Author Topic: It's just a battle for the order of the first 4 spots now between 5 teams...  (Read 559044 times)

Offline Mashy-rawr!nooo

• Oordeers friiees wiith hiis whoopers!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Once upon a time.....
Re: Is it just a battle for 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st spot with 4 other teams now?
« Reply #2480 on: February 23, 2014, 09:52:45 pm »
And this is why I dislike this part of the season.  Every win makes us feel a step closer yet we're still a way to go.

Consistency is what makes top four teams.  We've done that by and large this season. 
My Grammar is shit. I no it and you no it.
They're Stoke. They throw sticks at aeroplanes there

Offline Tonyh

• Tony get the shots in (after 7pm)
  • Legacy Fan
  • .............is the final piece of the jigsaw!
« Reply #2481 on: February 23, 2014, 09:54:57 pm »
Simple now, 4th is ours unless we fuck up, 3rd and above is up to us consistently winning our games!
Let's also never forget the 39!

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2482 on: February 23, 2014, 09:55:16 pm »
Think people can stop thinking about Spurs, Everton and Utd and look towards City, Chelsea and Arsenal now. There is no reason with our fixture why we shouldn't gain ground on all of those over the next few weeks. We will win the league this season.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #2483 on: February 23, 2014, 09:55:56 pm »
We're nearer to 1st than 5th.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline ebbenebs

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2484 on: February 23, 2014, 09:57:29 pm »
11 points is a lot, but we might lose to Southampton, United, City, Chelsea and Tottenham. Thats 15 points dropped. I wont celebrate until its over in may.

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #2485 on: February 23, 2014, 09:58:42 pm »
11 points is a lot, but we might lose to Southampton, United, City, Chelsea and Tottenham. Thats 15 points dropped. I wont celebrate until its over in may.

That's how I see it as well. It's not done till it's done.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #2486 on: February 23, 2014, 10:00:52 pm »
It's not mathematically impossible, and I suppose stranger things have happened (3-0 down at half time in European cup finals and coming back to win and stuff like that)... but it would take a monumental collapse from us, and a huge improvement in performances and results from Spurs/United for them to break into the top 4 this season now. Of course complacency is never good, but if we want to be fighting with Europe's elite again, we have to claim back a bit of confidence and swagger and look up the table, not down.
And it's not only the points, the psychological factor is in our favor after opening that gap. We know now that we can afford a bit of a slip and still land a CL spot. This actually takes pressure off of the team and makes a fuckup even less likely.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #2487 on: February 23, 2014, 10:04:07 pm »
After the weekends results I think its fair to start looking up rather than down.
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline Hij

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #2488 on: February 23, 2014, 10:06:05 pm »

Of course no-one should be celebrating yet- would be fool hardy to do so.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2489 on: February 23, 2014, 10:07:09 pm »

or we'll beat every one of them.  that's 15 gained.

Offline Tom18

• Kopite
« Reply #2490 on: February 23, 2014, 10:12:02 pm »
The dreamer inside me is beginning to start looking up realistically now. I think I shared the sentiments of many other posters of having other teams hauling us in, with Spurs eventually catching us up and it going right to the wire, Spurs losing today though gives us a 6 point gap which I think is too much considering how many games are left in the season, and others having commitments in Europe.

I just think it is fantastic how far we have come under Brendan so quickly, really is testament to him and the players.

Just have to give an occasional glance over our shoulder to make sure they stay where they are supposed to.

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2491 on: February 23, 2014, 10:12:45 pm »
if Spurs or Utd finish 4th, it will be ahead of Arsenal. Not us.

In fact, Utd are more likely to win the CL than finish 4th.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 10:15:34 pm by LFC_when_it_suits »

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #2492 on: February 23, 2014, 10:13:16 pm »
If West Ham can win 4 in row then it it is quite possible United can also, I agree they look very poor under Moyes but stranger things have happened in football.

United need to win four more than us in the last eleven games, not four in a row. If we lose four between now and the end of the season (we've lost 5 in the first 27) and win the rest they would need to win eleven in a row, not four.

We're averaging 2 points a game which would give us 78 points (56 + 22). If United win every game they would be on the same number of points (45 + 33) but would have to improve their goal difference by +23.

Of course it's possible but it would need a huge turnaround in form by both sides.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Mali1

• No chance. Not all. Never. Hope died long ago, left dangling pitifully and listlessly from my tree of despondency and despair. Oh yes.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #2493 on: February 23, 2014, 10:13:43 pm »
We should aim for 3rd in case one of them win CL

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2494 on: February 23, 2014, 10:15:30 pm »
We should aim for 3rd in case one of them win CL
And / or to avoid big teams in play-offs.

Offline Liverbird27

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2495 on: February 23, 2014, 10:16:51 pm »
I'm glad we have that incentive of being close to top spot, meaning that there's no sense of complacency creeping in and that just makes it even harder for the likes of Spurs. Our mindset is not to protect our current position in the top 4, but instead we're trying to push to close the gap at the top, and that could increase the gap between 4th and 5th (sort of like how the gap between us and Utd/Everton has formed)....  we're the better side and that may tell if we have the incentive to keep performing to our best.

And like mentioned before, we are closer to 1st than 5th..... a fantastic position to be in with 11 games left. Who'd have thought that at the beginning of the season?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 10:22:07 pm by Liverbird27 »

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2496 on: February 23, 2014, 10:17:05 pm »
United need us to lose 4 more games than them over the next 11.

It would be the strangest thing yet.

Maybe but still very possible, I'm just glad it is in our hands to be honest.

I had us down as reaching 70 points tops at the start of the season and 5/6th spot. To still be in touch of those  teams at the top at this stage is fantastic.

Offline ebbenebs

• Main Stander
« Reply #2497 on: February 23, 2014, 10:17:35 pm »
Of course no-one should be celebrating yet- would be fool hardy to do so.

or we'll beat every one of them.  that's 15 gained.

Point is, all this talk about looking up the table rather than down, is a bit premature. Of course its good to believe in great things to happen this season, but we have difficult away games coming up, and suddenly the gap could be down to 5 points after the next two rounds.

With 5 points and 9 games to go, who knows what might happen. United lost a 8 point lead to City with 5 games to go. And we still have City, Chelsea and Spurs at Anfield, and might lose all three.

If we can beat Southampton, and avoid loss to United, I will feel a lot more optimistic.

Offline Tom18

• Kopite
« Reply #2498 on: February 23, 2014, 10:21:25 pm »
Agree that the games against Southampton and United will be indicators for if we finish in the top 4,  provided we do the business against the rest.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #2499 on: February 23, 2014, 10:31:49 pm »
Point is, all this talk about looking up the table rather than down, is a bit premature. Of course its good to believe in great things to happen this season, but we have difficult away games coming up, and suddenly the gap could be down to 5 points after the next two rounds.

With 5 points and 9 games to go, who knows what might happen. United lost a 8 point lead to City with 5 games to go. And we still have City, Chelsea and Spurs at Anfield, and might lose all three.

If we can beat Southampton, and avoid loss to United, I will feel a lot more optimistic.

It's not premature at all. We're closer to 1st than 5th. We're in the title race
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2500 on: February 23, 2014, 10:32:15 pm »
Don't really need to worry about Spurs, Everton or United until we play them or unless you want to. Its all in our hands now. If we continue winning, there is nothing they can do

Offline ebbenebs

• Main Stander
« Reply #2501 on: February 23, 2014, 10:44:48 pm »
It's not premature at all. We're closer to 1st than 5th. We're in the title race

Yes, but after the next two games, we could very well be 10 points off first, and 5 points clear off United at 5th.

Or we could win both and be 14/17 points clear off united.

Dont get me wrong, I'm more optimistic now than ive been for a long time, but we shouldnt count our chickens before they´ve been hatched.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2502 on: February 23, 2014, 10:45:53 pm »
Yes, but after the next two games, we could very well be 10 points off first, and 5 points clear off United at 5th.

Or we could win both and be 14 points clear off united.

Dont get me wrong, I'm more optimistic now than ive been for a long time, but we shouldnt count our chickens before they´ve been hatched.

you're optimistic?.  ;D

Look up not down.

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2503 on: February 23, 2014, 10:49:56 pm »

Yes, but even if we lose both next games, we will still be 4th. That's a sight to behold in itself! And then we have an easier program to reopen the gap before we play City.

Offline Macedonian Red Reborn

• Self-professed wool
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2504 on: February 23, 2014, 10:53:28 pm »

"If I wanted you to understand, I'd have explained it better" Johan Cruyff

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.

Offline TheDarkKnight

• Anny Roader
  • Brendan Rodgers' Tricky Reds
« Reply #2506 on: February 23, 2014, 10:56:28 pm »
Might be stating the obvious here but our next two matches will potentially define our season.

Southampton away and Manchester United away.

Southampton lost yesterday at West Ham but that's never an easy place to go. They're a different animal at St Mary's from what I've seen. Just the three defeats there this season - the first was 2-3 to Aston Villa in one of those mad games where one team (Southampton) absolutely battered their opponents but the other team (Villa) took literally every chance they had. Saints got beat 2-3 by Tottenham at home, but I just looked at the Saints team that day and it was down to its bare bones; Gazzaniga was in goal, a big downgrade on Boruc and the left side of their defence, rather than the very impressive duo of Lovren and Shaw was the Championship-standard Hooiveld and Fox. So it's hard to judge them on that. Chelsea won 0-3 there, the only team to win there with real conviction. Either side of that Man City and Arsenal were very fortunate to escape with a point from St Mary's. Oh, and they are our bogey team; we were well beaten there last season, 3-1, and obviously they are the only team to come away from Anfield this season with a victory. I know if you look at the table it might appear that they have nowt to play for and so in theory it shouldn't be as tough but they will likely have their first choice XI back for it and their players and manager will be desperate to complete the double over one of the best teams in the country.

Obviously Man Utd have become a bit of a laughing stock this season especially with some of their results at Old Trafford but they also appear to injury-free at the moment and you can bet your bottom dollar that they raise their game for our visit. Plus they'll see it as a must-win - lose and they know that 4th is absolutely beyond them. So it will be tough, perhaps not to its usual extent but certainly far from the easy game that some may be hoping for.

If we get no points from those two games then the title will be beyond us and one or two teams may be back in the scrap for 4th. One point and the title is probably a foregone conclusion still. Two draws wouldn't be bad by any means, and would certainly give me confidence with regards to our top four ambitions but to maintain any hope of the title we need to win at least one. Win and a draw would be a fantastic return. Win both and I'm in dreamland.

Shame the Sunderland game in between is postponed, but yeah, I'm going to refrain from discussing whether our target should be 1st, 3rd or 4th until after these next two humongous fixtures.

Offline Hij

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #2507 on: February 23, 2014, 10:57:42 pm »

Ultimately we can look whichever way we want. It's just a league table.

It's a battle of half full and and half empty pint glasses.

I could counter you and say we could win the next 4 in a row.

Nothing wrong with enjoying being in this position though, we might not be counting the chickens, but we're certainly collecting the eggs.

It's the most points we've had at this stage since 87/88 according to another poster- nothing wrong with a bit of confidence. Football would never be any fun if we thought it was all going to come crashing around our ears every week.

In previous seasons it would be US 6 points behind, US hoping to win a few and get back in, now it's THEM.

As a snapshop of the season, we're more than on target. Some of the other clubs have difficult games and need to continue to win, win win, to cut gaps. We're on 2.07 points per games have room to manoeuvre and still get 76 or more points.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 11:04:17 pm by Hij »

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #2508 on: February 23, 2014, 11:01:01 pm »

Nobody's counting chickens prematurely.

But until the games are actually played, we are 4 points off 1st place.

That's something to be positive about. It's also a position from which we can look confidently into the future. 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 11:06:47 pm by PhaseOfPlay »
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Hij

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #2509 on: February 23, 2014, 11:04:38 pm »
We can afford to lose 4 games and still get 76 easier than the rest.

We need 20 points to get 76. - 6 wins, 1 draw, 4 losses - 54% Win Ratio - 1.82 points per game

Tottenham need 26 points to get 76. - 8 wins, 1 draw, 2 losses - 72% Win Ratio - 2.36 points per game.

Man U and Everton need 31 points to get 76. 10 wins, 1 draw, no losses - 90% Win Ratio  - 2.81 points per game.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 11:06:18 pm by Hij »

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2510 on: February 23, 2014, 11:06:10 pm »
I doubt we're quite up to title winning standards yet but we've done brilliantly and as last season we're stronger in the second half of the season. That gives us an outside chance. Certainly it feels like we have a manager who can build us a league win perhaps more than being a cup winning manager.

Offline Istanbul, 2005

• Strong believer in UKIP's domestic and European policies.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mersey paradise
« Reply #2511 on: February 23, 2014, 11:06:17 pm »
Still think United have a 20% chance of catching us, considering their fixtures. If they drop points in any of their 4 coming games I can´t see them catch us, they really need to get 12points and if that happens they are probably favorites to get 4th since they got nothing to "lose" and easy fixtures and we´ll have more nervous games like today where we can easily drop points. If I remember correctly in 11/12 United were 8points infront of City when there were like 5-6 games left of the season ? A couple of bad results and everything can happen.

I honestly still see United as a bigger threat to top4 then Spurs.
At Half time AC thought they had us beat
The Blueshite were dancing in the North Wales Streets
But Stevie G played like a man posessed
And all they have now is their Bitterness!

How do you sleep at night Duckenfield?

Offline ebbenebs

• Main Stander
« Reply #2512 on: February 23, 2014, 11:06:24 pm »
As I said, I am optimistic. I do believe we will get at least 4th, and I do believe we will beat both Southampton and United away. Im just saying we could face quite a different scenario after the next two rounds. And if the gap down to 5th drops to 1-5 points, the psychological aspect is quite different.

And if we do lose both games, the pressure against city, chelsea and spurs would be massive.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #2513 on: February 23, 2014, 11:06:45 pm »
We've been going at 2 points per game all season.

Pretty consistent actually.  I expect this to continue.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #2514 on: February 23, 2014, 11:07:25 pm »
Might be stating the obvious here but our next two matches will potentially define our season.

Southampton away and Manchester United away.

Southampton lost yesterday at West Ham but that's never an easy place to go. They're a different animal at St Mary's from what I've seen. Just the three defeats there this season - the first was 2-3 to Aston Villa in one of those mad games where one team (Southampton) absolutely battered their opponents but the other team (Villa) took literally every chance they had. Saints got beat 2-3 by Tottenham at home, but I just looked at the Saints team that day and it was down to its bare bones; Gazzaniga was in goal, a big downgrade on Boruc and the left side of their defence, rather than the very impressive duo of Lovren and Shaw was the Championship-standard Hooiveld and Fox. So it's hard to judge them on that. Chelsea won 0-3 there, the only team to win there with real conviction. Either side of that Man City and Arsenal were very fortunate to escape with a point from St Mary's. Oh, and they are our bogey team; we were well beaten there last season, 3-1, and obviously they are the only team to come away from Anfield this season with a victory. I know if you look at the table it might appear that they have nowt to play for and so in theory it shouldn't be as tough but they will likely have their first choice XI back for it and their players and manager will be desperate to complete the double over one of the best teams in the country.

Obviously Man Utd have become a bit of a laughing stock this season especially with some of their results at Old Trafford but they also appear to injury-free at the moment and you can bet your bottom dollar that they raise their game for our visit. Plus they'll see it as a must-win - lose and they know that 4th is absolutely beyond them. So it will be tough, perhaps not to its usual extent but certainly far from the easy game that some may be hoping for.

If we get no points from those two games then the title will be beyond us and one or two teams may be back in the scrap for 4th. One point and the title is probably a foregone conclusion still. Two draws wouldn't be bad by any means, and would certainly give me confidence with regards to our top four ambitions but to maintain any hope of the title we need to win at least one. Win and a draw would be a fantastic return. Win both and I'm in dreamland.

Shame the Sunderland game in between is postponed, but yeah, I'm going to refrain from discussing whether our target should be 1st, 3rd or 4th until after these next two humongous fixtures.

boss post mate....
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Hij

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #2515 on: February 23, 2014, 11:08:14 pm »
Still think United have a 20% chance of catching us, considering their fixtures. If they drop points in any of their 4 coming games I can´t see them catch us, they really need to get 12points and if that happens they are probably favorites to get 4th since they got nothing to "lose" and easy fixtures and we´ll have more nervous games like today where we can easily drop points. If I remember correctly in 11/12 United were 8points infront of City when there were like 5-6 games left of the season ? A couple of bad results and everything can happen.

I honestly still see United as a bigger threat to top4 then Spurs.

To get 76 points they'd have to win 10 games, and draw one. They still have Liverpool Home, Man City Home, Everton Away.

They could lose to Man City and draw to one of us and Everton.

Offline Macedonian Red Reborn

• Self-professed wool
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2516 on: February 23, 2014, 11:09:12 pm »
Still think United have a 20% chance of catching us, considering their fixtures.

They are yet to play us. That makes them 14 points behind us.
"If I wanted you to understand, I'd have explained it better" Johan Cruyff

Offline Hij

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #2517 on: February 23, 2014, 11:10:03 pm »

No mate, we've already lost that one.

They'll have "nothing to lose", be "injury free" etc. We have no chance. Mark it down as a loss and save yourself the time.

Offline Son of Stag

• Main Stander
« Reply #2518 on: February 23, 2014, 11:11:14 pm »
Fuck united, concentrate on catchin chelsea.

Offline turkish kopite

• Legacy Fan
  • Black&White, Believe&Fight
« Reply #2519 on: February 23, 2014, 11:13:14 pm »
No mate, we've already lost that one.

They'll have "nothing to lose", be "injury free" etc. We you have no chance. Mark it down as a loss and save yourself the time.

howard webb detected!  :) :) :)
"Waiting for Vodafone Arena to win League Titles"