Author Topic: The West, Israel and Islam - Your Opinion (*)  (Read 180968 times)

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
Re: The West, Israel and Islam - Your Opinion (*)
« Reply #1800 on: June 11, 2021, 12:25:05 pm »
I'm not following your reasoning here. When people called South Africa apartheid, they didn't mean it (SA) had no right to exist and that it should be eliminated. They simply wanted the powers that were in SA at that time to change the system.

Am I taking you up wrongly?

I think they did. Anti-Apartheid campaigners (the vast majority of people in South Africa) wanted the regime scrapped and uprooted. The mountains and the rivers of South Africa would stay, and in that sense it was to be the same country, but in every other sense it was to be a different one. They wanted a new nation with new institutions re-founded on entirely different principles. A non-racial democracy in other words (ie the system that currently prevails inside Israel).

I'm maybe not the best person to say what someone like Asam (on this thread) wants for Israel or Palestine. But I don't think he wants the two-state solution! He is an anti-Zionist clearly, but what does he think should replace Israel? I would imagine he wants a new country, with new institutions, re-founded on entirely different principles. The rivers and mountains will stay, but everything else will change.

He must want this since he thinks Israel is "a racist apartheid state, much worse than the regime that was present in South Africa" and that "anyone who supports Israel is a cheerleader for ethno-supremacist policies deliberately conceived and implemented to disenfranchise, ethnically cleanse and remove Palestinian people from their home lands."

Pretty strong stuff! He also compared those people who defend Israel's right to exist to the Ku Klux Klan, which shows what he thinks of certain fellow-posters on RAWK and, arguably, what he also thinks about Jews. 
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1801 on: June 11, 2021, 12:31:05 pm »

Do you think the people who labelled South Africa an apartheid state were saying that "it had no right to exist and wanted it eliminated", or do you think they just wanted to see the end of cultural/racial segregation??

Speaking for myself, I am quite sure it was the later.

Thanks. You've rather neatly made my point for me. The ANC and its supporters wanted to rewrite the constitution and uproot the Apartheid state. They did not limit themselves to ending racial segregation.

I think maybe you are getting confused with the civil-rights movement in America who were happy with the US Constitution and wanted the nation to live up to its promises. Their aim was limited to ending racial segregation. (or "cultural segregation" as you so coyly put it!)

Something much bigger was going on in South Africa (as I thought everyone knew).
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1802 on: June 11, 2021, 12:42:16 pm »
Thanks. You've rather neatly made my point for me. The ANC and its supporters wanted to rewrite the constitution and uproot the Apartheid state. They did not limit themselves to ending racial segregation.

I think maybe you are getting confused with the civil-rights movement in America who were happy with the US Constitution and wanted the nation to live up to its promises. Their aim was limited to ending racial segregation. (or "cultural segregation" as you so coyly put it!)

Something much bigger was going on in South Africa (as I thought everyone knew).

In two posts you have called one of the posters an anti-Semite and insulted the intelligence of the one you are replying to there.

It's good going dear fellow but I'm not sure it's cricket.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #1803 on: June 11, 2021, 12:43:42 pm »
I think they did. Anti-Apartheid campaigners (the vast majority of people in South Africa) wanted the regime scrapped and uprooted. The mountains and the rivers of South Africa would stay, and in that sense it was to be the same country, but in every other sense it was to be a different one. They wanted a new nation with new institutions re-founded on entirely different principles. A non-racial democracy in other words (ie the system that currently prevails inside Israel).

It's just that phrases like the right to exist and elimination are really loaded when discussing Israel because of its origin, history and naturally the Holocaust. To that extent, I'm not sure comparisons with other places are helpful. Having said that, maybe comparator phrases like apartheid aren't helpful either, for much the same reason.

Leaving aside the West Bank, the citizenship laws in Israel are problematic. Without reaching for the apartheid comparator, if you have a state of affairs where citizenship is at least partly bound up with ethno-religious identification (as I understand it is in Israel), you're open to criticism.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1804 on: June 11, 2021, 12:44:36 pm »
So presumably you take a pretty dim view of Hamas' existence too?

Would you also say 'anyone who supports Hamas is a cheerleader for ethno-supremacist policies'? If not, how come?

Hamas is a symptom and result of Israel oppression, they exist because of the racism of Israel
Palestinians never tried to exile and kick out all Jews when it was a Palestinian state so get your fucking facts right and enough of the silly whataboutisms it’s not going to work

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1805 on: June 11, 2021, 12:49:15 pm »
In two posts you have called one of the posters an anti-Semite and insulted the intelligence of the one you are replying to there.

I realise you want a barney, but I'll try not to give you one. I did not call him an anti-semite. That is the inference you drew. Fair enough.

But it's interesting to me that this has drawn your outrage and not the poster in question calling his fellow-RAWKites the equivalent of "KKK" and "cheerleaders for ethno-supremacist policies".

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1806 on: June 11, 2021, 12:51:19 pm »
Hamas is a symptom and result of Israel oppression, they exist because of the racism of Israel
Palestinians never tried to exile and kick out all Jews when it was a Palestinian state so get your fucking facts right and enough of the silly whataboutisms it’s not going to work

IIRC the first acts of terrorism in the modern history of that area happened when existing Arab inhabitants of the area took exception to the influx of Jewish immigrants. May have happened from pre-WWI, may have happened inter-war. Your comment and the force behind it is definitely incorrect though.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1807 on: June 11, 2021, 12:51:51 pm »

Not really.  The state never ceased to exist, as far as I am aware.  Of course, there were fundamental changes in SA, but the country remained on the map throughout (it did on the ones I saw anyway).

No confusion here thanks.  Nobody has mentioned the US as far as I can see.

The ANC (people fighting apartheid) didn't want to eliminate the country, they just wanted it changed (which they did). 
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 01:09:20 pm by Red-Soldier »

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1808 on: June 11, 2021, 12:51:53 pm »
It's just that phrases like the right to exist and elimination are really loaded when discussing Israel because of its origin, history and naturally the Holocaust. To that extent, I'm not sure comparisons with other places are helpful.

I agree.

Unfortunately they keep landing in the thread.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1809 on: June 11, 2021, 12:53:39 pm »

Cool, glad to clarify.

So, to summarise your point, 'ethno-supremacist policies are really bad, except for when they're not'

Looking at your post on the previous page too, you say that being supportive of Israel (by this you appear to include everyone resident there, including those who didn't vote for the gov't and those who are not jewish) one is a "cheerleader for ethno-supremacist policies".

Yet here you are saying talking about Hamas and Palestinians, and you don't seem to apply your same generalisations that everyone who is supportive of Hamas is a "cheerleader for ethno-supremacist policies". Is there a reason?

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1810 on: June 11, 2021, 12:54:01 pm »
I agree.

Unfortunately they keep landing in the thread.

You landed a couple yourself Yorky  ;)

Right to exist being one of them.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1811 on: June 11, 2021, 12:55:37 pm »

;D

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #1812 on: June 11, 2021, 12:59:39 pm »
;D

I had to read that post twice to take it in.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1813 on: June 11, 2021, 01:02:15 pm »
But it's interesting to me that this has drawn your outrage and not the poster in question calling his fellow-RAWKites the equivalent of "KKK" and "cheerleaders for ethno-supremacist policies".
Not to mention making Hillsborough inferences and suggesting anyone who doesn't think the state of Israel is "vile and horrific" is not really a proper Liverpool fan.

Thought that was a pretty ugly route to take

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1814 on: June 11, 2021, 01:05:00 pm »
Not to mention making Hillsborough inferences and suggesting anyone who doesn't think the state of Israel is "vile and horrific" is not really a proper Liverpool fan.

Hysterical by temper, hysterical by analysis. It is ugly, but I'm sort of glad it's up there.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1815 on: June 11, 2021, 01:08:58 pm »
I had to read that post twice to take it in.

Hamas didn’t exist prior to 2006 so please know your facts before posting

Israeli oppression led to people taking up arms, I’m surprised that you find that so difficult to comprehend

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1816 on: June 11, 2021, 01:09:48 pm »

Israeli oppression led to people taking up arms, I’m surprised that you find that so difficult to comprehend

You of all people are in no position to lecture others about being accurate.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1817 on: June 11, 2021, 01:10:11 pm »
Hysterical by temper, hysterical by analysis. It is ugly, but I'm sort of glad it's up there.

I’m also glad that people can see the ones on this site who are cheerleaders for a racist apartheid state and will excuse blatant racism in the name of balance

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1818 on: June 11, 2021, 01:11:45 pm »
You of all people are in no position to lecture others about being accurate.

What’s not accurate?

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1819 on: June 11, 2021, 01:15:08 pm »
What’s not accurate?

Where to begin?

Don't worry, I'm not going to. There'd be no bandwidth left.

The naughty little laugh was merely at your (classic) assertion that Hamas was nasty because Israel had made her so.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1820 on: June 11, 2021, 01:17:24 pm »

Like it or not Palestinian lives matter, the families of people in Palestine mourn their loved ones just as much as Liverpool supporters who lost loved ones at Hillsborough, the western media depicts the lives of Palestinians as inconsequential, they are most definitely not.

Imagine the pain of those families, Hillsborough is similar to what they experience over there on a daily basis, there are striking similarities in the way that the society and media colluded against the struggle for justice. If that makes people feel something other than casual apathy of seeing Palestinians suffer then I’ve done my job.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1821 on: June 11, 2021, 01:18:17 pm »
What’s not accurate?

Plenty especially in the disgusting post that you posted on the other page. Anyone who uses Hillsborough to make a point is not someone who I have much time for. generally.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1822 on: June 11, 2021, 01:18:52 pm »
Where to begin?

Don't worry, I'm not going to. There'd be no bandwidth left.

The naughty little laugh was merely at your (classic) assertion that Hamas was nasty because Israel had made her so.

The IRA did not exist before England took over Northern Ireland, Hamas didn’t exist before Israel and that was after 50 odd years of oppression

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1823 on: June 11, 2021, 01:19:21 pm »

I’m also glad that people can see the ones on this site who are cheerleaders for a racist apartheid state and will excuse blatant racism in the name of balance

What about those like me who think that Israel are bad but the other side(s) are much worse?
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1824 on: June 11, 2021, 01:22:59 pm »

So, not 1987 then? Hamas won election in Palestine in 2006, and its origins lie in Egypt (Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood).

I do not know enough about the subject to engage properly here, but I thought it worth posting that correction.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1825 on: June 11, 2021, 01:23:17 pm »
I'm sure some of the original support for Hamas came about because of the actions of Israel. I'm also sure some of it just came from antisemitism, or just power hungry people that saw an opportunity to take power in Palestine.

The more pertinent question is probably "Would Hamas have reached the critical mass to get into power without the action of Israel?"

Everything is always treated in such black and white ways in here and elsewhere on this subject.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #1826 on: June 11, 2021, 01:23:42 pm »
The IRA did not exist before England took over Northern Ireland

Oh dear.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1827 on: June 11, 2021, 01:25:37 pm »
I'm sure some of the original support for Hamas came about because of the actions of Israel. I'm also sure some of it just came from antisemitism, or just power hungry people that saw an opportunity to take power in Palestine.

The more pertinent question is probably "Would Hamas have reached the critical mass to get into power without the action of Israel?"

Everything is always treated in such black and white ways in here and elsewhere on this subject.

Exactly, this situation is anything but black and white so when people try and argue in that vain it always makes the thread lose it's way badly.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1828 on: June 11, 2021, 01:26:32 pm »

That's reasonable, I think.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1829 on: June 11, 2021, 01:36:52 pm »
Oh dear.
:lmao

Well it’s an opinion, you’ve got to give him that.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1830 on: June 11, 2021, 01:41:58 pm »
Like it or not Palestinian lives matter, the families of people in Palestine mourn their loved ones just as much as Liverpool supporters who lost loved ones at Hillsborough, the western media depicts the lives of Palestinians as inconsequential, they are most definitely not.

Imagine the pain of those families, Hillsborough is similar to what they experience over there on a daily basis, there are striking similarities in the way that the society and media colluded against the struggle for justice. If that makes people feel something other than casual apathy of seeing Palestinians suffer then I’ve done my job.

Please don't project your view that it's only possible to "feel something" for only one 'side' onto me.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1831 on: June 11, 2021, 02:30:31 pm »

Not everything and not always, and neither here nor elsewhere.  ;D

There are some very good studies of Hamas around. You cannot talk about its growth and domination (in Gaza) without talking about Israel of course. But you can't begin to understand these things without also looking at the internal politics of Palestinian nationalism and - especially - wider the political, theological and generational changes in the Muslim world generally - especially since the 1979 Iranian revolution. As said several times on this thread (by me at least), Israel felt in 1986 that Hamas might be a safer bet than the PLO, believing it to be driven by the Islamist ideas of its parent organisation the Muslim Brotherhood, and therefore uninterested in Palestinian statehood, and in consequence the Israeli secret services nudged it along. A catastrophic mistake.

Though in one sense Israel is right. Hamas would prefer a caliphate over the whole region. But it certainly hasn't been averse to snatching the flag of Palestinian nationalism from its enemies in the PLO (and putting those defeated enemies to death if needs be).

Quite what Hamas would do to the Jews if they got a chance, who knows. Their founding charter suggests mass extermination and famously blames the Jews for international communism and international capitalism (go figure). Most Israelis - Jews and Arabs - probably wouldn't like to give them a chance. 

« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 02:34:09 pm by Yorkykopite »

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1832 on: June 11, 2021, 05:55:50 pm »
Not everything and not always, and neither here nor elsewhere.  ;D

There are some very good studies of Hamas around. You cannot talk about its growth and domination (in Gaza) without talking about Israel of course. But you can't begin to understand these things without also looking at the internal politics of Palestinian nationalism and - especially - wider the political, theological and generational changes in the Muslim world generally - especially since the 1979 Iranian revolution. As said several times on this thread (by me at least), Israel felt in 1986 that Hamas might be a safer bet than the PLO, believing it to be driven by the Islamist ideas of its parent organisation the Muslim Brotherhood, and therefore uninterested in Palestinian statehood, and in consequence the Israeli secret services nudged it along. A catastrophic mistake.

Though in one sense Israel is right. Hamas would prefer a caliphate over the whole region. But it certainly hasn't been averse to snatching the flag of Palestinian nationalism from its enemies in the PLO (and putting those defeated enemies to death if needs be).

Quite what Hamas would do to the Jews if they got a chance, who knows. Their founding charter suggests mass extermination and famously blames the Jews for international communism and international capitalism (go figure). Most Israelis - Jews and Arabs - probably wouldn't like to give them a chance.

What is this shit? Israel is the power in charge, instead of mental gymnastics about what the Palestinians and Hamas “might” do why don’t your hold is real to account for what it has been doing for over 70 Years

It beggars beliefs that people are frankly stupid enough to concern themselves about what Hamas might or could do, when someone is breaking international law and enforcing apartheid right in front of your fucking eyes with impunity

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1833 on: June 11, 2021, 06:10:21 pm »
What is this shit? Israel is the power in charge, instead of mental gymnastics about what the Palestinians and Hamas “might” do why don’t your hold is real to account for what it has been doing for over 70 Years

It beggars beliefs that people are frankly stupid enough to concern themselves about what Hamas might or could do, when someone is breaking international law and enforcing apartheid right in front of your fucking eyes with impunity
Once again, you are demeaning other posters rather than making a cogent argument.

If you cannot discuss an issue with civility then take a break from the thread. 

Time and again, you have failed to discuss with civility.

It’s not very much to ask.

Try it.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #1834 on: June 11, 2021, 06:14:36 pm »
There seems to be a renewed focus on the persecutory actions of Israel against the indigenous Arab Palestinians.

Their scumbaggery seems more reported for some reason.

Long may this higher level of exposure continue.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Bobsackamano

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1835 on: June 11, 2021, 06:17:14 pm »

Defending itself from invading Arab countries and terrorist organisations?

People need to get their heads around the fact that Israel will always be a Jewish nation and they will implement laws to solidify this fact that to Western eyes can appear unequal and oppressive to its minority populations.

I would compare the Jewish situation to other middle east minorities who have failed to create nation states for themselves, such as the Kurds or Yazidis. The lesson is clear, the Israelies are in a much better situation than the other minorities in the Muslim countries so never allow yourself to be a minority in a Muslim country, things tend to go badly.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1836 on: June 11, 2021, 06:19:05 pm »
Given that a two state solution is unlikely as the Palestinians won’t agree to it, what solution do people suggest to bring peace?
W

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1837 on: June 11, 2021, 06:19:33 pm »
Once again, you are demeaning other posters rather than making a cogent argument.

If you cannot discuss an issue with civility then take a break from the thread. 

Time and again, you have failed to discuss with civility.

It’s not very much to ask.

Try it.

There are posters on here who have used their posts to insult the intelligence of people who have challenged them. Yorky may have been more civil, but I don't think this behaviour should go unnoticed either. Then again, as someone who has gone well past that line recently, I'll say that cloaked insults does not constitute civility either.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1838 on: June 11, 2021, 06:26:18 pm »
Defending itself from invading Arab countries and terrorist organisations?

People need to get their heads around the fact that Israel will always be a Jewish nation and they will implement laws to solidify this fact that to Western eyes can appear unequal and oppressive to its minority populations.

I would compare the Jewish situation to other middle east minorities who have failed to create nation states for themselves, such as the Kurds or Yazidis. The lesson is clear, the Israelies are in a much better situation than the other minorities in the Muslim countries so never allow yourself to be a minority in a Muslim country, things tend to go badly.

Israeli gangs were ransacking Palestine for two years before Israel was created, at Deir Yassine the Israeli settler gangs literally executed thousands of Palestinians BEFORE Israel was even created

Please don’t embarrass yourself any further, educate yourself

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1839 on: June 11, 2021, 06:31:18 pm »
Please don’t embarrass yourself any further, educate yourself
Doesn't seem the most compatible viewpoint (especially to be acting holier than thou about), when you just suggested that it beggars belief that people want to consider Hamas and explore further than just looking at one side:
It beggars beliefs that people are frankly stupid enough to concern themselves about what Hamas might or could do