Author Topic: Kolo Toure  (Read 170776 times)

Offline Dani LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Liverpool sign Kolo Toure
« Reply #480 on: May 29, 2013, 12:44:26 pm »
Apart from Gary McAllister, our record of signing players in their 30s is cack.

Karl-Heinz Riedle
Jari Litmanen
Mauricio Pellegrino
Robbie Fowler
Craig Bellamy

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #481 on: May 29, 2013, 12:48:15 pm »
Karl-Heinz Riedle
Jari Litmanen
Mauricio Pellegrino
Robbie Fowler
Craig Bellamy

Aside of Bellamy and Litmanen, none of them really stand out as great 30+ signings. Pellegrino didn't do too well, Fowlers second stint was arguably nothing more than a PR stunt and Riedle didn't exactly do as well as expected. Bellamy was quite good and Litmanen joined us about 5 years too late.

When you hold McAllister up to these, well there's no real comparison. McAllister has been by far one of the best free signings we've made.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 12:51:52 pm by Shauno »
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #482 on: May 29, 2013, 01:00:27 pm »
total bullshit of experience card.

What is the point of experience if the plan is to sit on the bench ? Two 28 years old defenders in team are not experienced enough ? Both respective captains of their country ? The simple fact is Skrtel is leaving and hence the so called experience needed.

The simple fact is Carragher has retired and Toure has been brought in as a solid squad player with a wealth of Premier League experience who can step in and do a more than adequate job if required and bring the same type of qualities to the squad that Carragher did.  Toure has nothing to do with Martin Skrtel, he would have been a target whether Skrtel stays or goes.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.
« Reply #483 on: May 29, 2013, 01:05:16 pm »
Well on that method of evaluation so would Lescott don't you think?
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #484 on: May 29, 2013, 01:08:42 pm »
It's 100% necessary to cut the manager the slack if he wishes to give club youngsters 1st team experience. If the answer is ever NO, how the feck does any football team handle its essential succession planning?

That's the managers shout - he HAS to back himself to make the right call.
The fans are obligated to recognise this responsibility.

Cant agree with that, as sensible as it sounds.

Last summer the manager was left in a bit of a hole and had to put his faith in youngsters, and he was cut slack accordingly. There has to be a certain level of expectation now though, so if he decided that he'd bed more youngsters in this season at the cost of points and positions then I dare say he wouldn't be cut the same slack.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #485 on: May 29, 2013, 01:16:01 pm »
Aside of Bellamy and Litmanen, none of them really stand out as great 30+ signings. Pellegrino didn't do too well, Fowlers second stint was arguably nothing more than a PR stunt and Riedle didn't exactly do as well as expected. Bellamy was quite good and Litmanen joined us about 5 years too late.

When you hold McAllister up to these, well there's no real comparison. McAllister has been by far one of the best free signings we've made.

Got to take issue with that :D

Scored some important goals for us in those two seasons. Plus you cant really just rate the impact these guys had on the pitch without mentioning the impact they may well have had off it. Fowler, Litmanen and Riedle in their pomp were three of the best strikers in Europe. Pellegrino was very good too, plus enabled us to rest players in the lead up to Istanbul.

Not saying Toure is of that standard, but he's had a very good career and has been a very good player for a lot of it.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #486 on: May 29, 2013, 01:18:38 pm »
Well on that method of evaluation so would Lescott don't you think?

Maybe, if he's available.  We've obviously decided that Toure is the player who fits the bill for us, just reading what Neil Jones of the Echo has had to say on Twitter, that the Man City scouts recommended Toure's fitness and character and that Rodgers was particularly impressed by his performance against Christian Benteke.  On a free transfer and having taken what the Echo calls a "significant" pay cut I think we've gotten a very good deal in Toure, could we have done the same with Lescott?

Offline Lucas DuoFlush

• Legacy Fan
  • Bring Poulsy back!
« Reply #487 on: May 29, 2013, 01:27:00 pm »
The Greek was a successful signing anyway. He made a few mistakes (like every defender) but he was treated warmly by us and when he went most people were a little sad (though understood we had to release him). Bit of a cult figure and was magnificent in the air.
"Bos non modo animal, sed etiam mater" Lordanem Henderson

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #488 on: May 29, 2013, 01:27:10 pm »
A few years ago we signed Rangers reject Kyrgiakos as cover, a few years before that we signed a barely mobile Pellegrino as cover.

I think Toure has more to offer us now than either of those two did at that time. If he starts 15-20 league games next season I won't lose too much sleep.

There's a difference. Back then we needed cover and we signed backup players. It was about giving us cover on the cheap. Now we need to add a first pick and we've signed a backup player. Status quo. The only reasonable explanation for this is we're selling another player (or two) to finance that first pick.

I think this signing needs to be seen in a bigger context to make sense. We'll get the whole picture later on. But right now, I reckon we're on the same number of players as we were. And we are no better as a team.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Online CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #489 on: May 29, 2013, 01:29:50 pm »
If you're good enough, you're young enough.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #490 on: May 29, 2013, 01:31:44 pm »
But right now, I reckon we're on the same number of players as we were. And we are no better as a team.

If we're going by that rationale, then we're already stronger as a team because we've lost Carra but gained Toure, Carroll and Spearing.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #491 on: May 29, 2013, 01:35:32 pm »
i swear if we signed Messi somebody would be in here saying not for me, waste of money!
Mellowing and Retired, and stayed around long enough to watch the Tories implode

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #492 on: May 29, 2013, 01:36:14 pm »

Many a good tune played on an old fiddle!
Mellowing and Retired, and stayed around long enough to watch the Tories implode

Offline Entropicity

• Anny Roader
« Reply #493 on: May 29, 2013, 01:36:44 pm »
Kop Only Loves One Toure  ;D

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #494 on: May 29, 2013, 01:40:56 pm »
If we're going by that rationale, then we're already stronger as a team because we've lost Carra but gained Toure, Carroll and Spearing.

Touche. :D

Just think we need to see this signing for what it is later on. Let's say, for arguments sake, that we sign a top class CB with the money we get from selling for example Coates and Skrtel. Then it makes sense to add Toure on a free. In particular if we also plan to give Wisdom/Kelly or some other Academy player games at CB. Then we phase Toure out and we phase one of those in. Fine. He's a player for a transition period.

But we need to see this. I don't think Toure on his own has improved us. It's status quo. And if we add a 32-year old to keep status quo, well, then it's a bit pointless. Toure's signing will only make sense later on.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #495 on: May 29, 2013, 01:42:30 pm »
Many a good tune played on an old fiddle!

Kolo Toure = Stradivarius? On a free?

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #496 on: May 29, 2013, 01:48:06 pm »
Touche. :D

Just think we need to see this signing for what it is later on. Let's say, for arguments sake, that we sign a top class CB with the money we get from selling for example Coates and Skrtel. Then it makes sense to add Toure on a free. In particular if we also plan to give Wisdom/Kelly or some other Academy player games at CB. Then we phase Toure out and we phase one of those in. Fine. He's a player for a transition period.

But we need to see this. I don't think Toure on his own has improved us. It's status quo. And if we add a 32-year old to keep status quo, well, then it's a bit pointless. Toure's signing will only make sense later on.

Yep, completely agree.

All the signs point to us signing at least one more player at CB.

But on the flip side, and I hesitate to say this, even if we signed no-one and Toure WAS signed as first choice, it still might improve us..... Not to say Toure is a better defender than Carra, but he may well be more comfortable playing a higher line and in one on ones, and thus also get the best out of our fullbacks, Agger, Reina and our defensive mids and in turn the whole team.

Considering how many 'technical' people we have at the club, and how much attention we pay to small details, I'd suggest we've signed Toure for a reason over him just being experienced. He may actually be an upgrade on Carra, purely for his ability to play in a preferred Rodgers system.

Offline BigRed100

• Main Stander
  • Fowler09
« Reply #497 on: May 29, 2013, 01:50:11 pm »
Don't know how I feel about this one to be honest. But anyway, welcome.
This.

Welcome Kolo - now go lose a few pound before pre-season please!
Sex Panther... 60% of the time, it works EVERY time!

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #498 on: May 29, 2013, 01:50:11 pm »
didnt know we are signing only Kolo during the summer

bad Brendan!
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #499 on: May 29, 2013, 01:54:17 pm »
Got to take issue with that :D

Scored some important goals for us in those two seasons. Plus you cant really just rate the impact these guys had on the pitch without mentioning the impact they may well have had off it. Fowler, Litmanen and Riedle in their pomp were three of the best strikers in Europe. Pellegrino was very good too, plus enabled us to rest players in the lead up to Istanbul.

Not saying Toure is of that standard, but he's had a very good career and has been a very good player for a lot of it.

I don't doubt that he did, but Fowler's second spell with us was as much a token signing than anything else. I don't think anybody expected him to really return and find a form of the Fowler of old, shake off some Injury problems he had and finish off his career with Liverpool. However, it was a really nice feeling seeing him back and I'm sure the locker room and academy where a bit stoked to have him back.

And I'm not denying that they where, in their prime, excellent players, but at 30+ signing for us, they didn't exactly make the impact that Gary McAllister had. True, they where signed as utility players, but the original point I was making was that the OP held them up against McAllister, they where in no way as good, or influential as Gary McAllister.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline eLToRo

• Legacy Fan
  • Living the dream
« Reply #500 on: May 29, 2013, 02:08:12 pm »
Soto was useful though mate. The big man was not world class or anything, but he was relatively solid.
Hopefully Kolo can give us even more.

Fair point. I'm not sure if he was 100 per cent solid but I cant remember him making any big mistakes and he scores a fair few aswell.

Kolo is a proven centre back in the Premier League. He played in great teams and know what it is like to win. The only reason he has stopped playing as much in the last 2 years is biggest they bought Lescott and like always at City the next player just gets dropped to be replaced by the guy they plaid more money for. Even though Toure is probably better than Lescott.

Great signing. He was great against us this year and is a better player than Carragher( in the last few years and debatably overall) so we are improved already as a squad. already.

Online amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #501 on: May 29, 2013, 02:10:49 pm »

The same rule applies to posters on Rawk too.

Offline Dani LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #502 on: May 29, 2013, 02:16:06 pm »
Kolo Toure to sign for Liverpool on July 1

By James Pearce
29 May 2013

Kolo Toure is joining Liverpool FC on a free transfer from Manchester City after agreeing a two-year contract.

The 32-year-old defender passed his medical and finalised personal terms yesterday to become the Reds' first signing of the summer.

Toure’s current deal at Eastlands expires at the end of June so he will officially become a Liverpool player on July 1.

The ECHO understands that in moving to Anfield, the Ivory Coast international, who earns around £90,000 per week at City, has taken a significant pay cut.

Boss Brendan Rodgers has made no secret of his desire to add more experience to his ranks during the transfer window and firmly believes the centre-back fits the bill.

Toure has graced the Premier League for more than a decade and has won the title with both Arsenal and Man City.

He is viewed as a valuable squad player rather than as a direct replacement for retired vice-captain Jamie Carragher.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-sign-kolo-toure-4025219

Offline Crackerjack Sam

• Legacy Fan
  • Egyptian Magician
« Reply #503 on: May 29, 2013, 02:19:38 pm »
Good signing. end of
PSN ID - hajme1   
Sticking to RAWK I am.  Real forum, real mods, real fans, fair and unbiased opinions etc..etc.. 8)

Offline brownie 09

• Long-winded.....but never mind :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • twitter - brownie09RAWK
« Reply #504 on: May 29, 2013, 02:26:48 pm »
"@LivEchoLFC 4m
You can re-read our Kolo #Toure webchat with Rob Dawson here http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/live-what-kolo-toure-bring-4027199 …"

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #505 on: May 29, 2013, 02:33:54 pm »
This.

Welcome Kolo - now go lose a few pound before pre-season please!

He's already agreed to a pay cut. :P

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #506 on: May 29, 2013, 02:39:57 pm »
Confident this will turn out a good signing.
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline Bird Bird Bird The Bird Is The Word

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brace for Impact
« Reply #507 on: May 29, 2013, 02:52:30 pm »
Welcome to Liverpool Kolo!

It's an odd transfer, it's very easy to stand back and think "He's on a free, has been playing well for City, their fans are unhappy about losing him, he's apparently taken a wage cut, so what's the catch?", however I think we've acted quickly and taken advantage of a club that is currently not being ran very well, much like how we took advantage of Inter and Chelsea in January.

If we can get another centre half like Kyriakos Papadopoulos, then we'll have three very good centre backs able to challenge for the two positions and then maybe Coates or another signing as back-up, I think we'll be in a very strong position for dealing with fatigue and fixtures.

Offline LincsRedbob

• Legacy Fan
  • Hold your head up high
« Reply #508 on: May 29, 2013, 02:53:40 pm »
need to see a picture of his face impressed on a cola cube now
Fought them all the way. Proud to be amongst some great supporters.

SOS member 4969        12.09.12 JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.
« Reply #509 on: May 29, 2013, 03:20:57 pm »
ElLobo posted:- Cant agree with that, as sensible as it sounds.

Last summer the manager was left in a bit of a hole and had to put his faith in youngsters, and he was cut slack accordingly. There has to be a certain level of expectation now though, so if he decided that he'd bed more youngsters in this season at the cost of points and positions then I dare say he wouldn't be cut the same slack.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what do you suggest is the way the fella in charge bloods his youngsters - back then now or in the future? Doing it on the training pitch is no substitute for the match-day scenario and when a manager has little funds at his disposal, what other choices does he or indeed do the fans have?
In crude parlance it's called shit or get off the pot time. The fans have either to back his hunches or cut him adrift after a while of waiting.

It was the same at United in 1989 when Fergie's arse was hangin' out the window until the class of 92 came through the youth ranks - and I think you know the rest of that story.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 03:23:45 pm by Johnnowhite »
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline penga

• What you get if you cross Pingu with Jenga.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #510 on: May 29, 2013, 04:04:12 pm »
Pretty much brought in to replace Carragher like for like. Good experienced player to add to depth but as has been suggested not sure he is 1st choice. He has been outcompeted by a young Nastasic in his 1st year basically. Better option than Ashley Williams due to price but he is lacking height and 40% odd aerial duel win rate is not going to solve our problems in the air.

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #511 on: May 29, 2013, 04:25:11 pm »
I'm assuming the manager and transfer committee have selected Papadopoulos for that role. What little I've seen of him is good, but that's what they get paid for.
So we're expecting our defence to be led by a 21-year old, who's been out for over 6 months (I think)? I don't watch Schalke and didn't pay much attention to Greece at Euro 2012, so I'm not disputing his quality (I haven't got a clue how good he is), but I'd be quite worried if Papa and Agger (could easily be injured), backed up by Toure, were our three main centre halfs at the start of the season.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #512 on: May 29, 2013, 04:48:29 pm »
Toure is a good signing for us.  With Carra gone it should be relatively cash neutral wages wise; he'll be no slower than Carra and he's just as experienced.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #513 on: May 29, 2013, 05:01:12 pm »
What I like about this signing is that if you want to win trophies or to challenge, you want players in your side who have the experience in winning must-win games. Toure having being in two squads that have won titles should have this experience, which is what I hope he will bring to our side.

Offline ManchesterBlue

• Hologram fan with digital flag 'full members cup runners up 1986'.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blue Moon, you saw me standing alone
Re: Re: Liverpool sign Kolo Toure
« Reply #514 on: May 29, 2013, 05:05:22 pm »
Toure is a good signing for us.  With Carra gone it should be relatively cash neutral wages wise; he'll be no slower than Carra and he's just as experienced.
He's quite a bit quicker than Carragher I'd say but not as much of a leader on the pitch.

Offline mulfella

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hedgehogs are boss
« Reply #515 on: May 29, 2013, 05:14:03 pm »

Cash Neutral? He's likely to be on significantly less than Carra was.
A place full of grammer Nazi's?
'Grammar' and no apostrophe in 'nazis'.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #516 on: May 29, 2013, 05:19:13 pm »
So we're expecting our defence to be led by a 21-year old, who's been out for over 6 months (I think)? I don't watch Schalke and didn't pay much attention to Greece at Euro 2012, so I'm not disputing his quality (I haven't got a clue how good he is), but I'd be quite worried if Papa and Agger (could easily be injured), backed up by Toure, were our three main centre halfs at the start of the season.

Granted, we wouldn't want to replace two thirds of our senior centre backs in a single summer. Rodgers had little influence over Carragher's retirement, but it seems didn't get the leadership (or reaction) he wanted from Skrtel. It looks like we're approaching it fairly sensibly if that's what we have to do - an experienced player and a younger one; if we don't go for a younger player, we'll be looking at constantly having to address the position. I trust that we'll have done our homework on the knee injury and be confident that it's not of long term significance. I also think that if we are also looking at (for example) Llori to replace Coates, the manager will have a 4th choice he's more confident of using should the need arise.

There's some risk to the strategy, sure.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #517 on: May 29, 2013, 05:22:28 pm »
Skrtel and Coates are still here. Are we going to assume that they won't be here and we will not be getting anyone when the season starts then? That's a lot of assumptions to make

Offline Rusty

• loser mate whose french is a little.....Rusty.....n'est-ce pas?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #518 on: May 29, 2013, 05:42:42 pm »
Decent signing on a freebie, assuming his wages aren't enormous (which it doesn't sound like they are). Should bring some experience to the backline in case we are looking to give either Kelly or Wisdom some games in the centre maybe in the cups.

I would also expect us to get another bigger-money first pick centre back signing as well this summer, as well as cover at left back (after Enrique our options are Downing or Robinson).
He's made Kaizer wet himself with excitement then cry when he realises all in one post. Ban him? Knight him in the new year's honours!

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #519 on: May 29, 2013, 05:54:27 pm »
Welcome to the club Kolo!

I've always liked him, as he's always seemed like a strong, hard-working, no-nonsense centre-back.

Makes sense as a guy to fill in the void left by Carragher. Probably nowhere near the leadership qualities but nevertheless, a decorated career and 3 years younger than Carra so he should be able to give us a couple of decent seasons hopefully.

I might have missed this bit, but does anyone know how long the contract is? I'd assume 2 years would be appropriate...
Those who dwell, as scientists or laymen, among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life. - Rachel Carson