Author Topic: Liverpool in talks with Steven Gerrard over return to Anfield  (Read 193885 times)

Offline Halcyon Lissome

• Scallion Homeys, Miscellany Shoo or Nicholas Mosely?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • “We murdered them 0-0.”
Re: Steven Gerrard
« Reply #560 on: October 14, 2015, 04:41:09 pm »
I honestly think most of the book stuff is simply the ghostwriter making it more interesting. There's probably truth in that Gerrard and Rafa weren't best buddies; but in interviews or whenever he is speaking in person it's a different tune. He's said several times that Rafa was the manager that got the best out of him.
★              ★              ★              ★              ★
The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

Offline Klopp-A-Delphia

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Numquam Solum Ambulabis
« Reply #561 on: October 14, 2015, 05:46:47 pm »
Gerrard signs off on it. If he doesn't then it makes me cringe even harder as he doesn't know what his own autobiography says.

The fact is for us fans Rafa is the man that got the best from Gerrard, but for Gerrard that doesn't seem like it's enough. He wanted Rafa to be his fucking dad as well or something. It's very strange.

I don't know. It could be that Rafa got the best from Gerrard, or it could be that Gerrard was simply a world class player playing in his prime in his late 20s, and it doesn't matter who really was coaching him. Who knows, maybe Gerrard could have been even better with a different coach?
Please follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/connorpatrick   or @ConnorPatrick

The magic is in the melody.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #562 on: October 14, 2015, 07:19:23 pm »
I don't know. It could be that Rafa got the best from Gerrard, or it could be that Gerrard was simply a world class player playing in his prime in his late 20s, and it doesn't matter who really was coaching him. Who knows, maybe Gerrard could have been even better with a different coach?

Like Hodgson, whom Gerrard rated highly?
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #563 on: October 14, 2015, 09:25:51 pm »
I'm not sure that was ever true regarding Gerrard. You don't be man of the match at right back in a Champions League final if you don't have any positional sense. His problem was that he wanted to do it all. For most of his career he had the energy to do it. He almost wanted to chase the ball down and win it with a sliding tackle, then whip in a cross and then get on the end of his own cross! That sometimes meant that he'd look like a headless chicken but I think it's doing him a disservice to say he couldn't read the game.

Gerrard at his best never had any positional sense because it was off the cuff. Look at those 6 minutes in Istanbul or the West Ham final. He was everywhere. It'd have been shackling him too much to tell him to hold position for 90 minutes when he could do everything on the pitch.

Problem was once his legs went and he needed to just hold position he was lost in that deep midfield position in terms of off the ball or just keeping it simple and ticking over (his long range passing skills were great). He struggled without that ability to get up and down the pitch all game, whereas a player like Scholes adapted fine into his late 30s.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Halcyon Lissome

• Scallion Homeys, Miscellany Shoo or Nicholas Mosely?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • “We murdered them 0-0.”
« Reply #564 on: October 14, 2015, 09:48:27 pm »
Gerrard signs off on it. If he doesn't then it makes me cringe even harder as he doesn't know what his own autobiography says.

The fact is for us fans Rafa is the man that got the best from Gerrard, but for Gerrard that doesn't seem like it's enough. He wanted Rafa to be his fucking dad as well or something. It's very strange.

In these autobiographies they take a germ of an idea or feeling and expand. It's not that it's untrue, but exaggerated for effect. When you read it, it doesn't really sound like Gerrard speaking to you does it? I guess that's the trade-off for the money.

If you asked him, he'd stand by the book; I just don't think the extent or intensity of some of those statements are that accurate. They'd come out in other interviews or interactions if so. And I've probably seen 90% of all his interviews, especially in the last 10 years, and he's never sounded that bitter about Rafa. Confused at his ways, maybe even annoyed, but that's about it.

Like Hodgson, whom Gerrard rated highly?

He should probably caveat that with "world class coach" lol. I think Gerrard with any manager of Rafa's level or above (Pep, Mourinho, Ancelloti, etc) would have been as good if not better.

He's the only player I've ever seen basically play every position in midfield to a player of the year standard.
★              ★              ★              ★              ★
The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #565 on: October 14, 2015, 10:16:51 pm »
In these autobiographies they take a germ of an idea or feeling and expand. It's not that it's untrue, but exaggerated for effect. When you read it, it doesn't really sound like Gerrard speaking to you does it? I guess that's the trade-off for the money.

If you asked him, he'd stand by the book; I just don't think the extent or intensity of some of those statements are that accurate. They'd come out in other interviews or interactions if so. And I've probably seen 90% of all his interviews, especially in the last 10 years, and he's never sounded that bitter about Rafa. Confused at his ways, maybe even annoyed, but that's about it.

I think what annoys most people, me included, is that if he hasn't said it himself then he's certainly okayed it. And if he's okayed it, there must be a semblance of it being his own thoughts and feelings.

Which is fine. If he didn't think Rafa was the best coach he played under, no probs. He played under Ged. I would blame him at all if that was his feelings. BUT. With Stevie I think we all think of Stevie as one of us. And yet in this book he 'says' things which fly in the face of that. Slagging off Rafa for going against the owners, slagging off Rafa for 'the rant', playing down some of the decisions Rafa made, bigging up Hodgson, arse licking Mourinho. Considering what Rafa did for this club, and what Rafa lost for going to war for this club, you'd think a lifelong red would value that above all else. And in fact, it seems the opposite. He doesn't even mention it. It's bizarre. In my opinion it strikes me as a bit of jealousy that Rafa is still so highly regarded. Nothing else makes sense. I mean he slags off Rafa going against the hard shoulder shitter and in the same book brushes off the fact he was asked to randomly text Toni Kroos asking him if he'd join. It's all so very strange.

He should probably caveat that with "world class coach" lol. I think Gerrard with any manager of Rafa's level or above (Pep, Mourinho, Ancelloti, etc) would have been as good if not better.

He's the only player I've ever seen basically play every position in midfield to a player of the year standard.

Which of course, is utter guesswork. I think most people would agree Fabio Capello was a top class coach. How did he get along with getting the best out of Stevie during his prime?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline dirkster

• Legacy Fan
  • Dirk Kuyt. Working Class hero
« Reply #566 on: October 14, 2015, 10:17:09 pm »

He also did a bloody good job at right back in the champions league final too

Offline andspecks

• avers would probably help my analysis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #567 on: October 14, 2015, 11:46:24 pm »
I think what annoys most people, me included, is that if he hasn't said it himself then he's certainly okayed it. And if he's okayed it, there must be a semblance of it being his own thoughts and feelings.

Which is fine. If he didn't think Rafa was the best coach he played under, no probs. He played under Ged. I would blame him at all if that was his feelings. BUT. With Stevie I think we all think of Stevie as one of us. And yet in this book he 'says' things which fly in the face of that. Slagging off Rafa for going against the owners, slagging off Rafa for 'the rant', playing down some of the decisions Rafa made, bigging up Hodgson, arse licking Mourinho. Considering what Rafa did for this club, and what Rafa lost for going to war for this club, you'd think a lifelong red would value that above all else. And in fact, it seems the opposite. He doesn't even mention it. It's bizarre. In my opinion it strikes me as a bit of jealousy that Rafa is still so highly regarded. Nothing else makes sense. I mean he slags off Rafa going against the hard shoulder shitter and in the same book brushes off the fact he was asked to randomly text Toni Kroos asking him if he'd join. It's all so very strange.

Which of course, is utter guesswork. I think most people would agree Fabio Capello was a top class coach. How did he get along with getting the best out of Stevie during his prime?
He does think this though. He says this. A few times. His warmness towards Hodgson is always on a personal level. Don't think he's ever gone out of his way to praise Hodgson as a manager, the impression I've always got is more the "great guy" type message. Stevie says in his book that Rafa got the best out of him. There's no doubt in who he believes is the better manager.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #568 on: October 15, 2015, 10:06:10 am »
He does think this though. He says this. A few times. His warmness towards Hodgson is always on a personal level. Don't think he's ever gone out of his way to praise Hodgson as a manager, the impression I've always got is more the "great guy" type message. Stevie says in his book that Rafa got the best out of him. There's no doubt in who he believes is the better manager.

When did he say that? I remember him saying that he wishes he'd been managed by Brendan Rodgers a decade earlier, which just happened to coincide with Rafa joining. Which sort of suggests that maybe he didn't view him as the best coach he'd played under.... Which again, would be fine. But it's the seemingly constant belittling in this book compared to other coaches who have been nothing but negative about our club.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #569 on: October 15, 2015, 10:43:00 am »
If Gerrard believed Roy Hodgson was a good man but not the right manager for Liverpool he could have said so, yes?
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #570 on: October 15, 2015, 01:09:28 pm »

He was gutted when Hodgson got sacked.

Offline LFC_Verve

• Kopite
« Reply #571 on: October 15, 2015, 10:35:23 pm »
Were Gerrard and Jamie the ones that FSG consulted when Benitez was interested in coming back after Kenny left?

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #572 on: October 15, 2015, 11:34:58 pm »
Were Gerrard and Jamie the ones that FSG consulted when Benitez was interested in coming back after Kenny left?

Ayre blackballed Rafa
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #573 on: October 16, 2015, 01:01:56 am »
Are sad c*nts still having a whinge about gerrard haha bloody hell. 

Offline Les Willis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #574 on: October 16, 2015, 01:09:54 am »
This sort of thing is what I never really get on Rawk.. It's like: One of my heroes cant be my hero anymore because he dissed my other hero in a book. Boo hoo.
Some people take it all far too seriously. Just accept that Gerrard might not have rated Rafa as highly as some of you collectively do.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #575 on: October 16, 2015, 01:13:01 am »
This sort of thing is what I never really get on Rawk.. It's like: One of my heroes cant be my hero anymore because he dissed my other hero in a book. Boo hoo.
Some people take it all far too seriously. Just accept that Gerrard might not have rated Rafa as highly as some of you collectively do.

There's not rating him as highly, and there's putting into the public domain the idea that you considered Rafa might have been behind the "Rodgers out" banner flying over anfield
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Les Willis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #576 on: October 16, 2015, 01:16:50 am »
There's not rating him as highly, and there's putting into the public domain the idea that you considered Rafa might have been behind the "Rodgers out" banner flying over anfield
So what if he did say that? It's just his opinion. Everyone has one.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #577 on: October 16, 2015, 01:19:44 am »

When people put their opinions in public it's fair game to discuss and criticise it. It's small time from Gerrard and it's sad to see that he's so childish

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #578 on: October 16, 2015, 01:23:34 am »
He is not everyone. He is Steven Gerrard - what he says matters. If it's your opinion, I don't think anyone cares.
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline Les Willis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #579 on: October 16, 2015, 01:23:41 am »
I appreciate that people need to take sides for some reason.

Personally, I like both Benitez and Gerrard. What either of them say about each other won't change my opinion on either of them.

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #580 on: October 16, 2015, 02:33:11 am »

People can't be judged on their opinions? Excellent! In that case, I'd like to say that women should not be allowed to vote, and should stay at home 24 hours a day to raise kids, because that is all they're good for. Vote BNP! Or EDL! Or whoever!

Offline Les Willis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #581 on: October 16, 2015, 02:49:58 am »
People can't be judged on their opinions? Excellent! In that case, I'd like to say that women should not be allowed to vote, and should stay at home 24 hours a day to raise kids, because that is all they're good for. Vote BNP! Or EDL! Or whoever!
Bit of an extreme example, almost invoking Godwin there. However, I don't expect anyone to change their minds. I was just airing my own view (as this is a discussion forum).

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #582 on: October 16, 2015, 05:56:33 am »
Well the plane banner was sponsored by Liverpool season ticket holders so Gerrard is wrong about it being from Rafael Benitez.

In any event, Rodgers also name dropped Benitez in the press conference, but he didn't get as much shit as Gerrard is getting now for it.

In the excerpt, he also mentions it was a spur of the moment thought, so..
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline _00_deathscar

• Has a quite operational deflecsor shield.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
    • The Suite Life by Chinmoy Lad
« Reply #583 on: October 16, 2015, 08:55:31 am »
Well the plane banner was sponsored by Liverpool season ticket holders so Gerrard is wrong about it being from Rafael Benitez.

In any event, Rodgers also name dropped Benitez in the press conference, but he didn't get as much shit as Gerrard is getting now for it.

In the excerpt, he also mentions it was a spur of the moment thought, so..

It's incredibly disrespectful.

Again, it says a lot more about Steven Gerrard than it does about Rafa Benitez.

And once again, I keep seeing "so who cares if Gerrard and Benitez didn't see eye to eye" - no one gives a cock if the two didn't see eye to eye. It's the accusations like this, and the insinuation that he was "not following the Liverpool way" by taking on Alex Ferguson, Manchester United, and two cancers who were destroying our club that really make you question how in touch with reality Steven actually is.
All things luxury travel. Be inspired for your next trip: https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #584 on: October 16, 2015, 09:55:45 am »
Are sad c*nts still having a whinge about gerrard haha bloody hell.

Are sad c*nts still popping into the Steven Gerrard thread and whinging about people talking about Steven Gerrard?

Offline Caffeine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #585 on: October 16, 2015, 12:55:10 pm »
I had to stop reading the book. In depth descriptions about who joined the celebration huddle when after a Sturridge goal against Villa I can do without.

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #586 on: October 16, 2015, 02:24:19 pm »
For me, Steven Gerrard is no different from a coddled child.  Yes, he's a playing legend, hero of Istanbul, won the FA Cup with a bit of magic, Olympiakos, beacon of dignified suffering in the face of Hillsboro, too many positive and endearing memories to list.....but some of his histrionics, verbal or physical, are embarrassing from a grown man.  This autobio, his second before age 35 (haven't we all?), is hot trash and emblematic of a man completely out of touch with the rank and file LFC support.  Not that he needs to fall in line with supporters or anything, I simply feel he's revealed himself to be a selfish egoist.  The fact he really, really genuinely likes John Terry and Jose Mourinho says it all for me.

Legend? Yes.  Pampered?  By all accounts, check!  Bit of a thick headed nitwit?  Errrrrrrrrr

Now, play the Phil Collins, and let loose the dogs of WAR!!!!!!!

Personally I'll always revere Steven Gerrard, Liverpool's #8......and will be cringing anytime his name pops up in the news from here on out.  You just know 10-20-30 years down the line he'll be the old jowled FA guy dropping dumbshit quotes left and right "Get back in the kitchen lass"  "These foreign players don't know how to get to stuck in" or some such. 

(please don't hate me RAWK.  Love and hugs)
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #587 on: October 16, 2015, 03:07:32 pm »
So he's a jingoistic Englishman who doesn't give foreigners the credit they deserve, yet also desperately wanted to work with Mourinho (and is clearly in love with Xabi)?
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #588 on: October 16, 2015, 04:22:02 pm »
So he's a jingoistic Englishman who doesn't give foreigners the credit they deserve, yet also desperately wanted to work with Mourinho (and is clearly in love with Xabi)?

I'm from the States and would definitely identify Stevie more with our coddled athletes than anyone else, certainly wasn't trying to label him a jingoistic Englishman.  Stevie just seems so insulated by constant fawning that he can't reasonably be expected to notice how tone deaf he is. 

Malcolm Gladwell a couple years ago pointed out the oddity of thought process that led to a commericial plane full of passengers, which might be made up of doctors, teachers, etc.......normal citizens........being told to wait so that Ray Lewis, linebacker in the NFL, can board a plane in grand procession.  Gladwell's point was how could that kind of constant attention and elevation above mere mortals NOT affect Ray Lewis' thought process and his understanding of his station in life.

Certainly wasn't taking a dig at the English people or the media's portrayal of their media-spawned xenophobia.  Was just making the point that this sort of coddled privilege is often what leads to head-up-the-ass comments such as we routinely see from the English FA, the French FA, any freaking FA, UEFA, FIFA, VW.....the examples are endless.  I've gone way off topic here.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 04:25:30 pm by mallin9 »
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #589 on: October 16, 2015, 04:25:21 pm »
Are sad c*nts still popping into the Steven Gerrard thread and whinging about people talking about Steven Gerrard?

So lets' talk about him then and not just slag him off. Which some came on here to do when the Rafa thing came out and are still going on about when it's a difference of opinion.

How's he doing at LA Galaxy?

Offline lorenzo23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #590 on: October 16, 2015, 05:55:42 pm »
I would assume that is why people are having there opinion on his comments now? Pretty equal.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 05:57:45 pm by lorenzo23 »
Liverpool manager Rafael Benítez admitted after the match that the manner of his side's victory had stunned him and he stated: "My problem is that I don't have words to express the things that I feel at this moment"

Offline Les Willis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #591 on: October 16, 2015, 05:59:11 pm »
I would assume that is why people are having there opinion on his comments now? Pretty equal.
I don't see it as a big deal. Others obviously do. I just find it a bit ludicrous that adults get upset about this sort of thing. But that's just me.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #592 on: October 17, 2015, 09:48:04 am »
It's incredibly disrespectful.

Again, it says a lot more about Steven Gerrard than it does about Rafa Benitez.

And once again, I keep seeing "so who cares if Gerrard and Benitez didn't see eye to eye" - no one gives a cock if the two didn't see eye to eye. It's the accusations like this, and the insinuation that he was "not following the Liverpool way" by taking on Alex Ferguson, Manchester United, and two cancers who were destroying our club that really make you question how in touch with reality Steven actually is.

What pisses me off is Rafa got the Liverpool Way perfectly, yet Gerrard has a hard on for Mourinho who is as far away from the supposed Liverpool Way as you can get.

Still don't understand why Gerrard stayed silent during the Gillett and Hicks era while even the likes of Reina spoke up.

Not that i'd have a problem with Mourinho at Liverpool because if there's one thing TLW is about it's about winning. It's also about standing up for the club and the supporters. It's not a shithouse charter.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 09:53:50 am by Bitter Mug »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #593 on: October 17, 2015, 01:14:22 pm »
Not that i'd have a problem with Mourinho at Liverpool because if there's one thing TLW is about it's about winning. It's also about standing up for the club and the supporters.

OK so Mourinho has won a lot, but he fails miserably on the "standing up for the club and supporters" front.

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #594 on: October 18, 2015, 11:02:19 am »
I wonder what Gerrard thinks about the latest developments. He regularly said that he wished he played under Brendan Rodgers when he was ten years younger, because he thought he would have won a lot more. Personally I don`t think that would have been the case, but still. I`m not sure Klopp would automatically bring Gerrard back as a part of the back room staff. Maybe it would be too much focus on the person and not the football. The media would perhaps make it into a power struggle, even if it was true or not.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 11:03:55 am by Raaphael »

Offline Loo Pan

• Lower Cooker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Heavy Metal Football
« Reply #595 on: October 18, 2015, 01:56:03 pm »
I wonder what Gerrard thinks about the latest developments.

"Exciting time to be a red...Best wishes Mr Klopp. YNWA."

He regularly said that he wished he played under Brendan Rodgers when he was ten years younger, because he thought he would have won a lot more. Personally I don`t think that would have been the case

A lot of people, maybe even all of us, over estimated Brendan's ability after we finished second.

Offline Leosheer

• Main Stander
  • This is Anfield
« Reply #596 on: October 20, 2015, 02:15:59 pm »
What pisses me off is Rafa got the Liverpool Way perfectly, yet Gerrard has a hard on for Mourinho who is as far away from the supposed Liverpool Way as you can get.

Is it really that hard to believe? Gerrard wanted to win the league with Liverpool. Had Mourinho been our manager we almost certainly would have done so. And before anyone starts to shout at me for being disloyal to Rafa I want to say that I think Rafa is a very very good manager but his record simply does not stack up to Mourinho's. If Rafa does great things at Madrid I'll change my view but as things stand he is one rung below Mourinho, Ancelotti and Guardiola.

Still don't understand why Gerrard stayed silent during the Gillett and Hicks era while even the likes of Reina spoke up.

He explains it in the book. He thought it was not his place directly to challenge his employer. You and I may disagree with the position he and Carra took but theirs was not an unreasonable viewpoint. The fact that Reina acted differently doesn't change things - some people are more comfortable challenging authority than others. More importantly it would not have made a jot of difference - let's be really clear about this : it was not Rafa's actions that saved the club. It was RBS wanting to get its money back during the worst financial crisis since the 1930s and the yanks not being able to refinance.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #597 on: October 20, 2015, 02:50:49 pm »
I don't really see any evidence that we would have won the league with Mourinho. Call me when he wins a title with a team overachieving and expected to finish 3rd-5th, rather than walking into the best team in a country and blowing others out the water with massive resources

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #598 on: October 20, 2015, 03:16:12 pm »
I don't really see any evidence that we would have won the league with Mourinho. Call me when he wins a title with a team overachieving and expected to finish 3rd-5th, rather than walking into the best team in a country and blowing others out the water with massive resources

That's because there is none. In fact any evidence we have points to the other direction.

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #599 on: October 20, 2015, 03:21:53 pm »
I had a flick through the book in WHSmith the other day. I still have no idea what the point behind it was; the whole thing's just bizarre. He's a bit dim so his opinions aren't really of much interest (even on the slip) and yet it's not exactly written well either - it was clearly done in a bit of a rush and even on a quick flick through, there's places it doesn't capture his voice at all. All that's left is a book that seems to have no purpose, not massively well written and a host of opinions either already expressed in previous books or that are nonsensical and more or less contradictory (like the criticism of Rafa for supposedly not following the Liverpool way, despite the cringeworthy praise of Mourinho).
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob