Author Topic: The Golf Thread  (Read 313626 times)

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Golf Thread
« Reply #400 on: June 17, 2018, 11:05:23 am »

USGA will never learn, same in 2004 at the same venue when USGA ended up watering some of the Greens during play to slow the Greens down, Shinnecock Hills is due to host the US Open again in 2026, you can bet the course will be similar conditions then.

It’s ridiculous. Will get to the point when players will swerve the tournament I reckon when it’s on tracks like this. The fans might be enough of a reason to swerve it!

Next year will be great. Pebble beach. Surely the USGA can’t fuck that up

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #401 on: June 17, 2018, 11:30:33 am »
That was pretty unwatchable yesterday. I watch to admire the shotmaking of these players, not to see anything a yard off the ideal spot, or a single roll of a ball too short or too long, get punished with a 40 yard roll off and an impossible comeback shot.

It's been a spectacle so far, but certainly not a spectacle of golf.

I hope they sort it out today, or by the time the final group go through the greens will be almost completely unplayable again and we'll end up with a winner that went out early doors while the greens were still retaining water and playable. And the current leaders get absolutely punished for being out front.

First major I've not enjoyed watching really.

All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #402 on: June 17, 2018, 11:45:31 am »
You don't mind when it's tough but fair, but it's unplayable when you're getting penalized for playing a good shot, then can't at least 2 putt from 15 foot out, without it going 30 yards off the Green without hardly touching the ball, might as well play on asphalt.
#Sausages

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #403 on: June 17, 2018, 12:10:33 pm »
Have to admire Poulter listening to those wankers while trying to play on a bloody slag heap. What a fucking crap tournament that is.

Unless Rose or Stenson win!

But yeah, the crowd seemed even more twattish than usual.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #404 on: June 17, 2018, 12:14:50 pm »
If it was every week, I would be bothered by it. But once a year, having them play a genuinely tough course, which makes each birdie valuable and not expected. I'm ok with it.

Watching Phil regress to being a toddler, was amazing.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #405 on: June 17, 2018, 12:15:42 pm »
If it was every week, I would be bothered by it. But once a year, having them play a genuinely tough course, which makes each birdie valuable and not expected. I'm ok with it.

Watching Phil regress to being a toddler, was amazing.

Except this isn't tough, it's unfair. There's a significant difference.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #406 on: June 17, 2018, 12:16:45 pm »
A tough course is fine, it was those pun positions. Poulter couldn’t have played that bunker shot on 15 much better and ended up way off the back. That doesn’t seem fair. Was it Piercy who pitted off the green the poor bastard!

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #407 on: June 17, 2018, 12:19:32 pm »
Except this isn't tough, it's unfair. There's a significant difference.
I disagree...some guys dealt with it and scored well. Others collapsed and lost the mental battle that this tournament isn't supposed to provide.

People complain about this course but Oakmomt 2007 was tougher.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 12:21:03 pm by b_joseph »

Online Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #408 on: June 17, 2018, 12:22:09 pm »
I disagree...some guys dealt with it and scored well. Others collapsed and lost the mental battle that this tournament isn't supposed to provide.

People complain about this course but Oakmomt 2007 was tougher.

The guys that scored well were the earlier starters when the greens were less shit. By late afternoon they were unplayable, tell me how that's fair?

Offline b_joseph

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #409 on: June 17, 2018, 12:23:32 pm »
The guys that scored well were the earlier starters when the greens were less shit. By late afternoon they were unplayable, tell me how that's fair?
Brooks Koepka did well..he didn't start too early.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #410 on: June 17, 2018, 12:33:34 pm »
Brooks Koepka did well..he didn't start too early.

The last 5 pairs (containing DJ, Rose, Stenson, Koepka, Fleetwood and Fowler) shot 84, 77, 76, 72, 73, 74, 78, 79 and 77 while early starters like Berger, Finau and Aphibarnrat were managing rounds in the 60s. I assume that's just coincidence or do you think those 3 are 10 shot better golfers than some of the top 10 golfers in the world?

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #411 on: June 17, 2018, 02:59:37 pm »
The last 5 pairs (containing DJ, Rose, Stenson, Koepka, Fleetwood and Fowler) shot 84, 77, 76, 72, 73, 74, 78, 79 and 77 while early starters like Berger, Finau and Aphibarnrat were managing rounds in the 60s. I assume that's just coincidence or do you think those 3 are 10 shot better golfers than some of the top 10 golfers in the world?

Well said. If this was cricket on a road at Sabina Park, would have been abandoned.

Makes a mockery of a supposed golf major.

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #412 on: June 17, 2018, 03:07:23 pm »

And you've highlighted the problem.

In the earlier tee times, the play was tough but fair.

As the afternoon wore on and the wind picked up, it made a few holes very borderline.

All the holes the later groups had problems with, 15 for instance, there still were some making par. Not just enough. As with every course, you hit it in the wrong spot and you make it tougher for yourself.

So did some caddies and players suss it out where not to hit it better on holes like 15?

If the USGA were to set up the course Saturday over again, I think the only difference would be they might move a couple pins a few feet.

So were on to today. Same wind predicted to pick up as the day goes along.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline 19th Nervous Title

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #413 on: June 17, 2018, 06:10:02 pm »
Like test cricket, golf is a weather luck game. I remember players in contention getting hammered at Turnberry in the open, Tiger been one of the most badly affected. If the wind stopped at lunch time today and afternoon rain softened the greens people would still complain.
Emily Hobhouse. Britain's finest.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #414 on: June 17, 2018, 06:26:19 pm »
Like test cricket, golf is a weather luck game. I remember players in contention getting hammered at Turnberry in the open, Tiger been one of the most badly affected. If the wind stopped at lunch time today and afternoon rain softened the greens people would still complain.

Ageee it’s weather driven but we all know that. What the USGA did was ignore the weather and put the flags in places that would start fine and turn to impossible

Early indications today there will be a lot more birdies

USGA have lost all credibility anyway this week through the course set up and not sending Phil packing yesterday

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #415 on: June 17, 2018, 06:30:52 pm »
What time are the leaders out today?

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #416 on: June 17, 2018, 06:34:34 pm »
What time are the leaders out today?

7:20 ish I think it is

Edit: 7:13 & 7:24
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 06:38:41 pm by dudleyred »

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #417 on: June 17, 2018, 06:40:31 pm »
7:20 ish I think it is

Edit: 7:13 & 7:24

Thank you Dudley.

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #418 on: June 17, 2018, 06:44:26 pm »
Ageee it’s weather driven but we all know that. What the USGA did was ignore the weather and put the flags in places that would start fine and turn to impossible

USGA have lost all credibility anyway this week through the course set up and not sending Phil packing yesterday

Lost all credibility?

You mean like the R&A did at The Open Championship when they shaved the course down, the wind picked up and they actually had to suspend the tournament due to wind as balls were being blown off greens and players couldn't even mark the ball on the greens without problems.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #419 on: June 17, 2018, 06:50:17 pm »
Lost all credibility?

You mean like the R&A did at The Open Championship when they shaved the course down, the wind picked up and they actually had to suspend the tournament due to wind as balls were being blown off greens and players couldn't even mark the ball on the greens without problems.

If you go back through history you could find many more examples from the USGA compared to the R&A I would say, but the R&A do tend to learn but also hold their hands up when they get it wrong

But yes I do think the USGA lost their credibility. Forget the course, the ruling of mickelson was enough

Offline 19th Nervous Title

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #420 on: June 17, 2018, 06:54:19 pm »

Ok, so it favours the morning field a bit. Narrows the field. The first two rounds are generally balanced out by getting an early tee time and a late one.

The winner of the US open will receive some ridiculous money. Let him earn it. Agree on the Phil incident.
Emily Hobhouse. Britain's finest.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #421 on: June 17, 2018, 06:57:05 pm »
Ok, so it favours the morning field a bit. Narrows the field. The first two rounds are generally balanced out by getting an early tee time and a late one.

The winner of the US open will receive some ridiculous money. Let him earn it. Agree on the Phil incident.

Agree over round one and two. Third round should be fair to all.

I haven’t got an issue with tough graft but it was ridiculous yesterday. Anyway today looks to be much more balanced

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #422 on: June 17, 2018, 07:03:11 pm »
Fleetwood -4 today after 8. Go on Thomas!

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #423 on: June 17, 2018, 07:05:25 pm »
Fleetwood -4 today after 8. Go on Thomas!

If he could get to -1 or -2 he’ll have a chance

Online 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #424 on: June 17, 2018, 07:15:30 pm »
If you go back through history you could find many more examples from the USGA compared to the R&A I would say, but the R&A do tend to learn but also hold their hands up when they get it wrong

But yes I do think the USGA lost their credibility. Forget the course, the ruling of mickelson was enough

The ruling on Mickelson was spot on. He received a 2 shot penalty for hitting a moving ball. Which is what the R&A and USGA have put in the rule book.

So what did you expect? Or were told to expect?

The Rules committee at the US Open includes members of the R&A. ( Just as at The Open Championship, USGA officials are part of the rules committee).They discussed the situation and felt the 2 shot penalty was the correct decision.

What you or others may want is moot.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #425 on: June 17, 2018, 07:22:41 pm »
The ruling on Mickelson was spot on. He received a 2 shot penalty for hitting a moving ball. Which is what the R&A and USGA have put in the rule book.

So what did you expect? Or were told to expect?

The Rules committee at the US Open includes members of the R&A. ( Just as at The Open Championship, USGA officials are part of the rules committee).They discussed the situation and felt the 2 shot penalty was the correct decision.

What you or others may want is moot.

Not entirely true. He broke rule 14:5 but a DQ is an option if a serious breach:

“A player is deemed to have committed a serious breach of Rule 1-2 if the Committee considers that the action taken in breach of this Rule has allowed him or another player to gain a significant advantage or has placed another player, other than his partner, at a significant disadvantage”

He obtained a significant advantage given he would have been short sided behind the bunker. It sets a poor precedent and I’d expect the loop hole to be closed now through local rules in the meantime

The Original rule was designed for things like leaving clubs lying around and the ball hitting them or the ball hitting the flag at my level when I’ve slung it to the side of the green. Phil played to the rule as he interpreted it but it was clearly nonsense and he should have been made an example of.

Edit: just read the rules again and whilst it seems they dealt with the rule correctly once they decide what to treat it as they could have DQ’d for a breach of etiquette too. Anyway I didn’t like it ;D

« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 07:38:28 pm by dudleyred »

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #426 on: June 17, 2018, 07:34:38 pm »
Reed on fire - me no like him.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #427 on: June 17, 2018, 07:35:07 pm »
Reed on fire - me no like him.

Had me excited for a split second.

Online 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #428 on: June 17, 2018, 07:45:14 pm »
Any Rule Committee would have discussed the situation with the player.

As Phil said he knew the rules and he decided a two shot penalty was better than the ball rolling down the hill behind the bunker where he had no shot.

So it was someone using the rules to his advantage. Like it or not. Being smart or a smart arse. The Rules Committee decided he, for lack of  a better description, wasn't taking the piss.

It's possible that loophole may be taked out.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #429 on: June 17, 2018, 07:52:02 pm »
Any Rule Committee would have discussed the situation with the player.

As Phil said he knew the rules and he decided a two shot penalty was better than the ball rolling down the hill behind the bunker where he had no shot.

So it was someone using the rules to his advantage. Like it or not. Being smart or a smart arse. The Rules Committee decided he, for lack of  a better description, wasn't taking the piss.

It's possible that loophole may be taked out.

Definitely in the smart arse category for me haha

Expect better of Phil. Be interesting if reed had done it. Different fall out with the public I reckon

Online 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #430 on: June 17, 2018, 07:58:38 pm »
Definitely in the smart arse category for me haha

Expect better of Phil. Be interesting if reed had done it. Different fall out with the public I reckon

I play golf left handed. Play off a 12-13 now. Once was basically a 10 handicap. Lowest was 7.

Never warmed to Phil.

So it's not me sticking up for him.  :P

I also was Handicap Chairman. Been to rules and handicap meetings put on by the USGA ( a number of moons ago mind)

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #431 on: June 17, 2018, 08:02:27 pm »
I play golf left handed. Play off a 12-13 now. Once was basically a 10 handicap. Lowest was 7.

Never warmed to Phil.

So it's not me sticking up for him.  :P

I also was Handicap Chairman. Been to rules and handicap meetings put on by the USGA ( a number of moons ago mind)

It’s just opinions

If someone had done that in a comp you were presiding over you’d want to DQ using the rules at your disposal wouldn’t you? Club level it would set a very awkward precedent wouldn’t it?

Online 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #432 on: June 17, 2018, 08:05:09 pm »
It’s just opinions

If someone had done that in a comp you were presiding over you’d want to DQ using the rules at your disposal wouldn’t you? Club level it would set a very awkward precedent wouldn’t it?

At club level some drink during the round... :P

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #433 on: June 17, 2018, 08:06:35 pm »
At club level some drink during the round... :P

Haha very true!!

Have to say I thought he had some front not withdrawing but sure we’ll hear more on it going forward

Fingers crossed Fleetwood gets a couple more

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #434 on: June 17, 2018, 08:11:50 pm »
What a run Fleetwood is on

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #435 on: June 17, 2018, 08:50:28 pm »
Fleetwood one short?

Online 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #436 on: June 17, 2018, 08:51:01 pm »
Fleetwood finishes with a 63 and +2 total.

Missed his chance for a 62, which has never been done at the US Open.

USGA making the course to easy for the final round... :P

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #437 on: June 17, 2018, 08:51:15 pm »
Fleetwood one short?

Maybe. Hell of a round though. And should earn me something at least!

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #438 on: June 17, 2018, 08:52:01 pm »
Take a bow Tommy Fleetwood
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Online 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #439 on: June 17, 2018, 09:20:12 pm »
Re: Phil yesterday:

Amy Mickelson, dressed in solid black like her husband, stood off the side of the pro shop porch. For as long as they've been in this together, Saturday night at the U.S. Open was like nothing they'd experienced before. Phil knew the rule, Amy said, but when he got home and heard all the talk about disqualification, he picked up the phone during the afternoon telecast.

"When he heard that he called Mike Davis and said 'If I've done something that crosses the line that much, then I need to withdraw immediately,' " Amy said.

Davis assured Phil that he was well within the rules. He closed with a 1-under 69 on a much more receptive Shinnecock Hills.