Author Topic: Brendan Rodgers  (Read 217046 times)

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Brendan Rodgers- New Celtic manager
« Reply #2000 on: April 2, 2023, 03:52:55 pm »
Was it Evans who always disliked Rodgers?

Got pissed off because he thought Paul Lambert was a better manager and put all his chips on him. Much like how he heavily disliked FSG because they weren't China.

In both cases while the people he disliked had flaws, at least they weren't fucking Paul Lambert, and the Chinese Investment Fund that fucked over Milan

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #2001 on: April 2, 2023, 03:59:35 pm »
Got pissed off because he thought Paul Lambert was a better manager and put all his chips on him. Much like how he heavily disliked FSG because they weren't China.

In both cases while the people he disliked had flaws, at least they weren't fucking Paul Lambert, and the Chinese Investment Fund that fucked over Milan

I remember his view was Rodgers could only play one way and Lambert was more pragmatic. Neither should have been anywhere near really.

Ironically we never played tiki-taka possession style football at all during Rodgers's 3 and a bit seasons here and he must have tried every different formation and tactic.

Was massively out of his depth though. I thought the job might have just come too soon but he's shown at Leicester he does worse at jobs the longer he's in them and the longer he's given to build his own team.

He was taking Leicester down, they might get out of it now.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2002 on: April 2, 2023, 04:07:00 pm »
I remember his view was Rodgers could only play one way and Lambert was more pragmatic. Neither should have been anywhere near really.

Ironically we never played tiki-taka possession style football at all during Rodgers's 3 and a bit seasons here and he must have tried every different formation and tactic.

Was massively out of his depth though. I thought the job might have just come too soon but he's shown at Leicester he does worse at jobs the longer he's in them and the longer he's given to build his own team.

He was taking Leicester down, they might get out of it now.

I agree he wasn't completely up for the job. And there is a fair point to the tactical inflexibility - up until that last full season where we would try a bunch of tactics to see if they worked, with no real idea of it (like playing 3 at the back with Can as a CB which worked for like 5 matches and then we got trounced by I want to say Arsenal, and it never worked again)

But I mean come on man Paul fucking Lambert is quite literally a Championship to League 1 level manager. Evans has points to his arguments, but the conclusion couldn't possibly be worse

Anyway, Rodgers will circle the drain of PL jobs, getting worse and worse until he can't get one anymore and he retires or moves to the Championship. The trajectory or average British managers, like Hughes, Pardew, Bruce, etc before him

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2003 on: April 2, 2023, 04:16:46 pm »
I agree he wasn't completely up for the job. And there is a fair point to the tactical inflexibility - up until that last full season where we would try a bunch of tactics to see if they worked, with no real idea of it (like playing 3 at the back with Can as a CB which worked for like 5 matches and then we got trounced by I want to say Arsenal, and it never worked again)

But I mean come on man Paul fucking Lambert is quite literally a Championship to League 1 level manager. Evans has points to his arguments, but the conclusion couldn't possibly be worse

Anyway, Rodgers will circle the drain of PL jobs, getting worse and worse until he can't get one anymore and he retires or moves to the Championship. The trajectory or average British managers, like Hughes, Pardew, Bruce, etc before him

Lambert was another Owen Coyle or Malky Mackay, a flavour-of-the month Glaswegian whose career then very quickly fell off a cliff. At least the others have found their level in the Scottish leagues, Lambert seems to have given up.

Rodgers will go down the Pardew trajectory, he can at least rival him in the vanity stakes. Where he's done well is picking good jobs and bullshitting FSG enough with his dossiers. Had he stayed at Swansea another year and they had second season syndrome and he followed his usual course of getting worse over time, he'd be a minor footnote in top level management already, like the aforementioned.

« Last Edit: April 2, 2023, 04:20:32 pm by Fromola »

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Brendan Rodgers
« Reply #2004 on: April 3, 2023, 01:21:47 am »
There's a few things you can knock Rodgers for but tactical inflexibility isn't one of them. He started out here trying to replicate his Swansea possession-based structure, switched to five at the back with a lone striker when we needed to shore up the defence and went to the diamond 4-4-2 around the middle of 2013-14, which kicked off that amazing run towards the end of the season. There's also no denying he's great at improving players: Suarez, Sturridge, Coutinho, Henderson and Sterling all took huge steps forward when he was here and Gerrard had an Indian summer - and they've all been complementary about him since bar Sterling. You can see the same thing at his other clubs.

On the minus side, he probably has trouble in the longer term with clubs because his man management style has a shelf life, he isn't great at assessing possible purchases and you could never accuse him of staying out of the limelight, but he's achieved everywhere he's been even if it's just been in the short term. With Leicester, there'sthe obvious caveat that he had a small squad, a board that was largely unwilling to spend and constant injury problems. If he was managing in another league he'd have been headhunted by a Champions League mainstay years ago.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2005 on: April 3, 2023, 02:05:59 am »
There's a few things you can knock Rodgers for but tactical inflexibility isn't one of them. He started out here trying to replicate his Swansea possession-based structure, switched to five at the back with a lone striker when we needed to shore up the defence and went to the diamond 4-4-2 around the middle of 2013-14, which kicked off that amazing run towards the end of the season. There's also no denying he's great at improving players: Suarez, Sturridge, Coutinho, Henderson and Sterling all took huge steps forward when he was here and Gerrard had an Indian summer - and they've all been complementary about him since bar Sterling. You can see the same thing at his other clubs.

On the minus side, he probably has trouble in the longer term with clubs because his man management style has a shelf life, he isn't great at assessing possible purchases and you could never accuse him of staying out of the limelight, but he's achieved everywhere he's been even if it's just been in the short term. With Leicester, there'sthe obvious caveat that he had a small squad, a board that was largely unwilling to spend and constant injury problems. If he was managing in another league he'd have been headhunted by a Champions League mainstay years ago.

In game he was quite inflexible I found. If plan A didn't work, do plan A better is a quote I remember. I also remember a tonne of games against low block teams were we would keep trying to do the same thing, and keep hitting a brick wall, and not change how we approached it at all. If it didn't work, it just didn't work, you could tell by the first 15 minutes if we would score or not most likely.

Other than the great year, most years with him were utterly frustrating affairs of either great open football, or turgid bogged down slow build up passing until it is easily defended.

In his last full season he did change up formations but not really tactics, and frankly it never actually felt like he knew what the formation change would do just kinda but then out and experimented until the formation didn't work anymore.

His eye for players in terms of his tactics was a mess as well - every man and his dog knew Benteke didn't fit our style other than Rodgers apparently. Season before when we couldn't get Sanchez, his pick for players was Bony, Falcao, Benzema, Cavani - while most are really good players there all 4 very different players beyond being strikers, which tells me Rodgers didn't have much of an eye for how players for beyond believing striker who scores goals will surely do so for us as well - Benteke was like that too, if he can score for Aston Villa he will score for us, without considering how spotty hao scoring form was, how much slower he was, and how we had no real outlets to get balls to him/players to run off him

A lot of my frustration with him comes from the fighting with FSG and the transfer committee, it felt too many times like he was choosing to punish the team to make a point for himself, to prove he wasn't supported. Players he would play out of position or in the wrong way because they weren't his signings, always felt like it was sticking it in to the transfer committee at our expense, or getting his excuses in early.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2006 on: April 3, 2023, 03:38:11 am »
Some good points there SS but I don't agree entirely. Rodgers was restricted somewhat because of our lack of squad depth but he certainly wasn't afraid to switch around the personnel in midfield between Henderson, Coutinho, Lucas and Allen in-game depending on what we needed. I could talk more about that list of strikers but I'm not sure how having a wide range of options for the Suarez replacement is a sign of tactical inflexibility either - surely if he only knew one way to play he'd have only been going for one kind of forward.

Saying Rodgers had one good year is also wrong, he needed a few months to get the team playing properly but we were in Champions League form from Christmas in his first season. The lack of a cutting edge was often an issue at times, but he lost both world class strikers in quick succession in 2014 and never really recovered. Ultimately, it was the right decision to sack him when we did because he'd come to the end of the road.

But while he certainly had weak points, I do think Rodgers gets a lot of unfair stick. A lot of it seems to come from older fans who didn't take to him personally and never forgave him from taking over from King Kenny. And while Kenny did a great job of getting us back on track after the Hodgson debacle, he was clearly a decade or two behind the times tactically (and arguably in other ways looking at the Suarez T-shirt situation). He isn't Klopp but anyone who thinks Rodgers didn't improve us, or that the 100-goal season would have happened regardless of manager, is delusional.

Lastly, I think people tend to misunderstand the Benteke purchase. Our attack had been light on strength and energy since Suarez left and in theory he was meant to bring the speed to still score off the break while having the strength to hold the ball up. He'd played in a two and had the attributes to play alone upfront, and I'm not sure spotty scoring matters much when it was also levelled against Mane and Jota when they first arrived. Obviously, it didn't work out - from memory, our other players never learned to track his runs effectively - but I don't think Benteke was some horrible failure either. He has a better goals-per-game record for us in the league than Crouch or Firmino, let alone the likes of Carroll and Balotelli. And he outscored all our attackers the following year after he moved.

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2007 on: April 3, 2023, 08:26:06 am »

Always found it mad that he was appointed to produce the possession-style tiki-taka football that was all in vogue at the time, and throughout his first summer he'd tell everyone about how that was the way his teams were always going to play, yet he never actually played that way at all with us. More so Celtic.

Even at Leicester when they did well it was basically the tried-and-trusted counter attack and let Vardy run on goal. Since he's declined/lost any pace they've just been completely passive.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2008 on: April 3, 2023, 08:29:25 am »
I'm surprised it's taken this long, although I seem to recall there was talk that Leicester couldn't afford the payoff. I wonder how much cachet he has left to get a bigger job (I'd assume he probably will be linked to Spurs and Chelsea jobs in the summer).

Money for a new head of hair for Brendan.

He'll end up using his Spanish at somewhere like Atlético Madrid.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #2009 on: April 3, 2023, 09:41:15 am »
Holy shit, is that true?

Blaming a mans suicide on Brendan Rodgers is a new low for the stick he gets on here, and probably a swift way to get the thread locked

I'm surprised it's taken this long, although I seem to recall there was talk that Leicester couldn't afford the payoff. I wonder how much cachet he has left to get a bigger job (I'd assume he probably will be linked to Spurs and Chelsea jobs in the summer).

Rodgers? Nah surely not this time. To be in with a shout of that sort of job he needed to leave Leicester maybe 18 months/2 years ago when his stock was still pretty high after winning the FA Cup and a couple of very close stabs at getting into the CL through the league. Think you're maybe looking at Championship sides who come up and dont start great, maybe Palace in the summer if they stay up, maybe Brentford if Frank goes elsewhere but feel like they'd be smarter than that.

If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2010 on: April 3, 2023, 10:20:18 am »
Some good points there SS but I don't agree entirely. Rodgers was restricted somewhat because of our lack of squad depth but he certainly wasn't afraid to switch around the personnel in midfield between Henderson, Coutinho, Lucas and Allen in-game depending on what we needed. I could talk more about that list of strikers but I'm not sure how having a wide range of options for the Suarez replacement is a sign of tactical inflexibility either - surely if he only knew one way to play he'd have only been going for one kind of forward.

Saying Rodgers had one good year is also wrong, he needed a few months to get the team playing properly but we were in Champions League form from Christmas in his first season. The lack of a cutting edge was often an issue at times, but he lost both world class strikers in quick succession in 2014 and never really recovered. Ultimately, it was the right decision to sack him when we did because he'd come to the end of the road.

But while he certainly had weak points, I do think Rodgers gets a lot of unfair stick. A lot of it seems to come from older fans who didn't take to him personally and never forgave him from taking over from King Kenny. And while Kenny did a great job of getting us back on track after the Hodgson debacle, he was clearly a decade or two behind the times tactically (and arguably in other ways looking at the Suarez T-shirt situation). He isn't Klopp but anyone who thinks Rodgers didn't improve us, or that the 100-goal season would have happened regardless of manager, is delusional.

Lastly, I think people tend to misunderstand the Benteke purchase. Our attack had been light on strength and energy since Suarez left and in theory he was meant to bring the speed to still score off the break while having the strength to hold the ball up. He'd played in a two and had the attributes to play alone upfront, and I'm not sure spotty scoring matters much when it was also levelled against Mane and Jota when they first arrived. Obviously, it didn't work out - from memory, our other players never learned to track his runs effectively - but I don't think Benteke was some horrible failure either. He has a better goals-per-game record for us in the league than Crouch or Firmino, let alone the likes of Carroll and Balotelli. And he outscored all our attackers the following year after he moved.

Maybe it was personnel that was down to it but for the bulk of the time with Rodgers it absolutely felt like we didn't have a plan B, if it wasn't working it just wouldn't work and it wouldn't change. But maybe it was personnel.

On the list of strikers, linking it with Benteke, that was more to say that I always got the impression with Rodgers signings that there wasn't a huge amount of thought into how they fit in with the team. With Klopp we get the best player for the role and play the best player for the role, with Rodgers it felt like either he was getting the people he knew (Borini, Allen, was in for Ashley Williams, Sturridge as well if I remember right) or went after players who were well known and see how they fit (Clyne, Lovren, Lallana, Benteke), to varying degrees of success under Rodgers. That list, they are all at the time big name strikers, but all very different from each other - it felt like there wasn't a plan more of a see what we get (or in the last season and a half, more shove them in and hope they work as it felt like).

I would also argue along that being that Benteke was a failure. I understand where you are coming from with the strength in attack, but we didn't have the players to utilize him. He didn't have his pace anymore, his ability as a target man were not suited to us, he didn't have the technical ability to play hold up play well for the other striker running off him, we didn't have effective means of getting the ball to him in (and if I must be honest I wasn't impressed when we did get balls into the box, as unless they were right on him he wouldn't attack them). The spotty scoring was a sign to say that a rudimentary look at his last two seasons at Villa before he joined us would show him having a good return of goals, but look deeper and he had like 2 goals until March and then went on a run at the end of the season. While better than Balotelli and Lambert and Boring, he wasn't good for us and a lot of people could see he wouldn't fit. I am sure there must be more to it, but it honestly felt like Rodgers picked a player who was doing well for a midtable club and thought "if he can score in the PL he will score for us". That's what his signings felt like, they did well elsewhere so they will for us as well.

I will say a very fair point on the first season, was going through Uni so it is all a bit of a blur sometimes but yes second half of his first season we were really great, there was a reason why we were tipped  for the league despite finishing outside the CL the season before that great one.

I think one criticism of Rodgers that does hold water, despite that season, is that his seasons tend to run out of steam - with us and with Leicester the worst part of the season is usually the final stretch, which in many ways is the most important part. That end of the last full season, after the loss to Aston Villa at Wembley, I remember speaking with my dad coming away from the game, saying if he finishes the season well then we can build, had like 9 games left to play, just do them justice. If anything we got significantly worse those games, to the point that I think the writing was on the wall (and he would have gone at the end of the season if Klopp wasn't taking a sabbatical).

His man management style also has hallmarks of Mourinho or Tuchel although not nearly as adversarial, but has the same sort of end effect, of after 2 or 3 seasons players just stop listening to you and the atmosphere just becomes bad.

And again for me the stuff that turned me off was his behavior with the transfer committee and getting himself out in the limelight so much, idk it always just felt like he was serving himself first, and as I said in my original post, it felt like he would in a small way sabotage the team/players to make his own point against the committee. I can understand his frustration, the set up was a mess, but it just didn't feel like he was trying to work with it at all to the teams expense.
« Last Edit: April 3, 2023, 10:21:59 am by Stockholm Syndrome »

Offline RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2011 on: April 3, 2023, 10:31:53 am »

Steady...

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #2012 on: April 3, 2023, 01:42:34 pm »
He's a funny one, never really disliked him but then I never really warmed to him either. Something oily about him which has been proven in the way he looks after himself primarily. He's a good appointment if you want a couple of reasonable years but his record suggest people work him out and whatever his strengths are fade away.

Dumped Watford for Reading
Dumped Swansea for us
Dumped Susan for Charlotte
Dumped Celtic for Leicester

Dumped by us and Leicester

aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Andar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2013 on: April 3, 2023, 02:07:22 pm »
Good manager. Two 5th placed finishes and a FA Cup at a club like Leicester is good work.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2014 on: April 3, 2023, 02:14:17 pm »
If criminal and illegal activities aren't included, I really couldn't give two shits about his personal life. People get divorced everyday since the dawn of time. Isn't Klopp divorced as well from his first wife? If my memory servers me right, this is his second wife.

"Shankly and Paisley weren't like that" - that's fantastic that they never got divorced. Some people aren't that fortunate like them. No need to use that as a stick to beat them with.

Truth be told, I'm not the biggest fan of his personality, but I'd never go that far like some people in here. He never said a single bad word against our club and for that he has my respect as former Liverpool manager who gave us one of the most exciting seasons that i can remember.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2015 on: April 3, 2023, 02:20:14 pm »
If criminal and illegal activities aren't included, I really couldn't give two shits about his personal life. People get divorced everyday since the dawn of time. Isn't Klopp divorced as well from his first wife? If my memory servers me right, this is his second wife.

"Shankly and Paisley weren't like that" - that's fantastic that they never got divorced. Some people aren't that fortunate like them. No need to use that as a stick to beat them with.

Truth be told, I'm not the biggest fan of his personality, but I'd never go that far like some people in here. He never said a single bad word against our club and for that he has my respect as former Liverpool manager who gave us one of the most exciting seasons that i can remember.
A person should also be judged on how they behave as a human being, see Ryan Giggs and John Terry.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2016 on: April 3, 2023, 02:28:31 pm »
Something about Rodgers. Every time he opens his mouth he annoys me. Actually think he’s been better at Leicester but still can’t care for him at all.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #2017 on: April 3, 2023, 02:36:05 pm »
A person should also be judged on how they behave as a human being, see Ryan Giggs and John Terry.

An awful lot of shithouses in the world if getting divorced makes you a bad human being
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2018 on: April 3, 2023, 02:41:10 pm »

That's a fucking bizarre comparison to make. On what planet is Brendan Rodgers in any way similar to Ryan Giggs and John Terry?

One got divorced from his wife to marry someone else. Happens every single day in all walks of life.
One fucked his mate's bird and racially abused an opposition player.
One fucked his brother's missus and emotionally and physically abused his girlfriend.

Some really fucking weird people here need to get a grip on reality.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2019 on: April 3, 2023, 02:52:29 pm »
Think Rodgers did a decent job at Liverpool, Leicester but ultimately failed in striking the balance in defence. De Zerbi has this issue as well, even from his time at Sassuolo, but can organise sides a little better. De Zerbi is at where Rodgers was as a young coach, finding that balance will decide how far he can go.

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2020 on: April 3, 2023, 03:00:05 pm »
If he could of instilled "passing with purpose" then maybe we'd of done a bit better under him.

He lost it in the last 12 months with us seeming to have a different ethos depending on whether he'd had a bad time in the press or not.

Never liked him after he gave it the Billy Big Bollocks to Sterling in front of the cameras on the Pre Season tour.

Snidey guy
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline demain

• Shambolic
  • Kopite
  • 'à quoi bon ?'
« Reply #2021 on: April 3, 2023, 03:06:23 pm »
His last season at the club was no worse than the current season has been under Klopp. There is one glaring common mitigating factor for both seasons: mystifyingly dubious transfer policies preceding the disastrous campaign.
'Ever bought a fake picture, Toby?'
'Sold a couple once.'
'The more you pay for it, the less inclined you are to doubt its authenticity.'

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #2022 on: April 3, 2023, 03:14:41 pm »
His last season at the club was no worse than the current season has been under Klopp. There is one glaring common mitigating factor for both seasons: mystifyingly dubious transfer policies preceding the disastrous campaign.

bit of an odd contribution! Those 2 names should never be used together for some sort of ‘balance’ or comparison.

Rodgers didn’t win a bean with Liverpool.  And his whole reign was filled with ‘dubious transfer policies’ that he himself was the root cause of.  The dubious part now is why the club didn’t strengthen key areas, not because they where buying duds all over the place.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2023 on: April 3, 2023, 03:18:45 pm »

Klopp won absolutely everything under the son and is quite clearly the best manager in the world despite a poor campaign, and there's not a single manager in the world that can come close to being an adequate replacement, the amount of benefit of the doubt Klopp gets is infinite

Rodgers didn't win anything, wasn't the best manager in the world, and was in fact given the benefit of the doubt to turn the issues around and did not. Meanwhile a manager who has won plenty and shown real pedigree before he becomes our boss was available

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2024 on: April 3, 2023, 03:22:01 pm »

Well I'll give you that, as things stand, the setup behind the scenes for both managers was wonky, unstable and uncertain. And we've seen at Brighton that the setup is just as important as the man. But Rodgers had more control over transfers than Klopp does. Plus, he didn't rate a number of players who became stalwarts under Klopp. And Jurgen has won it all with us whereas Rodgers won nothing.

I think Rodgers started believing his own hyper, which undermined his progress as a manager. Personally, I think Potter might do well with Leicester. But if it's dysfunctional behind the scenes then it won't really matter who they get in, not unless they can sort the issues in the summer.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2025 on: April 3, 2023, 03:25:14 pm »
In game he was quite inflexible I found. If plan A didn't work, do plan A better is a quote I remember. I also remember a tonne of games against low block teams were we would keep trying to do the same thing, and keep hitting a brick wall, and not change how we approached it at all. If it didn't work, it just didn't work, you could tell by the first 15 minutes if we would score or not most likely.

Other than the great year, most years with him were utterly frustrating affairs of either great open football, or turgid bogged down slow build up passing until it is easily defended.

In his last full season he did change up formations but not really tactics, and frankly it never actually felt like he knew what the formation change would do just kinda but then out and experimented until the formation didn't work anymore.

His eye for players in terms of his tactics was a mess as well - every man and his dog knew Benteke didn't fit our style other than Rodgers apparently. Season before when we couldn't get Sanchez, his pick for players was Bony, Falcao, Benzema, Cavani - while most are really good players there all 4 very different players beyond being strikers, which tells me Rodgers didn't have much of an eye for how players for beyond believing striker who scores goals will surely do so for us as well - Benteke was like that too, if he can score for Aston Villa he will score for us, without considering how spotty hao scoring form was, how much slower he was, and how we had no real outlets to get balls to him/players to run off him

A lot of my frustration with him comes from the fighting with FSG and the transfer committee, it felt too many times like he was choosing to punish the team to make a point for himself, to prove he wasn't supported. Players he would play out of position or in the wrong way because they weren't his signings, always felt like it was sticking it in to the transfer committee at our expense, or getting his excuses in early.

This criticism applies for a lot of coaches though including Klopp.
« Last Edit: April 3, 2023, 03:29:01 pm by Coolie High »

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2026 on: April 3, 2023, 03:29:04 pm »
09/10 - Finished 7th and on the brink of administration
10/11 - FSG takeover, disastrous first few months under Hodgson, finish 6th
11/12 - Finish 8th under Dalglish
12/13 - Finish 7th under Rodgers
13/14 - Take the league to the last day but finish 2nd due to a corrupt refereeing decision at Abu Dhabi/Gerrard slipping/whatever but of course a failure because of Rodgers  ::)
14/15 - Lose our best player, replace him with shit players and finish 6th

In the context of where we were at when he took over, he gets a lot of unneccesary shit for no good reason.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline demain

• Shambolic
  • Kopite
  • 'à quoi bon ?'
« Reply #2027 on: April 3, 2023, 03:32:04 pm »
bit of an odd contribution! Those 2 names should never be used together for some sort of ‘balance’ or comparison.

Rodgers didn’t win a bean with Liverpool.  And his whole reign was filled with ‘dubious transfer policies’ that he himself was the root cause of.  The dubious part now is why the club didn’t strengthen key areas, not because they where buying duds all over the place.

Folks here are too sanctimonious and tediously so. There is no equivalence in stature between Klopp or Rodgers, but it is striking that the club fucked up with transfers (now whether that was Rodgers' fault in 2014 is neither here nor there). He was shafted in so much as he was expected to replace Luis Suarez with Rickie Lambert and Mario Balotelli.
'Sold a couple once.'

Offline demain

• Shambolic
  • Kopite
  • 'à quoi bon ?'
« Reply #2028 on: April 3, 2023, 03:35:23 pm »
Well I'll give you that, as things stand, the setup behind the scenes for both managers was wonky, unstable and uncertain. And we've seen at Brighton that the setup is just as important as the man. But Rodgers had more control over transfers than Klopp does. Plus, he didn't rate a number of players who became stalwarts under Klopp. And Jurgen has won it all with us whereas Rodgers won nothing.

I think Rodgers started believing his own hyper, which undermined his progress as a manager. Personally, I think Potter might do well with Leicester. But if it's dysfunctional behind the scenes then it won't really matter who they get in, not unless they can sort the issues in the summer.

I agree with everything you've written there mate apart from the bit in bold. We have had a tendency to absolve FSG and the club for their missteps by focusing on the manager's mistakes. It's creeping in this season as well, with a few tending to blame Klopp for the decisions last summer. At no stage has there been any indication since FSG have taken over that the manager has been fully in charge of transfer policies.
'Sold a couple once.'

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2029 on: April 3, 2023, 03:36:35 pm »
This criticism applies for a lot of coaches though including Klopp.

Perhaps for this season but for most seasons I would say it does not. In game at least Klopp would make plenty of changes where possible to flip it on it's head. It's why we kept Origi for so long because he was something completely different to our starting options

Offline Alisson Wonderland

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2030 on: April 3, 2023, 03:43:37 pm »
I always thought he was a decent manager just not at the level we needed.

He improved Leicester in his first 2-3 seasons there but he seemed to run out of ideas and it's no surprise they got rid.

He will definitely get another Premier League job and I think he is still at that level, it just won't be at the likes of Spurs or Chelsea.  Palace seems like it could be a decent fit for him.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2031 on: April 3, 2023, 03:43:43 pm »
He was a better manager than Hodgson.  That's the highest praise he should be given.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2032 on: April 3, 2023, 03:43:46 pm »
I agree with everything you've written there mate apart from the bit in bold. We have had a tendency to absolve FSG and the club for their missteps by focusing on the manager's mistakes. It's creeping in this season as well, with a few tending to blame Klopp for the decisions last summer. At no stage has there been any indication since FSG have taken over that the manager has been fully in charge of transfer policies.

He wasn't fully in charge, but neither were committee, which was the Crux of the issue.

A lot of the signings or desired signings that do seem to be attributed to Rodgers though we're not fantastic - there's only a few that we can almost definitively say we're Rodgers picks, but that's the likes of Borini, Allen, Benteke, Sturridge, and wanting to sign Ashley Williams, which is absolutely a mixed bag.

His use of clear committee signings too wasn't brilliant - his use of Firmino was completely against where Firmino is to be played. Same with Nuri Sahin - when he did play I remember him being played almost as an 8 when he was not quick enough to play that far up the field.

It being so divided was a massive massive issue. Not all Rodgers, but his eye in the transfer market still seemed suspect
« Last Edit: April 3, 2023, 03:47:01 pm by Stockholm Syndrome »

Offline demain

• Shambolic
  • Kopite
  • 'à quoi bon ?'
« Reply #2033 on: April 3, 2023, 03:52:14 pm »
He wasn't fully in charge, but neither were committee, which was the Crux of the issue.

A lot of the signings or desired signings that do seem to be attributed to Rodgers though we're not fantastic - there's only a few that we can almost definitively say we're Rodgers picks, but that's the likes of Borini, Allen, Benteke, Sturridge, and wanting to sign Ashley Williams, which is absolutely a mixed bag.

His use of clear committee signings too wasn't brilliant - his use of Firmino was completely against where Firmino is to be played. Same with Nuri Sahin - when he did play I remember him being played almost as an 8 when he was not quick enough to play that far up the field.

It being so divided was a massive massive issue. Not all Rodgers, but his eye in the transfer market still seemed suspect

I don't disagree with any of that or the idea that Rodgers' had a poor eye for a transfer. However, I still maintain that the dysfunction should firmly be laid at the club's door, they were the ones that gave up on the idea of a Director of Football as soon as Rodgers was appointed and endorsed the whole mishmash of a transfer committee structure. It was doomed to failure from the beginning. I see parallels with the situation at the club right now as well.
'Sold a couple once.'

Offline Romford_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2034 on: April 3, 2023, 04:03:25 pm »
Perhaps for this season but for most seasons I would say it does not. In game at least Klopp would make plenty of changes where possible to flip it on it's head. It's why we kept Origi for so long because he was something completely different to our starting options

The more I watch us, the more I think it's less his style (this season) and more about the players not being able to adapt. The type of football we played when Klopp arrived seemed a lot different to that id did over the mast few years. I get why. The explosive counter-pressing doesn't really work too well when over half the teams you play use a low block. Instead you have to become more about possession and control. So we did.

Now that the teams star has faded a tad, it feels like we would be best to go back to the more explosive counter-pressing style but it's like the team no longer really know how to do it.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #2035 on: April 3, 2023, 04:14:15 pm »
Folks here are too sanctimonious and tediously so. There is no equivalence in stature between Klopp or Rodgers, but it is striking that the club fucked up with transfers (now whether that was Rodgers' fault in 2014 is neither here nor there). He was shafted in so much as he was expected to replace Luis Suarez with Rickie Lambert and Mario Balotelli.

well clearly it matters who was behind it if you are going to use it to make some sort of point  ;D Because it was one of the biggest problems here when Rodgers was manager.

But you are right about the club fucking up. They fucked up the moment they allowed Rodgers to call the shots, imagine bringing in a manager from Swansea who’d won fuck all of note in his career and allowing him to refuse to work with a sporting director. If it’d been Klopp who put his foot down you’d get it, but not the other way round. Whole thing was mad from the get-go.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2036 on: April 3, 2023, 06:12:24 pm »
Wow some of the comments in here.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2037 on: April 3, 2023, 06:44:28 pm »

The thing is, Rodgers wanted full control, and the "transfer committee" was an ad-hoc compromise.  Some of our better players brought in, Rodgers didn't want to utilise, or didn't know how, as they weren't his. Klopp took the raw material and made something of it. We ended up with players like Benteke, Balotelli and Bobby. We know which players left and which stuck around.

We've done well in the transfer market under Jurgen, up until everything went to heck with the backroom staff. I don't know how much influence/control he has had in regards to signings - especially recently - but he's always done well with most of the players brought in. And those few who didn't fit have been moved on with minimal disruption or financial loss.

But my point is, Klopp might have instructed the higher ups as to which players he wanted, and maybe some "B" targets if they couldn't get them; but Rodgers definitely signed some players off his own bat, whilst others were brought in for him to work with. He seemed to resent those players being around.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2038 on: April 3, 2023, 08:51:35 pm »
Can we keep his personal life and hearsay out of here please?
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2039 on: April 3, 2023, 10:29:29 pm »
Can we keep his personal life and hearsay out of here please?

If you insist but I have some breaking Mylene Klass news I’d like to share.