Author Topic: The Attack  (Read 398321 times)

Offline d.king037

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Attack
« Reply #4280 on: March 20, 2015, 06:32:59 pm »
Snip

Ahh okay. I was well aware of those kind of stats and thought it was something more complicated based on more contextual information too. Thank you!

I do however think that a lot of those statistics can be used to support the notion of value of a player far too much. Most statistics remove context from the equation, as well as hard to measure things like off the ball work rate and movements. As important as what a player can do with the ball is what a player does when he doesn't have it and these are the things that its hard for stats to reveal.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a uni student and I was in an academy for a while so do value the use of statistics, but feel that sometimes too much value can be placed on them, but that's why we pay scouts and not anybody with access to whoscored or other stat websites!

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4281 on: March 22, 2015, 10:27:37 am »
Stats are just stats, part of good analysis of them is putting them into context.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4282 on: March 22, 2015, 03:33:08 pm »
Ive been thinking about this ever since Sturridge returned and I mentioned this a week or so ago.  But ever since hes' returned and we're playing this 3-4-3 I don't think it brings the best out of him.  Like today he'll always get you a goal out of nothing because he's a class player but this formation I don't think helps him. He need's better/more support.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4283 on: March 22, 2015, 03:43:16 pm »
Ive been thinking about this ever since Sturridge returned and I mentioned this a week or so ago.  But ever since hes' returned and we're playing this 3-4-3 I don't think it brings the best out of him.  Like today he'll always get you a goal out of nothing because he's a class player but this formation I don't think helps him. He need's better/more support.

I've been thinking this myself, it isolates him far too much and you can tell he's getting pissed off chasing lost causes and closing defenders down on his own. I've never been a fan of one central striker anyway always feel you need two together to support each other.

Offline Magix

• Partial to Tarts
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just 5 points away
« Reply #4284 on: March 22, 2015, 03:43:21 pm »

Feel the same. Maybe Sterling upfront with him? Coutinho behind and Lallana at wingback or as an option from the bench.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #4285 on: March 22, 2015, 03:50:23 pm »
We need to talk about Sterling.

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #4286 on: March 22, 2015, 03:54:04 pm »
We play with one striker, who isn't amazing at heading a ball. We play with two wide players, Sterling who cannot cross, and Moreno who can, but either has been told to not get forward too much, or doesn't have the confidence to. We have lots of players who press well, and are good in tight corners, but not enough who have composure.
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline QC

• rawks Lionel Hutz, ambulance chaser.Sucks up to the wrong type of Mod.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4287 on: March 22, 2015, 03:54:22 pm »

Yes, namely why do we push him to the wing just to accommodate Lallana.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4288 on: March 22, 2015, 03:55:11 pm »
Coutinho needs support. One-man attack at the moment.

Offline Loo Pan

• Lower Cooker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Heavy Metal Football
« Reply #4289 on: March 22, 2015, 03:55:47 pm »
Yes, namely why do we push him to the wing just to accommodate Lallana.

I don't think it's just about that. It's because of the lack of threat our other available wide players are bringing from that position. And this system really needs genuine threats out wide.

If Ibe had been available today, there's a good chance Lallana wouldn't have started.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4290 on: March 22, 2015, 03:57:57 pm »

20 years old and out of position, hard to expect consistent top class, even if his discussed wages may deserve it
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4291 on: March 22, 2015, 04:02:11 pm »
Maybe we shouldn't be expecting a 21 year old to perform at his best when he's being moved around in positions that aren't his own, including LB where he finished today.

He's not in good form at the moment but it's hard for him to be considering what roles he's being asked to play.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #4292 on: March 22, 2015, 04:02:29 pm »
He's not a good wing back, and he seems to hate it too.

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #4293 on: March 22, 2015, 04:06:23 pm »
Coutinho, Lallana, Sterling and Sturridge do not posses anywhere near enough goal threat, nowhere fucking near. You can only rely on 25 yard screamers for so long but if you're not regularly creating chances inside the penalty area, you will eventually come unstuck. Yet again it comes back to selling our best player and goalscorer, without having a suitable list of replacements. Sanchez? No, Remy? no...erm. Absolute amateur hour and as I said in the half time thread, am I being too harsh thinking we've paid £25m for a few nice Cruyff turns?
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4294 on: March 22, 2015, 04:09:17 pm »
Coutinho, Lallana, Sterling and Sturridge do not posses anywhere near enough goal threat, nowhere fucking near. You can only rely on 25 yard screamers for so long but if you're not regularly creating chances inside the penalty area, you will eventually come unstuck. Yet again it comes back to selling our best player and goalscorer, without having a suitable list of replacements. Sanchez? No, Remy? no...erm. Absolute amateur hour and as I said in the half time thread, am I being too harsh thinking we've paid £25m for a few nice Cruyff turns?

Sturridge will/can do IF we provide him with support.  This formation I personally believe doesn't not suit him.

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #4295 on: March 22, 2015, 04:12:24 pm »
Sturridge will/can do IF we provide him with support.  This formation I personally believe doesn't not suit him.

Agreed and I personally don't think he gets that chance today if Balotelli isn't on and occupying other defenders.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline Ste08

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4296 on: March 22, 2015, 04:17:36 pm »
Sterling was excellent behind the frontmen last year I could understand if we bought in prime Zidane you don't move him around for Lallana. I think Sturrige needs a partner too but we have anyone I trust. I think the diamond we ended with Monday could work with Sterling at the tip.

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4297 on: March 22, 2015, 04:18:26 pm »
Again, as I've said the last 2-3 games, Sturridge looks isolated and frustrated for the vast majority of the game. Yes, we've improved our defensively capabilities with this system change... what a goal Hazard, best player in the league easy... but we've done at the cost of a) our ability to break quickly (something Sterling, Sturridge and Coutinho as a trio are arguably the best in the league at) and b) giving Sturridge men, balls and movement to play with. For the brief moments we do provide Sturridge with that he looks sharp, skillful, creative. The goal today, the lay off for Lallana in the first half, the four chances he created against Swansea. People have criticised him for dropping too deep (although it's hardly surprising he does that when he sees so little of the action) but he didn't do that today and what does he have to feed on? Poorly aimed balls over the top and aimed at his head. He is too good of a player to only be touching the ball 10 times a game.

Online Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #4298 on: March 22, 2015, 04:19:20 pm »
Sterling and Sturridge do not work in this system.

Sterling is no good in that wingback position, and Sturridge can't make himself play on the line like he needs to when this is our formation. The best solution would be to push Coutinho central to the 3 and have Sterling and Sturridge infront, in my fairly inexperienced opinion anyway.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4299 on: March 22, 2015, 04:30:53 pm »
Agree. We did that pre-season looked great. Against City and Dortmund. Alright it was pre-season but it's just things that looked like they could work and we never tried them again. Coutinho in the number 10 behind Sturridge and Sterling vs Dormund. And the Lucas, Can, Henderson midfield vs City in the second half which looked monstrous.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4300 on: March 22, 2015, 04:31:08 pm »
The key to 343 is having your wingbacks force the width and pin back the opposition.. Ours don't defend well, nor offer anything in attack - it's why we are coming unstuck, Monk worked it out Beavis has worked it out.

Get 2 up front and go after teams straight from the off. Lallana should be hooked for that miss, criminal at that level as it was a golden opportunity.. Score that and we don't have the throw on a 18 year old youth prospect into his first Utd game..

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #4301 on: March 22, 2015, 06:29:35 pm »

This made me so mad today. Even before Henderson received the ball Lallana should have been making the bending run. This is the problem you get when you want to play two creators between the lines and not people who make runs and have at least a bit of striker instincts.

There is a good reason why we don`t score as much as we would have liked. If Sturridge or Sterling were in that position you just know they would have attacked that space especially considering that subsequent Henderson`s pass and weight of it was actually spot on.

One creator between the lines is enough. The other player should always be somebody like Sterling, Markovic or Ibe.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #4302 on: March 22, 2015, 06:35:55 pm »
Sterling and Sturridge do not work in this system.

Sterling is no good in that wingback position, and Sturridge can't make himself play on the line like he needs to when this is our formation. The best solution would be to push Coutinho central to the 3 and have Sterling and Sturridge infront, in my fairly inexperienced opinion anyway.
Agree.

3412 would be my choice now. I'd be reluctant to mess with the defense that has been so solid. Sturridge needs a partner, and we need Sterling's speed up front.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #4303 on: March 22, 2015, 06:48:18 pm »
I hope Rodgers has still got the number of that Caribbean hotel...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #4304 on: March 22, 2015, 07:41:13 pm »
This made me so mad today. Even before Henderson received the ball Lallana should have been making the bending run. This is the problem you get when you want to play two creators between the lines and not people who make runs and have at least a bit of striker instincts.

There is a good reason why we don`t score as much as we would have liked. If Sturridge or Sterling were in that position you just know they would have attacked that space especially considering that subsequent Henderson`s pass and weight of it was actually spot on.

One creator between the lines is enough. The other player should always be somebody like Sterling, Markovic or Ibe.

Yep - gift horse looked in mouth there. I think Lallana should be rotation for Coutinho. Then, as you say, the other player - whether they are an out-and-out forward or a second striker - makes the runs off the work of the main forward. Two playmakers isn't working for our attack. I'd rather see Sterling up front and Coutinho in behind, then lose chances like that because of a lack of penetrating runs.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Dree

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4305 on: March 22, 2015, 08:36:36 pm »
As like the beginning of last season, people are forgetting how young Sterling is. He's been fucking incredible at times. Of course he's going to have inconsistent times, especially when he's never been a top winger. He's special, not a run of the mill pace merchant like Townsend, Lennon and the like.

Offline kevin87

• Kopite
« Reply #4306 on: March 22, 2015, 08:49:31 pm »
Just putting it out there. I thought Balotelli showed a bit when he came on. As  a "second option" starting 11 i would like to see Sturridge and Balotelli start together. Sturridge looks so much more comfortable with a partner, and, no matter what you think of Balotelli, he always attracts at least 1 defender.

Our formation and forward set up was predictable and easily read by both Swansea and now Man utd. Opposition teams have become wiser to what we will be doing in our front half, and I would just like to see the boy given a start. Just to change things up and throw in that level of unpredictability he brings.

Not Sure if Arsenal is the game for this, but geez it would be a ballsy move by Brendan. Its a game we must win now so id be happy to roll the dice. If we start against them like we did today, with the lack of threatning runs coming from the front 3, we'll get done again.

Offline Zephyr

• Thinks of RAWK whilst pleasuring himself
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #4307 on: March 22, 2015, 08:55:14 pm »
I agree with that 100%. It is so frustrating to see such open spaces not being ran into by some of our lot.

Yep - gift horse looked in mouth there. I think Lallana should be rotation for Coutinho. Then, as you say, the other player - whether they are an out-and-out forward or a second striker - makes the runs off the work of the main forward. Two playmakers isn't working for our attack. I'd rather see Sterling up front and Coutinho in behind, then lose chances like that because of a lack of penetrating runs.
Mint-Berry Crunch!

Online Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4308 on: March 22, 2015, 09:40:06 pm »
I think it's time to give Markovic another run in the centre, and maybe try Sterling up top with Sturridge (as a '2').
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Redman78

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4309 on: March 22, 2015, 09:52:09 pm »
Just putting it out there. I thought Balotelli showed a bit when he came on. As  a "second option" starting 11 i would like to see Sturridge and Balotelli start together. Sturridge looks so much more comfortable with a partner, and, no matter what you think of Balotelli, he always attracts at least 1 defender.

Our formation and forward set up was predictable and easily read by both Swansea and now Man utd. Opposition teams have become wiser to what we will be doing in our front half, and I would just like to see the boy given a start. Just to change things up and throw in that level of unpredictability he brings.

Not Sure if Arsenal is the game for this, but geez it would be a ballsy move by Brendan. Its a game we must win now so id be happy to roll the dice. If we start against them like we did today, with the lack of threatning runs coming from the front 3, we'll get done again.

Good point, I didn't think we looked too bad with Balotelli,  Sturridge and Sterling against spurs, I think against Arsenal we need to gamble a bit and be brave

Offline Dree

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4310 on: March 22, 2015, 10:40:37 pm »
I think it's time to give Markovic another run in the centre, and maybe try Sterling up top with Sturridge (as a '2').

Markovic was one of the best at wing back though, he was superb in the league cup semi. At least until Ibe's back.

Offline NorthamptonKopite

• Non-
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #4311 on: March 23, 2015, 12:05:40 am »
Would hope the team looks like this for the next game. Quite clear Sterling isn't working out wide and the fact is he is a better player than Lallana who can cause more problems for oppositions.

Sturridge

Coutinho            Sterling

Moreno     Lucas        Henderson     Markovic

Sakho       Skrtel      Can

Mignolet

Thats if Lucas is fit of course.

Offline Pradan

• Makes RAWK a grim place. Sarcastic besserwisser. Would certainly pick a fight with himself in an empty room.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4312 on: March 23, 2015, 12:31:10 am »
Need to stop sacrificing Sterling's impact on this team for Lallana of all players. Lallana is a good squad player. He can fill in when injuries occur or due to lack of form to our starters.

Bewildering selection by Rodgers. All the even more so considering Rodgers stated only a month ago on Talksport, that Sterling didn't work out as the wing-back when he first tested the system at Newcastle.

Offline Studgotelli

• they have zero understanding of what I’m actually talking about. Got a GCSE in Economics and thinks he knows everything.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4313 on: March 23, 2015, 12:37:09 am »
Random but I find it really annoying when Balotelli lines up FKs from ridiculous positions/distances. Just let someone put the ball in the box.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #4314 on: March 23, 2015, 02:12:47 am »
Need to stop sacrificing Sterling's impact on this team for Lallana of all players. Lallana is a good squad player. He can fill in when injuries occur or due to lack of form to our starters.

Bewildering selection by Rodgers. All the even more so considering Rodgers stated only a month ago on Talksport, that Sterling didn't work out as the wing-back when he first tested the system at Newcastle.
Great, blame Sterling on Lallana.

Sakho is holding Moreno back next.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline QC

• rawks Lionel Hutz, ambulance chaser.Sucks up to the wrong type of Mod.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4315 on: March 23, 2015, 02:15:45 am »
Great, blame Sterling on Lallana.

Sakho is holding Moreno back next.

He's right though. Sterling is shunted out wide to fit in Lallana.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4316 on: March 23, 2015, 02:20:47 am »
Random but I find it really annoying when Balotelli lines up FKs from ridiculous positions/distances. Just let someone put the ball in the box.

Well we haven't scored from any of Henderson or Gerrard's wide free kicks in the league this year, so I don't see the problem with trying something new. Skrtel aside, our team are shocking at attacking balls put into the box
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Ken-Obi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4317 on: March 23, 2015, 02:35:34 am »
He's right though. Sterling is shunted out wide to fit in Lallana.
I was of the idea that the precocious talent of the reigning European Golden Boy would allow him to adapt and own any role, centre, wide, striker etc.

Don't ask me, ask the £150k/week brigade, that's what they said. *shrugs*
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4318 on: March 23, 2015, 02:52:53 am »
I was of the idea that the precocious talent of the reigning European Golden Boy would allow him to adapt and own any role, centre, wide, striker etc.

Don't ask me, ask the £150k/week brigade, that's what they said. *shrugs*

Should put Sturridge LWB too, he's on £150k per week so should adapt just fine

Offline Ken-Obi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4319 on: March 23, 2015, 02:57:04 am »
Should put Sturridge LWB too, he's on £150k per week so should adapt just fine
Sure. Sturridge was brought in to play as first and foremost, a striker. Paid his dues and some.

Direct that to the £150k/week groupie, mate - it's what they said, I'm just repeating what was mentioned.