Author Topic: Welcome Christian Benteke  (Read 168947 times)

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Welcome Christian Benteke
« Reply #560 on: July 26, 2015, 11:28:58 am »
Sign for us, we as fans do this thing...i believe they call it giving players SUPPORT. Believe it or not, songs are part of that

What's that strange thing you talk about  ;)

Offline nittinivala

• Anny Roader
« Reply #561 on: July 26, 2015, 11:38:56 am »
Hodgson for England!Even Roy got one and deservedly..

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #562 on: July 26, 2015, 11:47:59 am »
If they get sung constantly at matches depends on their performances, having a bit of fun coming up with new songs isn't determined by that though.

Quoted to ensure it sinks in.
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #563 on: July 26, 2015, 12:02:00 pm »
I like the guile and cool placement which is evident in his finishing. Reminds me more of Fowler than Heskey, which must be a good thing.
Whilst it's only a YT video, dispells any lazy stereotypes about him being slow.

Offline C

• ock. Skinny bastard attempting to give himself a brekkie heart attack. Miserable, Unless we win of course.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #564 on: July 26, 2015, 12:24:26 pm »
Mamadou what is your point exactly? Dont you think support and encouragement may motivate a player to perform and help them settle down quicker?

People still underrate Cristiano Ronaldo.

Offline lindylou100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #565 on: July 26, 2015, 12:30:49 pm »
Mamadou what is your point exactly? Dont you think support and encouragement may motivate a player to perform and help them settle down quicker?

Did any of our new signings from last season get a song?

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #566 on: July 26, 2015, 12:43:01 pm »
Back in 2005 when I joined RAWK we don't discuss about the selection and eligibility of players for songs - we just go crazy make some up regardless of whether they earned it or not as a bit of good fun.

Fast forward to 2015. ::)
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #567 on: July 26, 2015, 12:44:48 pm »
I completely don't buy this supposed theory that Coutinho will suffer with a striker like Benteke. There are loads of creative players all over the world that play well with target men. Number 10's and target men are pretty common and if Coutinho cannot play well with Benteke then that will say just as much about Coutinho and Rodgers' tactics than it does about Benteke.

Of course it is important that Benteke does have good movement but you don't score the amount of goals he has without good movement. He isn't as slow as Lambert, he can move much better than Balotelli and I am convinced he can get us at least 15 league goals if he can start 30 or so matches.

The only issue with him is he can be a confidence player so hopefully we create an environment that can let him flourish. Its one of the worries about the tough start because if we are not careful then things can turn very sour, very quickly.

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #568 on: July 26, 2015, 12:48:27 pm »
I completely don't buy this supposed theory that Coutinho will suffer with a striker like Benteke. There are loads of creative players all over the world that play well with target men. Number 10's and target men are pretty common and if Coutinho cannot play well with Benteke then that will say just as much about Coutinho and Rodgers' tactics than it does about Benteke.

Of course it is important that Benteke does have good movement but you don't score the amount of goals he has without good movement. He isn't as slow as Lambert, he can move much better than Balotelli and I am convinced he can get us at least 15 league goals if he can start 30 or so matches.

The only issue with him is he can be a confidence player so hopefully we create an environment that can let him flourish. Its one of the worries about the tough start because if we are not careful then things can turn very sour, very quickly.

I'm one of the people who believe in that theory. But it isn't completely down to Benteke. As you say the likes of Ozil do not suffer with Giroud. The reason why though is Arsenal have the likes of Walcott or Welbeck making the runs in behind to stretch the defence. We seen last season our midfielders don't do this (bar Sterling who has left).

We'll have to see a lot more of it from the new guys for this to work for Benteke and Coutinho imo

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #569 on: July 26, 2015, 12:50:06 pm »
I can't wait to see him in action, I predict 15-20 league goals which would be a great return IMO.

Offline GregCharrua

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #570 on: July 26, 2015, 12:50:45 pm »
I told you this guy wouldn't fit Brendan's style of play. Been here how long and not a single goal? #BentekeOut #RodgersOut

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #571 on: July 26, 2015, 12:57:23 pm »
I'm one of the people who believe in that theory. But it isn't completely down to Benteke. As you say the likes of Ozil do not suffer with Giroud. The reason why though is Arsenal have the likes of Walcott or Welbeck making the runs in behind to stretch the defence. We seen last season our midfielders don't do this (bar Sterling who has left).

We'll have to see a lot more of it from the new guys for this to work for Benteke and Coutinho imo

We do have options to make this happen. Origi, Markovic, Sturridge and probably to a lesser extent Ibe are all players that can make those runs. Its about fitting in the players that makes the system work.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #572 on: July 26, 2015, 01:02:11 pm »
I think he will be brilliant and I am excited about prospect of him terrorsing defenders

I like those bully type number 9s and he knows this league inside out by now. Even when he is not scoring he will be causing a nuisance.

I'll put cards on table and say 25+ in all comps if he remains injury free

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #573 on: July 26, 2015, 01:15:34 pm »
We do have options to make this happen. Origi, Markovic, Sturridge and probably to a lesser extent Ibe are all players that can make those runs. Its about fitting in the players that makes the system work.

Firmino is the big one for me, he could develop a great partnership with Benteke given he likes to get beyond the striker and also provide a lot of cut backs.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #574 on: July 26, 2015, 01:32:02 pm »
Firmino is the big one for me, he could develop a great partnership with Benteke given he likes to get beyond the striker and also provide a lot of cut backs.

Thats another one then. The most important thing is that the players who start need to be the ones capable of scoring goals. So Benteke, Firmino and Sturridge, when all are fit, need to start. If you want to get into that front 3 then step up and score the goals. No fannying about with clever turns or keeping it simple or pointless dribbling. Which is why we will see whether Lallana, Ibe, Origi, Ings and Markovic really have it.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #575 on: July 26, 2015, 01:49:30 pm »
Did any of our new signings from last season get a song?

Balotelli did, Moreno did for a short time (La Bamba but it never took off), Emre Can has one
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline SquirrelandGman

• 24 Hour Party People Plastic Face Carnt Smile (White Out)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Shagging a sheep somewhere.
« Reply #576 on: July 26, 2015, 01:54:57 pm »
Sturridge still hasn't got a proper song.And he's done more than Balo  and moreno combined. Fans are fickle and have their favourites for no good reason sometimes.

Online Lucas DuoFlush

• Legacy Fan
  • Bring Poulsy back!
« Reply #577 on: July 26, 2015, 02:06:43 pm »
benteke benteke he's got a big neckay
"Bos non modo animal, sed etiam mater" Lordanem Henderson

Offline iVapor

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #578 on: July 26, 2015, 02:08:30 pm »
Funny how many times in these pre-seasons that we've cut the ball across goal and just needed someone who should be there.

Benteke, number 9.

Offline LFC UNTIL THE MANAGER IS NO LONGER DESERVING OF MY SYMPATHY

• Everyone's shit. Especially me...Yeah! LFC for Life. He takes everything up to date and on the chin.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #579 on: July 26, 2015, 02:11:57 pm »
Funny how many times in these pre-seasons that we've cut the ball across goal and just needed someone who should be there.

Happened time and time again last season as well.

I just hope he's not the only one in the box when we do play.  It is essential Firmino supports him or Milner gets in the box as well.  I can't see Coutinho or Henderson doing it much.
@LFC4LIFENET

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #580 on: July 26, 2015, 02:24:38 pm »
He scored the a header for me earlier on Fifa against my nephew ( I made him be Stoke), so no need to worry people, he will be fine.

Firminho scored a Roberto Carlos esq worldie for the winner so all good there as well ;)

Offline HighSix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #581 on: July 26, 2015, 02:33:48 pm »

The season before certainly looked a struggle breaking down teams without the pace of Alexis, Walcott & Welbeck. Feel Markovic could be important as the other AMs lack the attributes he brings.

Offline iVapor

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #582 on: July 26, 2015, 02:39:14 pm »
Happened time and time again last season as well.

I just hope he's not the only one in the box when we do play.  It is essential Firmino supports him or Milner gets in the box as well.  I can't see Coutinho or Henderson doing it much.

Yeah, my biggest worry with 433 is that the striker can get really isolated. Firmino looks like a player who will always be around the striker though

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #583 on: July 26, 2015, 04:05:06 pm »
Not arsed about songs, but Sky superimposing the Owls picture on the managers banner was bang out of order.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline DyingAtheist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #584 on: July 26, 2015, 04:27:34 pm »
Didn't Kolo get a song instantly? We all fucking loved Kolo.

Anywho! To discuss Benteke, since, that's kind of why we're here - there's certainly been a lot of play in pre-season that needs a striker like Benteke on the end of it. And I just stuck Ł20 on him to be Top Scorer next season (with that Ł2 free bet thingy per goal) so... you know... he better do well or he'll be getting a twitter request for Ł300. :D

Offline HardworkDedication

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #585 on: July 26, 2015, 10:01:00 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/QmoIXLd60q0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/QmoIXLd60q0</a>

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #586 on: July 26, 2015, 10:17:00 pm »
I started a new FIFA career and signed all of our new players. Won all 19 games so far, Sturridge has had a miraculous recovery, scoring 22 goals, with Ings, I appear to be attempting to use a nickname for a potential signing that indicates I have no place in civilised society. I would suggest that you ignore the rest of my post, it is probably rubbish. Benteke and Firminho not far behind.
There you go see, nothing to worry about this season at all ;)

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #587 on: July 26, 2015, 10:21:52 pm »
Not arsed about songs, but Sky superimposing the Owls picture on the managers banner was bang out of order.

WTF?
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #588 on: July 26, 2015, 11:16:15 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/QmoIXLd60q0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/QmoIXLd60q0</a>

FUCK IT I'M EXCTED.

LETS GOOO CHRISTIANOOO!! HOP HEYYY HOP HEYYYYYYYY
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline Motty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #589 on: July 26, 2015, 11:22:32 pm »
A whole range of goals from him there.

I'm with Zoomers, can't wait to see him in action now.

Offline The Infamous_LFC

• Doubting Thommo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #590 on: July 27, 2015, 12:00:15 am »
Scored against us a few times with some great goals and scored a few against other top teams in particular arsenal and man utd. different type of goals and he looks like he is comfortable to shoot with both feet. really excited about big ben now

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Tight-fisted and unimaginative moany wannabe feedback tourist. More Michael O'Leary than Dermot...but will also give out noshes.
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Motty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #594 on: July 27, 2015, 01:46:33 am »
If you take out the pens it's not easy guessing his favored shooting foot going by that video. Looks very comfortable with both feet, which is a really good thing for a goal scorer.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #595 on: July 27, 2015, 10:42:48 am »

Majority from crosses is a bit worrying. Some nice finishes.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline ThePoolMan

• Not quite the Pool Man, more like the ESL Man
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #596 on: July 27, 2015, 10:45:29 am »

Accurate cut backs are the key - from the videos a lot of Benteke's goals are scored from either crosses or cutbacks.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #597 on: July 27, 2015, 11:57:52 am »
Cut backs and crosses are important parts of Football. City scored loads from cut backs. If what we are saying is that its all about scoring individual brilliance goals and through balls then quite frankly, the rest of the attackers need changing. Loads of attackers play with targetmen across Europe.

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #598 on: July 27, 2015, 12:26:33 pm »
Majority from crosses is a bit worrying. Some nice finishes.
http://basstunedtored.com/2015/07/22/the-truth-about-benteke-and-crosses/
The Belgian striker has been assisted for twenty-eight league goals in his time with the Villans, and of those eight have been from crosses (though not including corners; we’ll cover those in a later section). This means that 29% of his strikes have required a ball in from wide areas.

In the Premier League over the same period, there have been 627 goals created via crosses, from a total of 2,042 net-bulgers that have been assisted; 31% in percentage terms, so a slightly higher proportion than Benteke.

If I had infinite time, I could see how the proportion of chances created from crosses to Benteke compares to league average, but it seems reasonable to say that the Belgian is no more reliant on crosses for goals than your average top flight team is at least.

He may also make more use of them than, say, Daniel Sturridge does (though in fairness the two players joint-topped the 2013/14 headed goal table, alongside Wilfried Bony), and Benteke is also in the top five in the league for receiving crosses, but there’s little to suggest he’s overly reliant on crosses to score goals in open play. People inevitably recall the most recent season most clearly, and as four of his nine assisted goals (44%) came from crosses that perhaps colours the collective thinking, but over a longer period the percentage is much lower.
Article also points out that even though we barely cross the ball as a percentage of passes, we actually create more chances from crosses than Villa.

Not say the style question isn't a worry, but I think Benteke will be fine without tons of crosses.

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #599 on: July 27, 2015, 01:25:24 pm »
He will be fine... he is more then capable of scoring when we counter, from outside the box, from corners, from set pieces. As Killer says, if the only way we are ever going to score is by threading through balls, then quite frankly, we won't score much in this league, because we will become very predictable.