Author Topic: Spurs: fucking useless  (Read 2625454 times)

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Spurs
« Reply #6760 on: November 29, 2017, 01:15:55 am »
Spurs are a magnificent team, they only lose at Wembley, and the Emirates, and Old trafford , and at leciester. Wish my team had less points so we could be like Spurs.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #6761 on: November 29, 2017, 01:19:15 am »
I just think their main guys look a bit jaded, the likes of Alli, Eriksen and Kane play almost every game when they're available. I'm worried we're going to do the same to Salah to be honest.

We do have a quite similar player in Mané when Salah needs a rest, to be fair, who's also fairly fresh after a few injuries.

Spurs has always had a fairly thin squad. They've failed for a third season in a row to get backup for Kane. There is no other Alli in their squad and there is no other Eriksen.

Their defence is fine. But the more you fail to score goals as a top team, the more likely you'll concede a goal, as the pressure will always be on you and not the other team to win.

(I just pulled that last bit out of my arse,  but it sounds sensible, right?)

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6762 on: November 29, 2017, 01:35:02 am »
Oops, Spurs dropped points again. They really are missing Alderweireld and Wanyama huh ?

Primativ not been on tonight then ? What a surprise.  ;D  :wave

He's such a tool
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6763 on: November 29, 2017, 01:43:59 am »
I just think their main guys look a bit jaded, the likes of Alli, Eriksen and Kane play almost every game when they're available. I'm worried we're going to do the same to Salah to be honest.

Salah just had a two week break as he didnt play for Egypt. He will be rested Im sure as will others, but hes hardly in need of it now

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6764 on: November 29, 2017, 02:01:09 am »
Spurs forget the league, you can win the Champions League. All eggs in that basket, you know it makes sense...
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6765 on: November 29, 2017, 02:40:30 am »
We do have a quite similar player in Mané when Salah needs a rest, to be fair, who's also fairly fresh after a few injuries.

Spurs has always had a fairly thin squad. They've failed for a third season in a row to get backup for Kane. There is no other Alli in their squad and there is no other Eriksen.

Their defence is fine. But the more you fail to score goals as a top team, the more likely you'll concede a goal, as the pressure will always be on you and not the other team to win.

(I just pulled that last bit out of my arse,  but it sounds sensible, right?)
If they had Alderweireld, they would've won this game 1-0. Thats why they've finished above us in the past two seasons. Their attack if anything is a bit inferior to ours even with Kane. But in Alderweireld and Lloris, they have a world class CB and GK while we make do with Mignolet and Lovren.

Offline Thats So Dimitar

• Kopite
« Reply #6766 on: November 29, 2017, 02:58:34 am »
League results since Alderweireld injury;

Spurs 1 Palace 0
Arsenal 2 Spurs 0
Spurs 1 WBA 1
Leicester 2 Spurs 1

One man team.

I know this is kind of a joke and there is obviously other things going on with our team as well (think some of our players are a bit exhausted/haven't had a chance to properly return from injury) but there is a little bit of truth to this as well. Last year when Alderweireld was injured we didn't get going again properly until he came back. Performance wise I think Vertonghen has been a little better this year, but it's clear Alderweireld is the leader back there. Plus we miss his ability on the ball as well. We still try and play it out but usually we have him and Vertonghen either side of Sanchez, so they play back and forth off Sanchez until one finds a pass forward.

The other thing him being out does is it means we have to push Dier back in to defence. Usually that would be fine even if Dier isn't as good at CB as he is at DM, but Wanyama and Winks are injured too which means we end up with with Dembele and Sissoko as our midfield. I absolutely love Dembele, but he has serious hip problems which he has been playing through for years and appear to be finally taking their toll, he was awful today. The less said about Sissoko the better.
We beat Real Madrid

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6767 on: November 29, 2017, 03:09:55 am »
I know this is kind of a joke and there is obviously other things going on with our team as well (think some of our players are a bit exhausted/haven't had a chance to properly return from injury) but there is a little bit of truth to this as well. Last year when Alderweireld was injured we didn't get going again properly until he came back. Performance wise I think Vertonghen has been a little better this year, but it's clear Alderweireld is the leader back there. Plus we miss his ability on the ball as well. We still try and play it out but usually we have him and Vertonghen either side of Sanchez, so they play back and forth off Sanchez until one finds a pass forward.

The other thing him being out does is it means we have to push Dier back in to defence. Usually that would be fine even if Dier isn't as good at CB as he is at DM, but Wanyama and Winks are injured too which means we end up with with Dembele and Sissoko as our midfield. I absolutely love Dembele, but he has serious hip problems which he has been playing through for years and appear to be finally taking their toll, he was awful today. The less said about Sissoko the better.
Eh, Dier is pretty rubbish in midfield too

Offline Thats So Dimitar

• Kopite
« Reply #6768 on: November 29, 2017, 03:13:35 am »
Eh, Dier is pretty rubbish in midfield too

Thanks for your contribution
We beat Real Madrid

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #6769 on: November 29, 2017, 03:19:26 am »
If they had Alderweireld, they would've won this game 1-0. Thats why they've finished above us in the past two seasons. Their attack if anything is a bit inferior to ours even with Kane. But in Alderweireld and Lloris, they have a world class CB and GK while we make do with Mignolet and Lovren.

Their attack is far inferior to ours. The depth of their attack is razor thin. Like I've said in our own injury thread, they've been tremendously fortunate in injuries to their key attackers. Alli has barely missed a game through injury, and Eriksen's missed an average of about 3 games a season since he started at Spurs.

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6770 on: November 29, 2017, 03:20:59 am »

Quality post

NKoudou, Clinton Njie, Janssen.....Llorente (premature).......that none panned out mean that spurs go into busiest part of the schedule looking tired and desperately thin. That said after the past few years I'm wary of spurs, think looks can be deceiving.

It's nothing short of hilarious watching Sissoko operate in midfield.
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6771 on: November 29, 2017, 04:56:15 am »

This whole idea that Lloris is world class seems a flawed one to me, he simply built enough of a positive reputation that his mistakes get dismissed, whereas the likes of Mignolet have a negative reputation so his mistakes are classed as fundamental issues when the truth is somewhere in between for both of them.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #6772 on: November 29, 2017, 05:03:12 am »
This whole idea that Lloris is world class seems a flawed one to me, he simply built enough of a positive reputation that his mistakes get dismissed, whereas the likes of Mignolet have a negative reputation so his mistakes are classed as fundamental issues when the truth is somewhere in between for both of them.

He's not World Class, but he IS excellent. And better than Mignolet currently is. Plus he looks like a French detective in one of those French detective shows set in Provence or some beachside town. Mignolet looks like a 1920s American gangster who was just too nice for a life of crime.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Thats So Dimitar

• Kopite
« Reply #6773 on: November 29, 2017, 05:06:13 am »
He's not World Class, but he IS excellent. And better than Mignolet currently is. Plus he looks like a French detective in one of those French detective shows set in Provence or some beachside town. Mignolet looks like a 1920s American gangster who was just too nice for a life of crime.

What does world class mean though and which keepers playing today are world class?
We beat Real Madrid

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #6774 on: November 29, 2017, 05:28:55 am »
What does world class mean though and which keepers playing today are world class?

World class means that every other team on the planet would want that player starting for their team (or pushing for a start)

Neuer is world class

DeGea is world class

Better looking than Samie.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6775 on: November 29, 2017, 07:34:21 am »
World class means that every other team on the planet would want that player starting for their team (or pushing for a start)

Neuer is world class

DeGea is world class

Pickford is world class
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6776 on: November 29, 2017, 07:36:20 am »
I'd say their biggest problem during this slump has been Alli. When he's not scoring goals he's pretty useless on the pitch.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #6777 on: November 29, 2017, 08:00:02 am »

he really isn't.

He's a good goalie, but makes a lot of mistakes. Sure, all goalies make 'em of course, but he makes a shit ton for a supposedly excellent goalie.   He is yet another good, but not great goalie that plays in the league, where there are really only truly 2 top goalies at the moment. But its the same with all the big leagues, couple truly excellent goalies, and a whole lot of decent ones, and a couple really shit ones.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #6778 on: November 29, 2017, 08:05:23 am »
This could well be the beginning of the end for this Spurs team. Likes of Alli and Kane aren't going to hang around on relatively shit money when they're not winning any silverware. If they don't get top 4 then I reckon the real big clubs will be sniffing around in the summer.

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #6779 on: November 29, 2017, 08:28:51 am »

I agree with this. He WAS and excellent keeper, but mistakes have been creeping in more and more over the last couple of seasons. He's living off reputation imo.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6780 on: November 29, 2017, 08:37:52 am »
I know this is kind of a joke....

I was actually being serious! OK, the "one man team" thing was a bit tongue in cheek but, for the reasons you articulated better than I could, I don't think it's a coincidence your results have suffered so much since he's been absent. He's the best defender in the league, he's a big miss.

Not sure what his contract situation is but he's the one I'd be most worried about leaving soon if I were a Spurs fan - at 28 he'll have one mega bucks contract left in him and no loyalty ties keeping him at Spurs.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6781 on: November 29, 2017, 09:53:42 am »

Neuer is world class

DeGea is world class

Oblak too imo

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6782 on: November 29, 2017, 10:03:11 am »
Hope they finish out the top 4. Then you will see the likes of Kane and Alli pushing for moves.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6783 on: November 29, 2017, 10:08:38 am »
Hope they finish out the top 4. Then you will see the likes of Kane and Alli pushing for moves.

I can't see that making a difference, they'll still be top 4 if you take the last 3 seasons points totals. You need to stop thinking short term.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6784 on: November 29, 2017, 10:10:25 am »

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6785 on: November 29, 2017, 10:13:45 am »
I can't see that making a difference, they'll still be top 4 if you take the last 3 seasons points totals. You need to stop thinking short term.
;D
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #6786 on: November 29, 2017, 10:45:18 am »
Oh Em and uh Gee. Wow.

The bestestestest team in the country won only 4 pts last 5 league games and Alli half of Liverpool fanbase committed suicide over has only 3 league goals after 14 games? Wow this is such a crisis that you'd almost think they didn't beat Real Madrid or something. I'm not having this

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #6787 on: November 29, 2017, 11:12:28 am »
Not sure what his contract situation is but he's the one I'd be most worried about leaving soon if I were a Spurs fan - at 28 he'll have one mega bucks contract left in him and no loyalty ties keeping him at Spurs.

Doesn't he have a £30m release clause or has that expired now? I've always thought he'll go to City at some point.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #6788 on: November 29, 2017, 11:19:36 am »
Doesn't he have a £30m release clause or has that expired now? I've always thought he'll go to City at some point.

£25m in summer 2019 if Spurs take up the option of extending his deal for a further year until 2020.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6789 on: November 29, 2017, 11:31:02 am »

Think Kane is one of the least of their worries. It's only really United that he could join, and he won't rush their under Mourinho.

Alderwiereld Lloris and Eriksen are the big ones. And Alli, but to a much lesser degree (either to United, Chelsea or abroad - as unlikely as it is that a Brit plays abroad, it looks like he's getting an agent that pushes for regular moves)

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6790 on: November 29, 2017, 11:36:05 am »
I agree with this. He WAS and excellent keeper, but mistakes have been creeping in more and more over the last couple of seasons. He's living off reputation imo.

Exactly, two seasons back he was excellent and didn't put a foot wrong, now there are a few mistakes in his game but he's still a good keeper.  The recent results are more from the front players running out of steam than anything else, the movement isn't as explosive, and they have nobody to find players making runs if Eriksen is on form/marked out of the game.  Lamela coming back will be key for them I feel.

We've got a period of 9 games in a month coming up, so by January we'll need to see where all the teams are at, however Spurs certainly need no injuries at this stage of the season with a major step down obvious for their backup players.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6791 on: November 29, 2017, 11:51:10 am »
Exactly, two seasons back he was excellent and didn't put a foot wrong, now there are a few mistakes in his game but he's still a good keeper.  The recent results are more from the front players running out of steam than anything else, the movement isn't as explosive, and they have nobody to find players making runs if Eriksen is on form/marked out of the game.  Lamela coming back will be key for them I feel.

We've got a period of 9 games in a month coming up, so by January we'll need to see where all the teams are at, however Spurs certainly need no injuries at this stage of the season with a major step down obvious for their backup players.

I think this is absolutely right. Kane has played over 1700 minutes for Spurs and England, Alli has over 1800 minutes for Spurs and England so far and Eriksen has chalked up nigh on a frankly ludicrous 2100 minutes for these and Denmark. That's a stupid amount of football to have in your legs by the end of November.

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6792 on: November 29, 2017, 12:16:19 pm »
I think this is absolutely right. Kane has played over 1700 minutes for Spurs and England, Alli has over 1800 minutes for Spurs and England so far and Eriksen has chalked up nigh on a frankly ludicrous 2100 minutes for these and Denmark. That's a stupid amount of football to have in your legs by the end of November.

Absolutely, I actually think Tottenham were very unlucky yesterday, they missed a good 2 clear cut chances middle of the goal which on another night would have seen them win 3-2.  Leicester, even with two top class goals, barely squeaked it.  Defensively we can argue other games may have gone differently but imo Vertongen isn't a bad player to have come in.  Imo you'll be seeing more of Son instead of Dele over the next few games, he's been extremely poor lately, and Eriksen will be out as soon as Lamela gains fitness.  It is Kane where there is a real worry - yes he's clinical, but in that team nobody else seems to be scoring much at all and his understudies are Llorente and Janssen, both substantial steps down.

Offline Gaz123456

• Legacy Fan
  • 2005 - The best and worst year of my life
    • Elite Financial Planning Consultants
« Reply #6793 on: November 29, 2017, 12:22:28 pm »
They will be back without any question, but we need to take advantage of any run of poor results from our rivals - they are not going to come along very often.

I still think that they have the second best squad behind City.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6794 on: November 29, 2017, 12:26:22 pm »
Absolutely, I actually think Tottenham were very unlucky yesterday, they missed a good 2 clear cut chances middle of the goal which on another night would have seen them win 3-2.  Leicester, even with two top class goals, barely squeaked it.  Defensively we can argue other games may have gone differently but imo Vertongen isn't a bad player to have come in.  Imo you'll be seeing more of Son instead of Dele over the next few games, he's been extremely poor lately, and Eriksen will be out as soon as Lamela gains fitness.  It is Kane where there is a real worry - yes he's clinical, but in that team nobody else seems to be scoring much at all and his understudies are Llorente and Janssen, both substantial steps down.

I think that's why we're arguing Alderwiereld is such a big loss. Because Spurs scoring one or two isnt' unusual, but conceding two and/or being shaky at the back is

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6795 on: November 29, 2017, 12:28:47 pm »
you guys heard they beat Real Madrid?
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #6796 on: November 29, 2017, 12:34:38 pm »
Because Spurs scoring one or two isnt' unusual, but conceding two and/or being shaky at the back is
He missed 8 league games last season and they were fine defensively over that period; this time there is more to it as good as he is. We shouldn't forget that they massively overachieved previous two seasons , considering their wage bill and team investments they had no right being where they were.

Pocchettino squeezed every last drop of talent he had in his squad but the more it goes on the harder it gets as they can't get real quality on their bench in order to rest their main players. That's what's hurting them the most and why it's gonna be year 4 without the title even though their first XI is pretty much good enough for it. But the squad strength is the name of the game.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #6797 on: November 29, 2017, 12:38:14 pm »
you guys heard they beat Real Madrid?

Best team in PL over last 2 seasons mate, so of course they beat Real Madrid.

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #6798 on: November 29, 2017, 12:55:30 pm »
He missed 8 league games last season and they were fine defensively over that period;

Did Wanyama miss those games as well?
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #6799 on: November 29, 2017, 09:57:32 pm »
Bad set of results for Spurs today.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.