Author Topic: The Golf Thread  (Read 312076 times)

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
Re: The Golf Thread
« Reply #1000 on: August 7, 2020, 11:50:08 pm »
Never seen as many players leaving make-able putts 2 or 3 foot short.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #1001 on: August 8, 2020, 01:01:09 am »
Indeed, you go left or right off the tee, you should be punished, you hit left or right from a lot of the US courses & you gan get up & down & still save par it's ridiculous, this one sounds like a proper course that penalises bad shots.

I'd suggest you play a round the days after a PGA tour tournament and find the rough. Your shot may not end up like a tour pros shot. They may just have a little bit more club head speed and are stronger. Sure they make it look easy.

When they get to a Major tournament like this one where the rough is even longer, they still hit quality shots ( for the most part). The difference is with the added fast dry hard greens, then it brings more trouble into play.

The Korn Ferry Tour is in my town this week. I've played the course under normal conditions, never mind the rough being slightly higher. I play off a 9/10 handicap and struggle to break 85 there. I shot 79 today at my local.

Edit..for those who don't know the Korn Ferry tour is the tour just below the PGA tour. Where players are trying to get their tour cards for the PGA Tour.
« Last Edit: August 8, 2020, 01:17:56 am by 4pool »
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #1002 on: August 8, 2020, 01:16:01 am »
Gonna be an interesting weekend. Koepka (although he's getting treatment for an injury), Day, Fleetwood, Schauffele, Rose, Morikawa, Finau and now Rory all within striking distance.
Tiger would be too if he could have made any sort of putt today, his driving and irons were great but couldn't get anything to drop.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1003 on: August 8, 2020, 01:52:35 am »
Li at -8 and Fleetwood at -6 will be the last group out Saturday.

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1004 on: August 8, 2020, 01:53:33 am »
Rory was -3 then three putted from 5 feet to make a 7 on a par 4. Back to level par.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1005 on: August 8, 2020, 09:01:54 am »
Haha just went to check my Cash Out options with Fleetwood and Berger up there...and I never put my bet on. Been so long since I have that I obviously didn’t do it properly! Now I’m hoping they fall away badly. :D

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1006 on: August 8, 2020, 09:12:47 am »
Haha just went to check my Cash Out options with Fleetwood and Berger up there...and I never put my bet on. Been so long since I have that I obviously didn’t do it properly! Now I’m hoping they fall away badly. :D

Fleetwood nailed on then

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1007 on: August 8, 2020, 09:51:02 am »
Fleetwood nailed on then

I hope he does, but it would be annoying!

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1008 on: August 8, 2020, 03:01:55 pm »

:lmao

Sounds like something i'd do... ;D

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1009 on: August 8, 2020, 03:08:57 pm »
Add 5 hours for the UK.

ere's a look at third-round tee times for the 102nd PGA Championship at TPC Harding Park.

(All times Eastern)

11:10 a.m. – Mackenzie Hughes
11:20 a.m. – Charl Schwartzel, Chez Reavie
11:30 a.m. – Louis Oosthuizen, Luke List
11:40 a.m. – Jordan Spieth, Justin Thomas
11:50 a.m. – Patrick Cantlay, Erik Van Rooyen
12:00 p.m. – Rory Sabbatini, Sung Kang
12:10 p.m. – Sepp Straka, Adam Long
12:20 p.m. – Matt Wallace, Mark Hubbard
12:30 p.m. – Phil Mickelson, Ian Poulter
12:40 p.m. – J.T. Poston, Bubba Watson
12:50 p.m. – Harris English, Byeong Hun An
1:00 p.m. – Tiger Woods, Keith Mitchell
1:10 p.m. – Shane Lowry, Danny Lee
1:20 p.m. – Ryan Palmer, Kevin Kisner
1:30 p.m. – Tom Hoge, Russell Henley
1:40 p.m. – Cameron Smith, Doc Redman
2:00 p.m. – Robert MacIntyre, Billy Horschel
2:10 p.m. – Jim Herman, Emiliano Grillo
2:20 p.m. – Abraham Ancer, Kurt Kitayama
2:30 p.m. – Rory McIlroy, Victor Perez
2:40 p.m. – Nate Lashley, Gary Woodland
2:50 p.m. – Webb Simpson, Brian Harman
3:00 p.m. – Denny McCarthy, Jon Rahm
3:10 p.m. – Kevin Streelman, Viktor Hovland
3:20 p.m. – Joost Luiten, Adam Hadwin
3:30 p.m. – Adam Scott, Collin Morikawa
3:40 p.m. – Patrick Reed, Bryson DeChambeau
3:50 p.m. – Harold Varner III, Brandt Snedeker
4:00 p.m. – Brendan Steele, Joel Dahmen
4:10 p.m. – Tony Finau, Bud Cauley
4:20 p.m. – Scottie Scheffler, Dylan Frittelli
4:30 p.m. – Hideki Matsuyama, Si Woo Kim
4:50 p.m. – Alex Noren, Matthew Wolff
5:00 p.m. – Dustin Johnson, Bernd Wiesberger
5:10 p.m. – Lanto Griffin, Xander Schauffele
5:20 p.m. – Paul Casey, Brendan Todd
5:30 p.m. – Mike Lorenzo-Vera, Cameron Champ
5:40 p.m. – Brooks Koepka, Justin Rose
5:50 p.m. – Jason Day, Daniel Berger
6:00 p.m. – Haotong LI, Tommy Fleetwood

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1010 on: August 8, 2020, 07:51:01 pm »
I'd suggest you play a round the days after a PGA tour tournament and find the rough. Your shot may not end up like a tour pros shot. They may just have a little bit more club head speed and are stronger. Sure they make it look easy.

When they get to a Major tournament like this one where the rough is even longer, they still hit quality shots ( for the most part). The difference is with the added fast dry hard greens, then it brings more trouble into play.

The Korn Ferry Tour is in my town this week. I've played the course under normal conditions, never mind the rough being slightly higher. I play off a 9/10 handicap and struggle to break 85 there. I shot 79 today at my local.

Edit..for those who don't know the Korn Ferry tour is the tour just below the PGA tour. Where players are trying to get their tour cards for the PGA Tour.

The point is that the US courses are setup far too easy for these Pro golfers, tournament finishing with the winner -20 to -25 says it all really. I blame the TV broadcasters and the US audience who want to watch long drives, loads of birdies and eagles and people shooting the lights out rather that the skills required to get yourself out of trouble. For the most part US golf is boring as a spectacle, the European tour is far more interesting to watch, lots of different types of courses which are honest and challenging which require different skills. In fact I've heard a few of the top US golfers comment about how boring it is over there as everything is in the air rather than having to use your imagination, Tiger said anywhere around the green you just get the lob wedge out in the US. 
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1011 on: August 8, 2020, 10:25:36 pm »
The point is that the US courses are setup far too easy for these Pro golfers, tournament finishing with the winner -20 to -25 says it all really. I blame the TV broadcasters and the US audience who want to watch long drives, loads of birdies and eagles and people shooting the lights out rather that the skills required to get yourself out of trouble. For the most part US golf is boring as a spectacle, the European tour is far more interesting to watch, lots of different types of courses which are honest and challenging which require different skills. In fact I've heard a few of the top US golfers comment about how boring it is over there as everything is in the air rather than having to use your imagination, Tiger said anywhere around the green you just get the lob wedge out in the US. 

All your biases in one post.

European Tour this week. English Open
After three rounds..leader Andy Sullivan is -21.
Wonder what the winning score will be tomorrow?

Previous event, Hero Open--Sam Horsfield won with -18

Before that, Betfred British masters, Renato Paratore won with -18

Now all three of these players are top quality, top 50 players in the World...Right?

If not, how can they shoot such low scores on such "harder" courses for the European Tour?

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1012 on: August 8, 2020, 10:59:50 pm »
All your biases in one post.

European Tour this week. English Open
After three rounds..leader Andy Sullivan is -21.
Wonder what the winning score will be tomorrow?

Previous event, Hero Open--Sam Horsfield won with -18

Before that, Betfred British masters, Renato Paratore won with -18

Now all three of these players are top quality, top 50 players in the World...Right?

If not, how can they shoot such low scores on such "harder" courses for the European Tour?

-18 isn't -20? I didn't say they were harder, I said they were were interesting, honest I said - you'll get rewarded for playing well. I've watched both tours and week after week in the states I see almost identical courses and players playing target golf, its boring. I watch the European tour and every course is different, the vibe, the feel, the crowds (pre-covid). Its a better viewing experience, I'm sat on a couch enjoying it more, its tangible. I ain't sad enough to go through the stats to prove a point on a forum, I'm using my eyes and comparing it to my own experiences of playing the game. I want to see how they get out of the shit, not getting away with a 80 yard miss with some nonsense 'relief'.

As for biases, what does that even mean.
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1013 on: August 8, 2020, 11:16:54 pm »

As for biases, what does that even mean.

Well you obviously prefer the European Tour. So you have a go at the PGA tour. Fair enough. Except the best Europeans are playing in America, not Europe. Why is that? Courses are less interesting--whatever that means. So Europeans should benefit. Shouldn't they?

Tommy Fleetwood is having a decent tournament so far. Won 5 times on the European Tour, 8 times as a professional. None on the PGA Tour.  Why is he playing the PGA Tour? Why not play the more interesting courses in Europe?

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1014 on: August 8, 2020, 11:22:39 pm »
Well you obviously prefer the European Tour. So you have a go at the PGA tour. Fair enough. Except the best Europeans are playing in America, not Europe. Why is that? Courses are less interesting--whatever that means. So Europeans should benefit. Shouldn't they?

Tommy Fleetwood is having a decent tournament so far. Won 5 times on the European Tour, 8 times as a professional. None on the PGA Tour.  Why is he playing the PGA Tour? Why not play the more interesting courses in Europe?

Money.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1015 on: August 8, 2020, 11:24:35 pm »
Great camera shots on Sky, god I loved San Francisco, the end of our highway 1 journey starting in LA. Spent a day at Pebble Beach, always wanted to go there and it didn't disappoint.

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1016 on: August 8, 2020, 11:28:50 pm »
Money.

Colin Montgomery won the order of merit and money lists numerous times on the European Tour.

Fleetwood or other European can make loads staying in Europe.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1017 on: August 8, 2020, 11:31:14 pm »
Colin Montgomery won the order of merit and money lists numerous times on the European Tour.

Fleetwood or other European can make loads staying in Europe.

They can make more playing in America though. Why did Pogba leave Juventus to go to United?

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1018 on: August 9, 2020, 01:08:08 pm »
Again, add 5 hours for UK time:

All times ET

10 a.m.
Sung Kang

10:10 a.m.
Ryan Palmer, Jordan Spieth

10:20 a.m.
Chez Reavie, J.T. Poston

10:30 a.m.
Erik van Rooyen, Matt Wallace

10:40 a.m.
Danny Lee, Robert Macintyre

10:50 a.m.
Adam Long, Bubba Watson

11 a.m.
Joost Luiten, Rory Sabbatini

11:10 a.m.
Kevin Streelman, Viktor Hovland

11:20 a.m.
Jim Herman, Gary Woodland

11:30 a.m.
Tiger Woods, Tom Hoge

11:40 a.m.
Sepp Straka, Byeong Hun An

11:50 a.m.
Billy Horschel, Abraham Ancer

Noon
Phil Mickelson, Russell Henley

12:10 p.m.
Luke List, Mark Hubbard

12:20 p.m.
Bud Cauley, Louis Oosthuizen

12:30 p.m.
Brian Harman, Brandt Snedeker

12:50 p.m.
Rory McIlrory, Kurt Kitayama

1 p.m.
Doc Redman, Emiliano Grillo

1:10 p.m.
Mackenzie Hughes, Cameron Smith

1:20 p.m.
Brendan Steele, Alex Noren

1:30 p.m.
Denny McCarthy, Adam Hadwin

1:40 p.m.
Shane Lowry, Nate Lashley

1:50 p.m.
Justin Thomas, Harris English

2 p.m.
Adam Scott, Charl Schwartzel

2:10 p.m.
Kevin Kisner, Victor Perez

2:20 p.m.
Brendan Todd, Keith Mitchell

2:30 p.m.
Dylan Frittelli, Lanto Griffin

2:40 p.m.
Patrick Reed, Harold Varner III

2:50 p.m.
Webb Simpson, Jon Rahm

3 p.m.
Patrick Cantlay, Ian Poulter

3:10 p.m.
Bernd Wiesberger, Mike Lorenzo-Vera

3:20 p.m.
Li Haotong, Hideki Matsuyama

3:40 p.m.
Matthew Wolff, Xander Schauffele

3:50 p.m.
Joel Dahmen, Si Woo Kim

4 p.m.
Daniel Berger, Tommy Fleetwood

4:10 .p.m.
Jason Day, Justin Rose

4:20 p.m.
Bryson DeChambeau, Tony Finau

4:30 p.m.
Brooks Koepka, Paul Casey

4:40 p.m.
Cameron Champ, Collin Morikawa

4:50 p.m.
Dustin Johnson, Scottie Scheffler

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
The Golf Thread
« Reply #1019 on: August 9, 2020, 03:36:33 pm »
Will be rooting for Tommy Fleetwood.

He is due a major and had he been a bit more lucky with a couple of putts he would have been at the top today.

https://www.golfchannel.com/video/ryder-cup-lovefest-tommy-fleetwood-francesco-molinari

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1020 on: August 9, 2020, 03:41:00 pm »
Everyone out a bit earlier today which is good

Fingers crossed for Tommy

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1021 on: August 9, 2020, 08:07:55 pm »
Everyone out a bit earlier today which is good

Fingers crossed for Tommy

Have to provide tv time should there be a playoff. Which btw..is a 3 hole aggragate.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1022 on: August 9, 2020, 08:09:54 pm »
Have to provide tv time should there be a playoff. Which btw..is a 3 hole aggragate.

Never thought of that, not that I’ll be able to keep my eyes open that long anyway

Offline nuts100

• RAWK's Squirrel Accountant
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1023 on: August 9, 2020, 09:32:13 pm »

Got to be a really good putter on the US side. They trick the greens up like no ones business.
And yeah the best Europeans play on the US side.
More prestige, more money, better players and if they live in FL it’s better waking up to sun than the shite in the UK or in half of Europe.

US all the way for golf unfortunately. Think the European Tour has been struggling even before the virus

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #1024 on: August 9, 2020, 09:47:12 pm »
Right, who does everyone want to win this? I’ve lost track of who’s popular and who’s considered a bit of a knob in golf these days.

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1025 on: August 9, 2020, 09:51:54 pm »
Cameron Champ for me. Watched him play live at the Web.com Tour Championship 2 years ago.

Walked the course with his granddad.

Offline nuts100

• RAWK's Squirrel Accountant
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1026 on: August 9, 2020, 09:53:49 pm »
Right, who does everyone want to win this? I’ve lost track of who’s popular and who’s considered a bit of a knob in golf these days.

Anyone apart from Reed or Country Golf Club Boy Bryson. He’s a dick

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1027 on: August 9, 2020, 09:54:15 pm »

Like one of the English lads ideally but as long as neither of koepka or dechambeau I’m ok with it

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1028 on: August 9, 2020, 10:05:28 pm »
Anyone apart from Reed or Country Golf Club Boy Bryson. He’s a dick

Doesn't Patrick Reed lead the Race to Dubai for the European Tour.  :P

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1029 on: August 9, 2020, 10:11:40 pm »
Contrary to Koepka I actually like Bryson DC

Looking good in the early stages

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #1030 on: August 9, 2020, 10:21:47 pm »
Contrary to Koepka I actually like Bryson DC

Looking good in the early stages
They both look like bodybuilders that have found their way onto a golf course. Bryson has a very peculiar technique! I’m rooting for the player with the best pornstar name, so it’s a toss up between Cameron Champ and Dustin Johnson.   

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1031 on: August 9, 2020, 10:32:56 pm »
How many at the top..So hard to pick a winner now.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1032 on: August 9, 2020, 11:05:44 pm »
Mate of mine has 15 e/w on Champ at 500/1.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #1033 on: August 9, 2020, 11:09:28 pm »
Mate of mine has 15 e/w on Champ at 500/1.

I can't believe he was that price! Good luck to him. Along with Morikawa, Wolff and one or two others he's part of the next crop of young guns coming through.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1034 on: August 9, 2020, 11:14:28 pm »
Some price, he backed him on Friday morning.

Offline Fiasco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #1035 on: August 9, 2020, 11:17:06 pm »
Watching Finau tee off followed by DeChambeau was crazy to watch there. Finau looks half asleep with his swing, nice and languid and smokes it. DeChambeau takes many full-throttle practice swings, fannies about with all his twitching and psyching himself up, and he also smokes it.

The balls landed side-by-side, 3 feet from one another. There is more than one way to skin a cat!

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #1036 on: August 9, 2020, 11:41:26 pm »
Watching Finau tee off followed by DeChambeau was crazy to watch there. Finau looks half asleep with his swing, nice and languid and smokes it. DeChambeau takes many full-throttle practice swings, fannies about with all his twitching and psyching himself up, and he also smokes it.

The balls landed side-by-side, 3 feet from one another. There is more than one way to skin a cat!

They just showed a Dustin Johnson drive in slow mo, I'm surprised he managed to stay upright.  :o

Would a Happy Gilmore type drive be legal? That'll be next.
« Last Edit: August 9, 2020, 11:44:03 pm by BER »

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1037 on: August 9, 2020, 11:54:03 pm »
Enjoying how open this is. Could be anyones.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline Fiasco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #1038 on: August 10, 2020, 12:20:05 am »
DJ is letting another major slip by here. -1 on his round but made a dumb decision on the par 5 there and hasn't hit anything close. He's been one of the best players over the past decade but only has the one major and needs to get into gear if he wants another one here.

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #1039 on: August 10, 2020, 12:32:53 am »
Wouldn’t mind Jason Day winning this if Casey doesn’t.