16 (6.8%)
Labour
50 (21.2%)
GP
8 (3.4%)
Ind/Others
59 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 236

Author Topic: The Irish Politics Thread.  (Read 149563 times)

Online goalrushatgoodison

• Believer
  • Still waiting for the great leap forward.
Re: The Irish Politics Thread.
« Reply #4560 on: May 24, 2017, 06:54:22 AM »
I like the things Varadkar has set out to do. None of this populist bollocks you see from most.

Infrastructure is a must and making the tax system fairer would be a great start. Banning essential public services from striking is a good one but I don't see it happening.

You don't think that banning essential public services from striking would be populist?
Those whom the Gods would destroy, they first make mad.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Swing Low...
  • Believer
« Reply #4561 on: May 24, 2017, 12:42:53 PM »
You don't think that banning essential public services from striking would be populist?
Fair point

Online kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #4562 on: May 24, 2017, 01:35:47 PM »
I like the things Varadkar has set out to do. None of this populist bollocks you see from most.

Infrastructure is a must and making the tax system fairer would be a great start. Banning essential public services from striking is a good one but I don't see it happening.
There are issues there with regards essential public services striking but I certainly won't be voting for any party who wants to make striking illegal, whether public or private.
I still hope he gets in ahead of Coveney though. I've no time for him at all.
Love For Club

Offline MBL?

• Believer
« Reply #4563 on: May 24, 2017, 02:02:44 PM »
Not sure whether it's the unions or workers fault but I think it's unfair that we can be held to ransom. I think everyone should be entitled to a fair wage but the luas and bus drivers took the piss. If they were that unhappy with theier wages they should have to do what the rest of us do and find a new job.

Offline Banter

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #4564 on: May 24, 2017, 04:53:25 PM »
Going after dole cheats and making a public song and dance about it not populist enough for you?

Leo is another lizard

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #4565 on: May 24, 2017, 04:54:33 PM »
Looks like the Dublin/Everywhere else rifts are opening nicely.

Online kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #4566 on: May 24, 2017, 05:38:21 PM »
Not sure whether it's the unions or workers fault but I think it's unfair that we can be held to ransom. I think everyone should be entitled to a fair wage but the luas and bus drivers took the piss. If they were that unhappy with theier wages they should have to do what the rest of us do and find a new job.
And if they all went and got new jobs, who'd drive the buses?
Love For Club

Offline Banter

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #4567 on: May 24, 2017, 05:42:40 PM »
Trying to ban certain occupations from striking is fascism

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Truthiness
« Reply #4568 on: May 24, 2017, 06:04:33 PM »

I'd love a go. Not too arsed about picking up passengers, but you know, minor details.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Sarge

• Believer
  • Ahh Ha!!
« Reply #4569 on: May 24, 2017, 06:10:58 PM »
There are issues there with regards essential public services striking but I certainly won't be voting for any party who wants to make striking illegal, whether public or private.
I still hope he gets in ahead of Coveney though. I've no time for him at all.

Agree but would never vote FF/FG anyway, not a fan of both but no idea who i would prefer.
If you don’t stand for something you will fall for anything.

Offline Sarge

• Believer
  • Ahh Ha!!
« Reply #4570 on: May 24, 2017, 06:12:22 PM »
Looks like the Dublin/Everywhere else rifts are opening nicely.

Hahahaaaa true but Coveney looks do now to be honest.

Offline Sarge

• Believer
  • Ahh Ha!!
« Reply #4571 on: May 24, 2017, 06:12:50 PM »
Trying to ban certain occupations from striking is fascism

And never going to work. Should I mention the Blue Shirts or will I say nothing?

Offline Banter

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #4572 on: May 24, 2017, 06:14:45 PM »
I'd love a go. Not too arsed about picking up passengers, but you know, minor details.
Move the cab up to the top deck, smoking fags and drinking cans on your free lane around the city

Offline Sarge

• Believer
  • Ahh Ha!!
« Reply #4573 on: May 24, 2017, 06:34:47 PM »
Unionism tended to listen to Mcguinness much more than Gerry Adams. People I know switch off when he comes on the TV.

Not just Unionists to be honest mate, in the South Adams would be not liked in many quarters where as McGuinness was tolerated more.

Offline Sarge

• Believer
  • Ahh Ha!!
« Reply #4574 on: May 24, 2017, 06:36:40 PM »
So how do we all feel about poor auld Seany Fitz getting away with the Anglo Marlarky?

Offline Banter

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #4575 on: May 24, 2017, 09:49:44 PM »
So how do we all feel about poor auld Seany Fitz getting away with the Anglo Marlarky?
Class

Up the Republic! Best little country to do business in

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #4576 on: May 24, 2017, 10:01:25 PM »
The government will never jail one of their own.
There is no justice in this country vs the banks/government/establishment, etc.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #4577 on: May 24, 2017, 10:04:00 PM »
I wish Leo would talk about improving the wellbeing of the citizens, so that the homeless issues are addressed, the drugs problems cleaned up, education invested in. etc.

Offline Sarge

• Believer
  • Ahh Ha!!
« Reply #4578 on: May 24, 2017, 10:20:15 PM »
Gemma O'Doherty‏ @gemmaod1  2m

Allegations of offshore bank accounts revealed in internal Garda audit of Templemore training college

Offline MBL?

• Believer
« Reply #4579 on: May 24, 2017, 11:43:15 PM »
Going after dole cheats and making a public song and dance about it not populist enough for you?

Leo is another lizard
There is no mention of dole cheats, this guy isn't a Tory or GOP head. From what I can see he wants less of a squeeze on the middle class. 40% in the low 30's is ridiculous and the tax on sole traders is one of the reasons I ended up on the dole in 2008/9.
Just about every person out there who drives bus/truck would be in for them. The pay and conditions are infinitely better.

Actually that's bollocks cause the drivers wouldn't even consider leaving if they knew they couldn't strike when they felt up for a massive pay rise payed by the passengers and tax payer.

Offline MBL?

• Believer
« Reply #4580 on: May 24, 2017, 11:54:28 PM »
If you think I'm bitter towards public sector workers you would be mostly right. But at the same time I don't blame them for taking everything they can because honestly I would as well if the opportunity arose. It's only human.

The thing is, is that what they are paid relative to the private sector and even more so their pensions could do real damage to society.

Not as much as the dodgy bankers have but then two wrongs don't make a right and we have to make the best we can do now.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 11:56:00 PM by MBL? »

Offline Sarge

• Believer
  • Ahh Ha!!
« Reply #4581 on: May 25, 2017, 03:34:42 PM »
If you think I'm bitter towards public sector workers you would be mostly right. But at the same time I don't blame them for taking everything they can because honestly I would as well if the opportunity arose. It's only human.

The thing is, is that what they are paid relative to the private sector and even more so their pensions could do real damage to society.

Not as much as the dodgy bankers have but then two wrongs don't make a right and we have to make the best we can do now.

Vast majority of Pubic/Civil servants are not that well paid.

Online kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #4582 on: Yesterday at 04:22:54 PM »
Just about every person out there who drives bus/truck would be in for them. The pay and conditions are infinitely better.

Actually that's bollocks cause the drivers wouldn't even consider leaving if they knew they couldn't strike when they felt up for a massive pay rise payed by the passengers and tax payer.
Surely those truck/bus drivers would all be off getting those better jobs you mentioned, and we're back to square one? I'd much rather drive a coach for Bus Eireann or something. That's a much handier number than working for Dublin Bus.
I wouldn't want to be a Dublin bus driver if they paid me in bags of gold. It's a hellish job and they have to put up with some awful shite on a daily basis.
Love For Club

Offline MBL?

• Believer
« Reply #4583 on: Yesterday at 07:36:26 PM »
Vast majority of Pubic/Civil servants are not that well paid.
I've seen no evidence of that. I'd love to know if any are earning as low as the living wage.
Surely those truck/bus drivers would all be off getting those better jobs you mentioned, and we're back to square one?
This capitalism thing is mad like that.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 07:38:34 PM by MBL? »

Online kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #4584 on: Today at 12:26:26 PM »
I've seen no evidence of that. I'd love to know if any are earning as low as the living wage.
Why, is that what you think they should be earning? These people are helping run the country and get little thanks for it.
You make it sound like they're just on a money grab, and to compare them to bankers is beyond the pale. Maybe if successive governments hadn't made promises to them that they were unable or unwilling to keep, they wouldn't be so demanding.
We live in a country where c*nts like Seanie Fitzpatrick get a free ride fleecing people for all they're worth, but apparently it's the greedy public sector workers that are the problem. The mind boggles.
Love For Club

Online kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #4585 on: Today at 12:33:49 PM »
This capitalism thing is mad like that.
Society doesn't have to be a race to the bottom. Even a capitalistic one.
Love For Club