Author Topic: The Meh Scottish Football Thread  (Read 382639 times)

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Meh Scottish Football Thread
« Reply #4240 on: July 4, 2023, 09:45:10 pm »
Agreed.
Let them spout their sectarian shite where they are and leave the rest of us alone.

Can you please take them? You'd be doing the rest of Scotland a solid.

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #4241 on: July 4, 2023, 09:59:02 pm »
Cheaper as foot passenger, does the train still run to the ferry?
Nah I got it fairly regularly until Ryanair started running Belfast to Edinburgh again for like 30 quid. Cairnryan is a joke transport wise.
YNWA

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4242 on: July 4, 2023, 10:01:45 pm »
Another thing, would you want fans of the Old Firm clubs invading some of the towns & cities, when say, they're away at a league of Wales team, i think not.

Well, many leagues around Europe don't allow away fans, or allow a very limited number of them ...

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4243 on: July 4, 2023, 10:24:36 pm »
That’s the definition of insanity. Somerset’s a piggery. I probably know your cousin to look at, there’s only about 20 of them 😉
His name is Martin and he's about 38 or so with glasses.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4244 on: July 4, 2023, 10:26:11 pm »
Cheaper as foot passenger, does the train still run to the ferry?
There's no rail network covering Omagh mate, and if he drives to Derry for the train it's about 3 hours minimum to get to Belfast or Larne, the public transport over here is shite.

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4245 on: July 4, 2023, 10:31:53 pm »
Well, many leagues around Europe don't allow away fans, or allow a very limited number of them ...

The only reason anyone would want them would be for the number of fans they bring and the money they spend. I guess times have changed a bit with television money, but it still depends on them being involved.

Can't live with them, etc.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #4246 on: July 4, 2023, 10:38:40 pm »
Isn't it possible to create something like the United Rugby Championship, with football clubs from Scotland, Ireland, Northern Ireland and Wales? The 17-18 million market would certainly be more interesting for the sponsors ...
What would be the point though? Best/most lucrative case scenario would be to create something with roughly the stature of the Dutch league.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4247 on: July 4, 2023, 10:51:52 pm »
What would be the point though? Best/most lucrative case scenario would be to create something with roughly the stature of the Dutch league.

Well, the Dutch league is certainly better than the present Scottish/Irish/Welsh/Northern Irish leagues ...

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4248 on: July 4, 2023, 10:57:07 pm »
Another thing, would you want fans of the Old Firm clubs invading some of the towns & cities, when say, they're away at a league of Wales team, i think not.

We get enough of that bollocks in Belfast as it is without having Celtic and Rangers coming over to pour fuel on the fire.  :D
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4249 on: July 4, 2023, 11:00:47 pm »
We get enough of that bollocks in Belfast as it is without having Celtic and Rangers coming over to pour fuel on the fire.  :D

Sorry, I am not familiar with the details, but do you have the same problems with the matches of the regional rugby league?

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4250 on: July 4, 2023, 11:08:31 pm »
Sorry, I am not familiar with the details, but do you have the same problems with the matches of the regional rugby league?

No. Rugby is followed and played mainly by the middle classes.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #4251 on: July 4, 2023, 11:11:50 pm »
Well, the Dutch league is certainly better than the present Scottish/Irish/Welsh/Northern Irish leagues ...
That was the best case scenario though, and even then we’re overstating it because it wouldn’t involve Wales because England already has the big Welsh clubs. Most likely you’d just end up with a bigger version of the Scottish league, with a few more Hibs/Hearts and a few more Motherwells/St.Mirrens as the Irish clubs bedded in. Not worth it.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4252 on: July 4, 2023, 11:15:20 pm »
That was the best case scenario though, and even then we’re overstating it because it wouldn’t involve Wales because England already has the big Welsh clubs. Most likely you’d just end up with a bigger version of the Scottish league, with a few more Hibs/Hearts and a few more Motherwells/St.Mirrens as the Irish clubs bedded in. Not worth it.

I don't think many fans would want it either. A 90 minutes coach to an away game at Coleraine might be shit, but it's better than a 7 or 8 hour journey to get from Belfast to Dingwall

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4253 on: July 4, 2023, 11:17:10 pm »

Well, the big Welsh clubs are not exactly thriving in the English league system, bit nevermind ...

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4254 on: July 4, 2023, 11:21:36 pm »
I don't think many fans would want it either. A 90 minutes coach to an away game at Coleraine might be shit, but it's better than a 7 or 8 hour journey to get from Belfast to Dingwall

I also come from a small country with a similar size to Northern Ireland, even though I was born and raised in what was a much bigger country at the time. We were not going too much on the long away trips during the Yugoslavia days, but I do miss the home games against Red Star, Hajduk, Partizan or Dinamo ...

Offline Red46

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4255 on: July 4, 2023, 11:43:28 pm »
What’s with the ‘meh’ in the title? Pretty disrespectful if you ask me to one of the greatest footballing nations.

Offline Big Dirk

• But with Little Harnds. One of these is incorrerct.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Belfast Red
« Reply #4256 on: July 4, 2023, 11:45:36 pm »
Larne who are backed by the former owner of purple brick and who if they invest properly can nearly guarantee European football for the foreseeable future are able to bid more for a player from rivals Glentoran than what St Mirren can afford…Larnes average attendance last year was less than 2k…that’s the current state of Scottish football!
Born a Red-Live a Red-Die a Red

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #4257 on: July 5, 2023, 06:00:18 am »
Another thing too, most fans of clubs in the United Rugby Championship don't travel to away matches either, even when the Welsh, Irish & Scottish clubs play each other.

You'd only get a few The New Saints fans going to watch The New Saints away at Ross County, you'll get even less The New Saints fans traveling to Ireland, when they are away at any of the Irish clubs.

The New Saints full name is The New Saints of Oswestry Town & Llansantffraid Football Club, they used to be known as Total Network Solutions [or TNS], we played TNS in champions league qualifying.
« Last Edit: July 5, 2023, 06:11:42 am by Statto Red »
#Sausages

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #4258 on: July 5, 2023, 10:58:25 am »
His name is Martin and he's about 38 or so with glasses.

I’ll keep my eyes open for him at the next derby 😉
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4259 on: July 5, 2023, 11:01:23 am »
Larne who are backed by the former owner of purple brick and who if they invest properly can nearly guarantee European football for the foreseeable future are able to bid more for a player from rivals Glentoran than what St Mirren can afford…Larnes average attendance last year was less than 2k…that’s the current state of Scottish football!

Killie, with 4 triallists in the squad lost to Glentoran last night, playing Larne on Friday. Still can’t win away from home 😂

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4260 on: July 5, 2023, 12:00:49 pm »

The Abu Dhabi of the NIFL. Won their first ever title last season and clinched it away at Crusaders I beileve. About 30 away fans at Seaview.
I remember reading they wouldn't be allowed to play their European games at Inver Park either as it doesn't meet UEFA standards. Don't know if anything has changed in that regard.

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4261 on: July 5, 2023, 12:04:49 pm »

Sounds spookily like Gretna. Remember them, Scottish Cup Finalists?

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4262 on: July 5, 2023, 12:40:41 pm »
What’s with the ‘meh’ in the title? Pretty disrespectful if you ask me to one of the greatest footballing nations.
For me it's because you need to go back to 1985 for when the league was last won by a non-Old Firm club.

During all that time of total domestic dominance the Old Firm haven't won a single European trophy.  It's been over a decade since either made the knock-out stages of the CL (when Celtic lost 5-0 on aggregate to Juve).

It's not necessarily the fault of the Old Firm that they exist in that sort of limbo but for me it makes Scottish football quite "meh".  Leicester upset the odds in England but I can't even remember the last time Aberdeen or Hearts were in a title race at Christmas.

For the record I think English football - top-level football in general - is becoming quite "meh" but Scottish football got their earlier than most.

Offline Big Dirk

• Legacy Fan
  • Belfast Red
« Reply #4263 on: July 5, 2023, 10:50:06 pm »
The Abu Dhabi of the NIFL. Won their first ever title last season and clinched it away at Crusaders I beileve. About 30 away fans at Seaview.
I remember reading they wouldn't be allowed to play their European games at Inver Park either as it doesn't meet UEFA standards. Don't know if anything has changed in that regard.
Yes I was at the game but as a Crues fan I won’t comment on fan size😂they have to play their euro games at Solitude…anyway St Mirren have got their man.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4264 on: July 6, 2023, 12:21:54 am »
Yes I was at the game but as a Crues fan I won’t comment on fan size😂they have to play their euro games at Solitude…anyway St Mirren have got their man.

I'm a part time Cliftonville fan, but let's not fall out  :D
Don't suppose you know the Eaton's that go to Crues games?
Had no idea Larne were using Solitude to be honest.

Offline Big Dirk

• Legacy Fan
  • Belfast Red
« Reply #4265 on: July 6, 2023, 07:10:25 am »
I actually do…lives down around Glasgow street direction?

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4266 on: July 6, 2023, 03:57:06 pm »
I actually do…lives down around Glasgow street direction?

Chatting to the one I know there. He said there's a few live around that area  :D

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #4267 on: July 27, 2023, 05:36:23 pm »
Hibs 2-0 down to Inter Club d'Escaldes of Andorra in Europa Conference League qualifying ;D
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4268 on: July 27, 2023, 08:37:44 pm »
Hibs 2-0 down to Inter Club d'Escaldes of Andorra in Europa Conference League qualifying ;D

Dear oh dear. Me, you & 9 randoms off the street could beat that lot. We might give the Andorran team a game too.

Offline David in Edinburgh

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Klopp
« Reply #4269 on: July 27, 2023, 10:06:48 pm »
Dear oh dear. Me, you & 9 randoms off the street could beat that lot. We might give the Andorran team a game too.

:lmao

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4270 on: July 28, 2023, 02:33:00 pm »
Shocking result for Hibs.

Offline Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4271 on: July 30, 2023, 05:55:10 pm »
Not a good July for Gretna 2008 in the lowland league. 3 games played 2 goals scored, 23 conceded!Maybe the defenders are on their summer holidays still.
https://us.soccerway.com/teams/scotland/gretna-fc-2008/18985/

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4272 on: August 5, 2023, 07:08:43 pm »
Great start for Rangers.

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #4273 on: August 5, 2023, 07:34:20 pm »
Title race over already ;)

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4274 on: August 5, 2023, 07:38:42 pm »
Fair fucks to him, another Scottish title.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4275 on: August 5, 2023, 08:07:26 pm »
Very surprised at that Rangers defeat, Beale had them doing really well, but he's signed quite a few players this summer, they're not going to all be up to speed just yet.

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4276 on: August 6, 2023, 12:02:21 am »
Killie defended well. I think McInnes is a terrible manager, but he got it right today.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #4277 on: August 6, 2023, 09:06:20 am »
Very surprised at that Rangers defeat, Beale had them doing really well, but he's signed quite a few players this summer, they're not going to all be up to speed just yet.

They were abysmal but they always seem to be on those 3G pitches. Gerrard always used to moan about them.

The players looked taken aback by the physicality of Scottish football.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online spen71

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4278 on: August 20, 2023, 05:51:33 pm »
Celtic knocked out of the cup.   Just shows how little notice I take of football in general.   Didn’t know Rodger’s was back as manager

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4279 on: August 21, 2023, 01:00:52 pm »
It’s all down to the plastic pitch, dontchaknow?