Author Topic: Catalan Independence  (Read 9964 times)

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Believer
  • The first five yards........
Re: Catalan Independence
« Reply #400 on: October 19, 2017, 01:16:55 PM »
What has held Puidgemont back? Presumably it was the massive counter-demonstrations in Barcelona and the growing sense that a substantial minority, and possibly a fair majority, of his fellow Catalonians do not want separation from Spain. 
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline MOZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Mala follá
« Reply #401 on: October 19, 2017, 01:43:09 PM »
What has held Puidgemont back? Presumably it was the massive counter-demonstrations in Barcelona and the growing sense that a substantial minority, and possibly a fair majority, of his fellow Catalonians do not want separation from Spain. 

All of that, plus the arrest and imprisonment of independence campaigners Jordi Sanchez (Catalan National Assembly) and Jordi Cuixart (Omnium Cultural) for sedition has probably made him realise that could face prison himself if he continues to flout the law. And the mass exodus of businesses from the region has also caused much alarm amongst the less extreme elements of the coalition and amongst the public at large. 

Offline kevlumley

• Believer
  • Forza Liverpool
« Reply #402 on: October 19, 2017, 06:51:12 PM »
Had no option in the end. Puidgemont refused to confirm (or deny) if there was an official declaration of independence and once again ignored the political process of the state and his own Catalan government. He has also upset the hardline independentistas by failing to stick to his word.

The government also has to do something to stop the flood of businesses re-registering their HQs outside of the region (around 700 at last count including 45 major contributors to the economy). Puidgemont had previously told his supporters that independence would have no negative economic effects and would actually attract more business.

Didn't really understand the last bit about the government has to do something to stop businesses re-registering their HQ's outside of the region. Are we talking about them leaving Spain, that i can understand why the government would be concerned. Or are we talking about leaving Catalunya? That i would think is a good thing for Spain and a terrible thing for Catalunya. Sorry, been following most of what you guys have written and a lot of you are really up on your history. Good reading. I just didn't understand the context here.

Offline MOZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Mala follá
« Reply #403 on: October 19, 2017, 07:39:56 PM »
Didn't really understand the last bit about the government has to do something to stop businesses re-registering their HQ's outside of the region. Are we talking about them leaving Spain, that i can understand why the government would be concerned. Or are we talking about leaving Catalunya? That i would think is a good thing for Spain and a terrible thing for Catalunya. Sorry, been following most of what you guys have written and a lot of you are really up on your history. Good reading. I just didn't understand the context here.

Over 300 businesses (around 40 or 50 major ones) have re-registered outside of Catalunya as a precaution. It is not a good thing for Spain in the larger context as it will destabilise the region further and unbalance the economy. What they are seeking now is a return to stability and normality for the people in the region (and Spain in general) as soon as possible.

Offline Grotbags

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Believer
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #404 on: October 19, 2017, 08:41:55 PM »
Had no option in the end. Puidgemont refused to confirm (or deny) if there was an official declaration of independence and once again ignored the political process of the state and his own Catalan government. He has also upset the hardline independentistas by failing to stick to his word.

The government also has to do something to stop the flood of businesses re-registering their HQs outside of the region (around 700 at last count including 45 major contributors to the economy). Puidgemont had previously told his supporters that independence would have no negative economic effects and would actually attract more business.

Someone said at a UK Parliament shindig that due to the Spanish Government and the violence  they are withdrawing any investment planned into Spain.

How many of those companies have done more than just register a Head Office address out of Catalunya? Assume no jobs have moved as of yet, and considering Catalunya is around 20% of the Spanish GDP, Spain has a lot to lose as well (and yes i know you know...).

On a side note, i said a short while ago that Banco Sabadell can fuck off... i've just pre-booked a visit to Casa Vicens in BCN (Gaudi built) that is reopening after a €5m refurb and for first time ever will be open to the public. Payment goes through Banco Sabadell, fucks sake ;)
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline MOZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Mala follá
« Reply #405 on: October 19, 2017, 09:13:02 PM »
Someone said at a UK Parliament shindig that due to the Spanish Government and the violence  they are withdrawing any investment planned into Spain.

How many of those companies have done more than just register a Head Office address out of Catalunya? Assume no jobs have moved as of yet, and considering Catalunya is around 20% of the Spanish GDP, Spain has a lot to lose as well (and yes i know you know...).

On a side note, i said a short while ago that Banco Sabadell can fuck off... i've just pre-booked a visit to Casa Vicens in BCN (Gaudi built) that is reopening after a €5m refurb and for first time ever will be open to the public. Payment goes through Banco Sabadell, fucks sake ;)

Like the name change!

No job moves have been reported yet, although there was talk of some moving in the case of independence being declared. A few companies hinted at taking staff to Valencia so they would be more familiar with the language/culture etc. than say in Madrid.

Seems to be a mix of precautionary measures to cover themselves and also sending out a message as to what might follow.

Would like to do Casa Vicens when we go up later this year - looks amazing.

Offline Grotbags

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Believer
« Reply #406 on: October 19, 2017, 09:48:08 PM »
Yep, when Casa Vicens came up for sale, i was hoping for a lottery win to have it done up and opened. So glad someone put the money up.

Offline MOZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Mala follá
« Reply #407 on: October 19, 2017, 09:53:28 PM »
Yep, when Casa Vicens came up for sale, i was hoping for a lottery win to have it done up and opened. So glad someone put the money up.

When you going?

Offline Grotbags

• RAWK Staff
  • Believer
« Reply #408 on: October 19, 2017, 10:08:08 PM »
When you going?

8-11 December. Booked in to Casa Vicens on 9th. Was hoping to guided tour but not on weekends and 10am on Monday too cloe to do with mid afternoon flight back to Speke.

Offline kevlumley

• Believer
  • Forza Liverpool
« Reply #409 on: October 19, 2017, 10:27:32 PM »
Thanks Moz

Offline Red Beret

• Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot
  • Believer
« Reply #410 on: Yesterday at 06:55:09 PM »
I'm reading that the Spanish government is going to sack the Catalan government and impose direct rule, at least until a new (more deferential?) administration is elected.

I can't see this ending well.  :-\
Jürgen Klopp does not adapt to English Football.  English Football adapts to Jurgan Klopp.

I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do, I sit.

PROJECT WAKE UP UK

Popcorn's Art

Offline stevensr123

• giggler
  • Believer
« Reply #411 on: Yesterday at 10:02:10 PM »
Wthats the EU and it's leaders doing again? Fucking disgusting situation all around, the silence from certain people, organisations and countries is deafening.
PUSSY cat, PUSSY cat, I love you,  yes I do.......

Online WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman
  • Believer
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #412 on: Today at 01:30:13 PM »
This is what Drumpf has normalised & it will only get worse.

Don't believe your lying eyes.

Spain FM: 'Many police violence pictures fake'
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill