Author Topic: FA Cup R3 - Liverpool v Oldham - Sun 5/1/14 - 15.00  (Read 78169 times)

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
Re: FA Cup R3 - Liverpool v Oldham - Sun 5/1/14 - 15.00
« Reply #200 on: January 2, 2014, 02:17:37 pm »
Really? They've all played a huge amount of football over christmas and this will only be a few days after the Hull game, I'd rather we rest all three to be honest.

Jones
Kelly Toure Agger Cissokho
Gerrard Rossiter
Ibe Alberto Moses
Aspas

I'd go for something like that, backed up by a strong bench. The last thing we need is more players picking up injuries because they're fatigued, and that lot above should give some squad players a match while still being strong enough to handle Oldham.

Same team except Illori for Agger, also I think Ibe is still injured?
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #201 on: January 2, 2014, 02:28:27 pm »
4 days after Hull, and 7 days until the next game. We can go all out for this one if we want to. With all the injuries at the moment, most of the starting eleven picks itself anyways, unless Brendan throws a couple of teenagers out there.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #202 on: January 2, 2014, 02:29:16 pm »
Really? They've all played a huge amount of football over christmas and this will only be a few days after the Hull game, I'd rather we rest all three to be honest.

Jones
Kelly Toure Agger Cissokho
Gerrard Rossiter
Ibe Alberto Moses
Aspas

I'd go for something like that, backed up by a strong bench. The last thing we need is more players picking up injuries because they're fatigued, and that lot above should give some squad players a match while still being strong enough to handle Oldham.

Personally I hope they start.  We're back to one game a week now that Christmas is over and provided they're all fit to start I hope we play them. I'd like to see:

Mignolet
Kelly  Toure  Agger  Cissokho
Gerrard  Alberto
Sterling  Henderson  Coutinho
Aspas

Maybe I'm being overly-cautious but I don't want to risk a repeat of last season where we're chasing the game late on.  If we can put the game beyond doubt then I'd like to see the likes of Smith and Rossiter get some game time but I'd rather us start with a strong team and finish them early. 

Offline turkish kopite

• Legacy Fan
  • Black&White, Believe&Fight
« Reply #203 on: January 2, 2014, 02:33:41 pm »
just think if mignolet is injured who will play? we have to give a chance our reserves to get experience
"Waiting for Vodafone Arena to win League Titles"

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: January 2, 2014, 02:33:59 pm »
Squad players starting I hope.

Honestly, this has to be the time we push on the CL spot, go for it full throttle. We're struggling for depth already and it's been a tough christmas period.

----------------Mignolet
Kelly-------Toure----Skrtel-------Smith
------Gerrard (for 60)-Lucas/Rossiter--
Moses---------Alberto----------Cissokho
-------------------Aspas----------------------
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline N0rnIr0nRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #205 on: January 2, 2014, 02:40:16 pm »
Squad players starting I hope.

Honestly, this has to be the time we push on the CL spot, go for it full throttle. We're struggling for depth already and it's been a tough christmas period.

----------------Mignolet
Kelly-------Toure----Skrtel-------Smith
------Gerrard (for 60)-Lucas/Rossiter--
Moses---------Alberto----------Cissokho
-------------------Aspas----------------------

I'd say that team would be very sensible, don't think we will see it though. Suarez, Henderson and Coutinho on the bench in case it goes down the pipe.

I want to see squad players given a chance and ideally they would perform and secure us the win. But I also would love a decent cup run this year. Squad/fringe players step up to the plate! I'm looking at you Cissokho and Aspas!
« Last Edit: January 2, 2014, 02:43:11 pm by N0rnIr0nRed »
"I usually have a second pair of glasses but I can't find them because it's hard to find glasses without glasses!" Jürgen Klopp

Offline Dar

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #206 on: January 2, 2014, 02:40:31 pm »
Start the fringe players, i.e Moses, Alberto, Toure, Aspas.  I wouldn't even have Suarez in the squad for this.

I think the lower league teams up their games 100 fold when the big names start in these early cup games, so simply I keep them out completely.

Offline TomMorganLittle

• Kopite
  • -P-U-N-X-
« Reply #207 on: January 2, 2014, 02:43:30 pm »
Start the fringe players, i.e Moses, Alberto, Toure, Aspas.  I wouldn't even have Suarez in the squad for this.

I think the lower league teams up their games 100 fold when the big names start in these early cup games, so simply I keep them out completely.

What about Ilori, is he worth a shot?
-P-U-N-X-

Bastion of Invincibility

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: January 2, 2014, 02:44:24 pm »
What about Ilori, is he worth a shot?

If Oldham are as physical as last time this is a bad time to throw him into English football IMO
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline N0rnIr0nRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #209 on: January 2, 2014, 02:46:55 pm »
If Oldham are as physical as last time this is a bad time to throw him into English football IMO

At least that shithouse Matt Smith isn't upfront for them anymore :)
"I usually have a second pair of glasses but I can't find them because it's hard to find glasses without glasses!" Jürgen Klopp

Offline serpentnebula

• Main Stander
« Reply #210 on: January 2, 2014, 02:51:21 pm »
Do we really want Rossiter starting? This is an important game for us. I'd stick him on if we're 3-0 up after 70 minutes, but playing him from the start seems like a gamble we don't need to take.

Offline tackleberry11

• Main Stander
« Reply #211 on: January 2, 2014, 02:58:54 pm »
i am sure some 1st team players will start as well as some fringe, reserves or youth players. expect Suarez to be on the bench in case too because Rodgers is usually cautious with these kind of games and Suarez will always want to play anyway.

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: January 2, 2014, 03:11:15 pm »
I don't want to see Suarez, Henderson or Coutinho anywhere near the first 11.  They have played so much football and desperately need to be rested for the league campaign.  Get Ibe, Alberto and Aspas in.  Gerrard to return to get match fitness.  Perhaps look at Ilori to give him a go as we can't afford anymore injuries to the first team right now.

If we're struggling in the second half we can bring out the big guns.

Offline Dar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: January 2, 2014, 03:19:39 pm »
I don't want to see Suarez, Henderson or Coutinho anywhere near the first 11.  They have played so much football and desperately need to be rested for the league campaign.  Get Ibe, Alberto and Aspas in.  Gerrard to return to get match fitness.  Perhaps look at Ilori to give him a go as we can't afford anymore injuries to the first team right now.

To be fair I've never really got having the big guns on the bench its either from the start or out of the squad for me, it's like saying to the players you're putting in 'I'm giving you a chance but I'm not really that confident in you so I'm keeping x,y and z on the bench when were losing 2-1 with 20mins to go'.

Keep the big guns out complelty, sends the message to the players they are good enough to beat Oldham without the pressure of thinking i've got 65mins to play well or Suarez is coming on.
« Last Edit: January 2, 2014, 03:22:55 pm by Dar »

Offline Bincey

• Legacy Fan
  • Is that Joe Pasquale? In the garden?
« Reply #214 on: January 2, 2014, 03:21:21 pm »

Totally different style. Against Mansfield they were trying to play football despite some interesting challenges for the oppo.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: January 2, 2014, 03:23:04 pm »
Well i think we should be ok at home but we seen how Notts County did only a few months back. Think its important to rest key personnel though as top four is our priority and we do seem like genuine challengers for those CL positions currently. I'd go with a mix of youth and experience, vital some of the lads on the fringes get a few minutes.

Jones
Kelly           Toure              Skrtel          Smith

Henderson      Rossiter

Alberto
Aspas                                                     Moses

Suarez (C)

Bench: Mig, Johnson, Agger, Gerrard, Lucas, Sterling, Coutinho

Offline Vortigen

• Anny Roader
« Reply #216 on: January 2, 2014, 03:30:28 pm »
If it weren't for all the injuries, I'd be OK with playing our senior players in this game, but after the luck we've had last week, I am not at all fussed about the FA cup anymore.  We should use it to give youngsters and fringe players a chance to impress, but keep our senior players out of it as much as possible.  We cannot afford any more injuries to first team players.  Suarez, Henderson, Coutinho and Sterling need a rest.     

Online peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: January 2, 2014, 03:31:08 pm »
If this was away i'd want the entire first team put out to make sure we don't lose. However it's an Anfield, on a perfect pitch, so we really shouldn't need to. The pitch should stop Oldham using their physicality to any great danger. On a dodgy surface causing bad first touches it's a different story but not on a carpet like Anfield we should be able to play around them.

So i'd go for.

Jones
Kelly   Toure     Skrtel   Cissokho
                    Lucas
            Gerrard       Tex
Moses                          Alberto
                   Aspas

Also i think it's really strange this hasn't been put on TV. After last years game, even as a neutral, you'd want to see the rematch wouldn't you?
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: January 2, 2014, 03:38:40 pm »
Mix and match it. It's important to keep momentum and some players can still manage perfectly fine IMO. Oldham are a completely different style of side compared to last season. Remember that Sterling got subbed so he should be fine to start. Hendo could play 365 games a year if he wanted and Luis will be pissed off if he doesn't play.

Mignolet

Kelly Toure Agger Smith

Gerrard Henderson

Sterling Alberto Teixeira

Suarez

Get the game killed off and ideally get Gerrard and Luis off early as possible. Would like Rossiter to get his full team debut this game too.

Offline Dar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: January 2, 2014, 03:42:29 pm »
Mix and match it. It's important to keep momentum and some players can still manage perfectly fine IMO. Oldham are a completely different style of side compared to last season. Remember that Sterling got subbed so he should be fine to start. Hendo could play 365 games a year if he wanted and Luis will be pissed off if he doesn't play.

Mignolet

Kelly Toure Agger Smith

Gerrard Henderson

Sterling Alberto Teixeira

Suarez

Get the game killed off and ideally get Gerrard and Luis off early as possible. Would like Rossiter to get his full team debut this game too.

What is the point in playing Suarez? He was carrying a slight niggle against Hull and no doubt one of the Oldham players will be looking to make a name for himself with a few late tackles flying in.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: January 2, 2014, 03:45:50 pm »
What is the point in playing Suarez? He was carrying a slight niggle against Hull and no doubt one of the Oldham players will be looking to make a name for himself with a few late tackles flying in.

To win? He's gonna get that against 90% of teams in the Prem it seems anyway.

Offline Dar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: January 2, 2014, 03:49:30 pm »
To win? He's gonna get that against 90% of teams in the Prem it seems anyway.

Were playing Oldham not Real Madrid.

Offline Anfield Ed

• Middle name "Dick". Wants it hard, wants it fast.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Warrior #224
« Reply #222 on: January 2, 2014, 03:50:59 pm »
Hopefully Jones, Kelly, Toure, Cissokho, Ibe, Aspas and perhaps Rossiter start and get good minutes.

I'd rest completely Suarez and Coutinho. I'd put on the bench Henderson, Gerrard, Agger, Sterling.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: January 2, 2014, 03:52:47 pm »
Were playing Oldham not Real Madrid.

What was the result last season? ;)

Offline Davidbowie

• Legacy Fan
  • The Thin White Duke
« Reply #224 on: January 2, 2014, 03:53:57 pm »
Suarez doesn't need resting, it's not as though he's played 6 CL matches in addition to 4 or 5 league cup games on top of the PL matches as well.

He'll want to start the game and I daresay Rodgers will anyway.
FAME makes a man take things over

Offline GlenJohnson2

• Legacy Fan
  • ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
« Reply #225 on: January 2, 2014, 03:55:58 pm »
I hope we rest Suarez, Coutinho and Henderson for this one.
Manchester United could win fifty titles, but they will always be the Rolling Stones of football. Good, just not quite that band from Liverpool.

You should literally be skinned for such a fucking daft answer :o

Offline Dar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: January 2, 2014, 03:57:00 pm »
What was the result last season? ;)

Away from home, and Suarez started that match and we still lost ;) .

Offline Kite

• The answer my friend, is blowing in the....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: January 2, 2014, 04:00:33 pm »

Totally agree and even though I'm taking my Niece to a rare match we need to give some players a rest.  Great opportunity at this rough time of year.
Who says fatties can't play football.......

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: January 2, 2014, 04:02:23 pm »
Away from home, and Suarez started that match and we still lost ;) .

Exactly! So what makes you think taking him out would help our cause? I'm in the camp that we go out to win every game. We're now back in to the week breaks and the game against Hull wasn't exactly much of a hard working victory really. We can manage the league and FA cup pretty comfortably now. I want us to win the FA cup AND finish in the top 4 (or more. ;) )

Offline SMacDougall

• Kopite
« Reply #229 on: January 2, 2014, 04:04:58 pm »
Got a feeling Alberto will boss it.

Is this on TV?

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: January 2, 2014, 04:06:04 pm »
Exactly! So what makes you think taking him out would help our cause? I'm in the camp that we go out to win every game. We're now back in to the week breaks and the game against Hull wasn't exactly much of a hard working victory really. We can manage the league and FA cup pretty comfortably now. I want us to win the FA cup AND finish in the top 4 (or more. ;) )

And I want a toilet made out of gold ;)

I think we have to be pragmatic, especially with our injuries, unless we bring in 3-5 new players in January. Top 4 is going to be horrifically tight this year and if we have a big match against United coming up i'd rather we were fully focused on that and fit, rather than having a match against Stoke away to worry about before hand, which could contribute further injuries.

We can go for the FA cup every year, and it's boss to win trophies, but it HAS to be our priority to get top 4 this year. If there's a year to break the top 4 then this HAS to be it, if not we lose Suarez and whoever does get it will strengthen hard in the summer with the extra money + CL pull. This is one of the most important 6 month periods in the club's long term future

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #231 on: January 2, 2014, 04:07:50 pm »
Given our injuries there's not that much resting we can actually do. Also, as a priority BR is not going to want to get caught out at the first hurdle. He'll play a first team line-up imo.

I'd like to see Hendo get a day off, hell everybody who is nursing a knock which is everyone really.

Personally I'd play a best-rested line-up: Jones Kelly Toure Agger llori Moses Gerrard Alberto Ibe (if healthy) Aspas Sterling.

and we'd lose and I'd be fired but hey that's why im not in charge.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline proudred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: January 2, 2014, 04:08:12 pm »
Henderson,Sterling,Suarez,Coutinho all on the bench Play Kelly,Moses,Toure,Ilori,Luis Alberto,Smith,Gerrard,Jones,Rossiter,Aspas,Lucas.

Offline proudred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: January 2, 2014, 04:08:51 pm »
Henderson,Sterling,Suarez,Coutinho all on the bench Play Kelly,Moses,Toure,Ilori,Luis Alberto,Smith,Gerrard,Jones,Rossiter,Aspas,Lucas.

Online B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: January 2, 2014, 04:08:57 pm »
Thing is, if you want the squad players you bring in to do well then you need to have a fairly strong team out.

I would love to see

Miggy
Kelly Toure Agger Smith
         Lucas Gerrard
 Sterling  Alberto   Ibe
               Aspas

Maybe Cissokho instead of Smith. But it seems pointless bringing the lad Smith on against Chelsea and then not handing him a start in games like this. I'm not sure if Ibe is recovered yet either, so perhaps Coutinho instead of him. A really solid base down the middle of Toure, Agger, Gerrard and Lucas should be enough to ensure the victory. It also gives Aspas a really good chance to get a goal in and boost his confidence playing in his best position. Alberto obviously needs the minutes to show what he can do.

Managing the squad so that when we need to call upon them they can do the business is just as much as important as a resounding victory. An Alberto and Aspas goal for example would be far more useful going on into the season than a Suarez hatrick.
« Last Edit: January 2, 2014, 04:13:42 pm by Bakez0151 »

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: January 2, 2014, 04:09:30 pm »
And I want a toilet made out of gold ;)

I think we have to be pragmatic, especially with our injuries, unless we bring in 3-5 new players in January. Top 4 is going to be horrifically tight this year and if we have a big match against United coming up i'd rather we were fully focused on that and fit, rather than having a match against Stoke away to worry about before hand, which could contribute further injuries.

We can go for the FA cup every year, and it's boss to win trophies, but it HAS to be our priority to get top 4 this year. If there's a year to break the top 4 then this HAS to be it, if not we lose Suarez and whoever does get it will strengthen hard in the summer with the extra money + CL pull. This is one of the most important 6 month periods in the club's long term future

We're never gonna agree on this. :P I just think the players can manage fine. I'm not one to go worrying that a player might get injured as a player can get injured in any game. Remember, we're playing on Sunday not Saturday as well. :)

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: January 2, 2014, 04:31:44 pm »
Personally I hope they start.  We're back to one game a week now that Christmas is over and provided they're all fit to start I hope we play them.

We'll be back to one game a week after this match, when we play Oldham we'll be playing roughly our 5th game in two weeks. It already sounds like Allen, Henderson and Johnson have been playing through injury, with Sakho and Allen getting sidelined for fatigue related injuries (that's what the experts say anyway).

I guess it's down to preference but with a few players due to return from injury the last thing we need is more players getting sidelined, particularly Sterling, Coutinho and Henderson. If we get can through to Stoke without any problems we could be close to having 17-18 first team players available again, with Allen and Sakho hopefully not too far off.

Offline David Struhme

• Kopite
« Reply #237 on: January 2, 2014, 04:34:01 pm »
Easy win, 5-0 at least and an opportunity to play a few of the fringe players

Jones

Kelly            Toure             Ilori           Smith

Ibe             Rossiter          Alberto       Teixeira

Yesil             Aspas

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
« Reply #238 on: January 2, 2014, 04:34:40 pm »
Can't take these lightly (not that any FA Cup tie can be taken lightly), especially as these knocked us out last year.

I'd go with:

Suarez
Moses Alberto Aspas
Lucas/Henderson Gerrard
Cissokho Agger Toure Kelly
Mignolet

Subs from: Jones, Skrtel, Johnson, Ilori, Smith, Henderson/Lucas, Rossiter, Coutinho, Sterling

We have a full week between this game and Stoke.  More minutes for Cissokho who looked better as the game went on against Hull and more minutes for Aspas to show something and hopefully get a goal, which should do wonders for his confidence and buy him some more time with some of our fans.

Kelly has another chance to improve his match fitness and hopefully he can put in a good performance because Johnson is clearly not right at this moment in time.  Rest Skrtel who has played the most minutes out of all our defenders and give another chance to the Agger/Toure partnership which worked well at the start of the season.

Rest one of Henderson or Lucas, although one has to play in CM.  And rests for Coutinho and Sterling too - don't want them burning out, like what happened to Sterling last season.

Suarez plays for me, he doesn't like resting and his injury history is almost non-existant (touch wood).  Plus he can always come off if the game is going well before the 90 mins are up.  Maybe give Gerrard an hour depending how the game is going as well.
« Last Edit: January 2, 2014, 04:56:31 pm by gray19lfc »

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: January 2, 2014, 04:35:15 pm »
Suarez shouldn't be in the starting 11 - if he gets injured even for a month, we're going to find it difficult in the league. It's all precariously balanced, and to risk him for an FA Cup game against Oldham would be nuts.

In the same vein, I wouldn't want to see Henderson, Lucas, Sterling, Coutinho and Johnson anywhere near the starting 11 either. They've played a lot of football, and again, the last thing we need is them pulling up with injuries because they've been playing so much football lately.

It's a game for Aspas, Moses, Alberto, Gerrard, Toure etc. A bench of the stronger players in case we need them to come on and get a couple of goals, but really, the fringe players should be winning this game.

“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”