Author Topic: Westworld - HBO's next thingamajig  (Read 102039 times)

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Westworld - HBO's next thingamajig
« Reply #680 on: May 14, 2018, 07:13:02 am »
I think Episode 4 is my favourite episode of the whole show so far. Just brilliant. Doesn't get any better than the Man in Black.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #681 on: May 14, 2018, 08:14:43 am »
I think Episode 4 is my favourite episode of the whole show so far. Just brilliant. Doesn't get any better than the Man in Black.

Jonathan Tucker is one of my very favorite actors in the world right now and seeing him and Harris go at it was a fucking treat. Phenomenal scene, excellent episode.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #682 on: May 14, 2018, 01:27:25 pm »
Ed Harris is fucking awesome in this.

Spoiler
That girl at the end calling him dad, that was the same one who swam over from India-land away from the tiger, right?
[close]
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #683 on: May 14, 2018, 02:14:42 pm »
Ed Harris is fucking awesome in this.

Spoiler
That girl at the end calling him dad, that was the same one who swam over from India-land away from the tiger, right?
[close]

Correct. I thought it must have been the case at the start of the episode.

I'm loving that this season is as much about the mystery as the first season. I thought this season was going to be much more of a straightforward bloodbath, but we're getting some really interesting new ideas thrown in there. I'm loving that we're getting to see more of younger William. I always thought that if we saw nothing more of him after he became the Man in Black, there would have been a little something missing from his character development.

By the looks of the trailer, we're back with Maeve and Dolores next episode. I must admit I'm finding Maeve about as compelling as I found her in S1, which is to say, not very.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #684 on: May 14, 2018, 10:50:59 pm »
Spoiler
So was that CPU that Ford had Bernard print off to make a host version of Ford???

That was an awesome episode.
[close]
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #685 on: May 14, 2018, 11:17:02 pm »
really enjoyed that this week.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #686 on: May 15, 2018, 12:01:12 am »
Wow. Brilliant from start to finish.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #687 on: May 15, 2018, 12:09:27 am »
Spoiler
So was that CPU that Ford had Bernard print off to make a host version of Ford???

That was an awesome episode.
[close]

Internet speculation below:

Spoiler
Hard to say who he was printing off. The internet speculates that it might be a copy of William. Some even say that William has died at some point in the timeline. That'd be cool if it happens sometime in the next couple of episodes, still in the past (i.e. while on his quest but before Bernard wakes up to find all the bodies in the water, which is the present), and then he rocked up at the end.
[close]

Offline JLStretton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #688 on: May 15, 2018, 12:56:09 am »
Correct. I thought it must have been the case at the start of the episode.

I'm loving that this season is as much about the mystery as the first season. I thought this season was going to be much more of a straightforward bloodbath, but we're getting some really interesting new ideas thrown in there. I'm loving that we're getting to see more of younger William. I always thought that if we saw nothing more of him after he became the Man in Black, there would have been a little something missing from his character development.

By the looks of the trailer, we're back with Maeve and Dolores next episode. I must admit I'm finding Maeve about as compelling as I found her in S1, which is to say, not very.

Agree with all of this.

Loved that episode.

choose Life.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #689 on: May 15, 2018, 08:14:50 am »
Internet speculation below:

Spoiler
Hard to say who he was printing off. The internet speculates that it might be a copy of William. Some even say that William has died at some point in the timeline. That'd be cool if it happens sometime in the next couple of episodes, still in the past (i.e. while on his quest but before Bernard wakes up to find all the bodies in the water, which is the present), and then he rocked up at the end.
[close]
Spoiler
That's the problem with a show like this, you're constantly questioning who's real and who's not!! I was wondering whether William was a host, and the mission that Ford has sent him on to become a good guy again is his way of finding out whether a programmed host can change mentality.

I don't think Ford as Anthony Hopkins will come back, but maybe Ford's memory which is put into another body or even the younger Ford we saw in season 1.
[close]
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #690 on: May 15, 2018, 08:59:12 am »

Seconded. Absolutely fantastic episode.

Funny cos for me it's Dolores' story that I don't find very compelling. Last week I found myself drifting in and out of the episode especially when it came to her scenes.

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #691 on: May 15, 2018, 11:24:14 am »
Does anyone else think this is one huge narrative?

There was a bit in season one when the Confederado's attacked Teddy for his part with Wyatt...And we saw what happened in episode three...
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline losCHUNK

• Anny Roader
« Reply #692 on: May 15, 2018, 02:51:38 pm »
Seconded. Absolutely fantastic episode.

Funny cos for me it's Dolores' story that I don't find very compelling. Last week I found myself drifting in and out of the episode especially when it came to her scenes.

Dolores has become extremely annoying to me, I didn't mind her in the 1st season.  Maeve is bland but I think that arc has a lot of potential, with the end of ep 3 n all, could be quite fun :)

Loving season 2 so far, obv ep4 being the highlight.  Was wondering how they're gonna follow up the 'mystery box' season now that viewers will be clued in and they've done it with another mystery box.  Can't fault the writing.

I seen the show getting some flack prior to ep 4, calling it boring and obvious.  I remember hearing the same things about the 1st season which didn't liven up until atleast ep5 iirc.  I really like the approach of the show, they're taking their time in laying the groundwork.

Offline butchersdog

• Scouse Tiger.....grrrr :)
  • Kopite
« Reply #693 on: May 15, 2018, 03:14:39 pm »
Don't think I've ever enjoyed anything on telly so much, think it's fantastic. Ed Harris could have been a brilliant man with no name type cowboy had westerns had more mainstream popularity in the last 20 years. Find myself watching an ep and then reading the reviews online to fill in a few blanks, which strangely only makes it better, like the tv equivalent of reading a book and then reading others interpretations of it i guess. Just hope it doesn't deviate too much into random worlds, can't say I find the prospect of Shogun World, Raj World etc as compelling, but I remain open minded.

Online Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #694 on: May 15, 2018, 05:22:39 pm »
Spoiler
Well, that had me slightly confused...as usual.

Did we see Bernard in the lab three times?

Once for the killing spree, once with Elsie, and then a third time alone, when his memory inserted Elsie?
[close]
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #695 on: May 15, 2018, 07:51:26 pm »
Spoiler
Well, that had me slightly confused...as usual.

Did we see Bernard in the lab three times?

Once for the killing spree, once with Elsie, and then a third time alone, when his memory inserted Elsie?
[close]

Yes to all.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #696 on: May 15, 2018, 08:57:52 pm »
Don't think I've ever enjoyed anything on telly so much, think it's fantastic. Ed Harris could have been a brilliant man with no name type cowboy had westerns had more mainstream popularity in the last 20 years. Find myself watching an ep and then reading the reviews online to fill in a few blanks, which strangely only makes it better, like the tv equivalent of reading a book and then reading others interpretations of it i guess. Just hope it doesn't deviate too much into random worlds, can't say I find the prospect of Shogun World, Raj World etc as compelling, but I remain open minded.

Future spin offs, perhaps. Similar to how GOT is going to get some once it ends. It would be betraying the name of the show if they began to focus more on the other worlds than Westworld itself. I do hope we get to see some of the others and what is happening in them, but brief scenes like the ones of Grace/MiB's daughter in Raj world is enough for me

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #697 on: May 15, 2018, 08:59:36 pm »
well you're going to see quite a bit of shogun world next week by the looks of it.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #698 on: May 16, 2018, 03:25:35 pm »
Spoiler
Thought the scene of Jonathan Tucker dancing with Lawrence's nameless wife was wonderfully done in its symmetry and evolution from the same scene in the first season
[close]
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline Andy-oh-six

• Legacy Fan
  • Mr Susan in 'the world of mirrors'...
« Reply #699 on: May 16, 2018, 09:52:16 pm »
Brilliant episode. Slow start to this season but that was as a good an episode as anything in the series so far.
Internet terrorist

Offline Prelude no.5

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • op.23. Thanks for everything Rafa
« Reply #700 on: May 17, 2018, 10:04:21 am »
Good episode. What I couldn't understand though is Elsie reaction to realising that Bernard is a host.

I mean, didn't she have an excellent relationship with him in the first season prior to here being choked? Or was it known to her somewhere before that he's a host?
"We gave the fans the pride. Again. We fight for the fans, we fight for the club and we fight for our players. Maybe he cannot understand this." ~ Rafa Benitez

Offline Beneath

• Anny Roader
  • Believe
« Reply #701 on: May 17, 2018, 10:31:01 am »
What I don't quite get is...

Spoiler
...why Ed Harris has spent the entire time looking for 'a deeper level to this game', when he's been sitting across a table, having a fucking whisky with it for twenty-odd years.
[close]
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 11:26:33 am by Beneath »
I saw the devil in his eyes, and I shit me undercrackers

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #702 on: May 17, 2018, 11:06:34 am »
This season has exceeded all expectations.

It has about 20 plot lines in god knows how many time lines.

Absolute barmy genius.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Online Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #703 on: May 17, 2018, 01:12:54 pm »
This season has exceeded all expectations.

It has about 20 plot lines in god knows how many time lines.

Absolute barmy genius.
That's the thing for me. I love it, but I don't know if it's actually genius, or just thinks it is.

Probably a question for when the whole thing is finished.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #704 on: May 21, 2018, 12:22:01 pm »
Hmm

Spoiler
So Maeve and William's stories both touch on family and reunions now, and Dolores and Bernard are linked by Arnold, so I'm not sure why they've paired them off the way they have. I don't mind that they're alternating episodes between each pair, but my enthusiasm for the ongoing adventures of one pair significantly outweighs the other. I've completely lost interest in Dolores's story, and am only interested in Maeve because of Shogun World and seeing the mirror version of her party. Turning her into Neo is a bit mundane.
[close]
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #705 on: May 21, 2018, 04:00:26 pm »
Spoiler
If Maeve knew she could control an army, why did she wait so long? She could have controlled the Shogun army as soon as it entered the village
[close]
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #706 on: May 21, 2018, 04:32:09 pm »
I am wondering if 
Spoiler
The hosts printed off a load of new bodies to put into the lake/sea,they certainly had plenty of time 11 days & where is Charlotte ?[/b]
[close]

Looks like I was right.

Spoiler
If Maeve knew she could control an army, why did she wait so long? She could have controlled the Shogun army as soon as it entered the village
[close]

Spoiler
I don't think that she did know,she only did it a few hours previous for the 1st time & then she practiced on Geisha Maeve just before she was due to perform.
[close]

All in all it was a decent episode
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline newrosswaterford

• Kopite
« Reply #707 on: May 21, 2018, 07:14:28 pm »
Looks like I was right.

Spoiler
I don't think that she did know,she only did it a few hours previous for the 1st time & then she practiced on Geisha Maeve just before she was due to perform.
[close]

All in all it was a decent episode
Spoiler
What she did was akin to what Ford with the hosts when dining with Theresa.
[close]

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #708 on: May 21, 2018, 07:19:30 pm »
Spoiler
What she did was akin to what Ford with the hosts when dining with Theresa.
[close]

Spoiler
Isn't this is a new trick that she has ,started with her getting flashes of the Ninjas about to attack & she then found that she can give them none verbal commands
[close]

Offline newrosswaterford

• Kopite
« Reply #709 on: May 21, 2018, 07:46:40 pm »
Spoiler
Isn't this is a new trick that she has ,started with her getting flashes of the Ninjas about to attack & she then found that she can give them none verbal commands
[close]

Spoiler
I don't see new..more..became aware. When, in the first season, she forces the tech guy to boost all her stats and give her control over the other hosts, it would seem she got proper control similar to that which Ford had(/has?). It begs the question as to how Ford can do that without having some form of transmitter, or if he himself was a host. More interestingly with the reveals of the last episode, could he have downloaded his mind onto the network. We know the hosts 'connect' with each other when near each other, a kinda of tag system to allow the techs to figure out where the hosts are. Could he be using it to jump between hosts? Is that how he can revels himself to William?

It looks to me like Ford has 'sublimed' Is that the next level William is looking for?
[close]
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 07:49:06 pm by newrosswaterford »

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #710 on: May 21, 2018, 10:25:19 pm »
Looks like I was right
Spoiler
But they haven’t printed a load of new hosts, they’re wiping the memory clean of the ones who aren’t capable of living outside of their story lines.

Out of all the story lines in this series, I’m finding the Delores one the worst.
[close]

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #711 on: May 22, 2018, 09:29:42 am »
Spoiler
Shogun World was so much fun. Looking forward to seeing more of it next week.

Last two episodes have really raised the game I think. The writing and acting is just top notch.

One issue with Shogun World though. How the fuck do you ensure guest safety in a world where blades and arrows are used instead of guns?
[close]

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #712 on: May 22, 2018, 10:13:03 am »
Spoiler
But they haven’t printed a load of new hosts, they’re wiping the memory clean of the ones who aren’t capable of living outside of their story lines.

Out of all the story lines in this series, I’m finding the Delores one the worst.
[close]

He says that about 1/3rd of them were virgin,not wiped.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #713 on: May 22, 2018, 12:42:05 pm »
He says that about 1/3rd of them were virgin,not wiped.
Argh OK I must have missed that, I thought he said 1/3rd were wiped.

Spoiler
Shogun World was so much fun. Looking forward to seeing more of it next week.

Last two episodes have really raised the game I think. The writing and acting is just top notch.

One issue with Shogun World though. How the fuck do you ensure guest safety in a world where blades and arrows are used instead of guns?
[close]
I've still not figured out how their guns went from firing non lethal buck shot to suddenly being lethal when shooting at the guests. 

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #714 on: May 22, 2018, 01:03:52 pm »
Thought ep5 was the weakest of the whole show. The intrigue is still there but Dolores and Maeve aren't good enough to carry entire episodes like the MiB is.

Offline Prelude no.5

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • op.23. Thanks for everything Rafa
« Reply #715 on: May 22, 2018, 01:34:53 pm »
I feel the show is quite floundering.

There's too much that's being conjured out of thin air to accommodate the storyline especially in Maeve's story. Dolores was also my favourite character last season has ended up being a boring bully.
"We gave the fans the pride. Again. We fight for the fans, we fight for the club and we fight for our players. Maybe he cannot understand this." ~ Rafa Benitez

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #716 on: May 22, 2018, 02:28:39 pm »
Its too complicated for me to absolutely love it like I have GOT, Stranger Things, Breaking Bad, The Sopranos but its still a very well made TV show.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline butchersdog

• Scouse Tiger.....grrrr :)
  • Kopite
« Reply #717 on: May 22, 2018, 11:44:14 pm »
Didn't enjoy this week at all to be honest, was slow and boring, the whole witch thing as well, hoping the show isn't jumping the shark early. Sadly looks like more of Shogun World to follow.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #718 on: May 23, 2018, 12:01:25 am »
I feel the show is quite floundering.

There's too much that's being conjured out of thin air to accommodate the storyline especially in Maeve's story. Dolores was also my favourite character last season has ended up being a boring bully.
In addition to turning Bernard into a blithering idiot

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #719 on: May 23, 2018, 12:24:07 am »
In addition to turning Bernard into a blithering idiot

He is faking that in the present timeline.