Author Topic: FA Cup R3 - Liverpool v Oldham - Sun 5/1/14 - 15.00  (Read 78168 times)

Offline johnhouldinglfc

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: FA Cup R3 - Liverpool v Oldham or Mansfield
« Reply #80 on: December 8, 2013, 05:49:28 pm »
Hope Alberto plays along with McLaughlin and Teixeira.

Doubt McLaughlin will be back for this round with his injury.

Teixeira would seem the likeliest based on his recent form but Alberto ahead of him is possibly too similar a type player.

Smith at left back might be a bit of long shot (considering the other options at left-back and how he is only recently back from injury)

Yesil if he starts banging in the goals might be an option for the bench if Suarez were to be rested.

Overall I wouldn't be surprised if no youngsters made their debut in this game, but if it was more a case of senior B team if a weakened team were played.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #81 on: December 8, 2013, 05:55:38 pm »
I realise we should probably wipe the floor with Oldham at home but, we really don't want to be filling our side with too many reserve/youth team players. Just remember what Notts County did to us earlier on in the season and know that Oldham are a better team then them.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: December 8, 2013, 06:00:47 pm »
Not bad, not bad at all.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline stagparty

• Kemlynite
  • yellooooowwwwwws
« Reply #83 on: December 8, 2013, 06:01:11 pm »
So it's Oldham I see according to you guys ? Way I see it there's a small matter of a replay to decide who makes the trip to Anfield, should we beat Oldham, (you can't begrudge us that can you) then it may be 12 months late but we get there play we deserved ;) ?

Offline lfcmaster

• of pith
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #84 on: December 8, 2013, 06:02:19 pm »
pleased with the draw

we will play the first team

Offline stoz

• John Motson. The Flag Bearer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: December 8, 2013, 06:06:00 pm »
For the benefit of about 15 people in this thread who are clearly completely oblivious to the fact, there is actually still the small matter of Mansfield v Oldham replay in about ten days time. Mansfield will actually be favourites for that too, given the home advantage and the massive incentive at stake.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: December 8, 2013, 06:33:39 pm »
For the benefit of about 15 people in this thread who are clearly completely oblivious to the fact, there is actually still the small matter of Mansfield v Oldham replay in about ten days time. Mansfield will actually be favourites for that too, given the home advantage and the massive incentive at stake.

Wouldn't say we're favourites as we haven't won for q good while. BUT our performances have picked up a lot recently and we'll be pushing hard. Our scouse centre mid will be busting fOr the chance to play at afield.

Offline stoz

• John Motson. The Flag Bearer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: December 8, 2013, 06:40:07 pm »
Wouldn't say we're favourites as we haven't won for q good while. BUT our performances have picked up a lot recently and we'll be pushing hard. Our scouse centre mid will be busting fOr the chance to play at afield.

Ordinarily, no. But with you being at home, and such a huge incentive to win, surely you'll be backed by a full house which will help make it a real special FA Cup night? Oldham might be a division above you, but they're not exactly riding high themselves.

Offline TheManFromOldham

• Boys Pen
« Reply #88 on: December 8, 2013, 06:54:07 pm »
I'd suggest Oldham are favourites to beat Mansfield in the replay.  Saturday's draw is as bad as they've played all season.  I don't think they'll lose at Field Mill, but you never know.

Lee Johnson's side are better than the Dickov team that did you last season.  And better than the one you beat 5-1 two years ago.

Offline KevLFC

• Doesn't know the offside laws
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: December 8, 2013, 07:52:53 pm »
Why does everyone assume Oldham are going to win? isn't the replay at Mansfield? they might cause an upset :)

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: December 8, 2013, 07:57:54 pm »
I'd suggest Oldham are favourites to beat Mansfield in the replay.  Saturday's draw is as bad as they've played all season.  I don't think they'll lose at Field Mill, but you never know.

Lee Johnson's side are better than the Dickov team that did you last season.  And better than the one you beat 5-1 two years ago.

Welcome. I think we'd put out a stronger team than last season - that game was a wake up call to Rodgers, and as we're only in 2 competitions this season, he'll likely put out a strong team. I wouldn't be surprised if it was full strength even. Of course, we're also far better than last season - 2nd in the PL and all that, with probably the best player in the country at the moment, playing in our team.

“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline TheManFromOldham

• Boys Pen
« Reply #91 on: December 8, 2013, 08:33:47 pm »
Welcome. I think we'd put out a stronger team than last season - that game was a wake up call to Rodgers, and as we're only in 2 competitions this season, he'll likely put out a strong team. I wouldn't be surprised if it was full strength even. Of course, we're also far better than last season - 2nd in the PL and all that, with probably the best player in the country at the moment, playing in our team.

I don't expect a win if we get through the replay.  A mullering is likely, especially as your gaffer spends his spare time at Boundary Park watching us play.  He knows what we do.

But you had Suarez and Sturridge up top last season.  We had Matt Smith, who'd done little before the third round and was likely to have his contract paid up before injuries set in, and Robbie Simpson who'd had the season from hell.  Our sub striker now turns out for Spennymoor.  Our captain was unfit after returning from international duty.  His replacement was crocked by Sterling and the substitute still isn't close to first team action.

So we know what should happen probably will happen.  But you weren't the only guys with a few players off the team sheet last time around.

Offline turkish kopite

• Legacy Fan
  • Black&White, Believe&Fight
« Reply #92 on: December 8, 2013, 08:34:55 pm »
"Waiting for Vodafone Arena to win League Titles"

Offline MTFC RED

• Boys Pen
« Reply #93 on: December 8, 2013, 09:17:11 pm »

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #94 on: December 9, 2013, 10:37:10 am »
Revenge - Manfield deserve to get Suarez back after he sacrificed a 4 year old Mansfield fan on the pitch in front of everybody. Disgusting what he did that game. Horrible. A hanging would be too good for him...

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #95 on: December 9, 2013, 10:44:53 am »
Revenge - Manfield deserve to get Suarez back after he sacrificed a 4 year old Mansfield fan on the pitch in front of everybody. Disgusting what he did that game. Horrible. A hanging would be too good for him...

Absolutely, he went on that pitch with nefarious intent.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline RedKenWah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: December 9, 2013, 10:52:08 am »
i hope Rodgers doesn't try and be too clever with a completely different set up like 4 - 2 - 4. Would be good to see a few youngsters get a run out but thats got to be balanced with experience and also options on the bench in the event something does go tits up.

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: December 9, 2013, 11:09:04 am »
It will depend on fitness but I expect Rodgers to take this match very seriously.  He knows that a cup run would be good for us after last season.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: December 9, 2013, 11:20:47 am »
It will depend on fitness but I expect Rodgers to take this match very seriously.  He knows that a cup run would be good for us after last season.

I think he'll need to manage things with so many squad players rarely getting games. At the very least I'd expect Kelly, Sakho/Toure, Alberto and Aspas to get some minutes.

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #99 on: December 9, 2013, 11:29:38 am »
Whether it's Oldham or Mansfield, expect John 'Magic of the Cup' Motson to be whingeing that the game's not on a ploughed field of a pitch ...

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: December 9, 2013, 11:52:36 am »
I saw someone say on here "it'll be Oldham and Mansfield" and now I've reported them to the match fixing investigation :D

Offline freddwarf

• Pub bore. See? See? I was right! Gerrard back in C/Mid! Told you all months ago! See? Listen to me! I'm always right! Chose accessorising over a European Final. Gave his wife the trousers.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: December 9, 2013, 01:55:09 pm »
Yes beat Oldham 5-1 in the cup two years ago, went on to lose final 2-1 to Chelsea.3rd round tie.
Last season lost 3-2 to Oldham. Rodgers admitted making the mistake of letting them dominate in the air. 4th round tie.
Could be Oldham again if they beat Mansfield. Must be some sort of record, getting drawn against the same team 3 years on the bounce.

Offline terrible suits

• Formerly: terrisus
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Justice for the 96 - You'll Never Walk Alone
    • terrisus.com
« Reply #102 on: December 9, 2013, 04:50:14 pm »
Are we sure this isn't a replay of last year's draw?
Seriously though, happy with the draw, and time for some revenge for last year.

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #103 on: December 9, 2013, 04:53:38 pm »
Absolutely, he went on that pitch with nefarious intent.
I think you'll find his intent was "Diabolical" wasn't it? Sorry to nit pick.

Hope we smash whichever of these teams we get, put out a full strength side and munter them.
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

Offline KaiNo7

• Anny Roader
« Reply #104 on: December 10, 2013, 04:58:55 am »
Any thoughts on which day? There are 4 other televised games apart from arsenal v spurs, so I'm guessing derby v chelsea, mancs v Swansea, Blackburn v city and probably us, which would mean everton v qpr on sat and we would play Sunday?? I doubt it would be Friday night again.

Offline Scarlet`

• Low profile with wide rims
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96!!!
    • Laconius Arts and Design
« Reply #105 on: December 10, 2013, 06:14:11 am »
Revenge hopefully against Oldham.

Rodgers' son plays for them as well.

The Hollister model?
If Ayre got £25m out of them he's willing to fuck all the female members of my family on Sunday's.

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #106 on: December 10, 2013, 06:25:09 am »
Joined the Auto Cup scheme last month so obviously pleased with a home draw.

Would have been nicer to get a top Prem team though.

Ah well, maybe next round eh?
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline Messiah

• Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #107 on: December 10, 2013, 06:31:17 am »
I'd like to see Ilori get his debut for us.
Will the people in the cheaper seats clap your hands? And the rest of you, if you'll just rattle your jewelry.

Offline Messiah

• Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #108 on: December 10, 2013, 06:31:53 am »
The Hollister model?

That's Pascoe's son
Will the people in the cheaper seats clap your hands? And the rest of you, if you'll just rattle your jewelry.

Offline Swissgaz

• Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: December 10, 2013, 11:21:58 pm »
I'd like to see Ilori get his debut for us.

Same here.
"Sometimes you just have to chill out, look at the Everton fans and let them realise what time it is" - Daniel Sturridge

Offline serpentnebula

• Main Stander
« Reply #110 on: December 11, 2013, 03:45:53 am »
This is a gift of a draw for us. We should make the most of it and hammer Oldham or Mansfield at home. Added bonus for us is that Spurs or Arsenal are playing each other, which means that one of our major rivals will be out in the third round.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #111 on: December 11, 2013, 04:24:38 am »
Whether it's Oldham or Mansfield, expect John 'Magic of the Cup' Motson to be whingeing that the game's not on a ploughed field of a pitch ...

;D

I want Mansfield, in someways, although I guess in a way that would disappoint me, as if St Albans had somehow after reaching the 1st round for the first time in 20 years, come through the second round, against Oldham, it'd be Liverpool vs St Albans at Anfield. Would have been mental to be on the Kop for that (NB: I live in St Albans, I think they've been in the conference once or twice in the last 10-15 years, they're shite).

I want Liverpool to play St Albans somehow one day though ;D
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 04:28:13 am by Merry Hijmas »
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline jdpapa3

• Kopite
« Reply #112 on: December 12, 2013, 12:06:32 am »
Any thoughts on which day? There are 4 other televised games apart from arsenal v spurs, so I'm guessing derby v chelsea, mancs v Swansea, Blackburn v city and probably us, which would mean everton v qpr on sat and we would play Sunday?? I doubt it would be Friday night again.

http://www.thefa.com/news/the-fa-cup/2013/dec/third-round-proper-tv-ties-confirmed-111213

Neither us nor Everton were selected to be on ITV or BT Sport for this round. Not sure what happens now as everyone plays a league game on the 1st and the Friday is January 3rd. Maybe us or Everton will be moved to Sunday, but not shown on TV?

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: December 12, 2013, 12:38:49 am »
;D

I want Mansfield, in someways, although I guess in a way that would disappoint me, as if St Albans had somehow after reaching the 1st round for the first time in 20 years, come through the second round, against Oldham, it'd be Liverpool vs St Albans at Anfield. Would have been mental to be on the Kop for that (NB: I live in St Albans, I think they've been in the conference once or twice in the last 10-15 years, they're shite).

I want Liverpool to play St Albans somehow one day though ;D

Spry for thumping them 8-1. ;)

Offline quinny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #114 on: December 12, 2013, 01:00:11 am »
http://www.thefa.com/news/the-fa-cup/2013/dec/third-round-proper-tv-ties-confirmed-111213

Neither us nor Everton were selected to be on ITV or BT Sport for this round. Not sure what happens now as everyone plays a league game on the 1st and the Friday is January 3rd. Maybe us or Everton will be moved to Sunday, but not shown on TV?

We are Sunday 3pm.

Offline KaiNo7

• Anny Roader
« Reply #115 on: December 12, 2013, 01:49:05 am »
Forest v west ham on tv... Mind boggles! Was hoping for sat, interferes with my Sunday league golf, oh well hope it rains lol

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: December 12, 2013, 02:06:25 am »
Forest-West Ham.  :butt :butt :butt
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Mingle

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • I believe...
« Reply #117 on: December 12, 2013, 10:57:42 am »

wonder what she see's in him....mmmmmmmmmmmm...........!!
At the end of a storm, Theres a golden sky...Believe in Brendan

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #118 on: December 12, 2013, 11:29:39 am »

I can't believe some people expected us to be the TV, I certainly didn't.

If it'd been City or Chelsea at home to Mansfield/Oldham which had been selected for TV, we'd have been livid! What'd be the point in seeing a top prem side at home with a seemingly easy task against far weaker opposition? Now I'm not saying this game is a foregone conclussion by any means I do remember last year however the TV bosses need to realistically pick where they think an upset might happen and Liverpool at home vs league 2/1 opposition isn't it.

If we'd been away it'd have been a different story

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #119 on: December 12, 2013, 11:35:46 am »
I can't believe some people expected us to be the TV, I certainly didn't.

If it'd been City or Chelsea at home to Mansfield/Oldham which had been selected for TV, we'd have been livid! What'd be the point in seeing a top prem side at home with a seemingly easy task against far weaker opposition? Now I'm not saying this game is a foregone conclussion by any means I do remember last year however the TV bosses need to realistically pick where they think an upset might happen and Liverpool at home vs league 2/1 opposition isn't it.

If we'd been away it'd have been a different story

I was thinking this too. If it was a conference team, then maybe. Not against a league 1 team though.

Still find the West ham vs Forest game baffling.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks