if ever) clears the ball up field to no-one in particular - it's always about keeping possession and keeping the ball away from danger.

So often we see defenders that clear the ball randomly only see it come straight back again and invite pressure, but Matip is one of those rare defensive players that is already thinking about where his team mates are when the ball comes to him, and seems to have an awareness of space and timing that is great to watch.

I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #374 on: September 17, 2016, 06:27:51 pm »
Can't lay the blame solely on him for the goal, think lallana misses tracking their player and fell? And then Henderson seemed to miss tracking their players around him and only looked at the ball.

But Matip overall was great.

I think Lallana tried to track Matic but couldn't get infront of him and so got brushed off the ball, although he should have hacked him down and taken the card. Henderson was probably the main culprit, not sure why he didn't track him given how alert he's been with that side of his game so far this season. Think Matip anticipated an early ball and then pulled out to avoid giving the penalty. Unfortunately one of those that hopefully we begin to crack down on by improving our game management first and foremost.

Love that he's not afraid to play first time passes even if it's on a volley just to keep the pressure up, don't think any of our other defenders can do that.

Offline Magz50

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #375 on: September 17, 2016, 06:30:01 pm »
Quite possibly the best deal of the summer. He's been brilliant so far.

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #376 on: September 18, 2016, 05:25:48 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yYLHm1k4nM

for those who havent seen his highlight reel

Always seems to be a step ahead in the play. A thinking defender that.

Online jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #377 on: September 18, 2016, 06:58:32 am »
Nah it was defo Matip :D

Everyone had cleared up the pitch

It was Sturridge.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #378 on: September 18, 2016, 07:23:49 am »
Reading this thread thinking 'wonder what the posts would have been if he'd still done that on the goal but we'd lost 1-0'.... nothing to do with Matip ... just musing on the nature of forums

Unfortunately just as silly as your post..  ;D
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline SteveZissou

• "Anyone who knows the game..." exactly what game is a mystery. Underwater Bell. The Life A-Twat-Ic. Thinks "irony" means "like metal". Shite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • you might be on B Squad, but ur the B squad leader
« Reply #379 on: September 18, 2016, 08:21:18 am »
Matip and Mane are the game changers. Just a pity about the Afcon.
Following Liverpool since the mid 80s.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #380 on: September 18, 2016, 08:26:04 am »
I think Lallana tried to track Matic but couldn't get infront of him and so got brushed off the ball, although he should have hacked him down and taken the card. Henderson was probably the main culprit, not sure why he didn't track him given how alert he's been with that side of his game so far this season. Think Matip anticipated an early ball and then pulled out to avoid giving the penalty. Unfortunately one of those that hopefully we begin to crack down on by improving our game management first and foremost.

Love that he's not afraid to play first time passes even if it's on a volley just to keep the pressure up, don't think any of our other defenders can do that.

Lallana was in front of Matic ? But went to win the ball of Matic to set us on the attack , than just hold his position and try and block Matic and it seemed to catch us out IMO
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 08:27:46 am by rocco »

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #381 on: September 18, 2016, 08:59:54 am »
Matip and Mane are the game changers. Just a pity about the Afcon.

It doesn't look like Matip is going to the ACON.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #382 on: September 18, 2016, 09:54:23 am »
It was Sturridge.

Sturridge did too :)

But Matip afterwards ran in front of him and did the same.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #383 on: September 24, 2016, 05:07:34 pm »
I apologise for making this comparison but the more I see of this guy the more he looked like Rio Ferdinand (the player) to me - not very huge but tall and strong, good passer of the ball.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline edge

• hill, getting off at...with a dijk still hard...
  • Legacy Fan
  • allright, then..
« Reply #384 on: September 24, 2016, 05:10:00 pm »
I apologise for making this comparison but the more I see of this guy the more he looked like Rio Ferdinand (the player) to me - not very huge but tall and strong, good passer of the ball.

Was thinking that myself, actually.

I'd even argue they look a bit alike.

Offline Durlmints

• Kicks Ass. Categorically denies being the now infamous antihero 'Chris from Wavertree'. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. Who knows? Henry the Mild Mannered Janitor? COULD BEEEE!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mané & Salah, your defence is terrified!
« Reply #385 on: September 24, 2016, 05:13:18 pm »
Was thinking that myself, actually.

I'd even argue they look a bit alike.

Getting ready to merk Rooney in a couple of games time.
Crows attacked a pensioner in Hamburg after she mimicked a crow's call.
You claim a Wagon Wheel is a biscuit and you have the audacity to stick a Kit Kat in goal? You sir are a du

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #386 on: September 24, 2016, 05:14:59 pm »

They have the same leggy running style, it stands out - not in a sakho way - as it looks ungainly but kinda elegant at the same time. Like watching a Giraffe.

Offline IndianRed

• Legacy Fan
  • Derp Derp
« Reply #387 on: September 24, 2016, 05:16:09 pm »
Might be our best summer signing this guy. Like someone fused Agger's ball playing skills with Hyypia's aerial ability and calmness under pressure. And to think of the sums that clubs are quoting for above-average CBs in the market today, its practically a crime that we got this guy for free.

Offline The Mule

• Kalgan's finest
  • Kopite
« Reply #388 on: September 24, 2016, 05:23:05 pm »
Might be our best summer signing this guy. Like someone fused Agger's ball playing skills with Hyypia's aerial ability and calmness under pressure. And to think of the sums that clubs are quoting for above-average CBs in the market today, its practically a crime that we got this guy for free.

This.
The guy is marvelous. So glad we got him.
"Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker."

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #389 on: September 24, 2016, 05:27:32 pm »

Funnily despite us scoring 5 Joel Matip managed to impress me the most tonight,so calm on the ball and that metronomic passing from the back was a sight to behold.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #390 on: September 24, 2016, 05:27:36 pm »
He's quality this lad. I think I've commented something similar after near enough every performance. The cliché would be that a game like today would find him out: a player from a different team coming up against a side that will be physical rather than try and play football. Nah. None of that. Him and Klavan dealt with Hernandez with ease and then obviously after the sending off any threat they had diminished.

He's class and calm on the ball, great in the air and he very rarely loses 50-50's. He didn't command a transfer fee. Let that sink in.

Offline NaivetyinBlack

• Suffers from performative anxiety.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #391 on: September 24, 2016, 05:42:34 pm »
He has a certain arrogance about his defending. Even moreso than Daniel Agger. It's like he invites opposition attacker to come near him, then deftly turns away and passes the ball. Cool as fuck.

Online justsean

• Two goals in his first two minutes of match commentary. Take a bow...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #392 on: September 24, 2016, 05:49:31 pm »
Too early to really make a call but he has looked very impressive so far. Could go onto become a legend.

It's not though mate. It's okay to judge players on other parts of their career before coming to the premier league. He was one of the best defenders in the Bundesliga. Easily a £25m player if he had a 4 year contract with Schalke. But we got him on a free.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #393 on: September 24, 2016, 05:53:42 pm »
He has a certain arrogance about his defending. Even moreso than Daniel Agger. It's like he invites opposition attacker to come near him, then deftly turns away and passes the ball. Cool as fuck.

Too right. I remember reading somewhere that he has a mistake in him, and I can see one or two happening because of his incredible confidence, but if he mostly plays as well as he has so far this season then it's a tradeoff I'm more than willing to take. He's awesome, fast becoming one of my favourite players.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #394 on: September 24, 2016, 05:55:53 pm »
They have the same leggy running style, it stands out - not in a sakho way - as it looks ungainly but kinda elegant at the same time. Like watching a Giraffe.
I think that's what gave me the impression - on the TV from far away he looked to play very similarly to how Ferdinand used to do. In time he might even be trusted to bring the ball up from the back instead of quickly passing it to the next guy.

And there's that presence - he appears on screen and immediately there's a sense of 'big guy' at the back.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline Ste08

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #395 on: September 24, 2016, 06:55:26 pm »
We played a terrific game today. Pace, movement, energy, tempo when we have all that we are unstoppable.

Same again next week.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #396 on: September 24, 2016, 08:17:50 pm »
Check me - he cleared a ball for a corner today and was angry because he thought he should have made it a throw in!! I am sure I saw this.

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I miss you Digger, even more than Peter Thommo
« Reply #397 on: September 24, 2016, 10:57:39 pm »
Check me - he cleared a ball for a corner today and was angry because he thought he should have made it a throw in!! I am sure I saw this.

You're right.

Offline Redinho

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #398 on: September 24, 2016, 11:31:13 pm »
I love him.

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #399 on: September 25, 2016, 09:18:36 am »
Just oozes class, composure and confidence. You kind of feel secure with him back there. Great passer of the ball too and is always looking for the right pass.
YWNA