Author Topic: Liverpool in talks with Steven Gerrard over return to Anfield  (Read 193733 times)

Offline Michel

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Steven Gerrard
« Reply #280 on: September 14, 2015, 11:33:21 am »
Always puzzles me how a man who served our club for more than 20 years and won every major trophy with us is given less clout by some than a manager who was here for 5.

I'm sure Rafa will have plenty to say himself once he does a biography at the end of his career.

Gerrard is being honest, what's the problem. If he has existing relationships with all of his ex managers but not Rafa what's wrong with saying it? Also, there are fucking plenty of people who don't blindly follow Rafa who believe he made a big mistake losing Alonso.

I'm a rafa fan by the way and haven't got a bad word to say about him but I don't see how Stevie's been particularly disrespectful.

Astonished that Steven Gerrard is being called pathetic on a Liverpool forum.
:wellin

Offline QC

• rawks Lionel Hutz, ambulance chaser.Sucks up to the wrong type of Mod.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #281 on: September 14, 2015, 11:35:55 am »
I don't get why Gerrard is writing another book.

It's not as if he's struggling for money.

Because it's interesting and he has stories to tell; just because they conflict with some people's fairy tale view of LFC where everyone loves each other shouldn't stop him.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #282 on: September 14, 2015, 11:40:41 am »
Because it's interesting and he has stories to tell; just because they conflict with some people's fairy tale view of LFC where everyone loves each other shouldn't stop him.
Who wrote it?

It reads like a trashy gossip magazine.

Offline QC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #283 on: September 14, 2015, 11:41:51 am »
Who wrote it?

It reads like a trashy gossip magazine.

Presumably a ghostwriter. He's a footballer not James Joyce.

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #284 on: September 14, 2015, 11:44:04 am »
Just when you were questioning how mickey mouse we actually are, Stevie lets us know.

Funny read for opposition fans.
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #285 on: September 14, 2015, 11:44:09 am »

Eamonn Dunphy isn't James Joyce and did a good job with Keane's book.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #286 on: September 14, 2015, 11:44:40 am »

Why does he have a book out if he's a footballer?
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline QC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #287 on: September 14, 2015, 11:49:05 am »
Why does he have a book out if he's a footballer?

Because there's demand for it.

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #288 on: September 14, 2015, 11:51:07 am »
Reason why I dont buy/read books on footballers anymore. Trashy sensationalism ... Completely unnecessary and not that you are short of money
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #289 on: September 14, 2015, 11:55:16 am »
Because there's demand for it.

But he's a footballer, not a writer. Whatever he puts his name to, he's responsible for and you're right by the way, that shouldn't stop him from bringing out and autobiography and giving his opinion on things. But then not everyone will agree with or like what he says or thinks he's right in saying it. If he didn't want that, then he shouldn't be bringing out an autobiography. I'm sure he knows that though.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline LFC UNTIL THE MANAGER IS NO LONGER DESERVING OF MY SYMPATHY

• Everyone's shit. Especially me...Yeah! LFC for Life. He takes everything up to date and on the chin.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #290 on: September 14, 2015, 11:56:52 am »
Missing his passing already this season.

@LFC4LIFENET

Offline HighSix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #291 on: September 14, 2015, 12:00:53 pm »
Agree with him or not I don't really see any sensationalism just his feelings & version of events. Its interesting to see players side of the 'Facts' press conference & a look in side our shit transfer operation under Rodgers.

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #292 on: September 14, 2015, 12:07:51 pm »
Agree with him or not I don't really see any sensationalism just his feelings & version of events. Its interesting to see players side of the 'Facts' press conference & a look in side our shit transfer operation under Rodgers.
There's perhaps sensationalism in the way The Mail are serialising the book, plenty of attention grabbing headlines, but you're correct, it's just Gerrard's opinion on things, opinions he's certainly entitled to air.

Nobody is forcing anyone to read his book and the Mail is always best avoided.  Some people seemingly look for ways to be wound up though.  It's easy enough to ignore.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #293 on: September 14, 2015, 12:19:18 pm »
There's perhaps sensationalism in the way The Mail are serialising the book, plenty of attention grabbing headlines, but you're correct, it's just Gerrard's opinion on things, opinions he's certainly entitled to air.

Nobody is forcing anyone to read his book and the Mail is always best avoided.  Some people seemingly look for ways to be wound up though.  It's easy enough to ignore.

Nail, meet head.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #294 on: September 14, 2015, 12:32:34 pm »
Missing his passing already this season.

Think you are in the wrong thread mate. If your not gonna bash Gerrard and praise Rafa then get the hell out of here.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #295 on: September 14, 2015, 12:57:59 pm »
'In my last season, Brendan Rodgers came to me at Melwood one day in mid-August. We had a chat on the training pitch. He said, ‘You know we’ve missed out on a couple of signings. I’m basically left with no option but to have a bit of a gamble.’

Brendan paused before he spoke again: ‘The gamble is Mario Balotelli.’ My instant reaction was, ‘Uh-oh.’

:D

No idea how Gerrard can claim what Rafa did wasn't "the Liverpool way" then publicly reveal all of this stuff
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline HighSix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #296 on: September 14, 2015, 01:05:18 pm »
'In my last season, Brendan Rodgers came to me at Melwood one day in mid-August. We had a chat on the training pitch. He said, ‘You know we’ve missed out on a couple of signings. I’m basically left with no option but to have a bit of a gamble.’

Brendan paused before he spoke again: ‘The gamble is Mario Balotelli.’ My instant reaction was, ‘Uh-oh.’

:D

That is crazy when you consider the Balotelli transfer was widely reported as agreed by August 21st let alone whenever talks began! It was not a deadlineday deal by any means.

Offline E2K

• A seriously talented
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #297 on: September 14, 2015, 01:20:47 pm »
Part of me really hopes that Steven Gerrard decides against going into management. Two biographies is surely enough for one lifetime.
Twitter: @e2klassic
Blog: theredstar.home.blog

Online Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #298 on: September 14, 2015, 01:30:35 pm »
Think there was a discussion last season on whether Balotelli was a committee signing or not?

It seems like it was Rodger's call then.

Allardyce knows a few people on our committee and said it was Rodgers's signing: he wanted a target man and thought he could get something out of Mario.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #299 on: September 14, 2015, 01:48:09 pm »
No idea how Gerrard can claim what Rafa did wasn't "the Liverpool way" then publicly reveal all of this stuff

Exactly, and he can get fucked criticising Rafa about speaking out on the cancers, just a shame he didn't have the bollox to do it himself.

Offline chanti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #300 on: September 14, 2015, 02:11:10 pm »
Slate opposing team players not your team mates. 

Wtf.

Offline RedRush

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #301 on: September 14, 2015, 02:14:21 pm »
Always puzzles me how a man who served our club for more than 20 years and won every major trophy with us is given less clout by some than a manager who was here for 5.

I'm sure Rafa will have plenty to say himself once he does a biography at the end of his career.

Gerrard is being honest, what's the problem. If he has existing relationships with all of his ex managers but not Rafa what's wrong with saying it? Also, there are fucking plenty of people who don't blindly follow Rafa who believe he made a big mistake losing Alonso.

I'm a rafa fan by the way and haven't got a bad word to say about him but I don't see how Stevie's been particularly disrespectful.

Astonished that Steven Gerrard is being called pathetic on a Liverpool forum.

Think he or Carra would have been given more respect if either spoke out against the cancers. Rafa did.

It isn't always about winning things. Plus the cringeworthy things he said about Curbishley, Hodgson and the English Messi, and many more.

Most of what he said about Rafa's okay by me, except for the cringing over the 'fact' presser when Rafa obviously did it to shield Gerrard from his pending court case (except that he was just to thick to realize it). Just explaining why some fans would love Rafa more.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 02:15:57 pm by RedRush »

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #302 on: September 14, 2015, 02:34:18 pm »
Hanging dirty linnen out to dry by bashing current and former managers is certainly not the Liverpool way.

Offline Scribble8

• Bad WUM. Nu hållar sin käft, jävla wumjävel......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #303 on: September 14, 2015, 03:32:29 pm »
It doesn't come as a surprise that Gerrard dislikes Rafa. Both have huge egos and that rarley goes well together. (And some strange substitutions, and playing him all over the place)..

However it's some pretty classless comments.

But I guess he gotta come up with some solid stories to sell his fucking book.

FOOTBALLERS STOP WRITING BIOS WHILE YOUR STILL ACTIVE. And this is his second one... I guess he does love money!

Anyway, Gerrard is a hero to me and I love Rafa. Please, be friends, lol...
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 03:34:17 pm by Scribble8 »

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #304 on: September 14, 2015, 03:34:44 pm »
Rodgers had Gerrard contact Liverpool targets
http://www.football365.com/news/rodgers-had-gerrard-contact-liverpool-targets

Most of that makes horrific reading, consonantly going through that cycle of trying to get Gerrard to persuade top stars to join the club. Here's an idea, how about actually offering the contracts required to entice these fellas?
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #305 on: September 14, 2015, 03:37:45 pm »
Most of that makes horrific reading, consonantly going through that cycle of trying to get Gerrard to persuade top stars to join the club. Here's an idea, how about actually offering the contracts required to entice these fellas?

Honestly it makes sense, he's the biggest thing that could draw players to Liverpool. Not the manager, not the style of play, not the owners, no Champions League football. Only Gerrard.

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #306 on: September 14, 2015, 04:02:14 pm »
Honestly it makes sense, he's the biggest thing that could draw players to Liverpool. Not the manager, not the style of play, not the owners, no Champions League football. Only Gerrard.

Oh I know that but ultimately it would never have made a difference unless we were also offering them a better financial package than teams from the Champions League.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline Redders1974

• Anny Roader
« Reply #307 on: September 14, 2015, 04:04:58 pm »
I recall when Torres told the story of when we approached him to play for us. Rafa called him directly, Torres didn't believe it at first.. The name and stature of Rafa alone was enough to pull top class players in. Not quite the same for our current manager unfortunately...
Chose the Redders username before Jamie became a Sky Sports media whore

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #308 on: September 14, 2015, 04:08:35 pm »
Oh I know that but ultimately it would never have made a difference unless we were also offering them a better financial package than teams from the Champions League.

Got to get them interested in the product first, it's like those commercials where they say "how much would pay for this?! Wait there's more if you order now..."

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #309 on: September 14, 2015, 04:26:34 pm »
I recall when Torres told the story of when we approached him to play for us. Rafa called him directly, Torres didn't believe it at first.. The name and stature of Rafa alone was enough to pull top class players in. Not quite the same for our current manager unfortunately...

Oh how much I miss the old days...
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #310 on: September 14, 2015, 04:56:05 pm »
Don't agree with him but Stevie is entitled to his opinion

Online DangerScouse

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #311 on: September 14, 2015, 05:22:30 pm »
Don't agree with him but Stevie is entitled to his opinion

He is indeed but publicising these stories and opinions shouldn't mean he's exempt from criticism regardless of how well he served us on the pitch. Not the wisest move for someone who has aspirations of managing the club in the future.

Offline thisyearisouryear

• Need a dose of Hopium
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #312 on: September 14, 2015, 06:02:42 pm »
Never thought I would see Steven Gerrard getting slated on a Liverpool forum.
Personally, don't think there is much wrong in what he is saying, apart from may be being a tad bit too honest.

Regarding Rafa, I don't think he is being disrespectful at all. He has stated unequivocally that Rafa is the best manager he has played with and praised his coaching abilities. What he is commenting on is the personal side of his relationship with Rafa, which wasn't very warm. Big deal. So Rafa was cold, professional and effective - not a news this.

Rafa was right in whatever he did and Gerrard is right in having his opinion. To be fair, at least the frank honesty gives an insight into things we have only speculated about so far.

The writing sure is quite cheesy.  :butt

Offline thisyearisouryear

• Need a dose of Hopium
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #313 on: September 14, 2015, 06:04:17 pm »
He is indeed but publicising these stories and opinions shouldn't mean he's exempt from criticism regardless of how well he served us on the pitch. Not the wisest move for someone who has aspirations of managing the club in the future.

This is actually a good point.

Offline Resilientz

• Anny Roader
« Reply #314 on: September 14, 2015, 06:14:29 pm »
Horrifying to read that our strategy for attracting bigger names was reliant on Steven Gerrard's ability to butter up said player by texting. Actually wish I hadn't read that or that he had kept that to himself. Utterly mortifying to be frank.

Online Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #315 on: September 14, 2015, 06:20:57 pm »
Horrifying to read that our strategy for attracting bigger names was reliant on Steven Gerrard's ability to butter up said player by texting. Actually wish I hadn't read that or that he had kept that to himself. Utterly mortifying to be frank.

I laughed.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline trimore

• Legacy Fan
  • Dastardly and Muttley with sick laughter
« Reply #316 on: September 14, 2015, 06:45:07 pm »

Neither Gerrard nor Rafa were perfect people, who at times hurt the club, but as a whole both were huge net positives for the club in their own ways and I love them both.

Even Messi gets criticized by Barca fans and in the real and practical world of football, he's as good as it gets for helping a football club win. 
Go off to sleep in the sunshine, I don't want to see the day when it's dying

Online DangerScouse

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #317 on: September 14, 2015, 07:47:28 pm »

Offline Cattive Maniere

• Legacy Fan
  • Mentalita Ultras
    • bettingtips365
« Reply #318 on: September 14, 2015, 08:08:50 pm »
Just when you were questioning how mickey mouse we actually are, Stevie lets us know.

Funny read for opposition fans.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #319 on: September 14, 2015, 10:08:10 pm »
I agree. I don't agree with Gerrard as I've already said and the texting potential signings nothing short of embarrassing.

Conflicting opinions from Steven. Should just enjoy his time in the States to be honest.