Author Topic: It's just a battle for the order of the first 4 spots now between 5 teams...  (Read 560162 times)

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Realistically, is it just a battle for 4th spot with 2 other teams now?
« Reply #1680 on: February 13, 2014, 04:59:48 pm »
The sooner spurs are out of the picture the better.

They play Chelsea and Arsenal in their next four league games. Just like Arsenal, they can do us a favour hanging around for a bit longer.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1681 on: February 13, 2014, 05:06:44 pm »
They play Chelsea and Arsenal in their next four league games. Just like Arsenal, they can do us a favour hanging around for a bit longer.

You'd want them to fold to some extent as apparently they've a relatively easier run in (last 4-6 games) than any other team.  This was in one of the papers this morning though and I wasn't that interested in Spurs to check accuracy out but I assume it's true(ish)

Offline Cadno

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1682 on: February 13, 2014, 05:09:02 pm »
You'd want them to fold to some extent as apparently they've a relatively easier run in (last 4-6 games) than any other team.  This was in one of the papers this morning though and I wasn't that interested in Spurs to check accuracy out but I assume it's true(ish)
The best Spurs can do is second behind us so no worries :)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"  - Albert Einstein

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain(Was talking about H&G)

"When you can't walk, you crawl. When you can't crawl, you get a friend to carry you" - Firefly

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #1683 on: February 13, 2014, 05:09:21 pm »
The game against Spurs at Anfield is going to be a big one, hopefully we can smash them and dent their confidence because they're flying at the moment
City demolished them and unfortunately didnt dent their confidence at all.

Offline Spraynard Kruger

• Wholeheartedly supports the cause but would stay seated in a walk-out protest cos, you know, it's so expensive to get to the game, so doesn't wholeheartedly support after all and misses the point completely. All in one sentence. Wow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1684 on: February 13, 2014, 05:12:43 pm »
The thing about Spurs is that the closer we are to the top 3 the closer they are to them too - if they keep winning. Which means if we keep winning and gaining ground on the top 3, those 3 teams need to worry about Spurs just as much as we do. So, it isn't just a case of Spurs trying to catch us.

This is all under the notion that Spurs keep winning of course.

We just need to take care of our business.

Which, crazy enough, would technically make them title contenders. It's almost cliche to say it will be Arsenal if anybody that falls from title race to a struggle for top four, but frankly it's set up that way again.

Arsenal in particular have a real problem with their lack of ability to pick up points against the top of the table, and they really missed an opportunity yesterday to prove our big victory over them was a one-off in the title race. They've played City away, Chelsea home, us twice, Spurs home, United twice, Everton at home. They've taken 9 of a possible 24 points there. The only victories came against us and Spurs at the Emirates. Just like Spurs, their March-to-April period is going to be an enormous test. First of March they're at Stoke, they'll get Swansea at Emirates which should be a win, but then it's the 2nd leg of in Munich 3 days later, at Spurs, at Chelsea, Man City at home, at Everton.

The pessimistic Arsenal fan's nightmare could be coming true. Yet another collapse, where aspirations of winning the title are taken and the best they hope for is getting top four over their North London rivals.
"Sometimes you have to just chill out, look at the Everton fans and let them realise what time it is." - Daniel Sturridge

Offline GregCharrua

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1685 on: February 13, 2014, 05:15:05 pm »
Moyes goes on about luck but spurs have been taking lady luck up the arse since dimmy took the reigns. At some point she'll close her legs again and spurs will disintegrate. Surely.

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1686 on: February 13, 2014, 05:29:26 pm »

Again,  very good point.  2 draws there, we're laughing.

Then it puts the whole issue fairly and squarely in our hands....  which is all you can ever ask. 

And that would, in all probability, that assuming all the sides are pretty much equal in their games v the bottom teams, if we can win the 3 homes v Spuds/City/Chelsea...........mean that.........

I've ordered my tickets for the last home game already.  Hoping to see a shiny trophy.

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1687 on: February 13, 2014, 05:33:24 pm »
To be honest we could do with Arsenal and Chelsea killing off Spurs for us in the next few games. That way, if we continue winning, we're still max 4-5 points off the top, with Spurs dead and buried, while we have 8 or so games to make up those points if we're so inclined.

The priority should be ensuring a top four spot.

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1688 on: February 13, 2014, 05:37:46 pm »
To be honest we could do with Arsenal and Chelsea killing off Spurs for us in the next few games. That way, if we continue winning, we're still max 4-5 points off the top, with Spurs dead and buried, while we have 8 or so games to make up those points if we're so inclined.

No, the priority should be winning the league. We are Liverpool FC. Not Arsenal FC who exist to win the top 4 trophy every season. And how great will 4th be if Man Utd fluke the CL?

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1689 on: February 13, 2014, 05:47:34 pm »
No, the priority should be winning the league. We are Liverpool FC. Not Arsenal FC who exist to win the top 4 trophy every season. And how great will 4th be if Man Utd fluke the CL?
As wonderful a that sounds, top 4 should be priority. however, the longer the players think they can win the league, the more likely we'll keep playing so well. :)

Offline beardsley4ever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1690 on: February 13, 2014, 05:54:33 pm »

Just keep winning our games, and the Spurs results won't matter.

It isn't a 2-way race for 4th.  It's a 5-way race for the top 4 spots.  All to play for.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #1691 on: February 13, 2014, 05:56:38 pm »

After Anfield Spurs have the following fixtures:

Sunderland H - been a lot better lately
West Brom A - good record at home against top sides
Fulham H - seem to have improved lately
Stoke A - only lost twice at home all season
West Ham A - tough away match
Villa H - better away from home than at home

Although none of them are against the top teams, they're all tough in their own right. All those teams will be fighting tooth and nail for every point so there will be points dropped by spurs no doubt. With their tough fixtures before then though we should be clear of them, but even if they beat the teams above us that would still be good results for us :) Arsenal should be the ones worried about spurs on current form, and also still have to go to WHL...

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1692 on: February 13, 2014, 06:04:31 pm »
Draws the best result
It's odd, isn't it? It's so precariously perched.

There are two situations which we'd like from Spurs vs Arsenal and Chelsea vs Spurs:

1) Spurs get beaten in both games.

This means that we could bridge a 9 point gap to Spurs which would hopefully be unassailable. However, we still have tricky games to come and it could be argued that 9 points is still surmountable. Furthermore, it'd mean that both Arsenal and Chelsea maintain the point difference between us and them and the less games there are, the less likely we are to overtake them.
On the brighter side, that'd be a 9 point gap from Spurs. Assuming we win our 2  fixtures whilst Spurs are playing the Chelsea and Arsenal games, we still have Spurs to play and that could be 12 points clear alongside our superior goal difference.

2) Spurs draw both games

This means that the gap between both Chelsea and Arsenal would narrow. Even to the point where we overtake Arsenal. However, the gap between Spurs would only be 7 points, baring in mind their kinder fixtures, this doesn't seem like too much. In the case of Arsenal, we would overtake them, but I'd argue this would only be temporary. Arsenal can cruise after March and won't drop many points as they seem to beat the 'weaker' sides.

The worst case scenario is, of course, Spurs win both games. But surely we don't need to worry about that. Please?  :-\

This is the most odd season in ages for Liverpool. It's at a point where we can threaten for the title, and still not get top-4. Bloody frightening.

Offline No Appreciation of Liverpool Opposition

• Won't get out of bed for Palace. Gimme an N! Gimme a U! Gimme an M! (yet still needs it spelt out!)
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
    • My blog
« Reply #1693 on: February 13, 2014, 06:13:26 pm »
spurs have chelsea arsenal us.
Quite simply for me if we beat them, then the two other games are bonuses. If Spurs win against Arsenal great we have a chance to overtake Arsenal and let them fight it out with Spurs. If Spurs win against Chelsea great we can catch Chelsea when they come to us. If we tie at anfield, or god forbid lose, we need them to drop as many points as possible. As usual it comes down to us. We can win the title with almost no help at this point. We win 10 of 12 and we'll probably get it. Doublely so for fourth. If we beat Spurs we'll need about 6 wins to secure fourth from 11 games. Thats not hard. In short if we want to be in the champions league we have to finish up like we want it. If we want to challenge for the title then play like fucking title contenders. After this weeks results everything is in our hands. Yea some help form a shity draw for the other teams here or there makes it easier. However there's no realistic scenario where we beat the 3 top teams we have to play and don't make the champions league. If we beat those 3 teams theres probably few scenarios we don't win the league.
I fell in love with football as I would later fall in love with women: suddenly, uncritically, giving no thought to the pain it would bring

Gaston Ramirez.

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1694 on: February 13, 2014, 06:18:41 pm »
... and then Everton will  go and throw a spanner in the works by beating chelsea at Stamford Bridge  and everyone will now get worried about Everton

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #1695 on: February 13, 2014, 06:23:16 pm »
I''ll take it one game at a time, and it wouldn't cost me a dime, you'll know it's me when I come through your town...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline @indykaila

• the twitter guy off twitter with the hat, off twitter
  • Main Stander
  • Never forget JFT96
« Reply #1697 on: February 13, 2014, 06:32:27 pm »
Ramsey COULD had made big difference in next few months.   :)
When we win the league my life will be completed

Offline Wingman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1698 on: February 13, 2014, 06:49:44 pm »
spurs have chelsea arsenal us.
Quite simply for me if we beat them, then the two other games are bonuses.

Quite simple - beat Spurs

.. and City, and Chelsea, and United and everyone else we're due to play. All this maths (fag packet or spreadsheet) and PPG stuff is really pointless. There's no point in targeting games to win/draw, tactics and personnel may change but, simply, we just need to try and win every time we get on the pitch.

Some of you are worrying about (and calculating) things you simply can't control. Just fucking enjoy it ..

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #1699 on: February 13, 2014, 06:53:23 pm »
Some of you are worrying about (and calculating) things you simply can't control. Just fucking enjoy it ..

eggfuckinzackly.

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1700 on: February 13, 2014, 06:59:28 pm »

.. and City, and Chelsea, and United and everyone else we're due to play. All this maths (fag packet or spreadsheet) and PPG stuff is really pointless. There's no point in targeting games to win/draw, tactics and personnel may change but, simply, we just need to try and win every time we get on the pitch.

is absolutely correct.it is pointless because it goes on the basis of current form,others form etc,not taking into account injuries and all the rest of it.Simply put lets win our games or do the best we possibly can and see where it leaves us
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1701 on: February 13, 2014, 07:03:50 pm »
Again,  very good point.  2 draws there, we're laughing.

Exactly. I can't understand people wanting an outside rival for 4th to drop 6 points, rather than to drop 4 and take 2 each from Arsenal and Chelsea.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1702 on: February 13, 2014, 07:06:37 pm »
We've got a great chance to win the league this season, and I know the players will be very aware of the fact. Something that would make the title just that little bit sweeter -

United went 26 years without winning the league between 1967 and 1993.
So far, we have only gone 24 years without winning the league.

;D

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1703 on: February 13, 2014, 07:10:57 pm »

Enjoying it immensely, without worrying or calculating anything. Just discussing obvious examples where our rivals WILL drop points, because they're playing each other. Of course, one of them may take maximum points from such games and render title talk premature. That's ok. We are focused on winning one game at a time. What position we finish in isn't entirely with our control and, barring a dreadful collapse, this has been a very good season of progression already.

Offline Juliman

• Kopite
« Reply #1704 on: February 13, 2014, 07:44:52 pm »
Saw this on SkySports and thought it was very surprising.

Offline andyfm

• Kemlynite
« Reply #1705 on: February 13, 2014, 07:49:01 pm »

Dodgy Sky table. We should be top and City should be above Chelsea due to GD. Harrumph.

Offline The Jackal

• GENESIS 1:1
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent...
« Reply #1706 on: February 13, 2014, 07:49:15 pm »

why have they got Arsenal above us? We have better GD (21 vs 20) should be top, no?
Blanco y en botella. Es leche, no?

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #1707 on: February 13, 2014, 07:55:40 pm »
Alphabetical, surely?
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Miltonred

• Does the "M" in Mod stand for morons?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Does the M in Milton stand for Moron?
« Reply #1708 on: February 13, 2014, 07:56:44 pm »
The Spurs situation raises an interesting question.

The upcoming games they have against Arsenal and Chelsea, should they lose them both, will likely provided we do the business, push them far enough back that they will no longer be a realistic threat for climbing above us.

Conversely that will also mean that we stay out of the challenge for first place, as teams above us will win difficult games, that might have been banana skins.

So what is your preference, defeats to Spurs that nail us on for fourth, or wins for Spurs that keep them right at our heels but also give us a shot at first place? (The assumption being that there are then 5 teams in the title hunt and we could easily end of fifth if our run in hots some obstacles?)

Stick or twist?

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1709 on: February 13, 2014, 07:58:54 pm »

The upcoming games they have against Arsenal and Chelsea, should they lose them both, will likely provided we do the business, push them far enough back that they will no longer be a realistic threat for climbing above us.

Conversely that will also mean that we stay out of the challenge for first place, as teams above us will win difficult games, that might have been banana skins.

So what is your preference, defeats to Spurs that nail us on for fourth, or wins for Spurs that keep them right at our heels but also give us a shot at first place? (The assumption being that there are then 5 teams in the title hunt and we could easily end of fifth if our run in hots some obstacles?)

Stick or twist?

Draws, that damage all rivals at the same time (and share 2 points, rather than 3).

Offline Miltonred

• Does the "M" in Mod stand for morons?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Does the M in Milton stand for Moron?
« Reply #1710 on: February 13, 2014, 08:00:06 pm »
Alphabetical, surely?
Maybe current league position for tied points.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1711 on: February 13, 2014, 08:02:49 pm »

Stick or twist?

Draws

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1712 on: February 13, 2014, 08:03:17 pm »

Stick or twist?
Stick. Stick. Stick. Get the fucking stick and protect it by any means possible.

Offline Block G Raptor

• Kopite
  • Cóir do na Nócha Sé
« Reply #1713 on: February 13, 2014, 08:04:00 pm »
Maybe current league position for tied points.
would you go away with your perfect sense wrecking the sky bashing fun :)

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1714 on: February 13, 2014, 08:10:20 pm »
Draws

Ding, Ding, Ding we have a winner. If both Arsenal and Chelsea draw against Tottenham then the league title is there to be taken (if we're good enough) but also top 4 is pretty much secured.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1715 on: February 13, 2014, 08:17:30 pm »

Stick or twist?

As redmark and TSC say, DRAWS for God's sake.

Whats not to gain??

Each of all our rivals drop 2 points, whether you think we're after top 4 or title winners, everyone loses except US.

Plus, it gives them some hope that they are in contention for their respective goals...  we don't want any of them to get fucked off when they can damage the rest.

DRAWS is how we can maximise our chances.

And furthermore, I want a draw between Chelsea and City this weekend.  And a few red cards, and (pardon me) injuries galore.  GALORE.  I'm a nasty unsportsmanlike man.  I wouldn't even flinch if the injuries were serious.  There, I said it.  Come on all you normal nice sportsmanlike people an tell me I'm naughty if I say I wish Aguero to have a setback in his recovery and be out for 3 more months.  Or if Cahill, Terry, Azpuiliceta, Ivanovic, Hazard, Willian, Oscar and Mourinho all get bird flu and are out for 3 months.

I don't give a fuck.

I just want all of Liverpools players and staff to be healthy, and win the double.

The other shitehawks can get to fuck, and I don't give a shit how that happens. 

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #1716 on: February 13, 2014, 08:32:34 pm »
We should not be concerned about who is behind us but who is in front of us, Arsenal seem mentally shattered by the storm force gale they suffered from on saturday and I think Spurs may finish above them unless they get there heads straight. We just need to concentrate on our own game and let the others do the worrying.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1717 on: February 13, 2014, 08:45:01 pm »
As redmark and TSC say, DRAWS for God's sake.

Whats not to gain??

Each of all our rivals drop 2 points, whether you think we're after top 4 or title winners, everyone loses except US.

Plus, it gives them some hope that they are in contention for their respective goals...  we don't want any of them to get fucked off when they can damage the rest.

DRAWS is how we can maximise our chances.

And furthermore, I want a draw between Chelsea and City this weekend.  And a few red cards, and (pardon me) injuries galore.  GALORE.  I'm a nasty unsportsmanlike man.  I wouldn't even flinch if the injuries were serious.  There, I said it.  Come on all you normal nice sportsmanlike people an tell me I'm naughty if I say I wish Aguero to have a setback in his recovery and be out for 3 more months.  Or if Cahill, Terry, Azpuiliceta, Ivanovic, Hazard, Willian, Oscar and Mourinho all get bird flu and are out for 3 months.

I don't give a fuck.

I just want all of Liverpools players and staff to be healthy, and win the double.

The other shitehawks can get to fuck, and I don't give a shit how that happens. 

It would be lovely if they draw and all catch Legionnaires Disease getting a shower after the match at the Etihad wouldn't it Shaun? Or I've devised another scenario. I can't be arsed with all this "Oooh I don't like to see players getting injured and it's better if all the best players are on the pitch." Thumb sucking twats. I'd be happy enough with a goal mouth scramble and the bar collapses on Cech's twat hat, hits Negredo in his fucking Piltdown Man face, flips up and belts Yaya in the cock, he gets an involuntary erection which pierces Hazard's spleen and he falls over and head butts Oscar in the kidneys. Meanwhile, over at the Emirates, Luis takes a free kick right in Ozil's goggle eyes face detaching a retina or two and in his blurred vision state, he accidentally falls on Wilshere with a semi on, rupturing his sphincter. In the ensuing shitting on the pitch, Mertesacker skids right into the back of that fucking pudgy spud faced twat Cazorla, and both of them catch Wiel's Disease while little Raheem slots one into an empty net. Carlsberg don't cause injuries, but if they did....

I don't believe in God anyway, but if he was real, you all know I'd be burning in hell for a lot more than that anyway.
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline Spraynard Kruger

• Wholeheartedly supports the cause but would stay seated in a walk-out protest cos, you know, it's so expensive to get to the game, so doesn't wholeheartedly support after all and misses the point completely. All in one sentence. Wow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1718 on: February 13, 2014, 08:47:22 pm »
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Oh christ.
"Sometimes you have to just chill out, look at the Everton fans and let them realise what time it is." - Daniel Sturridge

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #1719 on: February 13, 2014, 08:50:51 pm »
It would be lovely if they draw and all catch Legionnaires Disease getting a shower after the match at the Etihad wouldn't it Shaun? Or I've devised another scenario. I can't be arsed with all this "Oooh I don't like to see players getting injured and it's better if all the best players are on the pitch." Thumb sucking twats. I'd be happy enough with a goal mouth scramble and the bar collapses on Cech's twat hat, hits Negredo in his fucking Piltdown Man face, flips up and belts Yaya in the cock, he gets an involuntary erection which pierces Hazard's spleen and he falls over and head butts Oscar in the kidneys. Meanwhile, over at the Emirates, Luis takes a free kick right in Ozil's goggle eyes face detaching a retina or two and in his blurred vision state, he accidentally falls on Wilshere with a semi on, rupturing his sphincter. In the ensuing shitting on the pitch, Mertesacker skids right into the back of that fucking pudgy spud faced twat Cazorla, and both of them catch Wiel's Disease while little Raheem slots one into an empty net. Carlsberg don't cause injuries, but if they did....

I don't believe in God anyway, but if he was real, you all know I'd be burning in hell for a lot more than that anyway.

Best post in the history of time.  :lmao :lmao
What belongs to you, but is used by others?