Author Topic: The Golf Thread  (Read 313060 times)

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
Re: The Golf Thread
« Reply #600 on: September 24, 2018, 09:29:34 am »
Some of the younger players on tour are going to suffer immeasurably in the years to come I reckon. They're not smooth swingers. We've already seen Jason Day have no end of problems.
McIlroy might

yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #601 on: September 24, 2018, 06:53:50 pm »
Was a very enjoyable weekend for Tiger as nice to see a comeback like that although the rest of the field didnt exactly rip up the course. The main guys on Sunday morning including Tiger struggled in the afternoon by shooting 71 and worse. Still it was a nice tight finish to the Fedex race as Rose stumbled over the line. Hats off to Tiger as his body has been through the ringer. The man has probably gone through more operations and HGH than any professional athlete.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #602 on: September 25, 2018, 10:55:53 am »
Does he have another major in him?

If he wins one next year can he win several before he's finally done?
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #603 on: September 25, 2018, 11:48:06 am »
if there were more majors this year he would win one.

he nearly won 2 this year as it was

if he keeps this form up he will be a good bet for the masters but wait and see. he is playing as good as anyone right now

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #604 on: September 25, 2018, 07:33:35 pm »
If Tiger DOESN'T win another major i'll be very very surprised.

These young guns have never really had to look up a leader-board and see a fit and well Tiger Woods above them.  Likewise they also haven't had him breathing down their neck come Sunday afternoon on a Major.

The man's mental resolve is second to none.

Saying that, Koepka managed it in the PGA a few months ago. But Brookes isn't going to be challenging in every single major whereas Tiger will be for the next year or two at least IMO.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #605 on: January 8, 2019, 10:08:23 am »
Harrington set to be announced officially as ryder cup captain for 2020

Has USA picked theirs? think steve stricker was favorite

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #606 on: January 8, 2019, 02:03:58 pm »
Harrington set to be announced officially as ryder cup captain for 2020

Has USA picked theirs? think steve stricker was favorite

No Wildcard for Sergio then!

Offline nuts100

• RAWK's Squirrel Accountant
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #607 on: January 8, 2019, 03:49:19 pm »
No Wildcard for Sergio then!

Sorted out differences at Rory’s wedding, if reports are to be believed

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #608 on: January 8, 2019, 04:02:16 pm »
Was wondering who the sacrificial lamb Captain would be when Europe loses the Cup in the USA.  :P
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #609 on: February 20, 2019, 08:37:08 pm »
Bumped for hellrazor

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #610 on: February 21, 2019, 09:56:03 am »
Bumped for hellrazor
cheers pal

so yeah Stricker the new ryder cup captain

no surprise really

also

https://www.the42.ie/rory-mcilroy-set-to-miss-2019-irish-open-4504983-Feb2019/

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #611 on: February 26, 2019, 04:33:38 pm »
Royal Liverpool to host the Open in 2022
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/47376289
#Sausages

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #612 on: February 26, 2019, 04:46:57 pm »

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #613 on: February 26, 2019, 06:55:28 pm »
Hope to get there and Royal St George next year as only a 3 hour drive from my mates who is a keen fan and has a camper perfect for a wee golf trip.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #614 on: February 27, 2019, 10:46:58 am »
Houses here at Portrush are renting for 20 grand for Open week!  Madness.  I have a friend who owns a shop, she has been offered 10 grand to have her parking space in Portstewart for the week!!!

See the R/A are now having reservations about hosting the Open at Portrush due to Brexit??  Not sure why that would matter?

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #615 on: February 27, 2019, 10:48:24 am »
Houses here at Portrush are renting for 20 grand for Open week!  Madness.  I have a friend who owns a shop, she has been offered 10 grand to have her paking space in Portstewart for the week!!!

Nice little earner. Move out. Go on holiday. Grab the cash if not going the golf of course which I know you will be

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #616 on: February 27, 2019, 02:29:25 pm »
Too much hassle in my opinion.  Can you imagine if some American lawyer staying your house bangs his head on the doorframe or burns himself on the kettle?  Nightmare.

I think I'll probably only go to the golf on one practice day and the Friday.  Couldn't be doing with all that faff on Saturday/Sunday.  I'm one of the score markers on the Friday, so that'll be good.  Although I do have access to the clubhouse and a car park spot.

So if anyone is keen to come to the event, I will have some free tickets.  I get 3 for the 7 days, and while I will have to give a few to friends locally, if anyone from here needs any sorting I'll try my best to help out.

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #617 on: February 27, 2019, 03:20:48 pm »
Houses here at Portrush are renting for 20 grand for Open week!  Madness.  I have a friend who owns a shop, she has been offered 10 grand to have her parking space in Portstewart for the week!!!

See the R/A are now having reservations about hosting the Open at Portrush due to Brexit??  Not sure why that would matter?

I read earlier they are concerned about the impact Brexit will have on shipping and the border. They have 2000 containers to bring over from the start of April to start building stands etc. and it seems they were planning to bring some in via Dublin but a potential border could scupper that.

It was also mentioned they weren't too pleased about flybmi going bust as it had a few routes from the City of Derry.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #618 on: February 27, 2019, 04:43:33 pm »
I read earlier they are concerned about the impact Brexit will have on shipping and the border. They have 2000 containers to bring over from the start of April to start building stands etc. and it seems they were planning to bring some in via Dublin but a potential border could scupper that.

It was also mentioned they weren't too pleased about flybmi going bust as it had a few routes from the City of Derry.

You can be sure the majority of them voted Brexit then  ;D
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #619 on: February 27, 2019, 07:32:12 pm »
Too much hassle in my opinion.  Can you imagine if some American lawyer staying your house bangs his head on the doorframe or burns himself on the kettle?  Nightmare.

I think I'll probably only go to the golf on one practice day and the Friday.  Couldn't be doing with all that faff on Saturday/Sunday.  I'm one of the score markers on the Friday, so that'll be good.  Although I do have access to the clubhouse and a car park spot.

So if anyone is keen to come to the event, I will have some free tickets.  I get 3 for the 7 days, and while I will have to give a few to friends locally, if anyone from here needs any sorting I'll try my best to help out.

I presume everything will be Park and ride mate? How close to Portrush would you be able to get to by car?

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #620 on: February 27, 2019, 07:40:29 pm »
Sorted out differences at Rory’s wedding, if reports are to be believed

A Straightener?
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline cowtownred

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #621 on: February 28, 2019, 09:28:26 am »
I presume everything will be Park and ride mate? How close to Portrush would you be able to get to by car?

Yeah I'm certain all roads will be closed.  We have car park access to the clubhouse, don't know how that works yet, wheteher we are allowed through a manned checkpoint or if it's something on the windscreen.  For all the spectators they will be bussed in. Last big tournament the nearest park and rides were in Coleraine, so about 6-7 miles away.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #622 on: February 28, 2019, 04:48:38 pm »

If you have any spare tickets I might be interested in two for one of the days as was surprised to see them sell out so quick. Hell of a drive for me - 7 hours but was thinking of making a wee trip of it and golfing in Sligo or Donegal as well for a couple of days. Cheers

PS - PM if you have spare tickets. Thanks Cowtownred

Offline cowtownred

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #623 on: February 28, 2019, 07:28:09 pm »
Replied.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #624 on: March 6, 2019, 02:58:18 pm »
enjoy that cowtown. i might keep an eye out for you :D

looking forward to this immensely

no surprise at all about places charging that. but this

10 grand for a car park spot? what the hell?

luckily i have a couple of options. ill be heading home saturday all the same

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #625 on: March 6, 2019, 03:32:35 pm »

As it's single track roads to Portrush, the car parks will be miles away with a bus to the course. When the Open is on at Hoylake, there's a couple of park & rides, those who know one on the Meols stretch [A553], another one West Kirby/Newton, with a bus to the course, normally the park & ride is £15 mark maybe more nowadays. There is a rail link to Portrush, must change at Coleraine, but not sure how often the trains will be when the Open is on.
#Sausages

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #626 on: March 6, 2019, 03:37:47 pm »
As it's single track roads to Portrush, the car parks will be miles away with a bus to the course. When the Open is on at Hoylake, there's a couple of park & rides, those who know one on the Meols stretch [A553], another one West Kirby/Newton, with a bus to the course, normally the park & ride is £15 mark maybe more nowadays. There is a rail link to Portrush, must change at Coleraine, but not sure how often the trains will be when the Open is on.
i heard there are specials from belfast, there was for the irish open in portstewart which isnt far away from portrush

there will be a great buzz around the place

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #627 on: March 6, 2019, 03:50:59 pm »
i heard there are specials from belfast, there was for the irish open in portstewart which isnt far away from portrush

there will be a great buzz around the place

Yep similar buzz when the Open is on at Hoylake, but take your wallet if you are going, however think your still allowed to take your own food & non alcoholic drinks in, which i did for the previous Opens at Hoylake i took a load of bottles of water when i went to the 2006 Open[which was needed, given the weather that week] drunk most of the bottles of water by early afternoon.
#Sausages

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #628 on: March 6, 2019, 04:06:17 pm »
Yep similar buzz when the Open is on at Hoylake, but take your wallet if you are going, however think your still allowed to take your own food & non alcoholic drinks in, which i did for the previous Opens at Hoylake i took a load of bottles of water when i went to the 2006 Open[which was needed, given the weather that week] drunk most of the bottles of water by early afternoon.
take me wallet everywhere pal

was wondering if id get away with smuggling in booze. probably not. can understand why not.

wherever i stay ill be planning on stocking up on sambos and bringing them in

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #629 on: March 17, 2019, 09:39:51 pm »
Great win by McIlroy in the Players Championship. Thought he was blowing it but two back to back birdies on 15 and 16 and he seals the deal with good pars coming home.

Been quite a while since he brought home a big win. He really needed that.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #630 on: March 17, 2019, 10:50:29 pm »
Great win by McIlroy in the Players Championship. Thought he was blowing it but two back to back birdies on 15 and 16 and he seals the deal with good pars coming home.

A great win against the strongest field in golf.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #631 on: March 17, 2019, 10:54:31 pm »

Seems like he’s been knocking on the door for the last few weeks.

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #632 on: March 17, 2019, 11:37:55 pm »
Didn’t think he’d do it to be honest
He made some questionable decisions over the weekend especially at 16 on Saturday. Glad he did it though, he needed a big win. Would love him to get the masters monkey off his back.

Greatest talent in the game, but frequently infuriates

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #633 on: March 18, 2019, 12:34:34 am »
Good win for McIlroy. I can't stand him but he kept it all together when the others didn't. I think if he's to ever win the Masters it'll be later on in his career; I think he wants it a little bit too much and he had the perfect opportunity last year but still couldn't do it. He'll contend because he's striking the ball wonderfully but his putting especially will cost him, IMO.

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #634 on: March 18, 2019, 03:07:43 pm »
That's the only thing the Mancs will win this season.. :P

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #635 on: March 30, 2019, 12:15:05 am »
WGC Match play.

Rory v Tiger

8:30 am Local time. 1:30 pm UK Time
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 12:29:36 am by 4pool »

Offline goalrushatgoodison

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Still waiting for the great leap forward.
« Reply #636 on: March 30, 2019, 06:53:23 am »
WGC Match play.

Rory v Tiger

8:30 am Local time. 1:30 pm UK Time

Nowhere near as interested in the run of the mill golfing tournaments, I.e. Anything other than majors, than I used to be but I will watch this. Two most exciting players in the world bar none. Rory's swing is just a joy to behold while Tiger is just Tiger.

I will find it difficult to hope that either of them actually wins though.

Those whom the Gods would destroy, they first make mad.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #637 on: March 30, 2019, 01:12:03 pm »
Nowhere near as interested in the run of the mill golfing tournaments, I.e. Anything other than majors, than I used to be but I will watch this. Two most exciting players in the world bar none. Rory's swing is just a joy to behold while Tiger is just Tiger.

I will find it difficult to hope that either of them actually wins though.

Rory is in better form. If Tiger can keep it respectable, then I think he will be ok with that. With his health, 36 in one day, probably isnt a great proposition

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #638 on: March 30, 2019, 05:23:46 pm »
Rory is in better form. If Tiger can keep it respectable, then I think he will be ok with that. With his health, 36 in one day, probably isnt a great proposition

Better form lost 2 & 1.

Rory never led.

Tiger leading 1 up going into 16. Gets it on the par 5 in three about 30 feet away.

Rory hits his drive 395 yards, has a wedge to the green. Takes a 7..concedes the hole.

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #639 on: March 30, 2019, 05:26:46 pm »
Rory folded like a cheap accordion on 16. In the driving seat to level the match only to look like a rank amateur from then on in. Talk about butchering a hole.