Author Topic: Raheem Shaquille Sterling  (Read 679261 times)

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Raheem Shaquille Sterling
« Reply #4160 on: June 10, 2014, 11:16:01 pm »
This would actually make more sense as he can use his energy on Pirlo to much better effect than Welbeck!
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4161 on: June 10, 2014, 11:21:35 pm »
Having Welbeck try and mark Pirlo is ridiculous. It's like trying to get a golden retriever to stop a tennis ball machine. He'll run around, catch a few, but get worn down and defeated. Because one is a machine designed for a very specific purpose that it is peerless at, and the other is a fucking dog.
In all fairness, Welbeck did a good job of marking Alonso in the Champions League for United last season. It's a much better idea than Rooney marking Pirlo certainly.

Although if what The Mirror are saying is true, Sterling is a better idea. Pirlo is someone you can hurt if you close him down. He's not too mobile, he needs two or three touches on the ball and when you win the ball off him or off another Italian player, you can just attack the space either side of him because he cannot defend open spaces. Putting Sterling there is a very good idea.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline LFC UNTIL THE MANAGER IS NO LONGER DESERVING OF MY SYMPATHY

• Everyone's shit. Especially me...Yeah! LFC for Life. He takes everything up to date and on the chin.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4162 on: June 10, 2014, 11:24:51 pm »
That would be tactical masterstroke from Hodge imo. Raheem was really good for us at the tip of our diamond formation and I think this could be his future position. Really great news for me.

Gary Neville is a big fan of Sterling, wouldn't be surprised if he is having a big influence here.

Did Roy ever not play anything other than 4-4-2 until Gary Neville was introduced into the set up?

Anyway, Sterling is probably the ace in England's pack and I think it would be a great decision. 

He looks so cool and composed, I think he is ready to explode in this world cup.
@LFC4LIFENET

Offline GerrardRock2

• Good for upset tummies.....
  • No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • I'm muted, not sure why? Allow in-match threads
« Reply #4163 on: June 10, 2014, 11:43:06 pm »
Sterling played in the No 10 role behind Sturridge for an entire practice match, with Wayne Rooney out wide.
[Telegraph]

That would be tactical masterstroke from Hodge imo. Raheem was really good for us at the tip of our diamond formation and I think this could be his future position. Really great news for me.

1) It's really just building on the work of Brendo (that was the masterstroke)
2) I think the Telegraph should clarify, does "out wide" mean on the bench? That's exactly what the fuck it should mean with respect to Shrek.

Offline dmorgan

• Started well, turned out a bit meh.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Going, Going....gone.
« Reply #4164 on: June 11, 2014, 08:39:47 am »
Playing Raheem at the no 10 role will confound a lot of opposition managers....he is capable of just about terrorising any defensive setup

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #4165 on: June 11, 2014, 09:26:12 am »
I'm excited for Raheem, he could burst into this World Cup in an even bigger way that Michael Owen in 1998.

Hope he murders Italy but we all have to withstand the hype train if he does.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline DeLeiva

• StanDan
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA -
Raheem Shaquille Sterling
« Reply #4166 on: June 11, 2014, 09:47:01 am »
I'm excited for Raheem, he could burst into this World Cup in an even bigger way that Michael Owen in 1998.

It was either going to happen in the WC or the CL next year, both these competitions will put him right
at the top of the list of talented young footballers.

I think he is lucky that he'll have the likes of Stevie G, Steve Peters and the other Liverpool lads around him
to keep him grounded and focused during the World Cup.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 09:56:57 am by DeLeiva »

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #4167 on: June 11, 2014, 09:48:39 am »
Words you never expect to see linked  Tactical Masterstroke + Hodge
Mellowing and Retired, and stayed around long enough to watch the Tories implode

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #4168 on: June 11, 2014, 09:54:53 am »
Ohh...Wellbeck injured. Raheem may start after all :)

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4169 on: June 11, 2014, 09:57:29 am »

When Owen scored 'that' goal, he pretty much ceased to be 'Liverpool's Michael Owen' and became 'England's Michael Owen'.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #4170 on: June 11, 2014, 10:24:03 am »
Ohh...Wellbeck injured. Raheem may start after all :)
Is it bad that I'm quite pleased and believe it will be a help to England? I mean, we don't want injured players, but if he was indeed going to start Welbeck, then having him taken out of contention only helps matters. It removes choice. In this case, it's removing the wrong choice. Speaking of wrong choices, where's Wayne?
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #4171 on: June 11, 2014, 10:29:34 am »
Ridiculous that he only gets to play because Welbeck is injured. He should be starting because he's much better than Welbeck. 
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #4172 on: June 11, 2014, 10:31:12 am »
Ridiculous that he only gets to play because Welbeck is injured. He should be starting because he's much better than Welbeck.
You could extend that to a further three or so English players. In terms of talent or output, Welbeck shouldn't be near that starting XI.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #4173 on: June 11, 2014, 10:37:13 am »
You could extend that to a further three or so English players. In terms of talent or output, Welbeck shouldn't be near that starting XI.
The thing is Welbeck is a Hodgson type player, similar to Milner. They can offer some attacking threat but they also offer hard work and will willingly get back and narrow the midfield to help out the defensive side of the game. Hodgson would love a team of Milner's and Welbeck's if he could.

But Sterling offers just as much off the ball as those two but that is often overshadowed by what he does on the ball and so isn't talked about as much.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline DeLeiva

• StanDan
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA -
« Reply #4174 on: June 11, 2014, 10:46:06 am »
Surely since the rumour is that Sterling will play the No. 10 it means that Roy is going to play the diamond?

Sterling in behind Sturridge and Rooney?

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #4175 on: June 11, 2014, 10:49:27 am »
Surely since the rumour is that Sterling will play the No. 10 it means that Roy is going to play the diamond?

Rodgers:
"A diamond is a difficult formation to play - it's very complex with the movement patterns and the pressure. But we've worked on it and how they have implemented it has been superb.

Good luck with that under Hodgson.

Offline DeLeiva

• StanDan
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA -
« Reply #4176 on: June 11, 2014, 10:52:30 am »
Good luck with that under Hodgson.

Raheem: "Just go stand over there Old Fella, we'll sort this"

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #4177 on: June 11, 2014, 10:53:40 am »
Raheem: "Just go stand over there Old Fella, we'll sort this"
:D

Offline L.Suarez

• Kopite
  • When there snow hope, support.
« Reply #4178 on: June 11, 2014, 10:57:13 am »
Sturridge - Rooney
Sterling
Wilshire - Hendo
Gerrard

Dont see why it wont work, but Hodgee didn't try it in any of the friendlies, i can't see him playing without typical wingers.

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4179 on: June 11, 2014, 11:11:52 am »
Hoping Hodgson does the right thing and starts Sterling. Can see him doing good things from either out wide or in the no 10 spot.
THOSE AREN'T FINGERS. THOSE ARE SCARF TASSELLS.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4180 on: June 11, 2014, 11:14:15 am »
Sturridge - Rooney
Sterling
Wilshire - Hendo
Gerrard

Dont see why it wont work, but Hodgee didn't try it in any of the friendlies, i can't see him playing without typical wingers.

That is what Rodgers would do but I don't think Hedwig would. I fancy the main reason he wants Sterling in the no.10 role is to get him on to Pirlo.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #4181 on: June 11, 2014, 11:52:01 am »
Sounds almost... promising.

Offline ollick

• Huge Dick..and a Big Knob too!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Arghhhh
« Reply #4182 on: June 11, 2014, 11:58:30 am »
Sturridge - Rooney
Sterling
Wilshire - Hendo
Gerrard

I honestly, even as a Liverpool fan think that this would be the better option.

Sturridge - Lambert
Sterling
Wilshire - Hendo
Gerrard

Think that Lambert would offer more in terms of link up play, control and a different threat than Rooney if playing alongside Sturridge.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 12:00:09 pm by ollick »
Why do people quote other people for the sigs?  What' the point?

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #4183 on: June 11, 2014, 12:07:55 pm »
. Rooney hasn't done dick at the club or international level of significant relevance in the better part of 6-8 years.
On the contrary, the current contract Rooney got out of the Mancs is the most remarkable thing I have ever witnessed an English footballer do in my life.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline GerrardRock2

• Good for upset tummies.....
  • No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • I'm muted, not sure why? Allow in-match threads
« Reply #4184 on: June 11, 2014, 02:16:06 pm »
On the contrary, the current contract Rooney got out of the Mancs is the most remarkable thing I have ever witnessed an English footballer do in my life.

Fair, my comment was directed mainly towards his game contributions. Seriously, is there another "big game player" who has done so little in actual big games?  Although, I wouldn't call Rooney's deal astonishing in light of Joe Cole's latest deal with Villa, the guys breath must turn into gold as he speaks.

Offline JustDan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4185 on: June 11, 2014, 02:17:11 pm »
Nobody knows whether he would or wouldn't have started if Welbeck wasn't injured, so why state it as fact? To be honest, I have felt for a while that Sterling had a very good chance of starting. Now, with everything that has been coming out about him tearing it up in training, it seems he was more than likely heading for a starting spot regardless.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4186 on: June 11, 2014, 02:21:00 pm »
He's the best attacking player in that team. He'll be starting by the end of the group stage if not the first game. There's no way he's going to be on the bench. It'll she quite fun seeing him up against Suarez as normally those two are partners in crime ha.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline fillmein777

• Main Stander
« Reply #4187 on: June 11, 2014, 02:31:32 pm »
I honestly, even as a Liverpool fan think that this would be the better option.

Sturridge - Lambert
Sterling
Wilshire - Hendo
Gerrard

Think that Lambert would offer more in terms of link up play, control and a different threat than Rooney if playing alongside Sturridge.

Only problem with those formations and personnel is lack of width.  We can't afford Baines and Johnson to both bomb on as we'll get caught - Jags and Cahill are both slow(ish). 

Sturridge

Rooney Barkley Sterling

Gerrard  Henderson

That's what I would go with.

Offline LFCDynamic

• Legacy Fan
  • To support a team in bad times shows character!
    • LFCDynamic - I Have a Question
« Reply #4188 on: June 11, 2014, 02:41:31 pm »
Am I the only one here who rates Rooney?

I think he played well in the midfield role for United and could be used there again for England. But, well it's just me who thinks that :P
Most of you probably think its a stupid idea, but I think it could work.

What I had in mind was something like this:

Sterling....Lambert
..............................Sturridge

.....Rooney....................Henderson
......................Gerrard
Baines....Jagielka..............Cahill...........Glen
........................Hart

Maybe Barkley in for lambert with sturridge up top...
To support a team in success is easy. But, to support a team even during bad times shows real character.

Offline Pelé as a Comedian

• The seeker of the True Cockroach. Forgetful.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4189 on: June 11, 2014, 03:02:35 pm »
could work. in theory. but that is a very very compact side, no width at all almost except from the fullbacks, unless you make Sterling stay out wide, possibly switch Sterling and Sturridge

Online wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #4190 on: June 11, 2014, 03:04:29 pm »
Been reading the press this morning. I think they underestimate Sterling's defensive capabilities. He has shown this season that he is a damn good defender when he needs to be. I'd also rather have him starting counter attacks from any balls won off Pirlo. Welbeck would probably win a few balls too, but it won't do much good if it doesn't result in a goal.

Offline Carlito Roberto

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4191 on: June 11, 2014, 03:11:19 pm »

Not really.

He plays 4-2-3-1 so it will be Sterling behind Sturridge with Rooney and Milner either side.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4192 on: June 11, 2014, 03:12:51 pm »
Been reading the press this morning. I think they underestimate Sterling's defensive capabilities. He has shown this season that he is a damn good defender when he needs to be. I'd also rather have him starting counter attacks from any balls won off Pirlo. Welbeck would probably win a few balls too, but it won't do much good if it doesn't result in a goal.

He was also underestimated as simply a pace merchant when he initially got into the team but he's proved he's so much more than that. Just like he's shown how strong he is against bigger opponents and how he's capable when his team don't have the ball.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4193 on: June 11, 2014, 06:03:14 pm »

Raheem: 'Sturridge? He's a striker'

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4194 on: June 11, 2014, 06:24:32 pm »
;D
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline LFCDynamic

• Legacy Fan
  • To support a team in bad times shows character!
    • LFCDynamic - I Have a Question
« Reply #4195 on: June 11, 2014, 06:34:14 pm »
:lmao :lmao :lmao
To support a team in success is easy. But, to support a team even during bad times shows real character.

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #4196 on: June 11, 2014, 06:34:58 pm »
Sturridge - Rooney
Sterling
Wilshire - Hendo
Gerrard

This 100x this, nice balance as Henderson is right footed and Wilshere left and both have a good engine to cover the flanks.
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline DeLeiva

• StanDan
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA -
« Reply #4197 on: June 11, 2014, 06:42:56 pm »

It's called pass and move Roy.

I pass to him and then move to there

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #4198 on: June 11, 2014, 07:05:05 pm »

The problem is Sterling has been taught that pushing a player back towards his own goal is how to defend. With England they will want him to prioritise maintaining shape instead of applying pressure. There is no point in having 9 outfield players maintaining shape and just Sterling pressuring Pirlo as nobody is blocking his passing lanes. That is the problem for me regardless of who marks Pirlo.

Pirlo was a nightmare for England in the Euro's as they stood off Italy and let him pick out any passes he wants. Either England as a whole rectify that or Sterling will have the impossible task of preventing Pirlo from picking out easy passes to players around him.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline Pelé as a Comedian

• The seeker of the True Cockroach. Forgetful.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4199 on: June 11, 2014, 08:53:29 pm »
expecting great things from Sterling is all well and fine, but i urge people not to get caught up in this chance he has. for all we know he'll play a limited role for England and they don't get out of their group..