Author Topic: Liverpool in talks with Steven Gerrard over return to Anfield  (Read 193738 times)

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Steven Gerrard
« Reply #520 on: September 29, 2015, 04:34:33 pm »
Gerrard wanted to win the league, Mourinho won the league everywhere he went, Gerrard thought Mourinho at Liverpool would mean Gerrard was more likely to win the league.  Seems straightforward enough to me.

Mourinho wouldn't have won the league with our resources IMO
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #521 on: September 30, 2015, 05:21:09 pm »
Mourinho wouldn't have won the league with our resources IMO

Porto = most money in Portugal.
Chelsea first time around = massively outspent everyone else in England
Inter Milan = at that time the only club in Italy spending money with Juventus still recovering. They'd won the previous few titles
Real Madrid = most expensive squad ever assembled
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #522 on: October 2, 2015, 05:08:59 pm »
Bought his autobiography today, should be a good read!

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #523 on: October 3, 2015, 03:20:04 pm »
To break the doom and gloom in here, the new Alder Hey children's hospital is now open or opening any day now and Gerrard donated £500,000 to the hospital a couple of years ago. 

Here's what his money helped create. http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/step-inside-garden-alder-hey-10176806

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #524 on: October 3, 2015, 08:22:58 pm »
To break the doom and gloom in here, the new Alder Hey children's hospital is now open or opening any day now and Gerrard donated £500,000 to the hospital a couple of years ago. 

Here's what his money helped create. http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/step-inside-garden-alder-hey-10176806

Nice touch, that. Whatever he says, however vehemently many (including myself) disagree with that, his legacy is simply set in stone, for what he does for the club and city and the football memories he's given us.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #525 on: October 3, 2015, 08:54:44 pm »

That's superb

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #526 on: October 6, 2015, 04:30:26 pm »
So I'm reading this book, first few pages... has anyone commented on the style? It's as though it's being written by process of tourettes. Is the style meant to be some kind of family guy flashback?
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #527 on: October 6, 2015, 04:40:39 pm »

Thanks for posting this.

I reckon I'll give his book a miss - I prefer my memories of SG to be unsullied by his feet of clay - he is/was a superb footballer and I'll always admire him for that.

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #528 on: October 7, 2015, 02:33:27 am »
Heard he sent Sakho some nice words when he captained the side in the EL.

Good to hear.

Offline LFC_Verve

• Kopite
« Reply #529 on: October 9, 2015, 06:17:52 pm »
Why does he hate Rafa so much,

In his book he writes 'Some joker had even buzzed Anfield in a low-flying plane with a banner which said 'Rodgers out, Rafa in'. I wasn't impressed - and, in my dark mood, I briefly wondered if Rafa had put someone up to the stunt.'

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #530 on: October 9, 2015, 06:24:05 pm »

In his book he writes 'Some joker had even buzzed Anfield in a low-flying plane with a banner which said 'Rodgers out, Rafa in'. I wasn't impressed - and, in my dark mood, I briefly wondered if Rafa had put someone up to the stunt.'

I hate to say it, but maybe Gerrard did love being Mr. Liverpool so much. Hence why he does like Hodgson a lot as he enabled that. Rafa was a big personality at the club and probably made sure he was top dog.

This is why I'm doing my best to ignore all this book stuff as I want to remember Stevie G the player, not Stevie G the person.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #531 on: October 9, 2015, 06:25:32 pm »

Wtf?!

Offline LFC_Verve

• Kopite
« Reply #532 on: October 9, 2015, 06:29:03 pm »
The book is not bad and, of course, I love Steven as a player. But he makes so many digs at Rafa whilst almost worshiping Mourinho. Very poor, imo.
« Last Edit: October 9, 2015, 06:35:43 pm by LFC_Verve »

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #533 on: October 9, 2015, 06:33:00 pm »
Wtf?!
Ste is certainly a paranoid fella

Offline lindylou100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #534 on: October 9, 2015, 06:34:49 pm »
He was a great player but It's like he lives in is own personal bubble, Rafa was more in tune with the fans than he is by the looks of it. Seriously he should stay out in the MLS until reality seeps in and he realises it's not all about him.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #535 on: October 9, 2015, 06:40:22 pm »
Ste is certainly a paranoid fella

But to even consider that shows a level of contempt for Rafa I didn't know existed for Stevie.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #536 on: October 9, 2015, 06:44:07 pm »
But to even consider that shows a level of contempt for Rafa I didn't know existed for Stevie.

It's no surprise to me.

It's the manifestation of a mind twisted by the dark side. Steven Gerrardwalker ;D

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #537 on: October 9, 2015, 06:47:22 pm »
It's no surprise to me.

It's the manifestation of a mind twisted by the dark side. Steven Gerrardwalker ;D

;D

Bit of a shock for me really. Sad to see.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #538 on: October 9, 2015, 06:57:14 pm »
stevengerrard
Exciting time to be a red .. Best wishes Mr Klopp . YNWA

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #539 on: October 9, 2015, 09:35:17 pm »

Fantastic gesture, done loads for the City and his old school etc. Some of the flak he's received on this site lately has been embarrassing, just cos he didn't see eye to eye with Bentitez.

The best player ever to wear a red shirt in my opinion and thankfully in the real world still admired for all he did for us.

Stevie G badges/scarves etc still amongst the top sellers apparently, says it all.

Jan Molby reckons reckons Anfield legend Gerrard should return to the club ASAP under Klopp in any capacity.Along with Carra he rightly says losing Gerrard has been a massive blow to the club and it's a 'no brainier' to bring them both back.

May not happen now, but can't wait for the day it does...love Stevie G..fact ;)

« Last Edit: October 9, 2015, 11:01:27 pm by mikeb58 »
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #540 on: October 10, 2015, 12:49:35 am »

That's a really small time comment that, sorry but it is. I expect so much better from Gerrard. Comes across as incredibly bitter.

I don't think Carragher was ever as madly in love with Rafa either, but he always shows class and respect when he mentions him. Like in his article tonight: "When I played under Benitez I didn't agree with everything he said but I believed a lot more of it because it seemed wrong to question him when he had a proven track record, winning titles with Valencia - an amazing feat in a league boasting Real Madrid and Barcelona."

Gerrard just seems to be personal about it every time Rafa is mentioned. I really dread the day when he gets a full time job on Sky/BT

« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 12:56:09 am by Crosby Wych »
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #541 on: October 10, 2015, 08:41:23 am »
That's a really small time comment that, sorry but it is. I expect so much better from Gerrard. Comes across as incredibly bitter.

I don't think Carragher was ever as madly in love with Rafa either, but he always shows class and respect when he mentions him. Like in his article tonight: "When I played under Benitez I didn't agree with everything he said but I believed a lot more of it because it seemed wrong to question him when he had a proven track record, winning titles with Valencia - an amazing feat in a league boasting Real Madrid and Barcelona."

Gerrard just seems to be personal about it every time Rafa is mentioned. I really dread the day when he gets a full time job on Sky/BT

It's a bit weird to be honest, considering he played his best ever football under Benitez.

Offline Loo Pan

• Lower Cooker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Heavy Metal Football
« Reply #542 on: October 10, 2015, 08:55:27 am »
Rightly or wrongly, Gerrard seems to have spent the entire time he worked with Benitez believing that he wasn't liked on a personal level.

Rafa has obviously denied that this is the case, and maybe it is just Stevie's own insecurity and paranoia at work.

But obviously it would colour his perception of Benitez, and affect his relationship with him. Nobody feels particularly warm towards someone who they believe doesn't like them.

Hopefully, after Rafa's comments on the matter, Gerrard realises his mistake and his perceptions will change.

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #543 on: October 10, 2015, 12:18:07 pm »
He acts like a spoiled child, not more, not less. Hopefully after he finished his career this will change and he won't end up like Keane stuck in the past.

In contrast, Carra comes across very good recentely, probably it's a matter of intelligence.
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #544 on: October 10, 2015, 01:14:01 pm »

As great a player as he was I think he's just a bit thick. That's an unbelievably stupid comment about a man who respected Liverpool's traditions to a fault.

And what's with the Mourinho worship?
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #545 on: October 10, 2015, 01:24:45 pm »
Rightly or wrongly, Gerrard seems to have spent the entire time he worked with Benitez believing that he wasn't liked on a personal level.

Rafa has obviously denied that this is the case, and maybe it is just Stevie's own insecurity and paranoia at work.

But obviously it would colour his perception of Benitez, and affect his relationship with him. Nobody feels particularly warm towards someone who they believe doesn't like them.

Hopefully, after Rafa's comments on the matter, Gerrard realises his mistake and his perceptions will change.
Some people just want constant affirmation...it doesn't make them bad or unintelligent ( not that you said that ). They just want a pat on the back after every positive thing. He likely got that as a youth player and from Houllier/Sven/McLaren/Roy/Brendan/ There is a reason why those people are looked on, for the most part, favourably. And the likes of Rafa and Capello, less so.

There is that theory that most great players don't make great coaches and this might be part of the reason. Of course there are outliers but...

Offline chanti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #546 on: October 10, 2015, 01:38:51 pm »
Hope he does not become part of the coaching setup soon.
He will writing another book
Revealing all Klopp secrets
No thanks. ...

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #547 on: October 10, 2015, 03:25:51 pm »
No thanks. ...
Wonder if he's texted Klopp yet, or will he be waiting for Klopp to finish the book and decide for himself.
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline eddiedingle

• Kopite
« Reply #548 on: October 10, 2015, 04:45:29 pm »

jesus how dim is he?!

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #549 on: October 10, 2015, 11:05:08 pm »
No thanks. ...

Don't be silly.

It's a book. Get over it.

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #550 on: October 10, 2015, 11:45:33 pm »
He didn't get along with Rafa, big whoop, don't care about it much. But I've read posts from proper Reds here like shanklyboy, Fat Scouser that absolutely love the man, and I will always take their word over anything Stevie has to say on how Rafa should be remembered. What I don't get is the absolute disconnect he has with the fanbase over the Jose lovefest or the revisionism of Hodgson... that's beyond my comprehension... fucking hell...

Offline Mr Kipling

• Manhattanite
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Dream of Kloppifornication"
« Reply #551 on: October 10, 2015, 11:48:33 pm »
Gerrard lives in his own little world.

Hope he stays there and keeps to himself from now on. Best for all parties.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #552 on: October 11, 2015, 08:16:23 am »
Fantastic gesture, done loads for the City and his old school etc. Some of the flak he's received on this site lately has been embarrassing, just cos he didn't see eye to eye with Bentitez.

The best player ever to wear a red shirt in my opinion and thankfully in the real world still admired for all he did for us.

Stevie G badges/scarves etc still amongst the top sellers apparently, says it all.

Jan Molby reckons reckons Anfield legend Gerrard should return to the club ASAP under Klopp in any capacity.Along with Carra he rightly says losing Gerrard has been a massive blow to the club and it's a 'no brainier' to bring them both back.

May not happen now, but can't wait for the day it does...love Stevie G..fact ;)

That's not why he's been getting stick though

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At this particular moment in time
« Reply #553 on: October 11, 2015, 08:21:52 am »

Err, possibly slightly tongue-in-cheek ?
'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'

Offline Lemieux

• Kopite
« Reply #554 on: October 11, 2015, 12:37:59 pm »
 Yeah I don't understand the clamor for him to come back in a coaching role considering all the random silly things he says with club related issues.    The whole book thing is just weird.

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #555 on: October 11, 2015, 03:09:12 pm »
I don't get the clamour either.  Gerrard is often slated for his positional reading of the game.  How can a person who doesn't know where he should be on the pitch expect to give good advice to others?
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #556 on: October 11, 2015, 04:53:52 pm »
I don't get the clamour either.  Gerrard is often slated for his positional reading of the game.  How can a person who doesn't know where he should be on the pitch expect to give good advice to others?

I'm not sure that was ever true regarding Gerrard. You don't be man of the match at right back in a Champions League final if you don't have any positional sense. His problem was that he wanted to do it all. For most of his career he had the energy to do it. He almost wanted to chase the ball down and win it with a sliding tackle, then whip in a cross and then get on the end of his own cross! That sometimes meant that he'd look like a headless chicken but I think it's doing him a disservice to say he couldn't read the game.

Offline 10 years on

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #557 on: October 11, 2015, 04:55:59 pm »
Slated by who mancs?

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #558 on: October 11, 2015, 05:21:56 pm »
Let's not re-write history just because of this. Questioning the footballing intelligence of someone who played at an elite level in about six different positions, is flawed.
Yeah, Stevie was such a doofus that he didn't know where to be on the pitch yet was still one of the greatest players of his generation....yeah, makes sense.

Terrible players have made good coaches...great ones have made bad coaches and everything in between.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 05:23:38 pm by b_joseph »

Offline Caffeine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #559 on: October 14, 2015, 03:52:48 pm »
So I'm reading this book, first few pages... has anyone commented on the style? It's as though it's being written by process of tourettes. Is the style meant to be some kind of family guy flashback?

Thanks. I'm glad it's not just me. Jumps all over the place very haphazardly.

Also the style is mind-numbing: "Alex had made salmon, peas and potatoes. My favourite meal".