Author Topic: Louis Van Gaal was the Manager of Mourinho United  (Read 3913110 times)

Offline Kadian

• Trolling along... The Specious One. Whistles the Liquidator as he types disparaging comments about Mario Balotelli So utterly predictable, Moreno's best mate
  • Legacy Fan
  • We're coming
Re: Louis Van Gaal is the current Manager of Manchester United
« Reply #440 on: May 21, 2014, 10:10:34 am »
Of course you will strengthen, but enough to be able to challenge on all fronts? 4 trophies instead of the one? I doubt that. That's why I said you blew a golden chance to win the title.

That's bullshit isn't? So tell me about Atletico and how they were able do what they did with a small squad? Explain that one for me.

Your post and thoughts are nothing new, and something you would find on a Daily Mail comments page. You're the type who just toes the party line, and the current party line amongst the 90% of the footballing world is 'LIVERPOOL HAD ONLY THE PL TO FIGHT FOR. THEY'RE GOING TO STRUGGLE WITH A SMALL SQUAD NEXT SEASON!!'. No original thinking from you is it? Let's just follow the line being fed by Neville and the rest of the media. That's what a large percentage of football fans do though. You're fed and then you follow.

As for only being 5 points ahead of Arsenal with Ramsey out?

So let's take when we had Suarez out for 5 games, and in two of those 5 games we drew against Swansea and lost to Southampton at home (with Coutinho also out for 4 weeks mid-way through Swansea game). With Suarez and Coutinho there are points to be gained there. No doubts are even needed there. Or how about when we went back to back against City and Chelsea without Sturridge and Gerrard (both being out for 6 and 4 weeks respectively). We picked up 0 points. There is no doubt we would of picked quite a bit more points with those two in.

So how do we see it now? Sturridge out for a combined total of 8 weeks. Gerrard for 4 weeks. Suarez for 4 weeks. Oh and for a period of at least 2 months, our defence was running on scraps with Sakho and Agger out.

You see how stupid your point is?

Genuinely want to hear back from you regarding my Atletico example. Or if you want, ask Neville on Twitter if you like. A squad that has the likes of Sosa, Alderweireld, Adrian and Mario Suarez helping out..... has gone all the way in two competitions.

I mean seriously when was the importance of such a large squad overstated in the media. It's bullshit. I'm going to repeat it, but most football fans can't think for themselves so they just follow the lead of what they hear in a television set. Neville stated it at the start of the season, and since then like it can happen, word spreads like fire and before you know it.... it's the opinion of every man and his dog.

'Of course you will strengthen, but enough to be able to challenge on all fronts? - i mean i just can't even compute that one. Can we strengthen our squad with the addition of at least 3 or 4 more players. It's just going to be so bloody tough isn't it? I wonder how we will be able to do that?

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #441 on: May 21, 2014, 10:16:25 am »

End
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #442 on: May 21, 2014, 10:33:30 am »
That's bullshit isn't? So tell me about Atletico and how they were able do what they did with a small squad? Explain that one for me.
snip
'Of course you will strengthen, but enough to be able to challenge on all fronts? - i mean i just can't even compute that one. Can we strengthen our squad with the addition of at least 3 or 4 more players. It's just going to be so bloody tough isn't it? I wonder how we will be able to do that?
I would go as far as saying that - despite the fact we will recruit 5 or 6 new players - Rodgers sees an advantage in a relatively small squad, one where everyone feels there is an opportunity. In his view - I would guess - team spirit is worth as many points as the ability to bring James Milner off the bench.

Offline Hayer

• World Class Whinger. Sorry, winger.....or was I right the first time.....?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #443 on: May 21, 2014, 10:33:59 am »

Your post and thoughts are nothing new, and something you would find on a Daily Mail comments page. You're the type who just toes the party line, and the current party line amongst the 90% of the footballing world is 'LIVERPOOL HAD ONLY THE PL TO FIGHT FOR. THEY'RE GOING TO STRUGGLE WITH A SMALL SQUAD NEXT SEASON!!'. No original thinking from you is it? Let's just follow the line being fed by Neville and the rest of the media. That's what a large percentage of football fans do though. You're fed and then you follow.

As for only being 5 points ahead of Arsenal with Ramsey out?

So let's take when we had Suarez out for 5 games, and in two of those 5 games we drew against Swansea and lost to Southampton at home (with Coutinho also out for 4 weeks mid-way through Swansea game). With Suarez and Coutinho there are points to be gained there. No doubts are even needed there. Or how about when we went back to back against City and Chelsea without Sturridge and Gerrard (both being out for 6 and 4 weeks respectively). We picked up 0 points. There is no doubt we would of picked quite a bit more points with those two in.

So how do we see it now? Sturridge out for a combined total of 8 weeks. Gerrard for 4 weeks. Suarez for 4 weeks. Oh and for a period of at least 2 months, our defence was running on scraps with Sakho and Agger out.

You see how stupid your point is?

Genuinely want to hear back from you regarding my Atletico example. Or if you want, ask Neville on Twitter if you like. A squad that has the likes of Sosa, Alderweireld, Adrian and Mario Suarez helping out..... has gone all the way in two competitions.

I mean seriously when was the importance of such a large squad overstated in the media. It's bullshit. I'm going to repeat it, but most football fans can't think for themselves so they just follow the lead of what they hear in a television set. Neville stated it at the start of the season, and since then like it can happen, word spreads like fire and before you know it.... it's the opinion of every man and his dog.

Stop your Mourinho love-in and i wouldn't mind you.

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #444 on: May 21, 2014, 10:42:26 am »
But I do think you missed a golden chance last season
Haha! If anyone's shitting themselves in this thread it's you. You can smell the fear of us winning one of the big ones whilst United play catch up from here. It's all over your clichéd drivel.

There'll be no hangover next season. This club has finally woken up to the fact that shitty clubs like City and Chelsea, even with all their money, no longer hold any fears for us. We'll go again. For sure.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 10:45:30 am by cornelius »

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #445 on: May 21, 2014, 10:46:11 am »
I would go as far as saying that - despite the fact we will recruit 5 or 6 new players - Rodgers sees an advantage in a relatively small squad, one where everyone feels there is an opportunity. In his view - I would guess - team spirit is worth as many points as the ability to bring James Milner off the bench.

I'd agree with that, which I think is one reason why we tend to look for versatile players that allow us to fill numerous roles with fewer actual numbers.

A squad of 20/21 at the required level, who are all capable of contributing (plus the youth prospects) would be sufficient, in my view.
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Filmed in front of a live studio audience
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #446 on: May 21, 2014, 10:51:13 am »
More than happy enough to have our chances talked down and it all being put down to luck, to other teams fucking up, to us only playing in the league, blah blah.

Makes it all the more fun if we do what they don't expect, it annoys them even more. Its all just wishful thinking anyway, its what people want to believe, you cant change it by talk, only by showing them. We shall see if we do that again next season, it will be even more fun if we do.
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Jurgen! What is best in life?

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #447 on: May 21, 2014, 10:51:44 am »
Regarding Cantona's "Liverpool will struggle fighting on four fronts" point...off course they will. But I would say this, what team in the history of the English game has been comfortable fighting on 4 fronts?

City with all their millions have still to show they can put in a decent effort in the league AND the CL. Chelsea's season imploded due to squad strain and CL distractions.

It's as if Liverpool are embarking on a feat unknown in modern day sport...OH MY GOSH, EUROPEAN FOOTBALL IS COMING TO KILL US!!! It's all such hyperbolic sesnationist, simplistic garbage designed to create a negative narrative now that Liverpool have stepped up a level compared to the past 5 seasons.

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #448 on: May 21, 2014, 11:38:38 am »
More than happy enough to have our chances talked down and it all being put down to luck, to other teams fucking up, to us only playing in the league, blah blah.

Makes it all the more fun if we do what they don't expect, it annoys them even more. Its all just wishful thinking anyway, its what people want to believe, you cant change it by talk, only by showing them. We shall see if we do that again next season, it will be even more fun if we do.
So right it makes me want to laugh, but if I do, and other supporter sets see, they might clock, or twig, so I musn't, but that makes me more prone to laughter, in fact, so prone to it I'm falling on the floor. I've never felt this way before. I was too young. Brendan Rodger's Liverpool are creating out of me a minstrel of mirth. I like it. I don't think fans of other teams - I call them fannies - do.
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #449 on: May 21, 2014, 12:00:57 pm »
Can anyone link me any good discussions/history on the Dutch football lineage from Michels through Cryuff to Van Gaal etc? I think I remember reading something good about this when we were looking for Kenny's replacement but I can't remember where.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #450 on: May 21, 2014, 12:06:41 pm »

End

deary me, this makes me laugh more than it should. Cheers once again, Chopper. Shame he doesn't look like anyone in a Scottish film from the early 80's

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #451 on: May 21, 2014, 12:12:53 pm »
So with no European football as a "distraction", what excuses will the Mancs have a year from now when they fail to make top 4....never mind 2nd like lucky Liverpool could do.

Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #452 on: May 21, 2014, 12:16:48 pm »
Can anyone link me any good discussions/history on the Dutch football lineage from Michels through Cryuff to Van Gaal etc? I think I remember reading something good about this when we were looking for Kenny's replacement but I can't remember where.

This is possibly the best football book I have ever read, even if a lot of it is not directly about football

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brilliant-Orange-Neurotic-Genius-Football/dp/0747553106
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 01:25:05 pm by cloggypop »

Offline RossoBianchi

• Manc Forum Slut
  • Legacy Fan
  • Peace
« Reply #453 on: May 21, 2014, 12:35:37 pm »
So with no European football as a "distraction", what excuses will the Mancs have a year from now when they fail to make top 4....never mind 2nd like lucky Liverpool could do.

Those pesky bastards Kroos, Fabregas, Hummels and Reus refused to join us.

Offline Dr_Evil

• Anny Roader
Holy fuck lads I got family home. My computer isn't at a hidden place in the house. They saw the penis.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #455 on: May 21, 2014, 12:46:38 pm »
Red cafe,cantona and many more untied fans have this new found swagger back,and after turning as many corners as a nascar season they are gonna be back at the top (sic) and cannot comprehend we're gonna strengthen our weak positions and build a better squad for the extra games.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Online sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #456 on: May 21, 2014, 01:44:58 pm »
Rob Harris ‏@RobHarris  1m
Roy Hodgson on Louis van Gaal getting Man United job: "I can only congratulate Louis on being the chosen one"

Sounds familiar :D

Offline Cantona

• Traore 1 Cantona 0
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #457 on: May 21, 2014, 01:51:25 pm »
Regarding Cantona's "Liverpool will struggle fighting on four fronts" point...off course they will. But I would say this, what team in the history of the English game has been comfortable fighting on 4 fronts?

City with all their millions have still to show they can put in a decent effort in the league AND the CL. Chelsea's season imploded due to squad strain and CL distractions.

It's as if Liverpool are embarking on a feat unknown in modern day sport...OH MY GOSH, EUROPEAN FOOTBALL IS COMING TO KILL US!!! It's all such hyperbolic sesnationist, simplistic garbage designed to create a negative narrative now that Liverpool have stepped up a level compared to the past 5 seasons.

United and Liverpool have both had sides in the past capable of fighting on many fronts.

"EUROPEAN FOOTBALL IS COMING TO KILL US!!" who's being sensationist here really?  All i've said is that I think Liverpool will be unequipped to fight on all fronts next season at the same level you did last season in only the league. Your rivals played about a quarter more games than you did last season, of course it has some effect, and with the spread of points from 1st to 4th being only 7 points, a bad couple of games can end a title challenge early like it did with Arsenal.

I'm not saying you will be crap, or not strengthen, far from it. I just think you had your best chance last season when all your rivals had problems and at the moment you are a couple of seasons off having the squad Rodgers is building to challenge on all fronts.
When ze seagulls follow ze trawler....

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #458 on: May 21, 2014, 02:10:14 pm »
All i've said is that I think Liverpool will be unequipped to fight on all fronts next season at the same level you did last season in only the league.
How can you say that before the transfer window shuts? Also, we'll clearly be binning off the capital one cup i.e. putting out the youngsters. And if we're as ill equipped as people like yourself are making out, then we'll only be playing 6 extra games (or maybe 8 if we're flukey enough to emerge from the impossible group of death that we've been promised).

Yeah you could argue that Europe might cost us a few points but that is based on last season's squad. If we add the quality we're looking for over the summer, that will redress the balance and we'll make those points up.

Chelsea and City aren't in as great a shape as everybody seems to think either. Christ, we've just proved it.

Basically what you're saying is City, Chelsea, Arsenal and United will all definitely improve...and we won't. Hmm I wonder why you would think like that.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 02:12:07 pm by cornelius »

Online Runehammer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #459 on: May 21, 2014, 02:12:16 pm »
deary me, this makes me laugh more than it should. Cheers once again, Chopper. Shame he doesn't look like anyone in a Scottish film from the early 80's

Not film but he definitely reminds me a little of Kenny Burns at Forest.

Offline Kadian

• Trolling along... The Specious One. Whistles the Liquidator as he types disparaging comments about Mario Balotelli So utterly predictable, Moreno's best mate
  • Legacy Fan
  • We're coming
« Reply #460 on: May 21, 2014, 02:15:27 pm »
I'm not saying you will be crap, or not strengthen, far from it. I just think you had your best chance last season when all your rivals had problems and at the moment you are a couple of seasons off having the squad Rodgers is building to challenge on all fronts.

Our rivals had problems did they? So did we though. Our defence being one. How can you play with that reasoning for them, but not for ourselves? And please don't bring having to play the CL next season being such a big handicap. It's bullshit.

So just to set this straight, you're assuming City and Chelsea will improve and we won't? How does that work then? Even though we're all coming from the same starting point with different areas to improve. Chelsea need a striker. City need erm a new centre back (how much more is that going to improve them?), and with ourselves it's our defence.

Soft reasoning. This is all just straight out of Neville's mouth too. It's amazing.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #461 on: May 21, 2014, 02:20:55 pm »
Where are all the other mancs that used to be on here?

Were they all left too traumatised by the Moyes thread?
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Kadian

• Legacy Fan
  • We're coming
« Reply #462 on: May 21, 2014, 02:22:05 pm »
All i've said is that I think Liverpool will be unequipped to fight on all fronts next season at the same level you did last season in only the league. Your rivals played about a quarter more games than you did last season, of course it has some effect,

But run this by me, we'll have a bigger squad to cope with the extra 10-20 games?

Seriously what the hell are you going on about? Do you really not think we're not going into the squad with a more beefed up squad with the required quality to rotate a bit here and there. In fact. we have the resources to be better equipped than the example of Atletico this season.

Stop reciting everything Neville has said. This is word for word, his argument about us after the Palace game.

Offline RossoBianchi

• Manc Forum Slut
  • Legacy Fan
  • Peace
« Reply #463 on: May 21, 2014, 02:22:43 pm »
Let's get back to Van Gaal... quite liked this today from a Dutch journalist writing to British journos...

http://www.nrc.nl/nieuws/2014/05/21/british-journalists-follow-these-ten-rules-for-interviewing-louis-van-gaal/

Dear British football journalists,
Congratulations on obtaining Louis van Gaal. From this moment on, you will be patronised, looked at with disdain, and haunted by a constant doubt if Mr. Van Gaal is flat out making fun of you or being deadly serious. Before you embark on the journey that is having a post match interview with Mr. Van Gaal, you should make yourself familiar with these ten ground rules.

1. Be prepared for any possible mood. Contrary to many other managers, whether the match is won, drawn or lost is no indication whatsoever of Van Gaal’s mood. Even if he has won and seems to be quite happy, one wrong question can - and will - put him off.

2. Start neutral Begin with a question about the match just played. “How did your team do?” or “What did you think?” will suffice. “You must be very disappointed” will not. That is because the match you saw and the match he saw can be very different ones. Mr. Van Gaal is perfectly comfortable declaring that a 0-3 loss at home to Sunderland was his team’s best game all season, just because his players were doing what he told them to do. It’s not always about what ends up on the scoreboard. Don’t enter the interview thinking it is.

3. Don’t introduce yourself Or else he’ll know your name, remember it and use it against you. You will not be some anonymous guy with a microphone and a cameraman on his side; you will be Gary, or Clive, or Tony, with whom he will or will not have a feud from the get-go. (He will.)

4. Stay on topic If the interview’s about the game, you talk about the game. Not about the next game, transfer rumours or whatever happened on the training pitch. Every question about anything else than the game just played will derail the conversation.

5. It’s his language now, not yours Mr. Van Gaal will come up with new additions to the Oxford Dictionary. In Germany, he inadvertently (or was it?) introduced the phrase Der Tod oder die Gladiolen, a Dutch saying meaning literally “death or the gladioli”: all or nothing. This is because if Mr. Van Gaal speaks your language, it is no longer your language, it’s his. It is not Mr. Van Gaal who has trouble speaking English, it is you, for not going along with his obviously much better interpretation of it.

6. Try to avoid the meta-interview. An interview with Mr. Van Gaal will almost inevitably wind up being an interview about the interview, or more specifically, him asking questions about your questions. This will be the moment you feel the conversation is slipping away from you. Switch back to the studio, or it will end up on YouTube.

7. Don’t repeat the question. Never mind - you will fail at this. You won’t fool him, even if you think your follow-up question is a cleverly rephrased, well disguised one. He’ll say: “I just told you”. This is inevitable. Don’t try to avoid it, just try to get past it without crashing, like you would at a speed bump.

8. Keep on your toes. At some point, you will think Mr. Van Gaal is joking. Sure, he does it with a straight face, but he’s joking, he must be. He’s mocking you. Or is he really this angry about this little thing you just said? No - it can’t be. You start to stammer. Ha! He’s just taking a… wait, is he? You will never know, as only Mr. Van Gaal knows. And he never breaks character.

9. Distinguish fact from opinion This is hard, as only Mr. Van Gaal can determine which are facts and which are opinions. Which team was disadvantaged by the ref, or which team should have won based on the number of chances? He, and only he, will have the answer. These are the facts. Your facts are opinions. After the 1-1 draw of Holland against Ecuador last Saturday, he called the 0-1 an “unfortunate ball moment”: nothing to do about it. In Mr. Van Gaal’s world, this makes perfect sense. In your world it may not, but you are not to point this out, as he will call you dumb.

10. Stay under three minutes Try to get everything you need within that window. After that, the chances of hitting a conversational speed bump will statistically rise. You’ll start wandering into other realms of conversation (how about this or that rumour, Mr. Van Gaal?), or you will ask a question a second time, or he will say you did. After that, you’re on your own. Good luck, mate.

No. 5  ;D

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #464 on: May 21, 2014, 02:26:09 pm »
Let's get back to Van Gaal... quite liked this today from a Dutch journalist writing to British journos...

http://www.nrc.nl/nieuws/2014/05/21/british-journalists-follow-these-ten-rules-for-interviewing-louis-van-gaal/

No. 5  ;D

He's a Morrissey fan then. Picked the right club at least.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #465 on: May 21, 2014, 02:29:30 pm »

No. 5  ;D

<<insert popcorn gif>>

:D
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #466 on: May 21, 2014, 02:42:13 pm »
realistically, i can't disagree with too much of what cantona says, but i look forward to him being proved wrong :)
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #467 on: May 21, 2014, 02:49:36 pm »

No. 5  ;D

I particularly enjoyed #6: "Avoid the meta-interview."  ;D
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #468 on: May 21, 2014, 02:51:03 pm »
So, he's a media wet dream. Well done Man U you're about to become a circus of fun for everyone.
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline RossoBianchi

• Manc Forum Slut
  • Legacy Fan
  • Peace
« Reply #469 on: May 21, 2014, 02:55:43 pm »
So, he's a media wet dream. Well done Man U you're about to become a circus of fun for everyone.

Says those who were crowing over Kenny's disdain for the press two years ago? ;)

I can't fucking wait. We've had to put up with The Fear for ten months and now he's gone, I can enjoy football again safe in the knowledge we're being led by a bona fide, world class, take-no-shit manager with big orange bollocks.

Online cissesbeard

• Kopite
« Reply #470 on: May 21, 2014, 03:03:56 pm »
How can you say that before the transfer window shuts? Also, we'll clearly be binning off the capital one cup i.e. putting out the youngsters. And if we're as ill equipped as people like yourself are making out, then we'll only be playing 6 extra games (or maybe 8 if we're flukey enough to emerge from the impossible group of death that we've been promised).

Yeah you could argue that Europe might cost us a few points but that is based on last season's squad. If we add the quality we're looking for over the summer, that will redress the balance and we'll make those points up.

Chelsea and City aren't in as great a shape as everybody seems to think either. Christ, we've just proved it.

this is the point I keep telling my mates - Europe might only bring 6 extra games, so the effect on the league might not be as bad as people are making out. defo play the kids in the league cup, possibly get a tough group in the cl and if we don't make it out of the group I don't see people slating Brendan too much as its his first attempt. fa cup is worth winning but if we went out in the third round I wouldn't lose much sleep over it. the league is going be very competitive - think there could be 4 teams still going for the league in the last few weeks.

Offline Mouth

• Legacy Fan
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #471 on: May 21, 2014, 03:19:10 pm »
Says those who were crowing over Kenny's disdain for the press two years ago? ;)

I can't fucking wait. We've had to put up with The Fear for ten months and now he's gone, I can enjoy football again safe in the knowledge we're being led by a bona fide, world class, take-no-shit manager with big orange bollocks.
That's not the outline of a man with disdain, that's a loony the papers will go out of their way to fuck with in order to generate crap to print. Its not a good thing.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #472 on: May 21, 2014, 03:20:13 pm »
4 trophies instead of the one?

?
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline RossoBianchi

• Manc Forum Slut
  • Legacy Fan
  • Peace
« Reply #473 on: May 21, 2014, 03:29:57 pm »
That's not the outline of a man with disdain, that's a loony the papers will go out of their way to fuck with in order to generate crap to print. Its not a good thing.

Can see it both ways. However if it helps create a siege mentality against the press, I'm all for it.

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #474 on: May 21, 2014, 03:34:05 pm »
In terms of pedigree, Van Gaal was arguably the outstanding candidate. This is an experienced manager with a big enough character and reputation to take on the job. But like many of the alternatives, his arrival does not come without risk.

The retirement of Ferguson was an opportunity to build a modern club with a structure that could more easily survive the exit of one man. Instead, United are in danger of exchanging one 'dictatorship' for another - with no guarantee this one will prove quite so benevolent.

Van Gaal's abrasive character is the stuff of legend and is not well-suited to rule by consensus. As Bayern Munich's former sporting director Christian Nerlinger put it: "He must realise that in this club there are other people who are also responsible for sporting matters." If United are to give Van Gaal the control he reporedly craves, it would represent something of a leap of faith.

At least there will be a clear philosophy on the field, although the practical problems of inheriting a squad not of his making can be easily anticipated. Van Gaal's 4-3-3 is likely to feature Van Persie in the central role but will surely force either Rooney or Mata away from their favoured position - not ideal when each has just signed a lucrative new long-term contract at the club.

Even that relationship with Van Persie must be regarded as subject to change ahead of Van Gaal taking charge of Holland at the forthcoming World Cup. Indeed, that tournament threatens to shape the thinking on the new man before he even arrives.

United could be appointing the World Cup-winning coach. However, they could also be appointing Van Gaal only to see his Dutch side crash out of a group that includes Spain and Chile - leading some to conclude that his best days are behind him. Just two league titles (one in Holland and one in Germany) since the turn of the century certainly leave the CV open to (mis)interpretation.

It might seem strange to style a World Cup in Brazil as a distraction, but that's surely how United will see it. Moyes complained of a lack of time in last summer's window, but he was in his Carrington office for the start of July. Van Gaal will want to be preparing for a World Cup quarter-final on that date this time around.

That's far from ideal given the issues that will need to be addressed and places much of the workload on Ed Woodward in what ought to be a busy summer of business. Senior players must be moved on and the team reshaped and renewed for a pivotal campaign.

Last summer that change didn't happen as Moyes' idea of transition was to rip out the coaching staff but retain the ageing players. Now Van Gaal must institute the necessary changes on the field and do so against the backdrop of huge pressure to return to the top four. At least there is no European football to sway him from his focus.

What is clear is that United have discovered to their cost the transient nature of stability. Anyone can make a managerial appointment that goes wrong. It's two poor managerial decisions in a row that really scuppers you. For that reason, United will be anxious for Van Gaal's reign to start well. Anything less could prove a big problem indeed.
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.
Adios Rafa, buena suerte.

Some people say I'm a dreamer...

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #475 on: May 21, 2014, 04:03:00 pm »

Its very likely they don't finish top 4 next season and please God don't let them.

How beautiful would it be to shove 'but you only challenged because you didn't have European football' up their arses?

Offline Mouth

• Legacy Fan
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #476 on: May 21, 2014, 04:12:29 pm »
Can see it both ways. However if it helps create a siege mentality against the press, I'm all for it.
Not if he is doing this sort of shit to the players as well, which it sounds like is exactly what he does. Then they start leaking to the press and you have a perfect storm, a shit storm and your club is in the middle of it.

But it could still go either way, fun thing for us is watching to see what happens, much like it was for you watching us lurch, stumbling from fuck up to fuck up.

Offline Tumbleweed

• Anny Roader
  • Pax Bisonica
« Reply #477 on: May 21, 2014, 04:28:32 pm »
Van Gaal sounds perfect for them. I can't wait to see what kind of damage he can inflict. I mean that post about his relationship with the media could've been about old red nose himself. I imagine if things fail to start well and pressure starts to mount we'll see one hell of a spectacular implosion over in Manchester.

Here's to 1000 pages of this thread :hally
“To wage war three things are necessary; money, money, and yet more money”
Gian-Jacopo Trivulzio, Marshall of France (1499)

"The club always goes on. You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club"
Jürgen Klopp (2018)

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #478 on: May 21, 2014, 04:30:59 pm »
Roy Hodgson claims he could organise a pub team to stop Man Utd in six months

‘You can organise a pub team not to let in six goals against Manchester United,’ he said. ‘Give me six months and I’d organise them, if they had a half-decent goalkeeper and a couple of centre halves who can get in the way of the ball.’

World Soccer magazine
"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #479 on: May 21, 2014, 04:43:49 pm »
What the Mancs don't realize, or are overlooking, is the Fergie to The Chosen One and now their Dutch master has shown a lack of a competent succession plan to when Fergie retired.

The Glazers aren't football people and let the board decide. Or more pertinent, Fergie decide. Their billion £ business is being run like a corner shop on the football side of things.

The football people have left the board. And by that i mean the ones who made serious corporate decisions. Not ex-football people who are left to their own whims.

So they went with the Chosen One for 6 years. And now they have their Dutch master from an ad hoc semi-panic situation because the Chosen One failed in his first season.

It appears the decision was to get someone with more of a pedigree than one who never won anything. Almost like the media made the decisions for them.

When Van Gaal fails, which i suspect he will, the next step will be to go back to their "boot room" or Class of 92. Which will fail as well.

They are going through the same cycle we went through when Rafa was sent packing. "steady hands" first in Roy. Boot Room second in King Kenny to appease the supporters. But FSG decided to look at the situation and think long term strategy. Get a manager in who could impose the strategy. And at the time that was to build the club around a certain philosophy from youth to first team where the players could be interchanged and so too could the manager if he didn't cut it. For us Brendan Rodgers cut it. If something happened to Brendan or he left for greener pastures ( which I don't see happening), then the "model' is there for someone to step into. FSG will look for another manager who shares the same style and philosophy Not pedigree and not boot room.

Newness, Van Gaal, will give them some optimism. Just like every manager change we've had. But it seems to me they have no plan other than to toss darts at the board and see where it lands.

The Glazers and Man Utd are years from from discovering what they should do. Hence why, imho, Man Utd will continue to struggle. We've been there, done that, and recycled the tee shirt.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.