Author Topic: Dejan Lovren  (Read 510748 times)

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Dejan Lovren
« Reply #400 on: September 17, 2016, 12:23:17 am »
Immense though that's his 2016 so nothing new.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #401 on: September 17, 2016, 12:33:49 am »
Man, I got him so wrong. I said after his first season he'd never be a top CB, just didn't have it in him to not have a brain fart. He's turned those brain farts into FUCK YOU goals. Love it. What a class finish too, hard enough, without the distraction of Mane half going for it as well.
If he hadn't have scored I'd still have bumped the thread mate. At the ground it really was quite disturbing how easily people were prepared to turn against him.

Of course I say that after berating people who moan about moaning which has been endemic for 70 years because it has always happened without social media, Most recently Whelan got it as well in the glory days, but Lovren has been subject to intensive criticism at our "current level", not the Whelan area level.

Offline simesy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #402 on: September 17, 2016, 12:43:33 am »
Man, I got him so wrong. I said after his first season he'd never be a top CB, just didn't have it in him to not have a brain fart. He's turned those brain farts into FUCK YOU goals. Love it. What a class finish too, hard enough, without the distraction of Mane half going for it as well.
You and I as well as many others wrote him off and let's face it he was performing poorly and had no confidence. But I Love the way he's turned it around. He's been very good all year and I think jk has to get some credit for getting us organised at the back. I really hope his partnership with matip continues to look solid.
When you're in the penalty area & dont know what to do with the ball, stick it in the net & we'll discuss the options later"  Bob Paisley

Offline ass sitting midfielder

• No new LFC topics
  • Main Stander
    • http://a.disquscdn.com/uploads/users/10882/8584/avatar92.jpg?1453804063
Dejan Lovren
« Reply #403 on: September 17, 2016, 01:47:35 am »
He is a bit...good. Isnt he? Great strike Dejan

Offline shrompsolod

• Boys Pen
« Reply #404 on: September 17, 2016, 01:49:40 am »
Top lad

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #405 on: September 17, 2016, 02:01:15 am »

• No new LFC topics
  • Main Stander
« Reply #406 on: September 17, 2016, 02:05:16 am »

• No new LFC topics
  • Main Stander
« Reply #407 on: September 17, 2016, 02:18:16 am »
He was superb. A bit of a hoofing but when you have so sweet footballer like Matip alongside they will target YOU. Still, for a centreback, he does look reasonably two footed. Great in the air as well. Fantastic goal, most forwards wouldnt be able to finish it like that. Perfect strike.

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #408 on: September 17, 2016, 02:22:12 am »
Although Hendo was probably MotM tonight, Lovren was a very close second. He was absolutely class tonight, and alongside Matip, they are the pairing to take us forward.

Personally, I loved that he resorted to the hoof at times. We need that no-nonsense mentality in tight situations. With Matip's zeal and Lovren's hard-nosed approached, it makes for a good partnership moving forward.

As for his goal. Beckenbauer would've been proud!

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #409 on: September 17, 2016, 02:27:04 am »
Delighted he's turned things around, we come from the same city, makes it even sweeter. Samo tako nastavi Dejane!!!

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #410 on: September 17, 2016, 08:53:24 am »
It's been a year since that WHU performance, hasn't it? That's 12 months he's player at a really high level. And what a finish yesterday, didn't strike it like a defender  ;D

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #411 on: September 17, 2016, 01:55:00 pm »
“We have so many players here on the bench that can make a difference, we have a brilliant squad, the 25 players here, even those in the stand are top players."
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Online na fir dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #412 on: September 17, 2016, 01:58:46 pm »
from our worst defender to best and hes scoring goals as well

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #413 on: September 17, 2016, 02:07:28 pm »
He's very strong mentally, he has to have been to have come back from the depths he had reached.

I always look at players and assess if they could be title winners. I think he's got that clutch ability. Big performances in big games. I'm still concerned when he's up against a player 1 on 1 but there's not many CBs who are entirely comfortable there anyway.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #414 on: September 17, 2016, 02:10:51 pm »
Superb goal last night. Like his shiner too.
#JFT97

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #415 on: September 17, 2016, 07:09:36 pm »
He is now worth the money we paid!

He is good but I worry that one injury to Lovren or Matip would mess up our defence again. I'd still like to see us sign one other defender assuming Sakho leaves, or otherwise see Gomez reintroduced to the first team and made into a viable option.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #416 on: September 17, 2016, 07:15:54 pm »
Proving me to be an idiot with every passing game. Ah well.. 😊

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #417 on: September 17, 2016, 07:20:41 pm »
Proving me to be an idiot with every passing game. Ah well.. 😊
I wanted him sold at the end of his first season. It was a huge lesson for me to be learned that players need more than one season and that`s it`s hugely important whether managers are using them properly.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #418 on: September 17, 2016, 10:38:38 pm »
I wanted him sold at the end of his first season. It was a huge lesson for me to be learned that players need more than one season and that`s it`s hugely important whether managers are using them properly.

Do you think it is time? I'm not sure. He seemed to thrive with 2 DMs in front of him at Southampton. But under Rodgers he had little protection and huge areas to cover. Now under Klopp, our set-up seems to cater to him more.

In the past my frustration with Lovren was in part due to my frustration that Rodgers preferred him over Sakho. I was happy when we started to see a Sakho - Lovren pairing with Lucas and then Can in front of them. Once again he had more support and thrived.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #419 on: September 17, 2016, 10:43:13 pm »
Lovren - Matip duo starting to develop nice... we need a solid CB partnership for long time..

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #420 on: September 17, 2016, 11:20:12 pm »
Do you think it is time?
It`s much more than just time and I agree right now he must feel comfortable in a set-up that`s very similar to how he played at Soton with midfielders offering great protection through the middle and fullbacks putting in tackles and being reliable. I don`t know if he figured it out on his own or he got good advice from coaches but even before Klopp arrived last season he found that necessary stability by practically toning down on Luiz-ness if you know what I mean.

I knew he`d thrive under Klopp because as a Sacchi student Klopp was always gonna make us well organized without the ball, compact and tough to be opened through the middle. In Klopp era our underlying defensive numbers are Top 4 level but what was letting us down were silly individual mistakes and a keeper that doesn`t save much - with Matip and Milner we seem to be on a way to reduce those mistakes which might finally put us in a position to be a team that concedes less than 1 goal per game which is what we need to be successful this season.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #421 on: September 18, 2016, 12:25:35 am »
 I think a big part of is his positioning. He was always too far away from his fullback and that more than anything was causing headaches. That's not happening anymore whether he's on the left or right.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #422 on: September 18, 2016, 12:37:05 am »

Me too! Honestly thought he was utter gash at one point. Now I think he's excellent. Remarkable turnaround.

Someone should feed me humble pie and then smash the pie over my head and beat me with a broom stick. I deserve it.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #423 on: September 18, 2016, 03:10:06 am »
I think a big part of is his positioning. He was always too far away from his fullback and that more than anything was causing headaches. That's not happening anymore whether he's on the left or right.
He's also been playing mostly alongside Sahko, and recently Matip, two defenders that are calm on the ball with a great eye for a pass, as opposed to Skrtel whereby Lovren was the playmaking outlet.
Additionally,  he's got Milner playing on his left side, a player that thinks before the ball is in his vicinity.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #424 on: September 18, 2016, 03:31:59 am »
I used to absolutely shit myself every time the ball went near him, how times have changed.

Not all that surprising though. He was great for Southampton and brilliant for Lyon for a couple of years.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #425 on: September 18, 2016, 03:41:48 am »
I used to absolutely shit myself every time the ball went near him, how times have changed.

Not all that surprising though. He was great for Southampton and brilliant for Lyon for a couple of years.

Brilliant at Lyon? I heard he was a bit average there.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #426 on: September 18, 2016, 03:48:11 am »
Brilliant at Lyon? I heard he was a bit average there.
Wont pretend i saw much of him there but ourselves and a lot of other teams were linked with him at the time. His form then dipped which is how he ended up at Southampton a couple of years later.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #427 on: September 18, 2016, 12:11:24 pm »

I recall Bilic saying before Rodgers was sacked that Lovren basically needs to be given one role in defence and that Rodgers was asking him to do far too many things. I think that is definitely one thing Klopp has done: massively simplified his game.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #428 on: September 18, 2016, 12:31:04 pm »
Wont pretend i saw much of him there but ourselves and a lot of other teams were linked with him at the time. His form then dipped which is how he ended up at Southampton a couple of years later.

He was linked with a lot of clubs before he moved to Lyon. Chelsea were seriously interested when he was at Zagreb, iirc.

I recall Bilic saying before Rodgers was sacked that Lovren basically needs to be given one role in defence and that Rodgers was asking him to do far too many things. I think that is definitely one thing Klopp has done: massively simplified his game.

Definitely.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #429 on: September 18, 2016, 12:46:57 pm »
Be it Lovren or anybody else I love it when players come good, if you think we're made up with Lovren imagine how he feels!

Just hope this run of form continues, and with it his partnership with Matip develops into something we haven't see for ages at Liverpool, i.e a solid,reliable 1st choice CB pairing.

Deffo reckon seeing the calm influence of Milner in support has helped his game.
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #430 on: September 18, 2016, 11:14:36 pm »

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #431 on: September 20, 2016, 11:59:15 am »
              Karius
Clyne Matip Lovren Milner

Actually looks pretty decent now.

Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #432 on: September 20, 2016, 06:19:33 pm »
              Karius
Clyne Matip Lovren Milner

Actually looks pretty decent now.

It does, although no clean sheets in 5 league games is a slight concern (I know Lucas played one of those games and a freak mistake from him cost us a goal).

8 goals conceded in the first 5 games isn't great, but we're not conceding tonnes of chances so hopefully we'll start to keep some clean sheets going forward.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #433 on: September 20, 2016, 09:40:19 pm »
It does, although no clean sheets in 5 league games is a slight concern (I know Lucas played one of those games and a freak mistake from him cost us a goal).

8 goals conceded in the first 5 games isn't great, but we're not conceding tonnes of chances so hopefully we'll start to keep some clean sheets going forward.

Well, 5 of those were in the first two games. And you're absolutely right about the relatively few chances we're conceding. Except for when we concede a goal a la Costa or Vardy, we don't actually look like conceding at all. After the first two games I think there was a statistic that said opposing teams had scored from almost every shot on target at that point. This will ultimately mean much fewer goals conceded over the course of the season, as the mistakes and luck regress to the mean.

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #434 on: October 1, 2016, 03:48:59 pm »
Hope his injury isn't too serious.

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #435 on: October 1, 2016, 03:52:12 pm »
HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOF!
AHA!

Offline ZeusMetallica

• Kopite
« Reply #436 on: October 1, 2016, 04:13:23 pm »
Another injury eh. Hopefully it's nothing too serious. He did very well again today.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #437 on: October 1, 2016, 04:16:17 pm »
Is he going to miss the international break?
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #438 on: October 1, 2016, 04:18:18 pm »

I hope he avoid any breaks.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #439 on: October 1, 2016, 04:18:51 pm »

He doesn't have a very good relationship with the Croatia manager, so he would probably miss it anyway. Besides, we don't know how serious his injury is and he's got 17 days before our next game.