Author Topic: The Attack  (Read 397563 times)

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
Re: The Attack
« Reply #4360 on: March 23, 2015, 04:07:37 pm »
They'll follow the money, Lacazette sounds like he may end up at Real or Arsenal, but I can easily see us offering Vietto or similar enough to come here

Vietto has a £14m release fee

Again, if it is a choice of two teams and one of those teams is in the CL they will chose the team in the CL. They may well happen to the players currently in our squad, never mind players who are going to make their next big move.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4361 on: March 23, 2015, 04:08:00 pm »
It just means we have to work harder to bring these players along rather than buying the finished article. The likes of Markovic will be a year older, used to the country and may kick on in the next campaign.

We will be better next year. That first half of the season was a disgrace and we have to make sure it doesnt happen again.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4362 on: March 23, 2015, 04:08:29 pm »
Again, if it is a choice of two teams and one of those teams is in the CL they will chose the team in the CL. They may well happen to the players currently in our squad, never mind players who are going to make their next big move.

Who are these players that are too good for us then?

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4363 on: March 23, 2015, 04:09:28 pm »

I think United showed last season that many players care far more about ££££ than they do CL football or playing at the top level. It just so happens in most cases the CL team offers more money
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline QC

• rawks Lionel Hutz, ambulance chaser.Sucks up to the wrong type of Mod.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4364 on: March 23, 2015, 04:10:13 pm »

No one in our squad is ready for a big money move.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4365 on: March 23, 2015, 04:10:30 pm »
We will be better next year. That first half of the season was a disgrace and we have to make sure it doesnt happen again.

The lose of Sturridge and Suarez was huge. Hopefully now we have a solid defensive base and there wont be so much transition with regards to the squad. I can lost of the squad who contribute next to nothing being moved on (no loss there) and a maximum of 4 players being brought in so you have a tight core of players and very little upheaval.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4366 on: March 23, 2015, 04:12:32 pm »
No one in our squad is ready for a big money move.

I can 100% see City throwing money at Henderson and Sterling, a) because of their age b) premiership experience and c) their pressing need for English players.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4367 on: March 23, 2015, 04:13:10 pm »
I can 100% see City throwing money at Henderson and Sterling, a) because of their age b) premiership experience and c) their pressing need for English players.

We can be better without those 2 as well. They aint all that.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4368 on: March 23, 2015, 04:13:59 pm »
We can be better without those 2 as well. They aint all that.

If you say so.

Offline Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4369 on: March 23, 2015, 04:15:30 pm »
They'll follow the money, Lacazette sounds like he may end up at Real or Arsenal, but I can easily see us offering Vietto or similar enough to come here

Vietto has a £14m release fee

Seen a lot of reports that Madrid are in for him. As spiderneil says, at the end of the day when it comes down to it players will go to CL teams above non-CL teams 95% of the time, and when they don't it's because teams are prepared to pay SILLY wages.

If you want a sought after player like Vietto or Lacazette (who will both be courted by some of the biggest teams in Europe) then you need to have CL to compete for those players even at the most basic level. Even then there are no guarantees.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4370 on: March 23, 2015, 04:15:31 pm »
If you say so.

I do say so. Henderson was utter shite yesterday and Sterling lacked any intensity or effort. These are not Suarez level players they are levels below. If they think they can do better (Sterling maybe, Henderson no chance) then let them go.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4371 on: March 23, 2015, 04:17:15 pm »
I do say so. Henderson was utter shite yesterday and Sterling lacked any intensity or effort. These are not Suarez level players they are levels below. If they think they can do better (Sterling maybe, Henderson no chance) then let them go.

It is one game. Sterling is being played out of position, and Henderson spent too much time working back and not enough getting forwards but that was going to Manu than a lack of effort.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4372 on: March 23, 2015, 04:18:15 pm »
It is one game. Sterling is being played out of position, and Henderson spent too much time working back and not enough getting forwards but that was going to Manu than a lack of effort.

Lack of effort maybe but definitely a lack of ability. Henderson did what he normally does when pressed, give the ball away and not have the ability to control.

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #4373 on: March 23, 2015, 04:18:23 pm »
City still has to be aware of FFP.

If Sterling and Henderson went to City that`s unacceptable.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4374 on: March 23, 2015, 04:19:09 pm »
Seen a lot of reports that Madrid are in for him. As spiderneil says, at the end of the day when it comes down to it players will go to CL teams above non-CL teams 95% of the time, and when they don't it's because teams are prepared to pay SILLY wages.

If you want a sought after player like Vietto or Lacazette (who will both be courted by some of the biggest teams in Europe) then you need to have CL to compete for those players even at the most basic level. Even then there are no guarantees.

Yep. If we have no CL it is going to be about buying potential (again) and working with the players we already have. For instance I can see Ilori coming in from the cold to provide centre back cover.

Offline Haggis36

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4375 on: March 23, 2015, 04:19:14 pm »

Good idea. Lets start next season without our three top scorers and hope that Sturridge stays fit and scores 50 goals and whoever we buy in scores a bucketload too. I mean the four attacking players we bought in the summer have scored 9 league goals between them so it's definitely as simple as just buying in promising attacking players and hoping they hit the ground running.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4376 on: March 23, 2015, 04:20:40 pm »
Good idea. Lets start next season without our three top scorers and hope that Sturridge stays fit and scores 50 goals and whoever we buy in scores a bucketload too. I mean the four attacking players we bought in the summer have scored 9 league goals between them so it's definitely as simple as just buying in promising attacking players and hoping they hit the ground running.

Its about signing the right players. Its not like these 2 are super difficult to replace. Like i said, they aint Suarez.

Offline QC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4377 on: March 23, 2015, 04:22:06 pm »

Hendo won't go. City won't pay whatever price we demand for Sterling. His quality atm wouldn't justify the price. Or at least that's what i hope we'd be doing in Sterling's case.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4378 on: March 23, 2015, 04:22:43 pm »
Its about signing the right players. Its not like these 2 are super difficult to replace. Like i said, they aint Suarez.

Sterling has been the main striker for most of the season. He should be expected to chip in not carry. He is way too young for those expectations, but I guess if you are going to ask for 150K those expectations are warranted.

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #4379 on: March 23, 2015, 04:23:08 pm »

That would be madness, what ever you think about Hendo and Sterling we still need a squad of players.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4380 on: March 23, 2015, 04:24:02 pm »
Sterling has been the main striker for most of the season. He should be expected to chip in not carry. He is way too young for those expectations, but I guess if you are going to ask for 150K those expectations are warranted.

Well if he was worth 150k then he would score a lot more.

Offline Haggis36

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4381 on: March 23, 2015, 04:25:21 pm »

Who is? Suarez is the third best player in the world, not many teams have a player of his quality.

Clever business is about upgrading with the "right players" - you buy a top class CM and if he performs well (bearing in mind there are no guarantees on how a player will perform in a new country, new league, new team, new formation, etc) then he ousts the current CM and you have achieved brilliant depth.

You don't sell off players (particularly ones who's goals are the only reason we're not languishing truly midtable right now) in the hopes that their replacements will perform to a similar standard, nevermind a better one.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4382 on: March 23, 2015, 04:25:34 pm »
We brought in 9 players. That is way too many players to smoothly integrate. I expect no more than 4 players in the summer and next season as many as 9 players who are already on the books to start most games. Next season can't be about transition again, that is what this season was.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4383 on: March 23, 2015, 04:26:33 pm »
Who is? Suarez is the third best player in the world, not many teams have a player of his quality.

Clever business is about upgrading with the "right players" - you buy a top class CM and if he performs well (bearing in mind there are no guarantees on how a player will perform in a new country, new league, new team, new formation, etc) then he ousts the current CM and you have achieved brilliant depth.

You don't sell off players (particularly ones who's goals are the only reason we're not languishing truly midtable right now) in the hopes that their replacements will perform to a similar standard, nevermind a better one.

If they dont sign then you have to sell but point is these particular players are not irreplaceable

Offline Haggis36

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4384 on: March 23, 2015, 04:27:47 pm »
If they dont sign then you have to sell but point is these particular players are not irreplaceable

They're far from as easily replaceable as you make out though.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4385 on: March 23, 2015, 04:28:58 pm »

Guess its all about opinions. Irreplaceable players are the likes of Mascherano, Suarez and Alonso. These 2 are not in the same league.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4386 on: March 23, 2015, 04:34:31 pm »

They both have the potential to be key players for us but right now, and this is more relevant to Sterling than Henderson in my opinion, they can very easily be replaced. I'd go as far to say I wouldn't have Sterling in the team at the moment, he needs to clear his head and focus on finding his form. It's a massive shame, he's 20 years old but he looks so fed up and desire-less. He should be the keenest player on the pitch. Someone needs to have a word with him.

Anyway, like I was saying, I think he's currently replaceable. We might miss out on his best years but we've still got Ibe, Ojo and Sinclair ready to burst on the scene.

It's nice having good English players though.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4387 on: March 23, 2015, 04:35:21 pm »

Attack
I would be looking to bring in Origi and buying the best forward we can lay our hands on.
Securing Sterling long term.
That's; Sturridge, New forward, Origi and Sterling.

Midfield
I would be looking to bring in the best CM and AM we can lay our hands on.
Securing Henderson long term and retaining the services of Lucas.
CM - Lucas, Allen, Henderson, New CM, Can.
AM - Sterling, Coutinho, Lallana, Markovic, New attacking midfielder

Wingback
I would be looking in bring in the best winger/wingback we can lay our hands on
WB - Ibe, Moreno, Flanno, new wingback, Markovic, Manquillo

Defence
I would be looking to bring back our kids from loan.

So four signings to support and challenge the players already here.
I'd also be looking to offload as many players who contribute little or aren't suited and use the additional funds from saved wages to secure the likes of Henderson and Sterling and to secure top talents because a premium will have to be paid if we aren't in the CL.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 04:42:11 pm by spider-neil »

Offline Mamadou

• & Ariam. Reads RAWK in strip clubs, but does not post.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4388 on: March 23, 2015, 04:36:14 pm »
If our striker shopping list was Balotelli, Lambert, Origi and Remy with Champions League, then I'm not sure I have much faith in our ability to land a top class forward without it. Certainly players like Lacazette, Vietto, etc are well beyond our reach (and price range I'd imagine).

could be blessing in disguise...we got our best transfers (Suarez, Sturridge, Coutinho, Sakho) without CL football :D

" Throw me to the wolves and I will return leading the pack"

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4389 on: March 23, 2015, 04:37:00 pm »
Attack
I would be looking to bring in Origi and buying the best forward we can lay our hands on.

Midfield
AM - Sterling, Lallana, Markovic, New attacking midfielder

Coutinho? With him in mind do we need a new AM?

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4390 on: March 23, 2015, 04:40:29 pm »

I would not want to see either leave.   You may have noticed we are not a top draw for players these days.  We find it very hard to get the best. However even if we could offer whatever it is that top players want, who would u sign to replace Sterling.  Raheem Sterling, one of the best young players in Europe.  Raheem Sterling, someone who Luis Suarez would actually pass to?  Btw ill let u go Hollywood/unrealistic on the suggestions?

As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4391 on: March 23, 2015, 04:41:45 pm »
Coutinho? With him in mind do we need a new AM?

Opps! Forgot Coutinho. ;)

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4392 on: March 23, 2015, 04:42:11 pm »
Ings, Origi, Sturridge, Sterling (if he's here): our forward options for next year. Without CL, we can forget about Vietto, Dybala, Lacazette, etc.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4393 on: March 23, 2015, 04:43:44 pm »
Ings, Origi, Sturridge, Sterling (if he's here): our forward options for next year. Without CL, we can forget about Vietto, Dybala, Lacazette, etc.

I don't think we'll get Ings. I think we'll set our sights higher. Although we may have to lower them again if we are knocked back enough times.

Offline QC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4394 on: March 23, 2015, 04:44:51 pm »
I don't think we'll get Ings. I think we'll set our sights higher. Although we may have to lower them again if we are knocked back enough times.

Inevitable.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4395 on: March 23, 2015, 04:47:33 pm »
Inevitable.

So fucking depressing. Mario not clicking is a massive disappointment on so many levels because if he had kicked on we could have simply brought in Origi and an attacking midfielder and that would have been enough.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4396 on: March 23, 2015, 04:48:50 pm »
We need a cm not an attacking midfielder

Offline Haggis36

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4397 on: March 23, 2015, 04:50:29 pm »
Attack

Midfield
AM - Sterling, Lallana, Markovic, New attacking midfielder

Wingback
I would be looking in bring in the best winger/wingback we can lay our hands on
WB - Ibe, Moreno, Flanno, new wingback, Markovic, Manquillo

Defence
I would be looking to bring back our kids from loan.

So four signings to support and challenge the players already here.
I'd also be looking to offload as many players who contribute little or aren't suited and use the additional funds from saved wages to secure the likes of Henderson and Sterling and to secure top talents because a premium will have to be paid if we aren't in the CL.

I think for me the most important aspect has to be bringing in one or two goalscorers, what position that is in doesn't really matter as much

Of all the retained players above only 2 are good for ~10 goals a year and one of them spends a third (or more) of his time injured. Coutinho, Markovic, Origi, Lallana - these are our other attacking players and none of them are regular or consistent goal threats. We need another player or two at the high end of scoring rates - a 1-in-4 or 1-in-3 player.

Aside from that I think recruitment depends on formation to a degree and on what outgoings there are. Four additions to support the current crop might be alright but with Balotelli, Borini, Lambert, Lucas, Manquillo and Johnson all looking various levels of likely to leave, then I think turnover might be a bit higher than would be ideal for the second year in a row.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4398 on: March 23, 2015, 04:51:51 pm »
We need a cm not an attacking midfielder

We need both. I guess Brendan could take his chances that Lallana and Markovic kick on. I don't see not moving for an attacking midfielder this summer.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4399 on: March 23, 2015, 04:53:53 pm »
We need both. I guess Brendan could take his chances that Lallana and Markovic kick on. I don't see not moving for an attacking midfielder this summer.

Why wouldnt we expect them not to kick on? It was Markovic's first season and Lallana spent lots of it injured. We also have Ibe as he is not primarily just a wing back.

Its like fantasy football stuff having 2 players for every position. These players have shown promise so they deserve another season at least.