Author Topic: LFC sign Mamadou Sakho  (Read 308292 times)

Offline -Daws-

• Legacy Fan
  • No longer a teenage Rafa, still no goatee.
Re: LFC sign Mamadou Sakho
« Reply #1640 on: November 22, 2013, 12:48:03 am »
Everyone is chilling out  and no one is going overboard he was outstanding for France can't see why we can't appreciate that.

Fanboyism, that.
It's hard enough remembering my opinions without remembering my reasons for them.

Offline -Daws-

• Legacy Fan
  • No longer a teenage Rafa, still no goatee.
« Reply #1641 on: November 22, 2013, 01:25:54 am »
Agger is not a left back. Very few centre backs are. Have people forgotten Adam Johnson so quickly?

Maldini, Chiellini, Vertonghen, Vermarlaen, Carra, Ramos, Albiol, Abidal, Gallas, Ivanovic, Smalling.

Just off the top of my head like, but that isn't a bad bunch. What qualities does Agger fundamentally lack that means he couldn't do a job at left back?
It's hard enough remembering my opinions without remembering my reasons for them.

Offline The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1642 on: November 22, 2013, 01:43:52 am »
There were many factors that contributed to our defeat against Southampton, and playing four at the back was one of them. We fundamentally lacked width playing with no attacking full backs and no wingers. Had we had a wide player further forward who could genuinely stretch the play on a consistent basis then we probably wouldn’t have had such an issue controlling the play in possession, although we would have still struggled to press effectively in the wide areas. Sakho had a bit of a shocker that day and I think Agger would have perhaps been the better option at left back in hindsight, but I guess as the defence was quite untested at that point, Rodgers wanted the familiarity of Agger and Sktrel partnering one another and the two new centre halves to be in the less pressurised wide areas, especially considering how well Soton press the game at the front. I think swapping Agger and Sakho could make a difference here, and you underestimate how Johnson can influence width in attacking areas.

Look at it more as a back three with Skrtel right, Sakho central (directly competing 1v1 against Lukaku – our best option personnel wise to deal with his threat) and Agger left. With Agger dropping inside from left back it allows Johnson far further to roam with the safety net of Skrtel behind him and a tactically aware, hard-working Henderson ahead, Johnson will get free reign with Baines pushing forward (covered by Skrtel) and the centre half (Distin probably) will come out towards him at him at his peril with Luis and Daniel matching them 1v1 at centre half and leaving one of those two unmarked. The space Johnson will get because of Aggers inclusion could be instrumental in turning the game our way tactically.

Let’s not forget that Agger is pretty decent with the ball himself. He may not provide pure width but he can carry the ball comfortably into the oppositions half from the area he would play and the trick will probably be to ask Coutinho to hold width from the left hand side high up the pitch to try to and isolate Coleman and get him 1v1. That leaves us with Coutinho, Suarez and Sturridge all playing 1v1 against Coleman, Jagielka and Distin, with Johnson as a fairly consistent outlet. You have to fancy us in these positions and it still leaves a solid base of Henderson, Gerrard, Lucas, Skrtel, Sakho and Agger in behind it defending Baines, Barkley, Mirallas, Pienaar and Lukaku. That’s 6v5 in our favour.

All this comes about because of Aggers inclusion at left back. The fact that Agger is not ‘mindblowingly slow’ (which of course isn’t even a word) and is very technical on the ball makes it conceivable. If Enrique were available we would be more balanced, but I don’t fancy Cissoko vs Pienaar as much as Agger vs Pienaar for a start before we even get into anything tactical, so it’s Agger all day long for me. OMG right1?
Why do you slaughter me for my opinion?  :'(

you slaughterer!

Offline fewmin' bedwetter

• Would appear to have great expectations......
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1643 on: November 22, 2013, 01:49:38 am »
I've said before, I think Agger is the best left back at the club.
I would be looking at Sakho at left centre back and Agger at left back at least until Enrique gets back.
After all we decided to spend 16 million on someone who plays in the same position as one of our best and most senior players,
and now we've got to try fit them both in.
And for me - not being a fan of three at the back - this is the way to do it.
NEVER starts a sentence with, "So..."

Offline RoshanA

• Shows some fawcets of Paul Merson's character. Rashid clone. Lucas Leiva, midfield saviour
  • Kopite
« Reply #1644 on: November 22, 2013, 01:55:10 am »
I've said before, I think Agger is the best left back at the club.
I would be looking at Sakho at left centre back and Agger at left back at least until Enrique gets back.
After all we decided to spend 16 million on someone who plays in the same position as one of our best and most senior players,
and now we've got to try fit them both in.
And for me - not being a fan of three at the back - this is the way to do it.

Which games have you seen of Agger at left back to come to this conclusion?

• Kopite
« Reply #1645 on: November 22, 2013, 01:59:26 am »
Which games have you seen of Agger at left back to come to this conclusion?
Not many, it's true :) Maybe it was just a couple, was it last season or the season before I can't remember.
But he looked absolutely to the manor born there.

Offline Pinky_Bieber

• shit fan whose IQ is unlikely to be exceeding 59
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1646 on: November 22, 2013, 03:03:50 am »
Not many, it's true :) Maybe it was just a couple, was it last season or the season before I can't remember.

he's no better left back than Enrique or Cisokho...he's a cb, and he's a better footballer overall than Enrique or Cisokho, but he's no better lb than them
YNWA

• Kopite
« Reply #1647 on: November 22, 2013, 03:39:43 am »
he's no better left back than Enrique or Cisokho...he's a cb, and he's a better footballer overall than Enrique or Cisokho, but he's no better lb than them

I recall Agger bringing his quality on the ball to the left back role effortlessly, and giving us a real composure on that side of the pitch. And just as importantly, I don't recall anyone getting the better of him, and I would be quite confident that he would have Mirallas or whoever it might be in his pocket.

Online Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1648 on: November 22, 2013, 03:49:35 am »
And just as importantly, I don't recall anyone getting the better of him, and I would be quite confident that he would have Mirallas or whoever it might be in his pocket.

Adam Johnson.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline IndianRed

• Legacy Fan
  • Derp Derp
« Reply #1649 on: November 22, 2013, 07:29:51 am »

The only time that he has played at LB for LFC was under Hodgson, and he got absolutely slaughtered by Adam Johnson in a 3-0 loss to City. Whilst one game against City, that too under the Owl, is no benchmark to judge Agger's competency as a LB, there is absolutely zero evidence to back your claim that Agger looked born to play at LB. If anything, playing him at CB always makes us look a whole lot better as a passing unit. We'd be better served trying to fit Agger or Sakho on the right side of the central defense than trying to shoehorn Agger into a fullback position.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #1650 on: November 22, 2013, 08:56:44 am »
Maldini, Chiellini, Vertonghen, Vermarlaen, Carra, Ramos, Albiol, Abidal, Gallas, Ivanovic, Smalling.

Just off the top of my head like, but that isn't a bad bunch. What qualities does Agger fundamentally lack that means he couldn't do a job at left back?

Not bad for the top of your head (you might have added Toure as well) but not convinced. Agger "could do a job" I suppose. But we need more than that. Plus there's always a chance he'd run into another Adam Johnson. (The same applies to all our other centre backs too).
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #1651 on: November 22, 2013, 09:40:50 am »
Not bad for the top of your head (you might have added Toure as well) but not convinced. Agger "could do a job" I suppose. But we need more than that. Plus there's always a chance he'd run into another Adam Johnson. (The same applies to all our other centre backs too).

Johnson can be the one to provide width and remain in the opposition half, Agger only has to remain solid and give the likes of Coutinho, Suarez and Sturridge to attack with impunity. I liken the dynamic to Carra and Babbel.

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #1652 on: November 22, 2013, 12:04:48 pm »
To be fair we were horrendous overall in that City game so not sure if Adam Johnson should be referenced.

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1653 on: November 22, 2013, 01:24:11 pm »
To be fair we were horrendous overall in that City game so not sure if Adam Johnson should be referenced.

last season v city 2-2 we were good.

what was his thinking for aguerros goal?
Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline Durlmints

• Kicks Ass. Categorically denies being the now infamous antihero 'Chris from Wavertree'. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. Who knows? Henry the Mild Mannered Janitor? COULD BEEEE!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mané & Salah, your defence is terrified!
« Reply #1654 on: November 22, 2013, 01:41:21 pm »

He was thinking that his goalkeeper probably wouldn't sprint out to the edge of the box like a maniac.
Crows attacked a pensioner in Hamburg after she mimicked a crow's call.
You claim a Wagon Wheel is a biscuit and you have the audacity to stick a Kit Kat in goal? You sir are a du

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #1655 on: November 22, 2013, 01:56:10 pm »
The only time that he has played at LB for LFC was under Hodgson, and he got absolutely slaughtered by Adam Johnson in a 3-0 loss to City. Whilst one game against City, that too under the Owl, is no benchmark to judge Agger's competency as a LB, there is absolutely zero evidence to back your claim that Agger looked born to play at LB. If anything, playing him at CB always makes us look a whole lot better as a passing unit. We'd be better served trying to fit Agger or Sakho on the right side of the central defense than trying to shoehorn Agger into a fullback position.

Are you 100% certain the statement in bold is accurate? Honest question.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #1656 on: November 22, 2013, 01:57:27 pm »
He was thinking that his goalkeeper probably wouldn't sprint out to the edge of the box like a maniac.

There must be something in the City air supply that makes goal keepers do this.

Offline Hank Scorpio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #1657 on: November 22, 2013, 02:24:47 pm »

Are we talking about the same game?  I'm talking about the 3-0 which I think was Hodgson's 2nd game in charge.

Offline IndianRed

• Legacy Fan
  • Derp Derp
« Reply #1658 on: November 22, 2013, 02:27:56 pm »
Are you 100% certain the statement in bold is accurate? Honest question.

As far as I can remember, yeah mate. Rafa never used him there. Kenny preferred to turn to youth and played Jack Robinson there when Aurelio was injured (surprise surprise :) ). And then Kenny bought Enrique to play at LB in the summer transfer window. Rodgers has also always used Agger at CB where he is most effective at building the play from the back and has also chosen to use even Downing and Sakho at LB over Agger. The only LFC manager who has played Agger at LB was the Owl, and then he dropped Agger from the side after Agger told him exactly what he thought of his "unloading" tactics.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 02:29:41 pm by IndianRed »

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #1659 on: November 22, 2013, 02:32:02 pm »
As far as I can remember, yeah mate. Rafa never used him there. Kenny preferred to turn to youth and played Jack Robinson there when Aurelio was injured (surprise surprise :) ). And then Kenny bought Enrique to play at LB in the summer transfer window. Rodgers has also always used Agger at CB where he is most effective at building the play from the back and has also chosen to use even Downing and Sakho at LB over Agger. The only LFC manager who has played Agger at LB was the Owl, and then he dropped Agger from the side after Agger told him exactly what he thought of his "unloading" tactics.
For what it's worth I think you're right.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #1660 on: November 22, 2013, 04:27:01 pm »

Agger played left back under Rafa. End of the 2009-10 season. Chelsea, Burnley and West Ham games spring to mind.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline brownie 09

• Long-winded.....but never mind :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • twitter - brownie09RAWK
« Reply #1661 on: November 22, 2013, 04:37:53 pm »

Agger played left back under Rafa. End of the 2009-10 season. Chelsea, Burnley and West Ham games spring to mind.
yeah wasn't he left back in that game against Chelsea where he scored of that worked freekick?

Offline IndianRed

• Legacy Fan
  • Derp Derp
« Reply #1662 on: November 22, 2013, 05:20:33 pm »

Damn, that's me told. Any idea how he did, especially the Chelsea game (I'm thinking we lost that one 2-0 correct?).

yeah wasn't he left back in that game against Chelsea where he scored of that worked freekick?

Nah, he played CB in that one. I'm sure of that.

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Tight-fisted and unimaginative moany wannabe feedback tourist. More Michael O'Leary than Dermot...but will also give out noshes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1663 on: November 22, 2013, 06:03:51 pm »
Remember Agger returning from injury twice and coming on as a LB, did very well. Besides that, in the Hodgson era, he was poor - just as the rest of the team.

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #1664 on: November 22, 2013, 07:41:43 pm »
Agger played left back when we won away at Stoke in the Carling Cup under Kenny.

I don't think it's a goer long-term, but there are days like tomorrow where I'd be tempted to suck it up and see it. Or switch back to a back 3. If our options really are as limited as suggested going in to tomorrow, I think I'd rather Johnson left back than Agger.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1665 on: November 22, 2013, 08:08:54 pm »
Are we talking about the same game?  I'm talking about the 3-0 which I think was Hodgson's 2nd game in charge.

no the 2-2 last season.
shocking bit of play and pepe got the blame because of the massive gap agger he left.

also bizzarely some blamed skrtel.

unfortunately some fans will use anything to make sure their favourite doesn't get pinpointed for a mistake.

note I didn't use the term "fanboy" ;)
Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline bclfc

• Legacy Fan
  • I think my F5 has gone weird
    • The Who Boys
« Reply #1666 on: November 22, 2013, 08:10:36 pm »
Wow, you'd never know this thread was supposed to be about Sakho.  Just sayin'.   :wave
"If people trust and love you, you will never walk alone." - Philippos

Quote from: shanklyboy on April  3, 2006, 12:04:44 AM

IF YOU'RE EVER SKINT ROMAN
          WE'VE GOT 5 EUROS

Offline robgreen91

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1667 on: November 22, 2013, 08:55:10 pm »
Johnson can be the one to provide width and remain in the opposition half, Agger only has to remain solid and give the likes of Coutinho, Suarez and Sturridge to attack with impunity. I liken the dynamic to Carra and Babbel.

thing is Coutinho starts as a LM and drifts everywhere.

so you really need an attacking/energetic fullback to keep using that left wing, running up and down non-stop otherwise it just becomes acres of space for the likes of coleman and mirallas to do with that they please. 

Sakho is not a LB, and i dont think he should play there, but out of him and agger it should be him.

personally i would just play agger and another CB, all 4 are class to be honest, i just like the calmness agger brings to the back four.

Offline kevin87

• Kopite
« Reply #1668 on: November 22, 2013, 09:44:47 pm »
Agger is not a left back. Very few centre backs are. Have people forgotten Adam Johnson so quickly?

or the southamton game?? Everytime we try to put a square peg in a round hole with our defensive set up we get burnt. Cissokho is Our LB back up, we need him as an outlet, we need his running and he can hold his own defensively. CB as Fullbacks in our set up just does not work.

I think sakho is great but how do you drop anyone after our best performace of the season? I think he'll be on the bench for the everton game. If we are having trouble with Lukaku bring him on at halftime, he's had a good amount of game time...his time will come.

Online Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1669 on: November 22, 2013, 11:30:33 pm »
Love Sakho.  :D
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1670 on: November 23, 2013, 12:19:07 am »
Great interview. Seems a bright guy.

Offline The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1671 on: November 23, 2013, 12:45:26 am »
"It was the biggest game of my life and the biggest day of my career so far," admits France's unlikely saviour. "When you play for a club you know you are representing the supporters but when you are playing for an entire nation, the entire population, in a World Cup qualifier, you know it is as big as it can get really.
RAWK's head is exploding!

Offline Aristotle

• is a bugger for the bottle. Apache tool wielder extraordinaire - especially in wardrobes. The 'Oral B' Specialist.....brushes his cavities vigorously outdoors.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Happiness depends upon ourselves
« Reply #1672 on: November 23, 2013, 01:54:14 am »
Sakho is making me warm to the idea of French people. Sacré blue!
My twitter
If Harry can get Spurs to the CL 1/4 final then he could get England to the World Cup final.

Offline Endoe

• Legacy Fan
  • A liverbird on my chest
« Reply #1673 on: November 23, 2013, 03:47:24 am »
I think he is.
Come off it, Hyypia was slow, Aggers a speed demon in comparison, never seen him found wanting for pace.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1674 on: November 23, 2013, 04:27:39 am »
Sakho Audrey Tautou is making me warm to the idea of French people. Sacré blue!

Edited.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1675 on: November 23, 2013, 07:32:29 am »
Sakho is making me warm to the idea of French people. Sacré blue!

Let's not get carried away ;).

Offline Hank Scorpio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #1676 on: November 23, 2013, 11:08:05 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxpV2CyP6n4
He's looking better and better with each passing week.

Starting to think that if we can't build a good defence with this guy, we will struggle to build a good defence full stop.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1677 on: November 23, 2013, 12:54:13 pm »
Yup Skrtel is better than Sakho

Offline Carly

• Rafa Obsessive. Wales Rugby Union fan. Defianately!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1678 on: November 23, 2013, 12:56:53 pm »
Yup Skrtel is better than Sakho

Not able to watch the game, but let me guess.  He was beat in the air by a more physical player?

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1679 on: November 23, 2013, 01:03:14 pm »
Set piece hell.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker