Author Topic: The Golf Thread  (Read 313064 times)

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Golf Thread
« Reply #760 on: August 8, 2019, 07:53:14 pm »
Should have never posted in this thread. Shot 83 today.. :(

;)

Protecting your handicap eh!

Still a decent round

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #761 on: August 9, 2019, 10:24:45 am »
some good shooting there

I have taken to backing Cameron Smith these days, am sure it will pay off eventually

1/5 odds top 8. Currently in top 20 at the Northern Trust

100/1

let me down a few times recently but potential is there.
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline nuts100

• RAWK's Squirrel Accountant
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #762 on: August 9, 2019, 02:57:09 pm »
My last four rounds of golf have been 82, 82, 80, 76.

76 is my joint lowest score ever.  8)

Playing again today.

I think my 11.9 handicap index is going to go down at the next revision.  ;D

Bandit
I play off 8 and I’d have no chance.

My last 6 rounds have been mid 70’s to mid 80’s
You’ll pretty much crucify any single handicapper and most that play off high teens with those scores.

Play again tomorrow but this post will be the kids of death. As long as I get some skins and closest to the pin all good

Offline goalrushatgoodison

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Still waiting for the great leap forward.
« Reply #763 on: August 9, 2019, 07:11:52 pm »
some good shooting there

I have taken to backing Cameron Smith these days, am sure it will pay off eventually

1/5 odds top 8. Currently in top 20 at the Northern Trust

100/1

let me down a few times recently but potential is there.

good player - needs tough conditions to be seen at his best. excellent in the wind.
Those whom the Gods would destroy, they first make mad.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #764 on: August 9, 2019, 11:02:01 pm »
good player - needs tough conditions to be seen at his best. excellent in the wind.
went +5 for last 5 to miss the cut. Sigh

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #765 on: August 10, 2019, 12:58:11 am »
Can we discuss Bale here?
Believer

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #766 on: August 10, 2019, 01:34:11 am »
If anyone is watching the Korn Ferry Tour finals, where the lads are trying to earn their tour card off the Junior tour, i've played this course. Top 25 earn their cards this weekend.

Pumpkin Ridge Witch Hollow Course ( Private course). Where Tiger won his last US Amateur.

Better hit it straight and the greens have more undulation than tv can show.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 01:36:31 am by 4pool »
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #767 on: August 11, 2019, 11:21:32 am »
I see Bryson DeChambeau's getting a some criticism for slow play, which does take the piss, apparently even his playing partners Justin Thomas & Tommy Fleetwood looked bored because of it, fining players is no use with the money players make on tour, the authorities need to docking shots.
#Sausages

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #768 on: August 11, 2019, 11:31:47 am »
I see Bryson DeChambeau's getting a some criticism for slow play, which does take the piss, apparently even his playing partners Justin Thomas & Tommy Fleetwood looked bored because of it, fining players is no use with the money players make on tour, the authorities need to docking shots.

Two minutes over an eight foot putt is a piss take

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #769 on: August 11, 2019, 03:25:31 pm »
His reaction to it was also that of a petulant spoilt rich country club brat

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #770 on: August 12, 2019, 11:49:18 pm »
It would do anyone's nut in. I try to be quick personally.  Nothing worse than running to save a few seconds then lose it all ten fold because of someone fucking around.

I lost the head with a playing partner. Was him and me Vs two others. Every putt he would wait til his go til he lined things up. Stood there. Walks up to the hole, walks back. Walks around the hole, walks back, picks up his ball, cleans it, puts it back down twisting it this way and That way then stops to chat.

takes 6 practice putts then hits it. Putt stops 6 inches fro. Hole, he marks it, cleans it another 6 practice swings and finally done. Head wrecking

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #771 on: August 13, 2019, 01:12:06 am »
Played in a threesome today with a neighbor and my son.

There's a notorious slow play group that is in front of us. Takes them nearly 4 1/2 hours to play 18 holes early in the morning with no one in front of them.

Today there was just two of them. Tee'd off and were two holes ahead of us when we started. We played through the two of them on 12. We finished in 3 hours 12 minutes. Nearly three holes ahead of the two of them.

Leader of the group is "Stimpmeter" Paul...lol. He has his own stimpmeter and stimps the practice putting green before starting.

The type who looks at every angle for every shot. Turns out he is/was an engineer of some sort.

Because we know him well enough and we play fast, he let's us through. But if there are groups in between us, he's poor at letting others past.

Wish he wouldn't play on Monday as its the only day my son and I can play together. And he can't get to the course earlier due to getting the kids off to daycare.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #772 on: August 13, 2019, 12:54:05 pm »
Ridiculous

Fella I mentioned above would out you off it. Incidentally the round I described above the one time I was lining up a putt for a bit he trampled on my line after me warning him not too. Queue of people behind us

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #773 on: August 22, 2019, 03:27:47 pm »
What's with this new format for the PGA Tour Championship, it seems bizarre you can shoot the best score of the week & not win, Justin Thomas starts at -10, Rory McIlroy -5, Tommy Fleetwood starts 9 shots behind Thomas. ???
#Sausages

Offline BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #774 on: August 22, 2019, 03:36:10 pm »
What's with this new format for the PGA Tour Championship, it seems bizarre you can shoot the best score of the week & not win, Justin Thomas starts at -10, Rory McIlroy -5, Tommy Fleetwood starts 9 shots behind Thomas. ???

Yeah, been discussing it over on the fantasy thread, it's utterly ridiculous.

Online Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #775 on: August 23, 2019, 09:13:36 am »
That Tour Championship and FedEX cup race has suddenly got exciting.  JT feeling the pressure.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #776 on: August 23, 2019, 09:20:55 am »
That Tour Championship and FedEX cup race has suddenly got exciting.  JT feeling the pressure.

They’ve got away with it as had JT got off to a flyer it was dead

Now the staggering has been levelled out it’s a tremendous leaderboard

Should be a great three days now

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #777 on: August 23, 2019, 10:12:29 am »
The stagger leaderboard at the start was a strange one to see and Sky pundits were comparing it to the hcp system that works so well for us joe soaps...... it should do the same this weekend. That might be the case if it was just amateurs but they got lucky as most of the field have no chance this weekend. Plus the smaller field has meant the viewership will probably be down due to the no Tiger effect. Why reduce it to 30 players when Top 50 or 75 would insure a greater chance of seeing an upset / fave player.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #778 on: August 23, 2019, 10:19:08 am »
The stagger leaderboard at the start was a strange one to see and Sky pundits were comparing it to the hcp system that works so well for us joe soaps...... it should do the same this weekend. That might be the case if it was just amateurs but they got lucky as most of the field have no chance this weekend. Plus the smaller field has meant the viewership will probably be down due to the no Tiger effect. Why reduce it to 30 players when Top 50 or 75 would insure a greater chance of seeing an upset / fave player.

I don't like it as you can shoot the best score of the week & still not win, they got lucky JT had a mare on some holes.

Also what's with the extra $5 million in prize money for the winner, it's not going to mean much for already multi millionaire golfers, extra FEDEX cup points or something might have been better
#Sausages

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #779 on: August 25, 2019, 09:44:19 pm »
Rory looking imperious today

Soon to be $15 million richer :o

Edit - wheels coming off but back on again
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 10:28:55 pm by dudleyred »

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #780 on: August 25, 2019, 11:30:15 pm »
Rory looking imperious today

Soon to be $15 million richer :o

Edit - wheels coming off but back on again

Man utd need the money for a new midfielder. Rory can chip in now... ;)

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #781 on: August 26, 2019, 01:47:01 am »
Put his big boy pants on
However means shit compared to majors imho

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #782 on: August 27, 2019, 03:00:12 pm »
went head to head with cop car and did the business

its usually the other way around

no doubt he has been sleeping on a bed of money all week

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #783 on: September 13, 2019, 06:37:07 pm »
Solheim Cup been good today

Europe fighting back in penultimate four ball tonight

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #784 on: September 13, 2019, 07:01:55 pm »
2 down 4 to play

1 up on 18th and lost the hole to half their match

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #785 on: September 13, 2019, 07:03:22 pm »
Last match need a put to win now after being three up three to play :o

Great matchplay

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #786 on: September 13, 2019, 11:35:51 pm »
Ive got a free ticket for sat and sunday and a car parking pass if anyone wants it
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #787 on: September 14, 2019, 10:05:31 am »
What's going on with the Sky coverage of the Solheim Cup? Why aren't they showing any yardage's even for the par 3's?
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #788 on: September 14, 2019, 10:12:45 am »
Ive got a free ticket for sat and sunday and a car parking pass if anyone wants it

Great offer that, fair play

Hope someone can take you up on it
What's going on with the Sky coverage of the Solheim Cup? Why aren't they showing any yardage's even for the par 3's?

Thought there was something missing yesterday! Not a clue why

Amazing the difference it makes knowing the yardage

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #789 on: September 14, 2019, 10:31:51 am »
Great offer that, fair play

Hope someone can take you up on it
Thought there was something missing yesterday! Not a clue why

Amazing the difference it makes knowing the yardage

What makes it worse is that I don't have a feel for how far the ladies hit it, I thought I'd heard the commentator say that one of the par 3's was 150 odd and she was hitting what looked like a crossover into it which seemed a lot of club for that distance.
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #790 on: September 15, 2019, 08:27:05 pm »
Great win for the euro ladies
Always like a Euro win in these comps

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #791 on: September 16, 2019, 03:11:06 pm »

The tee boxes had signage.

On Saturdays play one of the Europeans had 128 yards left and our commentary said she was hitting a 6 iron. Mind you, the wind was blowing 30-40 mph..lol

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #792 on: September 16, 2019, 04:40:23 pm »
The tee boxes had signage.

On Saturdays play one of the Europeans had 128 yards left and our commentary said she was hitting a 6 iron. Mind you, the wind was blowing 30-40 mph..lol

Was strange watching them in woolly hats and tons of layers and then flicking back to the cricket with it being glorious sunshine and 25 degrees.

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #793 on: September 16, 2019, 08:28:31 pm »
I was a walking Marshall for this and looked after Charley Hull for the Saturday and Sunday. She's a nice kid, and her hubby to be (mma fighter) is a really nice guy. He was part of the friends and family so allowed to walk round with us - but not go on the fairways.  Had to ask him a few times to move back towards the ropes and managed not to get drop kicked.

Charley really should have had her game sewn up against Megan, but firstly couldnt nail a putt to get back from 2 down although she had chances. Then had chances to finish the game earlier.

Walking up the 18th and Megan was short of the green and Charley took her wood out I was shouting (in my head) noooo just knock it up with hers. I've played that hole and up and down from either side of it when the flags in that position is an absolute nightmare. Much easier shot from the front of it. Then called that she would knock her putt over the green after she came up short and ran off. I've done it myself and just knew she was going to do it. I was gutted for her.

When she finished I sat next to the right hand bunker with a great view of the hole. The american girls were congregated to my right and when it was 3 matches left and only a half point needed lets just say they were very very confident. Which was only fair really. They were high fiving each other all over the place and generally just being exhuberant youngsters. One of the USA players mothers (I think it was Kangs) was up bouncing about getting their crowd wound up, and up to a point generally winding people up as they were briefed to behave if inside of the ropes. Don't think anyone got too upset about it though.

From where we were we couldnt see the live scores as the bottom matches were covered by the crowd from our view. We knew something was up though as Juli was just up from us and her demeanor had changed, and the rest of the USA team seemed a lot more subdued.  That must have been when the rookie put it in the bunker on the 17th. The next we heard was someone on our net saying (in bad voice procedure) "Bloody hell shes won it here on the 17th, its all on the 18th, whats going on there?"

When Suzann hit her ball on we watched it coming in and I was thinking "sit down sit down". Not many players had had a lot of spin on the greens and was relieved when it spun back, then started shouting "slow the fuck down, slow the fuck down." Great shot in and matched by Alex. Putting comp with someone whod played twice (maybe 3) in the last 2 years and missed 2 cuts.

Cue pandemonium when she nailed it.

Funny bit was when the crowd got on the green and it was all a bit mental a copper and a green steward asked me if I could "start getting all these people off the green". Yeah good luck with that lad - not my remit. We just had to make sure the players got out safely.

We took the american team back to the practice chipping area and surprisingly they didnt seem THAT upset. I'd have been gutted/livid. Although Lexi didnt seem happy at all.  Apparently she hadnt been happy for a few days and it's thought she had a back spasm that was affecting her putting and she was in a lot of pain.

We then took them to the staging area prior to the presentation and they were in good spirits. 2 of the girls necking a pint of lager in one while they waited with us. Or trying too :-)

Then team Europe arrived and they seemed delighted but quite subdued really. I'm sure the party afterwards was boss though.

The biggest thing I'll take out of it was how polite ALL of the players/caddies/team staff were to us... and how much slighter the players were compared to what I thought they were. And they can knock a ball... with regularity.

Got a couple of pics and a vid from the 18th but we werent allowed to take pics when working so not great ones.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 09:27:58 pm by blert596 »
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #794 on: September 16, 2019, 08:55:42 pm »
Nice one blert.

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #795 on: September 16, 2019, 09:29:36 pm »
Yeah the women are pretty impressive
They have a great short game on the whole, putting and chipping almost on a par with the top males.

Lexi and the Kordas along with the one euro can’t half knock the shot out of it. I’d say their drives are more accurate however a lot shorter than the top mens

Probably on or close to Zach Johnson are some of the ladies

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #796 on: September 16, 2019, 09:38:18 pm »
Enjoyed that, blert. What a fantastic finish with Pettersen justifying her selection and then oddly announcing her retirement from golf minutes later.

Offline blert596

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #797 on: September 16, 2019, 10:40:24 pm »
Enjoyed that, blert. What a fantastic finish with Pettersen justifying her selection and then oddly announcing her retirement from golf minutes later.

Thanks, it was quite an experience. I've been to a couple of Opens as a spectator but interacting with, and being 3 or 4 yards away from the players at times is something else. Not sure if Charley had a bag on (excuse the pun) with Joe on the transition to the 9th but she didn't go in her assigned cart but asked if she could go in the 6 seater one. You can go in whatever one you want Charley. Did I mention she's a red?

I know the highlights, for both the men and women, give a false impression of everyone putting it on a sixpence, but realistically that's not a true representation of what goes on. There's a whole lot of poor/average shots that no-one sees. I don't mean shanks or thins, but leaving things short, overhitting or just plain offline. Understandable on Saturday to an extent as the wind was totally unpredictable (and freezing) but Sunday was as nice as it gets at Gleneagles. Still a lot of shots going awry - nerves? Percentage wise compared to us mortals though - way ahead.

I would say the holes weren't any longer than the white tees for a normal round, or didn't seem that way. Certainly the 18th wasn't reachable for me in 2 off whites but a mate of mine put it to one side in 2. I think I mentioned elsewhere that the distance to the rear tees on the 4th was mad. Its actually the 3rd but its about 50 yards behind the whites. The women played off the yellows tee area on Sunday I think. Twat of a hole.

Attached a pic of where I stayed on the 18th after Charley finished.

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #798 on: September 16, 2019, 11:39:57 pm »
I think we all know that either of these sides would likely get hammered by the Asians! I'll be attending a women's event down here in November (I go every year) with a couple of mates. So Charley's a Red? Now I like her even more!

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #799 on: September 17, 2019, 01:20:11 am »
Any more Reds in that group? Besides Vice Captain Laura Davies.