Author Topic: Welcome to Liverpool - Mario Balotelli  (Read 291357 times)

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
Re: Welcome to Liverpool - Mario Balotelli
« Reply #480 on: August 29, 2014, 03:04:48 pm »
I just hope he's prepared to work hard. From what I've heard, he has been very inconsistent in this respect.

Many people say Suarez was allowed to be a bit nuts because he was so good, but that's only half the truth. Suarez earned a lot of respect by working very,very hard on the pitch, and I think that was just as important. Suarez could have rested a lot if he wanted to, as many stars, but he didn't.

If Balotelli works his socks of every match, he won't need to score 30 goals to get loved. If he's lazy, a few goals and funny tweets won't help him.

Offline Twitter.com

• 140 character limitation. Laugh now but one day he'll be in chorge. Media junkie.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #481 on: August 29, 2014, 03:11:04 pm »
^ That's what you get for posting twitter shite kids.

Offline SA RED

• Anny Roader
« Reply #482 on: August 29, 2014, 03:16:00 pm »
Fuck sake, I can't see any of the pics posted in this thread. I feel like I missing out on quite a bit....

Offline Kop Yank

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #483 on: August 29, 2014, 03:23:28 pm »

Balloteli doesn't lean on walls,  the walls lean on him.
Rodgers is so old scool, i only see him in black and white.

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #484 on: August 29, 2014, 03:35:45 pm »
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline Tom-O

• Main Stander
« Reply #485 on: August 29, 2014, 04:07:28 pm »
 :wave

Offline lfcmason

• Kopite
  • Liverpool are champions of Europe again.
« Reply #486 on: August 29, 2014, 04:08:34 pm »

Offline Twitter.com

• 140 character limitation. Laugh now but one day he'll be in chorge. Media junkie.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #487 on: August 29, 2014, 04:15:22 pm »
^ That's what you get for posting twitter shite kids.

Offline Just Dan

• cing on the precipice - it's a long way, Dan!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #488 on: August 29, 2014, 04:51:48 pm »
Can't wait till he bangs a few in at Mold Trafford against Wankchester Discontinued.

It'll send van Goof full on Moyeseh.

Offline joezydudek

• Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #489 on: August 29, 2014, 05:07:24 pm »
I recommend we use his full name in the title like with the other players, Barwuah is a boss name.

Seconded!

Offline RichardM

• should be revising rather than whining on here
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #490 on: August 29, 2014, 08:11:15 pm »
Still can't really believe that Mario Balotelli is a Liverpool player. Not because of his talent necessarily (of which he has in abundance) just because he's such a huge character. We got him for £16m. Crazy stuff.

Offline Rome-77

• Head case, more like! Wtf is wrong with me?
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #491 on: August 29, 2014, 08:15:33 pm »

Offline wellred99

• Anny Roader
« Reply #492 on: August 29, 2014, 08:25:27 pm »

Still can't really believe that Mario Balotelli is a Liverpool player. Not because of his talent necessarily (of which he has in abundance) just because he's such a huge character. We got him for £16m. Crazy stuff.

Me either. Hasn't quite sunk in. We've made some good signings this year but this tops the lot. Best since Suarez IMO.

Offline Just Dan

• cing on the precipice - it's a long way, Dan!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #493 on: August 29, 2014, 08:25:46 pm »
wow what a banner that would make

For me it would be even better if the flames were in green, white and red.

Offline LiverpoolKopKings

• "He got to Number One. Then into minus figures. Though nobody could understand why!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • Here's to win it before my expiry date!!!!
« Reply #494 on: August 29, 2014, 08:47:06 pm »

that has to become a banner yesterday
If you're happy and you know it, Klopp your hands
If you're happy and you know it, Klopp your hands

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #495 on: August 29, 2014, 08:47:09 pm »
From twitter:

"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #496 on: August 29, 2014, 08:52:31 pm »
Brendan just pumps you up doesn't he?  ;D

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #497 on: August 29, 2014, 08:54:20 pm »
Sorry I thought it mentioned it in the text that it is an interview with Gerrard.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline xan21uk

• Main Stander
« Reply #498 on: August 29, 2014, 08:56:28 pm »
Is the song thread locked cos its decided?

Offline HiTs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • In Istanbul when we won it 5 times!
« Reply #499 on: August 29, 2014, 09:35:42 pm »
Bad boy, bad boy Balotelli....whatcha gonna do when he scores against you!!!!
★      ★       ★       ★       ★       ★                        ★                          ★
77     78      81      84       05      19      World Champions 2019     Premier League 2020

Offline Mamadou

• & Ariam. Reads RAWK in strip clubs, but does not post.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #500 on: August 29, 2014, 09:55:28 pm »
" Throw me to the wolves and I will return leading the pack"

Offline electricghost

• Might haunt your wiring, but will usually stop if requested to. Lives in a spirit house in Pra Kanong.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #501 on: August 29, 2014, 11:29:10 pm »
http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/aug/29/mario-balotelli-liverpool-milan-italy?CMP=twt_gu

What made Liverpool’s Mario Balotelli the man he is today?
The striker who is set to make his Liverpool debut on Sunday was adopted and grew up without cultural reference points that most take for granted

Another town, another team, yet another fresh start for Mario Balotelli. Less than a week after completing a £16m move from Milan, the Italy striker is expected to make his Liverpool debut on Sunday lunchtime at White Hart Lane. The Reds will be his fourth club in the space of five years.

Balotelli believes he has found an environment where he can thrive. He told reporters on Monday that he was happy to be back in England, that football in this country was “beautiful”, and that it had been a mistake for him ever to go back to Serie A. But in Italy, the press had a different take. They recalled how the player had returned enthusiastically to his home country just 19 months earlier, bemoaning Manchester’s weather and cuisine.

Milan had seemed like the perfect home for Balotelli at the time. He would be representing the club he supported as a boy, and living close to his friends and family in nearby Brescia. And yet, the honeymoon proved to be short-lived. Despite scoring 26 times in 43 league games, Balotelli cut an unhappy and isolated figure.

He wept on the bench during a defeat to Napoli in February, distraught at his failure to score a goal to dedicate to his daughter Pia – whose paternity he had just acknowledged following a DNA test. Two months later, Balotelli lost his cool during a post-match interview with Italy’s Sky Sport 24, telling the former Juventus midfielder Giancarlo Marocchi: “In my opinion, you don’t understand football.”

So when news broke of the player’s move to Liverpool last week, it was met with resignation on the peninsula, rather than any great surprise. More than one commentator wondered whether the player was destined to spend his entire career moving on from one place to another, always feeling dissatisfied. “He is condemned to chase a rainbow that he will never reach,” wrote Luigi Garlando in Gazzetta dello Sport. “He is Ulysses without Ithaca.”

But what else could the world expect of Balotelli, who grew up without the kind of cultural reference points that most of us take for granted?

Born in Palermo, Sicily to Ghanaian immigrants, Thomas and Rose Barwuah, in the summer of 1990, Balotelli was a sickly child whose intestinal problems made it hard for his biological parents to fully look after his needs. Placed in foster care with Francesco and Silvia Balotelli, a white couple from the affluent town of Concesio, just north of Brescia, he enjoyed a comfortable upbringing, and yet also one that led to endlessly challenging questions about the nature of his identity.

Although bureaucratic obstacles prevented the Balotellis from ever adopting Mario formally, they raised him as their own son, alongside their three biological children Giovanni, Corrado and Cristina. Each of them was treated him as part of the family, and Mario viewed them the same way. But in the overwhelmingly white environment of small-town northern Italy, Mario was also keenly aware that he did not look the same as his siblings or his peers at school.

Stories have been written claiming that Balotelli grew obsessed with the colour of his skin, either shading it in pink with pens or scrubbing his hands with boiling water in order to get them clean. In the book Io Vi Maledico (I Curse You), the Italian journalist Concita De Gregorio quotes one of the player’s former teachers, Tiziana Gatti, as saying that the player had an “evident identity problem” growing up.

“He asked me more than once if his heart, inside his chest, was also black,” Gatti adds in the book. “I explained that it wasn’t, but a few days later he asked me again.”

Balotelli’s relationship with his biological parents was complicated. The Barwuahs had moved to Brescia before agreeing to have him fostered, but despite living nearby they played only a peripheral role in his life. They have blamed the Balotelli family for this state of affairs, claiming that they were denied access to Mario – although that version of events has since been contested by the player.

Regardless of who is telling the truth, the situation can only have been unsettling for a young boy caught between two very different realities. Gatti claims that Balotelli would return from these brief visits with his biological family asking whether they would make him go back to live in Africa.

Football was an outlet, but sadly not an escape. Obsessed with the sport from a young age, Balotelli’s natural talent soon marked him apart in ways that were not always desirable. “His ability, combined with the colour of his skin, provoked a certain amount of jealousy and antipathy,” said the player’s first coach, Giovanni Valenti. “I think growing up, Balotelli went through a period when he felt he was not accepted, because he was black.”

Interactions with the opposite sex might have reinforced that idea. In his biography of Balotelli, Why Always Me, Frank Worrall quotes the player as saying: “Like all boys of a certain age, I was interested in girls and getting attention. But it was like I was transparent [invisible]. I’m no George Clooney but I couldn’t explain why I was ignored. My friends in Italy explained. They told me people don’t like blacks.”

On the pitch, Balotelli responded by refusing to celebrate his goals, instead walking quietly back to the halfway line. Valenti puts that behaviour down to the player’s desire not to draw any more attention to himself than he had already done simply by virtue of the colour of his skin.

Some things, though, you simply cannot hide from. For Balotelli, the ugly side of Italian football support was among them. He was racially abused during his first professional game, at the age of 15. He had required special dispensation just to take part, with directors at Lumezzane lodging a request to the Italian Football Federation to make the striker eligible to play for the senior team.

Entering his team’s match against Padova in Serie C1 – the third tier of Italian football – as a substitute, Balotelli immediately proceeded to nutmeg an opponent. He soon found himself on the wrong end of a brutal foul in retribution. But the striker sprung to his feet and continued. A section of the 3,643 strong crowd at the Stadio Euganeo responded by making monkey noises toward him at the end of the game. In a sense, Balotelli has already delivered the most eloquent message that he can to such people, going on to become one of his country’s foremost players. But even then, he has been made to feel like an outsider along the way.

Despite living his entire life in Italy, Balotelli was prevented by archaic legislation from claiming full citizenship until after he had turned 18. As a result, he was also prevented from representing any of the national youth teams until after that date. Even once he had finally overcome all the legislative hurdles and made his debut for the Azzurri, Balotelli was informed more than once by hostile crowds that “there are no black Italians”.

All of these stories provide some insight into the way that Balotelli carries himself today. If he behaves like an outsider, detached from his colleagues on and off the pitch, perhaps it is because that is how he has had to live his whole life – knowing that he is just a little different to everybody else. It might also explain why, at 24, he is still having such a hard time finding a place that he is happy to call home.

“Soon [Balotelli] will play alongside Steven Gerrard, a banner player who has been planted in the same place for 30 years: the heart of Liverpool,” Garlando continued in Gazzetta dello Sport.

“The mythical Kop will sing ‘You’ll never walk alone’ and yet Mario, incapable of laying down roots, further away still from his daughter and parents, will walk alone.”

That is one take on the situation. Another would be to say that Balotelli simply has not found the right place, the right club, the right manager to shake him out of established patterns of behaviour. Could Liverpool turn out to be the home he has been seeking?
“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.”
― Steven Weinberg

Offline Vork+The Knights of Good

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Macklin, you son of a bitch.
« Reply #502 on: August 29, 2014, 11:47:09 pm »
http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/aug/29/mario-balotelli-liverpool-milan-italy?CMP=twt_gu

Really important read. I posted similar thoughts last week before his signing became official. I can't quote the post as the topic has been locked, but these were my thoughts:

Bit of a slow day, eh? Going to be honest here, I'm chuffed at this. I think Balotelli's got all the talent in the world and he's largely misunderstood. He genuinely seems like a decent lad (a few stray darts aside) who's suffered through more in his 20-odd years than most talented footballers do in their entire lives.  Just off the top of my head: he was orphaned as a young child, wasn't granted citizenship in the country where he was born and raised until he was 18 because his birth parents were immigrants, for many became the face of "new Italians" in his early 20's, has repeatedly been the subject of racist epithets within his home country, and even once was the subject of a racist cartoon in the country's major sports daily while starring at the Euros. Oh and on top of all that he's had the pressure of being his country's next great footballing hope. How would you have handled all of that? Is it any surprise that he hasn't matured at a rate you and I deem acceptable and has acted out on occasion?

Nothing I've seen demonstrates that he suffers from mental illness, as I've seen some suggest. Nothing I've seen demonstrates that he'd have a massive destabilizing impact on the changing room. He just seems like an immensely gifted kid who's had to deal with a lot of shit in his life and hasn't always handled it perfectly. I really think that coming to a club like ours with stability, a great man manager, and a family feel might be just the ticket. He'll have to put up with being the target for the tabloids, opposition supporters, and, on occasion, the opposition itself, but hopefully having big leaders around him like Gerrard, Henderson, and Sturridge will help neutralize that somewhat. He's got some growing up to do, but I was no different when I was 24 (some I know would argue that's still the case). I think folks who suggest he'll never change are largely idiots writing off someone for whom they have no understanding.
Justice For The 96

Offline Tomo!

• Shit post editor! Will be giving his wife one.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #503 on: August 29, 2014, 11:49:10 pm »
From twitter:

Impressive from Gerrard.

Can imagine he's been asked to play a key role in project Mario
Google messi topless on holiday. Now look at david silva, villa, iniesta, xavi, they have the upper bodies of little boys.

Offline Spraynard Kruger

• Wholeheartedly supports the cause but would stay seated in a walk-out protest cos, you know, it's so expensive to get to the game, so doesn't wholeheartedly support after all and misses the point completely. All in one sentence. Wow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #504 on: August 29, 2014, 11:52:18 pm »
So much for our fantastic work ethic - he and Sakho are already coming to training stoned every day.

"Sometimes you have to just chill out, look at the Everton fans and let them realise what time it is." - Daniel Sturridge

Offline iiqae

• Anny Roader
« Reply #505 on: August 30, 2014, 12:14:19 am »
if anyone is unsure of where to start with all of this balotelli media, paolo bandini's article (above) is the place to start (and perhaps finish).
some brilliant insight there.

Offline Tom18

• Kopite
« Reply #506 on: August 30, 2014, 12:26:19 am »
That is a really insightful article there. Interesting read.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #507 on: August 30, 2014, 02:15:29 am »
Great article. With the racial issues in mind it should do him good to play next to Sturridge and Sterling in front of fans who see no colours (apart from red!). These stories only make me want him to succeed even more. I can see him gradually starting to celebrate goals more with us rather than 'walking quietly back to the half way line', and it would be hugely symbolic if he did.

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #508 on: August 30, 2014, 02:51:24 am »
So much for our fantastic work ethic - he and Sakho are already coming to training stoned every day.

Look like they're having a 'chill' off...  ;D

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #509 on: August 30, 2014, 03:10:17 am »
he just needs the loving arm of thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands of Scousers around his shoulder. That's all he needs.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #510 on: August 30, 2014, 03:23:03 am »
he just needs the loving arm of thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands of Scousers around his shoulder. That's all he needs.
And thousands of loving arms around his shoulders he shall get. Millions even.

Offline ShanksMcShankly

• Kemlynite
  • Long live the King!
« Reply #511 on: August 30, 2014, 03:41:16 am »
Hey lads, I wrote a song for Mario Balotelli. I've spread it around our local supporters groups and a lot of the lads are really into it. I wrote it to be sung in a fun Italian accent and I've been having so much fun singing it. It's set to an Italian tune and will require the KOP to find their singing voices again and not just chant songs out. I wrote the lyrics to make light of his colorful past and not just call him a crazy bastard. I know I'd rather have people singing about how boss, class, and rich I am instead of saying I'm off my fucking head.

Here's a solo video of me that I did so other supporters can get the tune matched to the lyrics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REkYlDWDEz8&list=UUcKQHygIp84fs42SLYpDBnA

So what do you lads think?
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool."

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #512 on: August 30, 2014, 03:53:05 am »
Hey lads, I wrote a song for Mario Balotelli. I've spread it around our local supporters groups and a lot of the lads are really into it. I wrote it to be sung in a fun Italian accent and I've been having so much fun singing it. It's set to an Italian tune and will require the KOP to find their singing voices again and not just chant songs out. I wrote the lyrics to make light of his colorful past and not just call him a crazy bastard. I know I'd rather have people singing about how boss, class, and rich I am instead of saying I'm off my fucking head.

Here's a solo video of me that I did so other supporters can get the tune matched to the lyrics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REkYlDWDEz8&list=UUcKQHygIp84fs42SLYpDBnA

So what do you lads think?
Haha top effort mate, could sound really good. Might want to find something other than "he's rich" to describe him, and perhaps drop out the "fuckin's"... It's quite crass when songs include that considering that there's loads of families at games and watching on TV (which usually leads to broadcasters censoring chants anyways). I like the tune and the other lyrics though  ;D

Offline ShanksMcShankly

• Kemlynite
  • Long live the King!
« Reply #513 on: August 30, 2014, 04:01:23 am »
Haha top effort mate, could sound really good. Might want to find something other than "he's rich" to describe him, and perhaps drop out the "fuckin's"... It's quite crass when songs include that considering that there's loads of families at games and watching on TV (which usually leads to broadcasters censoring chants anyways). I like the tune and the other lyrics though  ;D

Thanks Rick! Yeah I did want to keep it clean but the chorus saying that he's fucking rich was just too much fun because I loved that time he got pulled over with 5 grand on him and when the cops asked him why his response was, "because I'm rich!" which I envision him as saying "because I'm fucking rich bitch!!!" with a wild look on his face =)  we could always sub in super instead of fucking...
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool."

Offline abs-ibs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #514 on: August 30, 2014, 04:26:16 am »
Can't wait to see super Mario make his debut. Just hope it's Sunday with a fucking battering of spurs and a brace or hat-trick to his name. Get things going the way they should be going through out his time with us!!!!!

Come on u Reds!!!!!!!!!!

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #515 on: August 30, 2014, 05:40:15 am »
Feeling exactly the same. Optimistic that he will be a big success. Always has a soft spot for him - from his Inter days
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline xan21uk

• Main Stander
« Reply #516 on: August 30, 2014, 08:31:20 am »
To the tune of Dangermouse

He's the greatest
He's fantastic
Wherever there's danger he'll be there
He's the ace
He's amazing
He's the strongest he's the quickest he's the best
Mariooooooo
Marioooooooo
Mariooooooooo

Offline Gettin better all da time

• Main Stander
  • JFT 96
« Reply #517 on: August 30, 2014, 08:38:11 am »
Woke up this morning to the sound of Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

And I think this works:

SuperMarioBalatelliPlaysForLiverpool
Even though he's a nutter we all think he's very cool
If you say it loud enough you know we're going to rule
SuperMarioBalatelliPlaysForLiverpool

Offline Endoe

• Legacy Fan
  • A liverbird on my chest
« Reply #518 on: August 30, 2014, 08:54:31 am »

your drawing mate? Can I use it as my avtar? please, pretty please.

Offline Livo.85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #519 on: August 30, 2014, 09:22:18 am »
That Guardian article is a good read. I always thought his 2nd goal celebration at the Euros against Germany was boss but didn't put any significance to it. Now I interpret it as a big F U to the racist Italians. He basically says "look at me, i am black & i am awesome" without saying anything but taking his shirt off & flexing to literally show them off rather than show off to the world.