Author Topic: Typhoid Trump: the not-smart, corrupt, coward, loser, thread  (Read 4613371 times)

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
Re: Ill Douche - Fungal Dick
« Reply #49320 on: November 28, 2018, 02:33:27 am »
NYT has more on a bizarre story which would look like an attempt to obstruct Mueller's inquiry if such a thing was conceivable about Trump and his legal team.

A lawyer for Paul Manafort, the president’s onetime campaign chairman, repeatedly briefed President Trump’s lawyers on his client’s discussions with federal investigators after Mr. Manafort agreed to cooperate with the special counsel, according to one of Mr. Trump’s lawyers and two other people familiar with the conversations.

The arrangement was highly unusual and inflamed tensions with Mr. Mueller’s office when prosecutors discovered it after Mr. Manafort began cooperating two months ago, the people said. Some legal experts speculated that it was a bid by Mr. Manafort for a presidential pardon even as he worked with the special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, in hopes of a lighter sentence.

Rudolph W. Giuliani, one of the president’s personal lawyers, acknowledged the arrangement on Tuesday and defended it as a source of valuable insights into the special counsel’s inquiry and where it was headed. Such information could help shape a legal defense strategy, and it also appeared to give Mr. Trump and his legal advisers ammunition in their public relations campaign against the special counsel’s office.

For example, Mr. Giuliani said, Mr. Manafort’s lawyer Kevin M. Downing told him that prosecutors hammered away at whether the president knew about the June 2016 Trump Tower meeting where Russians promised to deliver damaging information on Hillary Clinton to his eldest son, Donald Trump Jr. The president has long denied knowing about the meeting in advance. “He wants Manafort to incriminate Trump,” Mr. Giuliani declared of Mr. Mueller.

All very strange.

very, very late edit: Manafort's plea deal didn't have the 'don't tell anyone else' clause which was in Gates' plea deal. Which would be excluded deliberately. So lots of speculation that Mueller has been very cute in using Manafort.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 06:15:44 am by Zeb »
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #49321 on: November 28, 2018, 02:53:11 am »
He's gping to get abandoned by his base for crap like this. Not pussy gate or russia, not California or Puerto Rico. But by destroying retirment savings through sheer stupidity.

Daniel Dale (@ddale8)
2018-11-27, 8:52 PM
Trump: "I’m not happy with the Fed. They’re making a mistake because I have a gut, and my gut tells me more sometimes than anybody else’s brain can ever tell me."
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #49322 on: November 28, 2018, 02:58:24 am »
As George Carlin put it best...god is omnipotent, all seeing, all knowing...but bad with money.

;D

I've got flashbacks to his 'stupid people' routine reading the news being dumped out the past couple of days about these guys. One smart comment I read was that if this is the shit that Mueller was allowing Corsi to plead guilty to then what's the stuff which wasn't charged?
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.

Offline Mimi

• Maguire!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49323 on: November 28, 2018, 04:45:24 am »
I'm not sure how Chuck Schumer can look at the last election and say, " yes, we will give Trump the money to build the wall but just as not as much as he wants."

Resign, Schumer, resign.

Sen. Chuck Schumer tells reporters at his on-cam presser that Democrats’ position is $1.6 billion for wall funding - far less than the $5 billion Trump wants - but he won’t say if Democrats are shutting the door on anything more, saying he’s not going to negotiate in public.
12:54 PM · Nov 27, 2018 · Twitter for iPhone

"And Israeli aggression will continue unabated. BDS. Armed struggle. Peace talks. Protests. Tweets. Social media. Poetry. All are terror in Israel’s books.” Refaat Alareer
https://www.youtube.com/@refaatalareer9499

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #49324 on: November 28, 2018, 07:25:59 am »
;D

I've got flashbacks to his 'stupid people' routine reading the news being dumped out the past couple of days about these guys. One smart comment I read was that if this is the shit that Mueller was allowing Corsi to plead guilty to then what's the stuff which wasn't charged?

So basically... after the damage is irreparable. Deplorables

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49325 on: November 28, 2018, 10:00:42 am »

Plea deal Corsi has leaked to the press. (He's currently asking for prayers and money on the twitter. Mainly money though.)

There's been talk that Whitaker is already blocking further indictments being issued.  Might be a sign of things to come.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #49326 on: November 28, 2018, 10:08:39 am »
I'm not sure how Chuck Schumer can look at the last election and say, " yes, we will give Trump the money to build the wall but just as not as much as he wants."

Resign, Schumer, resign.

Sen. Chuck Schumer tells reporters at his on-cam presser that Democrats’ position is $1.6 billion for wall funding - far less than the $5 billion Trump wants - but he won’t say if Democrats are shutting the door on anything more, saying he’s not going to negotiate in public.
12:54 PM · Nov 27, 2018 · Twitter for iPhone

Yeah he needs to go.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #49327 on: November 28, 2018, 10:24:46 am »

There's been talk that Whitaker is already blocking further indictments being issued.  Might be a sign of things to come.

Was some scuttlebutt there's a lot of sealed indictments already queued before Sessions got the heave-ho, although other explanations were possible (coincidence that so many sealed indictments were listed etc). Shows how low the bar has been set that Whitaker has survived even this long.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #49328 on: November 28, 2018, 11:19:57 am »

Trump`s administration has the reek of Hitler`s "cabinet" with (fortunately) added incompetence.

Yes, I am aware of Godwin`s Law. But I also studied WW2 History as part of my degree.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #49329 on: November 28, 2018, 11:32:16 am »
NYT has more on a bizarre story which would look like an attempt to obstruct Mueller's inquiry if such a thing was conceivable about Trump and his legal team.

All very strange.

very, very late edit: Manafort's plea deal didn't have the 'don't tell anyone else' clause which was in Gates' plea deal. Which would be excluded deliberately. So lots of speculation that Mueller has been very cute in using Manafort.

I actually don't find this the least bit surprising. I'd be more surprised if this wasn't the case

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49330 on: November 28, 2018, 11:54:16 am »
Trump`s administration has the reek of Hitler`s "cabinet" with (fortunately) added incompetence.

Yes, I am aware of Godwin`s Law. But I also studied WW2 History as part of my degree.

Godwin's law can be, on occasion, left on the table. Although, Mussolini's administration probably is a better comparison.

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #49331 on: November 28, 2018, 12:09:56 pm »
AP
Senators set to grill US officials over Khashoggi response
By LISA MASCARO, AP Congressional Correspondent
4 hrs ago

WASHINGTON — Senators who have grown increasingly uneasy with the U.S. response to Saudi Arabia after the killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi are set to grill top administration officials Wednesday at a closed-door briefing that could determine how far Congress goes in punishing the longtime Middle East ally.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell says "some kind of response" is needed from the United States for the Saudis' role in the gruesome death. While President Donald Trump has equivocated over who is to blame, the Senate is considering a vote as soon as this week to halt U.S. involvement in the Saudi-led war in Yemen.

"What obviously happened, as basically certified by the CIA, is completely abhorrent to everything the United States holds dear and stands for in the world," McConnell said Tuesday. "We're discussing what the appropriate response would be."

Much will depend on what senators hear from Defense Secretary Jim Mattis and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo. Administration officials were able to stall a Senate effort earlier this year against the Saudi-backed conflict in Yemen. But senators are outraged over the administration's response to Khashoggi's killing, and they're particularly upset that no one from the intelligence community is attending Wednesday's briefing.

Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia, one of 10 Democrats who declined to join the earlier effort against the Saudis, said Tuesday he was reconsidering his position.

"Things changed," Manchin said. "The whole thing with Khashoggi is very much concerning. It's not who we are as a country. It's not who we should have as allies and not condemn that."

The top Democrat on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, Sen. Bob Menendez of New Jersey, will likely be in favor of the Yemen resolution, and another key member of the panel, Sen. Chris Coons, D-Del., said he was "inclined" to support it now if it came up for a vote.
Senators are getting hammered by outside groups running ads and lobbying them for action.

"What I would argue to the administration is that somehow or another there's got to be a price to pay for what has happened," said Sen. Bob Corker, R-Tenn., the chairman of the committee.

"My sense is, unless something happens — where they share what it is they're going to do to deal with this injustice that has occurred — my sense is that people are going to vote to get on the bill."

The resolution from Sens. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., and Mike Lee, R-Utah, fell just six votes short of passage earlier this year. It drew a mix of Democrats and Republicans who have grown uneasy with U.S. involvement in the Saudi-led campaign against the Houthis, the Iranian-backed rebels in Yemen, in a war that human rights advocates say is indiscriminately bombing civilians and wreaking havoc on the country.

That was long before the Oct. 2 death of Khashoggi, the U.S.-educated journalist who was publicly critical of the Saudi crown prince, Mohammed bin Salman.

Khashoggi was killed in what U.S. officials have described as an elaborate plot at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, which he had visited for marriage paperwork. While U.S. intelligence officials have concluded the crown prince must have at least known of the plot, the CIA's findings have not been made public.

Trump has said it may never be known who was responsible for the killing and in public comments — and a long and unusual statement last week — the president reinforced the United States' long-standing alliance with the Saudis. Trump has praised a pending arms deal with the kingdom that he says will provide the U.S. with jobs and lucrative payments, though some outside assessments say the economic benefits are exaggerated.

Several GOP senators, including key allies Lindsey Graham of South Carolina and Rand Paul of Kentucky, have publicly questioned Trump's handling of the situation. Paul is trying to block the arms sale.

"If you don't draw the line here, where do you draw the line?" Graham asked reporters Tuesday. He, too, supports blocking the arms sale and said giving the crown prince "a pass on murdering a critic doesn't make the world a safer place."

The resolution needs just a simple majority to advance, but a vote is not certain this week. It could launch a process for amending the bill that could play out for days in the Senate.

Kate Kizer, policy director at the advocacy group Win Without War, said the pressure on the senators "is working."

On a conference call with reporters, Sarah Margon, the Washington director at Human Rights Watch, said Khashoggi's death "brought home the brutality" of the Saudi regime, and that's putting pressure on Congress to act.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/senators-set-to-grill-us-officials-over-khashoggi-response/ar-BBQbwbN?ocid=spartandhp
Kill the humourless

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #49332 on: November 28, 2018, 12:19:45 pm »
To be honest the fucking state of them. They're only changing their minds because they can see the way the wind is blowing, what exactly did they think the Saudi regime was like before the death of Khashoggi?
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49333 on: November 28, 2018, 12:53:19 pm »

Who is Whitaker? Goering...?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 01:02:29 pm by Giono »
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49334 on: November 28, 2018, 12:58:42 pm »
Who is Whitaker? Goering? :)

Fungus' delusions of grandeur have only been exacerbated by his success.

I wouldn't be surprised if he sees himself as a benign Hitler using twatter to exhort his minions. He certainly has his own Goebbels.

Time will tell if he thinks he can game Putin.

Watching Vlad flex his big muscles make me pine for HRC.

Kill the humourless

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #49335 on: November 28, 2018, 01:09:24 pm »
To be honest the fucking state of them. They're only changing their minds because they can see the way the wind is blowing, what exactly did they think the Saudi regime was like before the death of Khashoggi?

And not letting the head of the CIA  or other intelligence officials brief the Senate about it. Haspel has heard the audio tape (although Bolton won't listen to it as it is in Arabic) Nothing suspicious there at all.
https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2018/nov/27/jamal-khashoggi-murder-senate-briefing-saudi-arabia-gina-haspel-white-house?

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #49336 on: November 28, 2018, 01:22:54 pm »
He's gping to get abandoned by his base for crap like this. Not pussy gate or russia, not California or Puerto Rico. But by destroying retirment savings through sheer stupidity.

Daniel Dale (@ddale8)
2018-11-27, 8:52 PM
Trump: "I’m not happy with the Fed. They’re making a mistake because I have a gut, and my gut tells me more sometimes than anybody else’s brain can ever tell me."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

In the field of psychology, the Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which people of low ability have illusory superiority and mistakenly assess their cognitive ability as greater than it is. The cognitive bias of illusory superiority comes from the inability of low-ability people to recognize their lack of ability.
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49337 on: November 28, 2018, 01:27:14 pm »
Video shows Arizona fire started with gender reveal party
By felicia fonseca, associated press
FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. —
Nov 27, 2018, 5:43 PM ET

A video released by the U.S. Forest Service shows how a gender reveal event led to a costly wildfire in southern Arizona that forced about 200 people out of their homes.

The information gleaned from the video isn't new, but it's the first public visual of how quickly the tall, dry grass on state land near Green Valley went up in flames after an off-duty U.S. Border Patrol agent fired a rifle at a homemade target. The rectangular target with a diamond checkered design marked with "boy" or "girl" explodes, sending a blue substance in to the air.

A person whose identity was blacked out in the 49-second video moves toward the flames after a few seconds as embers and debris rise above the mesquite and acacia trees then backs up, and another unidentified person moves across the screen from right to left.

A male voice in a panicked voice twice shouts "Start packing up!"

The Arizona Daily Star first reported on the video it obtained Monday through a public records request, and it was shared widely on social media. The Associated Press received the video from the Forest Service on Tuesday.

Agent Dennis Dickey told authorities he constructed the target with a substance known as Tannerite that detonates when hit by a bullet from a high-velocity firearm, according to court documents. He reported the fire immediately to law enforcement on April 23, 2017, and was cooperative in the Forest Service investigation, authorities said.

The U.S. Customs and Border Protection said Tuesday that Dickey still is employed with the agency's Tucson sector.
The fire burned about 73 square miles (190 square kilometers) of mostly state and Forest Service land over less than two weeks, forcing evacuations and putting others on alert they might also need to leave their homes. The damage to state, federal and private land, and firefighting costs topped $8 million.

Dickey pleaded guilty in September to a federal misdemeanor charge of starting a fire without a permit. He was sentenced the following month to five years of probation. He also was ordered to make an initial payment of $100,000 in restitution and monthly payments of $500.
The gender reveal was for Dickey's pregnant wife, the Arizona Daily Star reported. He has said the fire was a "complete accident.

"I feel absolutely horrible about it," the newspaper quoted Dickey as saying the day he pleaded guilty in the case. "It was probably one of the worst days of my life."

Exploding targets are prohibited on the Coronado National Forest, and recreational target shooting isn't allowed on state land where the fire started, officials said.

Land management agencies have seen wildfires spark from lightning, abandoned campfires, chain saws, a horse clipping its shoe on a rock, tow chains dragging along the road, cigarette butts and welding outside on a windy day.

An exploding target to reveal a baby's gender is rare. Fire officials said gusty winds and the broken topography helped push the growth of the southern Arizona fire.

"We pass that message on all the time — one spark is all it takes, one spark is all it takes," said Tiffany Davila, a spokeswoman for the Arizona Department of Forestry and Fire Management. "It's true. When you see that video, you see how quickly the grasses catch on fire and how quickly it moves."

Part of Dickey's sentencing also includes working with the Forest Service on a public service announcement about the cause of the wildfire. Coronado National Forest spokeswoman Heidi Schewel said she wasn't sure Tuesday whether that's currently in the works.
Messages left for Dickey through his attorney and the Border Patrol weren't immediately returned.

https://abcnews.go.com/Weird/wireStory/video-shows-arizona-fire-started-gender-reveal-party-59450323

Didn't know where to post this, but we'll blame Fungus anyroad.

Bloody gobshite blew up a package surrounded by dry brush hadn't seen rain in yonks.
Kill the humourless

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #49338 on: November 28, 2018, 01:33:16 pm »
Another to file under 'he can't possibly be this stupid, oh wait, he can':

@jdawsey1
Trump was fixated on Janet Yellen being too short to run the Federal Reserve, per several current and former advisers. He instead picked Jerome Powell -- who has repeatedly disappointed him with interest rates decisions.

“The president also appeared hung up on Yellen’s height. He told aides on the National Economic Council on several occasions that the 5-foot-3-inch economist was not tall enough to lead the central bank, quizzing them on whether they agreed, current and former officials said.

@paulkrugman
Words fail me
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49339 on: November 28, 2018, 01:35:14 pm »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

In the field of psychology, the Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which people of low ability have illusory superiority and mistakenly assess their cognitive ability as greater than it is. The cognitive bias of illusory superiority comes from the inability of low-ability people to recognize their lack of ability.

I worked in the investment industry. It's a parade of this kind of behaviour. That's one reason why AI is taking over that industry.

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49340 on: November 28, 2018, 01:38:54 pm »
CNN
Trump appears consumed by Mueller investigation as details emerge
Analysis by Stephen Collinson, CNN 
5 hrs ago

Donald Trump's behavior isn't doing much to bolster White House assurances that he's got nothing to worry about from Robert Mueller's probe, after a series of potentially ominous turns in the Russia investigation.

The President's recent barrage of tweets and comments and testimony from sources close to him -- coinciding with thickening intrigue around the special counsel -- hint instead at deep concern on Trump's part.

"Heroes will come of this, and it won't be Mueller and his terrible Gang of Angry Democrats," Trump tweeted on Tuesday, blasting the special counsel as a "conflicted prosecutor gone rogue."

Despite this outburst of fury, White House press secretary Sarah Sanders painted a portrait of a President who was serenely awaiting Mueller's findings.

"I don't think the President has any concerns about the report because he knows that there was no wrongdoing by him and that there was no collusion," Sanders told reporters at her first daily briefing in a month.

The explanation for Trump's angst over his predicament seems to lie in a flurry of startling and potentially significant developments and reports swirling around his jailed ex-campaign chairman Paul Manafort and other associates.

Trump, the most powerful man in the world who crafted a self-flattering image as the ultimate strongman boss, is in a deeply vulnerable spot and appears to feel cornered and in increasing peril.

He has no choice but to watch as Mueller, an adversary whose discrete public profile makes him an elusive target, grinds away, apparently getting ever closer to Trump's inner circle and perhaps even to the President himself.

"The Mueller investigation is what it is. It just goes on and on and on," Trump told The Washington Post Tuesday when asked about his relentless, unseen foe.

Trump's lawyer Rudy Giuliani offered a hint of the toll being inflicted on Trump behind the scenes when he told CNN's Dana Bash the President had been "upset for weeks" about "the un-American, horrible treatment of Manafort."

Details emerge

While the White House refuses to budge from its denial of collusion between Trump and Russia in 2016, a string of events now coming to light is stretching the notion that this is all one harmless coincidence to the limit of credulity.

In the space of a few days, it emerged that Manafort's cooperation deal collapsed after Mueller accused him of lying on multiple occasions.

The Guardian reported on Tuesday that Manafort met Wikileaks founder Julian Assange, who is accused of blasting out emails stolen by Russian spies to attack Hillary Clinton, on a number of occasions in the Ecuadorian embassy in London. Both Manafort and Wikileaks have issued strenuous denials of the report -- Manafort called it "totally false and deliberately libelous" and Wikileaks was "willing to bet the Guardian a million dollars and its editor's head that Manafort never met Assange."

The paper's sourcing was also vague, making it difficult to assess the veracity of the reporting. So for now, joining the dots cannot produce definitive conclusions.

CNN later obtained draft court documents Tuesday with which Mueller plans to show how Trump associate Roger Stone allegedly sought information and emails from Wikileaks using another operative, Jerome Corsi, as a go between.

In another development, CNN contributor Carl Bernstein reported Tuesday that Mueller's team has been investigating a meeting between Manafort and Ecuadorian President Lenin Moreno in Quito in 2017 and has specifically asked if WikiLeaks or Assange was discussed in the meeting, according to a source with personal knowledge of the matter.

Such is the secrecy around Mueller's investigation that no one outside knows what he knows. The special counsel has yet to lay out any case against Trump or his close associates on either alleged collusion or obstruction of justice.

If there is such supporting evidence, it is not clear that Mueller would be able to prove malicious intent by Trump. But all of the recent developments suggest that the special counsel has penetrated deeply into the events surrounding the troubled 2016 election.

In his dismissal of a cooperation agreement with Manafort, for instance, Mueller's team said it has evidence to prove the former lobbyist lied "on a variety of subject matters" -- a fact that alone must leave Trump wondering about the extent of his knowledge.

There was immediate speculation that Manafort's apparent attempts to mislead Mueller amounted to an implicit plea for a pardon from the President. The White House said there had been talk of such a step. But adding to speculation that Manafort is angling for a pardon, Giuliani told Bash that the two legal teams had been in contact. This also raised the possibility that Trump has a genuine window into Mueller's progress, another factor that might explain his recent anger.

The New York Times reported that the cooperation between the two legal teams had inflamed tensions between the special counsel and Manafort's lawyers.

Potential impact

Former Watergate special prosecutor Richard Ben-Veniste told CNN's Brooke Baldwin on Tuesday that if the report of Manafort-Assange meetings was correct it would be extraordinary.

"What in the world would Mr. Manafort be doing meeting with Julian Assange if not to talk about Assange's role as a cut out for disseminating information the Russians obtained by illegal hacking?" Ben-Veniste said.

It was not clear whether Manafort's alleged lies dealt with the reported meeting with Assange. But given that the fugitive Australian is confined to his hideaway in the embassy, he or his hosts are likely under surveillance, intelligence that Mueller would likely be able to access.

Mueller is not the only potential threat to the President interested in the deepening questions. Democrats, poised to take power in the House, are already gearing up to reinvigorate a congressional investigation on Russia.

"A meeting with Julian Assange would be the smoking gun," said Rep. David Cicilline, D-Rhode Island, who sits on the House Judiciary Committee.

The House Democratic majority could eventually pose a grave threat to Trump's presidency and represents a devastating erosion of the force field of political protection so far offered by the GOP majority on Washington power -- another possible reason for his mood.

In the long term, any sustained dip in Trump's popularity -- his disapproval rating climbed to 60% in Gallup's weekly tracking poll -- could even eventually raise questions about the solidity of his standing among Senate Republicans that has so far always been seen as impenetrable.

Expectations high

The latest drama around Manafort is even more tantalizing given the possibility that the collapse of the cooperation agreement could prompt Mueller to reveal more about his tightly private investigation.

Special counsel prosecutors plan to detail Manafort's alleged lies in a number of areas in a sentencing memo that could be filed with the court in the coming weeks.

Mueller has used indictments and court filings throughout his tenure to embroider a rich picture of Russian intelligence hacking, a social media campaign to disrupt the election and cozy ties between Manafort and pro-Russian political figures in Ukraine.

So expectations will be high ahead of his filing if it is done in public

"Without releasing a report, without another indictment, Mr. Mueller would be in a position to reveal a lot of information that we would all find very interesting about his investigation in open court," said Ben-Veniste.

Such a filing is also now seen in Washington as a potential way around any attempt to disrupt a final report of the Russia investigation by Trump's acting-Attorney General Matt Whitaker.

The new focus on the man picked to succeed the sacked Jeff Sessions may also point to another possible spur for the President's current fury.

Trump has often seemed to know more about the probe than is available, and it's possible that Whitaker, who is now in charge of overseeing Mueller, has read him in on the inside story of the investigation.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-appears-consumed-by-mueller-investigation-as-details-emerge/ar-BBQbcEZ?ocid=spartanntp
Kill the humourless

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49341 on: November 28, 2018, 01:43:30 pm »
irony noun
iro·​ny | \ˈī-rə-nē  also ˈī(-ə)r-nē  \
plural ironies
Definition of irony
1a : the use of words to express something other than and especially the opposite of the literal meaning

"One of the problems that a lot of people like myself, we have very high levels of intelligence, but we're not necessarily such believers," Trump told the Post. "You look at our air and our water, and it's right now at a record clean."
My god, I got the chance to read the entire interview today. What a dumb, incoherent mess. Here's just one answer. :lmao
----------------

DAWSEY: You said yesterday when you were leaving that you were skeptical of a climate change report that the government had done. Can you just explain why you're skeptical of that report?

TRUMP: One of the problems that a lot of people like myself — we have very high levels of intelligence, but we’re not necessarily such believers. You look at our air and our water, and it’s right now at a record clean. But when you look at China and you look at parts of Asia and when you look at South America, and when you look at many other places in this world, including Russia, including — just many other places — the air is incredibly dirty. And when you’re talking about an atmosphere, oceans are very small. And it blows over and it sails over. I mean, we take thousands of tons of garbage off our beaches all the time that comes over from Asia. It just flows right down the Pacific, it flows, and we say where does this come from. And it takes many people to start off with.

Number two, if you go back and if you look at articles, they talked about global freezing, they talked about at some point the planets could have freeze to death, then it’s going to die of heat exhaustion. There is movement in the atmosphere. There’s no question. As to whether or not it’s man-made and whether or not the effects that you’re talking about are there, I don’t see it — not nearly like it is. Do we want clean water? Absolutely. Do we want clean air to breathe? Absolutely. The fire in California, where I was, if you looked at the floor, the floor of the fire, they have trees that were fallen, they did no forest management, no forest maintenance, and you can light — you can take a match like this and light a tree trunk when that thing is laying there for more than 14 or 15 months. And it’s a massive problem in California.

DAWSEY: So you’re saying you don’t see the —

TRUMP: Josh, you go to other places where they have denser trees — it’s more dense, where the trees are more flammable — they don’t have forest fires like this, because they maintain. And it was very interesting, I was watching the firemen, and they’re raking brush — you know the tumbleweed and brush, and all this stuff that’s growing underneath. It’s on fire, and they’re raking it, working so hard, and they’re raking all this stuff. If that was raked in the beginning, there’d be nothing to catch on fire. It’s very interesting to see. A lot of the trees, they took tremendous burn at the bottom, but they didn’t catch on fire. The bottom is all burned but they didn’t catch on fire because they sucked the water, they’re wet. You need forest management, and they don’t have it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2018/11/27/president-trumps-full-washington-post-interview-transcript-annotated/?utm_term=.f10a807b2b95
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 02:03:23 pm by soxfan »

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49342 on: November 28, 2018, 01:43:55 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/dMt8qCl5fPk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/dMt8qCl5fPk</a>
Kill the humourless

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #49343 on: November 28, 2018, 01:57:39 pm »
Executive Time is going splendidly well this morning.

The president just retweeted an image claiming that his current Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein (among others) should be tried for treason.

Think that's Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez beside Hillary, so at least it's an up-to-date meme.  Wouldn't want him to retweet out any old nonsense from years ago. These are public statements, you know.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #49344 on: November 28, 2018, 02:00:04 pm »
Think that's Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez beside Hillary

Thats Huma Abedien. A close friend of Hillary.

Her husband got in trouble for sending dick pics.

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #49345 on: November 28, 2018, 02:03:13 pm »
Thats Huma Abedien. A close friend of Hillary.

Her husband got in trouble for sending dick pics.

My bad, soz.  In my defence, I don't know who the guy is between her and Comey is either.

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49346 on: November 28, 2018, 02:30:26 pm »
The Washington Post
Analysis: How Mueller can use the Manafort plea to get around the White House — if he wants
Deanna Paul 
31 mins ago

Special counsel Robert S. Mueller III on Monday accused Paul Manafort — President Trump’s former campaign chairman — of breaching his cooperation agreement. In doing so, Mueller may have created the opportunity to release information outside of grand jury indictments and a final report, sidestepping acting attorney general Matthew G. Whitaker.

Manafort’s attorneys disputed allegations that he had repeatedly lied to federal agents since entering the deal in September. Mueller vowed to file a detailed sentencing memo with the court “that sets forth the nature of [Manafort’s] crimes and lies, including those after signing the plea agreement,” which will likely involve details about alleged contacts between Russians and the Trump campaign.

Now, the public could potentially see details from the special counsel’s investigation in the Manafort sentencing memo and its accompanying hearing.

Whitaker plays a significant role in whether Mueller’s findings are made public, according to attorney Jonathan Meyer, a partner at Sheppard Mullin and a former Department of Justice senior official.

When a special counsel concludes a grand jury investigation, Department of Justice regulations require he write a confidential report detailing his decision to indict or decline to indict its subjects and submit it to the attorney general.

The attorney general must then notify the chair and ranking member of the House and Senate Judiciary committees that the special counsel investigation has ended. The attorney general can forward the final report to Congress but is not required to. He is also authorized to release the document to the general public, if he determines it’s in the public interest.

For the time being, Whitaker, an outspoken critic of the Russia probe who has decried calls to recuse himself as Jeff Sessions did, is the acting attorney general.

Trump’s controversial appointment has been called unconstitutional; prominent figures across party lines opposed it, including George Conway and former solicitor general Neal Katyal, and Senate Democrats filed a lawsuit challenging it.

Since he has not recused himself from the special counsel investigation, Whitaker — and presumably, through him, the White House — will get the first look at the Mueller report. It will be his decision whether to disclose it to Congress or the American people.

As a practical matter, sitting on a report of this magnitude and media interest would be difficult. If the acting attorney general tried to restrict access, Meyer said there are several other ways Mueller’s findings could become public.

“It’s safe to say there’s going to be strong public pressure to release some version of the report, and since the Democrats will soon take control of the House, they have subpoena power as a measure to get it,” Meyer said, though a legal fight would ensue between Congress and the executive branch.

Another way the information may come out is through filings by Mueller himself.

In the past, he has intentionally released information by making certain indictments public and painstakingly detailed. Mueller could do the same with the Manafort sentencing memo, which would neither be covered by executive privilege nor in Whitaker’s reach.

At the same time, the sentencing memo may contain information that could hinder his ongoing work. Up to this point, the Mueller operation has been leak-proof, with no unnecessary disclosures, making it interesting whether he requests to have the memo sealed.

Many attorneys were struck by the extent Manafort’s lawyers appeared to distance themselves from their client. In Monday’s joint pleadings they wrote, “[Manafort] believes he has provided truthful information.”

David Sklansky, co-director of Stanford Law’s Criminal Justice Center, told The Post that it is significant "that Manafort’s attorneys won’t even attest to ‘we think he’s telling the truth.’ ”

To decide whether Manafort breached the agreement, the judge will review Mueller’s sentencing memo and hold a hearing. Mueller’s team, bearing the burden of proof, will be required to prove two things: What did Manafort tell them and why is it a lie?

Mueller will need to introduce evidence about the truth of matters Manafort was questioned about, Sklansky said.

“Prosecutors are allowed to use grand jury testimony to prove substantive evidence at the hearing. The fact that information may have been obtained in the grand jury will not bar Mueller from bringing it up,” he said.

The hearing will likely be a matter of public record. More, the ultimate question — whether Manafort violated terms of the deal — will be out of Whitaker’s hand and up to the sentencing judge.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/analysis-how-mueller-can-use-the-manafort-plea-to-get-around-the-white-house-—-if-he-wants/ar-BBQca1W?ocid=spartanntp

Btw, Trump can only pardon Federal offenses.  Mueller is pursuing State charges as backup.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 02:35:41 pm by jambutty »
Kill the humourless

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #49347 on: November 28, 2018, 02:30:56 pm »
My god, I got the chance to read the entire interview today. What a dumb, incoherent mess. Here's just one answer. :lmao
----------------

DAWSEY: You said yesterday when you were leaving that you were skeptical of a climate change report that the government had done. Can you just explain why you're skeptical of that report?

TRUMP: One of the problems that a lot of people like myself — we have very high levels of intelligence, but we’re not necessarily such believers. You look at our air and our water, and it’s right now at a record clean. But when you look at China and you look at parts of Asia and when you look at South America, and when you look at many other places in this world, including Russia, including — just many other places — the air is incredibly dirty. And when you’re talking about an atmosphere, oceans are very small. And it blows over and it sails over. I mean, we take thousands of tons of garbage off our beaches all the time that comes over from Asia. It just flows right down the Pacific, it flows, and we say where does this come from. And it takes many people to start off with.

Number two, if you go back and if you look at articles, they talked about global freezing, they talked about at some point the planets could have freeze to death, then it’s going to die of heat exhaustion. There is movement in the atmosphere. There’s no question. As to whether or not it’s man-made and whether or not the effects that you’re talking about are there, I don’t see it — not nearly like it is. Do we want clean water? Absolutely. Do we want clean air to breathe? Absolutely. The fire in California, where I was, if you looked at the floor, the floor of the fire, they have trees that were fallen, they did no forest management, no forest maintenance, and you can light — you can take a match like this and light a tree trunk when that thing is laying there for more than 14 or 15 months. And it’s a massive problem in California.

DAWSEY: So you’re saying you don’t see the —

TRUMP: Josh, you go to other places where they have denser trees — it’s more dense, where the trees are more flammable — they don’t have forest fires like this, because they maintain. And it was very interesting, I was watching the firemen, and they’re raking brush — you know the tumbleweed and brush, and all this stuff that’s growing underneath. It’s on fire, and they’re raking it, working so hard, and they’re raking all this stuff. If that was raked in the beginning, there’d be nothing to catch on fire. It’s very interesting to see. A lot of the trees, they took tremendous burn at the bottom, but they didn’t catch on fire. The bottom is all burned but they didn’t catch on fire because they sucked the water, they’re wet. You need forest management, and they don’t have it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2018/11/27/president-trumps-full-washington-post-interview-transcript-annotated/?utm_term=.f10a807b2b95

What the actual fuck was that response. The man is an idiot.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #49348 on: November 28, 2018, 02:34:18 pm »

Everytime he talks I weep for this nation, it's like listening to a 6 year give a book report on something he has a vague idea about.

Water is wet, sky is big, which means clouds and ummm blue sky and air and stuff.

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49349 on: November 28, 2018, 02:36:59 pm »
Everytime he talks I weep for this nation, it's like listening to a 6 year give a book report on something he has a vague idea about.

Water is wet, sky is big, which means clouds and ummm blue sky and air and stuff.

Saudi Arabia is buying $14B, erm $100B of "things".
Kill the humourless

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49350 on: November 28, 2018, 02:40:15 pm »

He's a simpleton.  He speaks to simpletons like a 10 year old and says everything twice or thrice in case you missed it the first time thinking it adds corroboration.
Kill the humourless

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49351 on: November 28, 2018, 02:49:36 pm »
My bad, soz.  In my defence, I don't know who the guy is between her and Comey is either.

Clapper
Kill the humourless

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49352 on: November 28, 2018, 02:51:08 pm »
Kill the humourless

Offline WTF?

• Anny Roader
  • These go to 11
« Reply #49353 on: November 28, 2018, 03:45:06 pm »
He's a simpleton.  He speaks to simpletons like a 10 year old and says everything twice or thrice in case you missed it the first time thinking it adds corroboration.

No, no, no, no, no. He knows words. He has the best words.  ;D

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #49354 on: November 28, 2018, 03:51:41 pm »
Executive Time is going splendidly well this morning.

The president just retweeted an image claiming that his current Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein (among others) should be tried for treason.

Think that's Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez beside Hillary, so at least it's an up-to-date meme.  Wouldn't want him to retweet out any old nonsense from years ago. These are public statements, you know.

His Twitter account is a fucking bot filled shitshow this morning. Embarrassing

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49355 on: November 28, 2018, 04:12:28 pm »
The Man Behind
the President’s Tweets
Unraveling the mystery of Dan Scavino, the White House social media director, whose job is to help @realDonaldTrump stay unpresidential.

By ROBERT DRAPERAPRIL 16, 2018

Last July, President Donald Trump was sued in federal court over his Twitter habits. It wasn’t the tone or content of Trump’s approximately 37,300 tweets that had landed him in trouble. Instead, it was the possible unconstitutionality of the way he uses one feature of the platform: the block button. The plaintiffs, represented by Columbia University’s Knight First Amendment Institute, were seven individuals — ranging from a freelance journalist to a New York comedian to a Texas police officer — who had sent negative replies to an @realDonaldTrump tweet and were subsequently blocked by the president. Though Trump’s Twitter account purports to be a personal one, the plaintiffs argued, his writings invariably involved government business and executive opinions — making his posts a public forum to which all American citizens should be guaranteed access.

Though @realDonaldTrump reads like the unabridged representation of a singular man’s impulses, three other defendants were named in the suit, which is expected to be ruled upon in the Southern District of New York in the coming months. One of them was Hope Hicks, long a public face of Trump World, the 29-year-old former model who spent the past three years as Trump’s media liaison before leaving the White House in late March. A second was Trump’s press secretary, Sarah Huckabee Sanders, the president’s designated mouthpiece. But the third, unlike Hicks and Sanders, was someone most Americans have never heard of: a man named Dan Scavino Jr.

Scavino was another of the “originals” on Trump’s 2016 campaign, and I saw him numerous times on the trail, but I could never quite ascertain what he was doing to further his boss’s presidential ambitions. Aggressively nondescript, Scavino could often be seen in a suit at the side of the stage, taking photos of the immense rally crowds with his iPhone and later, while scowling at his laptop aboard Trump’s 757, posting the images to Facebook. The other fixtures on Trump’s plane — Hicks, the campaign manager Corey Lewandowski, the policy adviser Stephen Miller and the security director Keith Schiller — had roles that, in a famously unorthodox campaign, at least seemed familiar. But Scavino’s sole task, from what I could tell, was to document Trump’s popularity.

My perplexity over Scavino deepened after Inauguration Day, even as he got an official title: assistant to the president and director of social media, a position that had never existed before and one that paid him the maximum White House staff salary of $179,700. The Trump White House continued to employ an official photographer (Shealah Craighead) as well as a chief digital officer (Ory Rinat). This small digital team shared a suite across the street, in the Executive Office Building. But Scavino got an office on the ground floor of the West Wing, just down the hall from the leader of the free world.

The only official function Scavino filled that might justify his salary and his prime White House real estate was detailed in the lawsuit’s stipulation of facts. “Scavino,” both parties to the lawsuit agreed, “assists President Trump in operating the @realDonaldTrump account, including by drafting and posting tweets to the account.” No one else, besides Trump himself, had access to the most consequential and controversial social media account in the world.

A couple of months after the lawsuit was filed, I paid a visit to the White House to inform Hope Hicks that I wanted to write about Scavino and his value to the president. Hicks was not enthusiastic. The story had already been done, she maintained vaguely, before adding that Scavino was himself unlikely to pull back the curtain any further about his life — and besides, she hastened to assure me, there really wasn’t much of a curtain to pull back. (Scavino declined to be interviewed for this article.) Dan, she said, was simply a selfless public servant who worked tirelessly for the president of the United States. As to his actual value, Hicks offered a curious descriptor I would also hear from several others: Scavino was “the conductor of the Trump Train.”

For those who have forgotten the history of that particular phrase, the “Trump Train” began early in the campaign as a quixotic rallying cry. At the time, Trump’s presidential ambitions seemed like a populist burlesque rather than anything that could seriously be called a political movement. But the reality-TV star’s fan base continued to grow, in defiance of polling and Beltway groupthink and in direct proportion (or so it seemed) to his mounting pile of scandals and outré policy proposals. The Trump Train, it soon became clear, was a juggernaut, and before long the phrase became second only to “Make America Great Again” as Trump fans’ most cherished meme.

In hindsight, the phrase’s rise is also a good illustration of why Scavino, as the behind-the-scenes cheerleader and relentless documentarian of the Trump movement, deserves significant credit for its success. Perhaps the most profound effect of Scavino’s countless iPhone videos and photos is that they served as proof to so-called “shy Trump supporters” that they were not alone — that they were in fact (regardless of what the mainstream media reported) poised to make history. As Jason Miller, the campaign’s senior communications adviser, puts it: “You could make the case that without Dan fulfilling his core mission of conveying the excitement, people wouldn’t have realized that they were part of a movement. It was absolutely critical in encouraging people to turn out.”

But now that they had turned out for Trump and he was America’s 45th president, what did he still need Scavino for? I spent the next six months trying to find out, even as the ranks of “originals” dwindled. Keith Schiller left in September. Soon after Hope Hicks exited the building on March 29, Scavino — now the longest-tenured Trump employee in the White House — took over her office, just outside the Oval. By these measures, he was one of the most powerful people in Washington, despite the fact that no one could explain what Scavino did for a living.

Back in November 2013, before Twitter had fully transformed into the cesspool of outrage and vitriol it is today, a 37-year-old man named Dan Scavino decided to post his own contribution to a trending hashtag, #MentionSomeoneYoureThankfulFor.

“Simple!” he wrote. “I would not be where I am today w/o him. Thank you @realDonaldTrump!!”

Scavino was then leading the placid life of a suburban striver. Together with his wife of 13 years, their two sons and two Portuguese water dogs, he lived in a four-bedroom house in Dutchess County, N.Y., looking out onto the sixth hole of the neighborhood golf course. An English schoolteacher’s son, he had played tight end and defensive end on his high school football team the year they won state and had kissed the ring of Pope John Paul II. He had in fact twice finagled front-row seats to see the pope, just as he had talked his way into a sales job at Coca-Cola while polishing the company president’s golf clubs during his summer employment as a caddy. His genial hustling had earned him minor celebrity upstate: Scavino frequently dropped in on the studio of the K104.7 “Woodman in the Morning” radio show, and as a philanthropically minded Catholic, he could be counted on to judge a charity cupcake contest and to walk the runway in a “Best Legs in the Hudson Valley” competition.

But what propelled Scavino’s ascent more than any other factor was his relationship with Donald Trump. The two first met in 1990, when Scavino was a teenage caddy at a Westchester County course that Trump would eventually purchase and rename the Trump National Golf Club. Scavino carried Trump’s clubs, earning a $200 tip from the developer — who later in the club’s Grille Room told the caddy, “You are going to work for me one day.”

Scavino went on to major in communications at the State University of New York in Plattsburgh; he did a six-month internship at Walt Disney World, then later got a job with the Texas-based Galderma Laboratories as a pharmaceutical rep; he married and settled down. But throughout it all, he held onto the two hundred-dollar bills that Trump had given him. When that same Westchester golf club, which now bore the billionaire’s name, offered Scavino a job as an assistant manager in 2004, he accepted. Four years later, he was the club’s general manager, whizzing around America in the big man’s private plane. After a brief and not altogether successful stint running his own consulting firm, Scavino reached out to Trump’s son Eric in November 2014 to see if he could come back into the fold. On Nov. 8, having heard the rumors of a possible presidential bid, Scavino buttonholed his old boss at Eric’s wedding and said, “When you run, I’m in.”

What Scavino was offering were the services of a registered independent who had no experience in politics. He had only one qualification: He was a Trump die-hard. Lewandowski hired him on the spot. In June 2015, the two men, along with Hicks and the political adviser Sam Nunberg, moved into a cramped office on the 24th floor of Trump Tower. Scavino’s first assignment was to try to find big-ticket contributors to Trump’s campaign, an effort that proved fruitless, as the Republican donor class did not take his candidacy seriously. Scavino would later be enjoined to cultivate relationships within the Republican National Committee, which at that time viewed the bombastic New York businessman and reality-TV star with eye-rolling skepticism. He had no luck with that effort either.

A more suitable job for Scavino materialized shortly after Trump’s formal announcement of his candidacy on June 16, 2015. The campaign had been trying to curry favor with the powerful publisher Joe McQuaid, whose endorsement in The New Hampshire Union Leader was among the most highly coveted in the early primary states. But this charm offensive threatened to come undone when, during Ivanka Trump’s visit on June 24 to announce the opening of a campaign office in Manchester, McQuaid’s daughter was unable to get her photo taken with the socialite. Trump was infuriated when he learned of this. To prevent similar dust-ups in the future, Scavino had another duty added to his portfolio: going to the early primary states to tend to the needs of the local kingmakers.

In this new role, as with so many of his roles for Trump over the years, Scavino continued to serve as a kind of caddy. He went on food runs for the candidate to McDonald’s and KFC. He faithfully typed out Trump’s tweets as the candidate dictated them. He also wandered the events, climbed the rafters and snapped smartphone pictures, which he then posted on both his and the campaign’s various social-media accounts. It happened that the campaign already had a professional photographer on the payroll. But this was becoming a liability, in that she tended to take hundreds of images at each event, and the candidate would insist on spending hours of valuable time poring over every last one of them. The campaign did nominally have a social media specialist — Justin McConney, son of the Trump Organization’s controller — but he lacked Scavino’s instinct for the base, and in any event, McConney was stationed back at Trump Tower, away from the real action on the campaign trail. By early 2016, Scavino had become in essence both the Trump campaign’s traveling photographer and its social media chieftain. And because the self-funding candidate had no intention of spending a dime on media coverage, Scavino with his Facebook videography also became the closest thing the Trump campaign had to an in-house ad maker.

Scavino’s willingness to take on other people’s online grunt work made him indispensable to the campaign. Early in the primary, the candidate’s son-in-law, Jared Kushner, argued to Trump that Facebook was much more powerful than his preferred platform, Twitter. “Every Facebook user is probably worth 10 to 12 times more than one of your Twitter followers,” Kushner told him. “And look, I think your Facebook page is totally underutilized.” The candidate responded, “Congratulations, then — you’re now in charge of my Facebook.” Kushner turned around and handed over that job to Scavino.

Even as Scavino’s deployment of campaign imagery onto Facebook helped accelerate the Trump Train, it was Twitter, with its visceral impact, that remained Trump’s abiding love. “Somebody said I’m the Ernest Hemingway of 140 characters,” he crowed during an event in South Carolina in November 2015. (The “somebody” was most likely one of his employees.) On his plane or in limousines, he would dictate tweets for Scavino to post. Others, including Scavino, would goad Trump with their own suggestions. (Hope Hicks would supply the choicest put-downs, recalls a former campaign official: “She’d have absolute daggers.”) Trump would give his missive a final read to make sure that it had not been watered down, and Scavino would hit “Tweet.”

Now and again, Trump would enlist Scavino — whose followers today exceed 475,000 — to act as a proxy, attacking the campaign’s enemies from his own account. At other times, Scavino took the initiative himself. Before long, the personal feed that had once been a totem of cornball folksiness included harsh attacks on Megyn Kelly, “Lyin’ Ted” Cruz and other perceived antagonists. In March 2016, Scavino retweeted a conspiracy video purporting to demonstrate that Cruz was having an affair with a former aide, Amanda Carpenter. Carpenter, who is married with children, went on the air and heatedly denied any impropriety. She also condemned Scavino by name, calling his attack a “smear job.”

“It was a campaign, and they fight dirty, and they didn’t mind if I was collateral damage in the process,” Carpenter told me. “And they won. And no consequences. What Scavino did to me and what he still does to others would get any other professional fired. In Trump’s universe, it’s a qualification. A willingness to engage in lies and smears on behalf of Donald Trump is a sign of loyalty that Trump treasures.”

“It’s so great that I have Twitter now, because I can knock the crap out of people,” Donald Trump told me one afternoon in late March 2016 at his South Florida country club Mar-a-Lago. “I have my own printing press now!” he added with Falstaffian relish.

Still, nothing in Trump’s earliest social media forays would prefigure the towering role that Twitter eventually played in his political branding. Trump opened his @realDonaldTrump account in March 2009, only to ignore it for the better part of two years. Giving in to the urging of his political advisers Roger Stone and Sam Nunberg, Trump began to tweet about his hotel properties and his TV show. Soon he offered up sundry nuggets on his importance to the Yankees (“They always win when I am there”) and on how to succeed in life (“Show me someone without an ego, and I’ll show you a loser”). Like a fading matinee idol, Trump had an embarrassing tendency to preen, particularly once his musings turned to politics, around the run-up to the 2012 election. “My daughter Ivanka thinks I should run for president,” he tweeted on Jan. 25 of that year. “Maybe I should listen.” (“He’d be phenomenal!” Ivanka exclaimed in the linked Hollywood Life article.)

Of course, at that point the microblogging platform played a marginal-at-best role in American political life, even less so in presidential politics. Barack Obama was a reluctant pioneer in this regard. Tweets from his @POTUS account would undergo a policy and legal vetting process, and it could sometimes take days or even weeks before they were finally posted. The thought of using Twitter as a political cudgel “would have been completely against our values,” says Macon Phillips, Obama’s first digital director. “I think I would have left. I think a lot of us would have.”

Scavino was one of the most powerful people in Washington, despite the fact that no one could explain what he did for a living.

At the time he announced his candidacy in the summer of 2015, Trump himself was unsure of the role Twitter would play in his campaign. His tweets then seemed to demonstrate only the fundamental unseriousness of his presidential ambitions. As the campaign wore on, however, the candidate’s online disparagements no longer suggested a man bent on self-immolation. Rather, they reinforced the campaign talking point that here, at long last, was an honest politician who did not bother to conceal his lesser angels. His incessant howling of personal grievance only helped to show that the aloof titan of Fifth Avenue, mythologized in “The Apprentice,” had a tender underbelly. In baring his smallness, the billionaire New York developer managed to collapse the differences between his gilded life and that of white Middle America.

Today Trump has not so much drained Washington’s swamp as convulsed it with daily electroshocks of presidential id. Journalists now routinely awaken to the sound of a notification on their smartphones, telling them that the president is already up and driving the news in 280-character gonzo fusillades. A far more common spectacle today than a legislative signing ceremony is the image of House Speaker Paul Ryan facing the microphones and, with a mortician’s smile, trying to explain away his party leader’s latest tweet: “It’s what he does. We’ve kind of learned to live with it.” (Or maybe not: Ryan made it less than halfway through Trump’s first term before announcing his retirement from Congress.) The question of whether Trump’s social media outbursts constitute actual news has been rendered moot by his front-page-worthy announcements on Twitter: that his secretary of Veterans Affairs has been replaced, that he considers his own attorney general “beleaguered,” that “trade wars are good,” that “DACA is dead.” The Trump presidency’s defining feature — its resolute abnormality — is above all the handiwork of @realDonaldTrump. It therefore stands to reason that Trump’s most valued aide is the one whose job description has no precedent.

Scavino’s importance to the president certainly helps explain how he has managed to survive a succession of internecine bloodlettings in the West Wing. But it’s also the case that he is well liked among his colleagues, several of whom offered to help me understand his intrinsic value. Typically such efforts descended into cliché: “I’ve never met anyone who’s as hard-working or as loyal.” “The one guy who outworked me.” “The president has zero concern that Dan has any interest in anything but serving him.” “You never see Dan out there hogging the limelight.” One senior White House official told me that the president trusts Scavino when it comes to personnel decisions. “Dan’s a very good judge of people,” he told me. When I asked if he could supply me with any examples of Scavino’s advice-giving, the official replied coolly, “Absolutely not.” But one longtime friend of Scavino’s offered an illuminating analogy. “Golf is a sport of the least mistakes,” he said. “That’s how someone like Dan might float to the top — by not doing anything wrong.”

One of Scavino’s main roles is the care and feeding of his boss’s ego. He has learned how to fend off any negativity with a ready supply of superlatives. While Hope Hicks would inform Trump about how some matter might be playing in the mainstream media, Scavino, Hicks told me, would “tell him how things are playing with his people. That’s a gauge for him that the president takes seriously.” Checking in with the base is as easy as looking at his phone. Scavino’s old friend offered an example: “Dan would scroll through his Twitter feed and if Franklin Graham says something particularly complimentary, he’ll say, ‘Look what Franklin Graham just wrote.’ Or if [CNN show host] Brian Stelter says something particularly stupid, he’ll run over and say, ‘Look what Fake News is doing.’ ”

More than anyone else in the White House, the director of social media spends his day online, monitoring the #MAGA congregation. “Dan talks to the base more than anybody else after the president,” one senior White House official told me. “He’s the conductor of the Trump Train, and these people know he’s true blue, and he also knows all the influencers.” A year ago, the former chief strategist Steve Bannon shared a West Wing office with Scavino. “He has his hands on the Pepes,” Bannon recalls, referring to the cartoon frog that serves as mascot to the alt-right. “He knew who the players were and who were not. He’d bring me Cernovich — I didn’t know who Cernovich was until Scavino told me.” Bannon was referring to the alt-right blogger Mike Cernovich, who has frequently promoted debunked and scurrilous conspiracy theories.

When I asked Cernovich about his relationship with Scavino, he claimed they had none. “No, never met him, never emailed with him, never D.M.’ed with him, and I don’t think he’s ever tweeted at me,” Cernovich said. In fact, by Cernovich’s standards, the Trump social media director was something of a lightweight. “Scavino’s not an ideologue,” he said disapprovingly. “I don’t think he wakes up and says, ‘Holy hell, I want to break things today — who do I go after?’ It’s more, ‘I like my job and the Trump family.’ ” Still, Cernovich acknowledged that Scavino had most likely served as a conduit between the alt-right and Trump, if only through his eagerness to bring passionate fans to his boss’s attention.

Since arriving in the nation’s capital, Scavino has kept attacking President Trump’s opponents from his own Twitter account: Nancy Pelosi, Bill Kristol, Kathy Griffin. Last April, he went after Justin Amash, a Republican congressman from Michigan and frequent critic of Trump. Calling Amash “a big liability,” Scavino’s tweet urged, “#TrumpTrain, defeat him in primary.” Not easily intimidated, Amash replied, “Bring it on.” But what instead was brought on was an investigation by the Office of Special Counsel, which concluded that Scavino had violated the Hatch Act, the law that forbids engaging in political activity while acting in your capacity as a government employee. On June 5, the O.S.C. disclosed that it had put Scavino on notice. Though its statement made clear that future violations could result in harsher punishment, it neglected to say that only one individual could mete out that punishment: the president of the United States.

The full extent of Scavino’s role in Trump’s Twitter regimen has never been fully disclosed. White House officials initially maintained to me that he only typed and posted verbatim what Trump dictated to him, while occasionally contributing anodyne tweets relating to the president’s schedule. (“News conference at the White House concerning the Omnibus Spending Bill. 1:00 P.M.”) Somewhat begrudgingly, one senior official did not deny that Scavino also sometimes corrected Trump’s spelling errors. But the Knight Institute lawsuit had named Scavino, Hicks and Sanders because, as communications staff members, they are likely to “suggest content” for Trump’s tweets, just as Trump’s subordinates did during the campaign.

In particular, said one individual who witnessed this interactivity on the campaign trail and another who saw it in the White House, Scavino frequently supplied the litany of details in Trump’s tweets about, say, claims of Crooked Hillary’s various malfeasances or of the F.B.I.’s corrupt activity. “Fifty percent of the time, Trump is ripping these out himself, and 50 percent is going to Scavino,” one of them told me.

Evidence of Scavino’s active participation in Trump’s tweets emerged last autumn. On the morning of Oct. 4, Scavino posted to his own account one of the social media director’s usual rants against the media: “NBC news is #FakeNews and more dishonest than even CNN. They are a disgrace to good reporting. No wonder their news ratings are way down!” One minute later, the identical message was posted on his boss’s account as an original Trump tweet. Scavino hastily deleted his first tweet, but not before eagle-eyed users took screen shots.

None of this should be so controversial, of course. No one believes that Trump writes the speeches he delivers any more than they believe he wrote “The Art of the Deal.” And in the end, only a fool would suggest that his tweets represent the essence of someone other than Donald J. Trump. All the same, my suggestion to a senior White House official that Trump might have some help in producing his mini-masterpieces was met with heated indignation. I was insulting the president’s capabilities. I was engaging in rank speculation. I was rewriting American history.

Still, the White House official did not once categorically state that Trump was the sole author of every word of his tweets. And in the meantime, Scavino, in the manner of any caddy who knows his place, continually avoided taking credit. He refused to answer even my basic question: What, exactly, did he do?

“When I was a first-year government student,” recalled the former Republican National Committee chairman and Bush strategist Ken Mehlman recently, “one of the first articles we had to read was Norman Mailer’s ‘Superman Comes to the Supermarket,’ which explained how J.F.K. was the man for the television age. It’s very possible that just as Kennedy possessed unique skills for that age, Donald Trump does for the social media age.” With Twitter, Trump has succeeded in subverting the news media, so-called allies and the annoying constraints of human civility. Trump’s oft-repeated vow that he will never stop tweeting may count as his most rational act as president. It may also explain why Scavino could outlast everyone else in the White House.

He has outlasted Hope Hicks, who used to steam the president’s pants, and Keith Schiller, who — as I once witnessed backstage at a campaign event in Buffalo — used to help apply hair product to the postmodern sculpture atop Trump’s head. Managing Trump’s Twitter account, as it turns out, is an even more intimate act, something only Scavino has ever been trusted with. “I told Dan many times during the campaign, ‘Once we win, you’ll have an entire team,’ ” Corey Lewandowski recalls. “I’ve seen him many times since then, and it’s still a one-man operation.”

On a recent Monday in late March, I dropped by the West Wing to have one last in-person visit with some of Scavino’s colleagues and hopefully catch a glimpse of the social media director. The evening before, Yashar Ali of The Huffington Post had broken the news that Scavino’s wife, Jennifer, had filed for divorce several weeks earlier. I had heard rumors of the split from a former White House staff member who, while praising Scavino’s crazed work ethic and fealty to Trump, casually added, “By the way, it also destroyed his marriage.” Scavino had long struggled to balance his ambitions with caring for his wife, who suffers from chronic Lyme disease. That day in the West Wing, he was nowhere to be seen by the time I arrived. Scavino had boarded Air Force One with Trump and flown to Manchester to capture images of the president somberly proposing the death penalty for opioid dealers.

The personal toll of being Trump’s social media director may not end at Scavino’s marriage. Last December, The Washington Post reported that an executive with Vkontakte, Russia’s version of Facebook, had twice emailed Scavino and Donald Trump Jr. during the presidential campaign, offering to promote Trump’s candidacy on the platform. According to an email read to The Post, Scavino’s response to the American intermediary, Rob Goldstone, was effusive: “Please feel free to send me whatever you have. Thank you so much for looking out for Mr. Trump and his presidential campaign.”

A month after the Post story, Dianne Feinstein, the ranking Democratic member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, wrote Scavino a four-page letter. Noting media reports that Scavino is a “constant presence at Trump’s side,” Feinstein speculated that Scavino would know about the president’s decision to fire the F.B.I. director James Comey, as well as Russia’s interference in the 2016 election. The senator therefore was writing “to request documents and to schedule an interview with you in January 2018.”

Scavino retained the services of an attorney, who informed Feinstein that Trump’s social media director would not be responding to her requests. Without bipartisan prodding from the Judiciary Committee, and with Trump’s backing, he was free to ignore the Senate inquiry. Still, Scavino’s tweet from November 2013 proved prescient in ways he had not expected: He would not be where he was today without @realDonaldTrump.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/16/magazine/dan-scavino-the-secretary-of-offense.html

« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 06:48:49 pm by jambutty »
Kill the humourless

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49356 on: November 28, 2018, 04:16:43 pm »
Mexico honour for US's Kushner sparks criticism

Mexico's outgoing leader is to give President Trump's son-in-law Jared Kushner the country's top honour for foreigners, sparking criticism from prominent Mexicans.

Mr Kushner, a White House adviser, is to join the Order of the Aztec Eagle for his work on a US-Mexico trade deal.

Outgoing president Enrique Peña Nieto will give him the award on Thursday at the G20 world leaders summit in Argentina, reports said.

The decision trended on social media.

Recalling that Mr Trump described Mexicans as murderers and rapists during the 2016 election campaign, Historian Enrique Krauze said it "reflects a supreme attitude of humiliation and cowardice".

Actor Gael Garcia Bernal meanwhile said it was "tremendously shameful".

Previous awardees of the Order of the Aztec Eagle include Colombian Nobel winning author Gabriel Garcia Marquez and former South African President Nelson Mandela.

Mr Kushner held meetings with Mexico's leadership and top officials from other countries as he helped broker the new trade deal, known as the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement, or USMCA. Mexico reached agreement with the US in August while Canada joined in September.

It came after Mr Trump threatened to pull the US out of the 1994 North American Free Trade Agreement, arguing that it was unfair on the US.

On Saturday Mr Peña Nieto's successor, President-elect Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador, will be inaugurated following his landslide election victory in July.

Mr Kushner's wife Ivanka Trump and US Vice-President Mike Pence are expected to be among the US officials attending his swearing-in.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-46376341

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #49357 on: November 28, 2018, 04:19:49 pm »
If this is accurate :lmao

Ken Dilanian@KenDilanianNBC
The conversations that Manafort's lawyers had with Trump's lawyers are not privileged, legal experts tell me. So in theory, Mueller could haul them all before the grand jury and make them testify under oath about them. Whether he will do that is another matter,

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #49358 on: November 28, 2018, 04:21:41 pm »
Baffling how these people keep getting rewarded.

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49359 on: November 28, 2018, 05:22:59 pm »
Ivanka Trump says her private emails not like Clinton's

US President Donald Trump's daughter and adviser Ivanka has defended her use of a personal email account, saying it was nothing like Hillary Clinton's.

"There's no equivalency," she said in an ABC interview aired on Wednesday.

"Everything has been preserved, everything has been archived," said Ms Trump, 37, who holds the official title of adviser to the president.

"My emails have not been deleted, nor was there anything of substance, nothing confidential, within them. There's no connection between the two things."

"People who want to see it as the same see it as the same," Ms Trump added. "But the fact is that we all have private emails and personal emails to co-ordinate with our family."

The senior White House adviser also noted that there is "no prohibition from using private email as long as it's archived" and contains no classified information.

It is not illegal for White House officials to use a personal email, but they must forward any official messages to a government account within 20 days for preservation, and there are rules against sharing classified information on personal accounts.

Ms Trump said the emails sent to her private account were mainly regarding scheduling and logistics to balance her home and work life.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46377563

The bit in bold determined by the impartial arbiter that is her personal attorney.

After discovering the extent of her email use in September 2017, White House lawyers relied on Lowell, Ivanka Trump’s attorney, to help review her personal emails to determine which were personal and which were official business, according to the people.

The White House Counsel’s Office did not have access to her personal account and could not review it without invading her privacy and possibly violating privileged communications with her attorneys, people familiar with the review said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/ivanka-trump-used-a-personal-email-account-to-send-hundreds-of-emails-about-government-business-last-year/2018/11/19/6515d1e0-e7a1-11e8-a939-9469f1166f9d_story.html