Author Topic: Jonathon Patrick Flanagan.  (Read 289566 times)

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
Re: Jonathon Patrick Flanagan.
« Reply #1120 on: February 8, 2014, 10:36:25 pm »
I love him to fucking bits. He's Steve Finnan mk2, and god did I love Steve Finnan.
Does anyone else think he's a Steve Finnan clone or something or maybe I'm going mad. Reminds me a lot of Finnan, this fella.

So you're saying he reminds you of someone but you can't quite put your finger on who?
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline Halcyon Lissome

• Scallion Homeys, Miscellany Shoo or Nicholas Mosely?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • “We murdered them 0-0.”
« Reply #1121 on: February 8, 2014, 11:01:15 pm »
Hope not.  Finnan was extremely overrated by a few on here.  Bar 1 season maybe 2 at a push he was extremely average and poor.  Having the likes of Hyypia and Carra next to him helped him greatly and made him look better than he was.

Steve Finnan was Mr. 7/10. Model of high-performing consistency. If Flano is as good as him we have some full-back.

Although, Finnan had a quality cross that I haven't seen much of from Flano.
★              ★              ★              ★              ★
The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

Offline zip

• Legacy Fan
  • That was liquid football!
« Reply #1122 on: February 8, 2014, 11:07:51 pm »
So you're saying he reminds you of someone but you can't quite put your finger on who?
I think he means our former Irish rightback Steve Finnan
One day, people will hopefully look back and say "I was there son. I was there the year that Spurs won nothing again."

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1123 on: February 8, 2014, 11:09:39 pm »
Flanbeloa, obviously.

Offline exiledinyorkshire

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1124 on: February 8, 2014, 11:10:51 pm »
And the thing that most impresses me about this boy is that he is fulfilling his potential from 2-3 seasons ago. It's like he disappeared for 18 months and now he looks as good in the first team. He did in the reserves. I think that takes a lot for a young lad to keep improving when perhaps it's not going the way you wanted.

I hope this is a sign of things to come, because if I'm honest Robinson was the better prospect  back then. How is he getting on at wolves? If he were to come back next season and kick on like flanno then we wouldn't need to strengthen at left back in the summer.

Flanno is a very good technical player, all the academy kids are now. Exciting times with the youth players. I love it when they are good enough to play at the level we need, and there is a massive lesson to be learnt here because this lad was being derided on here at 18 for not being good enough. As was sterling before Xmas. Rodgers knows, appreciates and more importantly nurtures and plays young talent, good place to be if your young and gifted.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #1125 on: February 8, 2014, 11:21:16 pm »
We've got a right back called Jon Flanagan,
Made us solid at the back again,
Wins the ball and beats a man again,
We've got a right back called Jon Flanagan.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1126 on: February 8, 2014, 11:24:06 pm »
You mean bench?

he's a level above Aly. And he does well on the left.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline HBAHFH

• Main Stander
« Reply #1127 on: February 8, 2014, 11:28:06 pm »
Brilliant.

Offline Beacher

• Main Stander
« Reply #1128 on: February 8, 2014, 11:29:46 pm »
Considering I didn't think he was good enough six months ago, not going to start predicting a glorious future. Must say though, one game at a time he is making me hope and believe there is a player there. Sort of fella that keeps it simple and makes fans happy. Made up for the lad, long may it continue.

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #1129 on: February 8, 2014, 11:38:34 pm »

Fantastic, that. Just like the boy himself. He's growing into a fine reliable player and for me, if fit, doesn't make way for anybody in the team. 

Offline googhead

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1130 on: February 9, 2014, 12:25:32 am »
flanaginho
louie

Offline Kali Yuga

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1131 on: February 9, 2014, 12:30:00 am »
I'm absolutely delighted for him with all the game time he's getting. Really, thoroughly pleased for him. He's doing great, too.
You can cage an animal, but you'll never take away the rage.

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1132 on: February 9, 2014, 12:30:46 am »
He's convincing me that we don't need to buy a right back this summer. He can rotate with Glen next season and after that, make the position truly his own.

Wonderful player. He's my age, he's living my dream and we're both enjoying every minute of it. I thought he was down and out, off for a journeyman career in the lower leagues, and he's proved me wrong so brilliantly. He's worked so bloody hard to get a place in our team and he's just put in 100% performances again and again. Courage, determination, gusto and underrated technical skill. Love this guy. Going to enjoy watching him for the next decade. He can be the Carragher of my generation.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #1133 on: February 9, 2014, 12:30:51 am »
That spell at Fiorentina must have done him wonders. No doubt I'd have him ahead of Glen Johnson at the moment.

Offline evie

• "Might have to think about it for a bit, k? No! That's not what I meant! Damn....." Prefers to hold it in.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hero
« Reply #1134 on: February 9, 2014, 12:52:56 am »

Offline Durlmints

• Kicks Ass. Categorically denies being the now infamous antihero 'Chris from Wavertree'. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. Who knows? Henry the Mild Mannered Janitor? COULD BEEEE!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mané & Salah, your defence is terrified!
« Reply #1135 on: February 9, 2014, 01:17:09 am »
1st choice RB and LB

Anyone got an argument against that?

Two Flanagans > One Flanagan
Crows attacked a pensioner in Hamburg after she mimicked a crow's call.
You claim a Wagon Wheel is a biscuit and you have the audacity to stick a Kit Kat in goal? You sir are a du

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1136 on: February 9, 2014, 01:31:26 am »
How can you not love Jon Flanagan?

Three or four months ago I thought I would never see him in a Liverpool shirt again.  Now I really believe that we're going to see him in one for many years to come.  He's worked hard for an opportunity and is giving everything he has to prove he belongs in this Liverpool team.

Thought he was outstanding again today, never stopped running, never shirked a challenge, always looked to get on the ball and do something with it.  This kid encapsulates everything that is good about this game, he's grown up supporting his hometown club and through sheer hard work and a determination to succeed he now looks every inch a Liverpool player. 

Offline SheikhMo

• Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #1137 on: February 9, 2014, 01:32:03 am »
The Red Cafu.
"If you're struggling in a game you can either do two things, send your centre back (Robert Huth) up front as a centre forward or use Luis Garcia between the lines." - Rafa Benitez

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #1138 on: February 9, 2014, 01:51:14 am »
All in a day's work for our Flano.

Absolutely disgusted Steve didn't pass the armband to him when he came off. Fucking race traitor.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline ArchieC

• Legacy Fan
  • Once a Red Always a Red WE BLEED RED!!
« Reply #1139 on: February 9, 2014, 02:00:15 am »
Love this kid, love the determination, love everything about him. Well done son!
We all bleed RED!!

Offline houkura

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1140 on: February 9, 2014, 02:46:22 am »
Scouse Cafu.

Read that Cafu heard about Flanagan and was going to watch the game to see if he is living up to the name. Bet he was a wee bit impressed.
"Good to be here, good to be anywhere."  --Keith Richards

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1141 on: February 9, 2014, 02:50:47 am »
Google search cafu. See articles talking about how Flanno is the next cafu. I love the British hype machine. To be fair he was absolutely superb today, if he keeps on improving it will save us the trouble of finding a first choice full back.

Offline googhead

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1142 on: February 9, 2014, 03:02:31 am »
All in a day's work for our Flano.

Absolutely disgusted Steve didn't pass the armband to him when he came off. Fucking race traitor.
I didnt see who got the armband after suarez went off was it hendo?
louie

Offline XeeLFC

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1143 on: February 9, 2014, 03:28:41 am »

Offline Teamboca

• Gutted. Like a fish, a FISH, I tells ya!
  • Anny Roader
  • Will get to anfield at some point in my life
« Reply #1144 on: February 9, 2014, 03:32:05 am »

Thanks these were what i was asking for

Offline ericthered10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1145 on: February 9, 2014, 03:40:57 am »
I didnt see who got the armband after suarez went off was it hendo?
Yep

Offline ericthered10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1146 on: February 9, 2014, 03:42:19 am »
When we had them pinned in their half at the end, how good was he at redistributing their clearances with incisive one or two touch passes. Impressive

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1147 on: February 9, 2014, 03:45:37 am »

He's old skool, the guy defends brilliantly, tackes fiercely and makes the simple pass, you get the feeling he'd die for the fucking shirt and there is something in tha

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #1148 on: February 9, 2014, 04:38:39 am »
Hey, did anyone see Cazorla today?
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #1149 on: February 9, 2014, 05:27:59 am »
We all dream of a team of Flanagans.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline kevin87

• Kopite
« Reply #1150 on: February 9, 2014, 06:11:47 am »
And the thing that most impresses me about this boy is that he is fulfilling his potential from 2-3 seasons ago. It's like he disappeared for 18 months and now he looks as good in the first team. He did in the reserves. I think that takes a lot for a young lad to keep improving when perhaps it's not going the way you wanted.

I hope this is a sign of things to come, because if I'm honest Robinson was the better prospect  back then. How is he getting on at wolves? If he were to come back next season and kick on like flanno then we wouldn't need to strengthen at left back in the summer.

Flanno is a very good technical player, all the academy kids are now. Exciting times with the youth players. I love it when they are good enough to play at the level we need, and there is a massive lesson to be learnt here because this lad was being derided on here at 18 for not being good enough. As was sterling before Xmas. Rodgers knows, appreciates and more importantly nurtures and plays young talent, good place to be if your young and gifted.

It's such a good lesson to us all for why we should never write of youth players if they have not "made it" by the age of 18/19. All young players develop mentally and physically at different rates.

Ilori for example may get to 22 and just click into gear, and off he goes similar to flanno now.

Same goes for all our promising young players like texiera, suso, Dunn, Lussey etc...

What I love about flanno though is he is just so.... Solid. In every sense of the word. Strong in a tackle, physically strong, fearless heading.

The boy has cult hero written all over him.

Offline jboy14

• Kopite
« Reply #1151 on: February 9, 2014, 06:35:45 am »
I've always rated Flanagan but I thought his lack of pace would stop him having a career here. So glad he's proven me and many others wrong with superb performances. Our academy is really starting to bear fruit now and long may it continue.
Of all the unimportant things in life, football is the most important.

Offline lgvkarlos

• Finnished with his shit punnery now.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1152 on: February 9, 2014, 06:41:40 am »
It's such a good lesson to us all for why we should never write of youth players if they have not "made it" by the age of 18/19. All young players develop mentally and physically at different rates.

Ilori for example may get to 22 and just click into gear, and off he goes similar to flanno now.

Same goes for all our promising young players like texiera, suso, Dunn, Lussey etc...

What I love about flanno though is he is just so.... Solid. In every sense of the word. Strong in a tackle, physically strong, fearless heading.

The boy has cult hero written all over him.
Totally agree , great post mate.

Offline Kop Yank

• Main Stander
« Reply #1153 on: February 9, 2014, 07:20:34 am »
Rogers trust in Flano clicked this entire game into place in my opinion.  People are so quick to judge fullbacks in isolation.  I judge them by the amount of support they need.

By flipping the left wing suarez/ sturridge (20 point defensive value) with the sterling (35 defensive value ), Rogers balanced the squad.

For example.... Assuming the above values and that Sissoko is about ten points less defensive value than flano:  until today's game, they had lined up with 20 points defensive value on the left and 45 points defensive value on the right.

Flanos defensive strength allowed for a swap today.  His extra ten points offsets suarez defensive weakness on the right. It was 30 on the left and 35 on the right today.

Plus Flano's precision one touch ability pairs well with Suarez's precision in the same way sissoko's lack thereof seems to mesh with Sterlings stupid pace.

Swiss watch on the right.  Entropy on the Left.
Rodgers is so old scool, i only see him in black and white.

Offline Flinstone

• Whatever you like. Would like to slip it in without making it awkward... Chinese Information Minister
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1154 on: February 9, 2014, 07:59:14 am »
Improving continuously.

He's got an engine...y'know with flanno,glen,kelly,wisdom we might just neglect the Rb slot in the summer.

He'll be here for a while...well fking done
The West is finished, China is the future

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
  • Only got 3 bullets and there's 4 of Motley Crew
« Reply #1155 on: February 9, 2014, 08:21:24 am »
Yep

He gave it to Henderson who passed it to Skrytl

Too late for a World Cup for Flanno?
We'll See Things They'll Never See

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
  • Only got 3 bullets and there's 4 of Motley Crew
« Reply #1156 on: February 9, 2014, 08:23:12 am »
Rogers trust in Flano clicked this entire game into place in my opinion.  People are so quick to judge fullbacks in isolation.  I judge them by the amount of support they need.

By flipping the left wing suarez/ sturridge (20 point defensive value) with the sterling (35 defensive value ), Rogers balanced the squad.

For example.... Assuming the above values and that Sissoko is about ten points less defensive value than flano:  until today's game, they had lined up with 20 points defensive value on the left and 45 points defensive value on the right.

Flanos defensive strength allowed for a swap today.  His extra ten points offsets suarez defensive weakness on the right. It was 30 on the left and 35 on the right today.

Plus Flano's precision one touch ability pairs well with Suarez's precision in the same way sissoko's lack thereof seems to mesh with Sterlings stupid pace.

WTF?

I just think he's playing well
We'll See Things They'll Never See

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #1157 on: February 9, 2014, 08:30:19 am »

Ah so that's what it was. All becomes clear now.

Cheers Kop Yank.

;D

Offline TonezNZ

• Kemlynite
  • He's big and hes fookin' hard!
« Reply #1158 on: February 9, 2014, 08:31:13 am »

Fuckin awesome! It's so good to see him flourish and proving critics wrong, he's looking more and more comfortable and can see why people are comparing him to Gary Neville, I've also heard that he's quite vocal in the dressing room! That RB posi can be his for the next 2 decades!

Offline redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
« Reply #1159 on: February 9, 2014, 08:33:40 am »

How's the weather in Noo Yawk?

Entropy on the left eh?  Yes, I did Thermodynamics many many moons ago but leave it out of Flannos thread.

Defensive value sounds like a football/gridiron measure which we don't use here unless I've missed out.   :-\
We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!