Author Topic: It's just a battle for the order of the first 4 spots now between 5 teams...  (Read 560687 times)

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Is it just a battle for 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st spot with 4 other teams now?
« Reply #2280 on: February 21, 2014, 08:57:12 am »
Let's fucking twat these welsh gobshites

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #2281 on: February 21, 2014, 09:01:50 am »
How would you phrase it then

'Let us not count our chickens or tempt the football gods or indeed tempt providence of any sort, and let us not shouteth the odds and fall into the trap of believing or assuming that others may fall when they themselves are striving for their own means and ends and let us always, at all times remember to playeth one game at a time and that Pride comes before a fall...particularly at Old Trafford'

might need to use a smaller font...

They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2282 on: February 21, 2014, 09:03:04 am »
lets just calm down a little.Concentrate adn win our game first before all of this we could be two off top spot etc etc.Too many people just assume we will win.Do our job and we can then start to do the calculations etc.Just concentrate on us going out and obtaining 3 points.Lets not forget its most likely theyll be pressure on us playign catch up from saturdays matches.Never easy despite the opposition
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline rothers

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #2283 on: February 21, 2014, 09:10:16 am »
Cracking post mate.

Loving this post!

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2284 on: February 21, 2014, 09:20:44 am »
Oh no. You've tempted fate. Relegation scrap for us next season, folks.

Offline Syntexity

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2285 on: February 21, 2014, 09:25:23 am »
All that matters is the three points against Swansea, we can only affect our own games. We can of course hope for others to lose points, but as long as we win I am happy. We have a very difficult game coming up against Southampton who we have really struggled against. Their pressing game has really been overwhelming for our team, we have not been able to cope with it.

Offline MihawkLFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • Meh.
« Reply #2286 on: February 21, 2014, 09:43:42 am »
Nothing can be ruled out. We can go and win 12 Games, we can go and loose the next 6. So to rule Spurs out if they're 6 points adrift is risky.
I think we can rule Spurs out after the Game at Anfield against them, if we happen to win it of course.

Offline Springbok

• Boys Pen
« Reply #2287 on: February 21, 2014, 09:47:15 am »
One game at a time, if we continue winning then anything is possible. Lets see off Swansea first then look at how other results have affected us. Come on you Reds! :)

Offline Robotforaday

• Fifty shades off white
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2288 on: February 21, 2014, 10:41:10 am »
why?

Rafa is a great manager but he is not our manager now,and if its got to do with how they play in Europe,did you not see the game last night?

Swansea could and should have won 2/3-0

I think you're missing a key point about Rafa's approach to Europe. He wins over two legs. I agree that Napoli didn't look so hot last night, but he's gone into the second leg in a position to win and go through - as so many times before with Valencia, Liverpool, and Chelsea. He's a master of winning over 180 minutes.

I absolutely agree that he would be dangerous to meet in the qualifying rounds.

Offline Kadian

• Trolling along... The Specious One. Whistles the Liquidator as he types disparaging comments about Mario Balotelli So utterly predictable, Moreno's best mate
  • Legacy Fan
  • We're coming
« Reply #2289 on: February 21, 2014, 11:48:03 am »
I think we'll finish 2nd or 3rd and fall short just like in 01/02 and 08/09. It's becoming a bad pattern, when we do challenge we seem to be a few points short. That one great season we have once in a while, just always seems to be that bit short.

We'll get something like 80-83 points and miss out on the title by 4 or 5 points is my prediction.

Offline nico 8

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2290 on: February 21, 2014, 12:21:39 pm »
All that matters is the three points against Swansea, we can only affect our own games. We can of course hope for others to lose points, but as long as we win I am happy. We have a very difficult game coming up against Southampton who we have really struggled against. Their pressing game has really been overwhelming for our team, we have not been able to cope with it.

Somehow believe that we are going to get a result here.Onus is on them to come forward. We may expose them on the counter. Don't know what style BR is going to deploy.

Offline Syntexity

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2291 on: February 21, 2014, 12:29:22 pm »
If we finish in between 80-83 points I will be delighted with the run in. Considering we were 7th last year that would be an amazing improvement. If Sturridge can keep his form and Suarez goes on a rampage form again anything can happen.

I hope you are right nico, the away game at stoke was a similar battle and we did win that one :) However Southampton is a better side who is better at attacking. I do think they will be aware of the threat that Southampton possess with their pressing game so maybe we will have a nice plan to overcome them. Only time will tell, we can worry about that game next week! We need to beat Swansea first, we can't take anything for granted.

Offline Kadian

• Trolling along... The Specious One. Whistles the Liquidator as he types disparaging comments about Mario Balotelli So utterly predictable, Moreno's best mate
  • Legacy Fan
  • We're coming
« Reply #2292 on: February 21, 2014, 12:29:31 pm »
01/02 after 26 games - 49 pts (GD : +14)
Final total - 80 pts. Position : 2nd

08/09 after 26 games - 55 pts (GD : +25)
Final total - 86 pts. Position : 2nd

13/14 after 26 games - 53 pts (GD : +34)
Final total - ?          Position : ?

Offline pjshaun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2293 on: February 21, 2014, 12:32:56 pm »

Final total - 84          Position : 2nd  :hally

Offline pjshaun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2294 on: February 21, 2014, 12:42:46 pm »
why?

Rafa is a great manager but he is not our manager now,and if its got to do with how they play in Europe,did you not see the game last night?

Swansea could and should have won 2/3-0

Because Rafa is a master tactician and knows his business when it comes to Europe. Did you see how Chelsea played in away games in Europa league last season? They were absolutely dire away from home and still won the cup. Rafa's teams are most of the time second best in away ties but still come up with a positive result (clean sheets mostly). He deliberately plays cautious tactics in away legs and smash teams right, left and center in the return leg. I'm amazed I have to explain all this to a Liverpool supporter.

Having said all that, I trust Brendan and he has proven his tactical mastery already so even if we are drawn against Napoli, I fully expect us to win. I would just like to avoid confrontation with Rafa in Europe, that's all.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 12:48:54 pm by pjshaun »

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #2295 on: February 21, 2014, 12:45:55 pm »

Blimey have we only got 2 points less than 08/09?!

Also look at that goal difference! Fuck it I decided that we're going to win the league!! ;D

Offline pjshaun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2296 on: February 21, 2014, 12:53:11 pm »
Blimey have we only got 2 points less than 08/09?!

Also look at that goal difference! Fuck it I decided that we're going to win the league!! ;D

We actually lost our 27th game against Middlesbrough (away) 0-2 and won 10, drew 1 of our last 11 games.

So even if lose against Swansea, we're going to finish 2nd at least.  :P

Offline Brentieke

• Vote King Hendo. Beaker's panic gif was modelled on his coupon. A seer & visionary - he saw how shite we are.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2297 on: February 21, 2014, 12:54:03 pm »

Final total - 84          Position : 2nd  :hally

Thing is, both the 01/02 and 08/09 sides had a terrific end to the season.

In 08/09 we took 31 out of a possible 36 points, losing once to Boro and drawing once in that crazy game against Arsenal. Basically to even match that season's points tally, we need to get 33 out of the next 36 points, i.e. win 11 and lose 1. That's if we just want to match it!

In 01/02 we also took 31 points out of 36. We lost that fucking game at Spurs and drew at home with Everton. We'll need 27 out of the next 36 points to match that season, i.e. win 9 out of the 12 games.

Both teams at that stage had come off bad runs and were just about to pick up. We're on a good run at the moment, what happens from here reamins to be seen. If we keep going like we have we'll end up with around 77 points. We need to seriously improve on that to win the league, and seriously start fucking up to finish outside the top 4.

Only time will tell.
My blog on Corruption in English Football and LFC Analysis.

http://diminbeirut.typepad.com/my-blog/

https://twitter.com/DimmyBad

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2298 on: February 21, 2014, 12:56:02 pm »
Stop being so bloody pragamatic Brentie, we're gonna win the league, didn't you get the memo mate? ;)
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2299 on: February 21, 2014, 01:01:30 pm »
i think we will end up on 80 give or take a point.
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Online TobyLFC

• or not Toby LFC, that is the question
  • Kopite
  • Golf is amazing!
« Reply #2300 on: February 21, 2014, 01:33:48 pm »
If Rodgers starts talking about 'facts' I'll be shitting bricks this weekend.
it comes down to reality, and it's fine with me cause I've let it slide...

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2301 on: February 21, 2014, 01:42:25 pm »
i think we will end up on 80 give or take a point.

I think the same. Reckon we'll end up in the 78-81 range, battling with Arse for 3rd place.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline WraithXx

• LinguistiCc PedanTt. Ass Man fan. IN PONTO PERDITUS
  • Legacy Fan
  • veritas aequitas
« Reply #2302 on: February 21, 2014, 01:55:12 pm »
If Rodgers starts talking about 'facts' I'll be shitting bricks this weekend.

:D

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬~ஜ۩۞۩ஜ~▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬­­­­­­­­­­­
LIVERPOOL F.C
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬~ஜ۩۞۩ஜ~▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2303 on: February 21, 2014, 02:05:14 pm »
Thing is, both the 01/02 and 08/09 sides had a terrific end to the season.

In 08/09 we took 31 out of a possible 36 points, losing once to Boro and drawing once in that crazy game against Arsenal. Basically to even match that season's points tally, we need to get 33 out of the next 36 points, i.e. win 11 and lose 1. That's if we just want to match it!

In 01/02 we also took 31 points out of 36. We lost that fucking game at Spurs and drew at home with Everton. We'll need 27 out of the next 36 points to match that season, i.e. win 9 out of the 12 games.

Both teams at that stage had come off bad runs and were just about to pick up. We're on a good run at the moment, what happens from here reamins to be seen. If we keep going like we have we'll end up with around 77 points. We need to seriously improve on that to win the league, and seriously start fucking up to finish outside the top 4.

Only time will tell.

But back in 0809 the winners (mancs) seemed to win so many games in the run in 1-0, interspersed with a couple of freaks like that Villa (Mecheda) game, and then the Webb debacle v Spurs.  You'd imagine the eventual winners won't win as many in this run in.

But as you say time will tell.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #2304 on: February 21, 2014, 02:28:09 pm »
We need to seriously improve on that to win the league, and seriously start fucking up to finish outside the top 4.

Is this if we only regard United as the main threat? For some reason I only care about United's results in the race for 4th. It may be follly, but I don't see Spurs or Everton sustaining a push.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #2305 on: February 21, 2014, 02:31:05 pm »
Just on the discussion about previous seasons and comparing form / points / potential points...I may be wrong but it's unusual for all top 4 teams to have dropped so many points by this point, is it not? Not a single team at 60 points yet shows that the eventual winners may not exceed 80 by a big margin.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #2306 on: February 21, 2014, 02:46:25 pm »
Chelsea - Everton => draw (Not that unlikely, but tough)
Arsenal - Sunderlan => draw (Extremely Optimistic, but could happen - gooners would would be knackered)
Mancity-Stoke => City win (Cant see anything else, even with resurgent stoke)

AND the league table would be like this:

Chelsea: 58
City: 57
Arsenal: 57
Liverpool: 56

:lickin

11 games to go and two 6-pointers at home! May be it is just the Friday morning giddiness but - Make Us Dream! :)

Fuck that, they all lose, we win and are a point off the top in second come Sunday night.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #2307 on: February 21, 2014, 03:47:19 pm »
Just on the discussion about previous seasons and comparing form / points / potential points...I may be wrong but it's unusual for all top 4 teams to have dropped so many points by this point, is it not? Not a single team at 60 points yet shows that the eventual winners may not exceed 80 by a big margin.
To be fair to those feckers- they're not in "the hunt for the title". If you look at the past 2 decades of League tables, you'll notice everyone from 2-4 have always had about the same amount of points at this stage... United though- were always a good few ahead of everyone else. Grudging respect- whether they're bent or not.

Last season, for instance:

POS                                     LP   CLUB   P   W   D   L   GF   GA   GD   PTS
1      (1)   Manchester United   26   21   2   3   62   31   31   65
2      (2)   Manchester City       26   15   8   3   48   24   24   53
3      (3)   Chelsea                  26   14   7   5   55   28   27   49
4      (4)   Tottenham Hotspur   26   14   6   6   44   30   14   48

One last observation... We have more points at matchday 26 than all 4th-placed teams in all the seasons stretching back to 2004/2005 and even before that.

The amount of points after 26games(and sometimes 27) in each of past few seasons stretching back to 200/2001:

44, 51, 45, 41, 48, 46, 49, 47, 51, 45, 47, 43 and 45(2012/2013)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 04:41:44 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline stevienash

• Legacy Fan
  • 'White liquid in a bottle has to be milk.'"
« Reply #2308 on: February 21, 2014, 03:47:37 pm »
Let's fucking twat these welsh gobshites

THIS

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #2309 on: February 21, 2014, 04:42:23 pm »
One last observation... We have more points at matchday 26 than all 4th-placed teams in all the seasons stretching back to 2004/2005 and even before that.

The amount of points after 26games(and sometimes 27) in each of past few seasons stretching back to 200/2001:

So you fuckers were right! We're ACTUALLY CHALLENGING!
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

Offline justsean

• Two goals in his first two minutes of match commentary. Take a bow...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2310 on: February 21, 2014, 04:51:36 pm »
Interesting comparisons over the last few seasons ... Team in 4th spot at this stage having amassed a good few more points than teams in 4th spot in previous years. I'd say that would stay the same if you went way back, but that is just a hunch.

13/14 Season after 26 games
1st - 57
4th - 53

12/13 Season after 26 games
1st - 68
4th - 48

11/12 Season after 26 games
1st - 63
4st - 46

10/11 Season after 26 games
1st - 57
4th - 47

09/10 Season after 26 games
1st - 58
4th - 45

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #2311 on: February 21, 2014, 04:59:24 pm »
To be fair to those feckers- they're not in "the hunt for the title". If you look at the past 2 decades of League tables, you'll notice everyone from 2-4 have always had about the same amount of points at this stage... United though- were always a good few ahead of everyone else. Grudging respect- whether they're bent or not.

Last season, for instance:

So does this not support my point that the winners will achieve not much more than 80 points? I

Offline justsean

• Two goals in his first two minutes of match commentary. Take a bow...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2312 on: February 21, 2014, 05:05:26 pm »
So does this not support my point that the winners will achieve not much more than 80 points? I

Not necessarily, but yes it is possible (or even likely).

Examples:
Team in 1st in 09/10 after 26 games had 58 points (this year it is 57 at the equivalent stage) and finished on 87 points.
Team in 1st in 10/11 after 26 games had 57 points (this year it is 57 at the equivalent stage)  and finished on 80 points.

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #2313 on: February 21, 2014, 06:16:49 pm »
Oh it does! Sorry mate- wasn't disputing your point. I was just trying to point out that it's obvious that lot from Manchester aren't at the races this season. If they were, they'd prolly be on ~65 points by now(and in truth- any other league-leader that was nailed on for the title).

Once we get used to them without the Tramp, we'll see the others and hopefully ourselves, stringing up runs as they did(or our legendary selves) and be around the mid-60pt figure at this stage of the season..
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 06:19:43 pm by the_red_pill »

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #2314 on: February 21, 2014, 06:21:02 pm »
Not necessarily, but yes it is possible (or even likely).

Examples:
Team in 1st in 09/10 after 26 games had 58 points (this year it is 57 at the equivalent stage) and finished on 87 points.
Team in 1st in 10/11 after 26 games had 57 points (this year it is 57 at the equivalent stage)  and finished on 80 points.

Wasn't there a season where the league leaders had finished with something like 78pts?

EDIT: Oh I see- 2010/11.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 06:30:12 pm by the_red_pill »

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #2315 on: February 21, 2014, 09:10:30 pm »
The treble winning United side won the league in '99 with 79 points. Interestingly, we finished that season in 7th on 54 points. One more than now!

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2316 on: February 21, 2014, 09:12:21 pm »
The treble winning United side won the league in '99 with 79 points. Interestingly, we finished that season in 7th on 54 points. One more than now!

In 96/97 Utd won the league with 75 points.

Offline Kenny Coat

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2317 on: February 22, 2014, 09:48:51 pm »
All hinges on what we do against Chelsea and City at home. We stay in touch until we play them then we will do them down here.

I don't consider Arsenal to be a threat in the Title race, although they will make top four now.
A bastion of invincibility

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #2318 on: February 22, 2014, 10:10:11 pm »
All hinges on what we do against Chelsea and City at home. We stay in touch until we play them then we will do them down here.

I don't consider Arsenal to be a threat in the Title race, although they will make top four now.

If Chelsea could just draw at home to Arsenal and Spurs that would be fantastic! ;D
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline houkura

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2319 on: February 23, 2014, 01:55:45 am »
If Chelsea could just draw at home to Arsenal and Spurs that would be fantastic! ;D

Draws draws draws. All I want is draws between the top teams that aren't Liverpool. Todays lucky goal by Chelsea...actually a Howard own goal...really upset me but that's another story. My only question is why does the fella you quote think Arsenal are bang on for 4th? I'm not convinced they'll make the top 4 personally.
"Good to be here, good to be anywhere."  --Keith Richards