Author Topic: The Golf Thread  (Read 314617 times)

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
Re: The Golf Thread
« Reply #1080 on: August 15, 2020, 04:27:18 pm »
The low handicappers seem to really enjoy Mizuno who have some lovely forged clubs but stay well away from blades unless you are a single digit player. Have a look online and see what takes your fancy but here is a great write up on various options

https://www.slimgolf.com/best-mizuno-irons/
I am one who isn’t convinced about blades being harder to hit. Ok, maybe those from Jack Nicklaus era 30-40 years ago might be but the recent muscles backs design have improved a great deal with lots of weight behind and below the ball. If we are looking at the PGA tour the trend seemed to have reversed where more and more are using muscle backs for mid-short iron. The cavities from Mizuno and Taylor Made has also shrunk compared to the old days of overly perimeter weighted Big Bertha irons.

I think every beginner should be encouraged to start with blades that has low offset to promote a solid and accurate contact. Also learn to work the ball early.

Offline nuts100

• RAWK's Squirrel Accountant
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1081 on: August 15, 2020, 06:11:19 pm »
I am one who isn’t convinced about blades being harder to hit. Ok, maybe those from Jack Nicklaus era 30-40 years ago might be but the recent muscles backs design have improved a great deal with lots of weight behind and below the ball. If we are looking at the PGA tour the trend seemed to have reversed where more and more are using muscle backs for mid-short iron. The cavities from Mizuno and Taylor Made has also shrunk compared to the old days of overly perimeter weighted Big Bertha irons.

I think every beginner should be encouraged to start with blades that has low offset to promote a solid and accurate contact. Also learn to work the ball early.

Best clubs I've hit are the Titleist CB. I have 4 sets as I don't sell them, just in case I ever go back
Titleist 718 CB
Titleist 718 AP3
Mizuno JPX 900
Titleist AP2

They are all built for me apart from the CB's which are an actual tour iron that my mate who used to be in the Adams Tour Van gave me
My putter is also a Piretti Tour model given to me - worth about $1500-2k. Been offered $1500 for it but no way am I selling

Got a bunch of tour wedges fro above mate and a couple of tour 3woods. Tour stuff is a lot harder to hit but when you hit them right, it's so sweet.

Also got about 6 driver shafts that you can't buy and are stiff as fuck lol.

I just go out and try and have a beer an fun. Tofay was a shit day - but it's better than being at home :)

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #1082 on: August 21, 2020, 12:52:18 am »
Getting back to Poulter for the Ryder Cup.

PGA tour stats on putts per round:

Poulter is second behind Patrick Reed.
https://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.119.html

One putts per round average:

Poulter is first.
https://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.398.html

No Poulter, No party for the Europeans at the Ryder Cup.   :P
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1083 on: August 21, 2020, 09:02:25 pm »
Dustin Johnson got some round going here -11 through 12 holes

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #1084 on: August 21, 2020, 09:32:55 pm »
Scottie Schleffer hit a 59 today (-12).
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1085 on: August 21, 2020, 09:33:42 pm »
Scottie Schleffer hit a 59 today (-12).

He did and could have been forgotten about within his

Slowed for Johnson a bit now sadly

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1086 on: August 21, 2020, 10:22:36 pm »

-11 through 11 and then seven pars

Just shows how difficult a sub 60 round is

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1087 on: August 22, 2020, 10:50:32 am »
Crazy golf yesterday as to have a 59 and a 60 on the same day is a first. Will be interesting to see what they shoot today but wow to be 11 under after 11 holes must be on another world or the leader of North Korea.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1088 on: August 22, 2020, 09:24:22 pm »
A couple Rory highlights from today.. He had a Maguire.. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIsMDoV1k68

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1089 on: August 22, 2020, 09:33:17 pm »
Love watching Rory but I can’t comprehend how someone so talented can on occasions be so shite

Can’t remember the last time he strung four rounds together

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1090 on: August 22, 2020, 10:16:09 pm »

Thick as pig shit for course management  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Dan The Man 28373

• Legacy Fan
  • We Always win in Rome!!
« Reply #1091 on: August 22, 2020, 11:53:58 pm »
Crazy golf yesterday as to have a 59 and a 60 on the same day is a first. Will be interesting to see what they shoot today but wow to be 11 under after 11 holes must be on another world or the leader of North Korea.

Johnson shot a 64 in the 3rd round, so -22 & 5 shots clear of Scheffler who shot a 67.  Johnson's 54 hole score of 191 is one of the lowest in USPGA history (188 is the lowest I think).

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #1092 on: August 23, 2020, 12:02:59 am »
Rory needs a total reset. No part of his game is even remotely decent right now and one mistake or one miss means his round falls apart. Mentally he's not in any place to win a major and especially so with the sheer amount of players who can win one now. He could bounce back to form sharpish but still not be good enough to win a big one, the competition is just so strong now.

As for the Northern Trust, DJ has played golf on another level to anyone else and that's saying something considering how well so many players have played. The BMW next week is normally another low-scoring affair but make the most of it, the US Open at Winged Foot wont be a picnic I can guarantee that. Anything close to even par will be enough to win IMO.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1093 on: August 23, 2020, 12:47:37 am »

His playing partner was looking at him like, “fuck, and that’s supposed to be my heir apparent”

I think his motivation is gone. What is helping him make cuts is his sheer talent. That extra 1% to win tournaments and majors is no longer evident. He can bluff himself that he is getting closer but he is not.

What a waste because he could have been so much more.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1094 on: August 24, 2020, 09:02:53 am »
One of the best performances you’ll ever see by Dustin Johnson. 187 shots for the final 54 holes is beyond stupid. Won’t see one like it for years, maybe decades.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1095 on: August 24, 2020, 09:14:43 am »
Had 20 on him at 20s. Cashed out for 387 so happy with that. He was still that price after round 1 having shot -4!

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1096 on: August 24, 2020, 09:44:27 am »
Impressive stuff indeed as that was some scoring but they were taking the piss of the golf course. I dont know how many lads shot in the mid 60s during the whole week but must be close to a record total. Still for 2nd place to shoot 19 under and finish 11 shots behind Dustin, wow. The lad was on fire, pity he has the personality of a wet blanket.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 09:53:21 am by fowlermagic »
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #1097 on: August 24, 2020, 01:29:37 pm »
DJ's form going up a notch since the lockdown isn't a surprise. He's such a chilled character and I think the lack of crowds is helping him. He shot a couple of rounds in the 80's and did have the 54 hole lead in the PGA, but he's chalked up 2 wins in quick time now and other good finishes. For someone like DJ he probably just sees it as a practice round with zero pressure whatsoever.

Other players feed off the crowd big time, and Rory has just said that he's been going through the motions since the restart. I smell bullshit on that, simply because the lack of crowds isn't making him miss the driver both ways, miss the green with a wedge in hand and miss countless short putts. But when you think of the more fired up, emotional players, the lack of crowds must really be weird. Even a 10ft par save can be huge for momentum, and players will be draining them and going to the next tee with a strange sense of feeling. With crowds, that kind of par save really can reignite your round but I'm not sure that is the case now.

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1098 on: August 24, 2020, 01:39:40 pm »
They never shot low before nor won by large margins. Hogans record of winning by 14 shots stood for 30-40 years.

In 1945 Ben Hogan shoots a final round of 64, finishing with a aggregate score of 261 (-27) while winning the Portland Open

BEN SETS PGA TOURNAMENT LOW SCORING RECORD TO WIN THE PORTLAND INVITATIONAL
By: Mark Baron –

On September 30th, 1945 Ben Hogan set the PGA Tournament record for lowest four round aggregate score when he shot a 64 to win the Portland Invitational at the Portland Golf Club in Oregon, earning $2,600 in War Bonds ($2,000), 14 shots better than second place Byron Nelson, his biggest rival on tour at that time.  Ben’s convincing victory over Byron prompted Ben to be quoted as saying,

“I GUESS THAT TAKES CARE OF THIS MR. GOLF BUSINESS”,
referring to the moniker the press gave to Byron Nelson of “Lord Byron” and “Mr. Golf” as he was setting the golf world on fire for number of victories in 1945.  Ben took umbrage to the accolades Byron received during this time as most of Mr. Nelson’s victories were contested without Ben Hogan’s participation as he was serving a three-year stint in the Army Air Corps during WWII.  This was only Hogan’s sixth competition after returning to full time golf a month prior in August, after a three-year hiatus.   Ben obviously was highly motivated to win this event as he was quoted prior “I just about had it with this Mr. Golf business”

Ben’s score of 27 under par, 261, broke the low scoring record set by Byron Nelson who shot a 266 the previous week at Spokane Open on a par 72 course and beating the 23 under par, 263 Byron Nelson set in April earlier that year at the Atlanta Open.

Hogan
In the first round, Ben shot a seven-under par, course record 65 to take a four stroke lead over Harold “Jug” McSpaden, Ray Mangrum and Harry Bassler.  Byron Nelson and Sam Snead both shot 71’s.

In the second round, Ben shot three-under par 69 to maintain his four shot lead over Harold “Jug” McSpaden.  Byron Nelson and Sam Snead again shot a pair of 71’s to fall back in a tie for fifth place, eight strokes behind.

In the third round, over 7,500 people showed up to watch Ben shoot a nine-under par, course record 63 to finish 10 strokes ahead of second place Harold “Jug” McSpaden.  Hogan made six birdies for a 31 on the outward nine and five birdies for a 32 on the inward nine.  His birdie on the 18th hole came despite two shots in the rough.

In the final round, Ben shot a 64 to set the low scoring record for a 72-hole tournament, a 27-under par 261.  His score included four birdies on the outward nine for a score of 32 and five birdies on the inward 9 for a 32.  He missed an eagle three on the 15th hole by two inches and a birdie four on the final hole by the same margin.  His margin of victory was 14 strokes over second place Byron Nelson, 16 strokes over third place Harold “Jug” McSpaden and Sam Snead finished in fourth, 18 strokes back.

After the tournament, Ben took his 16-year old caddy, Rod Slade, to the side, said, “We did it, didn’t we?”, and proceeded to give him a $40 tip.  The caddy later said that that handshake meant more to him than the money.  He confided that Hogan was very thoughtful, buying him Cokes and chatting about the game from hole to hole.

Hogan returned to full time golf in the second half of 1945 and it was at this time that the Hogan / Nelson rivalry reached its pinnacle.   Greg Gregston, a friend of both Messrs. Hogan and Nelson, when asked about the relationship between the two said, “There now was not much love lost between Nelson and Hogan.  Their rivalry was too intense for the close friendship to survive.  Nelson backers said Ben in action and word showed he resented the success Nelson had attained in the war years.  Hogan backers explained that he was too combative to be a buddy to the man who stood between him and his goal.”

Nelson retired from full time competitive golf 10 months later in August of 1946 to fulfill his lifelong dream to become a cattle rancher.

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1099 on: August 24, 2020, 01:42:09 pm »
Oh, and before any starts about easy courses..Portland Golf and CC is a tight tree lined course. With small greens that slope, generally, back to front. Any time your above the hole , good luck.

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1100 on: August 24, 2020, 09:17:15 pm »
With Rory

Paul Azinger said it years ago when Rory was about to win the 2014 Open in dominant fashion. “He’s an ordinary kid who is blessed with extraordinary golf talent.”

But he’s not had his A game since to be honest.
Winning Canadian opens And the FedEx cup, well top top top players are judged on majors. He’s not even contented since. Lots of back door top 10’s but he’s always throwing in a stupid round

However when he sets his alarm to practice at 5am, looks at his bank account with over $100m, boy be like fuck it going back to sleep

Too many excuses at the moment. Will he ever get that unbelievable A game back coupled with mental toughness, who knows but Rory

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1101 on: August 24, 2020, 10:17:01 pm »
Rory has gone 7 straight starts without a top-10 finish.

It is the most consecutive worldwide finishes outside the top-ten for McIlroy since 2009.

@JustinRayGolf

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1102 on: August 25, 2020, 10:20:51 am »
See Mickelson is in his first senior event this week

Opened yesterday with a 61 to lead by one

Be great for that tour and the coverage to have Phil playing when he wants to

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1103 on: August 25, 2020, 10:57:52 am »
Go down that senior leaderboard and you soon see the names that were so familiar winning majors in the 80s, 90s etc. The most amazing thing is you see Langer still rank #1 for the season so far & he is still winning 40 years after his first professional win in 1980. Crazy.

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1104 on: August 27, 2020, 10:46:59 pm »
The course this week isn’t easy
Rory just missed an 18inch putt for par. Didn’t even touch the sides. Wow. There’s a joke or double entendres there.

Course looks dried out as f.... greens are brutal

Offline HiTs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • In Istanbul when we won it 5 times!
« Reply #1105 on: August 28, 2020, 05:44:20 am »
Needs a proper caddie for a start then having a mate carry the bag.....

With Rory

Paul Azinger said it years ago when Rory was about to win the 2014 Open in dominant fashion. “He’s an ordinary kid who is blessed with extraordinary golf talent.”

But he’s not had his A game since to be honest.
Winning Canadian opens And the FedEx cup, well top top top players are judged on majors. He’s not even contented since. Lots of back door top 10’s but he’s always throwing in a stupid round

However when he sets his alarm to practice at 5am, looks at his bank account with over $100m, boy be like fuck it going back to sleep

Too many excuses at the moment. Will he ever get that unbelievable A game back coupled with mental toughness, who knows but Rory
★      ★       ★       ★       ★       ★                        ★                          ★
77     78      81      84       05      19      World Champions 2019     Premier League 2020

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1106 on: August 28, 2020, 05:57:39 pm »
Needs a proper caddie for a start then having a mate carry the bag.....
There are pros out there who would give an eye for half his talent.

He was the most talented golfer since Tiger but somehow managed to throw it all away.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1107 on: August 28, 2020, 06:24:20 pm »
There are pros out there who would give an eye for half his talent.

He was the most talented golfer since Tiger but somehow managed to throw it all away.

Bit over the top, he’s hardly over the hill

If he doesn’t win more majors though its a fair assessment for the end of his career!

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1108 on: August 28, 2020, 07:50:56 pm »
Bit over the top, he’s hardly over the hill

If he doesn’t win more majors though its a fair assessment for the end of his career!

The guy is so talented it's untrue. What a beautiful swing.
Always seems to be an excuse, which is a shame, he needs something, but maybe he's in a place where he's happy with life. If that's the case just don't bet on him  ;D

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1109 on: August 28, 2020, 07:56:32 pm »
The guy is so talented it's untrue. What a beautiful swing.
Always seems to be an excuse, which is a shame, he needs something, but maybe he's in a place where he's happy with life. If that's the case just don't bet on him  ;D

Oh agree with you entirely

Just disagreed with redforeverTT saying he’d thrown it all away. Sounded terminal!

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1110 on: August 28, 2020, 08:52:02 pm »

Just disagreed with redforeverTT saying he’d thrown it all away. Sounded terminal!

I'm one of his biggest critics as I believe he's wasted a lot of years. Golf is tough, mentally draining but I feel he could do so much better.
He should have as many majors as Player ATM.

He's bottled The Masters at least twice and I think it will eat at him.

ATM he's nowhere near Nick or Seve. I wish he had some of their fire/steel.
I think he went chasing the endorsements too early, but I can't blame him

All the shit about the ball / clubs / caddie / crowds etc is just insecurity as he can't fix his B game. When he's on there's no one who can touch him. Shame really.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1111 on: August 28, 2020, 08:56:13 pm »
Playing some of his best for a while today though which is good to see

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1112 on: August 28, 2020, 09:46:21 pm »

Being over the top is the prerequisite to Rawk membership.

Not throwing away his money for sure. He is still winning tournaments so he wouldn’t have to eat Pret sandwiches.

But with his talent you do expect more . 4 majors in 4 years, best ball striker on the tour. You wouldn’t bet he would go 6 years without one that even upstart like Koepka could chid him.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1113 on: August 29, 2020, 12:01:33 am »
Finally a US course with some teeth, this has been interesting to watch. Firstly they have to hit the fairway, then they have to think about and hit good approaches to specific areas on the green. It's a good test, many don't like it. 
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #1114 on: August 29, 2020, 08:04:55 am »
Finally a US course with some teeth, this has been interesting to watch. Firstly they have to hit the fairway, then they have to think about and hit good approaches to specific areas on the green. It's a good test, many don't like it.

I love it, personally.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1115 on: August 29, 2020, 08:06:05 am »
Wouldn’t want it every week but great to see.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1116 on: August 29, 2020, 11:15:37 am »
Wouldn’t want it every week but great to see.
For a regular PGA tournament I don’t understand why they have to set it up like an US Open.

I also never liked golf courses that is unfair. Stick a sweet iron into the flag only to have it bounce waist high and roll off the greens. Also seeing players miss 2 feet putts because of overly slick greens is hard to watch.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1117 on: August 29, 2020, 11:33:40 am »
For a regular PGA tournament I don’t understand why they have to set it up like an US Open.

I also never liked golf courses that is unfair. Stick a sweet iron into the flag only to have it bounce waist high and roll off the greens. Also seeing players miss 2 feet putts because of overly slick greens is hard to watch.

It's not a regular tour event though. If they're hitting from the fairways they can get the ball to stop. It's also about being able to adapt to your surroundings. In these days of green books and trackman it's cool seeing players having to think on the fly. This is much more enthralling than last week for example.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1118 on: August 29, 2020, 05:11:53 pm »
I love it, personally.

I ment the players not liking it. They get away with missing far too many fairways, they can't here.
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1119 on: August 29, 2020, 08:01:28 pm »
I ment the players not liking it. They get away with missing far too many fairways, they can't here.

Oh I thought you meant the lads in here hating it watching have to scramble to make pars  ;D